Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read II Kings 21 – 23:20
Highlights:

Evil reigns of Manasseh and Amon; Josiah's good reign; Book of the Law discovered; true worship restored; idolatry destroyed
Go ye, enquire of the LORD for me, and for the people, and for all Judah, concerning the words of this book that is found: for great is the wrath of the LORD that is kindled against us, because our fathers have not hearkened unto the words of this book, to do according unto all that which is written concerning us (II Kings 22:13).

Josiah was a righteous king. The Book of the law had been found. Josiah, upon seeing its words, knew the Nation had not been following the Word of God. This disturbed him greatly.

He called upon the priests and godly men to pray and search the truth from God's Word. He knew some of those that had come before had not cared to follow the laws of God. He wanted to make sure the people of Judah knew what was right and what was wrong so they could avoid the judgment of God. But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done: and there is no respect of persons (Col. 3:25).

Society today is much like it was in the time of Josiah. Many find the Word of God to be of the greatest importance. Others could care less about God's instruction for their lives or the lives of their family for that matter.

Even in some churches today, the Word of God is being laid aside in favor of self-help materials. Thank God there are still many who know that the Bible is God's road map to us. It is His instruction book to live our lives in a way that is pleasing to Him. Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth (II Tim. 2:15).

The importance of the Word of God in our lives should never be downplayed. We need only to look to Josiah's time, when the Book of the Law of God was not being used, to find out what happens to those who disregard it. They had built idols and turned to worshipping false gods from the heathen nations around them. It would be easy to say that becoming lax concerning your study of the Bible would not put you in this shape. It did not happen to them overnight either. Over a period of time, the lack of God's Word in our lives will open us up to the attack of the devil. Study the Word of God and apply it to your life daily.

But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed (James 1:25).

Thought for Today:

Like the church of Laodicea, many churches are comfortable with their programs but are destitute of the Word of God.
Christ Portrayed:

By the prophets (II Kin. 21:10). God, who . . . spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by His Son (Heb. 1:1-2).
Word Studies:

21:6 observed times, and used enchantments, and dealt with familiar spirits, practiced witchcraft, fortune-telling, devil worship, black magic; 21:12 ears shall tingle, will be astonished with horror; 23:17 title, monument, grave marker.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio sponsored by Kenneth & Margarie Brown • Country: Costa Rica (4 million) in Central America • Major languages: Spanish and English • Religious freedom is increasing • 90% Roman Catholic; 6% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to give you mercy and compassion for others (Jude 1:21-22).
Optional Reading: Romans 12

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 119:18

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Kings 23:21 – 25
Highlights:

Passover restored; destruction of Jerusalem and Temple foretold;death of Josiah; fall of Jerusalem; captivity of Judah
And like unto him was there no king before him, that turned to the LORD with all his heart, and with all his soul, and with all his might, according to all the law of Moses; neither after him arose there any like him (II Kings 23:25).

Josiah began to reign at the young age of eight. Even from his youth, Josiah had chosen to be different than many of his ancestors. He chose to walk in the ways of God.

Many of his relatives that had served as king and those who would serve as king had not chosen that path. They had served false gods and worshipped idols. Most of these practices came from alliances with the heathen nations around them. God warns in His Word many times about the dangers of such relationships.Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? (II Cor. 6:14).

Josiah knew that Judah did not need the protection of the ungodly. In times of need, God would take care of them as long as they followed after His ways. Josiah made the decision to place his trust in God instead of human beings. He would lead his life as an example of following God.Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness? (Rom. 6:16).

Josiah's dedication to the Lord must have been something special indeed. The testimony of his life recorded in chapter 23:15 is truly a great proclamation. There was no king that came before him or after him that served God as faithfully as he did.

That puts him above some pretty high company. David, Solomon and Hezekiah had all made their own mistakes. Yet, they had done great things for God's kingdom. They all are spoken of as having positive spiritual qualities at times.

Josiah went above that. He gave his all to the Lord as the scripture records here. History will remember him forever for his relationship with God and the things he accomplished to bring Judah back to God. Will we be remembered the same?

And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment (Mark 12:30).

Thought for Today:

For a nation to forsake the One True God is utter madness and chaos. May every nation see the example of Israel and turn to the Lord.
Christ Portrayed:

Through the Passover (II Kin. 23:21-23), which, as a type, foreshadowed Jesus Christ, our Redeemer and Passover Lamb, who delivers us from spiritual death through His sacrificial death I am He that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death (Rev. 1:18).
Word Studies:

25:12 husbandmen, farmers; 25:16 without weight, beyond measure; 25:27 lift up the head, release from prison.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio sponsored by Mrs. Ruth Prahl • Government Officials: Rep. Dean Heller (NV) and Rep. Mike Kelly (PA) • Country: Cote d'Ivoire (16 million) in western Africa • Major languages: French and over 60 native dialects • Religious freedom • 40% animist; 25% Muslim; 10% Roman Catholic; 5% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Pray in such a manner that others would be encouraged to praise and glorify God also (Jude 1:24-25).
Optional Reading: Romans 13

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Chronicles 1 – 2
Highlights:

Jesus' lineage through Adam, Noah, Abraham, Israel (Jacob), and Judah
Adam, Sheth, Enosh, (I Chr. 1:1), These are the sons of Israel; Reuben, Simeon, Levi, and Judah, Issachar, and Zebulun, Dan, Joseph, and Benjamin, Naphtali, Gad, and Asher. . . . Ozem the sixth, David the seventh: (I Chr. 2:1-2,15).

Some people will tell you the first is always the winner. That would certainly be true in most races. Others say they always save the best for last. That may be true pertaining to certain things. There are countdown lists to the number one song, person, etc. These are all part of the way the world ranks things. God definitely has a totally different system in His way of doing things. God chooses who He chooses. He calls who He calls. But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty (I Cor. 1:27).

A person may not always be the smartest, fastest, strongest or best looking, but they may be God's chosen for the office at hand. In the world's eyes, they may lack what it takes, but God looks deeper within to see the value of the person. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God (Rom. 8:27).

The verse names three individuals who were probably not the world's first choice. They did not seem to be anything special to mankind. Yet each of these three had a great responsibility that they fulfilled.

Seth had two older brothers, Cain and Abel, much better known than he, but it is through him that the lineage of God's chosen comes. Joseph had many older brothers who ended up selling him into slavery, but it was he who was able to save his whole family during a famine. David was also younger and not a soldier like his brothers, but it was he that killed Goliath on his way to becoming king of Israel.

Each of these men were chosen and used by God for these purposes. Just as they were selected by God for a specific purpose, we too are chosen by God to fulfill a certain place. No one else can fill the spot God has chosen for you. We must each answer His call as these men did.

No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please Him who hath chosen him to be a soldier (II Tim. 2:4)

Thought for Today:

Christians must not allow themselves to be molded by the world's standards, but must always submit to God's purpose in their lives.
Christ Portrayed:

the first Adam (I Chr. 1:1). Christ is the last Adam. We have eternal life because the last Adam was made a quickening (life-giving) Spirit (I Cor. 15:45,47).
Word Studies:

1:6 sons of, descendants of; 1:10 begat, became the father of; 2:21 threescore, sixty.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Country: Croatia (5 million) in southeastern Europe • Major language: Serbo-Croatian • Religious freedom • 73% Roman Catholic; 15% Serbian Orthodox; 5% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Keep the Word of God and pray to Him who has given you an open door into His presence (Rev. 3:8).
Optional Reading: Romans 14

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Chronicles 3 – 5

Highlights:

Descendants of David, Solomon, Judah, Simeon, Reuben, Gad, and Manasseh
And Jabez was more honourable than his brethren: and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, Because I bare him with sorrow. And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that Thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested (I Chr. 4:9-10).

We know very little about who this person, Jabez, is, we know very little about him. However, from what is said briefly in these verses, we learn a lot about his character. We also learn about his devotion to the Lord. About Jabez's character, we learn he had more honor than his brothers did. Regarding his relationship with God, it is learned that he desired to be close to God. He also wanted the help of the Lord to stand against the evils of the world.

There is much we can learn from this prayer to utilize in our own prayer lives. That does not mean to just repeat this prayer. The Word of God gives us many lessons on how to pray but never says to pray this prayer exactly as it is. But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking (Matt. 6:7).

In this prayer, along with others in the Bible, we find there are key elements that our prayers should include. We should offer praise to God. We should ask forgiveness of our sins. We should pray for the well-being of others as well as ourselves.

Prayer is a very important part of our daily walk with God. Even though there are those things our prayers should include, prayer is not meant to be a complicated thing. It is meant to be a dialogue between us and God. Remember, a dialogue is a two-sided conversation. We need to listen for God to answer as we pray.

If you are nervous about praying "right", don't be. God desires to hear our problems. If you are looking for help with what things to say, Jesus gave us a model prayer.

After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen (Matt. 6:9-13).

Thought for Today:

Have you ever asked God to make the latter years of your life more fruitful than the earlier years? Why not start a life of Divine purpose instead of selfish ambition?
Christ Portrayed:

Through the genealogy of David (I Chr. 3:1-24). Christ the Son of God was also called the Son of David: The Book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the Son of David (Matt. 1:1; Luke 3:23-38; Rom. 1:3).
Word Studies:

3:9 concubines, a woman legitimately married to a man but inferior to the regular wife and excluded with her children from the heritage (Gen. 25:6). Concubines could be taken from among Hebrews, slaves, or war captives; 4:10 coast, beachfront, border of territory, boundary; 4:40 fat, rich, good; 5:11 over against, across from.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Gov. Dave Heineman (NE), Rep. Jared Polis (CO) and Rep. Frank A. LoBiondo (NJ) • Country: Cuba (11.2 million) on the northern rim of the Caribbean • Major language: Spanish • Strict government surveillance of all true Christian activities • 40% Catholic; 10% Protestant; 2-10% Santeria; 1% Other; 40% None • Prayer Suggestion: Praise the Lord for His redeeming love (Rev. 5:9).
Optional Reading: Romans 15

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 119:29

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Chronicles 6 – 7
Highlights:

Descendants of Levi; Temple singers and keepers appointed; descendants of Aaron; cities of the Levites; numerous genealogies
But Aaron and his sons offered upon the altar of the burnt offering, and on the altar of incense, and were appointed for all the work of the place most holy, and to make an atonement for Israel, according to all that Moses the servant of God had commanded (I Chr. 6:49).

The Word of God tells us that each tribe and the families in that tribe had responsibilities to the nation of Israel. The majority of the tribes had to send their fighting age men to go to war. This was a great necessity since they were entering the land of promise where there were many enemies that would have to be fought.

The Tribe of Levi, however, had a very special responsibility. It was left to them to take care of the Tabernacle and all that pertained to it. In a spiritual sense, this was their battlefield.

Aaron and his sons were part of the Tribe of Levi. Aaron was selected for an even more important task than his Levite brethren. It was up to him and his descendants to take care of the altar, the offerings and the most holy place. They were the hand selected priests of God. They had been called to an office that few could understand. There were various responsibilities with this priesthood. And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the Law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham (Heb. 7:5).

This priesthood was passed down through generations of Levites. Many were honorable men who did as God commanded. They continued to offer up sacrifices as a way of atonement for the people of Israel. This Mosaic Covenant continued until there was a sacrifice that could bring an end to this process. Christ brought the process to an end. Think not that I am come to destroy the Law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil (Matt. 5:17).

Jesus Christ became the sacrifice that would enable man to have their sins eradicated for all time. He would be the only necessary priest for all who live. Every human being can now turn to Him to intercede on their behalf before God. Jesus has become both the priest and the sacrifice. The priesthood of the Levites could have never brought us to this place. We have no need for any other but Jesus, the begotten son of God, to get to the Father in heaven.

If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron? (Heb. 7:11).

Thought for Today:

We must guard against giving in to seeking the things that this world offers and miss out on God's blessings.
Christ Revealed:

Bythe cities of . . . refuge (I Chr. 6:57, also 67,71-72,78,80). For a person to have protection from the avenger of blood, he had to flee to a city of refuge. God provided His Only Begotten Son Jesus Christ to be our Refuge from His judgment against our sin. (Compare John 3:14-18; 10:24-30; Gal. 2:16; 3:1-14; Heb. 10:1-18; I John 2:2; Rev. 1:5.) When, by faith, in obedience to His Word, we come to Christ, He becomes our Refuge (Heb. 6:18-20).
Word Studies:

6:32 waited on, performed service in; 6:66 residue, balance; 6:74 suburbs, pasturelands; 7:23 it went evil with, tragedy had happened to his family; 7:24 nether, lower.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio sponsored by Susan Harris • Staff: Karen Hawkins • Government Officials: Gov. John Richard Kasich (OH) and Rep. Chris P. Gibson (NY) and Rep. Tom Cotton (AR) • Country: Cyprus (754,000) in the Middle East • Major languages: Greek and Turkish • No open evangelism or conversions to Christ • 75% Greek Orthodox; 19% Muslim; 1% Protestant; 1% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Lift up your prayers to the Lord as incense before God (Rev. 8:3-4).
Optional Reading: Romans 16

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Chronicles 8 – 10
Highlights:

Descendants of Benjamin; priests and Levites in Jerusalem and their responsibilities; genealogy of Saul; tragic deaths of Saul and his sons
They arose, all the valiant men, and took away the body of Saul, and the bodies of his sons, and brought them to Jabesh, and buried their bones under the oak in Jabesh, and fasted seven days (I Chr. 10:12).

Many might ask because of the way Saul's life ended; is there importance to this scripture? It is true Saul's last days did not see the blessings of God on his life. He spent them chasing after David trying to kill God's anointed. He was rebellious to God's plans and went his own way many times. He even ended up consorting with a witch.

It is sad that most are remembered for the way they end instead of the work of their entire life. There was a time that God's anointing was upon Saul. Many argue this fact. God did not want Israel to have a king. But, the king they had was chosen by God. The blessings of God were upon this man in his early years. They were taken away when he became disobedient to God. We are serving what we obey. Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness? (Rom. 6:16).

The verse above (I Chr. 10:12) is looked at not so much about Saul as it is about the valiant men spoken of here. No one would have faulted these men for not going to rescue the bodies of Saul and his sons. Who today undertakes a cause such as this? Most would argue with you for even calling it a rescue. It was really just a recovery.

These men showed a dedication that is not often found today. There was something inside them though that caused them to rise up to this task. This greatest of heroism was a repayment to Saul for rescuing them many years before (I Sam. 11). Many might question the choice of facing an army to retrieve a dead body. They may have been honoring this debt or it could have been an act of patriotism or it was a dedication to God. Maybe, it was just the right thing to do. But Peter and John answered and said unto them, Whether it be right in the sight of God to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge ye (Acts 4:19).

We should always strive to make right choices in life. Not just good choices, good is not always good enough. Something can be a good thing without being a God thing. When decisions have to be made in life, let us look to God for our answers. He is the only one who will always have our best interests at heart.

But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way (I Cor. 12:31).

Thought for Today:

Our Lord wants us to serve Him, not for fame or reward, but because we love Him.
Christ Revealed:

By Jerusalem, which means "foundation of peace" (I Chr. 9:3). Christ is the only Foundation of Peace upon which man can stand before God. Jesus said: My peace I give unto you (John 14:27; II Cor. 5:18; Eph. 2:14).
Word Studies:

8:31 Zacher, Zechariah (not the prophet); 9:21 porter, gatekeeper of the entrance way; 9:22 set office, trustworthy position; 9:23 by wards, as guards; 9:28 bring them in and out by tale, count them when they bring them in and take them out; 10:2 followed hard after, closely pursued and overtook; 10:3 went sore, was fierce; 10:4 uncircumcised, those without a covenant relationship with God.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Chris Robison • Government Officials: Rep. Jackie Speier (CA), Rep. Erik Paulsen (MN),Rep. Paul Broun (GA) and Rep. Jim P. Moran, Jr. (VA) • Country: Czech Republic (10 million) in central Europe • Major languages: Czech and Slovak • Religious freedom • 63% Catholic; 7% Protestant; 4% Eastern Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Believe that what God promises, He will bring to pass (Gen. 15:1-6 & 21:1-3).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Chronicles 11 – 13
Highlights:

David made king over Judah; all of Israel anoints David king; he reigns in Jebus (Jerusalem)
And the three brake through the host of the Philistines, and drew water out of the well of Bethlehem, that was by the gate, and took it, and brought it to David: but David would not drink of it, but poured it out to the LORD (I Chr. 11:18).

The armies of Israel had been fighting the Philistines off and on for a very long time. The Philistines had besieged Bethlehem preventing David and his army from entering the city. It would seem they might have been there a while and had been overcome with thirst.

Three of the thirty captains had come down to talk to David. They heard their king as he longed for the water of the well of Bethlehem. They showed great courage and broke through the ranks of the Philistines to bring David this cup of water he desired.

In reading the end of this verse, David may have seemed ungrateful for the act of these three captains. The exact opposite was true. He had great respect for their sacrifice as they endangered their lives to bring him this water. There was no way he could simply drink this water to quench his thirst. Instead, he brought honor to what they had done by pouring it out as a drink offering a sacrifice before the Lord. Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour

There may be many that we know or have heard of who have given of themselves in sacrifice. We wonder at times how can something so great be repaid. Praying for these special individuals may seem like something so small, but it is not. We can pray that God will bless them to be able to be of even greater service. Prayer definitely empowers. And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive (Matt. 21:22).

Of course, there are often other ways to bless those who are doing good works for the kingdom of God. You can always volunteer your time. Most ministries can always use some kind of assistance in this way. It may be in preparation or as part of the actual functions of their outreach. Ministries are often totally dependent upon God drawing people with a desire to grow His Kingdom to serve in many different ways. The important thing is to obey God's calling so we can fulfill the Great Commission together.

Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again (Luke 6:38).

Thought for Today:

It is not the number of talents that matters, but how faithful we are with what we have been given that matters to God.
Christ Portrayed:

By David, the anointed king (I Chr. 11:3). Christ is the Anointed One who will soon reign forever as KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS (Rev. 19:16).
Word Studies:

11:16 hold, stronghold; 12:1 close, restricted in his movements; in hiding; 12:17 knit, joined, united; 12:19 fell . . . to David, shifted allegiance to David.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio sponsored by Carl E Miller • Staff: Kevin Jennings • Government Official: Sec. Kathleen Sebelius (US Dept. of Health & Human Services) • Country: Denmark (5 million) in northern Europe • Major languages: Danish and Faroese • Religious freedom • 92% Protestant; 1% Muslim; .5% Roman Catholic; .5% cults; .1% Jewish • Prayer Suggestion: Have faith that God always keeps His promises (Gen. 17:16 & 21:2-3).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Chronicles 14 – 16
Highlights:

King Hiram's kindness to David; Philistines defeated; Ark brought to Jerusalem; David's psalm of thanksgiving
And it came to pass, as the Ark of the Covenant of the LORD came to the city of David, that Michal the daughter of Saul looking out at a window saw king David dancing and playing: and she despised him in her heart (I Chr. 15:29).

There was a great celebration going on as the Ark of the Covenant was being brought up. Most of the people had come out for this tremendous occasion. There were musicians playing and much shouting in praise to the Lord for all He had done.

David was especially overjoyed at this event. Even though he was king, he would not allow ceremonial practices to hinder his praise to God. He danced and played upon an instrument in worship to the Lord.

Michal, who was also David's wife, saw all this from a window. It may have been because of the death of her father and brothers. It could have been because David now sat on her father's throne. Maybe, it was her perception of David's lack of dignity. For whatever reason, Michal did not have the same feelings as all the others there. The verse even records she despised David for his part in it all.

Have you ever found yourself in a situation such as this one? Maybe, it was in a church service or a revival meeting. The Holy Spirit was moving, touching lives and changing hearts. You might have been in a hospital and the news came that the one that was on their deathbed had made a full recovery. It could be at home during your quiet time and the Lord was speaking to you through His Word. All these have one thing in common and that is blessings from God. Praise ye the LORD, Praise the LORD, O my soul. While I live will I praise the LORD: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being (Ps. 146:1-2).

Regardless of the situation, the way the Lord was blessing was heavy upon you. It might have brought tears, laughter or even a shout. It could have even affected you as it did David. No matter the response, it was a response of praise and thankfulness for how the Lord was moving. And when He was come nigh, even now at the descent of the mount of Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works that they had seen (Luke 19:37).

There may be those that don't understand what is happening. There may be others that do understand and still criticize the response. Some will do this just to be negative. You are the one the Lord blessed. So, it is possible there are those with legitimate questions. We should do our best to explain what God has done in our lives. It is an excellent witnessing opportunity and we don't want to cause others confusion or to falter.

But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak (I Cor. 8:9).

Thought for Today:

Through David's fame and exaltation (I Chr. 14:17). God highly exalted Christ, our Redeemer, and gave Him a Name which is above every name (Phil. 2:9-11).
Christ Revealed:

By David, the anointed king (I Chr. 11:3). Christ is the Anointed One who will soon reign forever as KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS (Rev. 19:16).
Word Studies:

14:13 spread themselves abroad, made a raid, invaded.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio sponsored by Linda Tyrell • Staff: Rick Hash • Government Officials: Sen. Daniel R. Coats (IN) and Rep. John Conyers, Jr. (MI) • Country: Djibouti (447,000) in eastern Africa • Major languages: French and Arabic • Limited religious freedom • 91% Muslim; 7% Roman Catholic; .75% Eastern Orthodox; about 300 Protestants • Prayer Suggestion: Pray in faith that God will bless your family (Gen. 17:18-20).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Chronicles 21 – 23
Highlights:

David's sin in taking a military census; his preparation for building the Temple and instructions to Solomon; duties of the Levites
And Joab answered, The LORD make His people an hundred times so many more as they be: but, my lord the king, are they not all my lord's servants? why then doth my lord require this thing? why will he be a cause of trespass to Israel? (I Chr. 21:3).

David was going to take a census of the people in Israel. The devil had drawn him into doing this. It must have been against God's will for David to take this census. Even so, he brought the leaders together to command them to do so. It is the work of the enemy to entice us to sin.

Just as in yesterday's devotion, we look to words spoken by Joab, an advisor to David and a captain of Israel's army. Joab was trying to be a voice of reason to David. He wanted to talk him out of taking the census. He knew that taking the census would be bringing sin upon the nation of Israel.

Again, Joab's advice proves to be of value not only to the recipient, if used, but we, today, could utilize it as well. Joab first questioned the reasoning behind the decision that was made. Then he offered a gentle rebuke explaining the extent that this sin would stretch, which would be to all Israel.

As mentioned before, we find Joab's words helpful again today as a model for us to use. David did not listen to the warning of this friend. He went ahead with his actions and commanded the census be taken. God brought a penalty of sin upon the nation just as Joab had warned. David chose to go his own way and Israel would pay the price. If only, David would have needed the rebuke then he could have followed the example of Jesus.I can of Mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and My judgment is just; because I seek not Mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent Me (John 5:30).

The lesson to be learned here is to listen when God sends us a warning through a godly believer. We should also do this for our brothers and sisters. If we see them about to fall into sin's trap, we need to offer up a word of guidance to try to steer them back to Christ. In all situations, be obedient to the Holy Spirit.

Preach the Word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine (II Tim. 4:2).

Thought for Today:

Knowing God's Word keeps us from falling for Satan's deceptions.
Christ Revealed:

Through the altar David built to sacrifice unto the Lord so that Israel might be restored to a right relationship with God (I Chr. 21:18,26). Only through Christ can we be restored to a right relationship with God. We are justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus(Rom. 3:24).
Word Studies:

21:13 a great strait, deep distress; 21:15 repented Him of the evil, felt compassion due to man's repentance and intercession; 22:3 without weight, beyond calculation; 23:1 old and full of days, reached old age; 23:6 courses, divisions or groups; 23:11 in one reckoning, counted together; 23:24 by their polls, individually, by census, head counts.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Sen. Tom Udall (NM) • Country: Dominican Republic (8 million) in the West Indies, occupying the eastern two-thirds of the island of Hispaniola • Major language: Spanish • Religious freedom • 96% Roman Catholic (many are spiritists); 2% Protestant; 1% Afro-American spiritist • Prayer Suggestion: Sing praises to the Lord (Ex. 15:1-19).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 5

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Chronicles 24 – 26
Highlights:

Duties assigned to priests; musicians and singers; divisions of the porters (gatekeepers); treasurers and other officials
Out of the spoils won in battles did they dedicate to maintain the house of the LORD (I Chr. 26:27).

A good portion of a soldier's income in ancient times came from the spoils they might take in battle. There may or may not have been any sort of salary for being in the army at that time. Men would fight for a number of reasons. They might have fought for national pride or patriotism. Some may have been forced to fight. They might have been drafted or sequestered to the military of their own nation or a nation that conquered them. Some were even slaves and were fighting for their freedom.

It is obvious then that the spoils of battle were very important to the soldier's income. Those spoils were often limited as commanding officers might take certain items for themselves. The average soldier might only be able to take from what was left over.

Therefore, this donation of the spoils taken in battle to provide for the upkeep of the Lord's house was a sacrificial gift. These items could have easily been kept for personal gain. However, they were dedicated for the use of the Lord.

This could be looked at in a way, as a tithe and offering to the Lord. There is a difference between the two. Many know this, others may not. The tithe is the giving back of a percentage of what God has given us. The scripture reveals that percentage to be a tenth. It is a must to tithe if we desire our life to be in right standing with God. And as soon as the commandment came abroad, the children of Israel brought in abundance the firstfruits of corn, wine, and oil, and honey, and of all the increase of the field; and the tithe of all things brought they in abundantly (II Chr. 31:5). And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at Him(Mark 12:17). The offering is what we might give above the required tithe.

The Commandment to tithe is a truth from the Word of God found both in the Old Testament and the New Testament. It is a necessity if we want to live a life obedient to God. You may have heard someone say "I can't afford to tithe the way things are today". As believers in Christ, we can't afford not to tithe, especially in these days. The example is set for us in the Bible from even its most notable individuals.

To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace (Heb. 7:2).

Thought for Today:

If worship doesn't come from a heart of love, it becomes hypocrisy.
Christ Revealed:

Through the Temple treasures (I Chr. 26:20-28).Christ; In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge (Col. 2:2-3). In Christ are treasures of wisdom, knowledge, and riches to supply all a believer needs (Phil. 4:19).
Word Studies:

24:2 executed, served in; 24:5 divided by lot, lots were cast to determine the will of God (Prov. 16:33); 24:19 orderings, schedules; 25:5 lift up the horn, sound the trumpet.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Country: : Ecuador (13 million) in South America, crossed by the equator • Major language: Spanish • Religious freedom • 91% Roman Catholic; 3% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Beseech the Lord in intercessory prayer for others when you have questions (Ex. 32:11).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 6

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 119:41

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk