Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Revelation 3
Highlights:

His message to churches at Sardis and Philadelphia; rebuke of the church of Laodicea; the sealed book; the Lion and the Lamb.
And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith He that is holy, He that is true, He that hath the key of David, He that openeth, and no man shutteth, and shutteth and no man openeth; I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept My Word, and has not denied My name (Rev. 3:7-8).

The Church in Sardis could boast that there were no false doctrines being taught; but there was an equally serious sin. Unto . . . the Church in Sardis write . . . I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead. Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die . . . . repent (3:1-3). Many churches fall into this category. They have a reputation for being alive and vibrant. However, the truth is far from that. I would like to give a message to pastors, deacons and other church members. Full pews every Sunday is not a sure sign of a healthy church.

The Church in Philadelphia probably seemed weak and insignificant as far as the world was concerned; their numbers were small and they had only a little strength (3:8). But notice! That small group of Christians in Philadelphia was not dependent upon their little strength; their faith was in Christ, who had opened a door that no one, not even those of the synagogue of Satan (3:9) were able to close. Jesus commended the church, saying: Behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou . . . hast kept My Word . . . I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation (testing), which shall come upon all the world (3:8,10). We may look at our circumstances in our church and they may seem overwhelming. Philadelphia should be an inspiration to all of us to persevere.

The majority of Church members in Laodicea probably congratulated themselves on being broad-minded. They probably pitied the narrow-minded Christians in Philadelphia. The Laodicean believers prided themselves on their ability to compromise. But Jesus severely condemned Laodicea: So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue (vomit) thee out of My mouth (3:16). Still, He appealed to them.

Today God has opened a door to evangelize the world. It is an open door which God in His grace has entrusted to us. Jesus is still saying: I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me. To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with Me in My throne (Rev. 3:20-21).

Thought for the Day: A Christian can lay up treasures in Heaven which no earthly power can destroy.

Cross Reference:

For Rev. 3:5: See Ex. 32:32. Rev. 3:12: See Is. 62:2. Rev. 4:2-3: See Ezek. 1:28. Rev. 4:5: See Zech. 4:2. Rev. 4:6: See Ezek. 1:22. Rev. 4:7: See Ezek. 1:10. Rev. 4:8: See Is. 6:2-3.
Word Studies:

3:20 sup, feast, share spiritual food and fellowship; 4:6 beasts, living ones.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Rita Guerra • Government Officials: Rep. Randy Neugebauer (TX) and Sen. Jeff Sessions (AL) • Country: Lebanon (4.3 million) in the Middle East • Major languages: Arabic and French • Limited religious freedom • 55% Muslim (Shi'a, Sunni); 41% Christian (Maronite, Orthodox, Melchite, Protestant, Chaldean, Assyrian, Syriac); 3% Druze; 1% Others (Jewish, Baha'i, Alawi, Jehovah's Witness) • Prayer Suggestion: Don't try to impress others with your prayers; pray about whatever is on your heart (Matt. 6:7-8).
Memory Verse for the Week: Luke 2:11

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Revelation 6
Highlights:

The Seals; 144,000 sealed; the numberless multitude; four trumpets sounded.
And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains; And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of Him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: For the great day of His wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand? (Rev. 6:15-17).

Seven hundred years before Christ was born, Isaiah revealed that the administration of justice would rest upon the Messiah-King. The government shall be upon his shoulder: and His name shall be called . . . The mighty God (Is. 9:6).

Isaiah foreold that Christ would be brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers (Is. 53:7). This was confirmed by John the Baptist who pointed out the Messiah by saying Behold the Lamb of God (John 1:29). Jesus is the Lamb of God. He is the last and only sacrifice ever needed by mankind.

Christ as the Lamb of God came to earth to portray the gentleness of God's love to all who receive Him as their Savior and Lord. During His life on earth and for the last 2000 years, Christ has shown mercy upon mercy to every individual who would simply choose to accept it. But on Judgment Day, to all who have refused His love and have chosen to remain under the control of Satan and in rebellion against God, He will say: Depart from Me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the Devil and his angels (Matt. 25:41).

As believers we rejoice in the fact that our names are written in the Lords Book of Life and we have the promise and privilege of being in the presence of the King of kings for all eternity. As Jesus proclaimed: After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb (Lord Jesus Christ), clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb (Rev. 7:9-10).

In heaven multitudes of overcomers stand in the presence of their Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Through the centuries, this revelation has strengthened the faith of many Christians who have faced fierce opposition from a hostile world.

Thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ (I Cor. 15:57).

Thought for the Day: God loves everyone; it is not His will that any should perish.

Cross References:

For Rev. 6:12: See Joel 2:31. Rev. 6:13: See Is. 34:4. Rev. 6:17: See Joel 2:11. Rev. 7:3: See Ezek. 9:4. Rev. 7:17: See Ezek. 34:23.
Word Studies:

6:13 untimely figs, unripe figs; 6:15 bondman, slave.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: in Honor of Daniel Turner, A life well spent, 23 years. • Staff: Ilene Wallace • Country: Lesotho (2 million) within the east-central part of the Republic of South Africa • Major languages: Sesotho and English • Limited religious freedom • 43% Roman Catholic; 30% Protestant; 6% ancestor worship, divination, and spirit-possession cults • Prayer Suggestion: Pray that the will of God be done in every situation you face today (Matt. 6:10).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Revelation 9
Highlights:

Fifth and sixth trumpets; angel and the little book; the two witnesses; the seventh trumpet.
And I will give power unto my two witnesses . . . . And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them (Rev. 11:3,7).

Who are these witnesses? What is their message? When will they appear? Many have answers. But let us not become so concerned over the identity of these witnesses in this future event that we fail to recognize their significance to us.

The two witnesses are not a self-appointed committee, but they are commissioned by God to face the fierce opposition of those who hate God. These two witnesses will be led by the Lord. And God will empower them. They will be invincible until they shall have finished their testimony. Then and only then will these witnesses for Christ be martyred in the city where also our Lord was crucified (11:8). Only after the time fixed by God for their ministry to be completed will these prophets be given over to the violence of their enemies to become martyrs. Yet the cause which they advocate will not even be weakened; And they heard a great voice from heaven . . . And they ascended up to heaven in a cloud (11:12) in full view of their enemies.

It is wonderful to know that, regardless of all else, our work for the Lord cannot end until He is pleased to promote us into His presence. We know that all things work together for good to them that love God (Rom 8:28). We have this wonderful assurance in life. As long as we live for Christ, His plan is at work in our lives. We don't have to be fearful as to what the day holds. We know who holds the next day in His hands.

There were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and His Christ; and He shall reign for ever and ever (Rev.11:15).

The same voice of God speaks through His Word to each of us who make up His Church today. He calls for a dedication and for a thankful spirit that will count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations (various trials); Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing (James 1:2-4). He calls for a sense of urgency to prepare us for the tasks He has placed before us. Multitudes are without Jesus and His free pardon of sin. We need to feel the urgency to win souls for Christ.

Jesus said: Ye shall be witnesses unto Me (Acts 1:8). We too are called to live — or die — as faithful witnesses for Christ.

Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord (II Cor. 15:58).

Thought for the Day: A Christlike nature can be seen through the life that is submissive to God's word.

Cross References:

For Rev. 9:2: See Joel 2:10. Rev. 9:4: See Ex. 12:23. Rev. 9:6: See Jer. 8:3. Rev. 9:7: See Joel 2:4. Rev. 9:8: See Joel 1:6. Rev 9:9: See Joel 2:5-7. Rev. 10:6: See Neh. 9:6. Rev. 11:4: See Zech. 4:2-3,11-12,14. Rev. 11:11: See Ezek. 37:5.
Word Studies:

9:11 Abaddon (Apollyon or destroyer), satanic angel and king of the abyss that is reserved for the wicked; 10:6 time no longer, no more delay.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Becca Lucio • Country: Liberia (3 million) in West Africa • Major languages: English and more than 20 local languages of the Niger-Congo language group • Religious freedom • 41% ancestor worship and witchcraft; 21% Muslim; 13% Protestant; 2% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Ask for your daily needs (Matt. 6:11).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Revelation 14
Highlights:

The Lamb; messages of the angels; harvest of the earth; preparation for the seven vials of wrath.
If any man worship the beast . . . he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone . . . And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night (Rev. 14:9-11).

In contrast, it is the Lord Jesus Christ that we should be worshiping in our church services. There is no doubt Jesus Christ deserves the praise and worship of every believer. It is He who gave His life for all mankind. Let us never focus our adoration on something earthly. The Son of God deserves all we can give. Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to Him; for the hour of His judgment is come: and worship Him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters (14:7).

Here is the patience of the saints (Christians): here are they that keep the Commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus. And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them (14:12-13).

The dead which die in the Lord can only mean those for whom Jesus prayed: They have kept Thy Word . . . They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world (John 17:6,16). Such believers willingly take up Jesus' cross of daily self-denial (Luke 9:23). In striking contrast, our Lord drew aside the veil of the unseen world and revealed the horror of the inevitable, fiery torment that awaits those who die without ever accepting the free gift of salvation through Christ Jesus (Rev. 14:9-11). They have chosen to enjoy the temporary pleasure of sin over an eternity of being in the presence of Christ.

There is an eternal hell, and all whose names are not found in the Book of Life will be cast into this lake of fire (Rev. 20:15). What words could God have used to make this warning more clear? Jesus has made the way plain. Man strives to make his own way which ends up leading people further away from God. What could be easier than accepting Christ as Lord and Savior? In My Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto Myself; that where I am, there ye may be also (John 14:2-3).

John declared that he saw a new Heaven and a new earth in a sinless environment where nothing that defileth can enter. There shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's Book of Life (Rev. 21:27).

Thought for the Day: God is no respector of persons — everyone will receive his just rewards — good or evil.

Cross References:

For Rev. 14:7: See Ps. 146:6. Rev. 14:8: See Is. 21:9. Rev. 14:10: See Jer. 25:15; 51:7. Rev. 14:15: See Joel 3:13. Rev. 14:20: See Is. 63:3. Rev. 15:1: See Lev. 26:21. Rev. 15:4: Ps. 86:9; Is. 66:23; Jer. 10:7. Rev. 15:8: See I Kin. 8:10-11.
Word Studies:

14:5 no guile, no lie or deception; 15:7 vials, bowls or cups.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Spencer Bachus (AL), Gov. Mike Beebe (AR), Sen. Johnny Isakson (GA), and Sen. Tim Johnson (SD) • Country: Liechtenstein (32,000) in western Europe • Major languages: German and Alemannic dialect • Religious freedom • 87% Roman Catholic; 12% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to lead you in all that you do (Matt. 6:13).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Revelation 17

Highlights:

Babylon, the mother of abominations, the doom of Babylon predicted; its fall.
And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit . . . and the merchants of the earth are waxed right through the abundance of her delicacies (Rev. 18:2-3).

Over one-eighth of the entire Book of Revelation, about 65 verses, is devoted to the subject of judgment upon Babylon (14:8-19; 16:17-19:5) and therefore deserves our full attention.

Babylon represents a great worldwide religious organization that is no longer faithful to Christ. It not only permeates the religious world but it also seeks to control the social and the political world.

The Apostle John reported that he carried me away in the Spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns . . . . having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations (detestable sins) and filthiness of her fornication (unfaithfulness to God): And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH (17:3-5). Old Testament Babylon was the most magnificent and most powerful capital city of the ancient world.

BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS illustrates God-defying forces in politics and religion. This federation of churches, world religions, and world governments will give full support to the one-world political and economic system, which will be ruled by the Antichrist.

The way to escape the world religious system and its beguiling influences is by separation from worldly principles. That separation becomes real when we experience joy and satisfaction in Christ. I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, My people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues (Rev 18:4). The way of escape is clear. Place your trust in God and His Word. This will always be the means of escape from the hands of those who would oppose God. Many have tried opposing God over the years and the results are always the same. They experience great failure.

These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for He is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with Him are called, and chosen, and faithful (Rev 17:14).

Thought for the Day: Those who know God's word will not be led into false religions.

Cross References:

For Rev. 17:4: See Jer. 51:7. Rev. 17:12: See Dan. 7:20-24. Rev. 17:14: See Dan. 2:47. Rev. 18:2: See Jer. 50:39; Is. 21:9. Rev. 18:5: See Jer. 51:9. Rev. 18:7-8: See Is. 47:7-8; Zeph. 2:15. Rev. 18:22: See Ezek. 26:13. Rev. 18:24: See Jer. 51:49.
Word Studies:

17:8 perdition = destruction; 18:2 Babylon (from "Babel") = confusion (Gen. 11:9). It is the name God chose for Satan's great earth system of religion and world government. The true Church is warned to come out of her (18:4-5).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Chip Cravaack (MN) • Country: Lithuania (4 million) eastern coast of Baltic Sea in northeastern Europe • Major languages: Lithuanian and Russian • Limited religious freedom • 80% Roman Catholic; 5% Russian Orthodox; 1% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to forgive you of all ill will, grudges, or hatred you may hold in your heart toward another person (Matt. 6:14-15).
Memory Verse for the Week:
Luke 2:11

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Revelation 19

Highlights:

Rejoicing of the saints; marriage supper of the Lamb; rider on the white horse; Satan bound for a thousand years; great white throne judgement.
And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years (Rev. 20:1-2).

In the preceding chapter the beast and the false prophet are depicted as meeting their punishment in the lake of fire. In this, the devil, death, and Hades are consigned to a similar fate.

There may be many things that we do not understand in the Word of God but one thing is clear: there is a devil, that old serpent, called Satan. However, we are assured that our Lord is more powerful than Satan and that God will have the last word.

God cannot tolerate sin. Although He permitted sin to arise in His kingdom. God created Lucifer, and made him the anointed cherub, the highest of His created beings. God foreknew that Satan would pit his will against divine authority and corrupt his own nature, and that in his fallen state as Satan he would lead others into rebellion. How are thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer . . . . For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God . . . I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell (Is. 14:12-15). God also foreknew when He created man that man would rebel against Him and bring untold misery, sin and suffering upon all his descendants. Although God foresaw all, He still brought into being these creatures whose willful acts were to bring the curse of sin upon the universe.

The Bible reveals that Satan is behind all evil, seeking to destroy the work of God and all that is good. (see I Pet.5:8). He is a deceiver and will attempt to ensnare every Christian. In ourselves, we have no hope of overcoming the enemy but we have an indwelling power we can utilize to help us overcome the evil one. Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world (I John 4:4).

Jesus' means of defeating Satan was by the very Word that we have in our hands today — the Bible (see Matt. 4:4,7,10). The Word of God is the greatest weapon at our disposal to defeat Satan. He does not have a chance when we use the Sword of the Spirit against him. He recognizes the Word when he hears it and knows it is the inspired Word of God and he fears it.

Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand . . . . And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God (Eph. 6:13,17).

Thought for the Day: Our Captain (the Lord Jesus) and His disciples have never lost a battle.

Cross References:

For Rev. 19:2: See Ps. 19:9; Deut. 32:43; II Kin. 9:7. Rev. 19:5: See Ps. 115:13. Rev. 19:11: See Ps. 96:13. Rev. 19:16: See Deut. 10:17. Rev. 19:18: See Ezek. 39:4. Rev. 20:2-3: See Is. 24:22. Rev. 20:8: See Ezek. 38:2,15. Rev. 20:12: See Dan. 7:10.
Word Studies:

19:6 Omnipotent, All-Powerful; 19:13 vesture, robe; 20:9 compassed, surrounded.
Prayer For Government Official: Rep. Mike Pompeo (KS) • Country: Luxembourg (429,000) in western Europe • Major languages: Luxembourgish and German • Religious freedom • 84% Roman Catholic; 2% Protestant; .1% Eastern Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Pray and fast in secret so that only the Lord knows.

Matthew 4:4

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Revelation 21
Highlights:

The new heaven and the new earth; the heavenly Jerusalem; Christ's return.
But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death (Rev. 21:8).

We have come to an end of another year, and to the end of THE BOOK far above all books. In fact it is the only BOOK provided by our Creator that reveals who the True God is. It reveals that we are lost sinners and how God wants us to live; and how to prepare for eternal life.

The Bible has always been the best seller, even though the Author wrote only one BOOK using about 40 people over a period of about 1500 years.

After prayerfully reading it, we will never be the same. And one of these days, sooner than we think, we will be turning the last page in our own journey though life. Once we've read it we will be better prepared to fulfil His will.

In your daily Bible reading, think, pray, and believe that the Holy Spirit will mold your life to be like Him whose Name is the Word of God (Rev. 19:13). Let His Word dwell in your thoughts throughout each day and you will become a living expression of His life. Let us renew our covenant to read His Guide.

There are many who walk in darkness and blindness today without even realizing their condition. They desperately need our prayers. There is a God who loves them and waits for them with open arms. Pray for their hearts to be opened, and thank a merciful God that your heart was broken, and now can experience and learn the freedom of His truth.

Those whose names are written in the Lamb's Book of Life will sit at Christ's feet and learn from Him as Mary did many years ago. In the eternal light of the presence of God, there will be no darkness, and nothing unclean. What a day that will be to look forward to seeing. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Those things, which ye have both learned, and received and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you (Phil. 4:8-9). Our future is awesome and thrilling. Our mighty God has promised a new heaven and a new earth.

And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea (Rev. 21:1).

Thought for the Day: Is your name included in Revelation 21:8, or has it been recorded in the Lamb's Book of Life (Rev. 21:27)?

Cross References:

For Rev. 21:4: See Is. 25:8. Rev. 21:23: See Is. 60:19. Rev. 21:25: See Is. 60:11. Rev. 21:27: See Is. 52:1. Rev. 22:2: See Ezek. 47:12; Gen. 2:9. Rev. 22:3: See Zech. 14:11. Rev. 22:12: See Is. 40:10. Rev. 22:13: See Is. 44:6; 48:12. Rev. 22:16: See Is. 11:1. Rev. 22:18-19: See Deut. 12:32.
Word Studies:

21:9 the bride, the Lamb's wife, the Church, the Lord Jesus' Church; 21:16 twelve thousand furlongs, 1500 miles; 21:23 lighten it, illuminate it; 22:7 prophecy, foretelling, forth telling, teaching; 22:16 angel to testify, messenger to bear witness.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Jeff Flake (AZ), Rep. Hal D. Rogers (KY), and Rep. Heath Shuler (NC) • Country: Macedonia (2 million) in southeastern Europe • Major languages: Macedonian and Albanian • strongly Orthodox country • 67% Macedonian Orthodox; 23% Muslim; 3% Catholic; 2% Protestant; 5% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Do not worry about your material needs (Matt. 6:25-30).
Matthew 4:4

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Genesis 1

Highlights:

Creation of all things; creation of Adam and Eve; temptation by Satan; Adam and Eve rebel against God and forfeit Garden of Eden.
God made mankind in His image and His likeness (Gen. 1:26). He made us different from every animal. God is a Spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth (John 4:24). No animal has a God consciousness or is capable of worshiping God.

The LORD God took the man (Adam), and put him into the Garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it (Gen. 2:15). Man's responsibility was to obey the Word of God and to take care of His garden. However, God allowed man's love, loyalty, and obedience to be tested.

In Eden, we are introduced to Satan, the one who came in the guise of the serpent (3:1). He is also called the dragon, that old serpent . . . the Devil. . . Satan (Rev. 20:2; also Is. 14:12; Matt. 13:39; I Pet. 5:8; Rev. 12:10). He did not reveal himself as the enemy of God or as a wicked deceiver intent on destroying every enjoyment of mankind (John 8:44). His intent was, and still is, to prevent man from obeying his Creator.

First, Satan tried to create doubt concerning the truth of what God had said. He implied that God was withholding the best enjoyments in life from Adam and Eve. He asked: Hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden (Gen. 3:1)? This was followed by Satan's partial truth, which was a lie: God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil (3:5). At that moment, Eve chose to rely on her "good judgment" rather than on the Word of God. She began to "covet" what belonged to God and disregarded His ownership and authority. When she saw that the tree was good for food, and . . . pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise (she chose to trespass on the property of God and), she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat (3:6).

On that day, Adam and Eve, the father and mother of all mankind, chose to eat the forbidden fruit. They sinned and consequently died spiritually, and they became destined to die physically. From that moment on, all of Adam's descendants inherited his sinful, disobedient nature. Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned (Rom. 5:12).

Thought for Today:

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour (I Pet. 5:8).
Christ Revealed:

As Creator (Gen. 1:1; comp. John 1:1-4; Col. 1:15-17; Heb. 11:3). As the Seed of woman (Gen. 3:15; Is. 7:14; 9:6-7). God sent forth His Son, made of a woman (Gal. 4:4).
Word Studies:

1:29 meat, food in general; 2:10 heads, branches, rivers; 2:14 Hiddekel, Tigris; 2:24 cleave, cling; 3:1 subtil, shrewd, crafty, sly; 3:13 beguiled, deceived, seduced, led astray; 3:15 it, her Seed (Jesus Christ); bruise, wound.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for our Military worldwide • Government Officials: Rep. Terri A. Sewell (AL), Rep. John Sullivan (OK), and Sen. Robert Menendez (NJ) • Country: Madagascar (15 million) an island in the Indian Ocean off the coast of Mozambique • Major languages: French and Malagasy • Increasingly anti-Christian • 43% witchcraft, ancestor worship, and some astrology; 21% Protestant; 21% Roman Catholic; 2% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Trust that God will provide your needs when you put His will first in your life (Matt. 6:31-33).
Optional Reading: Matthew 1

Matthew 1NOTE: Bible Pathway covers the Old Testament with devotional and commentary insights over a nine-month period, January through September. Each day during these months, an optional reading of one chapter a day from the New Testament will also be listed. The October, November, and December issues will provide a daily commentary on the New Testament readings. Thus, the reader goes through the New Testament twice each year using the Bible Pathway plan.

Memory Verse for the Week: John 3:14

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Genesis 4

Highlights:

Sacrifices of Cain and Abel; Cain murders Abel; genealogy from Adam to Noah; Noah's Ark.
God will forgive our sins when we repent and forsake our sins, but the physical and spiritual consequences are staggering and they are eternally irreversible. It did not take long for Adam and Eve's sin to become evident. Unto the woman He said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children. . . . And unto Adam He said . . . cursed is the ground for thy sake (because of what you have done) . . . Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth . . . In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground (Gen. 3:16-19). Physical death also became a reality as a result of their sin. Added to that, the LORD God sent him forth from the Garden of Eden (3:23).

Sin was now a characteristic of mankind. Adam and Eve's son Cain became jealous of his brother Abel and angry with God because Abel's sacrifice was "accepted" while his was rejected (4:4-5). The Lord approached Cain in love and offered him an opportunity to repent of his sin: If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door (4:7). While Cain's offering of the firstfruits of the ground recognized God as Creator, it did not recognize Cain as a sinner. Without shedding of blood is no remission (forgiveness of sin) (Heb. 9:22). By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts (11:4). Abel brought the best as an offering. He apparently recognized himself as a sinner and brought. . . the firstlings of his flock, which means he offered a blood sacrifice of a lamb as atonement for his sins (Gen. 4:4; comp. Heb. 11:4; 12:24). In striking contrast, Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him (Gen. 4:8).

The genealogy of the sons of God (6:2,4) continued through Adam and Eve's third son Seth (5:3), through whose lineage Jesus would come (Luke 3:23-38). What often happens today is exactly what happened then: The sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives (Gen. 6:2). It is assumed by some that marriage of believers (the sons of God) with nonbelievers (the daughters of men) may be acceptable. The heart could swell with pride that these mixed marriages produced brilliant men. They were mighty men . . . of old, men of renown (6:4). But, they were not men who lived in obedience to God.

From the beginning, the biblical principle has always been: Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers . . . what part hath he that believeth with an infidel (unbeliever)? And what agreement hath the Temple of God with idols? for ye are the Temple of the Living God (II Cor. 6:14-16).

Thought for Today:

For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not (Rom. 7:18).
Christ Revealed:

Through Abel's blood sacrifice (Gen. 4:4-7). Christ is the Lamb of God, sacrificed for man's sin (John 1:29; Heb. 9:22; 11:4). Man's best achievements can never take the place of Christ's atonement made through His own sinless blood.
Word Studies:

4:4 had respect, approved; 4:5 wroth, exceedingly angry; 4:22 artificer, craftsman in metal; 5:3 begat, fathered; 5:24 was not, was translated to (disappeared into) heaven; 6:6 repented the LORD, grieved the Lord; 6:9 perfect, blameless.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Dr. John A. Hash • Country: Malawi (10 million) in southeastern Africa • Major languages: English and Chichewa • Religious freedom • 34% Protestant; 23% Roman Catholic; 16% Muslim; 16% animist; 4% cults • Prayer Suggestion: Thank the Lord that you have no need to fear. Trust Him one day at a time (Matt. 6:33-34).
Optional Reading: Matthew 2

Memory Verse for the Week: John 3:14

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk