Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 36 – 39
Highlights:

Man's wickedness and God's perfections contrasted. Loving kindness is equivalent to NT grace (36:7). Man contrasts the life-style of the wicked and deceitful with the righteous and forgiven.
Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb. Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed (Ps. 37:1-3).

The words of these verses are at times some of the hardest to live by. How many times have you seen unbelievers prospering while believers suffered? This draws many to question what God is doing or how He could allow something like this to take place. There are important things to remember whenever we are having thoughts or feelings such as these. The main thing is that no one promised us a life that would be trouble free. Some will debate this by citing Scripture that they believe foretells of an easy road. Come unto Me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light (Matt. 11:28-30).

It is true the Lord does promise easier and better days to those who place their trust in Him. Jesus is preparing an eternal home for the believer in heaven. In My Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you (John 14:2).

This promise does not belong to the unbeliever. It only belongs to those who have placed their trust in Christ as their Lord and Savior. The words of today's verse seem to make a lot more sense when this is taken into account.

The wicked may seem to flourish at times, but this is only for a short season. After that season ends, it will become time for them to reap what was sown. Those who believe do not have to fear death. Those who have not trusted in Christ have sown selfish seeds. It is true there may have been good deeds done, but good deeds alone without Christ are not enough.

The believer who lives to follow and serve Christ will sow spiritual seeds of a godly nature. When those seeds are harvested, they will yield good fruit. Believers sow not to build up themselves, but to build the kingdom of God.

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal (Matt. 6:19-20).

Thought for Today:

Self-confidence and esteeming ourselves too highly prevent a close walk with the Lord.
Christ Revealed:

As the Fountain of Life (and the) Light (Ps. 36:9). In Him was Life; and the Life was the Light of men. . . . That was the True Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world (John 1:4-9; comp. 4:10,14; Rev. 22:1).
Word Studies:

36:7 put their trust under, take refuge in; 38:2 Thy hand presseth me sore, your punishment presses heavily upon me; 38:8 roared, groaned with anguish; 38:11 sore, afflictions.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: Sponsored by Mrs. Elaine Merrell • Pray for Staff: Jennifer Palafox • Pray for Country: Laos (5 million) in Southeast Asia • Major languages: Lao and French • Great suppression of all Christian activities • 58% Buddhist; 33% belief in spirits and ancestor worship; 2% Christian; 1% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Cry out to God in humility (Ps. 9:12).
Optional Reading: Colossians 4

NOTE: Bible Pathway covers the Old Testament with devotional and commentary insights over a nine-month period, January through September. Each day during these months, an optional reading of one chapter a day from the New Testament will also be listed. The October, November, and December issues will provide a daily commentary on the New Testament readings. Thus, the reader goes through the New Testament twice each year using the Bible Pathway plan.
Memory Verse for the Week: John 6:44

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 40 – 45
Highlights:

Many feel Ps. 42 & 43 are one psalm and that they are Messianic! Those who choose to live godly lives will not go unrewarded. They seek opportunities to share with others about what God is doing in and through them.
He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. And He hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD (Ps. 40:2-3).

These words should reflect the praise that is on every believer's heart. They could be the song that comes from the mouth of all who know Christ. They speak as the heart-felt testimony of one who was lost in sin, but has been saved by the marvellous grace of Christ.

We as believers know what it means to have once lived in the pit about which the verse speaks. We know the meaning of being trapped in the muck and mud of a sinful life. We were sin stained and trapped as if we were in quicksand. We were incapable of getting ourselves out. While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage (II Pet. 2:19).

It is only through the power of Christ that we are rescued from this pit we are trapped in. When we call on Him and accept His free gift of salvation, Christ gives us the ultimate pardon. Our sins are forgiven and washed away. And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the Prince of the kings of the earth. Unto Him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in His own blood (Rev. 1:5).

If we examine the words of our verse, we see that not only has Christ rescued us and cleaned us up; He has placed us so as to be headed in the right direction of life. He did not just save us to let us wander aimlessly through life. And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ (II Thes. 3:5).

The last part of the verse is an awesome promise. The psalmist says that many will see what Christ has done. However, they will not just see the work, but they will begin to place their trust in Christ because of the things He has done in the hearts of believers. It has often been said that the best witness that can be given is simply a life lived to honor God. Today's reading confirms those words. It is very important to tell what has been done for us. We must each strive to sing that new song that has been given to all who trust Christ.

But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many (Rom. 5:15).

Thought for Today:

The Lord rewards those who show mercy to the poor.
Christ Revealed:

As One who will do the will of God (Ps. 40:6-8). Jesus said that His purpose on earth was to do the will of Him that sent Me, and to finish His work (John 4:34; Heb. 10:7-9).
Word Studies:

40:6 ears . . . opened, You have given me a heart to hear and obey; 41:3 make all his bed in his sickness, sustain him in all his sickness; 42:1 panteth after, longs for; 42:11 health, salvation; 44:19 sore broken, severely crushed; 45:1 inditing, overflowing with; 45:6 right sceptre, righteous rule.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: Sponsored by Rev. Gladys Davis • Pray for Staff: Chris Robison • Pray for Country: Latvia (2.48 million) eastern coast of Baltic Sea in northeastern Europe • Major languages: Latvian and Russian • Religious freedom • 20% Protestant (mainly Lutheran); 20% Roman Catholic; 15% Orthodox; .9% Jewish; .4% Muslim; 43.7% Atheist/Agnostics/Other • Prayer Suggestion: Trust in the Lord; He is your refuge (Ps. 15:1-4).
Optional Reading: I Thessalonians 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 46 – 51
Highlights:

We're reminded to be still and worship. See hope for the "have-nots" when the "haves" are taking advantage of them. The heartrending prayer of repentance from David who wants to be cleansed and restored.
None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him: (For the redemption of their soul is precious, and it ceaseth for ever (Ps. 49:7-8).

There is no amount of money or treasure that can purchase salvation for an individual. God's Word makes that very clear. There are some who believe that this can be done. There are beliefs that if I pay enough then my loved one can be saved. But this is not a Bible truth.

The only way a person can obtain redemption for their soul is through Jesus Christ and the acceptance of His free gift of salvation. This is the only way a person can get forgiveness for their sins. In whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace (Eph. 1:7).

It should also be noted that a person can only ask for forgiveness and salvation for themselves. No one can accept Christ for another individual. Salvation is a personal decision. It begins a relationship between you and Christ and no one else. It is great to love a person enough that you have that much concern for their soul, however there are limitations as to what we can do on behalf of others.

We can always pray specific prayers for these individuals. We can pray that the Lord will convict their hearts to draw them closer to salvation. We can also pray that God puts those in their path that might lead them to Christ. Therefore said He unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that He would send forth labourers into His harvest (Luke 10:2).

Salvation is the most important decision that can happen in our lives. It should be considered with the utmost seriousness. Jesus Christ, the Son of God, suffered and died to make a way for us to have salvation. What greater gift could have been given to mankind?

Too often, we go through life without realizing what a beautiful gift God has given us. This is true of believers and unbelievers alike. Unbelievers have no idea what is lacking in their lives until they begin to feel the love of God. The believer has felt this love, but all too often allows the world to dull it and make it seem unimportant. There is nothing of greater importance than a right relationship with God.

But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth (II Thes. 2:13).

Thought for Today:

Can you say like the psalmist, "I will not fear though the earth be removed."?
Christ Revealed:

As the One who will judge His people (Ps. 50:4). The Lord Jesus Christ . . . shall judge the quick (living) and the dead at His appearing (II Tim. 4:1).
Word Studies:

46:6 heathen raged, nations were in turmoil; 48:11 daughters of Judah, its cities and villages as opposed to Jerusalem, the major city; 49:9 see corruption, experience death; 50:23 conversation, daily conduct; 51:4 clear, pure, blameless.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Beth Carlton • Government Official: Sen. Lamar Alexander (TN) • Pray for Country: Lebanon (4.3 million) in the Middle East • Major languages: Arabic and French • Limited religious freedom • 55% Muslim (Shi'a, Sunni); 41% Christian (Maronite, Orthodox, Melchite, Protestant, Chaldean, Assyrian, Syriac); 3% Druze; 1% Others (Jewish, Baha'i, Alawi, Jehovah's Witness) • Prayer Suggestion: Trust in the Lord: where He guides, He provides (Ps. 16:1-8).
Optional Reading: I Thessalonians 2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 52 – 59
Highlights:

David begins with the end of the wicked and the peace of the Godly. Folly of the Godless and how Israel is restored; a prayer for deliverance from adversaries; treachery of friends; relief from tormentors; safety from enemies.
My soul is among lions: and I lie even among them that are set on fire, even the sons of men, whose teeth are spears and arrows, and their tongue a sharp sword. Be Thou exalted, O God, above the heavens; let Thy glory be above all the earth. They have prepared a net for my steps; my soul is bowed down: they have digged a pit before me, into the midst whereof they are fallen themselves. Selah (Ps. 57:4-6).

There is no doubt that we will encounter rough times in our lives. Sometimes it might even seem that we will be overcome by the enemies that are encamped around us. It is easy to see why at times we might become fearful and even lose hope.

The psalmist sees all the pitfalls being dug around him. The desperation in his prayer is obvious. He is feeling trapped on every side by his enemies. He even speaks of the snares they have laid out to capture him.

It is difficult to know whether David was speaking of physical enemies, spiritual enemies or a combination of both. It would most likely seem to be the latter. It is certain that, at times, David was surrounded by physical enemies, and he had his spiritual battles as well. The context of this prayer seems to reveal this to be a time of both.

More times than not our skirmishes are more of a spiritual nature. This should not belittle our troubles at all. Some of the greatest battles ever fought have been spiritual in nature. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places (Eph. 6:12).

It should be noted that in the midst of his prayer that David was still offering praise to God. This comes from the heart of a man who had experienced God's deliverance from hard times before. Why would God forsake him now? He knew there was no chance of that happening. The person that knows this can offer praise even during the trial and not only after it. And when they had laid many stripes upon them, they cast them into prison, charging the jailor to keep them safely: Who, having received such a charge, thrust them into the inner prison, and made their feet fast in the stocks. And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them (Acts 16:23-25).

Likewise, we should offer that same kind of praise during our trials. How is this possible? God has brought His people through dark valleys and carried them over high mountains. Therefore, we can have the assurance God will do it again.

Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of His dear Son (Col. 1:13).

Thought for Today:

Pity the fool who says "there is no God." God says they have done abominable iniquity.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who saves those who will call on Him (Ps. 55:16-17). And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the Name of the Lord shall be saved (Acts 2:21; also Rom. 10:13).
Word Studies:

53:3 filthy, corrupt; 55:4 sore, grievously; 55:9 divide their tongues, bring confusion to their counsel; 59:10 prevent, go before.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for: Our Military worldwide • Internet Radio Sponsored by Janda Campbell • Government Official: Rep. Sam Farr (CA) • Pray for Country: Lesotho (2 million) within the east-central part of the Republic of South Africa • Major languages: Sesotho and English • Limited religious freedom • 43% Roman Catholic; 30% Protestant; 6% ancestor worship, divination, and spirit-possession cults • Prayer Suggestion: Pray to the Lord with sincere lips (Ps. 17:1).
Optional Reading: I Thessalonians 3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 67 – 71
Highlights:

A mixture of worship and glory to God; urgent pleas for help in trouble and relief from adversaries; personal testimony of a devout old man (71:9); praising the Holy One of Israel (71:22) for positive victory.
Let the people praise Thee, O God; let all the people praiseThee. O let the nations be glad and sing for joy: forThou shalt judge the people righteously, and govern the nations upon earth. Selah. Let the people praise Thee, O God; let all the people praise Thee (Ps.67:3-5).

We should always be ready to praise the Lord. Every believer in Christ should have praise to God ready to come out of their mouths. Only the Lord truly deserves every bit of praise He gets. The psalmist is certainly in tune with these facts. That is evident from the proclamation made in these scriptures. The praise of the Lord is greatly encouraged here.

If we delve a little deeper into our reading, we see all people are being drawn to praise the Lord. Why should the Lord receive this praise? The psalmist has the answer to that. He says that God judges and governs in a proper way. The Lord deals with all people equally, as only a righteous judge would. I can of Mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and My judgment is just; because I seek not Mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent Me (John 5:30).

We have many reasons to praise the Lord. What could be bigger than the fact that we are saved from our sins? Jesus has applied His blood covering to our sin stain. We are forgiven of our sins. God looked into the hearts of man and saw we were wicked. He knew we needed a Savior. Praise the Lord that Christ gave Himself as a sacrifice in our place. Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us, and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins (I John 4:10).

Praise should be offered to God for all the great works He does. The Lord still heals. The Lord still performs many wonderful miracles. All the great works that God has done in times past, the work that He did in the time of the disciples and the New Testament Church, He is still doing today. And when He was come nigh, even now at the descent of the mount of Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works that they had seen (Luke 19:37).

The Word of God is full of commands to praise the Lord. They can be found from the start of the Old Testament in the Book of Genesis through the close of the New Testament in the Book of Revelation. We are to always be ready to praise the Lord. We praise Him in the good times and we praise Him in the bad times. The circumstances of our lives do not matter. God is still God.

And a voice came out of the throne, saying, Praise our God, all ye His servants, and ye that fear Him, both small and great (Rev. 19:5).

Thought for Today:

God calls us to bless not curse those who persecute the righteous.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who led captivity captive (Ps. 68:18). With His resurrection power, Jesus broke the captive power of Satan. When He led the Old Testament saints from paradise into heaven, He led captivity captive (comp. Eph. 4:8; also Gal. 5:1; Rev. 1:18).
Word Studies:

67:2 saving health, salvation; 68:4 JAH is an abbreviation for Jehovah – the Eternal, Self-Existent One – and corresponds to I AM THAT I AM; 68:13 pots, sheepfolds; 68:18 led captivity captive, led your captives captive – a prophecy concerning Jesus Christ (Eph. 4:8-9); 68:20 issues, escapes; 68:35 terrible, awesome, astonishing; 70:3 Aha, aha, an expression of scorn.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Country: Libya (5 million) in North Africa • Major languages: Arabic and Italian • No form of Christian witness to Libyans is permitted • 98% Muslim; 2% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Call upon the Lord in time of trouble, for He promises to hear us (Ps. 18:6).
Optional Reading: I Thessalonians 5

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 72 – 77
Highlights:

Mighty King David prays his last prayer (72:20) — for the one put in charge of God's people; a lesson from Asaph; in his trouble he begins to remember who is so great a God as our God?
And I said, This is my infirmity: but I will remember the years of the right hand of the most High. I will remember the works of the LORD: surely I will remember Thy wonders of old. I will meditate also of all Thy work, and talk of Thy doings (Ps.77:10-12).

There may be times in life that we face all manner of struggles. The psalmist here was facing a struggle of some physical nature. From what is said in verse two, it appears he is suffering from a skin condition The condition is so bad that he cannot rest, and he receives little comfort from the pain.

This must have been very difficult to deal with. There are not many ailments that come to mind today that would cause that much suffering. One of the few things would possibly be cancer or a similar disease.

The psalmist sets a great example for any of us that might be going through any type of difficult situation. He thinks back on the way the Lord has moved in times past. He begins to recall the marvellous works that the Lord has done. The workings of God were not a new thing; they had been manifested for many years. God had been moving on the hearts of men for a long time. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost (II Pet. 1:21).

It would seem the psalmist was in touch with a powerful gospel truth. If God did it then, He will do it now. If God delivered men out of the hands of bondage in times past, then He will do it in times present and in times future. If God has healed individuals before, He will heal individuals again. Why is all this for sure a truth? The answer is that the Word of God says it. Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever (Heb. 13:8).

The psalmist concludes his thought in Scripture by saying that he is going to think on the things of God. Again, this is simply following what the Word of God already tells us to do. That is to concentrate on the positives that God has done, is doing and will do. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things (Phil. 4:8).

The psalmist closes these verses not only by thinking about the good things of God, He also feels the responsibility to share them. We too during our times of struggle should follow this lead. Think on the things of God and speak of them as well.

Howbeit Jesus suffered him not, but saith unto him, Go home to thy friends, and tell them how great things the Lord hath done for thee, and hath had compassion on thee (Mark. 5:19).

Thought for Today:

Never give up. God says, Pray without ceasing.
Christ Revealed:

As the Righteous Judge who will crush the oppressor (Ps. 72:2-4). Psalm 75:8 describes the judgment of God upon those who refuse to accept the salvation so freely offered by Jesus, the Lamb of God (John 1:29,34-36; comp. II Thess. 1:8-9).
Word Studies:

73:4 bands, pain; 73:21 pricked in my reins, emotionally disturbed; 74:2 the rod, the tribe; 74:4 set up their ensigns for signs, replace the symbols of God with their own symbols; 75:5 speak not with a stiff neck, defy not God with an insolent attitude.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Judy Chu (CA) • Country: Liechtenstein (32,000) in western Europe • Major languages: German and Alemannic dialect • Religious freedom • 87% Roman Catholic; 12% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Let your faith in the Word of God overrule all fears (Ps. 18:30).
Optional Reading: II Thessalonians 1

Memory Verse for the Week: Galatians 6:7

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 78 – 80
Highlights:

Oh how quickly we forget! In trouble, the people cry out to God to be saved, restored, and promise to stay faithful! How often have we heard that (78:34-42)? Check 80:4. It sounds like one of our prayers!
Turn us again, O God, and cause Thy face to shine; and we shall be saved. O LORD God of hosts, how long wilt Thou be angry against the prayer of Thy people? Thou feedest them with the bread of tears; and givest them tears to drink in great measure (Ps.80:3-5).

The psalmist was praying a prayer that was asking the Lord how much longer His people would have to suffer. It should be noted that he is not saying they should not be suffering. It is evident from the scriptures that Israel had been in a state of sin. Like any good Father, God was punishing His children. Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience (Eph. 5:6).

The psalmist was asking the Lord to turn His people back to Him. It would seem he had a desire to see the nation of Israel experience a heart change. He wanted them to return to God, their Heavenly Father. There is definitely a prayer for revival found here in the psalmist's words.

This brings to mind another Old Testament scripture. The similarities are there in the fact that if God's people would turn to Him then God would respond in a like manner in answering their prayer. If My people, which are called by My name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land (II Chr. 7:14).

The psalmist says if God's people would turn back to Him that would cause His, face to shine (80:3). This would seem to mean that the people of God would once again find favour in His eyes. God would no longer have to be angry with them.

However, at the time this was written that was not yet the case. God was still looking at His people in their sin. This caused their relationship to God to be damaged at best.

It is very easy to look and pass judgment. Why don't they just repent? It would seem it would be easy to restore their relationship with God. But how often do we find ourselves in the same position? We have strayed off of God's path. We may even be living in sin. It is so easy to repent and reconnect with God, but we sometimes choose not to do so. It is in these situations that we are challenged to think back to these verses. We would have challenged Israel to turn to God; let's challenge ourselves to do the same.

But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance (Acts 26:20).

Thought for Today:

Why did God call Abraham his friend? (See Jas. 2:33) Can He say that about you?
Christ Revealed:

As the true Shepherd (Ps. 80:1). Christ is the Good Shepherd and the Door through which one must enter to be saved. He alone is The Way to heaven (John 10:9,11; 14:6).
Word Studies:

78:15 clave, split; 78:34 inquired early, sought diligently; 79:4 derision, ridicule; 80:3 Turn us again, Restore us; 80:8 a vine, Israel; 80:12 hedges, wall or fences; 80:18 quicken, revive.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: Sponsored by Dorothy W Ralston • Staff: Rita Guerra • Government Official: Rep. John D. Dingell (MI) • Country: Lithuania (4 million) eastern coast of Baltic Sea in northeastern Europe • Major languages: Lithuanian and Russian • Limited religious freedom • 80% Roman Catholic; 5% Russian Orthodox; 1% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to show you any sins that you are not aware of and to cleanse you of them (Ps. 19:12).
Optional Reading: II Thessalonians 2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 81 – 87
Highlights:

God speaks in the first person; He waited (81:11) but no repentance; again the people cry, forgiveness, mercy, the exiles return, their thankfulness and God's love are clearly expressed here.
Thou hast forgiven the iniquity of Thy people, Thou hast covered all their sin. Selah. Thou hast taken away all Thy wrath: Thou hast turned Thyself from the fierceness of Thine anger. Turn us, O God of our salvation, and cause Thine anger toward us to cease (Ps.85:2-4).

In contrast to yesterday's focus verse, it would appear from these scriptures that Israel is finding her way back to God. The psalmist had previously been praying that God would help Israel turn her face back to God. He went on to pray that this would cause the favour of God to once again shine on Israel. This prayer is offering praise to the Lord for what He has done for Israel.

The psalmist today has a different message in his prayer, although he is still praising God. The nation has evidently begun to repent of their sins. The psalmist offers praise to God that He has forgiven them and covered their sins. It is truly the greatest blessing to have our sins eradicated by the forgiving power that is in the blood of Christ. Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in His blood, to declare His righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God (Rom. 3:25).

The psalmist goes on to say that the Lord no longer expresses His wrath against His people. Many times the word "wrath" is used when speaking of the judgment of the Lord. Some would say this makes the Lord look to be a hard judge. Make no mistake, God is a just judge. This means He will always judge fairly and punish that which needs to be punished. However, the correction of the Lord is meant to bring us back into a proper fellowship with Him. For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world (I Cor. 11:31-32).

It should also be mentioned here that it seems Israel has not made a complete turn around. The prayer of the psalmist to God is for Him to continue to move them back towards Him. It is also stated that the Lord still has anger towards them. Therefore, there must be some sin remaining for Him to be angry about.

There is much from this reading that we can apply to our own relationship with God. One of the most important is to remember when correction comes our way, whether it be from God or man, we should not be upset. It is meant to bring us back into line. The Word of God often will correct us.

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness (II Tim. 3:16).

Thought for Today:

Is the Lord your sufficiency as He was Paul's? (II Cor.3:5-6)
Christ Revealed:

By Jerusalem, from where the psalmist declared that all of the springs (sources) of joy and happiness flow (Ps. 87:7). Jesus is the Source of our joy as the angel announced at His birth (Luke 2:10). Jesus also declared: These things have I spoken unto you, that My joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full (John 15:11).
Word Studies:

82:1 the gods, earthly rulers and judges; 82:4 rid, rescue; 82:5 foundations . . . out of course, administration of justice is ignored; 82:6 gods, My representatives; 83:2 lifted up the head, exalted themselves.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Cheryl Walker • Government Officials: Rep. Dave Camp (MI), Rep. Scott Garrett (NJ), and Sen. Lindsey Graham (SC) • Country: Luxembourg (429,000) in western Europe • Major languages: Luxembourgish and German • Religious freedom • 84% Roman Catholic; 2% Protestant; .1% Eastern Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to deliver you from willful sins (Ps. 19:13).
Optional Reading: II Thessalonians 3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 88 – 91
Highlights:

God's answer brings light and mercy; Psalm 90, the oldest psalm in the Bible written by Moses - the brevity of life and eternity of God; The 91st psalm – magnificent, amazing promises of security to those who trust God.
For who in the heaven can be compared unto the LORD? who among the sons of the mighty can be likened unto the LORD? God is greatly to be feared in the assembly of the saints, and to be had in reverence of all them that are about Him. O LORD God of hosts, who is a strong LORD like unto Thee? or to Thy faithfulness round about Thee (Ps.89:6-8)?

The psalmist is offering great praise to God with these questions. Their answer is obvious. He even gives it himself in the middle of them by recognizing the greatness of God.

Some might wonder why these rhetorical type questions were used in the text of the Word of God. The answer to this is that they cause us to think on the subject a little bit deeper. It is our natural instinct when we see a question that we try to answer it.

The first question asks if there is any in heaven that can be compared to God. The answer of course is no. God created all that is in heaven and earth. The Creator is greater than His creation. And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth (Rev. 19:6).

The second question is similar to the first. The writer asks if any can be compared to the Lord. While many might try to equate themselves with God,this attempt will always end in failure. There is only one true God. And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know Him that is true, and we are in Him that is true, even in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life (I John 5:20).

The identity of God is revealed in these verses. We find that there is none other like God. God is all powerful. God is meant to be feared and reverenced. Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear (Heb. 12:28).

There are many things in this world that might try to draw our praise and worship away from God. Some of these things may be enticing. However, they are not God. God is the only One deserving of the aforementioned praise and worship.

Let us praise God for all He is. Let us worship Him for all He does. Give praise to the One and Only True God.

To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen (Jude 1:25).

Thought for Today:

Those who take note of the brevity of our lives will seek after wisdom.
Christ Revealed:

By the seed (descendants) of David (Ps. 89:3-4). Concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed (descendants) of David according to the flesh (Rom. 1:3; also Matt. 1:1; Luke 3:31-32).
Word Studies:

88:13 prevent, come before; 89:10 Rahab in this context is a poetic name for Egypt (see 87:4; Is. 51:9); 89:24 horn be exalted, authority shall increase; 89:41 spoil, plunder; 90:13 let it repent thee concerning, change your judgment to compassion on; 91:13 dragon, serpent, a reference to Satan. And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years (Rev. 20:2; see also 12:3-4,7,9,13,16-17;13:2,4,11).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: Sponsored by Miss Vicki Bartels • Staff: Clarence Rathbone • Government Officials: Rep. Tom McClintock (CA), Rep. Phil Gingrey (GA), and Rep. Russ Carnahan (MO) • Country: Macedonia (2 million) in southeastern Europe • Major languages: Macedonian and Albanian • strongly Orthodox country • 67% Macedonian Orthodox; 23% Muslim; 3% Catholic; 2% Protestant; 5% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Pray that your words and thoughts will be pleasing to the Lord (Ps. 19:14).
Optional Reading: I Timothy 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 92 – 100
Highlights:

The writer talks to God; why and how to worship God: You have made me glad, My God reigns, give glory to His Name, everyone sing praise to the Lord; praise for His salvation, His judgment, His Holiness, His faithfulness.
Ye that love the LORD, hate evil: He preserveth the souls of His saints; He delivereth them out of the hand of the wicked. Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart. Rejoice in the LORD, ye righteous; and give thanks at the remembrance of His holiness (Ps.97:10-12).

These verses contain specific challenges to the believer as well as promises from God. These promises come in response to godly behavior from the believer. It is a familiar concept found again and again in the Word of God. That is the concept of sowing and reaping. Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting (Gal. 6:7-8).

The psalmist says that if a man is righteous then he will be in the light of the Lord. Of course, this righteousness must come from God. Our righteousness on its own is worth nothing. It is only the righteousness of God that changes the hearts of man. Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ (II Pet. 1:1).

We are called to hate that which is evil. This should be a natural response in the believer. If we love God, we should not have any other response to anything that is evil. It is impossible to love God while loving anything evil. This is like saying you are both hot and cold. To even try to embrace both God and that which is evil, is inviting difficult times on ourselves. Draw nigh to God, and He will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded (James 4:8).

This Scripture is not alone in its message. A choice in life has to be made. That choice should be easy enough. We need to turn our backs to anything in opposition to God. In doing so, we turn our faces to the Lord. In this place, we can live a repentant life for Christ.

As followers of Christ, we should take the words in these Scriptures to heart. We need to love God above all things. We should also be joyful in our relationship with Him. The greatest life a person can live is one that is dedicated to Jesus Christ. Let us be thankful that we have the honour and privilege of serving the Lord and being counted among His elect.

And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful (Col. 3:15).

Thought for Today:

If you want joy in your life, start praising the Lord all through the day.
Christ Revealed:

As the Creator: It is He that hath made us (Ps. 100:3). All things were made by Him; and without Him was not any thing made that was made (John 1:3; Eph. 3:9; Col. 1:16; Rev. 4:11).
Word Studies:

92:6 brutish, without regard to reason or propriety; 93:5 becometh, distinguishes; 94:20 throne of iniquity, workers of evil; frameth, devises; 95:7 of His hand, under His care; 99:3 terrible, holy, awesome.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Bible Pathway Printer: Ambrose Printing • Government Official: Rep. Ed J. Markey (MA) • Country: Madagascar (15 million) an island in the Indian Ocean off the coast of Mozambique • Major languages: French and Malagasy • Increasingly anti-Christian • 43% witchcraft, ancestor worship, and some astrology; 21% Protestant; 21% Roman Catholic; 2% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to reveal His perfect will for you (Ps. 25:4).
Optional Reading: I Timothy 2

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk