Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Daniel 10 – 12
Highlights:

Gabriel sent, but a demonic force withstood. It's war and we're in it (10:11-13). The march of the kings, 1,2,3. (chap. 11). Read the promise (12:1).
Then said he unto me, Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand, and to chasten thyself before thy God, thy words were heard, and I am come for thy words. But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia (Dan. 10:12-13).

Daniel had been praying for some time. It is not clear to us exactly how long, although from the verse it could have been as many as 21 days. There could be a message in that to remind us that we should persevere in prayer. It seems in today's society that we have taken a different path. We might pray before our meals, or maybe in the morning or at bedtime, and we call that a complete prayer life. The Word of God is clear on how much and how often we should pray. Pray without ceasing (I Thes. 5:17).

However, there is much more happening in these verses than just a lesson in prayer. Prayer is an important part of what we see happening here, but it is only a part of it.

In reading the verses, we see that the message of the Lord is received by Daniel in answer to the extensive prayer that he has been praying. The things that the message reveals to Daniel over the course of these chapters is a great prophetic statement tied to the last days. Many people call Daniel a companion book to Revelation. This can definitely be said with no exaggeration.

An interesting thing that is mentioned in these two verses is the fact that the messenger was delayed with his message to Daniel. Daniel was told of a delay of 21 days because of a confrontation with someone or something called, the prince of the kingdom of Persia.

It could be said that this individual was just who the name implied. It may have been one of Persia's princes. Some might speculate it was Cyrus himself or his son, Cambyses. Of course, in saying that, we are saying that a human being did battle with the messenger of God and survived. In fact, not only did they survive, they held off God's messenger for 21 days. Hard to believe? No doubt.

Most commentators agree that what we have here is a case of spiritual warfare between the messenger of God and a fallen angel or demon tied to Persia. This demonic force was evidently trying to prevent this prophetic message from getting to Daniel. In the end, God and His angelic forces prevailed.

This scenario can be compared to our spiritual lives today. God seeks for us to prosper in Him. Our enemy the devil seeks to do anything to tear us down. He will do everything he can in his power to keep us from the Lord. The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly (John 10:10).

It could be said that Daniel's perseverance in prayer kept the messenger on his way. If he had given up, who knows the outcome? When we feel under spiritual attack, we can be encouraged that forces of heaven, including the angels, will come to our defense.

For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds (II Cor. 10:4).

Thought for Today:

In running the race of life we need to run with patience and endurance.
Christ Revealed:

As Him that liveth for ever (Dan. 12:7). As One of the Three expressed Persons of the Trinity, Jesus Christ always has been and always will be. Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily (Truly, truly), I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am (John 8:58). I am Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the Ending, saith the Lord (Jesus Christ), which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty (Rev. 1:8, also 4:8).
Word Study:

10:15 dumb, speechless; 11:11 choler, furious rage; 1:15 fenced cities, strongholds; 11:24 fattest, richest; forecast his devices, prepare his plans; 12:7 a time, times, and an half, 3-1/2 years.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Clarence Rathbone • Government Official: Rep. John Tierney (MA) • Country: Togo (5 million) in western Africa • Major languages: French and several African languages • Limited religious freedom • 41% belief in false gods and voodoo; 32% Roman Catholic; 19% Muslim; 8% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Remember that one of the purposes of prayer is to glorify God (Ps. 115:1).
Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 145:10

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Hosea 1 – 6
Highlights:

God's faithfuless/people's unfaithfulness. Who wins (1:2)? God's wrath (2:2), redemption (2:14). Sinful nation (chap. 4). God withdraws (chap. 5). Repent (chap. 6)!
The beginning of the Word of the LORD by Hosea. And the LORD said to Hosea, Go, take unto thee a wife of whoredoms and children of whoredoms: for the land hath committed great whoredom, departing from the LORD (Hos. 1:2).

The things said in this verse make Hosea one of the more controversial books in the Bible. There are even some scholars who try to purely spiritualize this event, but the truth of the Word of God is the truth, pure and simple. Is its message always easy to accept? No, it is not. However, just because it is not easy to accept or understand does not mean we can change it. As a matter of fact, the Word of God warns us of that very thing. And if any man shall take away from the Words of the Book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this Book (Rev. 22:19).

Now that we have determined that God's Word says exactly what it says, let us look at what happened here and why. The Lord had called Hosea to be a prophet to the nation of Israel. Unlike the other half of the divided kingdom, Judah, which at times had kings who followed the Lord, all of Israel's kings were evil. Hosea's ministry lasted about forty years.

As stated above, Hosea Chapter 1 Verse 2 has been a springboard for much discussion. In this verse, the Lord instructs the prophet Hosea to find a woman who is a prostitute and marry her. Many find it hard to believe that God would instruct anyone, let alone a prophet of the Lord, to marry a prostitute, yet this is exactly what He commanded Hosea to do.

The Lord has a reason for everything He does. He also has a message for us in every single book, chapter, verse and word found in the Word of God. There is no wasted space found anywhere in the pages of God's Word.

God was saying something much bigger than what it seems with the marriage of Hosea to the prostitute Gomer. The Lord was making a statement to Israel about who and what she had become. This marriage exposed the sins of the nation of Israel. She had herself committed adultery, but of a spiritual nature. Israel had chased after other gods as a prostitute would chase her next client. And the LORD said unto Moses, Behold, thou shalt sleep with thy fathers; and this people will rise up, and go a whoring after the gods of the strangers of the land, whither they go to be among them, and will forsake Me, and break My covenant which I have made with them (Deut. 31:16).

Even though Israel had committed this grievous sin, God still loved His people. He still wanted to give them a way back to Him. The Lord knew that as the sin of the nation became revealed many would desire to repent and turn back to Him.

We all go astray at times. We chose another way besides Jesus because it looks easier. Then, as we start walking that way, we realize that life is harder without God than with Him. Thanks be to Him that, in His loving mercy, He sticks with us and has clearly marked the path we need to take for forgiveness (see I John 1:9).

Turn, O backsliding children, saith the LORD; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion (Jer. 3:14).

Thought for Today:

The Lord says to lay up treasure in heaven. How well have you prepared?
Christ Revealed:

Through Hosea's love for his unworthy, sinful wife (Hos. 3:1-5). Our Lord Jesus not only loved us while we were yet sinners, but He also died the death of shame for us on Calvary so that all He possessed might become ours (Rom. 5:8; 8:32; II Pet. 1:3-4). I will betroth thee unto Me for ever (Hos. 2:19).
Word Study:

2:3 (first) set, expose; (second) set, leave; 3:4 ephod, sleeveless priestly outer garment; 4:16 slideth back, is stubborn, obstinate. Israel has committed whoredom and sacrificed to idols.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: Sponsored by Thursday Morning Prayer • Government Officials: Rep. Tim Scott (SC), Rep. Henry Cuellar (TX) • Country: Tonga (109,000) in the southwestern Pacific • Major languages: Tongan and English • Religious freedom • 55% Protestant; 22% Mormon; 14% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Call upon the Lord in adversity, for He will hear (Ps. 116:1-4,8).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Hosea 7 – 14
Highlights:

Seek help from foes (chap. 7); golden calves (chap. 8). Reap what you sow (8:2-7). Lord's love (chap. 11); Anger (chap. 13). Sacrifice/praise (chap. 14).
And they consider not in their hearts that I remember all their wickedness: now their own doings have beset them about; they are before My face (Hos. 7:2).

Our Lord knows our ways. He created us. Every little detail of who we are was planned out by Him. A dimple in a chin, a fiery little temper that causes the stomping of a five year old's foot, a sweet smile that resembles their mother's, all are examples of how God carefully and wonderfully made all the pieces that make up who we are. We may not understand why we were born with some traits or afflictions, but our Creator knows why.

Everything is for a purpose. We are made in God's image and are born to live for Him and His purpose. Once we are here though, it has to be our choice to do so. We would be mindless robots if God had not given us the gift of free will. He gives us the freedom to choose either His path or our own. Oftentimes, we turn to Him once we realize that our own path has become destructive and lacking. We may search trying to fill that void in our life, not realizing that what we are lacking is Jesus. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them (Eph. 2:10).

God knows our hearts, and our hearts are filled with wickedness. It is our choice whether we embrace the wickedness or turn to Him for His cleansing power. He will allow us to fall into our own pits and turn completely from Him. He will listen as we deny His existence and yet still reach out His hand in His mercy the moment we turn our eyes toward Him and acknowledge He is God. His marvelous grace knows no bounds.

Often we place one sin higher than another. Pride, murder, jealousy, greed, deceit, they all lead to a bitter end. God sees our sin and knows what it will develop into if it goes unchecked. He knows our every thought. He knows what lies unsaid in our hearts, eating away at our very soul. He sees every fleeting thought, both the ones acted on, and the ones not acted on. Even so, His hand of mercy reaches down waiting for us to reach back.

God does not put one of us higher than the other. We all have the same opportunity to accept God's grace. How surprised we may be if we reach heaven and see a murderer that has been changed by the grace of Jesus, but we do not see an elder from our own church or a neighbor who was always willing to lend a helping hand. Salvation is not about what we do; it is about what Jesus did for us and how we accept it. Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which He shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour (Titus 3:5-6).

When we repent and accept Jesus as our Savior, the Holy Spirit comes into our hearts to lead us and guide us. Even after this occurs, we may still choose to sin. This grieves the Holy Spirit within us, who then urges us to turn from our sin and back to God's plan for our lives.

What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death. But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life (Rom. 6:21-22).

Thought for Today:

God says He will forgive our sins but only if we forgive those who sin against us.
Christ Revealed:

In the son who was called out of Egypt (Hos. 11:1). This prophecy is twofold: one is a historical reference pertaining to Israel (Ex. 4:22-23); and the other is prophetic, looking to the sojourn of Christ as a child in Egypt (Matt. 2:14-15).
Word Study:

9:1 hast gone a whoring, have committed spiritual adultery and idolatry, were unfaithful to God (Israel was regarded as the wife of Jehovah. Isaiah 54:5; 62:4-5); cornfloor, threshing floor; 10:5 calves, golden calf idols; 10:11 to ride, to put in harness; 11:12 yet ruleth with God, is still considered faithful to God.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Country: Trinidad and Tobago (1 million) two islands seven miles off the coast of Venezuela • Major languages: English and Hindi • Religious freedom • 34% Protestant; 29% Roman Catholic; 25% Hindu; 7% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Know that God answers prayer (Ps. 118:5).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Joel 1 – 3
Highlights:

Destruction (1:15). Darkness (2:3,9-10). Give me your heart (2:12-13). Worship, intercession, repentance (2:17); Rejoice (2:23); be saved (2:32); dwell with God (3:17).
And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out My spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out My spirit. And I will shew wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke. The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and the terrible day of the LORD come (Joel 2:28-31).

These words that were spoken by the prophet Joel may seem familiar. That is because they can also be found in Chapter 2 of the Book of Acts in the New Testament. On the day of Pentecost, Peter came out of the upper room with the anointing of the Holy Ghost upon him. He stood in front of the thousands gathered there and, hundreds of years after they were first uttered, Peter quoted Joel's prophetic words.

The message delivered by both Joel and Peter is as important to the Church today as it was to the Church in New Testament times. It is a prophecy of what is to come. The first half speaks toward how the Holy Ghost will work in the lives of the children of God as the latter days approach. The second half conveys a message of supernatural occurrences that will happen as related to the planet earth and the heavens.

It would help to briefly examine the things prophesied by Joel and repeated by Peter. The first statement that was made is that the Spirit of God will be upon all those who are His. Evidence of the Holy Spirit will be shown in the lives of those serving God. Some of that evidence will be in the forms of visions, dreams and prophecies. We know from the Word of God that these are gifts that are given to the believers by God. These gifts are given to encourage the believer and show the truth to the unbeliever. Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are differences of administrations, but the same LORD. And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal (I Cor. 12:4-7).

Another thing we can see from these verses is the fact that God uses both men and women to accomplish the work of the kingdom of God. He says sons and daughters and servants and handmaids. The Lord has a long history of using great women of faith. The stories of Deborah, Ruth and Esther can be found In the Old Testament. In the New Testament, women such as the mother and grandmother of Timothy were credited for their faith. When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also (II Tim. 1:5).

God has exciting plans for all of His children, men or women, who follow and serve Him obediently. What greater thing could there be in life than being used by God?

Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the LORD Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him (Acts 28:31).

Thought for Today:

It is a privilege to suffer for Christ, but He didn't say it would be easy.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who said: I will pour out My Spirit upon all flesh (people) (Joel 2:28) – fulfilled in part on the Day of Pentecost and still being fulfilled today (Acts 2:16-18).
Word Study:

1:12 languisheth, withers away; 1:16 meat, food; 1:17 garners, storehouses, granaries; 2:6 gather blackness, turn pale with terror.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Gov. Steve L. Beshear (KY) • Country: Tunisia (10 million) in North Africa • Major languages: Arabic and French • Islamic state — no open ministry for Christ is permitted; strict surveillance of all Christian activities • 99+% Muslim; .3% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Ask for understanding of the Word of God so you can share it with others (Ps. 119:27).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Amos 1 – 5
Highlights:

Amos, a lowly herdsman, burdened (1:1-2). Prophecy against neighbors (1:3 – 2:3); against Judah, Israel (2:4-16). Why (3:2,10)? Enemy coming (3:11). The people talk the talk but don't walk the walk (5:23-24).
For, lo, He that formeth the mountains, and createth the wind, and declareth unto man what is His thought, that maketh the morning darkness, and treadeth upon the high places of the earth, The LORD, The God of hosts, is His name (Amos 4:13).

We cannot hide from God, no matter how hard we try. We can say He does not exist, yet that does not change the fact that He does. As Amos tells us in this verse, He is the Almighty Creator of all things. If we say a bird cannot fly, that does not stop it from flying. If we say the wind is not blowing, that does not stop the trees from swaying. Furthermore, if we say God did not create us, that does not change the reality that He knit us in our mother's womb. All things were made by Him; and without Him was not any thing made that was made (John 1:3).

God has given us the ability to know the difference between right and wrong. Just because we want something to be right doesn't make it so. Oftentimes, sin becomes so much a part of who we are that it defines us. Once that happens, we have a choice to make. We can either embrace the chain of sin that binds us or be ashamed and turn from it. Granted, there are times when Satan will confuse us by telling us a sin is not really a sin. Satan's lies do not turn out well for the sinner, though. For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God (Rom. 3:23).

The alcoholic bound by their addiction may live in denial as Satan tells them they need one more drink and causes them to believe they are worthless without it. Others, filled with pride and hate, see everyone as their enemy because they have never known unconditional love. Satan feeds their fear by telling them that such love does not exist. He whispers in their ears that they are alone in this world.

What a sorrowful existence it is to live deceived, embracing the chains that bind you. Our Father God, the Creator of all, has the power to remove the scales from our eyes and convict our hearts of our sins, big and small. It is our choice whether to turn to Him or not. Our loving Father gives us chance after chance to turn to Him, yet so often we hold tight to those chains out of fear of the unknown. Our sin has bound us for so long that it is all we know. It is who we are, and we are afraid of who will we be without it. We fear that nothing can change who we have become, even though God is telling us that we are not meant to be bound by those chains and can be freed by the love of Christ. We lie to ourselves and say we are having too much fun in our sin to change, or else we claim it's no big deal. Either way, we run from God.

As children of God, saved by His grace, let us turn our eyes towards Jesus. This world is Satan's and it is filled with evil. Those living in sin are deceived; their souls are crying out for their Creator while being stifled by the flesh. Do you not hear it? Do you not hear the Holy Spirit within us crying out in response? As children of God, we should always be ready to help by telling others about Jesus' redeeming power.

Then saith He unto His disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few; Pray ye therefore the LORD of the harvest, that He will send forth labourers into His harvest (Matt. 9:37-38).

Thought for Today:

You can be sure of this. Disobeying God always brings trouble.
Christ Revealed:

As the fiery (Amos 1:4,7,10,12,14; 2:2,5; 5:6) judge (chap. 1 – 5). Jesus . . . was ordained of God to be the Judge (Acts 10:38-42; also II Tim. 4:1; Rev. 2:18-23). His eyes were as a flame of fire (Rev. 1:14; also 2:18).
Word Study:

2:13 pressed, burdened; 3:5 gin, trap; 3:14 visit, with punishment; 4:1 kine of Bashan were the fat cows, raised in the best pasturelands; but here, it is used figuratively in referring to self-gratifying, sensual, influential women who encourage their husbands to do wrong; masters, husbands; 4:3 breaches, breaks in the city wall; cast them into the palace, cast them into the mire (dunghill); 4:9 blasting, blight; 5:21 smell, be pleased, take delight; 5:23 viols, harps.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Bob Goodlatte (VA) • Country: Turkey (64 million) in Asia Minor and southeastern Europe • Major languages: Turkish, Kurdish, and Arabic • Official resistance to Christian witnessing • 79% Sunni Muslim; 20% Alawi Shi'ite Muslim; .2% Christian; .04% Jewish (25,000); .09% Armenian Orthodox; .02% Syrian Orthodox; .02% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Ask for understanding of the Word of God as you read each day (Ps. 119:34).
Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 145:14

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Amos 6 – Obadiah 1
Highlights:

Visions (1) Locusts invading (7:1-3); (2) Consumed by Fire (7:4-6); (3) Plumb line (7:7-9); (4) Ripe fruit (8:1-14); (5) Israel destroyed (9:1-10). God's promise kept (9:11-15). God speaks to Edom (Obad. 1:4,15-18, 20-21).
The pride of thine heart hath deceived thee, thou that dwellest in the clefts of the rock, whose habitation is high; that saith in his heart, Who shall bring me down to the ground? (Obad. 1:3).

Sometimes it is easy to overlook the shorter Books of the Bible. Obadiah, with only one chapter, is the shortest Book in the Old Testament. It is considered a book of one of the minor Prophets. However, just because the book is short and "minor" does not mean it should be discredited.

Many times in the study of the Word of God we find that Books containing long drawn out prophecy take extra time and study to understand. If this is the case, how much could Obadiah say in just one chapter? What great lessons could be passed to us from this prophet in such a short span of time?

The answer might surprise you. In this verse alone, there is a very important lesson to be learned. It is a lesson that is taught many times throughout the Word of God. That lesson is the danger of the emotion of pride.

Apparently Edom had experienced some past successes in dealing with their enemies. But, just as many still do, they failed to recognize that it was their Creator God who enabled and brought about the events and conditions that turned out as successes. Obadiah was letting Edom know that they were wrong to take the credit that belonged only to God. He was warning them of their imminent destruction because of their pride and their evil ways.

Just like with many other vices, pride becomes a sinful emotion when we have it in excess. As was stated, the Word of God has much to say on pride. Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall (Prov. 16:18).

In today's verse, Obadiah is speaking of the pride of the nation of Edom. Their national pride was not the same as patriotism. Their pride had become so excessive that they felt there was nothing in the world that could bring them down. They felt that their wisdom and strength was undefeatable. They gave no credit to God, and there was no fear of Him left within them. We need to always have a reverent fear of the Lord. Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling (Phil. 2:12).

As individuals, we can fall into this same trap. We can become so prideful in our careers, family lives, and even our recreational time that we get to a place where we feel that nothing can stop us, regardless of who or what it is. This includes the Lord. This is not a good position to be in. Most people who get there don't realize it until they are brought back down to earth. Our pride blinds us to the truth of whom we have allowed ourselves to become.

We must control our level of pride. We need to follow the example that was set for us by the Lord Jesus. He taught several lessons on humility, and He practiced it in His day to day life. It pays to remember that pride can be a very dangerous sin.

For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world (I John 2:16).

Thought for Today:

God always does what He promises to do. He expects us to do the same.
Christ Revealed:

As the Plumbline (Amos 7:7-8). A plumb line is an instrument used in determining an absolutely straight vertical line. Being perfect, Christ alone is qualified to walk in the midst of His people, measuring and exposing good and bad, true and false (Rev. 2 & 3).
Word Study:

Amos 6:8 excellency of Jacob, pride, arrogance (Jacob means all of Israel, including the palaces of Jerusalem and Samaria); 6:11 with breaches, into ruins; with clefts, into fragments; 6:13 horns by our own strength, pride over their accomplishments, military power (Deut. 33:17; I Kin. 22:11).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: Sponsored in Honor of Debbi Belisle's Birthday • Country: Turkmenistan (4.8 million) southwestern central Asia • Major languages: Turkmen and Russian • Religious freedom • 89% Muslim (largely Sunni); 9% Eastern Orthodox; 2% Unknown/Other (Catholic, Protestant, Baha'i, Jehovah's Witness, Hare Krishna) • Prayer Suggestion: Ask for boldness in telling others about the Lord (Ps. 119:46).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Jonah 1 – 4
Highlights:

Jonah hits rock bottom - God answered (2:2,7). Enemy humbled, prays for mercy (3:6-10). Jonah is angry! Why? God does not destroy them (4:2).
Now the word of the LORD came unto Jonah the son of Amittai, saying, Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and cry against it; for their wickedness is come up before Me. But Jonah rose up to flee unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD, and went down to Joppa; and he found a ship going to Tarshish: so he paid the fare thereof, and went down into it, to go with them unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD (Jonah 1:1-3).

The story of the prophet Jonah is one of the best known and most talked about Scriptures from either the Old or New Testaments of the Bible. It is even told in the legends and fables of societies who have no belief in the one true God. It has been the subject of artwork, songs and children's books.

The Book of Jonah really is a simple tale with an easily understandable message. After all, it doesn't take a biblical scholar to know that when God speaks we should obey. If we don't obey, God will answer our disobedience with a reaction designed to steer us in the right direction.

A brief recount of what happens in the chapters of Jonah's ministry would seem to be fitting. Nineveh was a large and important city in the Assyrian Empire. The Word of God tells us it was also a very wicked city. Even so, God was willing to give Nineveh a chance to repent before destruction came her way. This should remind us of the fact that God always sends mercy before judgment. Blessed be the God and Father of our LORD Jesus Christ, which according to His abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead (I Pet. 1:3).

Jonah was the chosen vessel of God to deliver His message to the city of Nineveh: repent or be destroyed. Jonah chose not to be obedient to God and got on a ship going in the opposite direction of Nineveh. Several commentators have tried to explain Jonah's reasons for not going. Some say the way was treacherous, or that Jonah feared he might lose his life at the hands of the heathen people. Others say Jonah was in the group who believed that the grace of God should be for Israel and no one else. Still others speculate that Jonah felt the people of Nineveh were too wicked and did not deserve forgiveness. Whatever the reason, Jonah disobeyed God. God would have to correct his disobedience to become obedient with the countless souls of Nineveh hanging in the balance. Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness (Rom. 6:16).

God corrected Jonah's thinking with three days in the belly of a great fish. After that experience, Jonah made the journey to Nineveh and shared the message from the Lord. The people of Nineveh heard the Word of God and repented.

Obedience to God and His Word is very important. We never know what plan the Lord may be ready to manifest in our lives. The Lord will use those who are obedient as agents of change. Every decision has a consequence. Make the decision to obey God.

Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men (Acts 5:29).

Thought for Today:

The Bible reveals God's plans and promises only to those who take time to read.
Christ Revealed:

By Jonah's experience in the great fish (Jon. 1:7 – 2:10). Jesus used this historical event as an illustration to tell of His death, burial, and resurrection when the Pharisees demanded a sign from Him (Matt. 12:39-41; also I Cor. 15:3-4).
Word Study:

2:2 hell in O.T. 31 times (from Sheol, used about 65 times), to hide, cover, or the grave. In the N.T. Jesus used hell (from Hades, Gehenna) to explain an after-death place of torments (Matt. 8:29; Luke 16:23,28; Rev. 14:10; 20:10); 2:8 lying vanities, worthless idols, false worship; 3:10 God repented, He was grieved; 4:5 booth, shelter; 4:8 vehement, scorching.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Kevin Jennings • Internet Radio: In Honor of James Crawford • Country: Tuvalu (11,000) nine islands in the southwestern Pacific • Major languages: Tuvaluan and English • Religious freedom • 92% Protestant; 5% Baha'i; 2% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: In times of trouble, pray and seek comfort in the Word of God (Ps. 119:50).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Micah 1 – 7
Highlights:

God's astonishing power and might (1:3-4), worthy of praise and worship (7:7-20). Father sheds tears (1:8). Jesus foreshadowed (2:13; 5:2,4). Persecution (4:11-12). Check out the bottom line (6:8).
Therefore night shall be unto you, that ye shall not have a vision; and it shall be dark unto you, that ye shall not divine; and the sun shall go down over the prophets, and the day shall be dark over them. Then shall the seers be ashamed, and the diviners confounded: yea, they shall all cover their lips; for there is no answer of God. But truly I am full of power by the spirit of the LORD, and of judgment, and of might, to declare unto Jacob his transgression, and to Israel his sin (Jonah 1:1-3).

The history of Israel is clearly outlined in the Bible. For generation after generation, they repeatedly fell prey to being drawn away from the Lord to serve false gods. This did not only happen to the common people, but to their kings, priests and prophets, as well. And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables (II Tim. 4:4).

The sin of idolatry, or worshiping other gods, is in violation of the Law of God. As a matter of fact, it breaks the first two of the Ten Commandments. It is important to remember that disobedience is the original sin and therefore encompasses all sin. I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before Me. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth (Ex. 20:2-4).

The Lord always responded in the same way to the disobedience of the nation of Israel. His actions were always fashioned to produce the same outcome. The Lord would send some sort of correction that would cause them to turn their worship back to Him.

In these verses, the Lord is speaking to the prophets who have no faith in Him. He explains the judgment that is coming to them. Their ability to receive prophecy from the Lord was gone. This was a just punishment that should have moved them to realize how much they needed God. We all have the ultimate need for the Lord in our lives. These prophets needed God because, without Him, they would be powerless people.

It is interesting to note that Micah is given the full range of abilities from the Lord just as the others are stripped of theirs. This demonstrates that Micah was a true prophet of God who followed and worshiped only Him.

We must be careful never to stray from God. We may never understand the loss that comes with betraying the Lord and turning to idolatry. There are many gifts that God has given us to use that are never given to those not following the Lord. When we follow God, we open ourselves up to receive spiritual gifts which enable us to better fulfill His will and plan for our life.

Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy (I Cor. 14:1).

Thought for Today:

When the path ahead looks uncertain, remember God promises to direct us as we trust in Him.
Christ Revealed:

As the Ruler in Israel (Mic. 5:2). Jesus will rule not only Israel but the world. She brought forth a man Child, who was to rule all nations (Rev. 12:5).
Word Study:

1:16 Make thee bald, and poll thee for thy delicate children, Shave your head as a sign of sorrow for your children, who shall be taken from you into exile; 2:5 none that shall cast a cord by lot, no one who shall divide inheritances (because there shall be no inheritance to divide – see vs. 4); 2:7 straitened, limited; do not My words do good to him that walketh uprightly, this speaks of our Creator, the Spirit of the Lord, and His Word, His perfect Guide to life; 2:13 The Breaker refers here to Messiah; 6:9 hear ye the rod, obey the rod, the instrument of the coming judgment of God.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: In Honor of Joshua Belisle's 11th Birthday • Government Officials: Rep. Doris Matsui (CA), Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart (FL), Sec'y. Robert M. Gates (Dept. of Education) • Country: Uganda (23 million) in eastern Africa • Major languages: English and Luganda • Religious freedom • 51% Roman Catholic; 30% Protestant; 10% animist; 7% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Lift up your prayers to God with your whole heart (Ps. 119:58,145).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Nahum 1 – Habakkuk 3
Highlights:

Strong imagery; a sense of suspense, vivid language, a word of hope (Nahum 1– 3). Habakkuk hates sin (Hab. 1:2-4); Challenges God's plan (1:12 – 2:1); Poem of praise (3:1).
The burden of Nineveh, the book of the vision of Nahum the Elkoshite, God is jealous, and the LORD revengeth; and is furious; the LORD will take vengeance on His adversaries, and He reserveth wrath for His enemies. The LORD is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked: the LORD hath His way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds are the dust of His feet (Nahum 1:1-3).

Nahum was called as a prophet to Nineveh just as Jonah was also called. However, Nahum was not instructed to go to Nineveh. Nahum lived and prophesied about 50 years after Nineveh had repented after the preaching of Jonah proclaimed destruction to the city and its inhabitants.

However, the times were drastically different. This time Nineveh did not repent, and there is no mention of the city even being warned of its impending destruction. Its wickedness and promised doom are described with detailed accounts of how the city, built as an island in the river, would be overrun as its gate would be opened to the fierceness of its enemies. Destruction was predicted with great certainty. It is no secret when speaking of the dangers of habitual sin. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death (James 1:15).

Evidently after the great revival in the time of Jonah, Nineveh had returned to its old ways. There are times we see this happen in our own lives and in the lives of those we love. God touches us and delivers us out of a bad place. However, a little while down the road, we are found making the same mistakes again. This is why we need good discipling after we turn our lives to Christ. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen (Matt. 28:19-20).

The Lord says, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the LORD (Rom. 12:19). We live in a world overflowing with lost and troubled souls crying out for what is missing. Their souls are lost without their Creator. We need to allow God to make us into one who shares the Light of the world.

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven (Matt. 5:16).

Thought for Today:

As you seek to do God's will, don't be surprised when opposition arises.
Christ Revealed:

As the One whom even the sea obeys (Nah. 1:4). Jesus rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm (Matt. 8:26).
Word Study:

Nah. 1:12 quiet, strong, safe, secure; 1:14 no more of thy name be sown, nothing of your name will remain; 2:7 tabering, beating; 3:19 bruit, report. Hab. 1:4 the law is slacked, the law is never enforced.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Chris Robison • Government Official: Gov. Janice K. Brewer (AZ) • Country: Ukraine (51 million) east-central Europe • Major languages: Ukrainian and Russian • Religious freedom • 55% Orthodox (various jurisdictions); 15% Catholic (mainly Greek-Catholic); 3.2% Protestant; 1% Jews; .5% Muslim; 25.3% Agnostic/Atheist/Other • Prayer Suggestion: Ask for understanding as you read the Word of God (Ps. 119:73).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Zephaniah 1 – Haggai 2
Highlights:

The Day of the Lord - all nations will worship (2:11; 3:9). Rejoice, God with you (3:14-20). Worship: (1) Ignoring (Hag. 1:9-11); or (2) Obedience (1:12). God's presence, blessing promised (1:13;2:4-5,19).
The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; He will save, He will rejoice over thee with joy; He will rest in His love, He will joy over thee with singing (Zeph. 3:17).

This verse is a true testament to the almighty power of the Lord. Who can look deep into the hearts of man and see their sin? Who can reveal that same sin to man? Then we can ask the most miraculous question of all. Who can erase the sins of man? That is just what God can do if we surrender our will to His will and allow Him to become Lord of our lives.

The Israelites habitually led a sinful lifestyle from the very beginning. They would spend years serving and obeying God, but then they would spend many years following after other gods. This had been a repetitive cycle for many generations. At times it was influenced by the current king or leader; at other times it came as a result of pressure from the people themselves.

It would seem that the Lord should wash His hands of these people and forget them altogether. However, that is not the way God works. His grace and patience are much bigger than any human can understand. God sees in His people the potential of who they can become. He says, He will save...He will joy over thee with singing. Through His love, mercy and grace, God sent Jesus that we might have everlasting life. Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on Him to life everlasting (I Tim. 1:16).

Many times people will try to minimize the power of the grace of God. Have you ever said, or heard someone say, "That person will never get right with God?" That is quite an arrogant statement for us to make. Who are we to decide who will surrender to Jesus and who will not? Christ died for every living soul. His great love is for every person, and His desire is that every single person be saved. But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that He by the grace of God should taste death for every man (Heb. 2:9).

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service (Rom. 12:1).

This is the only way that we truly give the Lord the freedom to work in our lives the way that He wants to. The Lord thy God in the midst of thee is mighty. He has to have absolute surrender from His children. This will enable Him to make us a new creation in Him. This is how we are transformed from a person mired in sin into a person whose greatest desire is to be Christ-like.

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new (II Cor. 5:17).

Thought for Today:

As the fruit of longsuffering grows in us, anger shows up less and less.
Christ Revealed:

As King of Israel, even the Lord (Zeph. 3:15; compare John 1:49).
Word Study:

Zeph. 1:4 Chemarims, idolatrous priests in charge; 1:9 leap on the threshold, rush into houses to confiscate the property by extortion and deceit; 2:15 carelessly, securely, with no equal; Hag. 2:7 the desire of all nations, the One desired by all people, the Messiah, Jesus Christ.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (FL) • Country: United Arab Emirates (2 million) on the eastern Arabian Peninsula • Major languages: Arabic and Farsi • Pressure and hostility against Christians are increasing • 95% Muslim; 4% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Rise early in the morning to lift up your prayers to God and hope in His Word (Ps. 119:147).

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk