Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read II Chronicles 31 – 33
Highlights:

Hezekiah destroys idols; first-fruits and tithes; Assyria invades Judah; Hezekiah's death; Manasseh's reign; Amon's reign
And he caused his children to pass through the fire in the valley of the son of Hinnom: also he observed times, and used enchantments, and used witchcraft, and dealt with a familiar spirit, and with wizards: he wrought much evil in the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to anger (II Chr. 33:6).

Mannasseh was the most evil king in the history of Judah or Israel. Everything that his father, Hezekiah, had done to bring Judah into obedience to the Lord was undone by Mannasseh. His heart was far from being in service to the Lord.

He brought back the groves and the idols. He worshipped many heathen gods. He even built altars to those false gods in the house of the Lord.

The wickedness of Mannasseh would be felt for many years after his reign of evil ended. One only need to look upon this verse to see the ungodly lifestyle of this king. He truly worked to turn the nation of Judah away from the Lord to the worship of all manner of evil.

Even with the godly heritage of Hezekiah, Mannasseh fell far into the trap of Satan. He chose to go completely against God and serve all manner of false gods. What would cause one who knew of the great works of the Lord to go so far astray? One of the enemies greatest tricks is to blind us to the truth that only comes from God. Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart (Eph. 4:18).

Today's society offers even more enticements of evil than there were in the time of Mannasseh. Psychics and witchcraft have escalated throughout the years. Such things have become an accepted part of society. Some have even turned their evil craft into a multimillion dollar business. The scripture is clear that such practices are rooted in the power of the devil. And it came to pass, as we went to prayer, a certain damsel possessed with a spirit of divination met us, which brought her masters much gain by soothsaying: The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation. And this did she many days. But Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour (Acts 16:16-18).

We must watch and pray to guard ourselves from being drawn into such ungodliness. The devil has deceived many with such evil practices. Many feel there is no harm in dabbling a bit, perhaps checking out their horoscope, numerology or tarot cards. This is just like the mouse who thinks just a nibble of the cheese will surely not spring that trap.

And said, O full of all subtilty and all mischief, thou child of the devil, thou enemy of all righteousness, wilt thou not cease to pervert the right ways of the Lord? (Acts 13:10).

Thought for Today:

Giving in order to gain prosperity from God will never work out, but the Scripture teaches us to give Every man according as he purposeth in his heart (II Cor. 9:7).
Christ Revealed:

By Hezekiah's offering of the king's portion (share) of his substance for the Burnt Offerings (II Chr. 31:3). Burnt Offerings were wholly consumed, symbolic of total surrender, and offered as a sweet savour to the Lord (Lev. 8:28; Num. 15:3). God offered His King's portion in Christ Jesus who, in total surrender on the cross, was wholly consumed, even unto death. Christ . . . hath given Himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling savour (Eph. 5:2).
Word Studies:

31:10 store, abundance; 31:14 oblations, free will offerings; 31:16 courses, assigned tasks; 31:18 set office, appointed office; 31:19 every several city, every city; 32:6 comfortably, encouragingly; 32:8 rested themselves, relied; 32:17 rail on, belittle; denounce; 32:18 affright, frighten; 33:11 fetters, chains.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Steve Israel (NY) • Country: Gabon (1 million) in west-central Africa • Major language: French • Religious freedom • 66% Roman Catholic; 30% Protestant; 3% animism and ancestor worship • Prayer Suggestion: Kneel in a humble spirit of reverence as you pray to the Lord (I Kings 8:54).
Optional Reading: II Corinthians 1

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 119:157

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Chronicles 34 – 36
Highlights:

Josiah's reign; Book of the Law found; fall of Jerusalem; captivity of Judah; decree of Cyrus to rebuild the Temple
For in the eighth year of his reign, while he was yet young, he began to seek after the God of David his father: and in the twelfth year he began to purge Judah and Jerusalem from the high places, and the groves, and the carved images, and the molten images (II Chr. 34:3).

Josiah became king at a young age. He walked in the ways of the Lord throughout his entire reign. He set out to establish things as they were in the days of his great grandfather, Hezekiah.

He took away the idols and the groves. He tore down the altars that were made to the false gods. He set out to follow the commandments and laws of God. Josiah was a man who wanted to be close to God. He that hath My commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth Me: and he that loveth Me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest Myself to him (John 14:21).

Not only did Josiah become king at a young age, he began to move Judah back to a place of serving God at a young age as well. The years recorded in this verse tell the progression of his faith by age. He would have been sixteen years old as he began to seek after God. By the age of twenty, he had begun to tear down and remove all tributes to false gods.

There have been many in the Word of God and in times since that have felt limited in their abilities for one reason or another. Moses felt hindered by his speech patterns. Gideon felt inadequate for the task that was at hand. Esther experienced fear based on past events. The fact is that each of these was chosen by God for a task. As long as they dedicated themselves to God's cause, they could not fail. And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose (Rom. 8:28).

Many today feel the same way about accomplishing something meaningful for the Lord. They may say, "I am too old or young." Others will say, I can't preach, teach, sing or play an instrument. What good could I be to the kingdom of God? The answers to that question are limitless. The first, and most important thing any of us can do is show the love of Christ to others. This will make some of the greatest changes in hearts and lives for Gods' Kingdom. Also keep in mind, any individual can do whatever God calls them to do.

For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another (Gal. 5:13).

Thought for Today:

Meddling in another's business is a form of pride thinking that we know better than anyone how to better handle the situation.
Christ Revealed:

Through the messengers of God who were rejected by His people (II Chr. 36:15-16; compare Is. 53:3; Mark 9:12). Jesus came unto His own (his own people), and His own received Him not (John 1:11; also Matt. 21:42; Mark 8:31; 12:10; Luke 9:22; 17:25; 20:17).
Word Studies:

35:13 sod, boiled; 36:3 put him down, deposed him; condemned, taxed; demanded tribute; 36:10 brother, uncle; 36:15 rising up betimes, early every morning.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Larry Bucshon (IN), and Del. Madeleine Bordallo (Guam) • Country: Gambia (1 million) in West Africa • Major language: English and Mandinka • Religious freedom • 87% Muslim; 10% animism and ancestral spirit worship; 2% Roman Catholic; .7% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Bless the Lord that His Word is absolutely trustworthy (I Kings 8:56).
Optional Reading: II Corinthians 2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezra 1 – 2
Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, that the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah might be fulfilled, the LORD stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, that he made a proclamation throughout all his kingdom, and put it also in writing, saying, Thus saith Cyrus king of Persia, The LORD God of heaven hath given me all the kingdoms of the earth; and he hath charged me to build him an house at Jerusalem, which is in Judah (Ezra 1:1-2).

It could be hard for some to believe that this king of a heathen nation would be used to fulfill the will of God. It might be even more difficult to understand because of the magnitude and importance of the mission from God that Cyrus was being directed to make manifest. The reality of the matter was he was used to help launch the rebuilding of the Temple. The prophet Isaiah predicted Cyrus, He is my shepherd, and shall perform all my pleasure: even saying to Jerusalem, Thou shalt be built; and to the temple, Thy foundation shall be laid (Isa. 44:28).

God is fully capable of using whoever He chooses to accomplish His will. Think of the words in this verse. The spirit of King Cyrus was stirred by God. This king surely had many matters of state to attend to, as any in his place would have. However, God turned Cyrus' heart towards God's business and made it a top priority in Cyrus' life. He chose to follow God's will for his life. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure (Phil. 2:13).

The clear message here is one that will always bear repeating again and again. Cyrus heard from God and acted upon the command. He could have turned a deaf ear to God's voice just as many do today. Praise the Lord for those that hear and recognize His voice and commands and respond obediently!

God still speaks to humans today. He draws the lost to come to the cross to find salvation. He seeks out the wandering saint to bring him to a place of dedication to God. God calls those who are consecrated to Him into a life of service. Finally, at the end of the life of each believer, God will give the call to come home to be with Him.

God is still doing His part, the calling. It falls to us to respond as Cyrus did and say "yes, here I am Lord, I'll do Your will." God may have a task for any one of us at any time. The Holy Spirit may be trying to stir you or me even as we speak. Listen for God in your prayer time, study time and anytime. Answer the call.

Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear (Matt. 13:43).

Thought for Today:

Never forget, we should always pray, as Jesus did, that God's will be done for His glory.
Word Studies:

1:1 perfect, blameless; 1:6 strengthened their hands, gave them assistance; 2:43 Nethinims, Temple servants; 2:63 Tirshatha, governor.
Christ Revealed:

By Sheshbazzar, another name for Zerubbabel, Sthe prince (governor) of Judah (Ezra 1:8). Christ is both the Prince of Peace (Is. 9:6) and the Lion of the tribe of Juda (Judah) (Rev. 5:5).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for our Military worldwide • Government Officials: Rep. Tim Bishop (NY) and Rep. Gregg Harper (MS) • Country: Ireland (3.7 million) off the coast of western Europe • Major languages: English and Irish (Gaelic) • Religious freedom • 92% Catholic; 3.7% Anglican; 1% Other Protestant; .2% Muslim; .1% Jewish; 2% Other; 1% None •Prayer Suggestion: Keep the Word of God and pray to Him who has given you an open door into His presence (Rev. 3:8).
Optional Reading: II Corinthians 3

NOTE: Bible Pathway covers the Old Testament with devotional and commentary insights over a nine-month period, January through September. Each day during these months, an optional reading of one chapter a day from the New Testament will also be listed. The October, November, and December issues will provide a daily commentary on the New Testament readings. Thus, the reader goes through the New Testament twice each year using the Bible Pathway plan.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezra 3 – 5
Now therefore, if it seem good to the king, let there be search made in the king's treasure house, which is there at Babylon, whether it be so, that a decree was made of Cyrus the king to build this house of God at Jerusalem, and let the king send his pleasure to us concerning this matter (Ezra 5:17).

Several years had passed since the Lord had moved the heart of Cyrus to make a proclamation to ensure the Temple of the Lord would be rebuilt. As happens with many things, time had eroded the memory of Cyrus' directive. It is not hard to believe this occurred as there were probably those who doubted it was ever given. In addition, there were also enemies of Israel who wished it never had. However, God will always overcome every opposition. Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you (Luke 10:19).

The Temple work had continued but remained unfinished. Therefore, the elders made a plea unto the new king, Darius. They desired him to complete the work begun by Cyrus. To reinforce their plea, they asked Darius to have a search conducted for the original decree.

Many projects in our world go the same way as this one. Especially in the business world, a project will be started. Things will go fine at first with a team of employees working diligently to make progress towards completion. As time goes by, the manager of the division is replaced. The new manager begins to prioritize their duties. They find other projects of greater value. Maybe they cut funding to the first project, or it could be personnel that is pulled. Before long, the project is all but forgotten.

Our work for the Lord will often go this way. We begin with zeal for what we are doing. Time passes and other things come up, and we are soon distracted. We begin to abandon God's work for desires of the world. We don't even realize that this is the devil overtaking us. We can't work for spiritual and carnal rewards at the same time. No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon (Matt. 6:24).

It is crucial not to allow ourselves to get distracted from the work of the Lord. The tasks given to us by God are important for the building of His kingdom. God finishes what He starts. Let us follow His example and see the work given to us to its finish.

Being confident of this very thing, that He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ (Phil. 1:6).

Thought for Today:

As we seek to do the work of God, opposition will arise as Jesus foretold.
Word Studies:

3:3 his bases, its original foundation; 3:8 set forward, oversee; 3:11 by course, by the assigned divisions of priests; 4:4 weakened the hands of, discouraged and frightened; 5:10 certify, inform.
Christ Revealed:

Through the great (huge) stones used in building the Temple of God (Ezra 5:8). Jesus Christ is the Stone which the builders refused (rejected), and He has become the Head Stone of the Corner (Cornerstone) of our faith (Ps. 118:22; Matt. 21:42).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Michael Rogers (MI) • Country: Israel (6.1 million) in the Middle East • Major languages: Hebrew and Arabic • Witnessing to Jews about Christ the Messiah is actively discouraged • 80.2% Jewish (mostly secular); 14.6% Muslim (largely Sunni); 2.1% Christian; 1.6% Druze; 1.5% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Praise the Lord for His redeeming love (Rev. 5:9).
Optional Reading: II Corinthians 4

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 1:1-2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezra 8 – 9
For I was ashamed to require of the king a band of soldiers and horsemen to help us against the enemy in the way: because we had spoken unto the king, saying, The hand of our God is upon all them for good that seek Him; but His power and His wrath is against all them that forsake Him - (Ezra 8:22).

The feelings that this man of God had were in some ways understandable and in other ways not. It is easy to see why he could have been ashamed or embarrassed. The proclamation had been made that the hand of protection of God was on all those that sought Him. It was said that God would strike down all the enemies of His people. It would seem that trust was being put in man instead of God by asking for military assistance. If this was the case, there was definitely an error to trust anything over God. For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe (I Tim. 4:10).

On the other hand, things can always be looked at in a different way. It is true that God often works in supernatural ways. We see that clearly in select parts of the Word of God. There were healings, resurrections from the dead and many other miracles done, especially during the time that Christ lived in human form. Many seek after God for this very type of work in their life. Then those men, when they had seen the miracle that Jesus did, said, This is of a truth that prophet that should come into the world (John 6:14).

However, God will work, often, in other ways. God will use natural means to meet the needs within our lives. When we need comfort, He may send it through a dear friend. When we need healing, He may send it in the form of a doctor. And when we need protection, God may send an army of humans or an army of angels or whatever he chooses. The choice must be left up to the Lord.

The Lord could very well do exactly as this verse said using either a human army or an angelic one. God can use either to crush the enemies of Him and His people.

Don't be so quick to direct praise to human beings that might still belong to God. It was God who gifted the doctor, laid us on the heart of a friend or sent the army to rescue us. You can trust and believe that God may use whatever means He chooses to answer the prayers of His children.

For the eyes of the LORD are over the righteous, and His ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the LORD is against them that do evil (I Pet. 3:12).

Thought for Today:

When other Christians disappoint us, we need to pray and intercede to the Lord for them.
Word Studies:

8:29 chambers, storerooms; 9:3 mantle, robe; 9:7 confusion of face, shame, confessing to following God but living like the world. As the people of God, we are to come out from among them, and be . . . separate (II Cor. 6:17); 9:8 a nail in His Holy Place, a secure hold on the promised land; 9:12 wealth, well-being.
Christ Revealed:

By Ezra, who mourned over the sins of the people of Jerusalem (Ezra 9:5). Twice it is recorded that, when Jesus looked upon Jerusalem, He also mourned for the people (Luke 13:34; 19:41).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Tifany Edwards • Bible Pathway Printer: Ambrose Printing Staff, Nashville TN • Government Official: Sen. Mike Lee (UT) Country: Jamaica (3 million) in the West Indies • Major languages: English and Creole • Religious freedom • 78% Protestant; 10% Roman Catholic; 7% Afro-American spiritist • Prayer Suggestion: Believe that what God promises, He will bring to pass (Gen. 15:1-6 & 21:1-3).
Optional Reading: II Corinthians 6

:angel: :angel:

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezra 10
Now when Ezra had prayed, and when he had confessed, weeping and casting himself down before the house of God, there assembled unto him out of Israel a very great congregation of men and women and children: for the people wept very sore - (Ezra 10:1).

Ezra grieved over the nation of Israel because of their sin. In this verse, he lays it all out before God and this chosen nation of God. The verse goes on to say that he confesses to the Lord. Through Ezra, the people repented and gave up their strange wives and children and returned to the will of the Lord.

This is a great example set by this man of God as to how to obtain a revival in the whole nation. One might ask can one man really make a difference? The Word of God shows example after example of that very thing happening. One person following the Lord will always make a majority. What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? (Rom. 8:31).

The Bible is full of individuals who made a difference by standing for what was right. They made a difference by standing for God. One only need to read the "roll call of faith" in Hebrews 11 to get a fairly comprehensive list of these individuals. There are many others throughout the Word of God that are not mentioned there.

There have also been many since the days the Bible was written. Many have given their lives for the cause of Christ and the promotion of the Word of God. There are some who have become well known for their sacrifice. Others are only known to a few. Some may have had no one to mourn their passing. However, their gift is known greatly in heaven.

Others may not have died for the cause of Christ, but have lived their lives dedicated to God. These too have brought change in the world around them. The scripture compares the child of God to salt and light. Both being agents of change. Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid (Matt. 5:13-14).

Ezra was a leader, of that there is little doubt. His heart was turned towards godly things. He set his life to seeing a work of God completed. This work changed the heart of a nation. Any of us could be used in a similar manner. It is all about living in obedience to the Lord and His will.

And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself (Luke 10:27).

Thought for Today:

Remember to put on the whole armor of God if you want to serve Him successfully.
Word Studies:

10:1 wept very sore, wept bitterly; 10:2 strange, foreign; 10:8 substance, property; 10:13 without, outside in the rain; 10:15 were employed about, were opposed to; 10:19 gave their hands, promised, vowed.
Christ Revealed:

Through the ram (male sheep) that was offered for the offenses of the sons of the priests (Ezra 10:19). Christ offered Himself for the sins and offenses of all mankind. He is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by Him, seeing He ever liveth to make intercession for them (Heb. 7:25).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Chris Robison • Country: Japan (126.7 million) off the eastern coast of Asia • Major language: Japanese • Religious freedom • 49% Buddhist; 45% Shintoist; 1% Christian; 5% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Have faith that God always keeps His promises (Gen. 17:16 & 21:2-3).
Optional Reading: II Corinthians 7

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Nehemiah 1 – 3
Let thine ear now be attentive, and thine eyes open, that Thou mayest hear the prayer of Thy servant, which I pray before Thee now, day and night, for the children of Israel Thy servants, and confess the sins of the children of Israel, which we have sinned against Thee: both I and my father's house have sinned (Neh. 1:6).

Nehemiah had just heard that the people in Jerusalem were suffering great affliction and that the walls of the city of Jerusalem were broken down.

Nehemiah responded to this news by immediately turning to God. Like Nehemiah, our hearts should be concerned over the afflictions of others. Nehemiah didn't just get discouraged spiritually and become what we might call a "prophet of doom." He turned to the place that all answers are found. He turned to God. But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance (Acts 26:20).

Nehemiah's prayer could certainly provide us with a model to follow today. It is a sincere, heartfelt prayer that is repentant in nature. He confessed not only his own sins, but those of his family and nation as well. He also prayed the Word of God itself as it had been spoken to Moses. He spoke of the judgment God would have on His people for disobedience. Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience (Eph. 5:6). He also spoke about how God had said that if the people would turn back to Him that He would forgive them. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (I John 1:9).

There are many elements in this prayer of Nehemiah's that we could use in our daily prayers. There are many reading this today that probably feel we are in a similar situation as Nehemiah. More and more people seem to be less and less concerned about God and His Word. Even inside some churches today, there is often a "watering down" of the gospel. How can we respond?

Nehemiah prayed a prayer that said what God desired to hear. He truly repented. He was not just remorseful for his sins and the sins of others. He was prepared to go in a different direction and lead others into the obedience of following God as well. He applied God's Word to his prayer. This always helps in overcoming the enemy.

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Heb. 4:12).

Thought for Today:

God is always looking for those whose hearts are fully devoted to Him.
Word Studies:

1:5 terrible, awesome, greatly to be feared; 2:2 countenance, face; 2:7 convey me over, allow me to pass; 2:20 no portion, no part or property; 3:19 turning, corner; 3:23 over against, in front of, opposite of; 3:25 lieth out, extends from.
Christ Revealed:

Through Nehemiah's prayer for his people (Neh. 1:4-11). Christ also prayed for His own throughout the ages, which includes us today (John 17:20).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Rita Guerra • Internet Radio: sponsored by Dorothy Ralston • Government Officials: Rep. Marsha Blackburn (TN), and Rep. Eric Cantor (VA) Country: Jordan (5 million) in southwestern Asia • Major languages: Arabic and English • Religious tolerance • 93% Muslim; 5% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Pray in faith that God will bless your family (Gen. 17:18-20).
Optional Reading: II Corinthians 8

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Nehemiah 4 – 6
And it came to pass from that time forth, that the half of my servants wrought in the work, and the other half of them held both the spears, the shields, and the bows, and the habergeons; and the rulers were behind all the house of Judah - (Neh. 4:16).

There were enemies that did not want to see the walls of Jerusalem be rebuilt. It was known to Nehemiah and to those working to rebuild that they may be attacked at any time. They had to prepare for this attack, so they divided their forces. One would stand guard and protect the work, while the other would continue the building process. Even with a guard, the builder also would carry a sword on their side.

As is common in the Word of God, many scriptures can have spiritual applications to things spoken of in the physical realm. We can often draw lessons to learn for our day to day living even though the situation might never apply to our lives. These lessons, if utilized, will guide us into a better place with God in our lives. It hath pleased them verily; and their debtors they are. For if the Gentiles have been made partakers of their spiritual things, their duty is also to minister unto them in carnal things (Rom. 15:27).

The lesson in this scripture verse can be applied in more than one way. It is not uncommon to discover more than one lesson to learn. There are two clear life applications to this verse.

This verse also applies to the individual believer. Each of us have differing roles we must fill in God's kingdom. First off, we are all called to be students of God's Word and soul winners. In addition to this, we all have a specific call for us as individuals as we see in that last verse. Finally, we must be on guard and prepared for the attack of the enemy at any time. The Bible says the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour (I Peter 5:8). The word of God is sharper than any two edged sword (Heb. 4:12).

As we study the Word of God, we should take the time to examine the scripture. It is important to understand what God is speaking and how it applies to our lives from the Bible.

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth (II Tim. 2:15).

Thought for Today:

Although it is easy to get discouraged, it is always too soon to quit.
Word Studies:

1:5 terrible, awesome, greatly to be feared; 2:2 countenance, face; 2:7 convey me over, allow me to pass; 2:20 no portion, no part or property; 3:19 turning, corner; 3:23 over against, in front of, opposite of; 3:25 lieth out, extends from.
Christ Revealed:

Through Nehemiah's prayer for his people (Neh. 1:4-11). Christ also prayed for His own throughout the ages, which includes us today (John 17:20).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Rita Guerra • Internet Radio: sponsored by Dorothy Ralston • Government Officials: Rep. Marsha Blackburn (TN), and Rep. Eric Cantor (VA) Country: Jordan (5 million) in southwestern Asia • Major languages: Arabic and English • Religious tolerance • 93% Muslim; 5% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Pray in faith that God will bless your family (Gen. 17:18-20).
Optional Reading: II Corinthians 9

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Nehemiah 7 – 8
And all the people gathered themselves together as one man into the street that was before the water gate; and they spake unto Ezra the scribe to bring the book of the law of Moses, which the LORD had commanded to Israel (Neh. 8:1).

This incident is in some ways a foreshadowing of an event that will happen many years in the future. Both these events brought together a nation to hear from God. Both would contain a call to repentance for the people of Israel.

The future event is found in the Book of Acts. The disciples were in the upper room waiting to hear from God. Just as these Israelites came together as one, the scripture denotes the same unity for those in the upper room. And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place (Acts 2:1).

The anointing of God came upon those in the Book of Acts. They came out to preach to all who would listen. Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language (Acts 2:6). The comparison could be made here between Ezra and Peter. Both spoke the words of a prophet that came long before them. But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel (Acts 2:16). Both men also spoke words that would call others to repent and follow after the Lord and His Word. Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost (Acts 2:38).

The finding of these comparable situations in the Old Testament and the New Testament reinforce the importance of both events. In both events, the Word of God was spoken over a nation. Many heard this and in their hearts they felt the need to turn to God. In the Book of Nehemiah, the people broke out in praise and worship to God. In the Book of Acts, many accepted the free pardon of sin that Jesus offers.

There is a great need in today's society for more of God's Word. As believers, we need to dedicate ourselves to the reading and sharing of The Word of God to any who will listen. God uses the sharing of His Word to bring about awareness of His Will, which produces great results.

So shall My word be that goeth forth out of My mouth: it shall not return unto Me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it (Isa. 55:11).

Thought for Today:

When our minds are transformed by God's Word, we can serve Him in the strength of the Holy Spirit.
Word Studies:

7:2 feared, had reverential, heartfelt submission to; 7:3 stand by, stand on guard; watches, guards; 7:61 seed, genealogical descent; 7:65 Urim and Thummim, two objects kept in the high priest's breastplate and used to determine the Lord's will (Ex. 28:30); 8:14 booths, temporary shelters.
Christ Revealed:

Through the names required to be registered for priestly service (Neh. 7:64). Christ, our Great High Priest (Heb. 3:1), will soon return, wearing His Name, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS (Rev. 19:16).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Kenneth Calvert (CA) Country: Kenya (29 million) in eastern Africa • Major languages: English and Swahili • Religious freedom • 46% Protestant; 27% Roman Catholic; 17% belief in mystical powers; 6% Muslim; 3% Eastern Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Sing praises to the Lord (Ex. 15:1-19).
Optional Reading: II Corinthians 10

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Nehemiah 9 – 10
Now therefore, our God, the great, the mighty, and the terrible God, who keepest covenant and mercy, let not all the trouble seem little before Thee, that hath come upon us, on our kings, on our princes, and on our priests, and on our prophets, and on our fathers, and on all Thy people, since the time of the kings of Assyria unto this day (Neh. 9:32).

As the Book of the Law was read, a virtual history of Israel was recounted. Times were recalled when the nation had experienced great victories. Those were days when the leaders had chosen to obey the Word of God and walk in His ways. There were also days remembered when the nation had suffered greatly. These were times that their backs had been turned on God. They had chosen to walk in their own way and had failed miserably. But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities (II Pet. 2:10).

There was a clear picture painted of the history of Israel. The history showed that time and again the blessings of God would be on the nation as they were obedient to God. On the opposite side of the coin, the blessings of God were withdrawn as they became disobedient. Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness? (Rom. 6:16).

There seems to be an understanding of their own history here. In this verse and those that follow, they offer praise to God for being just in the way He dealt with their wickedness. These scriptures show they see God even blessed them when they were undeserving of it. The chapter closes with them establishing a covenant of service to God.

The lessons to learn from the mistakes of Israel are clear. Trust in God with everything. This is not to be a temporary trust. When something goes wrong, or it is all going perfect, we mustn't allow ourselves to become separated from God. This happens when other gods come into our lives. For whatever reason, we pull away from our trust in the only true God. This is just what the children of Israel did. Keep your faith and trust in the Lord regardless of the circumstances.

Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified (Gal. 2:16).

Thought for Today:

We need to pray, confess our sins, and read and obey God's Word with fervent hearts for revival to sweep through our land.
Word Studies:

9:18 wrought great provocations, committed great blasphemy; 9:22 didst divide them into corners, allotted and set boundaries; 9:25 fat, rich; 9:29 withdrew the shoulder, turned away rebelliously; hardened their neck, were stubborn, obstinate; 10:1 Tirshatha, governor; 10:28 Nethinims, Temple attendants or servants; 10:31 leave, forego the 7th year's crop.
Christ Revealed:

As the Creator of heaven and earth (Neh. 9:6). All things were created by Him, and for Him (Col. 1:16).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Don Young (AK) Country: Kirabati (86,000) 3 islands in southwestern Pacific • Major languages: English and Gilbutese • Religious freedom • 52% Roman Catholic; 44% Protestant; 2% Baha'i • Prayer Suggestion: Beseech the Lord in intercessory prayer for others when you have questions (Ex. 32:11).
Optional Reading: II Corinthians 11

Memory Verse for the Week: Ecclesiastes 5:4

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk