The real facts.

Started by dnalexander, May 01, 2009, 03:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

I simply wanted to state that slavery cannot be a Christian ideal, so our founding fathers weren't as Christian as we think. They too were the politicians of their time. They didn't want trouble from slave holding colonies. It was politically convenient to overlook slavery in favor of other things, so they did. Slavery being legal then doesn't suddenly make it Christian.

redcliffsw

So - are you saying that nowadays, our society and we are more Christian
than those folks in the early days of the USA?

Even with legal slavery back then, how can we be so much greater or
so much more "civilized"?

Varmit

Diane you show me someone today that is a perfect Christian?  Yes they had slaves.  That doesn't make the Ideals any less Christian.  Do you know how many quotes there are from the Founders espousing their belief in God and that gov't actions should be based on those Ideals?
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

redcliffsw

Black columnist Walter Williams has some good points too:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?pageId=96411

Diane Amberg

You missed the point! Even they would set aside their Christian beliefs when  there was a political advantage. It s not about who is or isn't a better Christian. It's about politics then and now. Politicians then as now often say things that they don't actually do.   

Wilma

A perfect Christian?  I lived beside two when I was growing up.  They lived their Christianity every day.  Then there was a lady in Severy that was as perfect as a human can be.  And later I worked taxes for a couple that had such an aura about them that you could feel it and it made you feel good.  Later their daughter came in and she had the same aura.  Yes there are Christians that are as perfect as humans can be.  I wish I were one of them.

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on May 02, 2009, 10:22:29 AM
I simply wanted to state that slavery cannot be a Christian ideal, so our founding fathers weren't as Christian as we think. They too were the politicians of their time. They didn't want trouble from slave holding colonies. It was politically convenient to overlook slavery in favor of other things, so they did. Slavery being legal then doesn't suddenly make it Christian.
Since christians are to emulate God, then are you saying that God wasno't as Godlike as he should have been?   The reason i ask is God did not condemn slavery.  He in fact set rules for the slave holder to follow  concerning their slaves.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

dnalexander

Who was I trying to kid anyway? We all know there was no way I could stay out of politics. To those of you that want to bicker; carry on your petulant, rude, insolent quarreling. (Billy that is not the same as pithy). I can meet any one on their own terms. How dare I ask for anyone to stop bickering. Now I will try to reply to all your posts. To those of you that considered what I had to say thank you.

Diane you can never do anything wrong in my eyes, if you do you have a free pass by me.

Teresa, you know I am way more than just coffee and poetry. I appreciate the site. Just don't like the bickering. My mom is a real blonde so I don't subscribe to the dumb blonde theory.

Jo I know you support your daughter. You remind me of my Aunts and I think you are a great person.

Larry I agree with your whole post. I spent many years in LA and I am glad you are here. Maybe I can hook you up with my LA buddies that also, support the 2nd Amendment.

Wilma, I respect your wisdom. You get a free pass too.

SuperWarph. I have always learned a lot from you. I respect you. Keep up the good work. Besides where else can I go and be called a kid except here with all you old folks? Lois is fine. I forgot to do the laundry the other day and had to wear one of her g-strings. I live in California, thought I would get in touch with my feminine side. Now I know what getting your panties in a bunch means. Obvious from my original post. You don't have to have Diane and\or Catwoman set me straight they would do it on there own if they thought it necessary.

Billy thanks for all your posts. I appreciate all your hard work and the fact that you reply to all posts.

Billy, redcliffsw, Sarge. I share many of your Libertarian thoughts.

Everyone thanks for just considering my request to minimize the bickering.

David

Catwoman

I would never try to "straighten" you up, David.. ;D...You're perfect the way you are!  I am one who truly appreciated your efforts to maintain some old-fashioned civility on this Forum.  It is very easy for the process of arguing the points to become thinly veiled cyber-bullying when the points are not agreed upon in a like manner. 

dnalexander

Quote from: Catwoman on May 02, 2009, 10:41:03 PM
I would never try to "straighten" you up, David.. ;D...You're perfect the way you are!  I am one who truly appreciated your efforts to maintain some old-fashioned civility on this Forum.  It is very easy for the process of arguing the points to become thinly veiled cyber-bullying when the points are not agreed upon in a like manner. 

Thank you Catwoman, but you know I am not puuuurrrrfect. Thank you for supporting my stance on some old fashioned civility. We all stray from that lesson from time to time. It is one of my most cherished lessons from being a "Kansas Boy", the world can use a good dose of good old fashioned Midwestern manners.

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk