Have you planted your Tomatoes yet????

Started by frawin, April 05, 2009, 04:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

I was curious how many people have planted some tomatoes yet. I plant mine at different times, I have my early ones (Early Girls) in now.

Wilma

Frank, it is still freezing here, not just a light frost, but freezing.

frawin

Wilma, I plant my early Tomatoes fairly deep, put clear plastic jugs over them, my tomatoe cages are made out of concrete reinforcing wire and I wrap clear plastic around them 3 feet up, and I pull the dirt up around the bottom of the plastic. I have always planted my early ones on or close to April 1, and have never lost any yet, there is always a first.

Wilma

Care to come back to Elk County and try that?  Maybe in my back yard?

frawin

Wilma, it worked in Howard, Pratt and Emporia, Bartlesville and Midland, Texas for me. I will try to remember to bring you one of my first ones if they are early as usual.

frawin

Wilma, this will probably be the year I loose the first early ones, and then I will have to eat crow for sure.

Ole Granny

Saw a Robin today with a muffler and snowboots! :laugh: :laugh:
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

frawin

Ole Granny

"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

Diane Amberg

I'll try an early one in a week or so, but they tend to just sit there because the ground is too cold. I wrap mine up too, but I can't say it helps that much. Mostly people put them in on Memorial day weekend. Our frost free date isn't until May 15, but for Newark its May 6th.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk