Heres a good idea to generate local sales

Started by srkruzich, April 10, 2009, 07:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

srkruzich

GREAT BARRINGTON, Mass. —  It looks like Monopoly money, but the colorful currency created by collaborators in the western Massachusetts town of Great Barrington is helping pump real dollars into the local economy.

The creative cash is called "BerkShares," a play on words, referring to the mountainous region called the Berkshires, where businesses and citizens have come together to support each other in these tough economic times.

rest of the story:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,513877,00.html
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Joanna

That's cool! 

I'd be afraid of counterfieters though; and remember how resistant to the new colored $5 bills some folks were at first... I still think it's a good idea, but can see it would have a few obstacles to get past.

Kind of like Chamber bucks, on a broader scale

W. Gray

At one time Elk County printed its own money called scrip. It was good only in Elk County.

Greenwood County did also.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

The old time coal miners would hate it. The scrip could  only be used at the company store, owned by the coal mine owner. Prices were kept very high so the families could never save anything and were usually in debt.They were stuck in that hand to mouth lifestyle.They lived in rental houses also owned by the mine. So the " money" didn't help the community , it was just more profit for the mine owner.

srkruzich

Yeah i know thats how that worked back in kentucky.  Back in dahlonega where i lived before though we had dahlonega bucks that were issued.  We kept business between folks in the communities.  It worked and no counterfeiting was done.   

Tobina+1

I think this is a good idea.  You could do this with gift certificates instead of actually printing money... sell gift certificates at a portion of the actual of redeemable value... i.e. $100 gift certificate could be purchased for $90.  Like in malls, these gift certificates could be used at any of the local stores listed on the back.  This is actually quite common in some other small towns through local chamber of commerce, especially around the holidays.  These gift certificates are also given as prizes during local festivals, drawings during the Christmas opening, etc.

Here's another idea... how about having an old fashioned Christmas opening this year?  Have all the stores open/stay open late one Friday or Saturday night with special deals, hot cider, cookies.  Santa Land could be open, horse and carriage rides around town to view christmas lights, the entire community coming together for an evening of local support.  Local clubs could have bake sales, offer carry-out services.  Local churches could each take a street corner for caroling.  Some of the abandoned buildings could be cleaned and opened for hobby merchants to have a warm place to set up shop for the night.  

srkruzich

I have another question.  Why doesn't howard have a local farmers market.  Everyone that has extra produce or other things they might have for sale could utilize on weekends. 

pam

QuoteHere's another idea... how about having an old fashioned Christmas opening this year?  Have all the stores open/stay open late one Friday or Saturday night with special deals, hot cider, cookies.  Santa Land could be open, horse and carriage rides around town to view christmas lights, the entire community coming together for an evening of local support.  Local clubs could have bake sales, offer carry-out services.  Local churches could each take a street corner for caroling.  Some of the abandoned buildings could be cleaned and opened for hobby merchants to have a warm place to set up shop for the night.

Neosho has what they call Dickens on the Square every year before Christmas, the shops on the square are open, they dress up like Dickens time, there are carriage rides, vendors, crafts and it all ends up with the Christmas parade in the dark. It's pretty cool.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Wilma

There has been a Farmer's Market on the courthouse lawn.  Not too long ago, either.  You have to get permission from the county commissioners to do it  We used to get some very good produce from the local gardeners there.

srkruzich

Quote from: Wilma on April 10, 2009, 11:05:03 AM
There has been a Farmer's Market on the courthouse lawn.  Not too long ago, either.  You have to get permission from the county commissioners to do it  We used to get some very good produce from the local gardeners there.

Hmm I know that the town i came from had one setup off the square, down one of the streets near the city park.  They let us park along the side of the park and setup tables and sell out of our vehicles.  We paid 8 dollars a month for a permit to vend there, and we got to setup thurs - sat every week.

Might be a opportunity folks could setup as a weekly event. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk