Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Job 21 – 24
My foot hath held His steps, His way have I kept, and not declined. Neither have I gone back from the commandment of His lips; I have esteemed the words of His mouth more than my necessary food - (Job 23:11-12).

Job offers us as believers the personal example of a man who endured great hardships. His difficulties demand repeating again and again. This is necessary so that we profit and learn from how terribly Job had to suffer afflictions in this life.

This man lost nearly everything of monetary value he had. Most of his servants and family had perished. His health took a downward spiral that had brought him just shy of death's door. All those around him were either critical or had abandoned him altogether. It could well be said that he had suffered more than most anyone had suffered or would ever suffer. He fought through these afflictions exceptionally well under the circumstances. Many would have just given up because of all Job endured.

It is not that Job never got down or discouraged during this time. As we read the Book of Job, it is clear that he had times he felt lonely and perhaps even depressed. The key to Job's journey through this terrible time can be found in these two verses.

Job did not give up his trust in his Creator. His belief in God was as strong in the hard times as it had been in the good times. The awful circumstances of life did not influence the identity and character of God in Job's life. The love of God was still just as wonderful in Job's mind regardless of the outcome of his own life. Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life (Jude 1:21).

Many bad things had come to Job's life. However, there was no question that there had been many good things in his life as well. He knew full well where all the good things had come from. And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work (II Cor. 9:8).

Life's trials may get us down at times. Our faith and trust in God are the only things that can truly deliver us out of the valley and to the top of the mountains of life. Follow God. Let the love of Christ carry us to the next mountain top experience.

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose (Rom. 8:28).

Thought for Today:

God's Word encourages even though others may turn against us.
Word Studies:

21:2 consolations, sympathy; 21:3 Suffer, Allow; 21:8 seed, children; 21:10 gendereth, breeds; casteth not, does not miscarry; 21:29 tokens, testimony and experience; 24:5 rising betimes for a prey, seeking diligently for food; 24:21 evil entreateth, cruelly takes advantage of.
Christ Revealed:

Through Job's faithfulness to God throughout his suffering (Job 23:10-12). Christ's faithfulness to the Father is seen as He prayed for the Father's will to be done, not His own (Luke 22:42).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Cheryl Walker • Internet Radio: Sponsored by Thursday Morning Prayer • Country: Luxembourg (429,000) in western Europe • Major languages: Luxembourgish and German • Religious freedom • 84% Roman Catholic; 2% Protestant; .1% Eastern Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Kneel in a humble spirit of reverence as you pray to the Lord (I Kings 8:54).
Optional Reading: Ephesians 3

Memory Verse for the Week: Ecclesiastes 12:13

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Job 25 – 29
God forbid that I should justify you: till I die I will not remove mine integrity from me. My righteousness I hold fast, and will not let it go: my heart shall not reproach me so long as I live (Job 27:5-6).

Job could have used all the things happening to him as an excuse to sin. Sometimes, in the reading of scripture, it would seem that the friends of Job might have been more content if they had found him in open sin. This would have justified the assault they had launched on him. They would not have had to speculate about any hidden sin that Job might be concealing.

When it came to matters such as sin, Job had taken the high road through all that had happened. He did not allow himself to go in that direction. He held true to his upright walk before God. Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world (John 11:9).

A careful look at Job 27:5-6 shows how serious Job is about maintaining his witness. He first calls out his friends that we spoke of before. Job tells them he would never do anything to allow their accusations to be truth. Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God (Rom. 6:13).

Job spoke that he would not allow integrity to leave him. This is something that is truly lacking in the world today. It is not easy to find someone willing to hold so close to their integrity. In today's society, many compromise their integrity every day. There was a time when you might have heard the phrase "a man is only as good as his word". In those days, there was many a business deal conducted on a handshake alone. People of integrity could be trusted to do what they said they would do.

This is not to say there are not people today who value their reputation. There are many who do. However, you will find just as many who see no problem in telling a "little white lie" as long as it doesn't hurt anyone. The problem is deception is deception regardless of the size or value of it. Deception always harms someone. The character of the person telling the lie will be damaged for sure.

For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty (I Tim. 2:2).

Thought for Today:

Although our flesh is weak, God gives strength during our times of testing.
Word Studies:

27:22 fain flee, desire to flee; 29:14 diadem, turban.
Christ Revealed:

Through Job's compassion for others (Job 29:15-17,21-25). Jesus was moved to compassion when He saw great crowds in need of healing and feeding (Matt. 14:14; 15:30-39).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: Sponsored by Robert and Mary Tozier • Government Official: Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (CA) • Country: Macedonia (2 million) in southeastern Europe • Major languages: Macedonian and Albanian • strongly Orthodox country • 67% Macedonian Orthodox; 23% Muslim; 3% Catholic; 2% Protestant; 5% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Bless the Lord that His Word is absolutely trustworthy (I Kings 8:56).
Optional Reading: Ephesians 4

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Job 30 – 33
I said, Days should speak, and multitude of years should teach wisdom. But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding. Great men are not always wise: neither do the aged understand judgment - (Job 32:7-9).

Elihu had listened as the other friends of Job had accused and verbally assaulted him. He had also heard Job's response to all that had been said to him. Elihu had waited to speak out of respect for the others as they were his elders.

This is not the focus of today's reading. However, there should always be respect shown for those older than you. Many discredit the elderly because of their age. Yet it is because of their long life on earth that they might have something to offer. If you take time to listen, you might be surprised to find there is something to be learned from them. Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble (I Pet. 5:5).

Elihu is angered at Job because he feels Job was justifying himself instead of God. However, his anger was also directed towards the other three friends of Job. He felt they had condemned Job without being able to give a cause. It should be said here that many instantly fault Elihu for his anger. The Word of God teaches us that we can be angry to certain levels. Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath (Eph. 4:26). As this verse teaches, we simply must not allow our anger to lead us into sin. It would be difficult to determine the level of the Elihu's anger.

Elihu speaks the truth in these verses, even though it may seem contradictory to what was said earlier. However, there is no reason that both can't be accurate. It is true that our elders should and do at times offer much wisdom, but, just because a person is older is no guarantee they are right. Job's three friends are proof of that. This is what Elihu is stating here. Simply, he is saying God gives wisdom and understanding. He gives it to those willing to receive it.

Regardless of our age, we should be open to allowing God to teach us. We can do this by hearing from God Himself through His Word. He may also teach us out of the mouths of other believers as they share what God has taught them.

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in My name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you (John 14:26).

Thought for Today:

Remember, when you feel your prayers are unanswered, Jesus said to pray, "Thy will be done."
Word Studies:

30:2 where to, how; 30:4 mallows, plants of the salt marsh; 30:14 wide breaking in of waters, waters gushing through a wide break in the wall; 30:27 My bowels boiled, My heart is continually troubled; days of affliction prevented, every day brings more suffering; 31:10 grind unto, be a slave to; 31:40 cockle, thorny weeds; 32:19 belly, feeling in my heart.
Christ Revealed:

Through the ridicule and affliction which Job suffered (Job 30:10-11). Christ was afflicted and spit upon. After Pilate delivered Jesus to the Roman soldiers, they beat Him, hit Him with an open hand and spit on Him; and then they crucified Him (Mark 15:15-20; Is. 50:6; 53:2-5; Matt. 27:26-31; John 18:22; 19:1-3).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Sen. Dianne Feinstein (CA), Sen. Elizabeth Warren (MA), and Rep. Adam B. Schiff (CA) • Country: Madagascar (15 million) an island in the Indian Ocean off the coast of Mozambique • Major languages: French and Malagasy • Increasingly anti-Christian • 43% witchcraft, ancestor worship, and some astrology; 21% Protestant; 21% Roman Catholic; 2% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Pray that people will come to a knowledge of the Lord God (I Kings 18:36-37).
Optional Reading: Ephesians 5

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Job 34 – 37
For His eyes are upon the ways of man, and He seeth all his goings. There is no darkness, nor shadow of death, where the workers of iniquity may hide themselves (Job 34:21-22).

Elihu's speech went on for a few chapters in the Book of Job. There are a number of definite truths in the words he spoke to Job and his three friends. Elihu had many things he felt he needed to share.

The verses above tell a great truth about the power of God and the inability of man to hide from God. The relationship between God and man is very simple and yet complex at the same time. Obviously, that seems like a great contradiction.

These verses are a good place to start in a brief examination of that relationship. God created man. That is no great secret to anyone. Most unbelievers will even admit to the understanding that God created all things. The only ones that will argue this fact are the atheists and evolutionists. Scripture, however, is very clear. For by Him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by Him, and for Him (Col. 1:16). The Word of God pretty much destroys any opposition to this fact.

If there is agreement that God created man, then there is no one who knows man better than God. Who could know an object better than the builder? If a building has a problem, they call in the architect who designed it. If you are trying to cook from a recipe and can't get it right, you want to talk to the person who made the dish in the first place. This is just common sense.

There is no wonder then mankind is incapable of concealing anything about themselves from the Creator. God can look deep into our minds and hearts to read our innermost thoughts and feelings. Why do we even try to hide from God? They could not hide themselves in the Garden of Eden. And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden. And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou? (Gen. 3:8-9).

Adam and Eve tried to hide their sin from the Lord, but it was impossible. God found them, and their sin was revealed. There is no chance of hiding who we are or what we do from God. The question is, why even try? God wants to forgive us of all that we have done wrong. It is the desire of His heart to have His relationship with mankind restored to its proper place. This can happen by us allowing the redemptive power of Christ to touch our hearts and change our lives.

In whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace (Eph. 1:7).

Word Studies:

34:36 wicked men, evil men; 36:8 holden, held fast; 36:16 no straitness, no restraint or restriction; 36:23 enjoined, appointed; 36:33 The noise thereof sheweth concerning it, the cattle also concerning the vapour, His thunder announces the coming storm; even the cattle make known its approach; 37:10 straitened, frozen; 37:22 terrible, awesome.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who watches how we live and what we do (Job 34:21). The Lord keeps His eyes on the righteous (I Pet. 3:12).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Justice Clarence Thomas • Country: Malawi (10 million) in southeastern Africa • Major languages: English and Chichewa • Religious freedom • 34% Protestant; 23% Roman Catholic; 16% Muslim; 16% animist; 4% cults • Prayer Suggestion: Pray, in faith, for God to work a miracle (II Kings 4:33-34).
Optional Reading: Ephesians 6

Memory Verse for the Week: Lamentations 3:22-23

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Job 38 – 40
Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it? (Job 38:4-5).

A very large portion of the Book of Job is the conversation between Job and his friends. Each one of his friends took his turn making claims and accusations as to why everything was happening to Job. Then in turn, Job would respond to what each one had said.

The conversation goes on for quite awhile. At times, it even seems a little redundant. This is not saying the Word of God is redundant. The conversation itself is because time after time these friends keep insisting Job must have hidden sin, and Job defends himself against the claim.

There are several good reasons the Bible shares this entire conversation. One reason is to show that many times we may have to stand against the testimonies of those finding fault when there is none. It could seem endless to us, but sooner or later, it will draw to a close. Another lesson in the conversation is to be on guard against the things the friends accused Job of having done.

God interrupts Elihu's lengthy words, and finally Job and his friends are silent. Then, God chooses to speak. Some might feel, with all that was being said, that God should have interrupted sooner. The things God has to say are to Job. Job wanted an answer from God, and he was going to receive one. Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you (Matt. 7:7).

The Almighty God responded to Job with a lengthy list of questions. All these questions are related to the awesome power of God. They also reveal the smallness of man in the grand scheme of things. In the verses here, God challenges Job to emphasize the fact that God alone was present when God created all things. Our God is truly omnipotent. And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth (Matt. 28:18).

Many might believe this is a hard speech from a wrathful God. However, that is not the tone here at all. It is more appropriately recognized as the voice of a Heavenly Father speaking to His earthly son about lessons he needs to learn. Job needed to understand that man has no understanding of the ways of God. Also, even though man can never completely understand God, the providence of God will always move with man's best interest at heart.

Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask Him (Matt. 6:8).

Thought for Today:

Since God has spoken, we need to pay close attention (to His Word).
Word Studies:

38:1 Pleiades, the seven stars that stood for the 7 influences of spring; bands of Orion, storms; 38:9 swaddlingband, wrapping; 38:12 dayspring, dawn; 39:9 unicorn, wild ox; 40:4 vile, insignificant; 40:21 fens, marshes.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who laid the foundations of the earth (Job 38:4). By Christ, God created our universe (Heb. 1:1-2). All things were made by Him; and without Him was not any thing made that was made (John 1:1-3).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Karen Hawkins • Country: Malaysia (22.7 million) in Southeast Asia • Major languages: Malay and English • All Christian witness to Muslims is illegal • 58% Muslim; 23% Buddhist/Taoist/Chinese; 8% Christian; 6% Hindu; 5% Sikh/Animist/Other • Prayer Suggestion: Pray, remembering that there is no one like God (II Kings 19:14-15,19).
Optional Reading: Philippians 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 1 – 9
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful (Ps. 1:1).

The Word of God is very clear about the relationship that we as believers should have with those who do not follow the Lord. We are not to tie ourselves closely in any way with an unbeliever. This includes any type of close partnership. That means business as well as personal. Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? (II Cor. 6:14).

This is not to say we are to completely avoid unbelievers. This is not even to say we cannot befriend unbelievers. The Word of God teaches quite the opposite. We are to reach out to unbelievers and show compassion to those who don't have a relationship with Christ. Jesus himself set the example for this, time and time again. The Pharisees even questioned Him for being with sinners, but He showed them why this was part of his ministry. And it came to pass, as Jesus sat at meat in the house, behold, many publicans and sinners came and sat down with Him and His disciples. And when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto his disciples, Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners? But when Jesus heard that, He said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick. But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance (Matt. 9:10-13).

Many may use today's verse and others like it to say we need to completely separate ourselves from sinners. That is clearly not what the Scripture is saying. Without the believers sharing Christ, how is the world to know of His marvelous grace?

The Scriptures are simply giving a warning about seeking advice from unbelievers. We should never seek counsel from anyone who does not walk with the Lord. This should make total sense to the believer. Why would we seek advice from someone who is not and never has walked the same path that we are walking? It would be like asking someone who just moved to your town from another country for local directions. They have no clue as to the way you need to go. Obviously, the unbeliever does not seek God's approval in their decisions. The believer should always be looking to the Lord for the way to go.

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me (John 14:6).

Thought for Today:

To be blessed of God we need to meditate on the Word of God day and night.
Word Studies:

2:2 Anointed (One), Messiah (Hebrew) and Christ (Greek); 5:6 leasing, lies.
Christ Revealed:

As the Son of God (Ps. 2:7). God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life (John 3:16; Acts 13:33; Heb. 1:5).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Country: Mali (10 million) in West Africa • Major languages: French and Bambara • Religious freedom despite Muslim majority • 81% Muslim; 17% animism and spirit worship; 2% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Pray and then obediently do what God says (I Chron. 14:14-16).
Optional Reading: Philippians 3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 10 – 17
To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good (Ps. 14:1).

Webster's dictionary defines a "fool" as "a person lacking in judgment or prudence". This is the definition for a person that denies the existence of God. This verse clearly defines such a person as a "fool" and Webster gives the definition of a "fool".

In looking at the definition, the person who does not believe in God lacks judgment. The lack of judgment would mean the making of decisions would prove very difficult. This person would find it very hard to make a right choice in life.

This really is not so hard to believe. The believer has the guidance of the Holy Spirit and the Word of God readily available to them to aid in every choice they must make. Those who have placed their trust in Christ do not have to just hope for the best. They serve and belong to the Best. Because of this, helpful guidance is there for them when needed. Howbeit when He, the Spirit of truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth: for He shall not speak of Himself; but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall He speak: and He will shew you things to come (John 16:13). Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path (Ps. 119:105).

The Word of God goes on to describe the one who denies God as "corrupt". This is not to say that every person that does not believe in God is a criminal or dangerous person. For some of them, the only person they are a danger to is themselves. Their decision in denying the existence of God will doom their soul for all eternity. Without trust in Christ, their ultimate destination will be hell. How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard Him (Heb. 2:3).

It is sometimes too easy to look at those who deny the truth that God is real and forget to have compassion for them. It is sometimes even said "they are getting what they deserve". The truth to that statement would be that we all deserve to spend our eternity with them. Who can say they deserve heaven without Jesus? There are none that can. It is only through Christ that we are made worthy. Therefore, let us always pray that the Lord will continue to work on the hearts of those who do not believe so that they might trust in Him.

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved (Rom. 10:9).

Thought for Today:

Since Christ Jesus was resurrected, we too share that same blessed hope.
Word Studies:

10:5 puffeth at, makes light of; 10:13 contemn, defy; despise; 11:3 foundations, principles of society based on the Word of God.
Christ Revealed:

In the prophecy that God would not allow His Holy One to see decay (Ps. 16:10). This foretells the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 2:25-27; 13:35-39). When Jesus spoke His Revelation to John, He declared: I am He that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death (Rev. 1:18).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: Sponsored by Ethel Adeloye • Government Officials: Sen. Kelly Ayotte (NH), Rep. Mike Honda (CA), Rep. Jeff Miller (FL), and Rep. David Scott (GA) • Country: Malta (388,000) about 60 miles south of Sicily • Major languages: Maltese and English • Religious freedom • 97% Christian; 1.7% non-Religious/other; 1% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Seek God in prayer continually and depend on His strength (I Chron. 16:11).
Optional Reading: Philippians 4

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 18 – 22
The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies (Ps. 18:2-3).

These verses are an awesome testimony to how David felt about the Lord. David, even at a young age, had seen God work in and through his life. David truly knew of what God was capable. And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth (Rev. 19:6).

David had seen God work in these ways in his life. God had been a defender for him as he faced the lion and the bear as a simple shepherd that was protecting his family's flock. Not only did God protect David, He gave David the victory over the beasts.

David had seen God work in these ways in his life. God had been a defender for him as he faced the lion and the bear as a simple shepherd that was protecting his family's flock. Not only did God protect David, He gave David the victory over the beasts. But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed (James 1:25).

David not only had experienced God's empowerment in battle, but he knew all about God's hand of protection. King Saul had wanted David dead because of the jealousy he felt over the people's love for David. He hunted David with all that was at his disposal. The Lord guided David continually throughout this time. God kept David out of Saul's reach until Saul was killed in battle.

God had a plan for David to rule over all of I srael. Therefore, He protected David and kept him safe for the task that was ahead. David never abused this protection by rushing foolishly into battles before he sought God's Will. He understood the great gift of God's protection and honored it by preserving it forever here in God's Word. Likewise, we too are protected by our faith in Christ.

Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked (Eph. 6:16).

Thought for Today:

The Word of God is like precious treasure ready to enrich one's life.
Word Studies:

18:2 horn of my salvation, my strong deliverer; 18:26 froward (first use), crooked; froward (second use), opposed; 18:45 close places, fortresses or strongholds; 22:5 confounded, put to shame; 22:7 shoot out the lip, ridicule, hurl insults; 22:17 tell, count.
Christ Revealed:

As the One to whom the Psalms refer when they speak of the nails that pierced His hands and feet on the cross and the parting of His clothing (Ps. 22:16,18). When they had crucified Him, they parted His garments, casting lots upon them, what every man should take (Mark 15:24; also Matt. 27:35; Luke 23:34; John 19:18).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: Sponsored by Mrs. Wallace B. Rummel • Government Officials: Sen. Carl Levin (MI), Rep. Donna Edwards (MD), Rep. Mike Fitzpatrick (PA), and Rep. Ed Pastor (AZ) • Country: Mauritania (2.6 million) in western Africa • Major language: Hasaniya Arabic • Islamic state with no mission work allowed • 99+% Muslim (predominantly Sunni); .2% Christian (predominantly foreigners) • Prayer Suggestion: Humbly kneel before the Lord in prayer and worship the Lord (II Chron. 6:13).
Optional Reading: Colossians 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 23 – 30
The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? (Ps. 27:1).

Today, just as in yesterday's devotion, David knows well of what he is speaking. There were many times in life that he had much reason to be fearful for his own life. It would have been easy to cower in fear from Goliath as Israel's army did, but David knew the Lord was in control.

Who are we, as believers, to be fearful? What thing is there in the world that those that belong to Christ cannot stand against? There is no person or thing in this world that we need to be fearful of. For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind (II Tim. 1:7).

The scripture is clear on the fact that fear is an enemy to the believer. The devil uses fear to coerce mankind into doing his will. He desires people to be afraid of him. Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour (I Pet. 5:8). The Scripture tells us here to keep our thoughts clear in order to avoid being deceived into being fearful of the devil. We belong to Christ. The Holy Spirit lives inside our hearts. The devil cannot overcome us. Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world (I John 4:4).

There is only one person of whom the believer needs to be fearful. That is the Lord. This fear we should have for the Lord should be a reverent type fear. We need to have great respect for the Lord and His authority.

Those who are not believers should have this same fear as well. However, the fear that the sinner has should be even more intense. The believer has the assurance of salvation from the Lord. The unbeliever is one breath away from judgment. Their only hope is in Christ and His free offer of salvation. Dying without Christ is truly something of which you can be fearful. With his verses, he expressed his faith in this mighty God and gave us his reason why it is only reasonable to trust in such a God.

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear Him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell (Matt. 10:28).

Thought for Today:

True wisdom will teach us that, like sheep, we need the Good Shepherd.
Word Studies:

26:1 slide, waver, fall; 26:2 reins, desires and thoughts; 26:4 dissemblers, pretenders, deceitful ones; 28:2 holy oracle, Mercy Seat in the Holy of Holies; 28:3 mischief, evil.
Christ Revealed:

As our Shepherd (Ps. 23). Christ called Himself the Good Shepherd and vowed to lay down His life for the sheep (John 10:11).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Virginia Foxx (NC) and Rep. Collin Peterson (MN) • Country: Mauritius (1 million) 500 miles east of Madagascar • Major languages: English and Creole • Limited religious freedom • 50% Hindu; 27% Roman Catholic; 17% Muslim; 5% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Pray and praise God for His faithfulness and mercy in keeping all His promises (II Chron. 6:14-15).
Optional Reading: Colossians 2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 31 – 35
Let me not be ashamed, O LORD; for I have called upon thee: let the wicked be ashamed, and let them be silent in the grave (Ps. 31:17).

Those who belong to Christ have no reason to be ashamed. There is nothing greater that can happen to an individual than to have the redemptive power of Jesus Christ touch their life. Nothing could be better or more positive than knowing you have been saved by the grace of the Son of God. There is no better feeling than knowing your eternal home has been bought and paid for by the blood of the Lamb. Praise God! How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God? (Heb. 9:14).

That may all sound a bit like preaching. As believers in Christ, we should find it hard not to want to tell it to the entire world. We are truly the most blessed people in the world. Why shouldn't we say that?

What condition does today's verse set for not being ashamed? Those who have called on the name of the Lord. That includes all of us who have had our sins erased by the forgiveness of Jesus. And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful Witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the Prince of the kings of the earth. Unto Him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in His own blood (Rev. 1:5).

The wondrous miracle of having our sins forgiven can only come from God. There is no other way to have our past mistakes erased. With Jesus, we get a fresh start and a new life. As far as the east is from the west, so far hath He removed our transgressions from us (Ps. 103:12). Therefore we are buried with Him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life (Rom. 6:4).

Today's verse also clearly tells who should be ashamed. The psalmist records that the wicked should be ashamed. The wicked rely on their own devices to get themselves through life. Although at times their plans may seem to work, it is only temporary. The day is going to come when the frailty of relying on anything but God will be exposed for what it is. That it is a flawed plan that can only take them to death, the grave and finally to hell. In hell they will wish they had trusted God. He could have carried them into eternity.

That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord (Rom. 5:21).

Thought for Today:

Can you say with David, I will bless the Lord at all times, His praise shall continually be in my mouth (Ps 34:1).
Word Studies:

31:4 privily, secretly; 31:6 lying vanities, all other gods; 31:8 shut me up, given me over; 32:2 guile, deceit; 32:3 roaring, complaining; 35:12 spoiling, determined to take my life; 35:15 abjects, slanderers.
Christ Revealed:

In the prophecy that not one of His bones would be broken as recorded concerning His crucifixion (Ps. 34:20). These things were done, that the Scripture should be fulfilled, A bone of Him shall not be broken (John 19:36).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Country: Mexico (99.7 million) in North America • Major language: Spanish • Religious freedom • 89% Catholic; 6% Protestant; 3.5% None; 1.5% Other (Orthodox, Muslim, Jewish, Baha'i) • Prayer Suggestion: Humble yourself, pray, and seek the will of God as you read His Word (II Chron. 7:14).
Optional Reading: Colossians 3

Memory Verse for the Week: John 6:44

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk