Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Zechariah 1 – 7
Highlights:

The future Jerusalem comforted (1:16-17) and restored (2:10). Satan ever accusing (3:1-2). Joshua, the High Priest, a foreshadow of Jesus, the BRANCH, from whom all our fruit must be gathered (3:8). Sins removed (3:9). The Spirit (4:6) Ten visions each interpreted by Scripture (chap. 4 – 6). False fast (7:5-6), true fast (7:8-10).
Speak unto all the people of the land, and to the priests, saying, When ye fasted and mourned in the fifth and seventh month, even those seventy years, did ye at all fast unto Me, even to Me (Zech. 7:5)?

Once again we find a prophet of God, Zechariah, calling Israel's attention to their practices that were not bringing honor to the Lord. This was during the time of their captivity in Babylon and Medo-Persia. At this time, the message from the Lord was meant to question the people of Israel's motivation in the things that they were doing.

In this verse, the Lord asked them to explain their reasons for fasting. God already knew the answer to this question, as He does to all questions. The reason He had Zechariah question them was to bring to their mind where they had fallen short with the Lord.

As it turned out, the people of Israel were fasting for the wrong reasons. Therefore, the Lord would not honor the fast. When it comes to anything we do for the Lord, the reasons behind our actions need to be godly.

Biblical references to the act of fasting changed somewhat after the birth of Christ. Even so, fasting is an action that the Word of God takes very seriously. It has a place of importance in both the Old and New Testaments.

Many times in the Old Testament, we find that national fasts were declared. The entire nation would fast and pray. This was usually done in response to national disasters, such as a drought, famine or coming war. However, it could have been tied to any number of things. Although there were instances of individual fasts, it seems the group fast was predominant in the Old Testament. And it came to pass in the fifth year of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah king of Judah, in the ninth month, that they proclaimed a fast before the LORD to all the people in Jerusalem, and to all the people that came from the cities of Judah unto Jerusalem (Jer. 36:9).

In the New Testament, fasting took on a more personal role, although there were still group fasts held for certain things. In the Gospels, Jesus Himself shared the importance of Fasting. He made it clear to those who were dedicated to following Him that this should be an important part of their walk with the Lord. This was discussed when the Disciples had unsuccessfully been trying to cast out a demon. Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out? And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting (Matt. 17:19-21).

Fasting is just as important to us today. When done for the proper reasons, it can deepen our relationship with God and draw us closer to the center of His will. Some people feel that because of health issues fasting is not open to them. However, we can fast from things other than food. Fasting is about denying the flesh and ignoring the pull of this world, while focusing 100% on the Lord and feeding the spirit with the Word of God and prayer.

But the days will come, when the Bridegroom shall be taken away from them, and then shall they fast in those days (Mark 2:20).

Thought for Today:

God has provided intercessory prayer for changing situations and people.
Christ Revealed:

As My Servant the BRANCH (Zech. 3:8). Christ was brought into the world in the fulness of the time (Gal. 4:4), and took upon Him the form of a servant (Phil. 2:7). But He will soon return as the Righteous Branch to reign as King (Jer. 23:5).
Word Study:

1:15 helped forward the affliction, increased your afflictions beyond My intentions; 1:19 horns, world powers; 1:21 fray, terrorize; 3:5 mitre, turban; 5:1 roll, The Word of God was written on parchment or skins, then rolled up.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for for Staff: Judy McCrary • Government Official: Rep. Bill Cassidy (LA) • Country: United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, & Wales) (59.4 million) off the coast of western Europe • Major languages: English and Welsh • Religious freedom • 55% Anglican; 16% Catholic; 6% Other Protestant; 2% Muslim; .9% Sikh; .8% Hindu; .6% Jewish; .2% Buddhist; 10.5% Other; 5% Unaffiliated • Prayer Suggestion: Praise God for His mercy (Ps. 136:2).
Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 145:14

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Zechariah 8 – 14
Highlights:

My people (8:8; 10:6-12). Hear the prophets (8:9). Fantastic revelations of Jesus, the Messiah, hundreds of years before His birth: (9:9; 11:12-13; 12:10; 13:7). Going through tough times? Like the remnant, we too can be refined like silver (13:9). His triumphant return to earth (14:4-9).
And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon Me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for Him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for Him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn (Zech. 12:10).

God has given Zechariah a profound prophecy to proclaim to Israel about the last days. This is a foretelling of what will happen between the Lord and the nation of Israel at the end of all time. It is fitting for us to look at how Israel arrives at this point.

The descendants of Abraham were chosen by God as His people. It was promised to Abraham that a great nation would rise from him. This blessing would be passed down through Isaac and then to Jacob until an entire nation was birthed. This was the nation of Israel that was born out of the seed of Abraham. And I will make thy seed as the dust of the earth: so that if a man can number the dust of the earth, then shall thy seed also be numbered (Gen. 13:16). And He brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and He said unto him, So shall thy seed be (Gen. 15:5).

Throughout the Old Testament, we see generation after generation establish the history of the nation of Israel. We see Moses raised up as a leader to bring them out of Egyptian bondage. We see how Joshua led the people into the Promised Land. We experience the time when Israel was led by Judges. We then come to the time of the kings in Israel; the time when Saul, David and Solomon came to power. The nation of Israel ended up dividing into two nations, Judah and Israel. Each one experienced their own pathway, but both were taken into captivity by Babylon, then Medo-Persia and finally Rome. The people of Israel ended up scattered throughout the world.

As the New Testament arrived and Christ came onto the scene, a change began to take place. The work of the Lord began to be manifested in the global Church instead of just in Israel. Though many Israelites came to Christ, there were just as many Gentiles, if not more, that found salvation. The Lord began to manifest Himself, not in a birth by human blood, but of birth by His blood. Circumcision was no longer needed to be called a child of God as it was in the Old Testament. The circumcision of the heart became important. But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from all sin (I John 1:7). In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ (Col. 2:11).

The time we live in now is the age of the Church. However, God has promised that the time will come when His face will turn towards Israel again. Israel is and always has been God's chosen. Their part in the last days will be great.

And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel (Rev. 7:4).

Thought for Today:

Do you hate your enemies wrongfully or do you pray for them as Jesus said?
Christ Revealed:

As King and as a Servant sold for thirty pieces of silver (Zech. 9:9; 11:12). They covenanted with him (Judas) for thirty pieces of silver (Matt. 26:15).
Word Study:

8:2 was jealous . . . with great jealousy = loved with great protective love; 10:3 goats, civic and political leaders; 10:8 hiss, signal; 11:7 Beauty, and . . . Bands, two shepherd's staffs; 14:9 His Name One, Jesus will be recognized and reign as God with no rival false god.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for for Government Officials: Rep. Joe Donnelly (IN), Sen. Bill Nelson (FL) • Country: United States (270 million) in North America • Major languages: English and Spanish • Religious freedom • 55% Protestant; 28% Catholic; 1% Orthodox; 2% Mormon; 2% Jewish; 1% Muslim; 11% Other/None • Prayer Suggestion: Give thanks to the God of heaven; His mercy and loving-kindness endure forever (Ps. 136:26).
Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 145:21

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Malachi 1 – 4
Highlights:

Casual attitude toward the Lord and worship. Their worship is sloppy and the priests neglect the commands of God. Unworthy sacrifices indicate no honor or respect (1:7-10,12-14). The Messiah, worthy of pure offerings (3:2-3). Repent (3:6-9). Support the work of the Lord (3:10-12). Get ready! Judgment cometh (4:1-6)!
Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed Me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed Thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed Me, even this whole nation. Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in Mine house, and prove Me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts (Mal. 3:8-11).

This opening Scripture may seem quite lengthy compared to others that are normally focused on in Bible Pathway. It is necessary today, however. Every part of these verses has something important to say about tithing. Let us examine each verse briefly here and try to learn what it tells about this important subject.

The message in verse 8 is fairly simple. A question comes from God through Malachi to the people. Will a man rob God? The people probably said no, as we might today. The Lord said yes. He explained that He is robbed whenever His people don't present Him with their tithes and offerings.

Verse 9 says that we are cursed for not giving to God what already is His. Have you ever heard someone say, "I can't afford to pay my bills, much less tithe?" The flaw in this statement is that the tithe should be first. The Scriptures seem pretty clear on the subject. If we try tithing to God with a grateful heart, then those bills might get paid.

The Lord promises just that in verse 10. What is the Lord's response to our tithing? He says that we will find out if we tithe. He tells us, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

However, that will not be all the Lord does. His blessings are not tied to finances alone, just as tithing is not tied to finances alone. The Lord even promises that the enemy will be held back during times that he tries to destroy what you are building. The Lord says in verse 12, And all nations shall call you blessed.

Tithing is an important part of living in perfect obedience to God. It is impossible to truthfully claim that your life is in right standing with the Lord if you are not tithing. Some say, "I give what I can, where I can, when I can." That is not tithing. That may fall under the column of offerings and alms. Now after many years I came to bring alms to my nation, and offerings (Acts 24:17). Tithing is not a gift; it is the act of returning to God what is already God's.

Tithing is the giving of our first fruits to God. As was said before, this involves finances, but also other things. How many of us give a tithe of our time to the work of the Lord? If we think along the guideline of ten percent, that would be 2.4 hours a day. That time could be spent in Bible study, prayer, sharing Christ with the lost, feeding the hungry or a host of other things that build the kingdom of God here on earth. God must always come first - remember to tithe.

Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again (Luke 6:38).

Thought for Today:

The fruit of righteous is a tree of life, and he that winneth souls is wise (Prov. 11:30).
Christ Revealed:

The Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to His Temple (Mal. 3:1). Jesus went into the Temple. . . . saying . . . My House shall be called . . . the House of prayer (Mark 11:15-17).
Word Study:

1:6 fear, reverence, willing obedience; 1:13 snuffed at, sneered at, lightly esteemed, despised, scorned; 2:12 The Lord will cut off . . . the master (who hath married the daughter of a strange god – see 2:11) and the scholar, the priest and the layman will be rejected; 3:13 Your words have been stout against Me, Your attitude has been harsh, strong against Me.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for for Staff: Beth Carlton • Country: Uruguay (3 million) on the southeastern coast of South America • Major language: Spanish • Religious freedom • 60% Roman Catholic; 2% Protestant; 2% Jewish; .7% Eastern Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Praise the Lord for His loving-kindness and faithfulness (Ps. 138:2).
Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 145:21

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Matthew 1
Highlights:

Generations of Jesus Christ; His birth; flight into Egypt and return to Nazareth; ministry of John the Baptist; baptism of Jesus; temptation by Satan; first disciples called.
Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as His mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost (Matt. 1:18).

Prophecy records a covenant requirement — the Messiah would belong to the royal house of David. Both Mary, through the blood lineage (Luke 3:23-38), and Joseph, through the legal lineage (Matt.1:1-16), were descendants of David. The miracle of the virgin mother was mentioned in the first promise as the Seed of the woman (Gen.3:15) meaning without the man, but is of the Holy Ghost (Matt:1:20). Isaiah prophesied: Therefore the Lord Himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel (Isaiah 7:14). The prophet is speaking of one virgin in the history of mankind, who would have a miraculous conception, a supernatural birth. For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given: and the government shall be upon His shoulder: and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace (Is.9:6). The Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us (John 1:14).

While Mary was espoused to Joseph (Matt.1:18) which was "their engagement" she explained to him the revelation that she was with child by a miraculous act of God. Joseph found this hard to accept and was considering a divorce (1:19). He then received a revelation from the angel of the Lord . . . in a dream, saying . . . fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for . . . she shall bring forth a Son, and thou shalt call His name JESUS: for He shall save His people from their sins (1:20-21).

Our Lord was born by a miraculous conception, in the likeness of sinful flesh (Rom. 8:3) but without sin, so that our human nature might be redeemed from sin and created anew in the image of God.

Christianity starts with a miracle birth and a like miracle takes place in the life of all who received Him . . . which were born, not of the blood, nor of the will of the flesh . . . but of God (John 1:12-13). Christ in you, the Hope of Glory (Col. 1:27).

Thought for Today:

Which is more important to you — personal desires or doing God's will?
Cross References:

For Matt. 1:23: See Is. 7:14. Matt. 2:6: See Mic. 5:2. Matt. 2:15: See Hos. 11:1. Matt. 2:18: See Jer. 31:15. Matt. 3:3: See Is. 40:3.
Word Studies:

1:18 espoused, engaged; came together, had physical relations, she was a virgin; 2:16 mocked of, deceived by; coasts, surrounding regions; 3:8 fruits meet for repentance, a life that confirms your change of heart; 3:15 Suffer, Allow; fulfil all righteousness, do all that God requires.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: sponsored by Mrs. Ruth Hess • Pray for Staff: Jennifer Palafox • Pray for Government Official: Rep. Devin G. Nunes (CA) • Country: Uzbekistan (24.4 million) central Asia • Major languages: Uzbek and Russian • Limited religious freedom due to Islamic influence • 68.2% Muslim (largely Sunni); 4.4% Russian Orthodox; .2% Roman Catholic; .2% Protestant; .5% Jewish; .5% Other; .2% Baha'i; .3% Buddhist; 25.5% non-Religious/Other • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to reveal what is not pleasing to Him (Ps. 139:23-24).
NOTE: We list the President, Vice President, Supreme Court Justices, Cabinet Members, Senators, Representatives, and Governors on their birthdays. Because we publish in advance our list may not reflect the results of the most recent elections.

Memory Verse for the Week: James 1:17

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Matthew 1
Highlights:

Generations of Jesus Christ; His birth; flight into Egypt and return to Nazareth; ministry of John the Baptist; baptism of Jesus; temptation by Satan; first disciples called.
Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as His mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost (Matt. 1:18).

Prophecy records a covenant requirement — the Messiah would belong to the royal house of David. Both Mary, through the blood lineage (Luke 3:23-38), and Joseph, through the legal lineage (Matt.1:1-16), were descendants of David. The miracle of the virgin mother was mentioned in the first promise as the Seed of the woman (Gen.3:15) meaning without the man, but is of the Holy Ghost (Matt:1:20). Isaiah prophesied: Therefore the Lord Himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel (Isaiah 7:14). The prophet is speaking of one virgin in the history of mankind, who would have a miraculous conception, a supernatural birth. For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given: and the government shall be upon His shoulder: and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace (Is.9:6). The Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us (John 1:14).

While Mary was espoused to Joseph (Matt.1:18) which was "their engagement" she explained to him the revelation that she was with child by a miraculous act of God. Joseph found this hard to accept and was considering a divorce (1:19). He then received a revelation from the angel of the Lord . . . in a dream, saying . . . fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for . . . she shall bring forth a Son, and thou shalt call His name JESUS: for He shall save His people from their sins (1:20-21).

Our Lord was born by a miraculous conception, in the likeness of sinful flesh (Rom. 8:3) but without sin, so that our human nature might be redeemed from sin and created anew in the image of God.

Christianity starts with a miracle birth and a like miracle takes place in the life of all who received Him . . . which were born, not of the blood, nor of the will of the flesh . . . but of God (John 1:12-13). Christ in you, the Hope of Glory (Col. 1:27).

Thought for Today:

Which is more important to you — personal desires or doing God's will?
Cross References:

For Matt. 1:23: See Is. 7:14. Matt. 2:6: See Mic. 5:2. Matt. 2:15: See Hos. 11:1. Matt. 2:18: See Jer. 31:15. Matt. 3:3: See Is. 40:3.
Word Studies:

1:18 espoused, engaged; came together, had physical relations, she was a virgin; 2:16 mocked of, deceived by; coasts, surrounding regions; 3:8 fruits meet for repentance, a life that confirms your change of heart; 3:15 Suffer, Allow; fulfil all righteousness, do all that God requires.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: sponsored by Mrs. Ruth Hess • Pray for Staff: Jennifer Palafox • Pray for Government Official: Rep. Devin G. Nunes (CA) • Country: Uzbekistan (24.4 million) central Asia • Major languages: Uzbek and Russian • Limited religious freedom due to Islamic influence • 68.2% Muslim (largely Sunni); 4.4% Russian Orthodox; .2% Roman Catholic; .2% Protestant; .5% Jewish; .5% Other; .2% Baha'i; .3% Buddhist; 25.5% non-Religious/Other • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to reveal what is not pleasing to Him (Ps. 139:23-24).
NOTE: We list the President, Vice President, Supreme Court Justices, Cabinet Members, Senators, Representatives, and Governors on their birthdays. Because we publish in advance our list may not reflect the results of the most recent elections.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Matthew 7
Highlights:

Conclusion of the Sermon on the Mount; preaching and miracles; call of Matthew.
Not every one that saith unto Me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the Kingdom of Heaven; but he that doeth the will of My Father which is in Heaven (Matt. 7:21).

The Jews presumed that they were all the chosen ones of the Messiah and would inherit His kingdom simply because they were descendants of Abraham and were identified with His covenant through circumcision.

It was a disturbing shock for them to hear the Lord say: Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in . . . and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it (7:13-14). The Lord made it clear that the majority of the religious people of His day were on the broad . . . way, that leadeth to destruction. Sadly, the same can be said today about many who consider they are part of the Christian world.

Many of the "religious" people today believe that Heaven can be obtained on much easier terms than those described in this Sermon on the Mount. But it is Christ who said if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out . . . and if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off (5:29-30). The Word is clear: If ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live (Rom. 8:13).

Entering into this "narrow gate" is the sincere desire to change masters; to now serve the Savior and not the lusts of the flesh (I John 2:15-17). Our minds, our affections, our wills, our conversation, and our conduct must all be brought into harmony with God's Holy Word.

The broad way is much more popular (Matt. 7:13). It is wide and full of self-will and self-gratification with no restrictions. It is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death (Prov. 14:12). The popular false prophets of today pride themselves on their broad-mindedness and liberality, while avoiding anything which suggests surrender, repentance, or obedience.

The true follower of Christ looks not to his own way but seeks his direction from the Holy Spirit. He chooses to serve God rather than the flesh. Even though he may have to endure trials at times he knows that he has the ultimate victory in life. Verily, verily I say unto you, He that heareth My Word, and believeth on Him that sent Me, hath everlasting life (John 5:24).

Thought for Today:

God will never put stones in the bread He gives.
Cross References:

For Matt. 7:23: See Ps. 6:8. Matt. 8:4: See Lev. 14:1-32. Matt. 8:17: See Is. 53:4. Matt. 9:13: See Hos. 6:6.
Word Studies:

7:2 ye mete, you measure out, give; 7:3 mote, tiny, insignificant speck; beam, such as judgmental unloving self-righteousness, pretending to have a character one does not possess; 7:6 rend, to tear apart; 8:31 suffer, permit; 9:9 receipt of custom, tax collector's office; 9:10 sat at meat, sat down to a meal; 9:36 fainted, were distressed by the burden of the rituals and rules of the scribes and Pharisees; scattered abroad, thrown down, confused, deceived, neglected by the self-righteous leaders who were more concerned about keeping their own position than helping others.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Tifany Edwards • Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Karen Bass (CA), Sen. Jeff Bingaman, Jr. (NM), Rep. Allyson Y. Schwartz (PA), and Sen. Sean P. Duffy (WI) • Country: Vatican City (900) in Rome, Italy • Major languages: Italian and Latin • Religious freedom • Approximately 100% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Sing unto the Lord with thanksgiving (Ps. 147:7).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Matthew 10
Highlights:

Twelve disciples chosen; questions sent by John the Baptist; great invitation.
And as ye go, preach, saying, The Kingdom of Heaven is at hand (Matt. 10:7).

Following His request for prayer to send forth labourers into His harvest (Matt. 9:36-38), Jesus chooses seventy also, and sent them two and two before His face into every city and place, whither He Himself would come (Luke 10:1).

Jesus chose just ordinary men from the communities in which He preached to send out as lambs among wolves (10:3). Wolves are the natural enemy of sheep. Although wolves often appear as sheep (Matt. 7:15), beneath the surface the hostility against Christ and the Lord's work never goes away — it is relentless. The wolf's eyes, teeth, and muscles are always poised to destroy the one whose conversation, conduct, and conscience are set on glorifying Christ. With heartless cruelty, the world pursues Christ and His disciples as did Herod, the Pharisees, the rulers, and even Pilate who found no fault in this man (Luke 23:4) yet cooperated in putting Christ to death.

The Christian has a "sheep-like" nature, but is not "sheepish." The sheep is a symbol of innocence, not cowardice. The Christian can stand bold in the face of the fiercest enemy, for he fears not them which kill the body. . . but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell (10:28). The disciple is not above his Master (10:24). And the Christian has no reason to expect kindness from a hostile world, when his Master faced fierce enemies. Christian persecution, often in the form of pressure to compromise, has always been a test of sincerity. Persecution immediately divides the professor from the possessor; it separates the tares from the wheat. Times of peace have too often become a time of ease, lukewarmness and indifference.

The diciples were warned to beware of men (10:17). Sheep could not defend themselves, consequently they needed to stay close to the Shepherd.

Jesus continued by saying that the Kingdom of Heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force (11:12) meaning that the Kingdom will be entered by men and women who will not be intimidated or stopped by friends, peer pressure or fierce opposition. His true disciples, like the Apostles who were beaten for witnessing of their faith in Christ, rejoiced that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for His name (Acts 5:40-42).

Thought for Today:

We will find new joy in our Christian lives when we learn to yield our will and do God's will.
Cross References:

For Matt. 10:11, 35-36: See Mic. 7:6. Matt. 11:5: See Is. 35:5; 61:1. Matt. 11:10: See Mal. 3:1. Matt. 11:23: See Ezek. 26:20; 31:14; 32:18,24. Matt. 11:29: See Jer. 6:16.
Word Studies:

10:25 Beelzebub, prince of evil; 10:29 a farthing, a small coin of little value; 10:35 variance, division, disagreement; 11:20 upbraid, rebuke.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: sponsored by Ruben Thuillard • Pray for Staff: Kevin Jennings • Pray for Country: Venezuela (23 million) on the northern coast of South America • Major languages: Spanish and Indian dialects • Religious freedom • 94% Roman Catholic; 1% Protestant; 1% Indian pagan religions • Prayer Suggestion: Praise the Lord for His wonderful blessings (Ps. 150:2).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Matthew 12

Highlights:

Jesus, Lord of the Sabbath; controversy with Pharisees; unpardonable sin; Christ's death and resurrection foretold.
For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth (Matt. 12:40).

While our Lord was healing great multitudes, the pharisees held a council against Him, how they might destroy Him (Matt. 12:13-14). The hatred and violence of the religious leaders reached a climax when one was brought unto Jesus possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and He healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw. And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David (12:22-23)?

Yes, the people were convinced that Jesus fulfilled the prophecies of the Messiah. But in the minds of the religious leaders, this man was a threat to "their" authority and must be stopped.

To destroy the people's belief in Jesus as the Messiah the religious leaders said that He did cast out devils, but that it was through the power of the devil (12:24). By knowingly seeking to attribute the miracle ministry of the Holy Spirit through Christ to that of Satan, the religious leaders had committed the unpardonable sin (Mark 3:29).

The religious leaders continued questioning Jesus, saying Master we would see a sign from You (Matt. 12:38). They had already had hundreds of signs and they had just seen a marvelous miracle. He answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas (12:39). But with these words Jesus was also pointing out to these religious men the condition of their hearts. When Jonah preached to the heathen city of Nineveh, the people there recognized God's Word and repented. But even when confronted by the Son of God Himself, these experts in the Law would not turn, saying instead: Out of Galilee ariseth no prophet (John 7:52).

Jesus then referred to the Queen of Sheba, a Gentile who had come a great distance to hear the wisdom of God from Solomon. This was also a rebuke to the Pharisees, who would not listen although a greater than Solomon is here (Matt. 12:42). Like the Pharisees this will be the undoing of all who refuse to hear the One whose wisdom is from everlasting; of whom Paul said, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God (I Cor. 1:24).

Thought for Today:

What great foolishness it is to question the Scriptures and profess to be wiser than Jesus Christ Himself!
Cross References:

For Matt. 12:7: See Hos. 6:6. Matt. 12:18-21: See Is. 42:1-4. Matt. 12:40: See Jon. 1:17.
Word Studies:

12:1 corn, grain fields; 12:5 profane, violate or break the law; 12:29 spoil his goods, take away his possessions; 12:44 garnished, ready for use.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: In memory of Al Joslyn • Pray for Government Officials: Sen. Benjamin L. Cardin (MD) and Rep. Denny R. Rehberg (MT) • Country: Vietnam (78.5 million) in Southeast Asia • Major languages: Vietnamese and French • Very strict control of Christians in the North; the South has been more lenient but is getting tighter • 60% Buddhist; 8% Catholic; 1% Protestant; 3% Cao Dai; 2% Hoa Hao; 3% Islam; 13% Other; 10% None • Prayer Suggestion: Let your prayers be praise to the Lord (Ps. 150:6).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Matthew 13
Highlights:

Jesus' parables; execution of John the Baptist; feeding of 5,000; Jesus walks on water.
All these things spake Jesus . . . saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world (Matt. 13:34-35).

Jesus gave seven prophetic parables which puzzled the disciples who said: Why speakest thou unto them in parables? (13:10). In answer to the disciples' question, Jesus quoted from Isaiah, saying This people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed (Matt.13:15; Is.6:9).

The seven parables should be considered as vital aspects of the mysteries of the Kingdom of Heaven (13:11). Jesus first describes four kinds of responses from those who hear His Word. Some react with self-destroying indifference; they represent the seed that fell by the way side, and the fowls . . . devoured them (13:4). The fowls imply internal disinterest as well as external evil influences. Others seem receptive to His Word, but soon lose interest; these are like the seed sown upon stony places (13:5), meaning solid rock beneath a very shallow covering of soil. Because the seed sprouts quickly and springs up, these "converts" appear so promising, so full of life, and anon with joy receiveth it (13:20). When they are faced with persecution, opposition, or even the rebuke of God's Word, they are offended (13:21) because there is no real depth to their commitment.

Still others become too occupied with the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches (13:22). They represent seed that falls on good soil, people who are neither indifferent, as in the first example, nor shallow, as in the second. However, they are double-minded, allowing other interests to hold equal devotion within their hearts. The tragic result is that, like weeds left in a "good garden," the Word of God is eventually crowded out by other "good things" which choke the Word and it becometh unfruitful (13:22). But some fell into good ground (13:8). This represents the few who not only believe God's Word, but allow it to break up the rocky ground — areas that have not been yielded to God — and root out the weeds and thorns which represent mixed motives that hinder spiritual effectiveness.

The extent of our fruitfulness depends on how thoroughly we weed out our material, social, political, or other interests to allow our good seed to produce some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty (13:23).

Thought for Today:

We should be devoted to Christ and His interests if we expect the Lord's blessings.
Cross References:

For Matt. 13:14-15: See Is. 6:9-10. Matt. 13:32: See Ps. 104:12; Ezek. 17:23; 31:6; Dan. 4:12. Matt. 13:35: See Ps. 78:2. Matt. 13:41: See Zeph. 1:3. Matt. 13:43: See Dan. 12:3.
Word Studies:

13:5 forthwith, quickly; 13:15 is waxed gross, has grown hardened; 13:20 anon . . . receiveth it, immediately accepts it; 13:21 dureth for a while, continues only a short time; 13:25 tares, weeds — symbolic of satanic activities; 13:33 leaven, seemingly insignificant yeast that affects the whole; meal, ground grain; 14:8 charger, large platter.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: sponsored by Leon & Ann Hataway • Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Steve J. Scalise (LA), Rep. Brian Higgins (NY), and Rep. Lloyd Doggett (TX) • Country: Yemen (17 million) in southwestern Arabia • Major language: Arabic • Attempts to convert Muslims to Christ are fiercely opposed • 98% Muslim; .03% Christian (all secret believers) • Prayer Suggestion: The heart of the wise teacheth his mouth, and addeth learning to his lips (Prov. 16:23).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Matthew 15
Highlights:

Scribes and Pharisees rebuked: many healed; 4,000 fed; Peter's confession of Christ; death and resurrection foretold; transfiguration; question of tribute money.
And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the Living God (Matt. 16:16).

Jesus had now reached a major turning point in His mission. His marvelous miracle ministry was finished. After feeding the 4,000 men, besides women and children, near Capernum, He dismissed the crowds, got into a boat, and went across the lake to Magdala (15:38-39) near where the Jordan enters the Lake of Gennesaret. He arrived in the vicinity of the principal source of the Jordan at Caesarea Philippi, the northernmost city of the Promised Land.

Caesarea Philippi is located at the foot of Mount Hermon. It was here in the midst of prominent and popular idol worship that Jesus asked His disciples: Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? (16:13). It could have been a very troubling question, since the religious leaders of the nation all violently opposed Him.

Furthermore, Jesus had not fulfilled the hopes of the people for a revolution. Thus, some of the crowds that once had followed Him with great enthusiasm, had left Him (John 6:15,66).

In response to His question, the disciples answered: Some say that Thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets (Matt.16:14). At this time, none regarded Him as the Messiah. But when He said: whom do you say that I am? without hesitation, Peter said: You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God (16:16).

Matthew, throughout his Gospel, clearly points out how Jesus of Nazareth fulfilled "all" the prophecies concerning the Messiah. But, most importantly, the revelation was inward, as the Lord confirmed: Flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but My Father which is in Heaven (16:17). The world will always be confused as to whether Jesus was a prophet or just a good man. Not until the eyes of our understanding have been opened by the Holy Spirit, can we receive the true revelation of who Jesus really is.

All who confess their sins and see their need of a Savior recognize Him as their only hope of eternal life. And, like Matthew, millions have forsaken all to follow Him. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? (Matt.16:26).

Thought for Today:

No one will ever recognize Jesus as Lord through human reasoning.
Cross References:

For Matt. 15:4: See Ex. 20:12; 21:17; Lev. 20:9; Deut. 5:16. Matt. 15:8-9: See Is. 29:13. Matt. 16:27: See Ps. 62:12; Prov. 24:12.
Word Studies:

16:6 leaven, false teaching; 16:18 gates of hell, the powers of Satan; 17:25 prevented him, anticipated what Peter would say and spoke before Peter could.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Country: Zaire, Democratic Republic of the Congo (63 million) in south-central Africa • Major languages: French and Lingala • Limited religious freedom • 42% Roman Catholic; 28% Protestant; 12% magical practices, ancestor worship, and witchcraft; 1% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Study and heed the instruction of the Word of God that your prayers may be heard (Prov. 1:28-30).
Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 139:1-2

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk