Pirates Vow To Retaliate

Started by Teresa, April 13, 2009, 09:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

Ah yes, historical biblical politics....even then.

Varmit

I feel that if God wanted those books to be in the Bible, He would have seen to it.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Diane Amberg

Are you one of the anti Santa Clause people? :P

Varmit

No, but my children do know the true meaning of Christmas. 

But I do wish he would quit eating all my cookies...
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Catwoman

Wilma

The Catholic Bible contains books that are not in the Protestant Bibles.  How do you explain that one?  Is that God's choice or man's choice? I had better be careful, I might have to figure out just where my husband's Catholic Bible is.

Catwoman

The reason for that is that when King Henry the VIIIth split from the Church and started the Anglican (Episcopal) Church, he also had the Bible changed to reflect that schism.  That is either the precursor of or is the King James Bible, I believe, if I am remembering my religious history courses correctly...Help??? Does anyone remember the correct progession of the schism that occured when King Henry wanted the divorce from Katherine of Aragon and the Pope refused to grant the divorce, so Henry left the church, started his own, and proceeded to marry Anne Bolyn?

Diane Amberg

I may be way out in the woods here but,.... That was the reformation, that among other things started the Church of England, the Bishop's Bible and then the King James version. Someone tell me if I've remembered it wrong.

pam

Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Diane Amberg

So I must be wrong. Enlighten me, it's been a long time. That was a very complicated period. There was more going on than splits with the Pope and what was up with Henery the VIII, I am, I am. See, I remember Herman's Hermits.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk