George Shipley

Started by tigger, March 22, 2009, 07:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Looking for information

0 (0%)
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

tigger

Looking for anyone who my have information on George Shipley s/o Joel and Amy Shipley.  George was born in Henry county, MO on 23 of June 1848 and died in Longton, KS.
Thank you
Teresa

W. Gray

A few sentences from the Elk County history book:

J. K. Shipley arrived and settled in what is now Elk County in 1865.

One account has Sarah Shipley as the first baby born in Elk County in 1865 [when Elk was northern Seward County] and was the daughter of J. K. Shipley and the granddaughter of Isaac Howe.

Another account has Sarah F. Shipley as the first white child born December 6, 1866, east of Longton [Longton would not come into being until 1870 though]. Seward became Howard County two months later. Elk County formed out of northern Howard County on June 1, 1875.

J. W. Shipley was a stockholder in either the Busby Telephone Company or the Longton Telephone Company—difficult to tell which.

George Shipley of Longton was a member of a secret organization formed in 1895 called the Busby Anti Horse Thief Association.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

pam

Was this any relation to Nell Shipley who had the cafe in Severy years ago? Just curious.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

tigger

I really don't know if George is related or not.  George Shipley is the son of Joel Shipley from KY.  George was born in MO. He had a brother William and William was my gr grandmother father.  My Gr Grandmother married a Gillham from the east side of the state. Which was Allen County, KS.

ddurbin

Using Ancestry, I've found information on what I believe is your George Shipley's family in the U.S. censuses from 1850, 1880, 1900, 1910 and 1920 and the Kansas censuses of 1865 and 1875.  Will be glad to share this info. with you if you're interested.  Also there's info on Shipley's in Elk Co. if you go to this site:  genealogytrails.com/kan/elk and just enter Shipley in the Find feature.

ddurbin

Talk about coincidence---since my last post a couple of hours ago, there has been new information added to the genealogytrails site, including a newspaper article telling about George Shipley's 80th birthday (1928) as well as his obituary (1929).  Also in the "it's a small world" category, my grandfather Chas. Hainlin is listed as one of the people providing music at George's funeral service.

tigger

This is wonderful.  I have the information that you are talking about.  I would like to find where all his children went to.  there are two children Charles and Carrie that went to Canada but haven't found them.  The J. K. Shipley I don't know how he fits into the family or if he does.  Thank you so much

ddurbin

Tigger,
I've found obits for George's daughter, Anna May, her husband and their two sons.  All are buried in Highland Cem here in Winfield.  Anna's has some clues to the whereabouts of her surviving siblings/half-siblings.  Will be glad to send copies of the obits if you will provide a mailing address.  You can PM me at ddurbin1@cox.net.

tigger

I sent you an email telling you that would be wonderful.  I would really like to have the obit of Anna May Shipley.  I would like to find more of the Shipley's if possible.  Thanks so much.

Diane Amberg

This is dumb question time. What are we polling up at the top of the page?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk