Pirates Vow To Retaliate

Started by Teresa, April 13, 2009, 09:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catwoman

Frank?  Some help here???  David?????   Helllloooooooooooooooo???????

Wilma

I just might have to dig out some packed away Bible studies.  I don't remember much about this but I am sure I have seen it somewhere.  Maybe in my trusted 1969 version of the World Book Encyclopedia.  Anyway, it is interesting.

Diane Amberg

I'm not sure how we got from pirates to Bibles  :laugh: :angel:

Catwoman

Why, we were just talking about lots of little angels, don't ya know! lol :angel: :angel:

Wilma

Bibles are more interesting, don't you think?

Varmit

What I find interesting is how people who attend church, profess a faith in God, say they are governed by His word and yet question how it came into print.

By the way, I did see that the Dutch captured 20 more pirates.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Diane Amberg

The Dutch did? That's great.  On the other subject, have you ever read the history about all the various versions and how they came to be? It's very interesting and there were, and are,a surprising number of variations. But unless we are old language scholars who could read old Aramaic and Greek, I'm not sure we'll ever know much more than the Latin translations. I'll told they aren't very accurate. Much as become symbolic and that's certainly OK.

Wilma

I found a site last night that contained as much history of the Bible as is available.  It is:

http://www.greatsite.com/timeline-english-bible-history/

It is very interesting and much more than I had seen before.

pam

Quote from: Diane Amberg on April 18, 2009, 05:46:04 PM
So I must be wrong. Enlighten me, it's been a long time. That was a very complicated period. There was more going on than splits with the Pope and what was up with Henery the VIII, I am, I am. See, I remember Herman's Hermits.   

I wasn't sayin you were wrong Diane........:P sorry  I was tellin myself not to even start on THIS subject LOL. They'd be here with the tar and feathers :P
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Diane Amberg

That's OK Pam, I just thought you knew something that I'd forgotten. Wilma, that site really brought back memories. I think it will answer Cat's questions very nicely. I did have it pretty close as it turns out. The Bishops Bible is mentioned, then the King James version.  Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk