Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Ezekiel 25 – 28
Highlights:

Six of Judah's enemies receive promises of destruction from the Lord. Can you name them (25:1,8,12,15; 26:2; 28:2,21)? What did they do against God? Read and learn (25:3,8,12,15; 26:2; 28:24).
Thy riches, and thy fairs, thy merchandise, thy mariners, and thy pilots, thy calkers, and the occupiers of thy merchandise, and all thy men of war, that are in thee, and in all thy company which is in the midst of thee, shall fall into the midst of the seas in the day of thy ruin (Ezek. 27:27).

People put their stock in life in all manner of things. Some trust in their finances. They feel if they make enough money everything will be alright. The old phrase used to be "keeping up with the Joneses." It seems in today's society keeping up is not good enough. People feel they need to surpass everyone else. They need the biggest house, the best car and the finest things. They take extravagant vacations and try to give their children the best things in life.

What will all this get you in the end? What will you really accomplish? What does the Word of God have to say about this kind of life? For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul (Matt. 16:26)?

Still others may build their lives around their accomplishments. They may seek to be the best in their field. To this person, money may mean very little. It is the intense feeling of pride found in doing something that no one else has done that they seek.

This type of personality can be found in any field; it is not limited to athletes or entertainers. A person in just about any career could fall prey to this mindset. An architect could desire to build the tallest skyscraper, or an inventor could seek to create a device that would change the world. A chemist might desire to discover a medical miracle drug.

It could easily be said that these things could leave a mark on the world. But how long will this mark last? Most likely only until a better skyscraper, invention or medicine comes along. These things are all temporary. They are much like our lifetimes here on earth. Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away (James 4:14).

There is a continuing theme throughout the Word of God that tries to convey this message to mankind. If only we would get a grasp on what God wants us to understand down deep in our hearts! He is very clear on how we should prioritize our lives.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to better our lives as long as our aspirations are kept in proper perspective. There is also nothing wrong with wanting to leave a mark on the world as long as our reasoning is not selfish. These things can be part of a productive life for the Lord as long as our actions are done with the full intentions of honoring Him with all that we do.

God should be the primary focus of the life of every individual. All the things in life that come after Him, including family life, career and recreation, should be done in such a way that is not only directed by, but also bringing honor to, the Lord.

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal (Matt. 6:19-20).

Thought for Today:

With every temptation God provides His way of escape.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who will rule over the destruction of Satan at the end of time: Therefore will I bring forth a fire . . . it shall devour thee (Ezek. 28:18-19). As Jesus reigns following the Great White Throne Judgment, the devil . . . was cast into the lake of fire (Rev. 20:1-14).
Word Study:

25:5 couching place, resting place; 26:9 engines of war, battering rams; 26:17 haunt it, dwell there.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Mike Simpson (ID), Sen. Bernard Sanders (VT) • Country: Sweden (8.09 million) in northern Europe • Major language: Swedish • Religious freedom • 90% Evangelical Lutheran; 1.5% Roman Catholic; 1% Pentecostal; 4% Muslim; 3.5% Other (Orthodox, Protestant, Muslim, Jewish, Mormon, Buddhist) • Prayer Suggestion: Give thanks and praise to the Lord (Ps. 92:1).
Optional Reading: Revelation 13

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 145:3

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezekiel 29 – 32
Highlights:

Another enemy and its destiny (29:3,13-15)! How quickly we forget the days of slavery (29:16)! A sad day for Egypt and its allies (30:2-8). Egypt, a prideful and arrogant nation (chap. 31). Look who God uses to bring down the Egyptians (32:11). Read the list of others who received the judgement of God (32:17-31).
But I will strengthen the arms of the king of Babylon, and the arms of Pharaoh shall fall down; and they shall know that I am the LORD, when I shall put My sword into the hand of the king of Babylon, and he shall stretch it out upon the land of Egypt (Ezek. 30:25).

Scriptures such as this one can cause confusion to some believers. Many wonder why God would empower the king of one unbelieving nation to overcome the king of another unbelieving nation. They question why God would have involvement in such matters. Others wonder why God did not just make a move to have both nations overthrown. While it may be hard for us to accept, the answer to this is simple. God does things His way and we are not always meant to understand. For He saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion (Rom. 9:15).

The truth, in situations like these, is that there are normally much bigger things going on than what we are seeing with our mere mortal eyes. God may be moving one nation into a position of power for a reason that lies far in the future. Likewise, the nation that is being defeated is not always being wiped out. Perhaps they are just being placed on the sideline for a time. Let us think about the United States of America for a minute. Why has this nation been so blessed by God? One of the obvious reasons is that it is a place where people can find the freedom to worship God. The church and Christian leaders played a large role in the foundation of this nation. However, there was much more going on than could meet the eye. God helped establish a nation that would one day, over 150 years later, become a great ally to His people, the nation of Israel. The USA has been an ally to Israel since it once again became a nation in 1948.

If we can understand this, then we can at least begin to understand the question that has troubled believers since biblical times. Why do unbelievers often prosper while believers have such a difficult time? The answer, though not always easy to accept, can be found in the Word of God. That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for He maketh His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust (Matt. 5:45).

There are often many things that happen as a result of the workings of the Lord that we don't understand. Life is kind of like a jigsaw puzzle. We put the pieces together daily, but only God has the box lid and knows what the final picture looks like. Most of the time we only see the jumbled mess, but every once in a while we catch a glimpse of the beautiful finished product as it comes together. If we follow God, we will eventually live in that finished product.

For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow His steps (I Pet. 2:21).

Thought for Today:

As you face a difficult problem, remember we can do all things through Christ.
Christ Revealed:

By the Word of the Lord (Ezek. 29:1). In the beginning was the Word (Jesus), and the Word was with God, and the Word was God (John 1:1). God . . . Hath in these last days spoken unto us by His Son (Heb. 1:1-2).
Word Study:

29:7 loins to be at a stand, legs to give way or stagger; 29:18 peeled, rubbed bare; 30:2 Woe worth the day, Mourn the coming day (of terror); 31:3 with a shadowing shroud, overshadowing the forest.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: Sponsored by Rick Lokites • Government Officials: Rep. Buck McKeon (CA), Sen. Christopher Coons (DE) • Country: Switzerland (7 million) in central Europe • Major languages: German and French • Religious freedom • 53% Roman Catholic; 41% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Ask for courage to praise the Lord before unbelievers (Ps. 96:3-5).
Optional Reading: Revelation 14

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezekiel 33 – 36
Highlights:

Responsibility, judgment, accountability (33:8-20)? Who owes who (33:24)? Your task (34:4)? Good Shepherd (34:11-20). Covenant of Peace (34:25-33). Don't slander Israel (chap. 35)! God discipline and hope (36:9,22-30).
Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel, prophesy, and say unto them, Thus saith the LORD GOD unto the shepherds; Woe be to the shepherds of Israel that do feed themselves! should not the shepherds feed the flocks? The diseased have ye not strengthened, neither have ye healed that which was sick, neither have ye bound up that which was broken, neither have ye brought again that which was driven away, neither have ye sought that which was lost; but with force and with cruelty have ye ruled them (Ezek. 34: 2,4).

This Word from the Lord to Ezekiel is similar to an earlier warning that was addressed to the prophets of Israel. However, this time there are some distinct differences. For starters, this particular warning is addressed to the shepherds.

The next difference gives us much material to meditate over. The Lord has given Ezekiel a specific list of all the ways that the shepherds have failed their flocks. The shepherds are given a reproof from God concerning how they ruled without regard to those under their care.

In today's time, we look at our pastors, elders, deacons and other church leaders as holding the office referred to as a shepherd. Some people believe the only responsibility of those in this office is to preach or teach when we gather together for worship. Others would turn these people into a "jack of all trades." They would place on these individuals every responsibility conceivable. These are the people that believe that the pastor's job is to be at their beck and call 24/7.

In today's verse, the Word of God provides an excellent list that should be used anytime a church is searching for a leader. It will definitely sift out those candidates who are looking for a Sunday only job. Those who would commit their lives to the causes in the Scripture are ones who take the charge of Christ seriously. Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow Me (Mark 10:21).

When looking at the list in these verses, we see that there is a lot of care that goes into shepherding the Lord's flock. It is important to remember that this is the Church we are talking about. This is the object of the affection of Christ. The Lord loves the Church deeply. Any person that He calls to attend to its needs had better be seriously up to the task. Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the Church, and gave Himself for it; For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the Church (Eph. 5:25,29).

If the Lord is calling you into leadership of His flock, then you should respond with earnest prayer. When you accept the calling you must know the responsibility it entails. Those of us called to this office have been entrusted with the greatest possession of Christ, the Church. Those of us not called to this office should always do our best to offer prayer and support for those who are.

Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of His goodness, and the work of faith with power (II Thes. 1:11).

Thought for Today:

When you give to God, your investment pays rich dividends.
Christ Revealed:

As the Shepherd (Ezek. 34:23). Jesus said: I am the Good Shepherd, and know My sheep (John 10:14).
Word Study:

34:14 a fat, the best; 34:27 delivered them out of the hand of those that served themselves of them, freed them from slavery; 36:3 an infamy of, slandered, ridiculed by.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: Sponsored by Lt. Col. Walter & Penny Swanson • Government Officials: Rep. Ted Poe (TX), Rep. Cynthia Lummis (WY) • Country: Syria (17 million) in southwestern Asia • Major languages: Arabic and Kurdish • Limited religious freedom for Christians • 90% Muslim; 4% Eastern Orthodox; 2% Roman Catholic; .25% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Exalt the Lord, for He is holy (Ps. 99:9).
Optional Reading: Revelation 15

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezekiel 37 – 39
Highlights:

We're all just a pile of dry, dead bones until we receive God's Spirit (37:11-14). Latter end of Israel greater than beginning (37:24-28). Powerful prophecy to Gog and Magog (chap. 38 & 39). Don't miss verses 38:23 and 39:25.
The hand of the LORD was upon me, and carried me out in the spirit of the LORD, and set me down in the midst of the valley which was full of bones, And caused me to pass by them round about: and, behold, there were very many in the open valley; and, lo, they were very dry. And He said unto me, Son of man, can these bones live? And I answered, O LORD GOD, Thou knowest. Again He said unto me, Prophesy upon these bones, and say unto them, O ye dry bones, hear the word of the LORD. Thus saith the LORD GOD unto these bones; Behold, I will cause breath to enter into you, and ye shall live (Ezek. 37:1-5).

Chapter 37 of the Book of Ezekiel is probably one of the better known accounts in the Old Testament. It is a text of Scripture that is often used in sermons, particularly during revivals and evangelistic campaigns.

This Scripture itself is obviously a scripture of hope. It begins with the question from the Lord, Can these bones live? To which the prophet responds, O LORD GOD, Thou knowest. It continues until the Lord gives the answer, Behold, I will cause breath to enter into you, and ye shall live.

Even if it is being read for the first time, from it's opening line this Scripture conveys the idea that something miraculous is about to happen. The feeling that comes from this chapter is that anything is possible with God. This was not just a case of raising the dead or resurrecting a nation. God was bringing back to life something that had been gone a long time and had been all but forgotten. This message from the Word of God offers hope for any situation. And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible (Mark 10:27). Or saith He it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of His hope (I Cor. 9:10).

The providence of God is at work at all times whether we see it or not. The Bible Pathway system to reading the entire Bible was started forty years ago. The reading plan for each day was established at that time. Only God could have known the events that would transpire 28 years later.

On September 11, 2001, the nation of the United States experienced one of its greatest tragedies. Thousands of people drew their last breath this day as the result of a terrorist attack. Only God would have prepared this message of hope for a hurting people for the exact moment it was needed. The prayers of Bible Pathway remain with the families who lost loved ones at the World Trade Center in New York City, the Pentagon in Washington DC and on United Flight 93 that crashed in a field near Shanksville, Pennsylvania.

God's Word from Ezekiel offers hope to all who have suffered terrible ordeals in life. The days we live in may be dark, but the Lord will offer us comfort in these days. The Lord will help our hurts to heal.

For His anger endureth but a moment; in His favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning (Ps. 30:5).

Thought for Today:

Christ Jesus is coming soon, at noon, or night or anytime. Will you be ready?
Christ Revealed:

As the One who made possible our resurrection from the grave (Ezek. 37:12). The Lord Himself shall descend from heaven with a shout . . . and the dead in Christ shall rise first (I Thess. 4:13-18; also John 11:25; Rev. 1:18).
Word Study:

37:26 place them, settle and bless them; 38:19 shaking, earthquake; 39:6 carelessly, securely, undisturbed; 39:14 sever out, select; with the passengers, with the already-collected dead.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Becca Lucio • Government Officials: Sen. Daniel Akaka (HI), Rep. Tim Murphy (PA) • Country: St. Lucia (154,000) in the eastern Caribbean • Major languages: English and French patois • Religious freedom • 83% Roman Catholic; 13% Protestant; 2% spirit worship • Prayer Suggestion: Recognize the Lord's mercy and loving-kindness and praise Him (Ps. 100:4-5).
Optional Reading: Revelation 16

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezekiel 40 – 42
Highlights:

We're the Temple of God - He dwells in us (I Cor. 3:16); we will be replaced with awesome future Temple. Spectacular and outlined here!
And behold a wall on the outside of the house round about, and in the man's hand a measuring reed of six cubits long by the cubit and an hand breadth: so he measured the breadth of the building, one reed; and the height, one reed (Ezek. 40:5).

The Lord, as He had many times before, carried Ezekiel in a vision to a certain place. Ezekiel saw a man in the vision who told him to record everything that he would see in the vision. Ezekiel was being shown the construction plans for the new Temple of the Lord.

Often times, we read chapters such as this one and ones that will follow it thinking it is just a bunch of measurements. There are many who might even skim over these verses believing they really have nothing to say about our lives today. This is a mistake that could deprive us of instruction and encouragement from the Word of God.

If we read the Word of God prayerfully, we will find that many times the Lord will speak to us through Scriptures that we felt had no life applications. Sometimes we might refer to these "hidden treasures" as golden nuggets of the Word. If the truth is told, none of the Scripture is hidden, though at times the Lord might reveal it in different ways. The entire Bible is a treasure worth more than gold, silver or precious jewels.

An interesting thing that is found here in this Scripture is the fact that the man is equipped with a measuring rod. In the coming verses, he will use this rod to ensure everything is of a proper measurement. He does this in a way similar to what we would do today. We might use a tape measure to ensure the proper length, or a level to make sure things line up properly.

There are many times in the Word of God when something may look purely physical, but it will have spiritual connotations as well. This can be reversed in that the seemingly spiritual can be applied physically too. The Word of God moves broadly in our lives. It affects us in all ways if we will let it. For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Heb. 4:12).

This verse from Hebrews is used often to define the operation of God's Word. Two thoughts that come from this verse are that the Word divides and discerns. It brings to mind the measuring stick from the verse in Ezekiel.

The Word of God is the most valuable tool we will ever have. If studied and applied to our lives, it can fill the place of any measuring device that might be needed to ensure we are following His directions properly. The Lord does the building in our lives if we allow it.

Through reading and studying His Word, we learn what the Lord expects from us day by day. The Bible helps us to "discern" the things He is not pleased with in our lives and to "divide" those things from us. A prayerful reading reveals if we are allowing Him to work properly through us or not.

For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the Word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the Word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe (I Thess. 2:13).

Thought for Today:

The world, Satan and our flesh all are contrary to a godly life.
Christ Revealed:

Through the sacrifice (Ezek. 40:42). Jesus made the final once for all. . . sacrifice for sins for ever (Heb. 10:10-12). Thus He became our only Mediator with God by dying for our sins. The patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these. For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us. . . . And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for Him shall He appear the second time without sin unto salvation (Heb. 9:23-28).
Word Study:

40:17 thirty chambers were upon the pavement, 30 rooms faced this pavement terrace; 40:23 over against, opposite; 41:24 turning leaves, hinged panels; 42:20 profane, unholy, common.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: Sponsored by Rev. Gladys V. Davis • Government Officials: Gov. Sam Brownback (KS), Rep. Henry Waxman (CA), Rep. Ben Chandler III (KY), Sen. Scott Brown (MA) • Country: St. Vincent and The Grenadines (120,000) in the Lesser Antilles of the eastern Caribbean • Major languages: English and French patois • Religious freedom • 50% Protestant; 17% Roman Catholic; 2% spiritist • Prayer Suggestion: Seek the Lord when you are oppressed (Ps. 102:8-13).
Optional Reading: Revelation 17

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezekiel 43 – 45
Highlights:

God's back (43:5)! Offerings on Holy Altar (43:13-27). Pay attention to God's rules (chap 44). Required to support His work and followers (chap 45). Keep the Passover commemorating Christ's death on the cross (45:21-24).
Then said the LORD unto me; This gate shall be shut, it shall not be opened, and no man shall enter in by it; because the LORD, the God of Israel, hath entered in by it, therefore it shall be shut (Ezek. 44:2).

This verse, just like so many others in the Word of God, has a spiritual application for our life even though it is speaking of a particular happening. The revelation here is a simple one. It is affirming the fact that God is in full control of every situation that can arise. There is nothing that has happened, is happening or will happen that is outside His realm of control.

This is not always the easiest thing to accept in the course of our daily lives. Bad things have a way of happening. We ask ourselves, if God has His hand in every situation then how did we get to such a hard place in life? How could God allow our lives to get so out of control?

This is not always the easiest question to answer. It is difficult to comprehend that, even though God is in control of all things, bad things are allowed to happen at times. We don't always understand the reasoning behind these happenings.

One of the main reasons that bad things happen in this world is sin. The world is now filled with much sickness, heartache, war, famine and death. It is the evil that is sin that causes these things to happen. Our enemy the devil entices mankind to perform the works of the flesh that bring about terrible situations. Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God (Gal. 5:19-21).

If it is sin that causes bad things to transpire, why do the innocent suffer along with the guilty? This is perhaps the most difficult of all things to understand. The problem is that the curse of original sin has been passed down upon us all from Adam, and it will be upon us until the world comes to an end. Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned (Rom. 5:12).

This would make it seem that God is not in full control. Does the law of sin supersede God? No! God has superseded the law of sin with something very special called grace. God loved us enough that He chose to make a way that mankind could escape the death penalty that is hell's eternal prison. Jesus came to this planet and paid man's sin debt. All we have to do is accept the gift from God of eternal life. Through Jesus, this gift makes us free and clear of anything owed to this world or to our enemy the devil. Have you already received this precious gift of God?

God is in full control. If He opens it, it can't be shut. If He shuts it, it will never be opened. The Word of God was, is and always will be the final authority on all things.

For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of One shall many be made righteous (Rom. 5:19).

Thought for Today:

The narrow way to life is difficult, but success comes as we keep looking unto Jesus.
Christ Revealed:

As the glory of the LORD (Ezek. 43:4). Jesus is the brightness of His glory (the glory of God), and the express image of His Person (Heb. 1:3).
Word Study:

43:4 whose prospect is, which faces; 43:12 whole limit, whole border, territory; 43:13 higher place of, height of; 43:14 settle, ledge on which the priests stood; 43:17 squares, sides; 44:18 bonnets, turbans, headdresses; 44:22 put away, divorced; 45:24 meat, grain/cereal/meal.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Bible Pathway Printer: Ambrose Printing Staff, Nashville, TN • Government Officials Rep. Peter Roskam (IL), Rep. Cedric Richmond (LA) • Country: Taiwan, Republic of China (22 million) 77 islands off the southeastern coast of Red China • Major language: Mandarin Chinese • Religious freedom • 80% "Chinese Religions" (Buddhist/Taoist/ Confucian); 4% Christianity; .2% Muslim; 14% Atheist; 1.8% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Bless the Lord for your redemption (Ps. 103:4).
Optional Reading: Revelation 18

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezekiel 46 – 48
Highlights:

Our Savior Christ Jesus (1) The Prince (chap. 46); of Peace (Is. 9:16); (2) The River of Healing (chap 47; Mt. 4:24; 8:16; 12:15; Lk. 4:40, 6:19, 8:47); (3) The Land (chap. 48); The Temple (48:8); (4) The LORD is there (48:35).
And when the man that had the line in his hand went forth eastward, he measured a thousand cubits, and he brought me through the waters; the waters were to the ankles. Again he measured a thousand, and brought me through the waters; the waters were to the knees. Again he measured a thousand, and brought me through; the waters were to the loins. Afterward he measured a thousand; and it was a river that I could not pass over: for the waters were risen, waters to swim in, a river that could not be passed over (Ezek. 47:3-5).

Jesus offers us rivers of living water through salvation and redemption of our sins. Oh how merciful is our God to grant us such abundant gifts! Yet, He does not save our souls from the fiery pit and leave it at that. This is only the beginning of what He has for His children. There is so much more to life in Christ Jesus that many do not pursue.

How deep are you willing to go into the depths of living water that Christ has for you? Will you go knee deep? Will you go waist deep? Or will you jump in, as Ezekiel and Peter did, and discover the depths of faith? And He said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus (Matt. 14:29).

Yes, it is true that Peter faltered on the way. However, two important things are often overlooked. First, Peter was the only one who got out of the boat. Second, when he began to sink, he called on Jesus. It takes faith and trust to go deep with Christ.

Will you go to Jesus with no reservations? Will you trust Him with your fears? With your life? His plan for you is so much more than you can imagine; it is so much more than you can do on your own.

Satan has a firm grasp on so many on this earth. However, by the name of Jesus, for the willing that take hold of Christ, those chains will be broken. Many a lost soul has heard the voice of Jesus calling out salvation to them through a child of God on fire, swimming in the deep waters for his or her Savior. The Holy Spirit that lives within the believer cries out Abba Father in desperation for the lost souls in this world. The Spirit that cries out within each believer will speak through us to lead that lost soul to salvation in Christ Jesus. And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father (Gal. 4:6).

We read in the Book of Acts that the disciples and many other believers experienced the vast depths of the living water, just as Ezekiel did. At Pentecost, the Holy Spirit came upon them like "tongues of fire" (see Acts 2:3). Like Ezekiel, these disciples began swimming in the deep waters. They lived and breathed devotion to their Savior Jesus. They yearned, with all that was within them, for more of their Lord. They prophesied salvation to the lost. Jesus had made more than an impact on their lives, He now lived within them and emanated through them by the power of the Holy Spirit. As believers, we pray that all will allow Jesus to lead them into the deep waters, just like Ezekiel and Peter did.

But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto Me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth (Acts 1:8).

Thought for Today:

Keep planting good seed. In due time we will reap if we don't give up.
Christ Revealed:

Through the river of living waters and one of the Names of God, Jehovah (Yahweh)-Shammah, meaning: The LORD is there (Ezek. 47:1-12; 48:35; also Rev. 21–22).
Word Study:

46:7 as his hand shall attain unto, as much as he can afford; 46:24 places of them that boil , where the Temple servants are to boil the sacrifice; 47:2 utter gate, outer gate.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Country: Tajikistan (6 million) southeast central Asia • Major languages: Tajik and Russian • Almost entirely Muslim • 82% Muslim; 4% Russian Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Praise the Lord for His goodness and mercy (Ps. 106:1).
Optional Reading: Revelation 19

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Daniel 1 – 3
Highlights:

Daniel as a teenage captive (1:1-3); Godly influence - will not defile himself (1:8-16); Wisdom from God (2:19-24); Friends share his faith (3:12-19).
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, answered and said to the king, O Nebuchadnezzar, we are not careful to answer thee in this matter. If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and He will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up (Dan. 3:16-18).

The nation of Israel had been conquered by Babylon. Many of the people of Israel had been taken captive and transported to Babylon to serve in various capacities. This number included many young men who were believed to possess qualities that could prove useful. These qualities ranged from mental strength and wisdom to superior occupational skills.

Four of these young men play a pivotal role in the Book of Daniel. One of these, of course, is Daniel, who was renamed Belteshazzar. The Babylonians also gave new names to his three friends. Hananiah had his named changed to Shadrach. The name of Mishael was changed to Meshach. Azariah was renamed Abednego.

Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, like Daniel, had remained faithful to the Lord even in the face of many challenges, including pressure to conform to the ungodly ways of the Babylonians. This, of course, would have involved worshipping idols in the form of graven images. They knew this was forbidden by the Word of God. Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled (I Cor. 8:7).

The king of Babylon, who was named Nebuchadnezzar, had a statue built as a tribute to himself. He made a decree that went out throughout the kingdom that all should bow before the image of the king. Most in the kingdom obediently worshiped before the statue.

Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego refused to bow before the statue. They would not sin against God by committing this act of idolatry. There must have been great pressure to simply follow the crowd and bow, but these brave young Hebrews would not defile themselves. Only let your conversation be as it becometh the Gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the Gospel (Phil. 1:27).

They knew they would be facing a death sentence. Reading the words of these young men in the face of death should encourage us to push forward for the cause of Christ. When the words were spoken, If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, they knew God would deliver them whether it would be in life or death.

The world has no hold on the believer who has their faith placed in Christ. He holds our lives, not man.

For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. For whether we live, we live unto the LORD; and whether we die, we die unto the LORD: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the LORD's. For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that He might be LORD both of the dead and living (Rom. 14:7-9).

Thought for Today:

Although life sometimes is bitter, earth's trials will seem small when we see Jesus.
Christ Revealed:

As The Stone that smote the image (Dan. 2:35). The Stone is Jesus Christ (Acts 4:11; Eph. 2:20; I Pet. 2:4-8).
Word Study:

1:4 Children in whom was no blemish, Young men who were strong and healthy; 2:1 his sleep brake from him, he was unable to sleep; 2:31 great image . . . was terrible, dreadful, awesome, frightening; 3:19 the form of his visage, his facial expression; 3:21 hosen, other garments.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Sen. Mark Kirk (IL), Rep. Joe Barton (TX)• Country: Tanzania (31.3 million) in eastern Africa • Major languages: Swahili and English • Churches are expected to help implement Marxist policy • 45% Christian; 19% Muslim; .4% Baha'i; .1% Hindu; 35.5% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Pray and praise God with a spirit of thankfulness for His goodness (Ps. 107:1,21).
Optional Reading: Revelation 20

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 145:10

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Daniel 4 – 6 
Highlights:

Daniel interprets: (1) The tree (4:25). (2) Writing on the wall (5:23-24). (3) Daniel trusts, and honored (6:10,22,28).
And when he came to the den, he cried with a lamentable voice unto Daniel: and the king spake and said to Daniel, O Daniel, servant of the living God, is thy God, whom thou servest continually, able to deliver thee from the lions? Then said Daniel unto the king, O king, live for ever. My God hath sent His angel, and hath shut the lions' mouths, that they have not hurt me: forasmuch as before Him innocency was found in me; and also before thee, O king, have I done no hurt (Dan. 6:20-22).

Due to the wisdom that God had blessed him with, Daniel had found favor in the eyes of the rulers of Babylon. Through his godly discernment, he had been able to interpret the dreams of Nebuchadnezzar, and this had earned him a prominent place in the kingdom.

When the Medo-Persians conquered Babylon, the gift in Daniel was recognized by their rulers. Daniel continued to have an important role, even in this new government. It came to a point that Daniel's authority in the kingdom was second only to the ruler Darius. The Lord had worked greatly in Daniel; it was God who ensured he be in this position just as God had placed Joseph in Egypt. And delivered him out of all his afflictions, and gave him favour and wisdom in the sight of Pharaoh king of Egypt; and he made him governor over Egypt and all his house (Acts 7:10).

All the other rulers were jealous of Daniel's office and power in their government. These other rulers desired to find a way to bring Daniel down from his position. They knew this would not be an easy task, as Daniel was a man of great integrity and honesty. They would not be able to catch him in an act of wrongdoing concerning an abuse of power or any other malefaction such as this.

They figured out that the only way they were going to cause Daniel to falter would be because of his service to God. This was the priority of Daniel's life. Therefore, they knew that if something in the Law of Daniel's God were a violation of the law of the Medes and Persians that Daniel would break the law of the land to follow the Law of God. I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before Me (Ex. 20:2-3).

The other rulers tricked the king into passing a law stating that no person could ask anything of any god other than the king. Daniel continued to pray to his God, leaving Darius with no choice but to punish Daniel. The penalty was death in the lion's den. Most of us know the outcome of this punishment.

Daniel came out of the den of lions unharmed. He gave all the glory to God for delivering him out of this perilous situation. As a result, there were probably many of the Medes and Persians who came to a realization that Daniel's God was the only true, living God. Daniel's enemies were executed, and Daniel's place in the government became more secure than ever. Darius made a decree recognizing God.

The lesson to be learned here is simple. If we, as God's people, will do as God commands, then external circumstances will be handled by the Lord. We can trust God to care for us.

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose (Rom. 8:28).

Thought for Today:

Praising and thanking God gives Him glory and brings joy to our hearts.
Christ Revealed:

By Daniel – a stone was rolled across the mouth of the den of lions and set with the king's seal (Dan. 6:16-17). There was a stone rolled across the mouth of the cave where Jesus was buried and it too was set with an official seal (Matt. 27:63-66). As Daniel came forth unscathed, proclaiming the power of God to save, so, too, Jesus came forth from the dead proclaiming the saving power of God (Rev. 1:18).
Word Study:

4:11 the sight thereof to, its visibility extended to; 4:16 & 32 seven times, seven years; 5:5 against the candlestick, opposite the lampstand; 5:12 shewing of hard sentences, rare ability of revealing the meaning of baffling riddles.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Cheryl Walker • Government Officials: Rep. David Rivera (FL), Rep. Dale Kildee (MI) • Country: Thailand (60 million) in Southeast Asia • Major languages: Thai and English • Limited freedom of Christian ministry; Buddhism is the state religion • 92% Buddhist; 4% Muslim; 2% Chinese folk-religionist; 1% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Pray for your adversaries (Ps. 109:4).
Optional Reading: Revelation 21

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Daniel 7 – 9
Highlights:

Daniel sees future (7:1-14)! Vision explained (7:15-28). Sees end of time (8:1-14). Vision explained (8:19-27). Daniel confesses and pleads (9:4,16,20).
O my God, incline Thine ear, and hear; open Thine eyes, and behold our desolations, and the city which is called by Thy name: for we do not present our supplications before Thee for our righteousnesses, but for Thy great mercies. O LORD, hear; O LORD, forgive; O LORD, hearken and do; defer not, for Thine Own sake, O my God: for Thy city and Thy people are called by Thy name (Dan. 9:18-19).

Here we find Daniel praying a very eloquent and beautiful prayer on behalf of Israel. Israel had experienced many trials and tribulations. This is not to say that the people of Israel had not brought most of these on themselves. We have already discussed, several times, the course of spiritual idolatry that Israel had followed.

At times, the people of Israel would follow the Lord. They would obey the laws and precepts of God. The Lord's blessings would be upon His people in honor of their obedience to Him. Thus we see the importance of obedience to God, which is conveyed in the Word of God time and time again. Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness (Rom. 6:16)?

There were times also when Israel would turn her back on God, turning instead to false gods. Many times these would be the false gods of the heathen nations that bordered Israel. The Word of God is clear as to how God views this sinful practice of following false gods and about His opinions of those who push the message of them. But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the LORD that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction (II Pet. 2:1).

Israel had experienced days such as these right before she was conquered by Babylon and taken into captivity. Since that time, even her captors had been defeated by the Medes and Persians. Israel was truly in a bad spot with most of her brightest sons serving this foreign power.

We know how Israel got into this situation, but how does she get out? How does anyone get out of such an overwhelming situation? That answer should come easily. The obvious answer is the Lord.

If, like Israel, we bring ourselves to terrible times in life by getting off the path God has us on, the way of escape should seem obvious. We must pray as Daniel prayed.

Daniel prayed a prayer of repentance. He acknowledged that the ways of the Lord were not followed. He praised the Lord for who He is and what He had done. He begged God to hear the prayer that he prayed. He did his best to remind God that these were His chosen people. He asked the Lord to give them the mercy that they so desperately needed.

The Lord hears the prayers of His people. If repentance is sincere, deliverance will come in one fashion or another.

If My people, which are called by My name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land (II Chr. 7:14).

Thought for Today:

Does your life testify: This world is not my home, I'm just passing through?
Christ Revealed:

As the Son of Man (Dan. 7:13-14). The Truth of this vision was confirmed by our Lord as He spoke of His promised return. They shall see the Son of Man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory (Matt. 24:30).
Word Study:

7:25 wear out, to persecute with purpose of entire annihilation; 7:28 cogitations much troubled, thoughts much bewildered; 8:7 choler, brutal rage; 8:24 wonderfully, with astonishing success; 9:7 confusion of faces, look of shame; 9:25 wall, moat; 9:26 cut off, put to death.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Rita Guerra • Government Official: Sen. Chuck Grassley (IA) • Country: Tibet (province of China) (4.6 million, from 1990 census) in eastern Asia • Major language: Tibetan • The Chinese government is still committed to promoting atheism, while at the same time, officially permitting Lamaism (a form of Buddhism) • 97% Tibetan Buddhist; 1% Muslim; 1% Bon; 1% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Do not be fearful or live in dread of what might happen; trust the Lord to take care of you (Ps. 112:7).
Optional Reading: Revelation 22

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk