Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Joshua 9 – 10
Highlights:

Deceit of the Gibeonites; their servanthood to Israel; defeat of the Amorites; sun and moon stand still until all the kings are defeated.

And the children of Israel journeyed, and came unto their cities on the third day. Now their cities were Gibeon, and Chephirah, and Beeroth, and Kirjath-jearim (Josh. 9:17).

After Joshua's victories over Jericho and Ai, five kings united to fight the Israelites. However, the Gibeonites, located between the land of the Canaanite kings and the encampment of Israel, decided their chances of survival would be greater by making a league with the Israelites rather than by joining the Canaanite kings in their war with Israel. They deceptively told Joshua: From a very far country thy servants are come because of the Name (Reputation) of the Lord thy God: for we have heard the fame of Him, and all that He did in Egypt. . . . Wherefore our elders and all the inhabitants of our country spake to us, saying, Take victuals (provisions, food) with you for the journey, and go to meet them, and say unto them, We are your servants: therefore now make ye a league (treaty) with us. . . . And the men took of their victuals, and asked not counsel at the mouth of the Lord. And Joshua made peace with them, and made a league with them, to let them live (9:9-11,14-15) – a violation of the Law (see Exodus 23:32-33; 34:12).

The Israelites did not break their oath, even though the Gibeonites had deceived them. However, over 400 years later, King Saul broke this covenant and it resulted in a 3-year famine in Israel (II Samuel 21:1). Through this, the Lord teaches us that the wrong done by another does not give us the right to do a similar wrong. One sin never justifies another. The characteristic of the children of God that distinguishes us from all other people is that we do not seek vengeance. Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good (Romans 12:21). God wants us to learn from the Gibeonites' covenant how important it is to have personal integrity and keep our commitments.

This points out that ignorance of God's Word does not nullify whatever actions that occurred as a result of that ignorance. This league with the Gibeonites should impress upon us the enemy's skill in deception. We should also learn how fallible our human reasoning is. If Joshua had prayed for the Lord's guidance, this deceitful league never would have been agreed to.

The moldy bread and worn clothing seemed to be visible proof of the strangers' words (Joshua 9:12-13). Too often we foolishly make decisions based on what we see or think. Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths (Proverbs 3:5-6).

Thought for Today:

Christians usually suffer more from the Devil's deceptions than from his direct attacks.

Word Studies:

9:4 bottles, containers made of animal skins; 9:5 clouted, patched sandals; 9:6 league, peace treaty; 10:10 discomfited them, caused them to panic, thus creating confusion (compare Psalm 18:14); 10:40 springs, slopes, foothills.

Christ Revealed:

As the One through whom we have victory (Joshua 10:25). Thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ (I Corinthians 15:57).

Pray for Government Officials:

on your local, State, and Federal levels • Pray for Staff: Karen Hawkins • Country: Jordan (5 million) in southwestern Asia • Major languages: Arabic and English • Religious tolerance • 93% Muslim; 5% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Praise God for godly men of old who were faithful to record His Word of Truth (Habakkuk 2:1-2).

Optional Reading: John 7

Memory Verse for the Week: Revelation 1:3   
:angel:

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Joshua 11 – 13
Highlights:

Defeat of many kings within Canaan; much land still to be possessed; inheritance of Reuben, Gad, and Manas-seh; Balaam slain.

And it came to pass, when Jabin king of Hazor had heard those things, that he sent to Jobab king of Madon, and to the king of Shimron, and to the king of Achshaph, And to the kings that were on the north of the mountains and of the plains south of Chinneroth, and in the valley and in the borders of Dor on the west, (Josh. 11:1-2).

Everyone in Jericho knew the reputation of Israel's God, just as did Rahab who confessed: As soon as we had heard these things, our hearts did melt, neither did there remain any more courage in any man, because of you: for the Lord your God, for He is God in heaven above, and in ewarth beneath (2:11). Rahab alone put her faith in the God of the Hebrews and was not only saved but was included in the genealogy of Jesus (Matthew 1:5; Hebrews 11:31; James 2:25). The Canaanite kings had known what the Gibeonites knew, but they still decided to defend their heathen gods against the true God.

News of Joshua's invasion quickly spread throughout Canaan. Jabin, King of Hazor in the north, enlisted the kings and their soldiers from far into the northern mountains (Joshua 11:1-2,8).

Joshua's comparatively small army received a crucial report that they were facing much people, even as the sand that is upon the sea shore in multitude, with horses and chariots very many. And when all these kings were met together. . . . the Lord said unto Joshua, Be not afraid because of them: for to morrow about this time will I deliver them up all slain before Israel. . . . So Joshua came, and all the people of war with him, against them by the waters of Merom suddenly. . . . they smote them, until they left them none remaining (11:4-8).

So Joshua took the whole land, according to all that the Lord said unto Moses. . . . And the land rested from war (11:23). Thirty-one kings (12:24) had been defeated. Joshua established military control over the promised land. However, the individual tribes were still charged with completing the destruction of the Canaanites (Exodus 23:29-30; Deuteronomy 7:22).

The judgment of the Canaanites foreshadows the final judgment of all who continue in their sins. Throughout His word the Lord continues to warn the people that disobedience has a high price.

And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels, In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of His power (II Thessalonians 1:7-9).

Thought for Today:

No matter how strong our temptations may seem, God's grace is sufficient to help us overcome them.

Word Studies:

11:9 houghed, hamstrung, crippled; 11:13 stood still in their strength, were fortified on hills; 12:3 Chinneroth, Sea of Galilee; Salt sea, Dead sea; 12:4 coast, territorial border; 13:22 soothsayer, diviner, fortune-teller.

Christ Portrayed:

By Moses the servant of the LORD (Joshua 12:6). Jesus was the Servant of God. Behold My Servant, whom I have chosen (Matthew 12:18).

on your local, State, and Federal levels • Pray for Country: Kazakhstan (17 million) central Asia • Major languages: Kazakh and Russian • Religious tolerance • 40% Muslim; 25% Russian Orthodox/Armenian Apostolic; 1% Protestant; .6% Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Examine yourself. Has prosperity dulled your willingness to sacrifice (Haggai 1:4)?

Optional Reading: John 8

Memory Verse for the Week: Revelation 14:11 

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Joshua 14 – 16

Highlights:

The promised land divided among the tribes; Caleb asks for and takes Hebron; cities allotted to Judah.

Forty years old was I when Moses the servant of the Lord sent me from Kadesh-barnea to espy (spy) out the land; and I brought him word again as it was in mine heart. Nevertheless my brethren that went up with me made the heart of the people melt: but I wholly (wholeheartedly) followed the Lord my God (Josh. 14:7-8).

The Anakim (giants) had been driven out of Hebron by Joshua, perhaps five years before this time (10:2-11; 11:21-22). Now they were back and in control of the territory – undoubtedly, with a much greater determination to retain the land promised to Caleb.

At Caleb's "retirement" age of 85, he recounted to Joshua how God had faithfully brought him that far. Caleb's unshakable faith can be seen in his report as a spy: I brought him word again as it was in mine heart (14:7). He had spoken his convictions as he faced the opposition of the other spies and the people. He had stood alone with Joshua.

We are sometimes afraid to speak about our faith when our convictions are unpopular; but the person blessed of God speaks what is in his heart on spiritual issues. Those who have their hearts fixed on the Lord and trust in His Word are not afraid to speak out or move forward to accomplish the Lord's will regardless of what others say or do. As an example those who witnessed Paul's circumstance and were waxed confident by my bonds, are much more bold to speak the word without fear (Phil. 1:14).

Caleb's courageous spirit reminds us that they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint (Isaiah 40:31). The truly blessed are faithful to God.

Yes, most of us will face giant "Canaanite" difficulties in life as well as friends who attempt to discourage us. Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us (Rom 8:35).

We can be assured that when opportunities arise to witness for the Lord the Holy Spirit will give you the words to speak. And when they bring you unto the synagogue; and unto magistrates, and powers, take ye no thought how or what thing ye shall answer, or what ye shall say: For the Holy Ghost shall teach you the same hour what ye ought to say (Luke 12:11-12).

Thought for Today:

Since we are greatly influenced by those with whom we associate, we need to choose friends that will lead us closer to the Lord.

Word Studies:

14:9 sware, promised under oath; 15:3 fetched a compass, circled around.

Christ Portrayed:

By Caleb, who followed the LORD (Joshua 14:8,14). Our Savior said: Lo, I come . . . to do Thy will, O God (Hebrews 10:7,9).

Pray for Internet Radio:

Sponsored by Marie Bradbury • Pray for Staff: Mike Moore • Country: Kenya (29 million) in eastern Africa • Major languages: English and Swahili • Religious freedom : • 46% Protestant; 27% Roman Catholic; 17% belief in mystical powers; 6% Muslim; 3% Eastern Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Glory in the Lord. He is Victor over Satan (Zechariah 3:2).

Optional Reading: John 9

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Joshua 17 – 19
Highlights:

Inheritance of Manasseh; Canaanites forced to pay taxes to Israelites; Tabernacle set up at Shiloh; remainder of the land divided.

And the whole congregation of the children of Israel assembled together at Shiloh, and set up the tabernacle of the congregation there. And the land was subdued before them.... And Joshua cast lots for them in Shiloh before the LORD: and there Joshua divided the land unto the children of Israel according to their divisions (Josh. 18:1,10).

After the conquest of Canaan was completed the land was divided, not by majority vote, but by the Lord.
Although they had received some of the best territory in the promised land, the tribes of Manasseh and Ephraim complained that they should have more territory given to them because of their great numbers and what they perceived as their prominent position among the tribes (17:14-18). The Ephraimites were proud of their history as descendants of Joseph, and also of the fact that Joshua, the victorious commander who had led in the conquest of Canaan, was also from their tribe.

When we have our priorities centered upon the Lord, we need not fear losing our share of anything. In fact, we gladly accept less to maintain peace with others. True children of God should not expect others to serve or praise them. Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God (I Cor. 10:31).

In a striking contrast to the tribes of Manasseh and Ephraim, Joshua chose to be the last to lay claim to any territory (Joshua 19:49). As captain, we could expect him to be first and to take the best for himself. Instead, he chose last. His choice was a very small area near Shiloh where the Tabernacle was erected and where he could best worship and serve the Lord. It was there, in the nearness of the Lord's presence, that Joshua built his small city. Joshua illustrates the importance of being humble and fervent in spirit. Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord (Romans 12:11)

The Lord gives grace and blessings to those with a humble Spirit: he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble. Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.... Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up (James 4:6-7,10).

Thought for Today:

Compromise is never a good substitute for obedience.

Christ Revealed:

Through Shiloh. The children of Israel assembled together at Shiloh, and set up the Tabernacle (Joshua 18:1). Shiloh was the dwelling place of God's presence which was prophetic of Jesus. The Word (Jesus) . . . dwelt (tabernacled) among us (John 1:14).

Word Studies:

17:13 tribute, forced labor; 18:1 Shiloh, the location of the Tabernacle in the tribe of Ephraim; 18:6 describe, map out, survey, diagram.

on your local, State, and Federal levels • Pray for Country: Kirabati (86,000) 3 islands in southwestern Pacific • Major languages: English and Gilbutese • Religious freedom • 52% Roman Catholic; 44% Protestant; 2% Baha'i • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to make you willing to go wherever He wants to send you (Isaiah 6:8)

Optional Reading: John 10

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Joshua 20 – 21

Highlights:

Six cities of refuge appointed; forty-eight cities given to the Levites; Israel possesses the land.

And the children of Israel gave unto the Levites out of their inheritance, at the commandment of the LORD, these cities and their suburbs (Josh. 21:3).

Unlike all the other tribes of Israel, Levi was not given separate territory (Joshua 14:3). Unto the tribe of Levi Moses gave not any inheritance: the Lord God of Israel was their inheritance, as He said unto them (13:33). But the Levites have no part among you; for the priesthood of the Lord is their inheritance (18:7).

The Levites were divided into three groups according to the descendants of Levi's three sons, Gershon, Kohath, and Merari. But only those Israelites who were descendants of Levi through Kohath's grandson Aaron could be priests and serve in the Tabernacle. However, even some of these descendants were physically disqualified to be ministers at the altar because of disabilities and defects. Others were spiritually disqualified because they violated one or more of the Commandments (Leviticus 21:1-23). The priests were responsible for preserving, transcribing, teaching, and interpreting the Law. They were also the civil officers responsible for the administration of the Law (Deuteronomy 17:9-12; 31:9,11-12,26). All the Levites, not merely the ones who were responsible for the worship at the Tabernacle, were to receive an equal share of the tithes from the other tribes. Each tribe was to provide for the physical welfare of the priests within its own territory. This was not left up to the goodwill of the people but was a command from God. Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils (Heb. 7:4).

God devoted 42 of the 45 verses in the 21st Chapter of Joshua to emphasizing the Israelites' obligation to support the ministers of His Word. God's principle, set in motion with the Levites, is still applied today. No one is too poor to be exempt from giving his tithe which is proportionately equal for all and is designated to the ministry of His Word.

The Apostle Paul illustrated this saying: For it is written... Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. . . . If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal (material) things?. . . the Lord ordained that they which preach the Gospel should live of the Gospel (I Corinthians 9:9-11,14).

Thought for Today:

Gossip often causes barriers that keep us from being the blessing we want to be.

Christ Portrayed:

By Eleazar, the chief priest (Joshua 21:1; Numbers 3:32). Christ is our High Priest. The . . . High Priest of our profession (confession), Christ Jesus (Hebrews 3:1).

Word Studies:

20:3 avenger of blood, the nearest relative of a slain person who was to avenge his death by destroying the slayer; 21:2 suburbs, pasturelands; 21:32 refuge, protection

Pray for Internet Radio:

Thursday Morning Prayer • Pray for Country: Kuwait (2 million) in the northeastern corner of the Arabian Peninsula • Major languages: Arabic and English • Some religious freedom • 95% Muslim; 4% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Call upon the Lord, for He promises to answer you (Zechariah 13:9).

Optional Reading: John 11

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Joshua 22 – 24
Highlights:

Two and a half tribes sent home; controversy over the Altar of Testimony; Joshua's final reminder of the Lord's goodness to Israel; the altar of witness; Joshua's death.

And Joshua said unto the people. . . . If ye forsake the Lord, and serve strange (foreign) gods, then He will . . . do you hurt (bring disaster), and consume (destroy) you, after that He hath done you good. . . . Now therefore put away . . . the strange gods which are among you, and incline (yield) your heart unto the Lord God of Israel (Josh. 24:19-20,23).

When God told Joshua: Every place that the sole of your foot shall tread upon, that have I given unto you, as I said unto Moses (Joshua 1:3), Joshua did not merely "trust that the Lord" would force the Canaanites to voluntarily give up their land. The fact is, the Israelites received their inheritance by faith in the words of God; but they were to fight for every foot of land that God had promised them. I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus (Phil. 3:14).

After about seven years, the Israelites under the leadership of Joshua had conquered Canaan. And the Lord gave them rest round about, according to all that He sware unto their fathers: and there stood not a man of all their enemies before them; the Lord delivered all their enemies into their hand (21:44).

The Israelites' greatest danger was yet to be faced. The Lord commanded the Israelites, that as His chosen people they should come out from among them, and be ye separate (II Cor. 6:17). Joshua clearly warned that the reason they should be separate was to keep them from being tempted to take on the strange gods of the nations they had conquered and thereby take on the ungodly practices of their neighbors. Our nation is faced with this same temptation daily. With so many different cultures and religions in our society we are prone to water down our own Christian principles as laid out in God's Word, the Bible. "Jesus" (the same as "Joshua" in Hebrew) freed us from sin by His substitutionary death on the cross and His triumphant physical resurrection from the grave. For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that He might be Lord both of the dead and living (Roman 14:9).

We too need to be reminded daily to incline our heart to the Lord by staying faithful to His word and His ways. What a tragedy that so many people assume once a person has accepted Jesus Christ as Savior, he has nothing to do but "just leave everything up to the Lord." The truth is, the Lord has left it up to us. We should strive daily to develop a personal relationship with Jesus, draw closer to God, and become more Christlike in all our ways.

Thought for Today:

Unbelief produces unrest, inward conflict and distress.

Christ Revealed:

Through the peace offering (Joshua 22:27). Our Lord offered Himself to God as our means of peace with the Father. Being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ (Romans 5:1).

Word Studies:

22:10 to see to, for all to see (compare 22:27); 22:29 meat offerings, cereal (grain); 23:1 waxed old, grew old; 23:8 cleave, remain faithful.

on your local, State, and Federal levels • Pray for Staff: Clarence Rathbone • Country: Kyrgyzstan (5 million) eastern central Asia • Major languages: Kirghiz and Russian • Religious freedom: 60% Muslim; 11% Russian Orthodox; .8% Protestant/Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Can you say you are ready for the Lord's coming (Malachi 3:2)?

Optional Reading: John 12

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Judges 1 – 2
Highlights:

Judah chosen to lead the wars against the Canaanites; angel rebukes Israel; death of Joshua; Israel's apostasy; their failure to drive out the Canaanites.

And Judah went with Simeon his brother, and they slew the Canaanites that inhabited Zephath, and utterly destroyed it. And the name of the city was called Hormah (Judge. 1:17).

The Israelites were chosen by the One True God to reveal Him to the heathen nations and to glorify Him by being obedient to His Word. The first few verses of Judges give us a sense of high hope for the total conquest of the land as begun by Joshua. One by one, Canaanite cities fell to the Israelites – then the Philistine cities (1:10-11,13,17-18). And the people served the Lord all the days of Joshua, and all the days of the elders that outlived Joshua, who had seen all the great works of the Lord, that He did for Israel (2:7).

The Israelites who were living at the time of Joshua's death recognized that God was their Captain and King and that He had given them victory over the Canaanites. But a new era in the history of the 12 tribes began soon after the death of Joshua.

The Lord's command to complete the conquest of Canaan was not fulfilled because of the people's compromise with the pagan inhabitants of the land. It is disappointing to read: There arose another generation after them, which knew not the Lord, nor yet the works which He had done for Israel. And the children of Israel did evil in the sight of the Lord, and served Baalim. And they forsook the Lord. . . . And the anger of the Lord was hot against Israel; and He said, Because that this people hath transgressed My Covenant . . . I also will not henceforth drive out any from before them of the nations which Joshua left when he died: That through them I may prove (test) Israel, whether they will keep the way of the Lord (2:10-22).

Each generation of believers has the responsibility to pass on the love of the Lord and His Word to their children. This problem isn't something new or strange. It is a pattern that has continued down through history. The truth is that children don't just automatically follow the Lord. Parents as well as church leaders are responsible for nurturing the next generation. The Bible instructs fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord (Eph. 6:4). Every child of God has been given the task of witnessing as to what the Lord has done for them as individuals, so that others may, too, be forgiven of their sins and come into an eternal relationship with the Lord. The things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also (II Tim. 2:2).

Thought for Today:

Faith increases as we read -then act upon- God's Word, enabling us to claim His promises.

Christ Revealed:

As the Angel of the LORD (Judges 2:1,4). The Angel of the LORD is understood to be the Lord Jesus Himself pre-incarnate, for He speaks as God Himself (I made you . . . I sware . . . I said, I will). Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am (John 8:58).

Word Studies:

1:15 nether, lower; 1:23 descry, spy out, keep a watch; 2:5 Bochim, Weepers.

on your local, State, and Federal levels • Staff: Rita Guerra • Country: Laos (5 million) in Southeast Asia • Major languages: Lao and French • Great suppression of all Christian activities • 58% Buddhist; 33% belief in spirits and ancestor worship; 2% Christian; 1% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Pray that God will move His people to give faithfully to His work (Malachi 3:8-10).

Optional Reading: John 13

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Judges 3 – 5
Highlights:

Othniel judges and delivers Israel; Israel's sin; their enslavement by Moabites; Moabites defeated by Ehud; Deborah and Barak deliver Israel; death of Sisera; the song of Deborah and Barak.

And they were to prove Israel by them, to know whether they would hearken unto the commandments of the LORD, which He commanded their fathers by the hand of Moses (Judg. 3:4).

Although Joshua had executed all the Canaanite kings, the Canaanite people still occupied the promised land. The first major step in the downfall of the Israelites was their disregard for the Commandments of the Lord. The next step was that they became friendly neighbors and dwelt among the Canaanites (3:5). The third step in their decline soon followed: They took their daughters to be their wives, and gave their daughters to their sons, and served their gods (3:6). The fourth step was inevitable because the Israelites' heathen wives who worshiped idols could not teach their children to worship the One True God. Sadly, the final step: The children of Israel did evil in the sight of the Lord . . . and served Baalim and the groves (idol worship) (3:7). The outcome was certain and tragic. Sin always separates the sinner from the protective love of God and the Israelites were soon under the control of an enemy nation. After years of suffering, the children of Israel cried unto the Lord, the Lord raised up a deliverer to the children of Israel, who delivered them (3:9).

We learn from Israel's history that, regardless of how far we have backslidden and sinned, our merciful God in heaven always hears the prayers of those who confess and turn away from their sins and commit their lives to Him. Often we are so taken up with condemning ourselves and others when we fall short of being what God's Word tells us is right, that we forget that God loves us as a father. Like as a father pitieth his children, so the LORD pitieth them that fear him (Psalm 103:13). So don't give up. We need to recognize that God loves to forgive. Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven (Matthew 18:22). But the undesirable fact is, wasted years of opportunity cannot be relived. Therefore, we must strive to use our time to the glory of God. Let's not waste years that could be used to build God's kingdom. Jesus said: I must work the works of Him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work (John 9:4).

So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom (Ps. 90:12). See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time (Eph. 5:15-16; Col 4:5).

Thought for Today:

Afflictions become blessings when they cause us to turn to the Lord.

Christ Portrayed:

By Othniel, a deliverer upon whom the Spirit of the Lord rested (Judges 3:9-11). The Spirit of God was also upon Christ, our Deliverer (Matthew 3:16). There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob (Romans 11:26). Jesus declared: The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He hath anointed Me . . . to preach deliverance to the captives (Luke 4:18).

Word Studies:

3:7 served Baalim and the groves, worshiped idols; 3:22 haft, handle; 3:29 lusty, strong fighters; 3:30 fourscore, 80; 4:21 nail of the tent, a large tent peg for holding down the tent.

on your local, State, and Federal levels • Pray for Staff: Rita Guerra • Country: Latvia (3 million) eastern coast of Baltic Sea in northeastern Europe • Major languages: Latvian and Russian • Religious freedom • 20% Protestant; 20% Roman Catholic; 15% Russian Orthodox; 1% Jewish • Prayer Suggestion: Confess wrongs you have committed to the Lord and to those whom you have hurt; ask for forgiveness (Matthew 5:23-24).

Optional Reading: John 14

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Judges 6 – 7
Highlights:

Midianites oppress Israel for seven years; call of Gideon to deliver Israel from the Midianites; Gideon's signs; his army reduced to 300; Gideon's victory.

And the children of Israel did evil in the sight of the LORD: and the LORD delivered them into the hand of Midian seven years.... And Israel was greatly impoverished because of the Midianites; and the children of Israel cried unto the LORD (Judg. 6:1,6).

Once more the Israelites were enslaved, this time by the Midianites. The answer to their prayers began with an admonishment: The Lord sent a prophet . . . which said unto them, Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, I brought you up from Egypt . . . out of the hand of all that oppressed you . . . and gave you their land . . . but ye have not obeyed My voice (6:8-10). There was no word of comfort, only reproof. The people were left with the consciousness of their sins and with no hope of relief. They needed to recognize that their suffering was the direct result of their disregarding the Word of God. We must give the proper respect towards following the Word of God to the letter. God does not make suggestions. He draws the map to Him in His Word and detours will not get us there. But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness (I Tim. 6:11).

It would appear that this unnamed prophet may have had only one convert – Gideon: And the Angel of the Lord appeared unto him, and said . . . The Lord is with thee, thou mighty man of valour. . . . Go in this thy might, and thou shalt save Israel from the hand of the Midianites (6:12,14).

Gideon was deeply conscious of his poverty and in his own limited ability, and confessed: Oh my Lord, wherewith shall I save Israel? behold, my family is poor in Manasseh, and I am the least in my father's house (6:15). We tend to think that the only people God can use are well known, popular, or influential in their communities. But God knows our heart, and whether or not we will accept and follow His will. Gideon was truly a man of inexperience and uncertainty, but he unconditionally obeyed the Lord without fear of the opposition. Gideon was ready to worship the God of Israel and built an altar there unto the Lord, and called it Jehovah (Yahweh)-Shalom (the Lord is peace) (6:24). Just as Gideon did we too must take our eyes and mind off circumstances and fix our faith on the Word of God.

Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him? (James 2:5).

Thought for Today:

No difficulty is so great that God cannot lead us through it.

Christ Revealed:

As The Sword of the LORD (Judges 7:20). In the Apostle John's revelation of Jesus, out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged sword (Revelation 1:16). We know that the sword is the Word of God (Ephesians 6:17) and that Jesus is the Word of God made (became) flesh (John 1:14)

Word Studies:

6:36 by my hand, through me; 7:4 try, test; 7:22 host, a army.

on your local, State, and Federal levels • Pray for Country: Lebanon (4 million) in the Middle East • Major languages: Arabic and French • Limited religious freedom • 67% Muslim; 19% Roman Catholic; 10% Eastern Orthodox; 1% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Pray for those who have hurt you (Matthew 5:44).

Optional Reading: John 15

Memory Verse for the Week: Revelation 5:2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Judges 8 – 9
Highlights:

Ephraim's complaint against Gideon; kings of Midian slain; Gideon's children; his death; Abimelech made king: death of Abimelech.

And Gideon said unto them, I will not rule over you, neither shall my son rule over you: the LORD shall rule over you (Judges. 8:23).

Gideon was called of God to deliver the Israelites from the Midianites. Thirty-two thousand men responded to Gideon's call to war; but God chose to use just 300 men to defeat the Midianites. The other Israelites were sent home; and, with only 300 men, God defeated 135,000 Midianite soldiers in battle. And the country was in quietness forty years in the days of Gideon (Judges 8:28). This illustrates a wonderful principle. God would not act without man's cooperation, and man could not overcome without the wisdom and power of God. However, After this great victory the Israelites urged Gideon to be their king. It was an appeal to his pride. But Gideon knew that it was not he who had saved his people, but God who was the true King. Which in His times He shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords (I Tim. 6:15).

Gideon knew, that as a judge of Israel, he would need God to guide him. However, the Israelites soon forgot that God was the One who had miraculously delivered them from the Midianites. Let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually... giving thanks to His name. But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased (Heb. 13:16).

After Gideon's death, with an appetite for power, his cruel and crafty son Abimelech negotiated a large sum of money from the Baal temple treasury to pay men to murder his 70 brothers. Jotham, the youngest son of Jerubbaal, was left: for he hid himself (9:5). Following the execution of his competition, all the men of Shechem . . . made Abimelech king (9:6). However, at the moment of Abimelech's proudest achievements, Jotham, the son of Gideon who had escaped execution, issued a warning. They would soon discover that this self-made king would bring suffering and death upon them, as well as upon himself (9:7-21).

Abimelech is an example of a person controlled by the deceptive and destructive forces of pride and ambition. He was determined to gain selfish ends regardless of whom he hurt. He is a reminder to us to follow God always and not to go down the self-righteous path.

Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting (Galatians 6:7-8).

Thought for Today:

Humility is the surest way to end strife. (See Prov. 15:33)

Christ Portrayed:

By Gideon, who delivered the Israelites from Midian (Judges 8:22-23). The Lord Jesus has delivered us out of the hands of our spiritual enemies, and it is fitting that He should rule over us. Our Lord Jesus Christ, Who gave Himself for our sins, that He might deliver us from this present evil world (Galatians 1:3-4) (See also II Peter 2:9; Romans 11:26).

Word Studies:

8:1 chide, quarrel; 8:3 abated, ended, subsided; 8:27 ephod, a sacred priestly garment; went . . . a whoring, they made an idol out of the ephod and worshiped it; 8:31 concubine, a servant wife; 9:14 bramble, thornbush.

on your local, State, and Federal levels • Pray for Country: Lesotho (2 million) within the east-central part of the Republic of South Africa • Major languages: Sesotho and English • Limited religious freedom • 43% Roman Catholic; 30% Protestant; 6% ancestor worship, divination, and spirit-possession cults 

Prayer Suggestion:

Pray in secret before God, not seeking human praise (Matthew 6:6).

Optional Reading: John 16

Memory Verse for the Week: Revelation 5:2

:angel: :angel:

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk