Coming to a School near you...

Started by Varmit, April 23, 2009, 06:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

Peyote buttons are natural but that doesn't make them good. ;D

Catwoman

:o ::) :o  I leave you all alone for a few days and just SEE the shape that you all get into! lol  ;D ;D 

Varmit

Whatever, you guys are like so immature... ::)

This is off topic i suppose but I found this list of books that have been banned in some public schools, do any of you know if that is the case for Elk schools:

1)  The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
2)  Catcher in the Rye
3)  To Kill a Mockingbird
4)  Bridge to Terabithia
5)  Lord of the Flies
6)  Of Mice and Men
7)  The Color Purple
8 )  The Harry Potter Series
9)  Slaughterhouse five
10) The Bluest Eye
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Diane Amberg

Immature? To whom are you speaking?  >:(

momof 2boys

To my knowledge, none of those books are banned at West Elk schools.

sixdogsmom

All of these books would be on my must read list as well as many others!  ;)
Edie

Varmit

I would agree, most of them should be required reading, a few were when I was in school.  However, they are the top ten most banned books in american schools.  Some because of sexual innuendo, violence, and racial slurs and use of the word nigger.  Other because of the use of witchcraft, or the depiction of characters being disrespectful to adults. 
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Diane Amberg

When I was in school, "Peyton Place" was the hot book because it wasn't suitable for kids. So of course I wanted to read it to see why! ;D ;D ;D 

Wilma

W. Gray

Diane,

The book, Peyton Place, I thought, even then, was tame. Either that, or I am not remembering very good.

However, there was one passage I think of to this day when I see (on the screen), a man kissing the back of a ladies hand when they are introduced.

The movie Peyton Place seemed even duller.

I never watched the TV series but it actually ran two nights a week and even at one point went to three nights.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk