Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Nehemiah 11 – 12
And at the dedication of the wall of Jerusalem they sought the Levites out of all their places, to bring them to Jerusalem, to keep the dedication with gladness, both with thanksgivings, and with singing, with cymbals, psalteries, and with harps (Neh. 12:27).

There was a great celebration after the completion of the wall of Jerusalem. There was definitely much reason to celebrate. They had read from the histories and the books of the law and experienced a national revival.

The Lord had once again blessed the nation of Israel. God touched the hearts of foreign kings to allow the reconstruction in Jerusalem. God had also raised up leaders like Nehemiah and Ezra out of virtual obscurity.

The foundation was laid both physically and spiritually. The work had been done on the walls of the city and in the hearts of the people. The people had looked to the past and learned from it. They had seen their present state and repented of it. For the first time in a long time, the people of Israel had reason to look to the future with hope. For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope (Rom. 15:4).

The call was placed throughout the land. The Levites were all to come to Jerusalem. They were being brought in so the people might be atoned for, and the walls and gates could be prayed over for purification.

We celebrate for many reasons in life. Birthdays, anniversaries and holidays just scratch the service of our reasons for celebration. All these are perfectly fine reasons for a party or get together. We should celebrate the lives and special occasions of our loved ones.

However, there is an even better reason to celebrate. The greatest celebration should come when one who was lost in sin comes to know Christ as Savior. One who was on his way to hell has been set free and now has a place reserved in heaven. Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins (James 5:20).

We should truly rejoice over the salvation of a soul. We should also be burdened for those who are not saved. The truth of life is that many lives will end today. Some will pass with an assurance of heaven. Others will face eternal death in hell's prison.

How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard Him (Heb. 2:3).

Thought for Today:

The Lord of glory deserves our unceasing praise and thanksgiving.
Word Studies:

11:16 outward business, external business of the Temple; 11:24 was at the king's hand, was advisor, administrator of the king; 12:44 that waited, who officiated, ministered, kept the watches
Christ Revealed:

By the priests and Levites who purified (sanctified) themselves and the people (Neh. 12:30). Christ our High Priest, through His perfect sacrifice, purified His believers by His Word. Now ye are clean through the Word which I have spoken unto you (John 15:3; 17:17).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Ben Wallace • Internet Radio: Sponsored by Duane A. Estey • Government Official: Lynn Jenkins (KS) Country: Kuwait (2 million) in the northeastern corner of the Arabian Peninsula • Major languages: Arabic and English • Some religious freedom • 95% Muslim; 4% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Intercede for others (Ex. 32:31-32).
Optional Reading: II Corinthians 12

Memory Verse for the Week: Ecclesiastes 5:4

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Nehemiah 13
And I made treasurers over the treasuries, Shelemiah the priest, and Zadok the scribe, and of the Levites, Pedaiah: and next to them was Hanan the son of Zaccur, the son of Mattaniah: for they were counted faithful, and their office was to distribute unto their brethren - (Neh. 13:13).

Many offices had not been filled during the time of captivity. The Levites had been scattered everywhere. There would have been no one to serve even if things had been operating normally. That is why they had searched for the Levites to bring them home to Jerusalem.

Concerning the office of the treasurers, the Temple was destroyed and the Levites all but gone. There was probably very little need for a treasurer even if someone would have been around worthy to fill the office. The temple treasurer had been taken by Nebuchadnezzar when Babylon captured Israel.

It had to have been considered a great honor by these men to be selected for these positions. There was significant responsibility that came along with these offices. The Bible even records that the fact these men were found to be faithful was the reason they were found worthy to serve in this capacity. One day at the end of life's journey, all those deemed faithful will receive the ultimate reward. His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord (Matt. 25:23).

Depending on the person's ability to handle responsibility, sometimes the task can be great or small. Individuals, churches and businesses many times place people in offices who are not yet proven faithful. Sometimes this happens because of personal relationships or because the person "looks" the part. Sometimes this ends in a bad situation. Using godly wisdom, a believer can avoid this pitfall. If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him (James 1:5).

Therefore, let us all who are believers pray to be counted faithful to serve the Lord. Is there a greater honor in life than to be chosen by God to work to build His kingdom? Most will agree the answer is that there is no greater honor. Are you being faithful to the call of God?

These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for He is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with Him are called, and chosen, and faithful (Rev. 17:14).

Thought for Today:

We need to be nonconformists like Nehemiah, Daniel, Peter, and Paul.
Word Studies:

13:17 contended with, confronted, rebuked; 13:26 outlandish, foreign idol worshiper; 13:30 strangers, idol-worshiping foreigners; wards of, duties for.
Christ Revealed:

By Nehemiah who cleansed the priests and Levites and defined their duties (Neh. 13:30). Christ cleanses us from all our sins when we confess them (I John 1:9). Through Him we have been made a royal priesthood to serve the Lord (I Pet. 2:9).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Kevin Jennings • Government Officials: Rep. Mike Conoway (TX) and Rep. Charles Rangel (NY) Country: Kyrgyzstan (4.7 million) eastern central Asia • Major languages: Kirghiz and Russian • Religious freedom • 75% Muslim; 20% Russian Orthodox; 5% Other (Jewish, Buddhist, Catholic, Protestant) • Prayer Suggestion: Ask God to show you His ways (Ex. 33:13).
Optional Reading: II Corinthians 13

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Esther 1 – 3

And the king loved Esther above all the women, and she obtained grace and favour in his sight more than all the virgins; so that he set the royal crown upon her head, and made her queen instead of Vashti (Est. 2:17).

King Ahasuerus had put away Queen Vashti for disobedience to his royal orders. She had refused to appear upon his request to present herself before all that had attended a royal feast. He put her away under the advice of his counsellors. They were concerned that the women of the kingdom would hear of this and become disobedient themselves.

As time passed, the king longed for a wife to replace Vashti. The king's servants suggested they bring up beautiful virgins from which he could choose a new wife. The word went throughout the land that a new queen was being sought, and the virgins should be brought to the palace for the process of purification.

Mordecai was a Jew who had been taken captive when Jerusalem was captured by Nebuchadnezzar. He had a cousin whom he had raised as his own daughter named Haddasah, or Esther. It was decided to bring Esther as one of the candidates to be the new queen. Esther came to the palace with the other young women. They were presented before Hegai who oversaw this process

Esther found favor with Hegai. It is clear here that God was already working on behalf of His people. From Esther 2:9, it would seem that Hegai advanced Esther ahead in the selection process. God's chosen will often find themselves with human assistance when needed. And delivered him out of all his afflictions, and gave him favour and wisdom in the sight of Pharaoh king of Egypt; and he made him governor over Egypt and all his house (Acts 7:10).

All during this time Esther had kept secret that she was a Jew. This was done on the advice of Mordecai. It is not known for sure the reasoning behind this. Later, it is obvious that God's plan for the protection of His people was at work. It is often God's plan to place certain people in certain places. For this cause have I sent unto you Timotheus, who is my beloved son, and faithful in the Lord, who shall bring you into remembrance of my ways which be in Christ, as I teach every where in every church (I Cor. 4:17).

And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul (Acts 16:14).

Thought for Today:

Every believer has God-given ability that God wants to use for His glory.
Word Studies:

1:10 chamberlains, officials; 2:16 Tebeth, compares with our December/January; 3:8 to suffer them, to let them remain; 3:13 Adar, compares with our February/March; 3:15 posts, special messengers.
Christ Revealed:

By Mordecai, who adopted Esther (Esth. 2:15). We are adopted into the family of God by Jesus Christ (Eph. 1:5; I John 3:1). Ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus (Gal. 3:26).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Clarence Rathbone • Internet Radio: sponsored by Mrs. Helen McDaniel • Government Officials: Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard (CA) and Rep. Mark Amodei (NV) Country: Laos (5 million) in Southeast Asia • Major languages: Lao and French • Great suppression of all Christian activities • 58% Buddhist; 33% belief in spirits and ancestor worship; 2% Christian; 1% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Bow before the Lord in a godly reverence as you pray and worship (Ex. 34:8).
Optional Reading: Galatians 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Esther 4 – 7
For if thou altogether holdest thy peace at this time, then shall there enlargement and deliverance arise to the Jews from another place; but thou and thy father's house shall be destroyed: and who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this - (Est. 4:14)?

The providence of God is clearly shown in the Book of Esther. This is not to say that we don't see God's providence throughout the entire Word of God. There are examples of such from the beginnings of the Old Testament in the Book of Genesis until the close of the New Testament in the Book of Revelation. The Book of Esther simply shows providence at work to save the people of Israel in one clear timeline of events.

The Lord began this work all the way back when Nebuchanezzar and Babylon took the people of Israel into captivity. Mordecai and his family were obviously part of the Jews that were taken to a strategic place in Babylon to provide service for the king. This placed Mordecai where he would need to be.

The fact that Mordecai remained here shows God at work. As time went on, another Babylonian king rose up. The Babylonians were then conquered by the Medo-Persians. Mordecai had seen the reigns of Cyrus and Darius pass by and now was ruled over by Ahasuerus. God truly had a purpose for this Jewish family. For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth (Rom. 9:11).

God then began to show the same workings in the young cousin that Mordecai had raised as a daughter. Esther found favor first with the king's steward, Hegai, who was in charge of the king's women. She then found favor with the king himself as he loved her above all others. She became his queen.

The wicked Haman had no idea the queen was Jewish. This was also part of God's providence. Surely, if this had been public knowledge, Haman would have had a much more deceptive plan to destroy the Jews. God knew well beforehand what Haman would try to do and set in motion a plan to stop it. And He that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because He maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God (Rom. 8:27).

Mordecai challenged Esther. She could save her people by revealing herself as a Jew. The words "for such a time as this" can ring just as true for us today. God's providence is just as often at work in our lives. We just need to trust God to get us to the place He needs us to be, and trust that in His timing He will reveal His will and purpose for the task He has for us.

God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will? (Heb. 2:4).

Thought for Today:

Although many oppose God, He calls you and me to stand up for Him.
Word Studies:

4:1 rent, tore, as an act of grief and mourning; 6:13 be of the seed of the Jews, is of Jewish origin; 7:4 countervail, justify, compensate, or make up for; 7:5 that durst, who dares to.
Christ Revealed:

In the honor shown to Mordecai as he was led through the streets (Esth. 6:10-11). Jesus was greatly honored in His triumphal entry into Jerusalem (Matt. 21:8-9).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Pam Murton • Government Officials: Rep. Jerrold Nadler (NY) and Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (DC) Country: Latvia (2.48 million) eastern coast of Baltic Sea in northeastern Europe • Major languages: Latvian and Russian • Religious freedom • 20% Protestant (mainly Lutheran); 20% Roman Catholic; 15% Orthodox; .9% Jewish; .4% Muslim; 43.7% Atheist/Agnostics/Other • Prayer Suggestion: Ask for the Lord's blessings and peace upon His children (Num. 6:24-27).
Optional Reading: Galatians 2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Esther 8 – 10
And the king took off his ring, which he had taken from Haman, and gave it unto Mordecai. And Esther set Mordecai over the house of Haman - (Est. 8:2).

God had used Mordecai greatly. The course of events of his life had placed him in situations where he could make great differences in the world around him. Mordecai could have decided to go in various different directions in his life. God chose a man that would choose to walk down a godly path.

One of the early decisions Mordecai made would change his life forever. He did the moral and godly thing in taking in his orphan cousin and raising her as his daughter. His adoption of Esther was a decision that had an impact on his life for years to come. Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thy heart: So shalt thou find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man (Prov. 3:3-4).

The next choice Mordecai made would change Esther's life forever. King Ahasuerus was seeking a new queen. He had put Queen Vashti away for disobedience to the king's orders. There was a call for young women to come before the king so he could select a new queen. Esther was brought to the palace. The Lord had His blessings on her. The king loved her and made her his new queen. The Lord blesses those who are obedient to Him. Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing (I Pet. 3:9).

Mordecai's next choice changed the life of King Ahasuerus in that he saved his life. Two of the king's servants were angry with him to the point they wanted to attack and maybe even kill him. Mordecai heard these threats, and he could have chosen to ignore them. After all, this king held his people captive. He did the right thing in telling Esther so she could warn the king. The servants were hung for their crime before having a chance to harm the king. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you (Matt. 5:44).

The last one of Mordecai's choices we look at saved a nation. His mourning and pleading with Queen Esther to stop Haman's plan to slaughter the Jews was instrumental in her petitioning the king. Haman was hung on his own gallows. The Jews were spared. Mordecai was rewarded for the good he had done. Although the reward was grand, the greatest reward for following God comes at the end of life.

Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets (Luke 6:23).

Thought for Today:

The Christian's great consolation: God always wins in the end.
Word Studies:

8:3 put away the mischief, avert the evil; device, scheme; 8:10 posts, couriers; 9:4 waxed greater and greater, became increasingly popular and powerful.
Christ Revealed:

By Mordecai, who was exalted from servanthood to a position of honor and glory next unto (the) king (Esth. 8:2,15; 10:3). His life illustrated Christian conduct. Christ came to earth as a servant and was exalted to the right hand of God (Phil. 2:5-11; Mark 16:19).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: Sponsored by Lt. Walter and Penny Swanson • Government Officials: Rep. Steny Hoyer (MD), Rep. Bob Gibbs (OH) and Rep. James Sensenbrenner, Jr. (WI) Country: Lebanon (4.3 million) in the Middle East • Major languages: Arabic and French • Limited religious freedom • 55% Muslim (Shi'a, Sunni); 41% Christian (Maronite, Orthodox, Melchite, Protestant, Chaldean, Assyrian, Syriac); 3% Druze; 1% Others (Jewish, Baha'i, Alawi, Jehovah's Witness) • Prayer Suggestion: Thank God for His mercy (Num. 12:11-14).
Optional Reading: Galatians 3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Job 1 – 4
And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD (Job 1:21).

The words of Job in this verse are a testimony to the true value of worldly things. This man, in a short period of time, had almost everything of physical value taken from him. Not only that, he had even lost his servants and his own children.

The understanding that Job demonstrated would be tested greatly. He would not only deal with these great losses, but he would face challenges to his faith on every side. He would even be challenged to give up on God.

The true believer in Christ knows that true value is in spiritual things and not physical ones. Job clearly believed this to be a truth. Even after everything that had transpired, he still said "blessed be the name of the LORD".

During times of loss, it is sometimes very difficult to see things this way. This is even true of the believer. Although in difficult situations we should be even more inclined to look towards the throne of God for answers, we know that is not always the case. At times, we are overcome by the trials that are placed before us. We need to understand it is part of our walk with God to go through both good times and bad times. Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you (I Pet. 4:12).

When these difficult days come to our lives, we must learn to place our trust and dependence in God and His Word. The Word of God will always have words of comfort, assurance and advice for those who seek help from the Lord. Times may seem hard. The way may seem impossible. However, the Bible clearly explains the believer can and must overcome. We may be in the midst of the fight, but the ultimate victory is ours. We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed (II Cor. 4:8-9).

We may experience loss in this life. In an economic downturn we might lose out jobs, our retirement savings or even our homes. This is a true hardship. If we look at these through the scope of eternity, it makes these hardships a little easier to live with. A new job, an extension on a mortgage and a change in the market are all within God's power. In the end equation, the final destination of the soul is really what is most important in life.

For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? (Matt. 16:26).

Thought for Today:

The Devil continually looks for ways to destroy our faith in God.
Word Studies:

1:1 eschewed, avoided; 1:20 rent, tore; mantle, robe; 2:8 potsherd, piece of broken pottery; 3:16 untimely birth, stillborn; 3:24 roarings, grief, groanings; 4:2 assay, attempts; 4:4 upholden, helped, upheld.
Christ Revealed:

In the conversation between Satan and God Almighty (Job 1:6-12). We can see the meaning of Christ's warning to Peter that Satan wanted to sift him as wheat (Luke 22:31). It is comforting to know that Satan cannot test us beyond the will of God.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Richard Larsen (WA) Rep. Jim Bridenstine (OK) and Rep. Adam Smith (WA) • Country: Lesotho (2 million) within the east-central part of the Republic of South Africa • Major languages: Sesotho and English • Limited religious freedom • 43% Roman Catholic; 30% Protestant; 6% ancestor worship, divination, and spirit-possession cults • Prayer Suggestion: Intercede in prayer for others (Num. 14:13-19).
Optional Reading: Galatians 4

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Job 5 – 8

If thou wouldest seek unto God betimes, and make thy supplication to the Almighty; If thou wert pure and upright; surely now he would awake for thee, and make the habitation of thy righteousness prosperous (Job 8:5-6).

Satan had come before the Lord to attack Job. He said if Job was not being so blessed by the Lord that he would not serve God. God gave the enemy permission to attack Job, but he would not be allowed to kill him.

Job suffered terribly during this persecution from the enemy. In a short period of time, Job had lost much of his worldly goods. Worse than that, Job had lost all his children.

In times like these, a person needs some encouragement. They need a friend to come around and say something to the effect that it is all going to be alright. You will normally see a good Christian brother or sister step into these situations to pray with someone who is hurting. They will let them know that God is still here and that He will not abandon them. Blessed be God . . . Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God (II Cor. 1:3-4).

That was not the sort of friends that Job had. Instead of offering support and encouragement, they attacked and accused Job of having done something horribly wrong to bring on the things that were happening to him. In their minds, there was little possibility that Job was living within the will of God or surely none of this would have been transpiring. This is reminiscent of a future conversation between Jesus and the disciples. And His disciples asked Him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him (John 9:2-3).

These friends of Job never considered the fact that there could have been something much bigger happening there than their minds could conceive. They were so sure that this had to have been punishment for some sort of sin Job had committed, that they never gave a thought to the fact that this could all have been happening so that God's great glory could be shown.

There are times that those in our lives or even we ourselves may experience difficult times or great loss. We should never be quick to assume that we have God all figured out. He could be working something hidden that we will understand in God's time. We can only do our part. Trust in God and support those who need help.

We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves (Rom. 15:1).

Thought for Today:

It is difficult not to respond in kind to those who misjudge us, but God will enable us as we seek Him
Word Studies:

5:12 devices, plans, plotting; enterprise, schemes; 5:13 froward, deceitful; carried head long, frustrated; 5:18 maketh sore, inflicts pain; 6:3 swallowed up, rash; without restraint; 7:21 sleep in the dust, be dead in the grave; 8:5 seek . . . betimes, seek with earnestness; 8:11 flag, reed grass.
Christ Revealed:

Through Job's sorrowful condition (Job 7:1-6). Christ was known as a Man of sorrows . . . acquainted with grief (Is. 53:3). On the cross, separated from God in His humanity, Jesus felt the pain of that separation as well as the pain and suffering for all the sins of mankind for all time (Mark 15:34).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Robert Hurt (VA) • Country: Liberia (3 million) in West Africa • Major languages: English and more than 20 local languages of the Niger-Congo language group • Religious freedom • 41% ancestor worship and witchcraft; 21% Muslim; 13% Protestant; 2% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Intercede in prayer for others (Num. 21:7).
Optional Reading: Galatians 5

Memory Verse for the Week: Ecclesiastes 12:13

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Job 9 – 12

He discovereth deep things out of darkness, and bringeth out to light the shadow of death (Job 12:22).

With all that Job had been through, he was coming to a deeper understanding of God. Sometimes, it will take a trial of our faith for this to happen. The majority of the time, difficult situations will either draw us closer to God or wrongly we will push Him away. We should always be pulling closer to the Lord whether in good times or bad times. Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, My soul shall have no pleasure in him. But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul (Heb. 10:38-39).

Job proclaims a great truth about the power of God and how He relates to the human race. God formed man with His own hands. It is the breath of God that gave life to us.

We are formed in the very likeness of God. And God said, Let Us make man in Our image, after Our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth (Gen. 1:26). What does this mean? Some say it's simply that God has two arms, two legs and so on. Others would state that we are tripartite in nature just as God is. There is God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. Man is similar in that he is made up of body, soul and spirit (see I Thess. 5:23).

God knows His creation in a very intimate way. He and He alone can look into the innermost thoughts and feelings of mankind. There is nothing hidden nor anything kept secret from the Almighty God of heaven. And He that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because He maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God (Rom. 8:27).

We should always have an open relationship with our Lord Jesus Christ. Why should we try to conceal our thoughts and feelings from Him? He looks into us and sees them anyway. Jesus would desire to have them shared with Him so He can help us attain the healing and help we need to overcome whatever we face.

If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask Him? (Luke 11:13).

Thought for Today:

Expressing love to an enemy and not hate often changes that one's heart.
Word Studies:

9:33 daysman, mediator; 9:34 rod, chastisement; 10:11 fenced, knit me together; 11:6 exacteth, demands; 11:14 tab-ernacles, dwellings; 11:19 make suit unto thee, seek your favor; 12:19 spoiled, stripped and plundered.
Christ Revealed:

Through the daysman (mediator) that Job longs for (Job 9:33). Christ is the only Mediator between God and (sinful) men (I Tim. 2:5).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Becca Lucio • Internet Radio: Sponsored by Marissa Lee Kelby • Government Officials: Rep. Marcy Kaptur (OH), Rep. Brad Wenstrup (OH), and Rep. Scott Peters (CA) • Country: Libya (5 million) in North Africa • Major languages: Arabic and Italian • No form of Christian witness to Libyans is permitted • 98% Muslim; 2% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Ask for the blessings of God upon your family and home (II Sam. 7:29).
Optional Reading: Galatians 6

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Job 13 – 16
For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease. Though the root thereof wax old in the earth, and the stock thereof die in the ground; Yet through the scent of water it will bud, and bring forth boughs like a plant (Job 14:7-9).

Job is speaking here so eloquently and seriously about death. With all that had happened to him, it would be hard to imagine that death would not have crossed his mind. As a matter of fact, this is not the first time he speaks of it. On another occasion he had spoken of death separating us from the world in which we live (7:9-10).

In these quoted verses, Job is comparing the death of man to the death of a tree or similar vegetation. He speaks of the fact that if a tree or plant is cut down, but you leave the stem or trunk in the ground, then this tree or plant could regrow and come back to life. Death is not final for this tree or plant.

Death for man is a very different thing. When a man dies, he will not return to the life he once had. Man cannot be revived by water or sunlight to live again. And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment (Heb. 9:27).

This is not to say there is no life after death. Job is not saying that at all. The fact is that life after death will not be as life is before death. When a person dies, they face judgment as the aforementioned scripture says.

This judgment is a look at one's life on earth to determine if that person has the blood covering of Christ applied to their life. Following this judgment, those who are without Christ are destined to Hell's eternal prison. Then shall He say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels (Matt. 25:41). Those who have accepted Christ's free gift of forgiveness will be welcomed into heaven. His Lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy Lord (Matt. 25:21).

Death is not the end as many would have us believe. It is only a transition from a temporary existence into a permanent one. However, this temporary existence is very important. The life we live and the choices we make determine whether our names are written in the Lamb's Book of Life, thereby assuring us of our home in heaven.

And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works (Rev. 20:12).

Thought for Today:

Even in times of suffering, God empowers us to be a testimony for Him.
Word Studies:

14:5 days are determined . . . with Thee, allotted time to live depends on You; 15:4 restrainest, hinder; 15:25 strengtheneth himself against the Almighty, defies the Almighty; 15:26 upon the thick bosses of his bucklers, with massive shields; 15:27 collops of fat, figuratively speaking, blinded by self-importance and wealth; 15:29 prolong the perfection thereof, continue the harvest, the abundant crops; 15:34 fire shall consume the tabernacles of bribery, their houses shall be burned with fire; 16:12 broken me asunder, thoroughly crushed me; 16:13 reins, heart and mind – the center of emotions; poureth out my gall, leaves me no hope of life.
Christ Revealed:

Through the smiting of Job (Job 16:10). Christ also was struck by those who ridiculed Him (Matt. 27:29-44; John 18:22-23; 19:2-3; Ps. 22:7-8; 109:25; Is. 53:3-5,7-10).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Rick Hash • Government Officials: Sen. Mike Johanns (NE), Rep. Jerry McNerney (CA), Sen. Jay Rockefeller IV (WV), and Rep. Paul Tonko (NY) • Country: Liechtenstein (32,000) in western Europe • Major languages: German and Alemannic dialect • Religious freedom • 87% Roman Catholic; 12% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to give you discernment and an understanding heart (I Kings 3:9).
Optional Reading: Ephesians 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Job 17 – 20
He hath put my brethren far from me, and mine acquaintance are verily estranged from me. My kinsfolk have failed, and my familiar friends have forgotten me. They that dwell in mine house, and my maids, count me for a stranger: I am an alien in their sight - (Job 19:14).

With all that had happened to Job, there is little wonder that he felt a sense of being abandoned. Much of his family and many of his servants had died, and he had lost the majority of his earthly goods. His friends had no understanding of what was happening to him. Neither did they have any compassion for him.

From the words of this verse, it is obvious that Job feels he is alone when it comes to earthly companionship. In a time like this, some would make the assumption that the godly would encircle this man. It would seem Job would have a continual flow of those desiring to offer a prayer or word of encouragement. After all, this would be the Christ-like thing to do. However, this is many generations before Christ walked the earth.

It would be easy here to spend our time discussing all the scriptural reasons that Job should have had people trying to support him. There is certainly much to be found in the Word of God on the subject. There are many times in God's Word that we are instructed to look after one another's well being. Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ (Gal. 6:2). Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do (I Thes. 5:11).

There is another spiritual lesson that can be applied to our lives from this situation. It is true that Job was all but abandoned by those around him. Not only did he not receive support, his friends and even his family offered nothing but discouragement. Then said his wife unto him, Dost thou still retain thine integrity? curse God, and die (Job 2:9). Even with all this against him, God sustained him through these trials.

There may come a time in our lives where we have to stand alone. There may be a place where God takes us in our walk that requires this. Being in the majority is not always the right thing. God changed this world forever with a small number of people. So, if the circumstances get difficult and you feel alone, be encouraged. God is always on our side.

What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? (Rom. 8:31).

Thought for Today:

As we patiently endure suffering, our testimony for Christ has greater impact on others.
Word Studies:

17:1 My breath is corrupt, My life is ruined; 17:6 a tabret, an object of contempt, ridicule; 17:14 corruption, decay; 17:16 bars of the pit, unseen state; our rest . . . is in the dust, we are buried; 18:9 gin, snare, trap; 18:20 day, fate; tragic end; 19:3 make yourselves strange to me, wrong me; 19:14 familiar, close; 19:17 strange, unbearable, repulsive; 19:19 inward, dearest, intimate; 19:27 reins, heart.
Christ Revealed:

As the Redeemer (Job 19:25). Jesus Christ is our Redeemer. By His death, He provided the required sacrifice to pay for our sins (Acts 20:28; Eph. 1:13-14; Rev. 5:9). Our Saviour Jesus Christ . . . gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from all iniquity (Titus 2:13-14).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Judy McCrary • Government Official: Rep. Trent Franks (AZ) • Country: Lithuania (4 million) eastern coast of Baltic Sea in northeastern Europe • Major languages: Lithuanian and Russian • Limited religious freedom • 80% Roman Catholic; 5% Russian Orthodox; 1% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to bring our nation to repentance (I Kings 8:33-36).
Optional Reading: Ephesians 2

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk