Heres a good idea to generate local sales

Started by srkruzich, April 10, 2009, 07:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobina+1

???  And Joanna called MY ideas random?   ???  (Actually, I did; she just agreed.)   :P

Flintauqua

A link for those interested in promoting the farmer's market better:

http://www.cfra.org/newsletter/2009/03/farm-bill-programs-you-your-community-direct-farmer-consumer-marketing

It speaks to a grant program from USDA to help link local grown food with local consumers.  Probably too late to get an app in this year, but something to look into.  This site explains the program a little and links to the actual grant site.  The grants aren't to individuals, but a coop of local farmers, a local government, or a local not-for-profit (i.e. Chamber, Foundation, etc.) can apply for funds.

No promises, but I could be convinced to help write an application, although it would be from afar.

Charles

srkruzich

Quote from: Flintauqua on April 15, 2009, 05:43:33 PM
A link for those interested in promoting the farmer's market better:

http://www.cfra.org/newsletter/2009/03/farm-bill-programs-you-your-community-direct-farmer-consumer-marketing

It speaks to a grant program from USDA to help link local grown food with local consumers.  Probably too late to get an app in this year, but something to look into.  This site explains the program a little and links to the actual grant site.  The grants aren't to individuals, but a coop of local farmers, a local government, or a local not-for-profit (i.e. Chamber, Foundation, etc.) can apply for funds.

No promises, but I could be convinced to help write an application, although it would be from afar.

Charles

Sigh you know something, it sounds nice, but theres a price to pay for borrowing from the devil.  :(
I am afraid if you accept grant money then your subject to whatever federal rules they wish to impose.  I am very hesitant about subjecting myself and what i do to federal regulations just to get a buck.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

sixdogsmom

Why would you need grant money for a farmers' market? I'm scratching my head here, trying to figure out how grant money could be used at a farmers' market? A small fee to sell should be enough to pay for any advertiseing, and I suspect that even that would not be needed since that is a service for the people of the county. Most local papers are more than happy to post those events free of charge.  ??? ???
Edie

Flintauqua

pepelect

Quitter......  This doesn't sound like a ad in the newspaper.....this process seems very undaunting  the things they want on the grant are:

1. Development of new electronic benefit transfer (EBT) programs to use for federal nutrition programs at farmers markets.

2. Training and educational programs for new direct farm marketers on the benefits, challenges, and logistics of agricultural direct marketing in a given region. Topics could include small business development, marketing techniques, identifying market opportunities, or mentoring programs for women, minorities, immigrant, transitioning, and new farmers. Remember to focus on recruitment and retention of new farmers to participate at farmers markets and other direct-to-consumer farm marketing outlets.

3. Development of professional expertise for farmers market managers, farmers/vendors, boards, and organizations to effectively manage and/or operate farmers markets and other direct marketing enterprises.

4. Eligible applicants include farmer-owned cooperatives, nonprofits, agricultural cooperatives, local governments, economic development corporations, regional farmers market authorities, public benefit corporations and Tribal Governments.

The minimum award per grant is $2,500, and the maximum is $100,000. An applicant is limited to no more than one grant in a grant-funding year. Applications must be postmarked no later than April 27, 2009.

This sounds like fun.     

sixdogsmom

Thanks Patrick, but I think I will pass.  ;)
Edie

frawin

I thought some of you might find this article of interest, it is on a bigger scale than what you might be looking for but the idea is a lot the same. Bartlesville has a Farmer's Market every Saturday in a park downtown, starting in May or June and running into the fall.
We like to drive down to it almost every Saturday to see what they have. It appears to be pretty sucessful. I think Howard could make it a successful venture if you can add some entertainment or other drawing card and get the word out to people from Wichita and surrounding areas. I think you would be surprised how many people like to do a Saturday drive to someplace of interest. This weekend is the Sand Springs Oklahoma Herb Festival and it will draw a huge crowd, in fact I think we will drive down just to see what they have.

Farmers bring goods to market
Broken Arrow's new Farmers Market is set in a Vision 2025-funded plaza-pavilion.

A Broken Arrow Parks Department crew works Wednesday to get the city's new farmers market plaza ready for its Thursday debut. TIM STANLEY/ Tulsa World

By TIM STANLEY World Staff Writer
Published: 4/16/2009  2:27 AM
Last Modified: 4/16/2009  3:58 AM

BROKEN ARROW — With several years for interest to take root, the time could not be more ripe, officials say, for unveiling an attraction they hope will bring in a new crop of visitors to downtown.

The city's long-anticipated Farmers Market on Main is set to debut Thursday in the Vision 2025-funded plaza-pavilion that was built especially to accommodate it.

The city-run market — 418 S. Main St. in downtown Broken Arrow — will be open for four hours each Thursday and Saturday through Oct. 17, said David Blue, city special events coordinator.

"This has pretty much consumed my life the last three months," said Blue, who will manage the market.

"There's a lot of interest. It's been one of the biggest buzzes in Broken Arrow for a long time."

Construction on the $1.7 million market plaza was completed in 2008 with funding from the city's Vision 2025 allotment. The city received $3.9 million for downtown improvements from the countywide sales tax, which was passed in 2003.

The market was originally scheduled to open last spring, but delays, including acquisition of an adjacent railroad right-of-way, forced officials to push it back.

Blue said the city is not depending on the market to generate revenue. The goal, rather, is to draw more people to Broken Arrow, specifically the city's often overlooked downtown area.

"Surveys have shown that there are a lot of our own residents that don't know we have a downtown," Blue said. "We hope they will come down for this and see that there's also retail here and places to dine."

Downtown merchants are optimistic about the prospects.

"Anything that's good for the city is going to be good for us," said Kay Vaughn, owner of Fashion Floors & More. "We've had people asking about this for a long time."

It's still early for many growers, so Blue expects the market to start slowly and gain momentum.

He has already booked all 26 spaces available under the two pavilions, but many are for summer growers.

Visitors Thursday and this weekend can expect to find herbs, flower baskets, starter plants for new gardeners, jams and jellies, salsas, bread, and possibly some types of vegetables, Blue said.

As an "Oklahoma Grown" market, no produce grown outside of Oklahoma will be offered, he said, and all products must have an Oklahoma connection.

The market will offer live music on Thursday evenings June through September, Blue said.

The market is next to the city's new historical museum. A grand opening for the museum is scheduled for June 6.
BA Farmers Market on Main
Address: 418 S. Main St.

srkruzich

i don't know how many of y all hvae been to New orleans, but years ago i went there several times hauling freight down to the docks.  New Orleans has one street dedicated for fresh food and produce.   Its called market street.  They have a covered pole barn like setup with tables under it the length of the street. its pretty kool to see that and how busy it is along with the traffic flowing down the road.

you can pretty much get anything you want on that street. 
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Wilma

And all this just because a few gardeners want to share their surplus with the community while getting a few pennies for their efforts.

The times that we were able to buy anything at Howard's farmer's market were rare as they were usually sold out before we got there.

It would be different if someone had a truck garden and was using the farmer's market to make their garden profitable.

Personally, I would like to have some fresh, really fresh, sweet corn, vine ripened tomatoes, a watermelon that wasn't picked too soon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk