Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Isaiah 58 – 63
Highlights:

Does God approve of how we fast (58:6-7)? Truth: Sinful nature separates us from God (59:2-15); Solution: A Redeemer (59:16-21); Chap. 59 could describe our nation today;The Light of the World (chap. 60); Jesus fulfilled chap. 61 (see Luke 4:16-29); God's love, mercy, pardon, and deliverance outlined in chap. 62 & 63.
And the LORD shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not (Isa. 58:11).

We find the concept here of the Lord being a guide. Let us look at the definition of what a guide is. The dictionary defines a guide as a person who leads a traveler to a destination and explains everything along the way. The guide will normally accompany the person traveling to the end of the trip.

This explanation makes complete sense when speaking of thoughts expressed in the Word of God. The Bible tells us that we are strangers and pilgrims in this land; it is not our home. The Lord guides us in every path, leading us until we reach our destiny. These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth (Heb. 11:13).

In looking at this Scripture, there are questions that we can ask regarding it. The first question is, who does the Lord guide? While there is an easy answer to this, still yet there is a deeper explanation that can accompany it.

Of course, the Lord guides the believer. He guides those who have surrendered their lives to Him and have obtained forgiveness for their sins. He is the guide of those who are truly following Him. If any man serve Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there shall also My servant be: if any man serve Me, him will My Father honour (John 12:26).

It is clear then as to whom the Lord is guiding. He is guiding those that follow Him as Lord and Savior. There is also a second question that needs to be answered. To what is the Lord guiding His followers?

There are many men who have claimed godliness. They have had many followers. Some of these men were false prophets who have taken their followers on terrible journeys with even worse endings.

However, we know the Lord only has our best interest at heart. He desires for us to live a fruitful life in His kingdom on earth. He must be trusted to lead us in the right direction. If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask Him (Matt. 7:11)?

As individuals, our journeys with Christ may take different roads. Some may stay in their hometowns their whole lives, working for the Lord there. Others may go all around the world for Jesus, being used in various ways. Our ultimate destination will be the same. Heaven awaits every true believer.

Not every one that saith unto Me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of My Father which is in heaven (Matt. 7:21).

Thought for Today:

Fasting and prayer with a submissive heart is honored by God.
Christ Revealed:

As the One anointed to preach Good Tidings (Is. 61:1). Jesus read this passage to the rulers of the synagogue (Luke 4:16-22) but stopped without completing the second verse (Is. 61:2), thus showing that He fulfilled the first part. But, the second part, the Day of Judgment, was yet to be fulfilled.
Word Studies:

60:5 see, and flow together, become enlightened, and shine forth the Light of God; fear, be in awe (be amazed at what God is doing), and then when that has registered, comes the joy; 61:3 appoint, impart comfort; 62:4 Hephzibah, My delight is in her; Beulah, married; 63:15 the sounding of thy bowels, the yearning affection of your heart.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Pam Murton • Internet Radio: Sponsored by Lt. Col. Walter & Penny Swanson • Government Official: Rep. Connie Mack (FL) • Country: Portugal (10 million) in western Europe • Major language: Portuguese • Limited religious freedom • 95% Christian; 5% non-Religious/Other; .5% Muslim; .1% Hindu; .01% Jewish • Prayer Suggestion: Ask for forgiveness for particular sins (Ps. 51:1-9).
Optional Reading: I Peter 2

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 90:1-2
:angel:

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Isaiah 64 – 66
Highlights:

In these final chapters are prayers and pleas for mercy and pardon (63:15-19) from a silent God (64:12). Those pleading confess their sin and praise His deeds (63:7-14; 64:4-7). God replies (65:2-7). He will spare His true servants, a remnant (65:8-10). The rebirth of His nation (66:7-9); Conclusion (66:2-3) and promise (66:22).
But now, O LORD, Thou art our Father; we are the clay, and Thou our Potter; and we all are the work of Thy hand (Isa. 64:8).

This verse and others like it are used often by preachers and teachers. Many love to use the thought of God being the Potter and we, His creation, being the clay. They love to speak on how God can give us a fresh start in life as He remolds us into a new vessel. The old vessel with its flaws and imperfections is cast into something new and better.

There is nothing wrong with this line of thought. It is a fine message that often draws people into a closer walk with Jesus Christ. The old becoming new is a very popular theme in the Word of God. No man putteth a piece of new cloth unto an old garment, for that which is put in to fill it up taketh from the garment, and the rent is made worse. Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved (Matt. 9:16-17).

At this time though, let us look at another part of this verse. There are times when part of something becomes so popular that other parts are sometimes overlooked or even forgotten. The part of the verse that we wish to examine is Thou art our Father.

No one knows our fundamental human needs better than God; He knows our needs for things like hope, love and peace. How can we better trust in God to meet those needs? The first step is to acknowledge the fact that God is our heavenly Father.

Notice, God identifies Himself as a Father to us. That should say a lot to us as to how He feels. This is how He chose to characterize His relationship to us. It's not just a descriptive term used by preachers or theologians. God chose Fatherhood from all possible human relationships. There was something significant that God wanted to communicate by His choice of this title.

The thing that God was trying to communicate was that He wanted our dependence to be on Him. He desired to show that there is no one who loves us more, or in whom we should place more trust, than Him. God is the perfect example of what a father should be.

Earthly fathers have the perfect model to follow. They have the Word of God revealing God's character to mankind. This should serve as a manual on how to interact with their children. Everything a person needs to know about fatherhood is right there in the Bible. You need to learn how to teach the difference between right and wrong. The Word of God can help. If you need help regarding discipline, the Bible has lots to say on the subject. Many fathers do not use God as a role model, and their children suffer because of it. God is the only Father they know.

God is our heavenly Father. He should receive the greatest of praise for taking on this role in our lives.

But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship Him (John 4:23).

Thought for Today:

The Lord delights in those who delight in Him.
Christ Revealed:

As the Creator of new heavens and a new earth (Is. 65:17; 66:22; comp. John 1:1-3; II Pet. 3:13). As the One whose glory will be declared among the nations (Is. 66:18-19; Rev. 5:12-13).
Word Studies:

64:3 terrible, awesome, revered greatly, greatly to be feared; 64:11 are laid waste, have been destroyed; 65:14 howl for vexation of spirit, cry out in misery; 66:6 voice, sound.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Karen Hawkins • Internet Radio: Sponsored by Mrs. Carol Parrott • Government Official: Rep. Pete J Visclosky (IN) • Country: Qatar (600,000) in southwestern Asia • Major languages: Arabic and English • Muslim conversion to Christ is forbidden, but expatriate Christians are allowed to meet informally • 79.5% Muslim; 10.5% Christian; 7.2% Hindu; 1.8% Buddhist; .9% non-Religious/Other • Prayer Suggestion: Thank God for His mercy to cleanse from all sins (Ps. 51:2).
Optional Reading: I Peter 3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Jeremiah 1 – 3
Highlights:

God knew Jeremiah "inside" his mother's womb (1:4)! Is the Word of God in your mouth (1:9)? Blessings and deliverance (2:1-7); Forsaking God (2:13); Worshipping false gods (2:10-12, 26-28); Unconcern over Israel's backsliding (3:6-10); Judah warned (3:15-17, National restoration and blessing (3:16-18); God speaks (3:22).
Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations (Jer. 1:5).

These were terrible days for the nation of Judah. Jeremiah lived in a time when Judah was ruled by many wicked kings. The nation had experienced much turmoil.

Many mighty nations were trying to take control and overthrow her. There had been much evil within Judah, including the worship of idols, social injustice, and a political system which had become very corrupt and rarely relied on God. This turn away from the Lord to other gods was a mistake that had been made time and again by both the nations of Israel and Judah. Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry: For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience (Col. 3:5-6).

During this time, Jeremiah was a prophet called of God to speak to the nation of Judah. This had to feel like an overwhelming task to him.

The Word of God proclaims him to have been a prophet unto the nations. During times such as those, Jeremiah needed all the backing a person could get. There is no greater support he could have received than the Word of God, which clearly tells of his call to be a prophet. God reveals that Jeremiah had been chosen for this office even before he was born. God appointed and guided him, shaping his entire life to prepare him for his ministry of being a prophet to Judah. What greater call is there in life than the call to serve God in the ministry?

A person could be selected to play on a professional sports team, or they could receive an appointment to serve on some important board or committee. They might even be elected to political office. All of these are nothing in comparison to the call of God. And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou Me? it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks (Acts 26:14). This supernatural call changed the life of Paul forever. He was transformed from one who hunted Christians, to one who led many to Christ.

What about the call that God has placed on our lives? How will we answer it? Will we respond as Isaiah and Jeremiah, the great prophets of old, responded? They answered the call even knowing it would not be an easy mission to fulfill. Or will we do like so many others today and resist the call of God?

The Bible is given to us to guide us in our walk for Christ. When God called those in the Word to go, the customary response was, "Where do I go, Lord?"

And Jesus said unto them, Come ye after Me, and I will make you to become fishers of men (Mark 1:17).

Thought for Today:

Before his birth God sanctified Jeremiah as a person.
Christ Revealed:

As the Fountain of Living Waters (Jer.2:13). Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto Me, and drink (John 7:37-38; also 4:1-26).
Word Studies:

2:3 offend, be held guilty; 2:14 spoiled, laid waste, plundered; 2:18 Sihor, the Nile River; the river, the Euphrates; 2:31 lords, independent; 2:33 trimmest . . . thy way to seek love, do good (as a show to impress) to get love; 3:2 been lien with, acted like a prostitute; 3:9 lightness, shameless behavior; 3:10 feignedly, deceptively.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Clarence Rathbone • Government Official: Rep. Louise M. Slaughter (NY) • Country: Romania (22.5 million) in southeastern Europe • Major languages: Rumanian and Hungarian • Freedom of worship • 69.5% Romanian Orthodox Church; 14% non-Religious/Other; 8% Protestant; 7% Catholic; 1% Muslim; .1% Jewish; .4% Marginal • Prayer Suggestion: Thank God for guiding you to sacrifice freely for what pleases Him (Ps. 54:6).
Optional Reading: I Peter 4

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Jeremiah 4 – 6
Highlights:

God clearly warns Judah of impending destruction unless hearts and minds are cleansed (4:3). The prophet weeps (4:19-22) over visions of coming disaster (4:23-31). One honest man will save the city (5:1); but none is found. Why (5:19-25)? A last warning (6:1-9); Israel's constant rebellion and rejection brings doom (6:10-30).
They are waxen fat, they shine: yea, they overpass the deeds of the wicked: they judge not the cause, the cause of the fatherless, yet they prosper; and the right of the needy do they not judge (Jer. 5:28).

During the time of his ministry, Jeremiah was surrounded by people who looked fine on the outside, yet on the inside their hearts were on a downhill slide to wickedness. We see this so much in our world today, even in the church.

Outward appearance is highly valued in today's society. When a stranger comes into our church wearing a three piece suit or an expensive dress, we welcome them with open arms. We will seat them in a place of respect where they will be noticed.

On the other hand, if a person walks in off the streets in shabby clothes they are treated quite differently. What happens if a person of a different race or nationality comes to the church? How many people will move to welcome them or place them in a position of honor?

This is not going to hold true in all places of worship, but we will find this elitist attitude more often than not. This is disturbing, especially since it should never be found in the Lord's house. Many have turned God's house into a social club. And He taught, saying unto them, Is it not written, My house shall be called of all nations the house of prayer? but ye have made it a den of thieves (Mark 11:17).

God gave Jeremiah this message to deliver in order to point out their awful state and to offer them a chance to repent and return to Him. The leaders and priests were proclaiming and preaching lies, and the unfortunate fact was that the people saw nothing wrong with this type of behavior; they actually condoned it. They were giving great support to the ungodly attitudes and practices of these men. This happens often in life when people of like thoughts, either right or wrong, are drawn together.

When this type of prejudicial behavior is exhibited, it is the less fortunate, such as widows and orphans, who live their lives in misery. No one seems to care one way or the other. They are either ignored or else they are exploited in some way to benefit the upper class. The Lord however, commands different actions than these towards the less fortunate in life. Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world (James 1:27).

We would do well to remember that one day God will right all the wrongs in the world. We should never be deceived into thinking He is not aware of all that goes on. Although at times the world may seem as if it is ruled by the devil and by those that are evil, it only looks that way. We as believers need to be advocates of justice. We need to show the world that we know God is the ultimate judge.

Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting (Galatians 6:7-8).

Thought for Today:

God's fury will burn like fire as He judges unrepentant sinners.
Christ Revealed:

By Jeremiah, whom God commissioned to reveal His Truth (Jer. 4:2). Jesus shall one day judge all mankind with His Truth (Ps. 96:13; John 5:22). Jesus said: To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the Truth. Every one that is of the Truth heareth My voice (John 18:37).
Word Studies:

4:6 retire, stay not, go in haste to take refuge, don't delay; 4:22 sottish, devoid of spiritual understanding; 5:10 battlements, branches; 5:13 wind, full of words, but speaking nothing from God; 5:30 wonderful, monstrous, shocking; 6:30 reprobate silver, rejected, despised, trash.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Rita Guerra • Government Officials: Rep. Maxine Waters (CA), Rep. Judy Biggert (IL), Rep. Tom Marino (PA), Jusitce Stephen G. Breyer (US Supreme Court) • Country: Russia (146.5 million) northeastern Europe and northern Asia • Major language: Russian • Religious freedom • 55% Russian Orthodox; 9% Muslim; 1% Protestant (Baptist, Pentecostal); .8% Shamanist/Animist; .6% Buddhist; .5% Roman Catholic; .5% New Religions (e.g.,) • Prayer Suggestion: Call upon the Lord and He will save you (Ps. 55:16).
Optional Reading: I Peter 5

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Jeremiah 7 – 10
Highlights:

Judah, don't be fooled but Hear the Word of the Lord (7:4-5; 9:24). The consequences of disobedient children are about to bring complete disaster. If God's true prophet is brought to tears (8:18-22), what do you think it does to the Father's heart? God forgive us our disobedience and help us stay faithful to your will!
But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey My voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be My people: and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you (Jer. 7:23).

Many people in this world think that happiness is found by satisfying their own desires. They act on the impulses of the moment. If they feel they need or want it, they do whatever they can to get it. Even though they do all this, they remain unfulfilled.

There are many people who spend much of their lives striving for more money. They work countless hours just to spend the money on things to gain a greater status in their community. They continuously try to up the ante. They feel they must have the nicest house, car, etc., in order to be happy.

They leave a job they are happy with in hopes of finding a better job. They constantly seek a promotion, even if it means taking a position they will hate. All this is done in hopes of a better, happier life.

They fail to realize that the Lord is the giver of success. God is the one who gave us directions in how to find happiness in life. The secret to this can be found in the Scriptures.

In this Scripture from Jeremiah, we find the key is obedience to God. In obeying God, we draw closer to Him. In drawing closer to Him, we begin to live more like He desires us to live. When we live a Christ-like lifestyle, the blessings of God will follow. Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season? Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing (Matt. 24:45-46).

Obedience is so often misunderstood. Many feel that obedience to something or someone is a sign of weakness. This is not the case. As a matter of fact, obedience could be viewed as a great strength.

The Lord is not some wicked master who gives His servants a multitude of hard duties to undertake. That is not the type of obedience which God asks of us. On the contrary, obedience to God means surrendering our will to the Will of God. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure (Phil. 2:13).

In doing so, each day we may cheerfully journey down the road in which the providence of God leads us. We no longer need to seek fulfillment in things that will never provide it. We need not become discouraged when things don't go the way we think they should. We have this freedom because we no longer are bound to our will or forced to find our own way. We trust in the will and power of God.

The more we trust in God's will for our lives, the more our lives will go in the direction that God intends. Only in walking in His ways will we live life to the fullest.

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly (John 10:10).

Thought for Today:

We may deceive others, but we can never deceive God.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who demanded a cleansed Temple (Jer. 7:1-11). Jesus cleansed the Temple and said: My House shall be called of all nations the House of Prayer (Mark 11:17).
Word Studies:

7:15 the whole seed of Ephraim, all the people of the Northern Kingdom; 7:33 fray, frighten; 9:7 melt them, and try them, refine them by testing with affliction; 10:22 noise of the bruit, sound of a rumor.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Rick A Berg (ND) and Rep. Earl Blumenauer (OR) • Country: Rwanda (7 million) in central Africa • Major languages: Kinyarwanda and French • Religious freedom • 80% Christian; 10.5% Muslim; 4.5% non-Religious/Other; 4% Traditional ethnic; .2% Baha'i • Prayer Suggestion: Pray at all times (Ps. 55:17).
Optional Reading: II Peter 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Jeremiah 11 – 14
Highlights:

Judah breaks a pledge (covenant) not just a promise (11:1-17). We should be men and women of integrity. Jeremiah's message was the most unwelcome ever delivered to a people. They plot to kill him, but the Lord is his defense (11:18-23). What is the significance of the marred belt (chap. 13)? A solemn warning (chap. 14).
Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots? then may ye also do good, that are accustomed to do evil (Jer. 13:23).

The obvious answer to the question is "no." However, when we are speaking in terms of things in the realm of the Lord, things are not always as obvious as they seem. With God, all things are possible. And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible (Mark 10:27).

To fully grasp what is being said here, we should compare these words of Jeremiah with the words of another prophet on the same subject. Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool (Isa. 1:18). The words of Isaiah help us to arrive at a much better view of how the very nature of a person can be transformed.

This is the essence of the message of Christ. There is forgiveness of sins. Though a person might be guilty of sin, their record can be totally erased by the blood of Jesus Christ. The transgressions that have been committed in the past can be blotted out. The person who has done evil works can change his actions and learn to do good.

The subject of a person's sins being erased is a subject that we deal with often. Scripture has much to say on the topic. That is because this is the main theme of the Word of God.

From the very beginning when man fell into sin, God has sought to restore His relationship with mankind. In the Old Testament, provision was made with the system of sacrifice. In the New Testament, Christ came to pay the total cost for the sins of all who come to Him.

A beautiful thing happens to a person when they accept the gift of forgiveness of sin that only comes through Christ. There is no other power in this world that can allow a sinful man to die, and a new creature to live in his place. That is truly a miracle. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me (Gal. 2:20).

When we think about it that way, our original answer to Jeremiah's question is accurate. A person has no real hope of changing himself. Many will try time and again to do just that, and they will continue to fail. It is only through the power of Christ that a person is able to change his ways.

Once we realize this fact, we can then turn to Christ to have our lives changed forever. Every human needs to experience a new beginning in Christ.

In whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace (Eph 1:7).

Thought for Today:

Those who persecute God's servants will be severely punished.
Christ Revealed:

As the Hope of Israel, the Saviour (Jer. 14:8). Christ is the only Hope of all mankind. Looking for that blessed Hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ (Titus 2:13).
Word Studies:

11:15 wrought lewdness, done evil things; 11:23 visitation, judgment; 12:2 reins, heart; 13:22 skirts discovered . . . heels made bare, fine clothes torn off as you are driven into exile, barefoot (comp. Nah. 3:5).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. David E. Price (NC) • Country: Samoa (190,000) in the South Pacific • Major languages: Samoan and English • Religious freedom • 68% Protestant; 21% Roman Catholic; 2% Baha'i; 1.1% non-Religious/Other • Prayer Suggestion: Rejoice that He has promised to sustain us at all times (Ps. 55:22).
Optional Reading: II Peter 2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Jeremiah 15 – 18
Highlights:

Although Jeremiah suffers much, he stays bold before man because he was broken before God (15:10-21; 1:1-4,19-21;17:11-18;18:18-23). He tells Judah punishment is inevitable (15:1-9; 16:5-13; 17:1-4), but there's hope (16:14-18) and wisdom (17:5-10,19-27). Fact: our lives are in the hands of God (18:1-17)!
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it (Jer. 17:9)?

This Scripture is one of the most commonly known verses in the Bible; it has been preached on often. We have heard these words too many times to count. This may even be a verse that we have memorized. Do we just know these words, or do we consider them in the daily walk of our lives? Do we truly understand the message God is sending us through Jeremiah's words?

At first glance, this verse is easy to interpret. Jeremiah is simply saying "don't trust your heart." That is true to a degree. However, this message goes a little deeper than just that. The majority of the time it will pay dividends to the soul to look closely at what the Word of God is saying. Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God (I Cor. 4:5).

There are some things about the word "deceitful" that will help us understand what Jeremiah is telling us. The Hebrew word here is "agob" pronounced aw-kobe. This word is used only three times in the Old Testament. It's original meaning was tied to that of a hill, or swelling.

One could ask the question, what does that have to do with the heart? If looked at in regards to the subject matter, it could be said that an underlying meaning of Jeremiah's words could be that the heart is also full of pride in one's self. This emotion would easily go hand in hand with the thought of deceitfulness. It could be said then that the heart is deceptive in order to bring about some personal gain.

It goes without saying then that our heart, in itself, can not be trusted. In today's terms we might say our heart is trying to "con" us. It is trying to direct us into some self-serving action. These actions will most likely bring something into our lives that is not good for us in any way. But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies (Matt. 15:18-19).

The areas our hearts are drawing us to may seem attractive on the outside, but we must always look deeper. Further examination will reveal that the things our hearts desire are deceptive and dangerous. If we walk down the road we are led, we will find ourselves in desperate need of help.

What is the answer then? The answer is heart surgery. Our hearts need to be transformed by the power of Jesus Christ. It is He, and He alone that can bring us out of the darkness into the light.

To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in Me (Acts 26:18).

Thought for Today:

Do you, like Jeremiah, say, Thy Word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart (Jer. 15:16).
Christ Revealed:

By Jeremiah's words to God: Thy Word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart (Jer. 15:16). Jesus said: The words that I speak unto you, they are Spirit, and they are Life (John 6:63).
Word Studies:

15:1 toward, favorable to; 15:6 repenting, grieving over and giving you another hance; 17:10 try the reins, test the heart; 18:11 frame, prepare; 18:15 in a way not cast up, on paths of sin, not ways of righteousness and honor.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Louie Gohmert (TX) and Sec'y Timothy F. Geithner (Dept of Treasury) • Country: San Marino (25,000) inside north-central Italy • Major language: Italian • Religious freedom • 95% Roman Catholic; 5% atheist • Prayer Suggestion: When you are afraid, have confidence in and rely upon the Lord (Ps. 56:3-4).
Optional Reading: II Peter 3

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 90:4

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Jeremiah 19 – 22 
Highlights:

God speaks! To: (1) Judah - Shatter a jar. That's you (19:3-15); (2) Zedekiah: Babylon wins, you loose (21:8-10); (3) The Royal Family - Do right or else (21:11 – 22:5); (4) The Royal Palace - destroyed (22:6-9); (5) Jehoahaz - you're gone (22:10-12); (6) Jehoiakim - dies. Who cares (22:13-23)? (7) Jehoiachin - exiled, no heirs, nothing (22:24-30).
Then I said, I will not make mention of Him, nor speak any more in His name. But His word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay (Jer. 20:9).

With this verse of scripture, we find Jeremiah living up to his reputation as a prophet who weeps or laments over those to whom he is ministering. Why does he weep? He weeps because of the disobedience to the commands of God by the nation of Judah. Jeremiah knows that the consequences of this disobedience to God will put God's people in a terrible situation. Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience (Eph. 5:6).

Jeremiah must have had mixed emotions by this point. He had faithfully proclaimed the Word of God to Judah, but what had been the results of his obedience to the will of God? He had faced virtually nothing but opposition and persecution. He had been rejected by almost all who heard the message that God had given him. Even his family, friends and neighbors refused to listen to him. This should come as no surprise to us; the Word of God speaks to this very subject. And they were offended in Him. But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house (Matt. 13:57).

It would be a great understatement to say that Jeremiah was disappointed and disgusted with the conduct of the people of Judah. It seems from the Scripture that Jeremiah had come to a place where he felt like quitting. It appears that if it had been left up to him he would have never preached or spoken prophecy again.

However, his quitting was not to be. He could not quit because he knew the Lord was still speaking to him and through him. He said, "His word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones." The Lord had placed a fire deep down in the heart of Jeremiah that would not be quenched.

There are times that we probably feel a little like Jeremiah. We may look at what the Lord has given us to do and see no results coming from our work. We might even think to ourselves that we might just as well quit. After all, we think, it's not like we are impacting anyone with our ministry anyway.

What if everyone who had ever faced opposition or discouragement just quit? How much of the Word of God would have never been written? Like Jeremiah, many of God's people would have already given up, and there would have been nothing to write.

The Word of God reminds us that we are not working on our own. It is not our own mission we are working to fulfill. This is the Lord's work that we are doing. Sometimes it may not be meant for us to see the end results of our labors. The important thing is that we keep laboring for the Lord.

Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the LORD, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the LORD (I Cor. 15:58).

Thought for Today:

Are you pliable and willing to be formed by the Potter's hands?
Christ Revealed:

As the One who pronounces judgment upon those who refuse to obey His Word (Jer. 19:15). The Father . . . committed all judgment unto the Son (John 5:22).
Word Studies:

19:3 his ears shall tingle, will be utterly stunned by the news; 19:9 straitness, anguish, distress; 20:3 Magor-missabib, terror on every side; 20:11 mighty terrible One, awe-inspiring One, heroic Champion.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Kevin Jennings •Government Official: Gov. Richard "Rick' Snyder (MI) • Country: San Marino (25,000) inside north-central Italy • Major language: Italian • Religious freedom • 95% Roman Catholic; 5% atheist • Prayer Suggestion: When you are afraid, have confidence in and rely upon the Lord (Ps. 56:3-4).
Optional Reading: I John 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Jeremiah 23 – 25
Highlights:

Beware shepherds, leaders, and all God's children. You're responsible to teach the Truth of God's Word. Woe to false teachers, prophets, and prophecies (chap. 23). Christ, the Righteous Branch (23:5-8); As God "sorts" us, will you be in the "good" fig or the "bad" fig pile (chap. 24)?
Am I a God at hand, saith the LORD, and not a God afar off? Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD (Jer. 23:23-24).

The fact that our God knows no boundaries or limits is not the easiest concept to grasp. Everything around us has limits in some way or another. It is hard to even imagine a limitless existence. When you really think about it, there is nothing in the human realm that is not bound by limitations. And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto Me in heaven and in earth (Matt. 28:18).

We are bound by location because we can only be in one place at one time. In today's society, where everything is so fast paced, it would be a very usable skill to be able to be in two or more places at once. How many times have we thought, "if there were only two of me?" Of course, some people might not find it such a good thing for there to be two of any of us. Not that it matters anyway, we are bound to one place at a time.

God does not know this limitation. He can be, and is, in all places at once. It is hard for our minds to get a grasp on the fact that God is omnipresent. He can watch the Bible Pathway headquarters in Tennessee, while at the same time be looking over you wherever you are. To think about it on an even grander scale, He is also simultaneously with the astronauts on the International Space Station. As we can see, His presence is not even bound to this world. The psalmist even records that God is in all places in the spiritual realm. If I ascend up into heaven, Thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, Thou art there (Ps. 139:8).

Going right along with the thought of being limited by space, we are also limited by time. Our lives are full of little sayings that are usually complaints of one kind or another. One of these is, "if only there were more hours in the day." I think most of us know the truth of the matter is that even if there were a hundred hours in each day, we would figure a way to fill them up.

Time is one of the hardest things to understand when it comes to God. Everything in our world is bound by time. The realm of God has no such boundaries. God had no beginning, and He has no ending. The Lord has always existed and will always exist. It can be mind boggling. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty (Rev. 1:8).

We could definitely continue on and on with the ways that we are limited and God is not. We could mention power, knowledge or an assortment of other things. We are truly blessed to serve the true and living God. He can do anything, including erase the sins of an individual.

And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth (Rev. 19:6).

Thought for Today:

Preachers (prophets) who speak their own ideas are deceivers.
Christ Revealed:

As THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS (Jer. 23:5-6). Of Him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption (I Cor. 1:30; also II Cor. 5:21).
Word Studies:

23:10 adulterers, forsakers of God for the false gods; because of swearing, because of the curse of God upon it; 23:32 lightness, vain boasting; 25:34 fall like a pleasant vessel, break like a valuable vessel; 25:38 covert, hiding place.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Beth Carlton • Government Officials: Rep. Kathy Castor (FL), Rep Ruben E Hinojosa (TX) and Rep Ron Paul (TX) • Country: Saudi Arabia (20.9 million) on the Arabian Peninsula in southwestern Asia • Major language: Arabic • Christian worship services for foreign personnel are tolerated, but those who seek to convert Muslims to Christianity face persecution • 86% Sunni (Wahabi) Muslim; 10% Shi'ite Muslim; 1% Ismaili Muslim; 3% Others (including 600,000 Christians and some Hindus and Buddhists) • Prayer Suggestion: Rely upon the Lord at all times; He is your refuge (Ps. 62:8).
Optional Reading: I John 2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Jeremiah 29 – 31
Highlights:

Like the Israelites, God knows exactly where He is taking us and we're not to worry about the path He has us take to get there (29:11, 28; 30:1-11, 18-22). Get ready – God turns mourning into dancing and sadness into joy (31:13). We are under a new covenant (31:27-40).
The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee (Jer. 31:3).

From the very beginning in the Book of Genesis, to the ending in the Book of Revelation, the Word of God demonstrates the main unrelenting passion of the Lord. That passion is the Lord's deep desire to see all of mankind live in an intimate relationship with Him. In Jeremiah 31:3, the Lord tells His people that He loves them with an unending love. It is with His love that He draws mankind to Him.

This Scripture is a beautiful portrayal of the depth of the Lord's love that is given to us. It is God's passion to draw us into His presence. It is God's master plan to have this intimate fellowship with mankind. But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the LORD, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth (II Thes. 2:13).

God created man as His child. There was a time when God communed with man daily. There truly existed the relationship of a Father with His son. However, it did not last because man sinned and placed a rift in his relationship with God. This sin of man was a generational curse that would be passed down to every human that would come after Adam and Eve. Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of Him that was to come (Rom. 5:14).

Since that time, every move of God has been designed to bring restoration to His Father and child relationship with man. During the time of the Old Testament, God instituted the practice of sacrifices to cover man's sins. The time finally came in the New Testament for Christ to come and sacrifice His life, allowing man to finally be restored to his relationship with God. Once again, we could truly be called the sons and daughters of God. Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will (Eph. 1:5).

Man has given God plenty of reasons to give up on us. The nation of Israel, God's chosen people, turned from God time after time. They went through a continual loop of turning to false gods and then repenting and turning back to God. Even now, many who have accepted Christ as their personal savior at times turn to open sin, violating the law of God.

The love of God is so much bigger than anything mankind can do, but this is not to say the Lord will overlook sin. He does not do that. However, He will spare no expense in trying to draw us to repentance.

To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in Me (Acts 26:18).

Thought for Today:

It is better to be an encourager than be a discourager.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who forgives sin (Jer. 31:34). That ye may know that the Son of Man hath power (authority) on earth to forgive sins, (then saith He to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go (Matt. 9:6; comp. John 8:10-11).
Word Studies:

29:11 an expected end, a hopeful future; 29:23 have committed villany, have done disgraceful things; 30:21 engaged, pledged; 31:14 satiate, fully satisfy; 31:21 high heaps, road signs (pointing back to Israel).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: Sponsored by Thursday Morning Prayer • Government Officials: Rep. Cory Gardner (CO), Rep Thaddeus G McCotter (MI) and Rep. Trey Gowdy (SC) • Country: Serbia and Montenegro (11 million) on the Balkan Peninsula in southeastern Europe • Major language: Serbo-Croatian • Religious conflict • 41% Serbian/Montenegrin/Macedonian Orthodox; 33% Catholic; 11% Muslim; 1% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Lift up your hands in surrender and praise as you pray (Ps. 63:4).
Optional Reading: I John 4

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk