Hawaii passes “Islam Day” law

Started by Teresa, May 07, 2009, 10:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

http://michellemalkin.com/2009/05/06/hawaii-passes-islam-day-law/

QuoteHawaii's state Senate overwhelmingly approved a bill Wednesday to celebrate "Islam Day" _ over the objections of a few lawmakers who said they didn't want to honor a religion connected to Sept. 11, 2001.

...The resolution to proclaim Sept. 24, 2009, as Islam Day passed the Senate on a 22-3 vote. It had previously passed the House.

The bill seeks to recognize "the rich religious, scientific, cultural and artistic contributions" that Islam and the Islamic world have made.

Malkin notes:
QuoteThere is, as far as I know, no "Christianity Day" designation in Hawaiian law, though the state did designate Good Friday a government holiday, which courts ruled was "primarily proposed to increase the frequency of legal holidays."

No such rationale here.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

dnalexander

HCR100 is a resolution not a law. I am being very technical I know. Not trying to start a fight, just hoping that this might prompt us to learn more about the legal system|government. I may even be wrong, but I don't think so.

David

Teresa

I don't even begin to try to pretend I know anything about the legal system.
Just about the time I think I might have a clue.. the laws change........... :-\

I do honestly try to read some on it...but to tell you the truth it bores me so bad I give up.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Diane Amberg

Be it resolved that David did clear that up this Thursday the 7th of May 2009.

dnalexander

Quote from: Diane Amberg on May 07, 2009, 05:49:31 PM
Be it resolved that David did clear that up this Thursday the 7th of May 2009.

Diane I don't think I cleared up anything because if I did I have different responses depending if this is a law or a resolution. Diane if that was lawyer speak I got the point, but since I understood it my guess is you are not a lawyer.

David

Varmit

"Islam Day"...in the same month that we were attacked by Islamic Jihadists.  Completely and utterly stupid.   >:(
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Wilma

I am a little upset with this, but Hawaii is not my state and therefore, not any of my business.  However, I cannot see the purpose of having a day for one religion and not having a day for other religions.

Hey, I think I agreed with Billy.  Now it is Billy's turn again.

Varmit

Quote from: Wilma on May 07, 2009, 07:11:55 PM
I am a little upset with this, but Hawaii is not my state and therefore, not any of my business. 

Hawaii is part of the United States, I am a U.S. citizen therefore it is my business.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

dnalexander

Quote from: BillyakaVarmit on May 07, 2009, 07:07:13 PM
"Islam Day"...in the same month that we were attacked by Islamic Jihadists.  Completely and utterly stupid.   >:(

I noticed the date too. I don't place much concern on resolutions or proclamations. Christmas is Christians Day. Easter is Judeo-Christian Day. Cinco de Mayo, Brittney Spears Day, St. Patrick's (Pepelect's Day), Halloween etc. Terrorist day no no matter whether law or resolution I wouldn't support.If we wanted to celebrate Nazi Day I would as long as we condemn Hitler and celebrate the fact he was defeated. My point being is I think there is a better day and month. I love celebrating all cultures that make up  the United States. If this is a law then I have a whole other approach and I don't support if any of those were laws.

David

Varmit

The problem with this is that it singles out one religion and one group.  Not for any particluar religious reason but to celebrate the contributions of muslims.  Christmas and Easter are observed to celebrate the birth of Christ and the Resurrection, it has nothing to do with the folks that hold christian beliefs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk