Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read II Samuel 21 – 22

Highlights:

God punishes Israel as a result of King Saul's broken vow; Seven members of Saul's family put to death; Breaking a promise is a serious matter (II Sam. 21:1-6); David's inspiring tribute to God (chap. 22).
The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence (II Sam. 22:3).

David had most definetely seen his share of adversities. As a young man, God had blessed him. God had given David many great victories. David had also seen many dark days in his life.

David had been hunted by Saul because of jealousy. He had fallen into sin by taking another man's wife in the affair he had with Bathesheba. He even went as far as to have her husband, Uriah, killed. His children had been rebellious to a great degree. His son, Amnon, had raped his daughter, Tamar. Absalom, another son of David, had taken revenge on Amnon and killed his own brother. This caused such issues between David and Absalom that Absalom rose up against David. He tried to take David's place as king. This caused a war between the two that ended in Absalom's death.

It would be fairly easy to look at all that happened to David and wonder, was God still active in David's life? There is no question as to how David felt on the subject.

Thought for Today:

If we feel our hearts have grown cold to the Lord, repent, pray, read His Word and turn back to Him.
Christ Portrayed:

As the One we call upon for salvation (II Sam. 22:4). Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved (Acts 4:12).
Word Studies:

21:5 coasts, boundaries, territories; 22:3 horn of my salvation, saving strength; 22:6 prevented, confronted; 22:19 stay, support; 22:27 froward, perverse; unsavoury, astute, cunning; 22:31 buckler, defender; 22:46 close places, strongholds.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Country: Bhutan (2 million) in the eastern Himalayas of central Asia • Major languages: Tibetan and Nepalese dialects • Public worship, evangelism, and proselytization are illegal • 50-70% Buddhist; 24-45% Hindu; 5% Muslim; 1% Protestant/Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Pray when you are afflicted and suffering (James 5:13).
Optional Reading: Acts 20

Memory Verse for the Week: John 11:26

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Samuel 23 – 24
Highlights:

The last written words of David to his mighty men (II Sam. 23:8-17); His top "three" of honor roll (23:18-39); David sins (24:1-10); three-day plague; David builds an altar; his sacrifice (24:11-14).
Now these be the last words of David. David the son of Jesse said, and the man who was raised up on high, the anointed of the God of Jacob, and the sweet psalmist of Israel, said, The Spirit of the LORD spake by me, and His word was in my tongue (II Samuel 23:1-2).

David had come to the end of his life. If any man had lived a full life, it was David. In some ways, his life was not so different than any other individual. He had experienced great mountaintops and he had walked through deep valleys. Most of us can look back at life and say the same thing. David only did it on a much grander scale.

As a boy, David most likely had no idea the direction his life would go. Most people have dreams of things they wish to accomplish. What are the chances David dreamed of becoming king of the nation of Israel? That would have been more than enough, but he also is one of the most well known individuals from the Word of God. Thousands of years after his death, he is still known to many of the world.

David is even one of Jesus Christ's most mentioned earthly ancestors. It is often mentioned that Christ was of the house of David. He was even referred to as the Son of David.

Yes, there is little doubt that David had no idea of the notoriety he was to have. Even with his place as king, he probably would have never figured on being remembered by so many. No, David may not have known, but God had His plan for David's life. Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began (II Tim. 1:9).

God knew what was in store for David. He knew of the things David could accomplish for God's people. God knew of the potential that lived inside David. God also knew the mistakes David would make. For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things (I John 3:20).

David did not always make the right choices in life. There were many times he strayed off of the path that God had for him. But, early in his life he learned to trust in God. This is the reason he was called a man after God's own heart.

God has special work for all of us. There is something that He has planned for each of our lives. There may be times that we mess up. We may even abandon the roadway God has paved for us. It is still our roadway. It is still God's plan for our lives. But, to do our best we must get back to the Lord.

At the end of life, the believer should desire to look back and see a life used for godly things. It may be hard to accomplish, but it is important to set our hearts on God and doing His will. That will bring us to a final destination that leaves a legacy for Christ. If this is done, some of Paul's last words could be ours.

I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love His appearing

Thought for Today:

Will you be able to say you finished your earthly life with joy?
Christ Revealed:

Through the silver which David used to purchase the threshingfloor upon which he built . . . an altar unto the Lord (II Sam. 24:24-25). Silver symbolizes Christ's redemption offered for all on the cross. Judas said unto them, What will ye give me? . . . And they covenanted (agreed) with him for thirty pieces of silver (Matt. 26:15).
Word Studies:

23:10 clave, clung; spoil, plunder, loot; 23:13 chief, foremost, captains; 23:14 hold, stronghold, fortification; 24:10 heart smote him, heart bothered him; 24:14 a great strait, great distress, difficulty; 24:16 stay now thine hand, do no more.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Associate Justice John Paul Stevens, Sen. Pat Roberts (KS), Rep. Trey Radel (FL), and Rep. Dan J. Benishek (MI) • Country: Bolivia (8 million) in South America • Major languages: Spanish and Quechua • Religious freedom • 92% Roman Catholic; 3% Protestant; 3% Baha'i • Prayer Suggestion: Intercede fervently in prayer for others (James 5:16).
Optional Reading: Acts 21

Memory Verse for the Week: John 11:26

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Kings 1 – 2:25
Highlights:

King David at death's door; Adonijah organizes another revolt, but nothing thwarts the sovereign purpose of God; Look who stops the coup (I Kin. 1:11-53); David charges Solomon to walk with God (2:1-4).
And keep the charge of the LORD thy God, to walk in His ways, to keep His statutes, and His commandments, and His judgments, and His testimonies, as it is written in the law of Moses, that thou mayest prosper in all that thou doest, and whithersoever thou turnest thyself (I Kings 2:3).

As we talked about yesterday, David was coming to the end of his life. Solomon, his son, was taking David's place as king of the nation of Israel. David wanted to pass on the best advice to Solomon that he possibly could.

It is obvious from what David chose to say to his son here at the end of his life that his greatest desire was that Solomon follow the Lord. David basically charges Solomon to be obedient to all of God's commands. He also says that obedience to God will ensure that Solomon prospers.

David knew of what he was speaking. God had surely allowed him to prosper in his lifetime. David had blessed him as a shepherd, soldier and king. David knew the only way in life was God's way. God had led him this far and would now lead him one last time into eternity. For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes (Rev. 7:17).

David could have chosen many things to say as his last words to his son. This son was inheriting his throne. He could have given him a lesson in military strategy, for David had won many battles. He could have spent this time teaching him of diplomacy, for David at times had made friends out of enemies.

David chose his last words well. He wanted to pass on the most important thing he could. He wanted his son to be a godly man as king. Surely, he wanted Solomon to avoid the mistakes he had made himself. If Solomon would follow this advice, he could avoid the snares of sin that David had fallen into more than once. It is often only one little thing that catches us off guard. Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,(Heb. 12:1).

Most everyone wants a better life for their children than they had. Many work hard their whole lives so they might put their children through college and give them a chance to advance themselves. Others teach their children a trade at a young age so they never struggle for a job. Still others save their whole life to leave an inheritance to their children.

The greatest inheritance we could give to our children is to live a godly life in front of them. Read them the Word of God. Pray with them. Encourage them to live for God. These are the things that will change their lives forever.

And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also (II Tim. 2:2).

Thought for Today:

Giving verbal instruction to our children is very important, but even more they need to see our godly example.
Christ Revealed:

By the oil used to anoint Solomon (I Kin. 1:39). Oil, symbolic of the Holy Spirit, was poured out upon those chosen for special service. Jesus is the Anointed One of God: God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good (Acts 10:38). The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He hath anointed Me to preach the Gospel to the poor ((needy) (Luke 4:18; see Is. 61:1).
Word Studies:

1:2 cherish, be of service as his nurse; 1:6 not displeased, never rebuked or corrected; 2:6 hoar head . . . peace, die of old age in peace; 2:17 say thee nay, refuse your request.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Country: Bosnia and Hercegovina (4 million) on the Balkan Peninsula in southeastern Europe • Major language: Serbo-Croatian • Little evangelism being done • 40% Muslim; 28% Serbian Orthodox; 14% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Remember that prayer changes things (James 5:16-18).
Optional Reading: Acts 22

Memory Verse for the Week: John 13:34

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Kings 2:26 – 4
Highlights:

Prophecy against Eli fulfilled (I Kin. 2:26-27); Abiathar banished from the priesthood; Solomon's instructions concerning Joab and Shimei (2:28-46; see 2:5-9); Solomon's marriage to Pharaoh's daughter; Solomon's dream.
And all Israel heard of the judgment which the king had judged; and they feared the king: for they saw that the wisdom of God was in him, to do judgment (I Kings 3:28).

Solomon was given the gift of wisdom by God. Solomon had desired to be wise so he could be a good ruler over the people of God. He knew he needed God's help to be a just leader.

The incident recounted here is a fairly well known scripture. Two women were contending over a child. Both of the women had a child during the night. One child died. One child stayed alive. Both women were claiming that the living child was theirs and that the dead child belonged to the other.

Using the great wisdom given by God, Solomon discerned how to tell which one was lying. He knew the mother of the child would do anything to protect it. So, Solomon told them since it was impossible to tell who was truly the mother, that they would divide the child into two pieces. Each woman could take one half home.

The real mother spoke up to protect her child. She was willing to let the other woman have the child to save its life. The imposter was willing to let the child die. It was easy to tell who the child's mother was.

Solomon could have used many different approaches to resolve this dilemma. He could have formed a panel of judges to listen to the facts and decide. The child could have been taken into custody of the government.

Solomon had confidence in the wisdom bestowed upon him by God. He must have known no other power could enable him to make better decisions than by his using God's gift. He was truly blessed to be wise. O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are His judgments, and His ways past finding out! (Rom. 11:33).

Solomon was probably the second wisest person to ever walk the face of the earth. Jesus of course was the wisest. He also let His godly wisdom demonstrate God well. But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God (I Cor. 1:24).

The wisdom that can only come from God is a tremendous thing to possess. Sometimes it is difficult to make the right choice. Godly wisdom directs us in the way God desires. There are many gifts one can receive from God. Wisdom is definitely one that will help guide your way through life.

But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit (I Cor. 12:7-8).

Thought for Today:

Fervent love for God is the best proof of godly wisdom.
Christ Portrayed:

Through the wisdom which God gave Solomon (I Kin. 3:12). That no flesh should glory in His presence. But of Him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, accord-ing as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord (I Cor. 1:29-31).
Word Studies:

2:44 is privy to, knowingly did; 3:1 made affinity, made an alliance by marriage; 3:19 overlaid it, laid on him; 3:26 her bowels yearned, she had motherly compassion; 4:6 tribute, forced labor; 4:28 dromedaries, young camels, swift steeds; charge, responsibility.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Radio Broadcasts: sponsored by Lt. Walter and Penny Swanson • Government Official: Rep. Jim R. Langevin (RI) • Country: Botswana (1.5 million) in southern Africa • Major languages: English and Setswana • Limited religious freedom because of local chiefs • 58% Christian; 40% Indigenous; .8% Baha'i; .2% Muslim; .2% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Be grateful for your inheritance as a child of the King (I Pet. 1:3-4).
Optional Reading: Acts 23

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Kings 5 – 7
Highlights:

Solomon plans construction of the Temple; Check out how many years it took before Solomon began to build the Temple of God and how long before he began accumulating horses (I Kin. 4:26; 6:1).
So was ended all the work that king Solomon made for the house of the LORD. And Solomon brought in the things which David his father had dedicated; even the silver, and the gold, and the vessels, did he put among the treasures of the house of the LORD (I Kings 7:51).

Solomon finished a work his father, David, could not. The building of the temple of God was now completed. There was now a place of worship. The Ark of God now had a home. There was now a permanent place for sacrifice to be made.

This had been a long time in coming. David had begun gathering the materials years earlier. He wanted to do his part to help ensure this project would be completed. Solomon could very easily have pushed the building of the temple aside. Many kings that came after him did not regard matters concerning God to be their top priority. As a matter of fact, some turned to other gods. Solomon, himself, would fall into this trap. The Word of God warns us of this danger. But I see another law in my members warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members (Rom. 7:23).

That time was in the future. Yes, the days of disobedience would come for Solomon. However, at this time, he was determined to give the Lord his service.

Most people would have found it difficult to give up such treasures that were in their possession. The things mentioned in this verse had to be of great value. Solomon knew those things may have been in his possession, but they belonged to God. They had been dedicated to Him by David.

There is much dedicated to God that humans later try to withhold from Him. People keep their time, their finances and even parts of their lives that should be turned over to God. When we become believers, we must remember that we gain a Lord as well as a Savior. There is no gaining the one without the other. People deceive themselves when they live that way. And why call ye Me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say? (Luke 6:46).

We need to give Christ all that is dedicated to Him. If you are truly born again, this includes your entire life. There is no need to fear this. Your life will be in hands that only want the best for you.

If any man serve Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve Me, him will my Father honour (John 12:26).

Thought for Today:

Solomon's earthly temple glorified God; we too can glorify Him in our bodies.
Christ Portrayed:

Through the Temple (I Kin. 6). Christ is the true Temple (John 2:21). Through Christ all believers have access to God (Rom. 5:12-21). Through Him we . . . have access by one Spirit unto the Father (Eph. 2:18).
Word Studies:

5:3 under the soles of his feet, under his control; 5:4 evil occurrent, evil happening; 5:13 levy, forced labor; 6:2 cubit, about 18 inches; 6:5 oracle, Holy of Holies. Oracle in I Kings 8:8-9, inner sanctuary, location of the two tables of stone. God cannot be separated from His Word whether spoken or written; 6:38 month (of) Bul, October/November; 7:4 ranks, rows; 7:9 coping, the top, the highest course of stone; 7:14 cunning, skilled.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Fred Upton (MI) • Country: Brazil (168 million) in South America • Major languages: Portuguese and Spanish • Religious freedom • 67% Catholic; 21% Protestant; 4% spiritist; .7% Buddhist; .7% Muslim; .15% Indigenous; 2.4% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Offer your gift of praise to God in prayer (I Pet. 2:5).
Optional Reading: Acts 24

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Kings 8
Highlights:

The Temple is finished; The priests carry in the Ark; Solomon prays;The glory of the Lord fills the House as trumpet players and singers with cymbals . . . psalteries and harps . . . as one (II Chr. 5:12-13).
Blessed be the LORD, that hath given rest unto His people Israel, according to all that He promised: there hath not failed one word of all his good promise, which He promised by the hand of Moses His servant (I Kings 8:56).

The nation of Israel had surely not had much rest in its past even though they had been blessed abundantly. They had been led by God. He had taken care of them through much hardship and calamity.

They had been enslaved in Egypt. God raised up a deliverer in Moses to lead them out. Pharaoh chased them down with his army. When it appeared they were finished, God destroyed Pharaoh and his army in the Red Sea.

Following that, Israel spent many years wandering in a strange wilderness. At times, they thought they might starve or thirst to death. God sent them food and water.

Finally, they arrived in the land of promise. They found there were many great enemies there. God used great military leaders like Joshua, Gideon and even David to defeat these heathen nations.

There is definitely a theme here. Everytime Israel fell into a place of tribulation, God made a way of deliverance for them. God is a provider for His people. He will never abandon them. Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee (Heb. 13:5).

During the reigns of Saul and David, there was still much contention. Even though Israel had settled into their new home, they still had enemies around them. Not only did they have external enemies, but there was internal fighting.

Saul thought David would steal his throne. So, he hunted David until his death. David faced rebellion, led by his son, Absalom, who was trying to take his throne.

All that was past now. Most of Israel's enemies were defeated. Solomon would not have to fight the wars of his father, David. God had kept his promise to His people. They now lived in a place of refuge. Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the Law, and the service of God, and the promises (Rom. 9:4).

What a blessing to know that God still works the same today. If we call on Him, He will answer. God meets our needs sometimes before we even know we have a need.

Those who have become believers are also assured of a land of promise, as well. In Heaven there will be no enemies to fight. There will be no walls, houses or temples to build. Christ our Lord and Savior, himself, will have it all ready for us when we arrive. Make sure you are going. Accept Jesus as your Savior.

In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto Myself; that where I am, there ye may be also (John 14:2-3).

Thought for Today:

We can thank God that the sacrifice of Jesus was greater than the sacrifice of a host of animals at the temple dedication.
Christ Revealed:

As the perfect Temple of God before whom all kings of the earth one day must bow (I Kin. 8:54; John 2:19-21). Wherefore God also hath highly exalted Him, and given Him a Name which is above every name (Phil. 2:9).
Word Studies:

8:2 Ethanim (later called Tishri), September/October; 8:37 blasting, blight; 8:47 bethink themselves, learn their lesson and repent.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts: sponsored by Rev. Gladys V. Davis • Government Official: Rep. Jack Kingston (GA) • Country: Brunei (400,000) on the northern coast of Borneo • Major languages: Malay and English • Limited religious freedom • 66% Muslim; 19% Chinese religions; 6% animist; 4% Protestant; 4% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Pray that your life will be a good testimony to others, even when faced with opposition (I Pet. 2:12).
Optional Reading: Acts 25

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Kings 9 – 11
Highlights:

Two paths before Solomon and their consequences (I Kin. 9:2-9); Solomon's fame and his shame chapters 10 & 11. Solomon ignores qualifications (Deut. 17:14-20) and eventually forsakes the Lord and worships idols (I Kin. 11:4-10).
For it came to pass, when Solomon was old, that his wives turned away his heart after other gods: and his heart was not perfect with the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father (I Kings 11:4).

Solomon had disobeyed God when he took wives that were not of the nation of Israel. God had strictly forbidden His people to intermarry with those of other nations. He commanded them to stay separate. We too are commanded; Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? (II Cor. 6:14).

Solomon married women that served other gods. Over the course of time their worship corrupted Solomon's heart. He began to look towards these other gods just like his wives.

Some would say that Solomon still loved and served the one true God. This is, however, not possible. The Word of God is very clear on this subject. No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon (Luke 16:13).

Over the years, there have been many who made the same mistake that Solomon made. They married an unbeliever. The majority do this in hope of the lost person turning their heart and trusting in Jesus.

This could happen. But, usually, one of three things is likely to happen. First, the Christian goes through life joined with an unbeliever. This will cause issues because they have different outlooks on life. They may disagree on how to raise children and other important life issues. Second, these issues could lead to divorce. Third, the believer begins compromising their beliefs. This can lead to the believer falling into a backslidden state.

This is why it is so important to be obedient to the Word of God. Obedience keeps our life on the right track. By staying on God's track, the blessings of God come our way. This could include a godly mate. So, if you are unmarried, pray that God sends you one who belongs to Him. If you are in a situation married to an unbeliever, pray for their salvation everyday and live a Christ-like life.

For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy (I Cor. 7:14).

Thought for Today:

Earthly riches can never satisfy as much as obeying the will of God.
Christ Revealed:

By David who lived to please the Lord in integrity of heart (I Kin. 9:4). Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man (Luke 2:52).
Word Studies:

9:13 Cabul, displeasing, as worthless; 9:15 levy, tax in the form of forced labor; 9:22 bondmen, slaves, forced laborers; 9:24 Millo, a mound of earth raised as a fortress just north of Mount Zion and outside the original city of David; 10:2 train, royal attendants; 10:5 there was no more spirit in her, she was breathless, overwhelmed, amazed; 10:19 stays, armrests; 10:26 bestowed, stationed; 11:1 strange, foreign; 11:5 abomination, horrible, detestable idol; 11:31 rend, tear.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts: sponsored by Thursday Morning Prayer • Government Official: Rep. Keith Rothfus (PA) • Country: Bulgaria (8.2 million) in southeastern Europe • Major languages: Bulgarian and ethnic languages • Newly opened to evangelism • 85% Eastern Orthodox; 12% Muslim Sunni; 1% Shi'a Muslim; .6% Catholic; .27% Protestant; .1% Armenian Gregorian; .03% Jewish; 1% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Wives, pray for a quiet, loving spirit to win your husband to Christ (I Pet. 3:1-2).
Optional Reading: Acts 26

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Kings 12 – 13

Highlights:

Rehoboam follows advice of foolish friends. Selfish ambition in Jeroboam and Rehoboam. The nation splits into the Northern and Southern Kingdoms. Consequences of not obeying the Commands of God (I Kin. 13:11-32).
He said unto him, I am a prophet also as thou art; and an angel spake unto me by the word of the LORD, saying, Bring him back with thee into thine house, that he may eat bread and drink water. But he lied unto him (I Kings 13:18).

There are two men in this verse that are both called prophets. Neither of these men represent that office as God would have them. Both men end up falling into sin.

The one delivered his message to Jeroboam. He stood his ground there when he was enticed to go back to the king's house to eat and drink. He then allowed himself to be completely deceived by the man referred to as the old prophet.

The old prophet lies to the first man. He tells him an angel delivered a message from God. He did this to get the first man to return to his home.

For no reason at all, the two men get themselves tangled in a web of disobedience and lies. As always, sin is a dangerous place to be trapped. It ends here with not only the first man's life being over but his ministry to God abruptly ends as he is killed by a lion.

There are lessons to be learned in life from what transpired here. This is a sad tale as a man of God allowed himself to be so easily deceived. He had heard God's voice! God commanded him exactly how to conduct himself after he delivered his message to Jeroboam. All he had to do was follow God's instructions and not anyone else's. Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men (Acts 5:29).

The old prophet was perhaps at one time or another more concerned with godly things than his own curiosity. If this was true, he knew his deception could cause this first man to disobey God. He would have known this would be a costly error. Whether out of ignorance, malice or indifference, the old prophet became the false prophet. The Word of God is very vocal on this subject. Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves (Matt. 7:15).

The old prophet did a great wrong in the lies he told. These lies cost a man his life. It might seem that this might be a greater sin than that of the first man. All he did was fall victim to lies. But his death proves his sin is far greater than that.

God had given this man a very specific mission. He had exact directions. The old prophet lied, but this man believed him more than God. He didn't say let me pray first and ask God. In actuality by not following what God had commanded him he chose to believe a lie and disobey God.

When God speaks to our hearts, let us follow his commands. His Word can be our guide. God will never contradict the Bible. Don't let a deceiving spirit compromise a life living for God.

Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world (I John 4:1).

Thought for Today:

Regret can never undo years spent living for sin and selfish pleasure.
Christ Revealed:

Through Shemaiah who spoke for the Lord (I Kin. 12:22). Jesus spoke only what the Father told Him: JI have not spoken of Myself; but the Father which sent Me, He gave Me a Commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak (John 12:49).
Word Studies:

12:14 scorpions, scourges with sharp points; 12:32 high places, pagan shrines; 13:6 Intreat, Plead in prayer; 13:32 cried, shouted, declared.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Niki Tsongas (MA) and Del. Pedro R. Pierluisi (P.R) • Country: Burkina Faso (11 million) in western Africa • Major languages: French and Sudanic tribal languages • Religious freedom • 48% Muslim; 33% belief in false gods, idolatry, and heathenism; 14% Roman Catholic; 5% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Husbands, give honor to your wives, or else your prayers will be obstructed (I Pet. 3:7).
Optional Reading: Acts 27

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Kings 14 – 15
Highlights:

Jeroboam pays dearly for his sins (I Kin. 13:33-34) by the death of his son (14:1-16). One king after another leavesS a legacy of evil in the sight of the Lord (15:26,34).
For the LORD shall smite Israel, as a reed is shaken in the water, and he shall root up Israel out of this good land, which he gave to their fathers, and shall scatter them beyond the river, because they have made their groves, provoking the LORD to anger (I Kings 14:15).

There is always a cost for being disobedient to God. Sin definitely has it's price. It separates us from God. It's final results, unless one repents, end in death and hell. For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord (Rom. 6:23).

Israel had fallen prey to the same sin many times. It seemed they had lack of trust in the One True God which they could not see. Consequently, they found it easy to turn their backs on God and turn to false gods for which they could construct idols in which to visibly worship.

The worship of false gods is strictly forbidden throughout the Word of God. In the Old Testament, the nation of Israel had heard this from God through Moses. Thou shalt have no other gods before Me. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: (Ex. 20:3-4). In the New Testament, Paul lists the worship of idols with works of the flesh that separate anyone from God. Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God (Gal. 5:19-21).

Therefore, Israel knew that what they were doing was sin, but they continued on in their ways. The price they were to pay would be a high one. It would destroy them as a nation.

The consequences of their sin would be the downfall of these people as a country. They would be separated and scattered all over the world. This separation would last for nearly 1900 years. It began after Christ and His apostles died and lasted until 1948. That is the year Israel was established again as a nation.

There is a cost to any sin. There is a spiritual cost which can include eternal punishment if one does not seek frogiveness through the Lord Jesus Christ. However, there are often also earthly ramifications from sin. These could include effects on your health, finances or family life.

Life is best lived if we don't have to worry about these consequences. The way to do that is to follow Christ and avoid sin. He can always be counted on to lead us in the right way.

She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more (John 8:11).

Thought for Today:

Don't envy the wicked, rather enjoy walking in the light of God's Word.
Christ Revealed:

: In Asa's ridding the land of idols and sodomites (I Kin. 15:11-14). Christ cleansed the Temple (Matt. 21:12-13; John 2:13-17). As Christians, we are the Temples of God, bought with His own blood (I Cor. 6:19-20; II Cor. 6:16-17) and are cleansed of all unrighteousness when (I John 1:9).
Word Studies:

14:3 cracknels, cakes or fig bars; 14:5 feign herself, pretend; 14:6 heavy tidings, very sad news; 14:15 groves, pagan idol shrines; 15:12 took away the sodomites, banished homosexual male prostitutes; 15:17 suffer, allow or permit.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Sen. Daniel A. Webster (FL), and Rep. G.K. Butterfield, Jr. (NC) • Country: Burundi (6 million) in east-central Africa • Major languages: Kirundi and French • Losing religious freedom • 51% Roman Catholic; 12% animist; 11% Protestant; 1% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Pray for unity of spirit with other believers (I Pet. 3:8).
Optional Reading: Acts 28

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Kings 16 – 18
Highlights:

Prophecy of Jehu against Baasha (I Kin. 16:1-7); comp. Gal. 6:7); More evil kings follow until Omri, who wrought evil . . . worse than all that were before him (I Kin. 16:25); Ahab, Jezebel; and finally Elijah.
At a time when Israel's obedience to Jehovah was very unpopular, Elijah the Tishbite (I Kings 17:1) stood before wicked King Ahab in the Northern Kingdom to declare the results of ignoring the Word of God. Elijah's faith was in God's Word which reads: Take heed to yourselves, that your [minds and] (I Kings 14:15).

There is always a cost for being disobedient to God. Sin definitely has it's price. It separates us from God. It's final results, unless one repents, end in death and hell. For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord heart be not deceived, and ye turn aside, and serve other gods, and worship them; And then the Lord's wrath be kindled against you, and he shut up the heaven, that there be no rain, and that the land yield not her fruit; and lest ye perish quickly from off the good land which the Lord giveth you (Deut. 11:16-17).

And Elijah the Tishbite, who was of the inhabitants of Gilead, said unto Ahab, As the Lord God of Israel liveth, before whom I stand, there shall not be dew nor rain these years, but according to my word. (I Kings 17:1).

When Elijah said these years, he meant "an indefinite time" – until you are ready to repent, there will be no more rain.According to my word meant – "No one else on earth can announce when the drought will end and the rain begins." Three-and-one-half years passed (Luke 4:25; James 5:17). Then, as suddenly as Elijah first appeared, he once more pointed his finger at Ahab's face and boldly stated: And it came to pass, when Ahab saw Elijah, that Ahab said unto him, Art thou he that troubleth Israel? And he answered, I have not troubled Israel; but thou, and thy father's house, in that ye have forsaken the commandments of the Lord, and thou hast followed Baalim (18:17-18). After denouncing the king, he placed himself above the king by demanding: Therefore send and gather to me all Israel at Mount Carmel – meaning the elders and leaders of Israel (18:19). Elijah also demanded that the king bring the 450 prophets of Baal who did eat at Jezebel's table. This confirmed that the queen was the one who paid their salaries. Ahab must have felt compelled to cooperate because he responded immediately.

Elijah was intent on removing all doubt that Jehovah alone was God and that Baal was a false god. He used the only two weapons in our arsenal – the Word of God and effectual fervent prayer (James 5:16): I have done all these things at Thy Word.... Then the fire of the Lord fell (I Kings 18:36,38). Then Elijah stayed in fervent prayer – sending his servant to look for a sign of rain until he finally reported a small cloud in the sky (18:43-44). These events proved that Elijah's God was the One True God.

The consequences of their sin would be the downfall of these people as a country. They would be separated and scattered all over the world. This separation would last for nearly 1900 years. It began after Christ and His apostles died and lasted until 1948. That is the year Israel was established again as a nation.

The Lord does not always answer immediately, as He did then when the fire fell. Men ought always to pray and not faint (lose heart, and give up), meaning never quit praying until we have an answer (Luke 18:1; Eph. 6:18; Col. 4:2). Often there must be a time of fervent prayer, an attitude of intense asking, seeking, and knocking, such as the widow who went before the unjust judge day and night, and as the one who rose at midnight, knocked on his neighbor's door, and said: A friend in his journey has come to me (Matt. 7:7-8); Luke 11:5-10; 18:1-8). It is not that God is hard to persuade. Elijah did more than just pray or leave it up to the Lord. He also called for all the leaders of the nation and the false prophets, built the altar, prepared the wood, the sacrifice, and all the water.

Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly (heartfelt, continued) that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months. And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit. (James 5:16-18).

Thought for Today:

Be sure of this, God always acts in agreement with His written Word.
Christ Portrayed:

By Elijah, whom God used to provide flour and oil for the needy widow at Zarephath (I Kin. 17:13-16). Christ our Provider supplies all our needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus (Phil. 4:19).
Word Studies:

17:16 wasted not, was not used up; 18:4 cut off, murdered; 18:19 eat at Jezebel's table, are provided for by Jezebel; 18:21 halt, waver, undecided.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Tom Jeffrey Cole (OK) and Assoc. Justice Elena Kagan • Country: Cambodia (12 million) in Southeast Asia • Major languages: Khmer and French • Confused and unsettled at this time • 88% Buddhist; 3% animism and spirit worship; 2% Muslim; .6% Roman Catholic/Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Pray that you will sanctify the Lord God in your heart (I Pet. 3:15).
Optional Reading: Romans 1

Memory Verse for the Week: John 13:35

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk