Four Corners

Started by W. Gray, April 21, 2009, 10:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

For those folks on the Forum who have put their foot on the X spot and were excited because they were standing in four states at the same time might be disappointed to hear the X spot is 2.5 miles off of actual.

The Denver Post reports this morning that new readings by the National Geodetic Survey of an 1868 survey show that the X spot is actually totally inside Utah.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

D Whetstone

I heard that story on NPR (yes, I am a public radio listener) this morning. They reported also that there would be no plans to move the X spot.  So, for a tourist, I am not sure the significance now of standing in that spot.  Maybe, instead of standing in four states at once, a person will be able to say that they have stood on a spot in Utah that millions of others have too.  Pretty cool, eh? ;)

W. Gray

I first heard of this spot when in the fifth grade when a classmate told me his family stopped there while on vacation during the previous summer (this was when people had to carry canvas water bags on their cars when going through the desert). I was enthused and hoped that I might stop there one day and put my foot in four states at once.

I was in my forties before I did. As I recall the spot is off of a major highway (Route 66?) and had a bunch of Indian vendors selling their wares out of portable kiosks at outrageous prices. There was nothing else around.

I agree and doubt if anyone would want to stop way out in the middle of nowhere if it has no meaning. I cannot recall if that is federal land all around but someone is sure to mark the actual spot to start a new tourist stop.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

I've been there too and nothing has changed. ;D  Maybe they'll just add a little inconspicuous marker at the right spot and we can stand on both. 8)

W. Gray

Four corners is off of US 160 and all the land for miles around is federal land.

Diane Amberg

Yes. We toured all through Monument Valley too.

Tobina+1

So that makes me wonder... the "See Seven States" place on I-70 in Colorado... are you actually looking at the 7 states??   ???

W. Gray

That spot on I-70 at Genoa, Colorado, east of Denver, is supposedly on the highest elevation between Denver and New York.

The highway through there used to be U.S.40 and the place got its start in 1926.

In 1926, I think the owner sent six people, each with a red flag, out to six states. When he yelled at each of them, that person waved his red flag. That way one could tell they were in six states. Of course, if the surveys were off..... ;D

Ripley, himself, supposedly confirmed that one could see six states.

There is a "wonder tower" and museum that costs $1 for entry but I have never stopped there.

When passing, you can always see a number of cars parked in the parking lot, however, they are permanent junkies. There are also fake people looking out from the top of the tower.

The town of Genoa is at 5,604 feet and has 200 people.

I think see seven states is in Georgia somewhere?

Diane Amberg

Did you perchance mean "junkers"? ;D ;D ;D ;D I sure wouldn't visit if there were permanent "junkies" hanging around.  :o Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. :-[

W. Gray

I had junkers to begin with and changed it to junkies.

I suppose the automobiles' physical conditions are pretty close to being that of a junkie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk