Hmmmm... The plot thickens

Started by Teresa, April 14, 2009, 11:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

Varmint, just to satisfy my own warped curiosity, in Ireland, who's right, the Protestants or the Catholics?  Also, were the Puritans and Pilgrims "good Christians?" If so, why were they driven out?  Doesn't it all depend on one's perspective?

pam

Oh DIANE  :o What a can of worms ! Whos right depends which side you are on :P Ireland is a prime example of the damage can be done by religous bigotry.

QuoteHe is right that we are no longer a Christian nation, even though we were based on Christianity.  We have accepted in our country all religions, freedom of religion.  I claim it as my right and I will not deny it as your right.  Now why are you blaming Obama for this?

Exactly!
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Varmit

You are missing the point...during the campaign obamas religion was brought up.  It was said that he was a muslim.  He denied this over and over and over and over again. "I'm a christian, I have a christian faith etc" we heard him say.  My question is why would someone who has said they are a christian want christian symbols covered unless they lied about being christian? 

It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

flo

Quote from: Varmit on April 16, 2009, 07:17:51 PM
If gov't isn't supposed to have anything to do with religion, why was he speaking at a Catholic university? 

And who said that gov't shouldn't have anything to do with religion (other than Hitler, Mao, Stalin, Lenin etc)?  The Constitution clearly states...

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

So, I will restate my question, why would a christian not want a christian symbol visible while giving a speech?

I'm curious, Varmit.  Government shouldn't have anything to do with religion? Is that why prayer is not allowed in school? Is that why no christian picture is allowed to be hung on the walls of a courthouse? Is that why no "public" building or grounds can display a Nativity at Christmas? Here all this time I thought it was the government that said "NO, CAN'T DO THAT ANYMORE BECAUSE IT STEPS ON THE TOES OF ATHIESTS".  Guess I blamed our government for something they didn't do.  Please explain to this dumb country gal  just what is "separation of church and state?"
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Diane Amberg

Varmint....Are you really looking for any reason you can to call the President a liar? Show me that that HE commanded that the plywood be covered so it wouldn't interfere with his religious beliefs. Isn't that just your convenient interpretation of the events? There could be lots of reasons that would be acceptable to lots of people that have nothing to do with politics or religion. I sure don't know, how could you? A tempest in a teapot?

Varmit

Flo, I think you are missreading me here....I agree with what you're saying, I think we should allow those things.

But, there is no "seperation of church and state" in the Constitution. 

Admendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Varmit

I really don't have to look for a reason...he provides plenty of them. 

Show me that he DIDN't ask for it to be covered.  And no that is not my interpretation of events, it is what was reported.

Diane Amberg

Sorry, nope, I asked first ;D So he's guilty until proven innocent?

Varmit

How much more proof do you need...did you go to foxnew.com and read the article???   Have you seen and heard the things that man has said and what he supports...heres just a few:

-money paid to hamas through gaza

-support of a two state solution that would strip Isreal of even more land

-his comment about America not being a christian nation

-his attendance at a church where the pastor calls for "Goddamn America" the same pastor that labels it "AmeriKKKa"

-his support of abortion, and sending tax dollars overseas to fund abortion on a global scale

-his support of Embrotic stem cell research, which has shown little to no results

-his embracing of the islamic faith while ignoring the christian

His actions lend more creditability and truth than his words ever could.

Diane Amberg

I do see Fox, and CNN, and Hannity and Glenn Beck, and others and I know an agenda when I see one. On both sides! His comment about America not being a Christian nation, I saw and I know what he really said. His Pastor was a jerk looking for publicity but you can't hold one member of the congregation responsible for him. Abortion, maybe. It depends on the circumstances . Stem cell research I totally support. It needs more time to prove its worth.  Embracing Islam while ignoring Christians....prove it! The other couple I'd have to look at further. In spite of what you might think I'm not totally pleased with Pres. O, but I'm willing to give some of the ideas a chance to work, before I give a thumbs up or down.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk