Bush returns for Hall of Fame dinner, induction

Started by frawin, April 24, 2009, 07:18:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

Bush returns for Hall of Fame dinner, induction

From Staff Reports
Published: Thursday, April 23, 2009 10:27 PM CDT
"I learned a lot here — one, not to try and be a big shot. Principles matter more than popularity. Popularity is fleeting, but principles are forever. Many of the principles I (kept) in public life I learned in Midland."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Former President George W. and first lady Laura Bush returned to their former hometown Thursday to participate in ceremonies installing the former president and four others into the Petroleum Hall of Fame. His father, former President George H.W. Bush, was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1991.

Also celebrating their induction at a dinner held before 1,000 people at Midland Center were James C. Henry, the team of Ted Collins Jr. and the late Herb Ware and the late Johnny Warren. The new group brings to 128 the number of inductees into the Hall of Fame since it began in 1968.

Bush kept a private schedule while in Midland, spending the day seeing old friends. He returned to Dallas following the event, which was closed to the media.

Bush, according to those in attendance, thanked the selection committee for choosing him to go into the Hall of Fame, which makes its inductions every other year. "I'm thankful you didn't have to find much oil to get in," Bush quipped.

Before Bush's remarks, Henry said he never expected to win an award like this and said his Bush was his hero. "He's fought our fights for us," Henry said.

Bush thanked Henry and Collins for their friendship over the years. He also gave his regards to Johnny Warren's wife, Carol Warren, and the Warren family. "It was great to see the four Ware children," he added.

He said Midland has meant a lot to him. "I never forgot Midland when I became president. How could I? I married a Midland girl," Bush said. He added he has been in front of many rallies over the past 14 years, but none held as much meaning as the 30,000 people gathered Jan. 20 in downtown Midland.

The next morning, at their ranch in Crawford, Bush said he told Laura Bush, "Free at last." She told him he was now free to do the dishes, mow the lawn and make the bed.

"I told her she was talking to the former president. She said consider it your domestic agenda," Bush said. "I learned a lot here — one, not to try and be a big shot. Principles matter more than popularity. Popularity is fleeting, but principles are forever. Many of the principles I (kept) in public life I learned in Midland."

He added he learned about taking risks and the importance of neighbors helping each other. "Thank you for your friendship and thanks to Midland for shaping my life and may God bless you all."

According to nominator Joseph O'Neill, Bush "personifies that criteria as expressed in the charter of the Permian Basin Petroleum Museum Hall of Fame, 'to honor those persons who have made outstanding contributions to the development of the petroleum industry or who have served as worthy examples of service, strength of character and achievement for the inspiration and education of present and future generations.'"

After receiving a MBA from Harvard Business School, Bush moved to Midland to begin a career in the energy business. He started as a landman and later formed his own independent company, Arbusto Energy, which later merged with Spectrum Energy. In 1980, he then turned to working on his father's political campaign. Bush then moved to Dallas and became the general partner of the Texas Rangers baseball team.

Diane Amberg

redcliffsw

Sure, Bush is pleased with this honor. Yet, Bush has never shown any
regret for his removal of the Confederate plaques in the Texas Supreme
Court building in 2000 while he was Texas governor.   Bush did it for the
NAACP to get the black presidential vote which never happened.  So far the
Confederate plaques have not been returned to their rightful place in the
Supreme Court building.

Bush might be a good ole boy, but he's on the wrong side of a number of
issues, he's quite liberal, and he's not a real Texan.

frawin

Redcliff, how can you say that Bush is a Liberal?? Also, how can you say Bush is not a true Texan, he has lived almost his entire life in Texas, served as a two term Governor. I can tell you that George W. Bush is very popular in Midland, Texas and Midland is the home of Conservative politics in America. I don't often disagree with what you say but I think you are misjudging. 

redcliffsw

Frank, I can say that most of the time I agree with you,
I like your insight and I certainly appreciate your views.  You
admiration of Bush is OK with me.

I know real Texans that want those Confederate plaques returned
and I believe it's only right and I hope that you'll agree with me on
this matter after you have further researched it.

Stay on 'em.

frawin

Redcliff, I agree with you and your political and the personal values that you express. I did not address the issue of the Confederate Plaques, but I am well aware of it . I worked with and did business with lots of FAR-FAR--Right Conservatives and the issue of the Plaques was/is  a mixed bag of opinions . I think if it were put to a vote of the People of of the great state of Texas they would say it is time to get past the Civil War and move on. That said, I am also aware that Texas is overrun with illegals and former illegals that are going to quickly out number and out vote the conservative right in Texas. My greatest disappointment is what we are letting happen to Texas, Arizona, California and all of the boder areas, and the United States as whole when it comes to immigration. We need to close our Borders Completely until we can get control of the people coming in. The taxpayer costs for the Illegals is very high, in fact it is bankrupting the Hospital districts in all of the Border States. We are providing free medical, free education and jobs for over 15 million people that are not citizens. I guess I got off of the subject but it is of great concern to me and for the future of my children and grandchildren. Time is running out.

frawin

On November 8, 1994, George W. Bush was elected the 46th Governor of Texas. He became the first Governor in Texas history to be elected to consecutive 4-year terms when he was re-elected on November 3, 1998. In Austin, he earned a reputation for his bipartisan governing approach and his compassionate conservative philosophy, which was based on limited government, personal responsibility, strong families, and local control.

Redcliff, the above in an excerpt from an article about former President George W. Bush, my point on this is that he was elected a second time as Governor, after the Plaques were removed, which tells me the majority of the voters were not opposed or upset over removal of the Confederate palques.

Varmit

They propably weren't.  Sadlly, the Dixie flag has become known as a symbol of racism and hate.  In a way it's kinda funny, it is actually more of a symbol of freedom than the american flag.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

redcliffsw

Frank, I'm not for putting any of our American Heritage to a vote, nor am I in favor of discriminating against any of our American veterans; and our Confederate veterans are American veterans as recognized by Congress.

Neither do I support removing our monuments and landmarks.  To do so is not compassion and in my opinion it's not Texan either.

Bush removed the Confederate plaques in 2000 and he never stood for re-election as governor of Texas after that.

Wish I had time to find the wording on the plaques, but here's some info:
http://slrc-csa.org/site/pr/2004/pr06-08-2004.php

Sometimes I stop at Montereys Mexican there in Bv.  I'd enjoy meeting you one of these days and I'm sure we'd have a good visit.

redcliffsw

Billy, I can agree with that for sure.  The Confederate army was the last military force to stand for our founding
fathers and the Constitution.

Frank, here's some info about two (2) Texas brothers who were good Americans and served  in the Confederacy:

http://www.georgiaheritagecouncil.org/site2/news/Benavides_flyer.pdf   
http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/BB/fbe76.html

Nothing like having a little "true" history lesson since the Fed's won't and perhaps Bush never learned his history correctly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk