Coming to a School near you...

Started by Varmit, April 23, 2009, 06:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobina+1

Back to my point, EXACTLY!  That's why there are different types of post-secondary education institutions; to appeal to many different people's interests and learning types.  Like I stated before; none are "better" than another... they all have their different focus and appeal to different people. 
Again, the most important thing is that kids are given the opportunity to choose and attend whichever type of education they want.  High school needs to teach kids the basics.  Yes, some try to incorporate different types of learning styles into the classrooms, but certain subjects need to be taught no matter what.  It's when kids get past high school that they (and the parents) need to identify how the kid learns and what interests that kid, too.  Just because you got along fine at a University and earned a BS or MS or whatever, doesn't mean your child will succeed in that environment.  Same goes for Tech schools or just "plain old hard work".  Generally, I've noticed that people who are miserable in life and in work, didn't have the opportunity to succeed on their own... meaning they were either forced to stay home from school and work "because their parents did and got along just fine", or they were forced to go to a University and become an X and never have the chance to figure out that they really wanted to be a Y.
I can't remember the exact amount, but that's why I was so impressed this year during the West Elk scholarship night... I think somewhere around $50,000 was given out to students in scholarships!  Everyone from ag students to nursing students to students attending tech schools had the opportunity to earn scholarships.  Some are based on grades, some are based on what field they will be entering, and some are based on need.  But as a community, we are helping to educate the future.  Even those kids who choose not to go to school probably have the opportunity to find a job and work for someone in the county... which in my mind is STILL continuing education!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk