Arrogant Americans, Mr. President?

Started by kshillbillys, April 26, 2009, 04:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

Why does the rest of the world think Americans are arrogant?

Diane Amberg

Billy, Yuk! Somebody may lose his head for letting that get out. But you are generalizing again, Billy. Not everybody does that kind of thing. Should I say all priests abuse little boys? All men kill their wives? All women gossip? ;D  All prisoners were water boarded? All women who were inconvenienced by an unwanted pregnancy aborted the baby? No, of course not. There is a lot of generalizing on the political threads. I may do it too. How about "fair and balanced", even Fox claims to do that. I'm not near as big an Obama fan as you think I am, but he's facing a number of monetary challenges that are like nothing we've ever seen before. I don't think there is a "Right" answer. It's going to be trial and error until somebody gets it working. He will make mistakes. Please don't assume that anyone anywhere that jumps in front of a camera and a mike represents the whole of their population. Not everyone looks down their noses at us. Our president does represent us in the world, but there are other "leaders" who are hated by most of their countrymen. Sometimes being a statesman means getting your hands dirty. It's politics. Perhaps they shouldn't have allowed photo ops. Keep in mind the media can create as much public feeling as the politicians do. Perhaps Pres. Bush made the world feel we were an arrogant country?

Varmit

I was not generalizing, I was just wondering why there isn't much outcry on this.  Monteray Challenges..the Great Depression, the recession in the 70's..we've been here before.  Yes our president does represet us to the rest of the world, so why is he apologizing for things we didn't do?  Why is he bowing to leaders that allow this kind of thing?  Why is he "reaching out" to those leaders that hate us? 

I know that so-called reporters do not represent the whole population.  I never said that they did. 
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Diane Amberg

Why does "bowing" push your button so easily?  Pres. Bush shook hands with people he didn't care for either, I'm sure.

sixdogsmom

And president Bush was photographed kissing that same king. Where is the outcry about that?
Edie

W. Gray

Holy Cow, did Bush come out of the closet?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Varmit

Shaking hands is a symbol of or mutual greeting between two equals.

Kissing of the cheek is also a greeting.

Bowing is a show of respect, humilaty, and of being inferior to someone or thing. 
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Diane Amberg

How about "submissive" rather than inferior. International protocol can be really tricky! I'm  glad I don't have to memorize it all. I'd insult somebody for sure!

Varmit

Okay, so why then would the president of the United States show "submissivness" to a foregin power?

To bad Nobama didn't think about insulting anyone when he went on his apologizing trip.

Wilma

My dictionary says that "to bow" is a sign of respect, greeting or  shame.  I don't find humility, inferior or submissive anywhere.  IMHO it was a bow of respect which all leaders everywhere should show to each other.  Perhaps Obama's bow of "respect" will have a chain reaction resulting in greater respect for each other all over the world.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk