Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Exodus 32 – 34

Highlights:

Moses delayed on Mount Sinai; Aaron's golden calf; its destruction; death of 3,000 Israelites; Law renewed; the Covenant of God; three feasts.
Moses was on Mount Sinai when God gave him the two tables of Testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God (Ex. 31:18). At the same time, something tragic was taking place at the base of the mountain. When the people saw that Moses delayed to come down out of the mount, the people gathered themselves together unto Aaron, and said unto him, Up, make us gods, which shall go before us; for as for this Moses, the man that brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we wot (know) not what is become of him (32:1). It didn't take Aaron long to submit to their sinful demands and to make a golden calf, and he built an altar before it. . . . And they rose up early on the morrow, and offered burnt offerings, and brought peace offerings (32:2-6).

A true Burnt Offering was a delight to the Lord since it symbolized full surrender to Him; but these idolatrous sacrifices were an abomination. The people were attempting to combine worship of the True God with the worship of idols.

Returning to the camp, Moses saw how quickly the Israelites had corrupted themselves (become apostate) (32:7). Did they think that a golden calf, which they could see, was a better object of worship than the invisible, yet ever-present God? Had they turned to Apis, an Egyptian god in the form of a bull? Only six weeks earlier, the whole congregation had sworn submission and obedience to God as their king, saying: All that the LORD hath spoken we will do (19:8).

The worship of false gods leads to irresponsible, immoral conduct. Let us compare the Israelites' sins with our own behavior. Most Christians would reject man-made idols. But, think about how easily money, possessions, talents, hobbies, and success become idols for many. Centuries later, the Apostle Paul spoke of those who, although they knew God, they glorified Him not as God, neither were thankful; but (their worship) became vain (foolish, worthless) in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened (Rom. 1:21).

The golden calf stands as a symbol of human intellect which devises its own system of worship apart from, or added to, the Word of God. Sadly, the world admires the independent, self-sufficient person who is determined to behave the way he wishes instead of the way of God. Don't be like the world or the Israelites, who rejoiced in the works of their own hands (Acts 7:41-43).

Thought for Today:

And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind Me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and Him only shalt thou serve (Luke 4:8).
Christ Revealed:

As the One who is ever-present. My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest (peace) (Ex. 33:14). He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee (Heb. 13:5; compare Matt. 11:28; John 14:27).
Word Studies:

32:12 mischief, evil intent; 32:20 strawed, scattered; 32:25 made them naked, let them get out of control; 34:10 terrible, marvelous, awesome.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Brian P. Bilbray (CA), Rep. Linda T. Sanchez (CA), Rep. Bennie G. Thompson (MS), Rep. Lou Barletta (PA), and Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (NH) • Country: Panama (3 million) in southern Central America • Major languages: Spanish and English • Limited religious freedom • 78% Roman Catholic; 12% Protestant; 5% Muslim; .1% Eastern Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: If the words of God abide in you, whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive (John 15:7).
Optional Reading: Matthew 28

Memory Verse for the Week: John 3:17
:angel:

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Exodus 35 – 37

Highlights:

Freewill offerings for the Tabernacle; construction of the Tabernacle; the Ark of the Testimony (Covenant); Mercy Seat; Table of Shewbread; Candlestick; Altar of Incense.
The Altar of Incense was made . . . of shittim (acacia) wood. . . . and . . . a crown (moulding) of gold round about. . . . And he (Bezaleel) made the holy anointing oil, and the pure incense (Ex. 35:15; 37:25-26,29). Moses was also directed to put it before the vail that is by the Ark of the Testimony (Covenant), before the Mercy Seat that is over the Testimony, where I will meet with thee. . . . Aaron shall burn thereon sweet incense every morning. . . . a perpetual incense before the LORD throughout your generations (Ex. 30:6-8).

The priests were permitted in the Holy Place, but only the high priest could enter the Holy of Holies, and only once a year on the Day of Atonement. In front of the veil was the Golden Altar of Incense which was much smaller than the Brasen Altar.

Each morning, Aaron the high priest would fill the lamps with pure olive oil and burn incense upon the altar. He would take a coal of fire from the Brasen Altar and place it on the Altar of Incense and then place the incense on it for a sweet fragrance that ascended toward heaven day and night. God alone was the source of fire on both of the altars (Lev. 9:24).

The Altar of Incense was also symbolic of Christ our High Priest, who is constantly interceding for us not only when we pray but also by His constant watch care (John 17:1-26; Heb. 7:25).

Only Jesus Christ can make it possible for us to approach the Heavenly Father in prayer. My little children. . . . if any man sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous (I John 2:1). It is (the sinless) Christ that died (in our place and for our sins), yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us (Rom. 8:34). In Hebrews, we read: He is able also to save them . . . that come unto God by Him, seeing He ever (forever) liveth to make intercession for them (Heb. 7:25).

Thought for Today:

And another angel came and stood at the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given unto him much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne (Rev. 8:3).
Christ Revealed:

Through the Candlestick (Ex. 35:14). Christ is The Light of the World (John 1:6-9; 8:12; 9:5; comp. Luke 1:78-79).
Word Studies:

35:10 wise hearted, skillful, expert craftsman; 35:11 his, its; 35:32 curious, artistic, skillful.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Paul D. Ryan (WI) and Rep. Lee Terry (NE) • Country: Papua New Guinea (5 million) in the southwestern Pacific • Major languages: 715 indigenous languages • Religious freedom • 64% Protestant; 33% Roman Catholic; 2% ancestor worship, belief in spirits, and witchcraft • Prayer Suggestion: Thank God for sending the Holy Spirit (John 16:7-8).
Optional Reading: Mark 1

Memory Verse for the Week: John 3:18

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Exodus 38 – 39

Highlights:

Brasen Altar for Burnt Offering; Tabernacle courtyard; priest's garments.
At Mount Sinai, the Tabernacle was completed according to all the instructions the Lord commanded Moses: Thus was all the work of the Tabernacle . . . finished. . . . and all his (its) furniture . . .The Ark of the Testimony . . . and the Mercy Seat (Ex. 39:32-35). The Ark of the Testimony (25:22) is also called the Ark of the Covenant (Num. 10:33). It contained the Ten Commandments, and later Moses wrote this Law, and delivered it unto the priests . . . which bare the Ark of the Covenant (Deut. 31:9,26). This was the Covenant between God and His people Israel. The Ark was a wooden chest overlaid with gold, both inside and out. The Ark was a type of Jesus the Messiah, the Son of God, who alone can atone for sin. The wood represented His human nature, as foretold by Isaiah: He shall grow up before Him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground (Is. 53:2). The gold represented His divine nature, for He is both fully God and fully Man. The Ark was made from the wood of the acacia tree which grew in the deserts, symbols of the barren world system.

The "lid" of the Ark was made of pure gold and was called the Mercy Seat. It covered the Law that had been placed in the Ark. Everyone is a sinner; but Christ, the perfect, sinless Son of God, became our High Priest that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God (Heb. 4:14). His perfect atonement for our sins provided us with the mercy and salvation represented by the Mercy Seat.

The Ark was behind the veil inside the Most Holy Place (Holy of Holies). Without the presence of the Lord above the Ark, all the services of the Tabernacle would have been meaningless.

On the Day of Atonement, the high priest sprinkled the blood of an innocent goat on the Mercy Seat, then in front of it seven times (Lev. 16:14-15). The number seven is symbolic of the perfect salvation and forgiveness of sins which would later be made possible through Jesus Christ.

As you prayerfully read the Word of God daily and worship the Lord, His indwelling presence will bring meaning to your life. The Law provides the "knowledge" of sin, but it cannot provide the "forgiveness" of sin (Gal. 2:16; 3:11). The Law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ (John 1:17). Jesus is the One in whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins (Col. 1:14).

Thought for Today:

By whom (Jesus) also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God (Rom. 5:2).
Christ Revealed:

Through the Golden Altar and its incense — representing prayers going up to heaven (Ex. 39:38; also Rev. 5:8; 8:3-4). Christ prayed for us: Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on Me through their word (John 17:20).
Word Studies:

38:17 chapiters of silver, tops of silver; 38:18 answerable, corresponding to; 39:2 ephod, high priest's outer garment; 39:3 wires, fine strings, threads; 39:13 ouches, settings for a brooch worn as jewelry; 39:15 wreathen, twisted, braided.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in memory of Letha Hash • Government Official: Rep. Frank R. Wolf (VA) • Country: Paraguay (5 million) in southern South America • Major languages: Spanish and Guarani • Religious freedom • 96% Roman Catholic; 2% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Ask according to the will of God and you will receive (John 16:24).
Optional Reading: Mark 2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Exodus 40

Highlights:

Tabernacle completed and erected; furnishings arranged; consecration of Aaron and sons; glory of the Lord fills the Tabernacle.
On Mount Sinai, God instructed Moses: Make Me a Sanctuary; that I may dwell among them. According to all that I shew thee . . . shall ye make it (Ex. 25:8-9). After nine months, the building of the Tabernacle was completed (39:32; comp. 19:1; 40:2). Moses did according to all that the LORD commanded him (40:16). This phrase emphasizes that Moses understood the supreme importance of obedience to the will of God (40:16-32). Moses' obedience was complete in every detail of making about 40 different items, including the tent, altars, vessels, Laver of Brass, garments, pins, sockets, loops, posts, and furniture (25:40; 26:30; 39:42-43). Nothing was left to either Moses' or the worshipers' opinions.

The first thing to be placed within the Tabernacle was the Ark of the Testimony which contained the Ten Commandments of God. The LORD spake unto Moses, saying, On the first day of the first month shalt thou set up the Tabernacle of the tent of the congregation. And thou shalt put therein the Ark of the Testimony (Covenant, Commandments). . . . He took and put the Testimony (tables of the Law) into the Ark . . . And he brought the Ark into the Tabernacle . . . as the LORD commanded (40:1-3,20-21).

After the Tabernacle was constructed and the cloud of the Lord's Presence filled it, the cloud (40:34-35; compare 13:21) and the Tabernacle were inseparable throughout the rest of the Israelites' journeys. If the cloud lifted and moved forward, the people then followed, carrying the Tabernacle; if the cloud stopped, the people remained until it moved again (40:36-37). The Word of God and His Holy Spirit provide all of the wisdom, spiritual guidance, and strength necessary to live obediently and victoriously for Him. God has revealed: Know ye not that ye are the Temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the Temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the Temple of God is holy, which Temple ye are (I Cor. 3:16-17; compare 6:18-19). God never rewards partial obedience. It is vital that we read all of His Word in order to understand all of what He has commanded.

Soon, the glorious presence of God will again be seen on earth, as the Apostle John revealed while imprisoned on the Island of Patmos when he wrote: I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven. . . . And I heard a great voice . . . saying, Behold, the Tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people (Rev. 21:2-3,22).

Thought for Today:

With my whole heart have I sought Thee: O let me not wander from Thy Commandments (Ps. 119:10).
Christ Portrayed:

By Aaron as the high priest (Ex. 40:13). Christ being come an High Priest. . . . to appear in the presence of God for us (Heb. 9:7-24).
Word Studies:

40:3 cover the Ark, install the veil as a partition; 40:7 Laver, large basin or bowl used for washing the hands and feet; 40:8 hanging, curtains; 40:9 hallow, set apart, consecrate, dedicate; 40:10 sanctify, set apart for God; 40:11 his foot, its stand, base.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Dr. John A. Hash • Staff: Rick Hash • Government Officials: Rep. C.A. "Dutch" Ruppersberger (MD), Rep. Bill P. Huizenga (MI), and Rep. Larry Kissell (NC) • Country: Peru (26 million) on the western coast of South America • Major languages: Spanish and Quechua • Open to evangelism and Bible distribution • 90% Christian; 8% non-Religious/Other; 1.2% Traditional ethnic; .3% Buddhist; .09% Baha'i; .02% Jewish • Prayer Suggestion: Pray that Christians would be united as Christ and God are one (John 17:11,21).
Optional Reading: Mark 3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Leviticus 1 – 3

Highlights:

In Leviticus, the first words of God to Moses are: Speak unto the children of Israel (Lev. 1:2). Find out for yourself how to approach God and continue in fellowship with Him.
If his offering be a Burnt Sacrifice of the herd, let him offer a male without blemish: he shall offer it of his own voluntary will at the door of the Tabernacle of the congregation before the Lord. And he shall put his hand upon the head of the Burnt Offering; and it shall be accepted for him to make atonement for him (Lev. 1:3-4).

The Burnt Offering was unlike all other sacrifices in that it was burned entirely and was presented voluntarily. It could be brought by one who felt the need of humbly coming before the Lord in deep gratitude for His mercy, confessing any offenses and failings which were not specifically mentioned in the Law. But most of all, it signified his dedication and consecration to God.

In some instances, like the Peace Offering, both the priest and the one who brought the offering ate of the sacrifice. In most sacrifices, only the fat was burned; but with the Burnt Offering, no one could eat of it — everything was burned. This was an act of seeking to fully please the Father, with no thought of satisfying self or of pleasing others (Ex. 29:42). As the sacrifice was reduced to ashes, a sweet savor ascended to God and satisfied Him.

The Burnt Offering was often a valuable ox that normally plowed in a field or pulled a huge cart. To offer less than his best, his offering would not qualify as a Burnt Offering. This was designed to teach us that we too are to offer our best unto God — the best of our time, talents, and possessions.

Just as a transformation took place from the time the ox was plowing the field to the time it was reduced to ashes, so every Christian who presents himself a "living sacrifice" will be transformed by the indwelling Holy Spirit.

As Christ takes control of our lives, all pride, self-sufficiency, and self-interest will be reduced to ashes — eliminated — and the Christian becomes a sweet savor — a satisfaction to God.

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God (Rom. 12:1-2).

Thought for Today:

And that He died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto Him which died for them, and rose again (II Cor. 5:15).
Christ Revealed:

Through the Meat (Meal, Grain) Offering which was made without leaven (symbolic of sin) (Lev. 2:11). Christ was without sin (Heb. 4:15).
Word Studies:

2:4 oblation, offering, sacrifice; 3:9 hard by, near.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for our Military worldwide • International Broadcasts: Sponsored by Mr. & Mrs. Edward Mantych • Staff: Dr. John A. Hash • Government Official: Sen. Mike Enzi (WY) • Country: Philippines (76 million) in Southeast Asia • Major languages: Filipino and English • Religious persecution in some areas • 80% Catholic; 9% Protestant; 8% Muslim (mostly Sunni); 3% Other (Buddhist, Animist, non-Religious) • Prayer Suggestion: Rejoice that our Savior lives (John 20:15-18).
Optional Reading: Mark 4

NOTE: Bible Pathway covers the Old Testament with devotional and commentary insights over a nine-month period, January through September. Each day during these months, an optional reading of one chapter a day from the New Testament will also be listed. The October, November, and December issues will provide a daily commentary on the New Testament readings. Thus, the reader goes through the New Testament twice each year using the Bible Pathway plan.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Leviticus 4 – 6

Highlights:

The Lord is saying again to Moses: Speak unto the children of Israel (Lev. 4:2). In today's reading we discover how sin is confronted and how people guilty of sin can approach the holy sinless God. In His marvelous mercy Christ made a way!
And if he be not able (too poor) to bring a lamb, then he shall bring for his trespass, which he hath committed, two turtledoves, or two young pigeons, unto the Lord; one for a Sin Offering, and the other for a Burnt Offering (Lev. 5:7).

The Sin Offering was mandatory and had to be offered before any other sacrifice could be made. Each person was required to bring his own animal to the Tabernacle, but only the priest could offer the blood upon the Altar.

In other offerings, the Israelite came as a worshiper; but when making a Sin or Trespass Offering, he came as a confessor. The offerer placed his hands upon the head of the animal as an act of passing his sins to the innocent animal. It was then put to death instead of the sinner, thus paying the price for the sinner's redemption. It was only then that he was qualified to worship and was allowed to voluntarily present the Burnt Offering, the Meat Offering, and the Peace Offering.

The Sin Offering was a testimony to the fact that man had sinned and that God had provided atonement for sin. It typifies the faith of a sinner who is trusting in the fact that his sins have been borne by another.

These animal sacrifices were no longer required by God after Christ, the Lamb of God, became our Sin Offering when He died on the cross. No one will ever be saved by offering other sacrifices, such as keeping the Golden Rule, doing the best he can, or by joining a good church.

As the Sin Offering was mandatory, so was Christ's death on the cross. Before we can accept Christ as our Savior, we must recognize that we are sinners.

But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year. For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins. Wherefore when He cometh into the world, He saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared Me: In Burnt Offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure. . . . By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all (Heb. 10:3-6,10).

Thought for Today:

Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost (Titus 3:5).
Christ Revealed:

Through the body of the young bull which was burned without the camp (Lev. 4:12). This pictures Jesus as He suffered without the gate (Heb. 13:11-12).
Word Studies:

4:20 an atonement, forgiven; 5:2 unclean, defiled as stated in the Law; 5:8 asunder, in two parts; 5:10 manner, law, ordinance; 5:17 bear his iniquity, bear the consequences of his sin; 5:18 thy estimation, valued by you; 6:14 meat, grain; 6:18 statute, ordinance, rule; 6:28 sodden, boiled.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts: In memory of Clarence Chauncey • Bible Pathway Printer: Ambrose Printing Staff, Nashville TN • Staff: Chris Robison • Government Official: Sen. John Cornyn (TX) • Country: Poland (38.6 million) in eastern Europe • Major language: Polish • Religious freedom • 96% Roman Catholic (including .31% Greek Catholic); 1.56% Orthodox; .5% Protestant; .01% Muslim; .01% Far Eastern Religions; 1.7% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Pray in one accord with other Christians (Acts 1:14).
Optional Reading: Mark 5

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Leviticus 7 – 8

Highlights:

Consecration and 10 steps to cleansing. They do dovetail with our responsibilities. What is required of a priest and how does the priesthood parallel with those who are Christians? Can you draw a parallel between Aaron, the first high priest (Lev. 21:10), and Christ, a Christian's Great High Priest (Heb. 4:14)?
In the place where they kill the Burnt Offering shall they kill the Trespass Offering: and the blood thereof shall he sprinkle round about upon the Altar (Lev. 7:2).

The Trespass Offering implied sin against another, as well as sin against God. The Sin Offering was required because all men are sinners. But the Trespass Offering was made for specific sins.

God not only demanded that all who committed an unlawful act should bring an offering, but if he had wronged another, he was to restore equal value, plus an additional 20 percent.

The offender could not eat of the Trespass Offering, as he could of the Peace Offering. Instead, he came as an unworthy sinner seeking to restore peace with God.

Even if the offender had committed a trespass in ignorance, he was just as guilty. His ignorance showed that he had neglected to hear or read the Word of God (6:26).

God chose Aaron to be the high priest, the most prominent position in Israel's worship. To prepare him for this, God commanded Moses to wash Aaron and his sons with water (7:6).

In addition, it was commanded that the blood of it (the sacrificed ram be) . . . put . . . upon the tip of Aaron's right ear, and upon the thumb of his right hand, and upon the great toe of his right foot (8:22-23). This signified that their whole bodies were set apart for service to God.

The applications of the blood as described meant that the ear was prepared to hear, the hand was prepared to work, and the foot was prepared to walk in the way and in the will of God.

Christians should prayerfully weigh each decision and conduct their daily walk in ways which honor the Lord.

Christ . . . gave Himself for it (the Church); That He might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the Word . . . (Therefore, the Christian) should be holy and without blemish (Eph. 5:25-27).

Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water (Heb. 10:22).

Thought for Today:

For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them (Eph. 2:10).
Christ Portrayed:

By Moses as he consecrated the priests who were called for the ministry of the Tabernacle (Lev. 8:1-36). Christ is the One who sets the believer apart for service. Ye have not chosen Me, but I have chosen you, and ordained (appointed) you (John 15:16).
Word Studies:

7:4 flanks, sides; 7:18 abomination, offensive thing, unclean, detestable to God; 8:7 curious girdle, artistic band; 8:8 U'rim and the Thum'mim, unspecified items used to determine the will of God; 8:9 mitre, turban, headdress; 8:11 foot, base; 8:13 bonnets, headpieces; 8:35 keep the charge, obey the ordinances.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts: Sponsored by Iva Jo Swinsburg • Staff: Dan Murton • Government Officials: Rep. Tom Graves (GA), Rep. Rob J. Whitman (VA), and Gov. Robert J. Bentley (AL) • Country: Portugal (10 million) in western Europe • Major language: Portuguese • Limited religious freedom • 95% Christian; 4% non-Religious/Other; .5% Muslim; .1% Hindu; .01% Jewish • Prayer Suggestion: Pray in one accord and praise God as the Creator (Acts 4:24).
Optional Reading: Mark 6

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Leviticus 9 – 10

Highlights:

What happens to two of Aaron's sons because of strange fire? And what is the difference between holy and unholy, and between unclean and clean (Lev. 10:10-11)? Discover the difference between "holy" fire and "hell" fire. It is of utmost importance that we carefully read today's Scriptures. You will discover why God demands that we be holy.
And Nadab and Abihu . . . offered strange fire before the Lord, which He commanded them not. And there went out fire from the Lord, and devoured them, and they died before the Lord (Lev 10:1-2).

Some time after being consecrated as priests, Nadab and Abihu took fire for Altar sacrifice as if it did not matter where it came from or how it was administered.

What a fearful story — Nadab and Abihu were struck dead while working for the Lord! The strange fire (10:1) is intentionally left unexplained because the act was not as important as the principle that was violated. These two sons of Aaron were serving at the Altar, but they failed to recognize the supreme importance of knowing the Word of God and His authority in the way they were to worship. Whatever they did wrong, it robbed God of the honor due Him and focused attention upon themselves.

The uninformed observer would not discern the difference between acceptably serving God and offering strange fire; but acceptable worship must be according to divine command. These two prominent religious leaders ignored God by substituting their "good works" for the will of God, which meant death — spiritually and physically. When a person insists on doing something that is in opposition to the Word of God, he immediately brings the judgment of God upon himself.

We do not actually offer strange fire in our worship services today, but it is possible for Christians to neglect the study of the Word of God which can result in numerous things being substituted for true worship.

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness. . . . Because that, when they knew God, they glorified Him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools. . . . Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen (Rom. 1:18,21-22,25).

Thought for Today:

To the Law and to the Testimony: if they speak not according to this Word, it is because there is no light in them (Is. 8:20).
Christ Revealed:

Through the sacrifice of a lamb without defect (Lev. 9:3). Behold the Lamb of God, which (who) taketh away the sin of the world (John 1:29).
Word Studies:

9:21 wave offering, special offering lifted high above the priest's head before the Lord; 10:3 sanctified, treated as holy; will be glorified, must be given honor; 10:6 rend, tear; bewail, express sorrow; 10:13 thy due, your share, yours legally; 10:19 befallen, happened to.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Sanford Bishop (GA) • Country: Qatar (600,000) in southwestern Asia • Major languages: Arabic and English • Muslim conversion to Christ is forbidden, but expatriate Christians are allowed to meet informally • 79.5% Muslim; 10.5% Christian; 7.2% Hindu; 1.8% Buddhist; .9% non-Religious/Other • Prayer Suggestion: Pray for boldness to tell others about the Lord (Acts 4:29).
Optional Reading: Mark 7

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Leviticus 11 – 13

Highlights:

There is a "secret" found in today's passage. The one underlying, essential foundation to cleanse sin is revealed in today's Bible reading. God has specific Laws concerning clean and unclean animals, childbirth, and the dreadful leprosy (a type of sin). Consider them carefully.
These are the beasts which ye shall eat among all the beasts that are on the earth. Whatsoever parteth the hoof, and is clovenfooted, and cheweth the cud, among the beasts, that shall ye eat. . . . This is the law of the beasts . . . To make a difference between the unclean and the clean, and between the beast that may be eaten and the beast that may not be eaten (Lev. 11:2-3,46-47).

Rigid Commandments were given concerning which animals could be eaten and which ones could not. These Laws clearly separated the Israelites from all other nations and were intended to teach Israel that all authority rested in God.

All the regulations that controlled their daily activities were a reminder that there is a higher purpose in life than merely satisfying physical appetites. As Christians, surrounded by an evil world, we are aware of this higher purpose in life and should prayerfully choose between the evil and the good. Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to Thy Word (Ps. 119:9).

Only the food that was considered clean according to the divine Command was to be eaten by the Israelites. The animals that were acceptable for food were those that chewed their cud and had a divided hoof. These two features represent two characteristics of the Christian life. (1) The people of God must be separated from worldliness as a purchased possession (of Christ), unto the praise of His glory (Eph. 1:14). (2) In order for a Christian to remain clean, he should continue to meditate upon the Word of God (like "chewing the cud"). We must daily read and feed upon the Word of God, for Jesus said: Now ye are clean through the Word which I have spoken unto you (John 15:3).

Peter's vision on the housetop of Joppa clearly confirms that Christians today are not regulated by these ceremonial Laws (Acts 10). However, they do teach the vital necessity of a clean mind and heart. Christ alone can bring the life changes described in these Scriptures.

As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance: But as He which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation (conduct) (I Pet. 1:14-15).

Thought for Today:

Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ (II Cor. 10:5).
Christ Revealed:

Through the clean food of the believer (Lev. 11:1-47). Our Lord is the Bread of Life (John 6:35), supplies living water (4:10,14), and His Father's will was His meat (food, nourishment) (4:34).
Word Studies:

11:3 clovenfooted, split hoofed, 2 distinct hoofs; 11:35 ranges, cooking furnaces; 11:44 sanctify, dedicate to serve the Lord; 13:4 shut up, isolate, set apart; 13:5 be at a stay, has not changed; 13:10 quick, inflamed, ulcer forming; 13:43 rising, swelling; 13:45 rent, torn; 13:46 dwell, live; 13:55 fret inward, eaten away within, infected.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts: Sponsored by Ruth J. Hess • Government Official: Rep. Bill Flores (TX) • Country: Romania (22.5 million) in southeastern Europe • Major languages: Rumanian and Hungarian • Freedom of worship • 69.5% Romanian Orthodox Church; 14% non-Religious/Other; 8% Protestant; 7% Catholic; 1% Muslim; .1% Jewish; .4% Marginal • Prayer Suggestion: Pray for those who wrong you (Acts 7:59-60).
Optional Reading: Mark 8

Memory Verse for the Week: Ephesians 3:17

Read Leviticus 14 – 15

Highlights:

After reading these chapters, you will discover how awful sin is in the eyes of God. "Separation from sin" are the key words in today's Scripture. God expects His people to be "clean" clear through — not just in outward appearance.
This is the Law for all manner of plague of leprosy. . .To teach when it is unclean, and when it is clean (Lev. 14:54-57).

The disease of leprosy made a man unfit for society, separated him from the place of worship, and even forced him to leave his home and loved ones. He shall dwell alone; without the camp (13:46). He was an outcast and had to confess himself: Unclean, unclean (13:45). He defiled everything and everyone he touched.

Just as the leper was banished from the place of worship and the assembly of Israel, so the unsaved sinner is shut out from Jehovah's presence because of his defilement. He is unfit for fellowship with God.

If, by the mercy of God, a leper was healed, he still could not be restored to his home, society, or worship until after the priest pronounced the leper healed. Then two birds were brought for sacrifice. One was slain and its blood mingled with living water, symbolic of the Holy Spirit and the Word of God in operation through the living Christ who died on Calvary's cross. Then, the other bird was dipped into the water, mingled with blood, and was set free to fly into the sky — symbolic of Christ's resurrection and His ascension into heaven. It further symbolized that when the sinner is cleansed, he is free. The power of sin is broken, and we no longer have to live under the condemnation and power of Satan.

The cleansing and restoration of the leper foreshadowed the precious work of our Savior, who cleanses us from all unrighteousness (I John 1:9). The leper was helpless to pronounce himself cleansed. The priest had to first go forth out of the camp (Lev. 14:3) and make the sacrifice for the leper's cleansing and restoration.

Throughout the entire ceremony, the leper did nothing until after the blood was sprinkled (14:7). Even so, after a sinner confesses his sin and is cleansed by the blood, he is brought into fellowship with God and is a redeemed worshiper.

And, behold, there came a leper and worshipped Him, saying, Lord, if Thou wilt, Thou canst make me clean. And Jesus put forth His hand, and touched him, saying, I will; be thou clean. And immediately his leprosy was cleansed (Matt. 8:2-3).

Thought for Today:

And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God (Rom. 12:2).
Christ Portrayed:

By the priest who made atonement for a cleansed leper (Lev. 14:20). Our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement (reconciliation) (Rom. 5:11).
Word Studies:

14:8 tarry abroad, delay outside, stay outside his tent; 14:23 unto, in front; 14:32 whose hand is not able, who cannot afford; 14:38 shut up, quarantine; 14:41 within round about, all around inside; 15:19 put apart, keep separate, in a state of impurity.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts: In memory of Iva Ann McElroy (Dr. John A. Hash's mother) • Staff: Barbara Bivens • Country: Russia (146.5 million) northeastern Europe and northern Asia • Major language: Russian • Religious freedom • 55% Russian Orthodox; 9% Muslim; 1% Protestant (Baptist, Pentecostal); .8% Shamanist/Animist; .6% Buddhist; .5% Roman Catholic; .5% New Religions (e.g., Hare Krishna); .4% Jewish; .1% Old Believers; 32.1% Agnostics/Atheists/Others • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to show you what to do, and then be willing to do it (Acts 9:6).
Optional Reading: Mark 9

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Leviticus 16 – 18
Highlights:

Three spiritual truths stand out in today's Bible reading — Atonement, Sacrifice, and Holiness. PTL — learn how Jesus fulfills them all! The Laws of Atonement and Sanctification teach: Ye shall be Holy; for I am Holy (Lev. 11:44; comp. I Pet. 1:16). As we recall, the voice of Abel's blood cried out to God (Gen. 4:10). Later, He emphasized again: The life of the flesh is in the blood (Lev. 17:11).
And he shall make an atonement for the Holy Place . . . because of their transgressions in all their sins. . . . And Aaron shall lay both his hands upon the head of the live goat, and confess over him . . . all their transgressions in all their sins, putting them upon the head of the goat, and shall send him away by the hand of a fit man into the wilderness (Lev. 16:16,21).

The Day of Atonement was the most important day in the Israelites' year. That day (16:30) is referred to as a Sabbath of Sabbaths. The sacrifices offered on the annual Day of Atonement cleansed Israel from all their sins and failures so that Jehovah in His holiness might dwell in their midst.

On that day, two goats were brought in for the Sin Offering, and Aaron, the high priest, received them at the Tabernacle door. The first goat was sacrificed as a Sin Offering, and Aaron was required to enter the Holy of Holies with its blood.

When Aaron's work was completed within the Holiest (Heb. 9:3,8,19) of Holies, he put his hands on the second goat (known as the scapegoat — Lev. 16:26) and confessed all the sins of the children of Israel. And the goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a land not inhabited; and he shall let go the goat in the wilderness (16:22).

The scapegoat was forced to leave the camp — out of sight, forgotten, never to be seen again.

These two goats represent the twofold purpose of our Lord's death on the cross. The first goat was slain, typifying that our peace with God was restored by the blood of Christ.

The second goat represents the precious mercy of God in forever removing the sins of His people from His sight. Therefore we dare not condemn ourselves over sins already confessed and forsaken because God has forgiven and forgotten them. We must do the same. Furthermore, we can only expect God to forgive and forget our sins to the extent that we forgive others. (Matt. 6:14-15; 18:21-35.) The promise of God forever stands: I will remember their sin no more (Jer. 31:34).

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (I John 1:9).

Thought for Today:

Christ . . . Who His own self bare our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed (I Pet. 2:22-24).
Christ Revealed:

Through two goats used on the Day of Atonement (Lev. 16:8). The slaying of the first goat typifies that our peace with God was restored by the blood of Christ (Rev. 5:9).
Word Studies:

16:12 censer, incense holder; 16:19 hallow it, dedicate it only for God; 16:29 stranger, alien; sojourneth, stays, lives temporarily; afflict your souls, humble yourselves; 17:4 cut off, excommunicated; 18:18 vex, irritate, to be a rival to; 18:20 carnally, adultery; 18:21 seed, descendants; 18:25 visit the iniquity, bring judgment for its sins.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts: Sponsored by Leon & Ann Hataway • Staff: Beth Carlton • Government Officials: Gov. John Wright Hickenlooper (CO), Rep. Allen B. West (FL), Rep. Michael G. Grimm (NY), Rep. Steven Lee Fincher (TN), Rep. Richard (Doc) Hastings (WA) and Sen. Herb Kohl (WI) • Country: Rwanda (7 million) in central Africa • Major languages: Kinyarwanda and French • Religious freedom • 80% Christian; 10.5% Muslim; 4.5% non-Religious/Other; 4% Traditional ethnic; .2% Baha'i • Prayer Suggestion: Pray and fast in secret so that only the Lord knows (Acts 10:30).
Optional Reading: Mark 10

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk