Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Judges 10 – 11
Highlights:

Tola judges Israel twenty-three years; Jair judges Israel; Jephthah chosen captain; his rash vow which cost him his only child; victory over Ammonites.

And the children of Israel said unto the LORD, We have sinned: do thou unto us whatsoever seemeth good unto thee; deliver us only, we pray thee, this day. And they put away the strange gods from among them, and served the LORD: and his soul was grieved for the misery of Israel (Judg. 10:15-16).

God had commanded thou shalt have no other Gods before me... Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them (Ex 20:1-5). He continually warned the children of Israel the consequences of disobeying this command and they had experienced much suffering because they worshiped false gods (Judges 10:8).

And it was so, that when the children of Ammon made war against Israel, the elders of Gilead. . . . said unto Jephthah, Come, and be our captain, that we may fight with the children of Ammon (11:5-6).

Jephthah prayed: If Thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands, Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me . . . shall surely be the Lord's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering (11:30-31). God arranged that Jephthah's daughter should be the first to meet him. Jephthah knew the Scriptures well, and he knew human sacrifices were condemned by God (Leviticus 20:2-5; Deuteronomy 12:29-31; 18:10-12). How could one imagine that this man of God would cut the throat of his daughter to offer her as a burnt offering? To do that would have made God, as well as this man of faith, responsible for a vile murder, since it was the Spirit of the Lord who gave Jephthah his victory (Judges 11:29,32).

How he fulfilled his vow becomes clear as we consider all the facts: she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter (11:34). The Lord had declared that the firstborn were to be "sanctified" – not sacrificed: It is Mine (Exodus 13:2; Numbers 3:13). And his daughter's response to Jephthah's vow made the outcome unmistakably clear. She asked for two months, that I may go up and down upon the mountains and bewail (lament) my virginity (Judges 11:37) – meaning to "bewail that I will never marry." Undoubtedly, in lifelong chastity, she became one of the servants of God in the Tabernacle. I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service (Rom. 12:1).

Jephthah was highly honored as one of the heroes of faith. And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets: Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions (Hebrews 11:32-33).

Thought for Today:

Man looks on a person's outward appearance, but God looks on the heart

Christ Portrayed:

By Jephthah's only child as she wholly submitted to her father's will even as Jesus wholly submitted to His Father's will (Judges 11:34-40). On the night He was betrayed, Jesus prayed: Not as I will, but as Thou wilt (Matthew 26:39).

Word Studies: 11:3 vain men, worthless renegades; 11:37 fellows, virgin female companions; 11:40 lament, commemorate.

Pray for Government Officials: on your local, State, and Federal levels • Pray for Country: Liberia (3 million) in West Africa • Major languages: English and more than 20 local languages of the Niger-Congo language group • Religious freedom • 41% ancestor worship and witchcraft; 21% Muslim; 13% Protestant; 2% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Don't try to impress others with your prayers; pray about whatever is on your heart (Matthew 6:7-8).

Optional Reading: John 17

Memory Verse for the Week: Revelation 5:2 
:angel:

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Judges 12 – 14
Highlights:

Jephthah's victory over the Ephraimites; Jephthah judges Israel six years; Israel delivered to Philistines; birth of Samson, Samson in Timnath; his feast and riddle.

And the woman bare a son, and called his name Samson: and the child grew, and the LORD blessed him. And the Spirit of the LORD began to move him at times in the camp of Dan between Zorah and Eshtaol (Jud. 13:24-25).

In the area of Dan and Ephraim, the Israelites were oppressed by the Philistines for 40 years. During that time, Samson was born. Unlike Jephthah, Samson had a godly mother and father who desired to train him to do what the Angel of the Lord had instructed. Samson's mother was deeply concerned that her son be fully dedicated to the Lord (13:3-21).

From time to time, the Spirit of God came upon Samson and began to move (stir) him (Judges 13:25). Eventually, Samson ruled as a judge. However, early in his life, we see his disregard for his holy calling. His first recorded act of unfaithfulness was friendship with the enemies of God. It seemed that Samson was easily distracted with his own physical desires and satisfactions, such as in Timnath, where he fell in love with a Philistine woman. He ignored Israel's Covenant relationship with the Lord and told his father and his mother . . . get her for me to wife. . . . at that time the Philistines had dominion over Israel (14:1-4).

Samson's undisciplined life typified the spiritual condition of Israel during that period of the Judges and revealed how a self-willed life results in sorrow and suffering for self as well as others. I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me (John 5:30).

All of us are tempted to please ourselves. Self-pleasing comes in many forms: pride, jealousy, theft, refusing to tithe, sexual sins, hate, avoidance of responsibility, using drugs or alcohol, and a host of other things. Every day that we continue in willful sin, Satan's hold becomes stronger, and our chances of deliverance become less likely. Perhaps the greatest deceptive sin is that of presuming the mercy and long-suffering of God will continue indefinitely (Gen. 6:3).

As a Nazarite, Samson was meant to be an example before all Israel of loyal commitment to God. We too are called upon to be separated from the world with a desire to fulfill the Lord's will.

The night is far spent (almost gone), the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light (Romans 13:12).

Thought for Today:

Knowingly living in sin destroys one's usefulness to God.

Word Studies:

12:6 could not frame, could not pronounce; 12:14 nephews, grandsons or other descendants; 13:6 terrible,  awe-inspiring; 13:12 order the child, teach and train; 14:12 sheets, linen garments, like shirts.

Christ Portrayed:

By Samson, who, as a Nazarite, was to be separated or consecrated to God from the womb (birth) to the day of his death (Judges 13:7). Jesus was also set apart and consecrated to God from the womb to the day of His death on the cross. Unlike Samson, who failed God, Jesus totally fulflled God's plan as He said He would do when He left heaven saying: Lo, I come . . . to do Thy will, O God (Hebrews 10:7).

Pray for Government Officials:

on your local, State, and Federal levels • Pray for Country: Libya (5 million) in North Africa • Major languages: Arabic and Italian • No form of Christian witness to Libyans is permitted • 98% Muslim; 2% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Pray that the will of God be done in every situation you face today (Matthew 6:10).

Optional Reading: John 18

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Judges 15 – 17
Highlights:

Samson is denied his wife; Samson slays a thousand Philistines; his moral weakness; the secret of Samson's great strength revealed to Delilah; Samson avenged in his death; Micah's images and hired priests.

She said, The Philistines be upon thee, Samson. And he awoke out of his sleep, and said, I will go out as at other times before, and shake myself. And he wist not that the LORD was departed from him (Judges 16:20).

The early life of Samson is recorded in chapters 13, 14, and 15. Then it appears that many years passed for which we have no record until we read the tragic events in chapter 16.

There is no record, that Samson ever expressed a desire to be used by the Lord to deliver the Israelites from the Philistine's oppression; so it is not a surprise that he rarely prayed for guidance or protection. He also chose nonbelievers in the One True God as his friends.

Early in life, Samson disregarded the spiritual significance of his Nazarite dedication by marrying a Philistine woman. He then became deeply involved in sin as he made friends with Delilah, another Philistine woman. When Samson saw Delilah, he should have thought of his sacred Nazarite vow and his high calling as the judge over God's people. But sin had blinded him to the high calling of his consecration to the Lord, and to the reason he was gifted with great strength. And, as so often happens with each person who presumptuously believes that God's mercy and long-suffering will continue indefinitely, we see Samson entrapped by Delilah's treachery.

Consequently, the Philistines took him, and put out his eyes . . . and bound him with fetters (chains) of brass; and he did grind in the prison house (16:21). Not only did he suffer the gruesome torture of having his eyes gouged out, but he was forced to take the place of an animal and waste his life turning the mill to grind corn into meal.

The tragic story of Samson should send a strong message to every Christian who has ignored his opportunities to use his God-given abilities (talents) to seek . . . first the Kingdom of God, and His righteousness (Matthew 6:33). Samson chose to waste his life on worldliness and self-indulgence (16:19). In contrast, Moses delivered his people from bondage and chose to suffer with them. By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter; Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season (Hebrews 11:24-25).

There are just two walks in life, either the broad (majority) way or the narrow way (living to advance His kingdom). The narrow way leads to life eternal; the broad way is reflected in Matthew 6:32: (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things – what they shall eat, what they shall drink, what they shall wear, where they shall live, and what more they can gain to please the self life. Jesus warned: Beware of covetousness (of material pleasures and earthly desires), for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth (Luke 12:15).

Christ does not say you ought not serve more than one master, but that you can't.

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon (Matthew 6:24).

Thought for Today:

The person who lives to satisfy self cannot fulfill God's purpose for his life.

Word Studies:

15:4 firebrands, torches of flax on fire; 16:7 green withs, small new ropes; 16:11 fast, securely; never . . . occupied, never used; 16:25 make us sport, entertain us; 16:26 Suffer me, Allow me; 17:4 founder, metal worker.

Christ Revealed:

Through the strength God gave to Samson for his last victory over the Philistines (Judges 16:28-30). I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me (Philippians 4:13).

on your local, State, and Federal levels • Pray for Major languages: German and Alemannic dialect • Religious freedom • 87% Roman Catholic; 12% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Ask for your daily needs (Matthew 6:11).

Optional Reading: John 19

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Judges 18 – 19
Highlights:

Danites take Micah's idols and his priest, Jonathan; Danites attack Laish; moral degradation; the Levite's concubine slain.

And it came to pass in those days, when there was no king in Israel, that there was a certain Levite sojourning on the side of mount Ephraim, who took to him a concubine out of Bethlehem-judah (Judges. 19:1).

Israel continued to ignore God's Word. Consequently, we read: In those days there was no king in Israel, but every man did that which was right in his own eyes (Judges 17:6; 21:25; compare 18:1; 19:1). This means they were doing whatever seemed most gratifying.

To illustrate the deplorable moral condition that existed at that time, a Levite, representing spiritual leadership, and his concubine are introduced. We are disappointed to read of the violation of the Law by his relationship with his concubine (Leviticus 21:7) who played the whore against him, and went away from him unto her father's house to Bethlehem- judah (Judges 19:2). But, after four months, the Levite decided that he wanted her back, so he went to her father's house. When the father of the damsel (young woman) saw him, he rejoiced to meet him (19:2-3).

Then the Levite decided to return home several days later, it was too late to complete their journey before nightfall, so they stopped in Gibeah (19:14). Every decision was in complete violation of the Word of God, confirming the fact that in those days there was no king in Israel, but every man did that which was right in his own eyes (Judges 17:6; 21:25; compare 18:1; 19:1).

When we live outside of the boundaries of God's law, we should understand there will be judgment come upon our lives. However, we must understand that any correction from God comes from His love for us. Like any good Father, He wants to spare us from the heartache that sin can bring into our lives. If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him? (Matthew 7:11).

What a blessing to know that as Christians, God is not only our Creator; but our Heavenly Father who has appointed Jesus as our King whom governs over us. He is wise and just. We simply need to turn to His Word for our guidance through life. It will always lead us down the correct path.

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: (II Tim. 3:16).

Thought for Today:

Disobedience and worldly compromise is a silent witness of unconcern about what God has to say.

Word Studies:

18:21 carriage, baggage; 19:17 wayfaring, traveling; 19:19 provender, fodder; 19:22 sons of Belial, evildoers, sons of hell (Deuteronomy 13:13), and sodomites, as in this situation; may know him, may have homosexual relations with him.

Christ Revealed:

In those days there was no king in Israel (Judges 18:1). Christ was the rejected King of Israel. Pilate saith unto them, Shall I crucify your King? The chief priests answered, We have no king but Caesar (John 19:15).

on your local, State, and Federal levels • Pray for Staff: Becca Lucio • Country: Lithuania (4 million) eastern coast of Baltic Sea in northeastern Europe • Major languages: Lithuanian and Russian • Limited religious freedom • 80% Roman Catholic; 5% Russian Orthodox; 1% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Forgive others without exception, and then ask the Lord to forgive you (Matthew 6:12).

Optional Reading: John 20

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Judges 20 – 21
Highlights:

War against Benjamites; their defeat; wives for the remaining Benjamites.

Then all the children of Israel, and all the people, went up, and came unto the house of God, and wept, and sat there before the LORD, and fasted that day until even, and offered burnt offerings and peace offerings before the LORD (Judg. 20:26).

The tribe of Benjamin refused to allow justice to be done to the mob that attacked a defenseless Israelite woman causing her death (Judges 20:13). All the other tribes of Israel united to execute judgment against them. In deep humility, they committed themselves to the Lord.

It was only after they had built an altar and offered the sacrifices for their own needs that the LORD said, Go up; for to morrow I will deliver them into thine hand (20:28). The tribe of Benjamin was almost destroyed before the consequences of this wicked sin had been meted out.

There is a growing indifference to immorality in our society that is similar to what existed in the tribe of Benjamin. We have redefined sin. The purpose is to remove the sense of guilt for violating God's moral Law and to make the sinner feel comfortable, as they did when in those days . . . every man did that which was right in his own eyes (21:25). However, while hating and exposing sin, we must also show mercy and kindness as we pray for and lovingly entreat sinners to come to Christ as their Savior and Lord and allow Him to change their lives. Come unto Me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest (Matt. 11:28). Jesus calls to every individual to call on Him for forgiveness of their sins.

All sin is abominable to our holy God; however, all sin that is truly repented of and forsaken is forgiven through the atoning blood of Jesus Christ. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (I John 1:9). It is the will of God for all to receive this forgiveness. Jesus gave His life as a substitutionary sacrifice for every person that would ever live. He desires to forgive. Like the old hymn says, we simply need to "Trust and Obey" Christ.

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance (II Pet. 3:9).

Thought for Today:

Man was not created to be master of his own will.

Word Studies:

20:5 forced, raped; 20:6 lewdness, immoral, shameful conduct; 20:10 folly, wicked conduct; 20:29 liers, an ambush; 20:34 sore, a fierce disaster; 20:45 gleaned, caught, were cut off; 21:6 repented them, were sorry.

Christ Revealed:

As our Deliverer (Judges 20:26,28). As we pray and seek the Lord's will, He delivers us from all evil forces. Our Lord Jesus Christ, Who gave Himself for our sins, that He might deliver us from this present evil world (Galatians 1:3-4).

on your local, State, and Federal levels • Pray for Staff: Beth Carlton • Country: Luxembourg (429,000) in western Europe • Major languages: Luxembourgish and German • Religious freedom • 84% Roman Catholic; 2% Protestant; .1% Eastern Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to lead you in all that you do (Matthew 6:13).

Optional Reading: John 21

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ruth 1 – 4

Highlights:

Famine in Bethlehem; Elimelech's family moves to Moab; death of Elimelech and their two sons; Naomi and Ruth return; Ruth gleans in Boaz's field; marriage of Boaz and Ruth. (Their son, Obed, was the father of Jesse, King David's father.)

And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God: (Ruth 1:16).

Bethlehem, the land of promise, was experiencing a severe famine. All Israel knew the Lord's warning: If . . . ye will not do all My Commandments. . . . your land shall not yield her increase, neither shall the trees of the land yield their fruits (Leviticus 26:15,20).

Perhaps, while standing in their unproductive fields in the Judean hills, Elimelech, his wife Naomi, and their sons Mahlon and Chilion looked down on fertile Moab, where it was reported that all was prosperous maybe that is why they decided to abandon their God-given inheritance in Bethlehem, and sojourn (temporarily live) in the country of Moab (Ruth 1:1-2).

Unforseen tragedy struck the family in the idol-worshiping country of Moab. Elimelech died, and then his sons ignored their Covenant relationship with God and married Ruth and Orpah, who were Moabite women. Sometime later, Mahlon and Chilion also died (1:3-5). The three childless widows were left without a means of support. Then she (Naomi) arose with her daughters in law. . . . and they went on the way to return unto the land of Judah (1:6-7).

Soon Orpah returned to her earthly securities, back unto her people, and unto her gods (1:15). But Ruth was no longer a Moabite in her heart, for she had forsaken the gods of Moab and confessed her loyalty to the God of Israel by saying to Naomi: Thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God (1:16).

Ruth and Naomi arrived in Bethlehem where Ruth married Boaz. Ruth became the mother of Obed: he is the father of Jesse, the father of David (4:17). The Book of Ruth highlights our Lord's loving-kindness to Gentiles in selecting a Moabite woman to become the great-grandmother of King David. Ruth is one of three Gentile women mentioned in the genealogy of Jesus (Matthew 1:3,5-6). These historical facts illustrate the love of God for all lost mankind.

For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God (Romans 2:28-29).

Thought for Today:

Out of our most bitter experiences God can perfect His will.

Word Studies:

1:20 Mara, bitter; 2:3 her hap was to light, she happened to come; 2:8 fast by, close by; 4:1 the gate, the city's meeting place to transact business; 4:5 thou must buy it also of Ruth, in order to redeem the property, you must take Ruth as your wife.

Christ Revealed:

Through Bethlehem (Ruth 1:1), which means House of Bread. Jesus, the Bread of Life, satisfies the spiritual hunger of all who come to Him. Then Jesus said unto them. . . . I am the Bread of Life: he that cometh to Me shall never hunger (John 6:32-35).

on your local, State, and Federal levels • Pray for Staff: Pam Murton • Country: Macedonia (2 million) in southeastern Europe • Major languages: Macedonian and Albanian • strongly Orthodox country • 60% Macedonian/Albanian/Bulgarian Orthodox; 30% Muslim; 2% Roman Catholic; .2% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to forgive you of all ill will, grudges, or hatred you may hold in your heart toward another person (Matthew 6:14-15).

Optional Reading: Acts 1

Memory Verse for the Week: Revelation 15:3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Samuel 1 – 3
Highlights:

WOW!! We learn three powerful truths. 1. Hannah prays ; 2 God rewards her vow; 3 God requires parents to discipline their children in love.
And she vowed a vow, and said, O LORD of hosts, if thou wilt indeed look on the affliction of thine handmaid, and remember me, and not forget thine handmaid, but wilt give unto thine handmaid a man child, then I will give him unto the LORD all the days of his life, and there shall no razor come upon his head (I Sam. 1:11).

Elkanah and Hannah had been unable to conceive a child. In Biblical times to be childless was considered to be a reproach (Gen. 16:4; Luke 1:24-25). When faced with the situation of Elkanah's other wife and her children, Hannah was filled with a sense of shame and failure (1:2-10). She turned to God

Hannah made a vow that if God would give her a son then she would dedicate him to God. This dedication was far beyond what we think about today as we dedicate a child to the Lord. She made a promise that the child would serve God all the days of his life. She even committed him to the Nazarite vow (Numbers 6).

Hannah was faithful to keep her promise to God. How often today do we make promises to God that we do not fulfill? We often treat these promises like they are some new year's resolution. We might say "well I tried" and think that was enough. God takes promises seriously. He keeps all His promises. There failed not ought of any good thing which the Lord had spoken unto the house of Israel; all came to pass (Josh.22:45).

The Word of God is full of promises made to us. God is always faithful to deliver whatever He has promised. He is incapable of breaking any commitment made in His Word. It will continue on forever and unchanging. But the Word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the Word which by the Gospel is preached unto you (I Pet. 1:25).

We should strive to be as Christ-like as possible. This includes being true to the commitments made to God and each other. It is true that sometimes there are legitimate reasons why we may not be able to fulfill a promise made. In these cases, we need to apologize to the person and explain what happened. This can protect our character and testimony from receiving a reputation as someone who is deceitful and doesn't follow through with what they say. If the promise was to God, we should either reaffirm our commitment to doing our best to make good on the promise or repent of our inability to do as we told God we would. You will find this will lift the weight of these failed promises off of you and will help to heal your relationships. You will find that not only God, but also true believers will forgive.

And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him (Luke 17:4).

For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you (Matt. 6:14).

Thought for Today:

How concerned are you for your children's eternal destiny?
Christ Revealed:

By Samuel who grew in favor with God and men (I Sam. 2:26). Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man (Luke 2:52).
Word Studies:

1:6 sore, without mercy; 1:16 daughter of Belial, sinful woman; 2:1 horn, strength; ; is enlarged, rejoices greatly; 2:8 8 the pillars of the earth are the Lord's, God alone sustains and upholds the earth; 2:10 His King . . . His Anointed, Messiah; this is the first reference to Jesus' coming by the title Messiah; 2:13 in seething, being cooked; 2:15 sodden, boiled; 2:29 Wherefore kick ye, Why do you rebel?; 2:31 cut off thine arm, break your strength; 3:18 every whit, everything.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Jennifer Palafox • Government Officials: justice Samuel Anthony Alito, Jr. • our Military worldwide • Pray for Country: Albania (3.1 million) in southeastern Europe • Major languages: Albanian and Greek • Newly opened to evangelism • 41.5% Christian; 39% Muslim; 18.5% non-Religious/Other; .2% Baha'i; .01% Jewish • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord for ways to share His love with others (Heb. 6:10).
Optional Reading: Acts 2

NOTE: Bible Pathway covers the Old Testament with devotional and commentary insights over a nine-month period, January through September. Each day during these months, an optional reading of one chapter a day from the New Testament will also be listed. The October, November, and December issues will provide a daily commentary on the New Testament readings. Thus, the reader goes through the New Testament twice each year using the Bible Pathway plan.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Samuel 8 – 11
Highlights:

The people demand a king and ignore the true King (I Sam. 8:5); God directed Samuel to anoint Saul (9:27 – 10:1); King Saul is challenged and defeats the Ammonites (11:1-11).
And Samuel said to all the people, See ye him whom the LORD hath chosen, that there is none like him among all the people? And all the people shouted, and said, God save the king (I Sam. 10:24).

Israel had never had a God-appointed earthly king before this time. The nation had been led by God-called Spiritual leaders and judges such as Moses, Joshua, Gideon, Jephthah and many others

The people wanted a king like the heathen nations around them. God informed Samuel that He would choose a king for them. Saul was chosen by God to be king of Israel. Many have said Saul was chosen by the people and not God. However, the Word of God is clear. God's seal of approval was evident as the Spirit of the Lord came upon Saul (I Sam. 11:6).

The Lord gave Saul great victories. Though it was not God's desire for there to be a king, God's choice was put in place. For a period of time, Saul followed the Lord. Like many leaders after him, Saul eventually strayed from following God.

Many have been called by God to do great works. It would be safe to say that pride is one of the greatest enemies to one who is accomplishing much for the kingdom of God. We must allow God to be our teacher and guide to avoid falling into the Devil's trap. . Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil (I Tim. 3:6).

We have all seen many people of God fall from their place by giving in to one sin or another. This has happened at the level of national television evangelists all the way down to people in our local churches. No one is immune to the workings of the devil if we give him place in our lives. Neither give place to the devil (Eph. 4:27).

If God has called you to a work, remember Samuel's words. There is none like you either. God has called you to this specific situation. He has chosen no one else for this exact mission. So, who is called? Every person who follows Jesus is called to a special purpose. In Whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of Him who worketh all things after the counsel of His own will (Eph. 1:11).

Let's not forget our value in this world. God has appraised us and found us to be worth so much. When we turn from God to sin, we downgrade our worth in human eyes. However, God does not stop saying we are valuable to Him. So, don't fall into sin's trap. But if you have, turn back to God. Heaven spent it's greatest treasure to purchase our souls. Jesus was that treasure.

Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it (Matt. 13:46)

Thought for Today:

Beginning a walk with God is essential, but our eternal rewards depend on how well we carry out His will.
Christ Portrayed:

Through Samuel who faithfully served Israel as judge (I Sam. 8:1,3), prophet (8:10-18; 9:6,9,19,27; 10:1-9), and priest (8:10,21; 10:8). Jesus was the Prophet promised through Moses (Deut. 18:15); He is our Great High Priest (Heb. 4:14); and one day He will judge all mankind: For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son (John 5:22).
Word Studies:

8:3 lucre, money gained dishonestly; 8:9 protest solemnly, object seriously; 8:12 ear, plow; 9:2 goodly, handsome; 9:7 spent, used up; 9:16 captain, leader since God was the true King; 9:26 spring of the day, dawn, the first coming of light; 10:1 vial, a container; 11:1 encamped against, put his forces in position to attack.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Tifany Edwards • International Broadcasts: sponsored by James and Ida Droot • Country: Andorra (78,000) in the eastern Pyrenees between France and Spain • Major languages: Catalan and French • Official freedom of religion • 94% Christian; 4% non-Religious; .6% Muslim; .9% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Draw near to God in prayer with a true heart in assurance of faith (Heb. 10:22).
Optional Reading: Acts 4

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Samuel 12 – 14:23
Highlights:

Saul's foolish vow (I Sam. 14:24-30); Meet Eli the priest, Samuel the prophet, Saul the king, David the shepherd boy. His account of "rags to riches."
And Samuel said, Hath the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams (I Sam. 15:22).

Saul had been given specific instructions from God concerning the Amalekites. God had told him to destroy these people for the wrongs they had done to Israel (15:2). Saul was not to leave anyone or anything alive. Saul disobeyed God first of all by taking their king, Agag, alive. Then he had kept the best of the livestock which had been ordered by God to be killed.

God spoke to Samuel of what had transpired and that He repented of making Saul the king of Israel. Samuel grieved greatly and set out to confront Saul. When Samuel challenged Saul for his disobedience, Saul confidentially replied that he had obeyed God. He told Samuel that the people had taken the best of the animals to sacrifice to God.

Saul either did not understand the wrong he had done or knew and was trying to cover up his sin with an excuse. Samuel would not let Saul dodge what he had done. He told Saul that he had disobeyed God. Furthermore, he told him that even if he thought he had a good reason for keeping the animals, obedience was better than sacrifice. He even went so far as to say that disobedience or rebellion is like the sin of witchcraft. This of course is reinforced by Scripture. Any time God's law is broken the violations are equal. For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all (James 2:10).

The Word of God is very clear with its laws and commandments. That being said, we often find it easy to bend and conform it to fit our lifestyle. At times we might find something in the Word that is hard to follow. We might even disagree with what it says. One of the purposes of God's Word is to teach us how to live a Christ-like life. But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed (Jas. 1:25) Disagreeing with the scripture does not excuse us for not following what God directs through His Word. However, many will do just that. It is the action of many to "interpret" the Word of God to fit the way that they want to live. In reality the action should be just the opposite. Our lives should be transformed to manifest the Word of God in our lives.

It is easy to say that we have never served other gods. Many of us may have never followed another faith, but at times we, have given ourselves to the gods of money, carnal desires or simply recreation. How are these gods? Anytime, we give something place in our life above God then we have made it our god. Have you at times neglected prayer, reading God's Word, sharing the love of Christ or even church for other things that were much less important? Unfortunately, that thing became a god or an idol in your life. We know idolatry is listed as a work of the flesh and not of the Spirit: Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies (Gal. 5:20).

We should always strive to be obedient to the Word of God and the leading of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit will never lead you against the Scripture. So, let us endeavour to live a life that allows God to be revealed to the world.

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven (Matt. 5:16).

Thought for Today:

No matter what your status may be it is always possible to fulfill God's expectations.
Christ Revealed:

Through David's name (I Sam. 16:13) which means beloved. David is a type of Jesus, whom the Heavenly Father called My beloved Son (Matt. 3:17; 17:5; Mark 1:11; 9:7; Luke 3:22; 9:35).
Word Studies:

14:24 adjured, threatened under oath; 14:31 smote, struck down; 14:41 perfect lot, right answer;14:47 took the kingdom, took possession; vexed, harassed; 14:52 sore, fierce, severe; 15:29 repent, change His mind; 15:32 delicately, fearfully; 16:18 comely, handsome.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Kevin Jennings • Government Officials: Rep. Peter T. King (NY) and Rep. Reid J. Ribble (WI) Country: Antigua and Barbuda (64,000) in the Leeward Islands of the eastern Caribbean • Major languages: : English and local dialects • Religious freedom • 83% Protestant; 11% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Give thanks for the privilege of assembling with other Christians each week (Heb. 10:25).
Optional Reading: Acts 5

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Samuel 14:24 – 16
Highlights:

Samuel gives serious warnings (I Sam. 12:14-15,24-25); Saul's disobedience; He loses the kingdom (13:8-14); Jonathan leads a bold thrust to victory (14:1-23).
And they cried unto the LORD, and said, We have sinned, because we have forsaken the LORD, and have served Baalim and Ashtaroth: but now deliver us out of the hand of our enemies, and we will serve thee (I Sam. 12:10).

Israel seemed to be in a continuously revolving state of turning away from God to false gods and then back again to God. They were constantly allowing themselves to fall prey to their surroundings. It would seem they adopted the gods of whatever people they came in contact with. God is clear in His Word about allowing ourselves as believers to become tied to the ways of the unbeliever. Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? (II Cor. 6:14).

Israel had worshipped Egypt's gods when they were in captivity. They had made a golden calf to worship while on their journey to the promised land. Now, they had adopted the gods of the heathen nations that inhabited the promised land. They were truly a backslidden people.

At this point in Scripture, Israel comes to the realization of the consequences of their betrayal of the only living God. They understood the fact that they had forsaken their Deliverer and turned to false gods. They were repenting of the wrong they had done.

Likewise, in our day and time we turn to other gods, often without realizing it. Most Christians know the grace, mercy and love that come from a relationship with Jesus, but still often follow in the path of the unbeliever. They unconsciously give their life over to earthly false gods. Howbeit then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods (Gal. 4:8).

It is easy to say that we have never served other gods. Many of us may have never followed another faith, but at times we, have given ourselves to the gods of money, carnal desires or simply recreation. How are these gods? Anytime, we give something place in our life above God then we have made it our god. Have you at times neglected prayer, reading God's Word, sharing the love of Christ or even church for other things that were much less important? Unfortunately, that thing became a god or an idol in your life. We know idolatry is listed as a work of the flesh and not of the Spirit: Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies (Gal. 5:20).

So, let us turn away from these things. We should be on guard daily; watching our lives to ensure God is always the focus of our very existence. He should always be our only recipient of worship.

Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and Him only shalt thou serve (Matt. 4:10).

Thought for Today:

Are you spending your energies with eternity's values in your heart?
Christ Revealed:

By Samuel the intercessor (I Sam. 12:23). Right now Jesus is interceding for believers. . It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us (Rom. 8:34; Heb. 7:25).
Word Studies:

12:4 taken ought, received a bribe; ought, anything; 12:21 vain, worthless; 13:10 salute, welcome, greet; 13:17 spoilers, raiders; 13:20 share . . . coulter . . . mattock, agricultural tools; 13:21 goads, iron points used to prod animals; 14:8 discover ourselves, let ourselves be seen; 14:16 melted away, scattered in all directions; 14:20 discomfiture, confusion.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Chris Robison • International Broadcasts: In Memory of Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Harrison • Country: Angola (11 million) in west-central Africa • Major languages: Portuguese and Bantu dialects • Christianity is gradually being driven underground by communism • 60% Roman Catholic; 20% Protestant; 5% belief in ancestor spirits, witches, and medicine men • Prayer Suggestion: Remember that the Lord is faithful to keep His promises (Heb. 10:23).
Optional Reading: Acts 6

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk