Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read I Kings 19 – 20
Highlights:

Wicked Queen threatens Elijah to morrow (I Kin. 19:2); He is sustained by angels (19:9-12); God's successor for Elijah (19:15-19); Wicked Ahab learns God is the Lord (20:28-34); Ahab's death foretold.
Apparently, Elijah believed that the miraculous fire from heaven and the end of the drought not only would prove Baal to be a false god but would result in Ahab and Jezebel's conversion to the One True God.

Ahab rushed toward his palace to tell Jezebel what had happened. Responding immediately, Jezebel sent a messenger unto Elijah, saying, So let the gods do to me, and more also, if I make not thy life as the life of one of them by tomorrow about this time. And when he saw that, he arose, and went(ran) for his life (I Kings 19:2-3). Avoiding the ruthless Jezebel was not weakness, but wisdom. After stopping to rest from his running and feeling defeated and discouraged, Elijah prayed: O LORD, take away my life; for I am not better than my fathers (19:4).

There is no indication that Elijah contemplated suicide; he believed that God was the Creator and Lord of life and only He had the right to take life. What he meant was: "I'm a failure. I have not achieved my mission, and there seems to be no hope of restoring the nation to worship You as the One True God." However, God lovingly provided for Elijah's physical needs by sending an angel to supply nourishment after his long journey (19:5-6). Often our mountaintop spiritual victories will be quickly followed by opposition, or a time of testing in a solitary place.

When we stand before the Lord, each person's work will be judged – not by how spectacular it was but by its true eternal worth. All of us have moments of disappointment when it seems we have failed. Often our estimation of what we should achieve is far different than what God has in mind. We are not called to always be successful, but we are always called to be available and to remain faithful to God (I Corinthians 1:9).

Although he did not know it, Elijah did accomplish what God wanted him to do. The people in Ahab's kingdom went home with a true revelation that the Lord, He is the God (I Kings 18:39). For centuries Elijah's faith and faithfulness have given encouragement to millions of believers. The Lord is nigh unto all them that call upon Him, to all that call upon Him in truth. . . . The Lord preserveth all them that love Him: but all the wicked will He destroy (Psalm 145:18,20).

Thought for Today:

Man fails many, many times, but Jesus never fails.
Christ Portrayed:

By the unnamed prophet who prophesied victory to King Ahab so that he would know his destiny was controlled by God: Thou shalt know that I am the Lord (I Kin. 20:13,28). Thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ (I Cor. 15:57).
Word Studies:

19:8 Horeb, Mount Sinai; 19:14 jealous, zealous; 19:21 instruments, yokes; 20:11 harness, armor; 20:12 Set yourselves in array, Get ready to attack; 20:24 rooms, positions, places.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Mo Brooks (AL), Sen. Debbie A. Stabenow (MI), Steven Horsford (NV), and Rep. Rodney P. Frelinghuysen (NJ) • Country: Cameroon (15 million) in west-central Africa • Major languages: English and French • Pressure on Christians from authorities and Muslims • 28% Roman Catholic; 23% Muslim; 18% animism, divination, and animal sacrifices; 14% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Rejoice and consider yourself blessed when you suffer for the Name of Christ (I Pet. 4:14).
Optional Reading: Romans 2

Memory Verse for the Week: John 13:35

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Kings 21 – 22
Highlights:

Jezebel murders to satisfy Ahab's coveting; Elijah foretells the death of Ahab and Jezebel (I Kin. 21:17-24) and it comes to pass (22:37-38; II Kin. 9:30-37); Jehoshaphat does right in the eyes of the Lord (22:43,46).Ahab's death foretold.
Near the end of Ahab's reign, a total of 40 verses is taken up with his death and the events that led to it. There was none like unto Ahab, which did sell himself to work wickedness in the sight of the LORD, whom Jezebel his wife stirred up. And he did very abominably in following idols (I Kings 21:25-26). God gave him a miraculous victory over the Syrian king Ben-hadad at Aphek (20:28-30). Although Ahab made no covenant with the Lord, he did make a covenant with Ben-hadad, his enemy, after defeating him, calling him my brother (20:32). Ahab released him with the assurance that Ben-hadad would return Ramoth-gilead, a strategic fortress near the border. But three years passed and it was still under Syrian control (22:1-3).

Jehoshaphat, the King of Judah, had a son named Jehoram, who married Ahab's daughter. Ahab invited Jehoshaphat to Samaria for a sumptuous banquet and then persuaded him to join him in war against Syria to regain Ramoth-gilead (II Chr. 18:1-3). Jehoshaphat immediately said he would. Then he had second thoughts and said: Enquire, I pray thee, at the Word of the Lord to day(I Kin. 22:5). Ahab had about four hundred prophets who all assured them of great victories (22:6). Still Jehoshaphat was uneasy and asked for a prophet of the Lord, and Ahab said: There is yet one man (22:8). That one was Micaiah, who courageously proclaimed: I saw all Israel scattered upon the hills, as sheep that have not a shepherd (22:17).

Ahab hated Micaiah. Nevertheless, when they went to war, Ahab removed all his royal garments and disguised himself as a peasant soldier, assuming the Syrians would not recognize him. Thinking he could keep the battle turned toward Jehoshaphat, he encouraged Jehoshaphat to keep his royal robes on. Could he have been so evil as to think that if Jehoshaphat died in battle, Ahab's own daughter and son-in-law would rule Judah, which he could then control? However, Ahab failed to consider that he could not hide from God. He died on the first day of battle at Ramoth-gilead when a certain man drew a bow at a venture, and smote the king of Israel between the joints of the harness (22:34). His disguise made it all the more obvious that Ahab's death was by the hand of God (22:34-38).

Just as Ahab and Jehoshaphat fought in battle, so every Christian today faces a battle with satanic forces. We wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world (Eph. 6:12).

Thought for Today:

Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproah to any people (Prov. 14:34).
Christ Portrayed:

By Micaiah, who would say only what God instructed him to say (I Kin. 22:14). Jesus faithfully told others only what God told Him to say. Then said Jesus unto them... I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father hath taught Me, I speak these things (John 8:28; 12:49-50).
Word Studies:

21:27 softly, sadly, subdued; 22:3 be still, do nothing; 22:11 push, gore; 22:13 with one mouth, unanimously; 22:16 adjure thee, put you under oath; 22:34 at a venture, without specific aim; harness, armor; 22:48 broken, wrecked.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials:Rep. Robert C. Scott (VA) • Country: Canada (31 million) in North America • Major languages: English and French • Religious freedom • 47% Roman Catholic; 37% Protestant; 3% Eastern Orthodox; 2% cults; 1% Jewish • Prayer Suggestion: Humble yourself before the Lord (I Pet. 5:5-6).
Optional Reading: Romans 3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Kings 1 – 3

Highlights:

Death of Ahaziah; Elijah taken up by a whirlwind; Elisha heals Jericho's water.
But the Angel of the Lord said to Elijah the Tishbite . . . say unto them, Is it not because there is not a God in Israel, that ye go to inquire of Baal-zebub the god of Ekron? (II Kin. 1:3).

Since the decline in Israel's power was not yet evident from the standpoint of numerical strength, the destruction of the ten tribes of Israel seemed most unlikely. Yet, their rejection of the Word of God made their eventual captivity inevitable. Hear ye this Word . . . O house of Israel. . . . Seek the Lord, and ye shall live. . . . and so the Lord, the God of hosts, shall be with you (Amos 5:1-15). II Kings remembers each king for a single personal choice; whether he did that which was right (II Kin. 12:2) or whether he did not that which was right in the sight of Lord (16:2). Leadership in life should be sought in God's Word always. Those who do not seek from it will usually find they will have to hear from it later.

Nothing weakens a nation's strength like ignoring the Scriptures, so God raised up Elijah to proclaim His Word. Just as Elijah had confronted Ahab with the judgment of God (I Kin. 17:1), he boldly faced Ahab's evil son, Ahaziah, saying: Thus saith the Lord, Forasmuch as thou hast sent messengers to inquire of Baal-zebub . . . thou shalt not come down off that bed . . . but shalt surely die (II Kin. 1:16). Many throughout the ages have thought they could find prosperity in sin. However, like Ahaziah, they soon find themselves in the hands of God, the Righteous Judge of all mankind.

Elijah remained faithful to God even when he faced an evil king. Elijah did not have to be fearful or humbled by this evil king. God had chosen him for this mission. Those whom God appoints to a good work will find He will see them through to its end (Phil. 1:6). Even so today, as we faithfully read His Word and seek His will, the Holy Spirit creates within us a new revelation of our wonderful Lord and a deeper understanding of why He dwells within our lives. Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of Mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock (Matt. 7:24).

This enables the Word to speak to our hearts just as clearly as Elijah heard from God. Yes, it is true, God speaks to us through His Word and it calls us into service for our King. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow Me (John 10:27).

Thought for Today:

God imparts His strength to those who remain faithful to Him.
Christ Revealed:

In the taking up of Elijah in the whirlwind and the dropping of his mantle — a symbol of the presence and power of God that remain with His faithful servant (II Kin. 2:8-15). This is a type of the ascension of the Lord Jesus Christ and His sending the Holy Spirit to indwell and empower believers to evangelize the world. He was parted from them, and carried up into heaven (Luke 24:51-53; Acts 1 — 2).
Word Studies:

1:8 girt with, wearing; girdle of leather about his loins, garment around his waist; 2:19 naught, polluted, bad; 2:24 tare, mauled or mangled; 3:9 fetched a compass, circled around; made a roundabout march; 3:27 offered him, burned him alive as a sacrifice to a god of Moab.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for our Military worldwide • International Broadcasts in memory of Dr. John A. Hash • Government Official: Rep. Ed G. Perlmutter (CO) • Country: Cape Verde (405,000) 15 islands in the Atlantic Ocean, 390 miles off the coast of Africa • Major languages: Portuguese and Crioulo • Religious freedom • 91% Roman Catholic; 3% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Let the Lord have all your worries and cares; He is always thinking about you and things that concern you (I Pet. 5:7).
Optional Reading: Romans 4

NOTE: Bible Pathway covers the Old Testament with devotional and commentary insights over a nine-month period, January through September. Each day during these months, an optional reading of one chapter a day from the New Testament will also be listed. The October, November, and December issues will provide a daily commentary on the New Testament readings. Thus, the reader goes through the New Testament twice each year using the Bible Pathway plan.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Kings 4 – 5

Highlights:

The widow's oil multiplied; Elisha and the Shunammite woman; Naaman cured of leprosy; Gehazi's leprosy.
And it came to pass, when the king of Israel (Jehoram) had read the letter, that he rent his clothes, and said, Am I God, to kill and to make alive, that this man doth send unto me to recover a man of his leprosy? wherefore consider, I pray you, and see how he seeketh a quarrel against me (II Kin. 5:7).

When King Jehoram read the letter that the king of Syria wrote concerning the leper Naaman, he jumped to the wrong conclusion and accused Naaman, the powerful captain of the Assyrian army, of seeking to declare war. King Jehoram concluded from the letter that he was being asked to cure Naaman's leprosy. This could only be done by God. He presumed war would be declared when he could not cure him. Even after Naaman was miraculously healed, King Jehoram refused to worship God, as did his brother, Ahaziah, and his father Ahab, before him.

Like Jehoram, far too many Christians fail to realize that it's not men but the providential arrangements of God that have placed us exactly where we are at this very moment. Therefore, we should examine the message of God rather than blame the messenger He uses. Whenever we don't like where God is directing us, it can be easy to find fault and place the blame on someone else. Remember, it is God sending this message to you (I Cor. 7:17). He is the One who formed me (us) from the womb to be His servant (Is. 49:5); and called us . . . according to His own purpose and grace (II Tim. 1:9). Look to heaven and not earth in finding your answers.

We may not be responsible for the circumstances in which we find ourselves, but we are responsible for the way these events affect us. Let us always remember that God is seeking to use our circumstances to transform us into the image of His Son. Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths (Prov. 3:5-6). It is not necessary in all instances for us to understand the reason for our circumstances, but we should submissively yield to God and seek His will (James 4:7).

That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ (I Pet. 1:7).

Thought for Today:

God often uses ordinary circumstances to reveal His ways.
Christ Revealed:

By the meal that took the poison out of the pot (II Kin. 4:40-41). Meal, made of crushed grain, speaks of Christ, who was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised (crushed) for our iniquities (Is. 53:5), thereby removing the poison of sin from us.
Word Studies:

4:3 borrow not a few, get as many as you can; 4:6 stayed, ceased flowing; 4:10 candlestick, oil lamp; 4:27 vexed, deeply distressed; 4:29 Gird up thy loins, Fasten your loose, flowing garments with a belt.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Helen A. Porter • Staff: Chris Robison • Government Official: Rep. Peter Welch (VT) • Country: Central African Republic (3 million) in the center of the African continent • Major languages: French and Sangho • Religious freedom • 47% Protestant; 34% Roman Catholic; 12% animist; 3% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Pray each day for the Lord to protect you from evil (I Pet. 5:8).
Optional Reading: Romans 5

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Kings 6 – 8
Highlights:

The ax head made to float; Syrians (Arameans) attack Israel; famine in Samaria; Elisha's prophecy fulfilled
And Elisha prayed, and said, LORD, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the LORD opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha (II Kings 6:17).

It is not always easy to see what God is doing. As a matter of fact, God intends it to be that way much of the time. In this situation, God was about to move in a great way, but only the prophet knew what God was doing for certain.

Elisha's servant could only see what was in front of him. The king of Syria had brought a great army to take Elisha. The servant had obvious reasons to be so fearful.

The verse tells us that Elisha prayed that his servant's eyes would be opened to the spiritual as well as the physical. There was a great angelic army there to protect the man of God. In the end, there was no need to be fearful. God was in control. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou art with me (Ps. 23:4). At times, circumstances in our own lives can seem to become overwhelming. The life of a believer is often filled with trials and tribulations. The enemy presses hard against us and it seems like we may never get rescue from his oppression. Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour (I Peter 5:8).

The devil may be like a lion, ready to attack the follower of Christ at his first chance. There is an important fact to remember here though. If the Christians will pray against this opposition, they will overcome this ravenous beast. The prayers of the saints will take away this lion's greatest weapon, fear. There is no need to fear the devil because the Lion of the Tribe of Judah has already defeated the devil. Jesus died for our sins and rose from death to life to ultimately conquer the enemy. I am He that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death (Rev. 1:18).

Don't get discouraged when it seems that life is at its worst. If you belong to God, you are always victorious. Do we always feel victorious? No. There are times we may feel defeated. We may look up and see great things coming against us. Even though we may not see it, the hand of God is moving on His children's behalf. As we hold on to Jesus, the final chapter of life is certain. The believer ends up the victor, not the loser. May that hope encourage you.

But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved (Matt. 24:13).

Thought for Today:

Those that stop at nothing to promote themselves will always come to a bad end.
Christ Portrayed:

By Elisha, who wept when he realized what Hazael would do to Israel and its people (II Kin. 8:11-12). We are reminded of Jesus as He wept over Jerusalem: O Jerusalem, Jerusalem . . . how often would I have gathered thy children together . . . and ye would not! (Matt. 23:37).
Word Studies:

6:1 strait, small, too confined; 6:30 within, next to, underneath; 7:5 uttermost part, borders; 8:11 settled his countenance, stared intensely; 8:26 daughter, granddaughter.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for • Government Officials: Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter (ID), Sen. Jim Risch (ID), Sen. David Vitter (LA), Sen. Ron Wyden (OR) and Rep. Ralph Hall (TX) • Country: Chad (7 million) in north-central Africa • Major languages: French and Arabic • Limited religious freedom • 35% Muslim; 31% animist; 11% Protestant; 5% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Thank God in prayer for His faithfulness to His Word and His desire that all come to repentance (II Pet. 3:9).
Optional Reading: Romans 6

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Kings 9 – 10
Highlights:

Jehu anointed king of Israel; Jehu kills Joram and Ahaziah; Jezebel killed; Ahab's family killed; Baal worshipers executed
And thou shalt smite the house of Ahab thy master, that I may avenge the blood of My servants the prophets, and the blood of all the servants of the LORD, at the hand of Jezebel (II Kings 9:7).

Elisha had given a great task to the young man delivering this message. The message was not from Elisha, but it had come from God. There had to be much anxiety due to the importance and the content of the message being carried.

The message delivered may seem like a harsh judgment from God. However, evil had reigned for long enough. God was ready to end this tyrannical reign of Ahab and Jezebel. His intent was to use the man Jehu to do it.

The message was probably just as difficult for the receiver of this message as it was for the messenger. Jehu surely felt the weight of what was being commanded for him to do. If he had declared its message, he could have been executed for treason.

However, Jehu need not worry about such. This was God's plan. This was God's vengeance being delivered upon those who had slain the prophets and brought corruption and idolatry to the kingdom of His chosen people. This was not Jehu's exacting vengeance. It was God's. Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is Mine; I will repay, saith the LORD (Rom. 12:19).

Many may look at this and think God to be a harsh judge. Just the opposite is true. God is known to offer grace and mercy in place of wrath all the time. Many simply are so blind to reality that they choose to suffer God's wrath rather than accept His kindness. The words of Jesus to the woman caught in the act of adultery clearly show that God wants us to repent so He will not have to judge us. When Jesus had lifted up Himself, and saw none but the woman, He said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? She said, No man, LORD. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more (John 8:10-11).

If you have sinned, don't wait for the judgment of God to come your way. Jesus is waiting to offer His grace to your life. He desires to forgive. What we need to do is turn from our sin and ask for the forgiveness of God.

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (I John 1:9).

Thought for Today:

Unlike this world or the world's religions, a Christian understands that sooner or later God's justice will prevail.
Christ Portrayed:

By Elisha, who sent one of the sons of the prophets with oil to anoint Jehu (II Kin. 9:1-6). Oil symbolizes the Holy Spirit, and the Lord sent the Holy Spirit to anoint believers (John 14:16-17; 16:13; Acts 1:8; compare I Sam. 16:13). The anointing which ye have received of Him abideth (lives) in you (I John 2:27).
Word Studies:

9:23 treachery, treason; 9:30 tired her head, adorned her hair; 10:3 Look even out the best and meetest, Select the most capable; 10:27 draught house, public toilet.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials:Rep. Colleen Hanabusa (HI) • Country: Chile (15 million) on the southwestern coast of South America • Major language: Spanish • Religious freedom • 73% Catholic; 20% Protestant; 1% Other; 6% None • Prayer Suggestion: Rejoice that Jesus' blood has cleansed you from sin (I John 1:7,9).
Optional Reading: Romans 7

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Kings 11 – 13
Highlights:

Athaliah reigns; David's descendants murdered; Joash crowned king; he repairs the Temple; worship restored; evil reign of Jehoahaz
And it came to pass, as they were burying a man, that, behold, they spied a band of men; and they cast the man into the sepulchre of Elisha: and when the man was let down, and touched the bones of Elisha, he revived, and stood up on his feet (II Kings 13:21).

Elisha had been a great prophet of God. He was the student of Elijah. He was discipled well in the ways of the Lord. When Elijah had been carried away to be with God, Elisha was there and had received a double portion of the anointing that was upon Elijah. And it came to pass, when they were gone over, that Elijah said unto Elisha, Ask what I shall do for thee, before I be taken away from thee. And Elisha said, I pray thee, let a double portion of thy spirit be upon me (II Kings 2:9).

Elisha had followed the Lord closely. He had been obedient in speaking the truth of God before kings, queens and other leaders. He had performed wonderful miracles in the name of the Lord. He had lived a dedicated life to God. That life had now come to an end as Elisha was dead and buried.

This verse records that the Moabites had invaded the country. They were in the process of burying a man. They ended up lowering the body into the tomb of Elisha. The power of God had been so active in Elisha that when this dead man touched Elisha's bones, he was resurrected and stood to his feet.

It may seem strange to some that this is shared in scripture. However, it is a testimony of the power and the presence that God can have in a person's life if that person is fully submitted to Him. As said before, Elisha had seen many miracles manifested through his life by the power of God. The Lord evidently saw fit to use him for one last miracle in death.

God will use anyone willing to be obedient to His call. Many might say that God could never use them in this way. The words of the prophet Joel were spoken upon the New Testament Church on the day of pentecost. And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of My Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: And on My servants and on My handmaidens I will pour out in those days of My Spirit; and they shall prophesy: (Acts 2:17-18).

Never sell yourself short when it comes to being used by God. God and God alone chooses who He will utilize to execute His plan. He has used redeemed fishermen, farmers, soldiers and even criminals to proclaim His Word. Anyone who will give Jesus their life is a candidate.

And He said to them all, If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me (Luke 9:23).

Thought for Today:

: Many well meaning church members are content to attend and be fed but God's Word says Every branch in Me that not beareth fruit He taketh away (John 15:2).
Christ Portrayed:

By Jehoiada, the priest who protected Joash and, in holy judgment, had Athaliah put to death (II Kin. 11:4-16). Christ keeps us safe to fulfill His will and will return to judge all who obey not the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ (II Thess. 1:8).
Word Studies:

11:7 two parts, two companies; 11:8 compass, surround; 12:5 breaches, damaged places; 12:11 laid it out, paid it to them; 13:6 the grove, place to worship the goddess Asherah (Ashtoreth).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Charles Gonzalez (TX) • Country: China, Mainland (1.242 billion) in eastern Asia • Major languages: Standard Chinese (Putonghua) or Mandarin (based on the Beijing dialect) • Renewed persecution of the Church • 16% Asian (including Fulun Gong); 8% Buddhist; 3% Muslim; number of Christians unknown but growing; 10% Atheist • Prayer Suggestion: Confess and repent of any known sin (I John 1:9).
Optional Reading: Romans 8

Memory Verse for the Week: II Corinthians 5:21

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Kings 14 – 15
Highlights:

Reigns of Amaziah, Azariah (Uzziah), and Jotham over Judah; reigns of five of last six kings over Israel
And the LORD said not that He would blot out the name of Israel from under heaven: but He saved them by the hand of Jeroboam the son of Joash (II Kings 14:27).

The Lord has preserved His chosen people of Israel for thousands of years. The Covenant God made with Abraham has stood true through generation after generation. It will continue to do so through the end of all time as God continues offering redemption to the Jews as well as the gentiles.

Israel has come through many obstacles during the years since God chose Abraham. The nation has been in bondage to Egypt, Babylon, Medo-Persia and Rome. They have fought many wars, separated into two nations, seen droughts and famines and the people have been scattered all over the world.

Through all these trials and tribulations, God has protected His people. In contrast, many ancient world powers are not even thought of today. Though Israel was not united for a time, they were eventually reestablished as a nation.

We praise God that just like the people of Israel, believers in Jesus are now part of the chosen of God. But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of Him who hath called you out of darkness into His marvellous light (I Pet. 2:9). God has extended the same love to the gentile that He did to Abraham and His descendants. God through the sacrifice of Jesus has now made a covenant with us to become His children. We are grafted into the vine to become part of God's family. Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in Me (John 15:4)

Therefore, God will preserve the believer just like He has done for Israel. There may be times that we feel like there is no hope for us. Such times are just like when God stepped in on Israel's behalf and delivered them out of the situation they were in. He will do the same for all those that have made Jesus Lord and Savior of their lives. When troubles come your way, call on God. He will deliver you out of or carry you through the trial.

And the LORD shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto His heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen (II Tim. 4:18).

Thought for Today:

: Each part of the body of Christ is dependent upon every other part to survive, and must function only in its design. A liver cannot be a leg.
Christ Revealed:

When the Lord struck King Azariah with leprosy and thrust him out from being king (II Kin. 15:5-7). This foreshadows the time when Christ shall reign upon the earth and all who have ignored or refused His merciful gift of salvation shall be cast into the lake of fire (Rev. 20:15).
Word Studies:

14:10 lifted thee up, made you proud; 14:12 put to the worse, defeated; 14:25 sea of the plain, the Dead Sea; 15:5 a several house, a separated house; 15:20 exacted, assessed, taxed; 15:25 in his room, in his stead, place.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio sponsored by Dorothy W Ralston • Staff: Cheryl Walker • Government Official: Sen. Richard Shelby (AL) • Country: Colombia (38.6 million) in northwestern South America • Major language: Spanish • New government has declared religious freedom • 93% Catholic; 4% Protestant; .5% Tibal; .2% Muslim; .1% Baha'i; .1% Jewish; 2.1% non-Religious/Other • Prayer Suggestion: Go to God in prayer with a heart and life that are keeping His Commandments and He will answer you (I John 4:7-8).
Optional Reading: Romans 9

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Kings 16 – 17
Highlights:

Ahaz reigns in Judah, defiles the Temple; Hoshea reigns in Israel; fall of Samaria; captivity and deportations of Israel
And Ahaz took the silver and gold that was found in the house of the LORD, and in the treasures of the king's house, and sent it for a present to the king of Assyria (II Kings 16:8).

After Solomon's reign as king of Israel, the kingdom ended up dividing into two nations. Judah and Benjamin stood as a nation. The rest of the tribes were still known as Israel. All of the kings of Israel that came after the division were evil. Many of the kings of Judah were also evil. From the division of the kingdom to their overthrow by Babylon, the nations of Israel and Judah experienced many years of serving false gods and worshipping idols.

There were several kings of Judah that would break these patterns. These included Asa, Jehoshaphat, Hezekiah and Josiah amongst others. During their reigns, Judah would experience periods of revival and tear down the idols and groves,only to have them rebuilt and replanted by another king who did not serve God. Ahaz was one of these kings who did not serve God. Ahaz was an evil man. He practiced many rituals of the heathen nations. He even had his son walk through fire. There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch (Deut. 18:10).

Ahaz was threatened by invasion from Israel and Syria. They had surrounded Jerusalem. Ahaz was afraid for himself and perhaps his people. He took the treasures from the house of God to use as a bribe to buy the help of the king of Assyria. In exchange for this bribe, Assyria attacked Syria and killed their king, Rezin.

Ahaz showed great selfishness in stealing from God to save his own life. He could have repented of his sinful acts and turned to God for help. Many in his position had done just that. God would have surely answered his prayer and delivered Judah. Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much (James 5:16).

Though we likewise at times have sinned against God, we simply need to repent of those sins. We can turn away from the evil we do and turn to a life of good works for God. He will hear our prayers and forgive us of our sins.

Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the LORD (Acts 3:19).

Thought for Today:

A half-hearted commitment to Christ brings instability to every other area of our lives.
Christ Revealed:

Through the original Brasen (brass) Altar made by Solomon (II Kin. 16:14; II Chr. 4:1). The Brasen Altar is a type of the cross on which Christ, our whole Burnt Offering, offered Himself to God (Heb. 9:14). Unlike the necessary daily sacrifices offered by the priests on the Brasen Altar, this He did once (once for all), on the cross, when He offered up Himself (7:27).
Word Studies:

16:11 against King Ahaz, before King Ahaz arrived; 16:13 meat offering, meal or grain offering or unleavened bread, oil, and a portion of incense (see Lev. 2:1); 16:18 entry without, turned he from, he removed the covered walkway for the King of Assyria.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Rita Guerra • Government Officials: Rep. Ted Deutch (FL), Rep. Candice S. Miller (MI) and Rep. Blaine Luetkemeyer (MO) • Country: Comoros (563,000) in the Mozambique Channel of the Indian Ocean • Major languages: Shaafi Islam (Swahili dialect) and Malagasy • Limited religious freedom • 99.7% Muslim; .2% Roman Catholic/Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to fill you with love for the unlovely (I John 4:7-8).
Optional Reading: Romans 10

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Kings 18 – 20
Highlights:

Hezekiah's reign; Assyria invades Judah; Hezekiah and Isaiah pray; Hezekiah's miraculous healing
Ibeseech Thee, O LORD, remember now how I have walked before Thee in truth and with a perfect heart, and have done that which is good in Thy sight. And Hezekiah wept sore (II Kings 20:3).

King Hezekiah had become very sick. The news came to him from the prophet Isaiah that he was going to die. Isaiah even instructed the king to take care of any unfinished business, so we can assume his death was close at hand.

Like many of us, Hezekiah was not ready to die. Instead of just resigning himself to this bad news, he decided to do something about it. He prayed a sincere prayer to God.

was no ordinary prayer. Hezekiah put his entire focus towards speaking to God. Hezekiah had things left to do in life. He cried out to God passionately. God heard his prayer as He always does. For the eyes of the LORD are over the righteous, and His ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the LORD is against them that do evil (I Pet. 3:12).

Isaiah had not traveled far when God spoke to him. He gave the prophet another message to take back to Hezekiah. This message had much better news than the first one.

The Lord was answering Hezekiah's prayer with a yes. God would give him fifteen more years to live. He would not only heal Hezekiah, but there were more blessings to come. These included liberating Judah from enemies around them.

If there was ever any doubt, this account proves prayer changes things. Some might wonder why those that are sick ask for prayer. Scripture has much to say on this. Is any sick among you? Let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him (James 5:14-15).

When sickness comes on you or those around you, remember to pray for the Lord to heal them. God heals in many ways. He uses doctors. Other times He may heal by Himself supernaturally. Though we may be disappointed, there are times that God heals by taking the one who is sick home to be with Him in heaven. This is trying for those left behind. It is the ultimate healing for the believer.

Who His own self bare our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed

Thought for Today:

The church of our day must be careful not to let their traditions overrule the commandments of God.
Christ Portrayed:

By Hezekiah, who was faithful in leading the Kingdom of Judah back to God and His Word (II Kin. 18:1-6) a foreshadowing of the words of Jesus to the Pharisees in His attempt to awaken them to their need to see themselves as sinners and recognize Him as their Savior (Mark 2:17).
Word Studies:

18:6 clave, clung, was devoted to; 18:17 Tartan, the title of Assyria's general, commander in chief; Rabsaris, the chief financial official; Rabshakeh, the chief officer, or possibly chief cup-bearer; 18:31 by a present, by paying tribute; 19:3 bring forth, give birth; 19:7 blast, spirit of bad fortune; 20:3 sore, bitterly and loud.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio sponsored by Mrs Audrey M Johnson • Staff: Beth Carlton • Government Official: Rep. Vernon Buchanan (FL) • Country: Congo, Republic of the (2 million) in west-central Africa • Major languages: French and Lingala • Limited religious freedom, but government hostility has lessened • 41% Roman Catholic; 20% fetishism and belief in ancestral spirits; 17% Protestant; 9% cults • Prayer Suggestion: If we ask anything agreeing with His will, He both hears and answers (I John 5:14-15).
Optional Reading: Romans 11

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 119:18

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk