A Bit of Information????

Started by Wilma, April 03, 2009, 08:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

What is the best mulch for a rose garden?  I know I can look it up, but I am too lazy to sit here and sort through all the information that is offered.

dnalexander

Wilma, I like cocoa hulls. They smell good, stay in place better than other mulch, control weed growth and do a great job of keeping moisture. I also, think they look good.

David

sixdogsmom

I like to use prarie hay for mulch, it serves the purpose, looks natural for the area and augments the soil.
Edie

dnalexander

Quote from: dnalexander on April 03, 2009, 10:08:47 AM
Wilma, I like cocoa hulls. They smell good, stay in place better than other mulch, control weed growth and do a great job of keeping moisture. I also, think they look good.

David

Sixdogsmom's name made me think about one risk to be aware of with cocoa hulls. If you have dogs they may eat some of the cocoa hulls which can be toxic to dogs. My dog has no interest in eating them but you may want to consider the possibility. He is more prone to eating all my basil along with my cat.

David

Diane Amberg

So cat tastes better with basil? I just learned something. ;D  I use  small pine bark mulch around my flowers.

sixdogsmom

Diane I might consider the basil very seriously. Right now I am nursing a fat lip from Little Man, my tomcat. I was reading before going to sleep last Sat. night, he was laying next to me and decided that I was not paying enough attention to him when he just reached out and stuck me in the lip with one claw. Ouch! I popped him and he scrunched down and just sang. Ornery thing, I can't stay mad at him for long.  :-\ :-\
Edie

Diane Amberg

Ow! They can be very demanding and insistent can't they?

dnalexander

Poorly constructed sentence on my part. They both eat the basil.  :laugh:

Wilma

I am glad you straightened that out.

Joanna

Quote from: Diane Amberg on April 03, 2009, 12:40:14 PMSo cat tastes better with basil? I just learned something. ;D ...
Quote from: dnalexander on April 03, 2009, 05:09:28 PMPoorly constructed sentence on my part. They both eat the basil.  :laugh:

Well, here I assumed you just had a gourmet doggie.  ??? ;D Oh well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk