Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Deuteronomy 3 – 4

Highlights:

Og, King of Bashan; division of the land; Moses' prayer to enter Canaan; his view of the promised land; his plea for national obedience; warning against idolatry; cities of refuge chosen.

Now therefore hearken, O Israel, unto the statutes and unto the judgments, which I teach you, for to do them, that ye may live, and go in and possess the land which the LORD God of your fathers giveth you (Deut. 4:1).

Moses reminded the new generation of Israelites that living according to God's Word would bring lasting fulfillment. He began to explain the Law that God had given their parents 40 years earlier at Mount Sinai (Deuteronomy 1:3-5). To declare this Law meant more than merely "repeating" the Law; it meant explaining its meaning. Moses' first message highlighted the importance of keeping all the Word of God: That ye may live, and go in and possess (inherit) the land. . . . keep (obey) the Commandments of the LORD your God. . . . and do them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding .... For what nation is there so great, who hath God so nigh (near) unto them? (4:1-7).

That ye may live (4:1) meant that the Israelites would enjoy the best in life. The one essential requirement for remaining in the land of promise was obedience to God's Word. Moses warned them: When thou shalt . . . do evil in the sight of the LORD thy God . . . ye shall soon utterly perish (4:25-26). God desires that you seek Him with all thy heart and with all thy soul (4:29) which is for thy good (10:13). Obedience to the One True God would have enabled Israel to be successful, as well as morally and spiritually unique among all other nations.

Christians today also need a daily reminder to take heed to (be careful for) thyself, and keep thy soul (watch yourselves) diligently, lest thou forget the things which thine eyes have seen, and lest they depart from thy heart . . . teach them thy sons, and thy sons' sons (4:9).

God has promised: Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it (Proverbs 22:6). Children begin developing respect for God by first being taught to behave in a respectful way toward their parents. Unfortunately, unless children learn respect for their parents, they seldom learn to respect and obey God.

The Bible provides our only true source for knowing the will and character of our Creator. We must turn to the Word of God for guidance every day.

Keep therefore His Statutes, and His Commandments, which I command thee this day, that it may go well with thee, and with thy children after thee (Deuteronomy 4:40).

Thought for Today:

Good deeds can be done for recognition, or guilt, or duty but He says "by love serve one another".

Word Studies:

3:18 meet for the war, qualified to fight; 3:28 charge, appoint, give responsibility to; 4:12 no similitude, no figure, shape or form; 4:34 assayed, endeavored, attempted; 4:37 seed, descendants.

Christ Portrayed:

By Joshua, who led the Israelites into their inheritance (Deuteronomy 3:28). Through Jesus we receive His promised inheritance among them which are sanctified (set apart) by faith that is in Me (Acts 26:18).

Pray for Government Officials: on your local, State, and Federal levels • Pray for Staff: Tifany Edwards • Country: Haiti (7 million) in the West Indies • Major languages: French and Creole • Religious freedom • 75% Roman Catholic; 17% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Pour out your heart in prayer to the Lord for your children (Lamentations 2:19).

Optional Reading: Luke 17

Memory Verse for the Week: Hebrews 4:16

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Deuteronomy 5 – 7
MEMORY VERSE FOR THE WEEK:

Hebrew 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Highlights:

The Ten Commandments; warnings against disobedience; teaching the children the Law of God; blessings of obedience.

Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: (Deuteronomy 6:4).

The Hebrew word translated "our God" is Elohenu, meaning "our Gods". The Hebrew word 'echad expresses "one" in the collective sense and signifies a compound unity. Thus, "one Lord" is a glorious revelation of the One True God as being one yet expressed in three distinct persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Consider these revelations: Let Us make man in Our image (Genesis 1:26); as one of Us (3:22); let Us go (11:7); and who will go for Us? (Isaiah 6:8). The same Hebrew word, 'echad, is used in Genesis 2:24 where man and woman become one flesh; even with numerous children, they are still called "one" family.

The Hebrew word for "one" in the sense of absolute oneness is the word yacheed, meaning an "absolute one." Moses had the word yacheed available to him, but, obviously, Moses was led by God to accurately refer to Him by the word 'echad, meaning a compound unity. Those who reject Jesus as fully God, as well as fully Man, are rejecting the true revelation of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus (Galatians 3:26). Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will. . . . In whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins (Ephesians 1:5,7). And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ (3:9). And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father (Philippians 2:11). For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ (I Thessalonians 5:9).

It is important to recognize that those who reject Jesus as the Son of God and only Savior are actually worshipers of a false god. The witness of Scripture is clear: For there is one God, and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus (I Timothy 2:5).

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The Same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by Him; and without Him was not any thing made that was made. . . . And the Word was made (became) flesh, and dwelt among us (John 1:1-3,14).

Thought for Today:

As we desire to obey God's Word, it becomes more precious every day.

Word Studies:

5:17 kill, murder; 6:22 sore, ominous, horrifying; 7:2 smite them, defeat them; 7:13 fruit of thy womb, children; kine, cattle; 7:25 graven images, carved idols.

Christ Revealed:

Through the land flowing with milk and honey (Deuteronomy 6:3). This pictures Christ who provides for our needs. Seek ye first the Kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you (Matthew 6:33).

Pray for Government Officials: on your local, State, and Federal levels • Pray for Staff: Chris Robison • Country: Honduras (6 million) in Central America • Major languages: Spanish and Indian dialects • Religious freedom • 86% Roman Catholic; 10% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Praise the Lord for His faithfulness and mercy (Lamentations 3:22-23).

Optional Reading: Luke 18

Memory Verse for the Week: Philippians 2:13

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Deuteronomy 8 – 10
Highlights:

A good land to be possessed; warning against forgetting the Lord; judgment upon the Canaanites; Israel's rebellion and Moses' intercessory prayer; second tables of stone; the Lord's requirements of Israel.

And He humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that He might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live (Deut. 8:3).

Jesus began His earthly ministry by quoting from Deuteronomy: Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God (Matthew 4:4; compare Deuteronomy 8:3). This was His response to Satan, who tempted Jesus to make bread for Himself from stones after His 40-day fast in the desert by saying: If Thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread (Matthew 4:3), meaning: "Prove that you are the Son of God by turning these stones into bread to satisfy your hunger."

False prophets will quote Scripture (out of context) to support their agendas. Satan quoted Scripture, but only the portion that would apply to his temptation. Jesus again quoted Deuteronomy after the second temptation, saying: It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God (4:7; Deuteronomy 6:16). By "quoting" Scripture, Satan attempted to lure Jesus into using His Deity to satisfy His physical need, and consequently disqualify Himself to redeem sinners. But Jesus turned again to Scripture and replied: It is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and Him only shalt thou serve (Matthew 4:10; Deuteronomy 6:13).

Throughout His ministry, Jesus set an example for us by answering His critics with the Scripture's of God. Christ gave us this reminder: He that hath My Commandments, and keepeth (obeys) them, he it is that loveth Me. . . . If a man love Me, he will keep My words (John 14:21-23).

A vital key to overcoming Satan is knowing God's Word. Through such knowledge we are empowered. For the Word of God is quick (living), and powerful (Hebrews 4:12). It is the means Jesus used to defeat Satan, and it can be just as powerful for us today. As we continue reading all of God's Word, we ask the Holy Spirit to guide us and help us bring it to our minds when it is needed.

We need to remember Moses' warning to Israel: Beware that thou forget not the Lord thy God, in not keeping His Commandments. . . . And thou say in thine heart (to yourself), My power and the might of mine hand hath gotten me this wealth. But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it is He that giveth thee power to get wealth (Deuteronomy 8:11,17-18).

What doth the Lord thy God require of thee, but to fear the Lord thy God, to walk in all His ways, and to love Him, and to serve the Lord thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul, To keep the Commandments of the Lord . . . for thy good (benefit)? (Deuteronomy 10:12-13).

Thought for Today:
Knowing God's Word reveals that fulfillment can come only by our loving obedience to Him.
Word Studies:

10:16 Circumcise therefore the foreskin of your heart, the physical symbol of Israel's separation, circumcision, was to be a symbol of their love, submission, and loyalty to God; stiffnecked, stubborn and hardened.

Christ Revealed:

Through the shittim (acacia) wood used to make the Ark of the Covenant (Deuteronomy 10:3). Acacia wood, a desert growth, is symbolic of Christ in His human form.

Pray for Internet Radio: in Memory of Lester and Mary Loutzenkiser • Pray for Country: Hong Kong (7 million) in eastern Asia • Major languages: Chinese and English • Limited religious freedom • 90% Chinese religions; 10% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Lift up your heart to God in prayer (Lamentations 3:41).

Optional Reading: Luke 19

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Deuteronomy 11 – 13
Highlights:

Diligent study of the Word of God required; blessings for obedience and the curse for disobedience; God to choose the place of worship; idolatrous cities to be destroyed.
And ye shall teach them your children, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up (Deut. 11:19).

To perpetuate loyalty and love to God in future generations, every Israelite was to live in subjection to the Word of God. Our foremost concern every day should be to teach our children to love the Lord and to be obedient to Him. They should have no doubt that we also truly love the Lord and are obedient to Him. If our hearts are filled with the Word of God, it will overflow into our actions and conversations. For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified (Rom. 2:13).

Moses repeated to the new generation what the Lord had said to their parents and reminded them of how important it is to Moses repeated to the new generation what the Lord had said to their parents and reminded them of how important it is to (hold fast) unto Him (Deut. 11:22).

Another fundamental principle that is essential for pleasing God is to rejoice in all that ye put your hand unto, ye and your households, wherein the Lord thy God hath blessed thee (12:7).

What our children will become is often influenced by what they learn about our values in life. That is why parents need to devote time to molding the rapidly developing minds of their young children. It is of utmost importance that parents guide even the youngest children to have reverence for God, to worship Him, to pray, and to recognize the Bible as the voice of God speaking directly to them. And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also (II Tim. 2:2).

Influences outside the home often send strong messages to our children that are opposite in character to the values we desire them to live by. It becomes increasingly important in this time of moral chaos to provide our children with a strong spiritual home environment.

Children need to fear (have a reverential attitude of deep concern) be obedient to God and to know that His command is to honour their father and mother.

Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise) That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth (Eph. 6:2-3).

Thought for Today:

Spending time with the Lord each day reading His Word is one of our greatest blessings.
Word Studies:

11:14 first . . . latter rain, autumn/winter (October through January) . . . later spring (March/April) rain; 11:21 fathers, ancestors beginning with Abraham; 11:24 uttermost sea, Mediterranean Sea; 11:30 champaign over against Gilgal, Arabah, the flat, open country opposite Gilgal; 12:15 gates, towns.
Christ Revealed:

Through the Gburnt offerings which were totally consumed. These typified Christ's total offering of Himself to death (Deuteronomy 12:6; see Hebrews 10:5-7). For the bodies of those beasts, whose blood is brought into the Sanctuary (Holy Place) by the high priest for sin, are burned without the camp. Wherefore Jesus also, that He might sanctify (make holy) the people with His own blood, suffered without the gate (Hebrews 13:11-12).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: on your local, State, and Federal levels• Pray for country: Hungary (11 million) in east-central Europe• Major language: Hungarian• New freedom has opened the door to evangelism and Bible distribution• 61% Roman Catholic; 24% Protestant• Prayer Suggestion: Pray for godly discernment to know His will (Ezekiel 44:23).
Optional Reading: Luke 20

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read  Deuteronomy 28

Highlights:

Blessings of obedience; consequences of disobedience.
The Lord shall establish thee an holy people unto himself . . . if thou shalt keep the Commandments of the Lord thy God, and walk in His ways . . . if thou wilt not . . . all these curse shall come upon thee . . . until thou be destroyed (Deut. 28:9,15, 20).

The pathway of blessings is inseparably linked with loving obedience to the Word of God. When Israel obeyed God, they defeated their enemies and possessed their inheritance. On the other hand, the inevitable consequence of sin would reduce them to final ruin. Moses solemnly warned them: Because thou servedst not the Lord thy God with joyfulness, and with gladness of heart, for the abundance of all things; Therefore shalt thou serve thine enemies which the Lord shall send against thee, in hunger, and in thirst, and in nakedness, and in want of all things: and He shall put a yoke of iron upon thy neck, until He have destroyed thee (28:47-48).

God wanted Israel to recognize that submission to God was essential if they were to enjoy life. This is an inflexible spiritual principle.

Many Christians are like the Old Testament nation of Israel — they have never realized the relationship that obedience to God has to enjoying life.

A seed will sprout in low-quality soil, but it will not grow into a healthy and useful plant unless the soil in which it grows has the necessary nutrients. The same thing is true spiritually. We can "sprout" (that is, be saved with very little scriptural knowledge), but just as plants need good soil to produce, we need spiritual nourishment. The person who lives a victorious Christian life sets aside time every day for reading the Bible, praying, and fellowship with God to receive this nourishment.

God draws us to Himself through reading the Bible. As we faithfully read all of His Word, He will lead us in the pathway of peace and fellowship with Himself.

When we spend time alone with God and allow Him to communicate His love to us, it soon becomes apparent that this is the most blessed and most profitable time of the entire day.

He that hath My Commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth Me: and he that loveth Me shall be loved of My Father, and I will love him, and will manifest Myself to him (John 14:21).

Thought for Today:

One's love for the Lord is in direct relationship to his love for the Word of God.
Christ Portrayed:

As the One from whom our blessings come (Deut. 28:1-2). Blessed be . . . God . . . who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings . . . in Christ (Eph. 1:3).
Word Studies:

28:4 fruit of thy body, children; fruit of thy ground, produce; 28:7 smitten, struck, defeated; 28:13 observe, guard with your life and obey, the same Hebrew word translated keep in many places; 28:20 vexation, confusion, frustration, trouble; 28:21 pestilence, disease; consumed, destroyed; 28:23 iron, unproductive; 28:26 fray, scare; 28:28 madness, insanity; astonishment of heart, bewilderment; 28:29 spoiled, robbed, exploited; 28:32 fail with longing, yearn, suffer emotionally; 28:33 eat up, take away; 28:40 coasts, territory, borders; 28:41 go into captivity, be taken as slaves; 28:43 within thee, living among you; 28:44 head, chief, leader; 28:46 seed, descendants; 28:48 a yoke of iron, oppression; 28:50 regard, respect; 28:52 fenced, fortified; 28:53 straitness, hardship; 28:56 tender, young, timid; delicate, weak; evil, hostile; 28:58 fear, have reverential heartfelt submission to and respect for; fearful, awe-inspiring; 28:59 plagues, diseases, disasters; wonderful, extraordinarily great; 28:68 bondmen, male slaves.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Country: Togo (5 million) in western Africa • Major languages: French and several African languages • Limited religious freedom • 41% belief in false gods and voodoo; 32% Roman Catholic; 19% Muslim; 8% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Rejoice that the Lord protects you and provides your needs (Phil. 4:4).
Optional Reading: John 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read  Deuteronomy 29 – 31

Highlights:

Moses' final appeal for obedience; warnings against disobedience; Joshua commissioned as Moses' successor; the Law to be placed in the Ark.
And the Lord said unto Moses . . . call Joshua, and present yourselves in the Tabernacle of the congregation, that I may give him a charge (Deut. 31:14).

It is not difficult to see why Joshua was chosen to succeed Moses. Forty years earlier, he was one of the two spies who opposed the majority opinion and emphatically said: If the Lord delight in us, then He will bring us into this land, and give it us (Num. 14:8). But the majority of the people were ready to stone him (14:10). For forty years Joshua had been Moses' faithful servant (Ex. 24:13; 32:17).

In the midst of unbelief and bitter complaints, his remarkable faithfulness was not marred by any incident of unbelief, criticism of Moses, or faultfinding with those around him. Joshua wholly followed the Lord (Num. 32:12).

Furthermore, he departed not out of the Tabernacle (Ex. 33:11) at the time of the golden calf incident, when the nation had yielded to idolatry, but remained in the presence of God.

It is no surprise that the Lord told Moses: Take thee Joshua the son of Nun, a man in whom is the Spirit, and lay thine hand upon him (Num. 27:18).

Many Christians — in order to gain personal advantage — have compromised their convictions and proved to be disloyal. But loyalty is a distinguishing characteristic of people who are faithful to God. Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life (Rev. 2:10).

In the midst of difficulties, many give up rather than stand up for the Lord. But the men and women who achieve anything for God are not moved by the opinions or actions of the majority. Their faith is not dependent upon favorable circumstances, but it is grounded in the eternal God.

Only those who are willing to be lowly, humble servants will have the privilege of saying with our Master, For even the Son of Man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give His life a ransom for many (Mark 10:45). Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord (I Cor. 15:58).

Thought for Today:

Are you as willing as Joshua to wholly follow the Lord?
Christ Revealed:

As life (Deut. 30:15). Jesus is The Resurrection, and The Life (John 11:25).
Word Studies:

29:17 abominations, detestable things; 30:3 turn thy captivity, restore you from captivity; 30:4 unto the outmost parts of (under) heaven, to the ends of earth; 30:9 plenteous, prosperous; 30:18 denounce, announce; 30:19 record, witness; 31:10 solemnity, appointed time; 31:12 stranger, foreigner; 31:14 charge, commission; 31:16 go a whoring after the gods of the strangers, be unfaithful to the One True God; 31:17 devoured, consumed, destroyed; 31:21 sware, promised.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Gov. Matthew Hansen Mead (WY), Rep. Jesse L. Jackson, Jr. (IL), and Assoc. Justice Antonin Scalia • Country: Tonga (109,000) in the southwestern Pacific • Major languages: Tongan and English • Religious freedom • 55% Protestant; 22% Mormon; 14% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Do not worry about anything, but pray about everything (Phil. 4:6).
Optional Reading: John 2

Memory Verse for the Week: Philippians 2:14

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Deuteronomy 32 – 34

Highlights:

The song of Moses; Moses permitted to see the promised land; Moses blesses the twelve tribes; death of Moses; Joshua succeeds Moses.
So Moses the servant of the Lord died there in the Land of Moab, according to the Word of the Lord (Deut. 34:5).

Moses was anxious to lead the children of Israel into the promised land. Although he was 120 years old, he was still physically strong. His eye was not dim, nor his natural force abated (34:7).

Our hearts are filled with compassion as we read of this meek hero of faith climbing Mt. Nebo to die — just outside the promised land. For forty years Moses had looked forward to entering Canaan. He had prayed for this privilege. But God did not allow Moses to lead the Israelites into the promised land — the task he began 40 years earlier. The task he began was left for Joshua to complete.

Some may think God punished Moses too severely by not allowing him to enter the promised land. But even though his sin was very serious, God was only denying Moses this one earthly desire. The mercy of God always exceeds His punishment — it always goes beyond man's ability to see His great plan. In the way of righteousness is life; and in the pathway thereof there is no death (Prov. 12:28).

Moses' prayer was not answered when and how he expected. But think how much more gloriously and remarkably God answered his prayer! God only postponed his prayer until he could stand triumphantly with Jesus and the apostles in the promised land on the Mount of Transfiguration (Matt. 17:1-8).

We are all on a pilgrimage in life in preparation for that promised land of many mansions (John 14:2). Our desire in life should be to magnify Christ.

When we come face to face with death, we will see the priceless value of life as we have never before seen it. Will it be a moment of regret for wasted years, having lived in vain, or will it be one of satisfaction for having faithfully served the Lord?

For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain (Phil. 1:21). I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness (II Tim. 4:7-8).

Thought for Today:

Many have passed prematurely into eternity with unfinished goals; but their life's work, if it was God, will continue to bless others.
Christ Revealed:

As our Rock (Deut. 32:31). Christ was that spiritual Rock (Petra) that followed (accompanied) them (I Cor. 10:4).
Word Studies:

32:3 publish, proclaim; 32:19 abhorred, despised; 32:20 froward, disloyal, perverse, corrupt; 32:41 whet, sharpen; 32:44 Hoshea, Joshua; 33:9 Covenant, binding agreement with all qualifications given by God; 33:28 corn, grain; 33:29 tread upon their high places, trample down their heathen altars; 34:2 utmost sea, Mediterranean; 34:6 sepulchre, grave; 34:7 abated, lessened; 34:12 great terror, marvelous deeds.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Radio Broadcasts sponsored by Mr. & Mrs. Casmir A. Zuranski • Staff: Mary Kay Wagner • Government Official: Sen. Kent Conrad (ND • Country: Trinidad and Tobago (1 million) two islands seven miles off the coast of Venezuela • Major languages: English and Hindi • Religious freedom • 34% Protestant; 29% Roman Catholic; 25% Hindu; 7% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to give you contentment in your circumstances, whether in plenty or in want (Phil. 4:11-12).
Optional Reading: John 3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Joshua 1 – 3

Highlights:

Joshua given position of leadership; spies sent to Jericho; pledge between spies and Rahab; direction for crossing Jordan; the Israelites pass over Jordan.
This Book of the Law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success (Josh. 1: 8).

The Holy Word of God is the only thing to which God has linked true success, and Joshua clearly explains how we can achieve that success.

The key to Joshua's great faith was his love for the Word of God. True faith is not an act of human reasoning, but is based upon what God has spoken through His Word.

Forty years earlier Joshua and Caleb were the only two out of the twelve spies who believed they could conquer the Canaanites and take possession of the promised land. The report by the others showed they doubted the Word of God that He would give them victory.

Therefore, the crossing of the Jordan River, led by Joshua, was a major step of faith in the ability of God to fulfill His Word. The earlier generation refused to place their faith in the promise of God.

Joshua's battles were outward, but our battles are primarily inward emotional conflicts. We wrestle not against flesh and blood (that is, our conflicts are not actually with people), but against principalities, against powers (Eph. 6:12). Our battle is not with men, even though Satan may use people at times to resist our efforts to please the Lord.

Just as Joshua was enlightened to know the will of God by meditating upon the His Word day and night, so our faith is also strengthened as we daily read and meditate upon His Word. Our victory is assured by the Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God (6:17).

The more we read His Word, the more we realize the presence of God. The unfailing mark of true discipleship is reverence for the Word of God and humble submission to all its teaching.

It is of utmost importance that every Christian spend time with the Lord in reading His Word — to meditate therein day and night (Josh. 1:8).

The vital principle of victorious faith is also revealed in the New Testament: But whoso looketh into the perfect Law of Liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed (James 1: 25).

Thought for Today:

The unfailing mark of true success lies in meditating on the Word of God and humbly submitting to all its teachings.
Christ Revealed:

Through the scarlet line in the window that saved Rahab and her household — symbolic of the blood of Christ (Josh. 2:21; Heb. 11:31; James 2:25). The blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from all sin (I John 1:7).
Word Studies:

1:1 minister, assistant; 1:4 coast, territory, boundary; 1:15 rest, peace; sunrising, east; 1:17 hearkened unto, obeyed; 2:17 blameless, free, released; swear, promise under oath; 2:19 on our head, our responsibility; 2:20 quit, free; 3:16 Salt Sea, Dead Sea; against, opposite
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Pam Murton • Government Official: Sen. John Henry Hoeven III (ND) • Country: Tunisia (10 million) in North Africa • Major languages: Arabic and French • Islamic state — no open ministry for Christ is permitted; strict surveillance of all Christian activities • 99+% Muslim; .3% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Pray and give thanks to the Lord for your brothers and sisters in Christ (Col. 1:2-3).
Optional Reading: John 4

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Joshua 1 – 3
Highlights:

Joshua given position of leadership; spies sent to Jericho; pledge between spies and Rahab; direction for crossing Jordan; the Israelites pass over Jordan.

For we have heard how the LORD dried up the water of the Red sea for you, when ye came out of Egypt; and what ye did unto the two kings of the Amorites, that were on the other side Jordan, Sihon and Og, whom ye utterly destroyed (Josh. 2:10).

Joshua was born into Egyptian slavery. While the majority were complaining and finding fault with Moses during their desert trials, Joshua remained a faithful coworker with Moses.

Israel's first encounter with the Canaanites in the promised land was at the powerful walled city of Jericho. The people of Jericho had heard of the great works of the Lord concerning Israel. Rahab said unto the men, I know that the Lord hath given you the land. . . . for the Lord your God, He is God in heaven above, and in earth beneath (2:9,11). She then turned from her false gods, left her life as a prostitute, and trusted in the mercy of the One True God. It was no accident that the spies came to her home to bring God's protection upon her and her family.

Because of her faith in the Lord, Rahab became an ancestor of King David and was included in the genealogy of Jesus Christ (Matthew 1:5; Luke 3:32). She is listed among those in the "Faith Hall of Fame" (Hebrews 11:31).

Moses had given up life in the palace and possibly his right to be a Pharaoh of Egypt, Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season (short time); Esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt: for he had respect unto the recompence of the reward (11:25-26). Joshua remained faithful to God even when the majority threatened to kill him (Numbers 14:6-10). Moses, Joshua and Rahab forsook their sins, lived to please the Lord, and made themselves available for God to accomplish His will through them.

All of us have faced, or will face, choices similar to those of Moses, Joshua and Rahab. Let us be looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled; Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright (Hebrews 12:15-16).

Thought for Today:

God speaks through His Word, but we must have "ears to hear' - a willingness to obey.

Word Studies:

1:4 the wilderness, the Sinai desert; Great Sea, Mediterranean Sea; coast, territorial boundary; 1:11 victuals, food; 2:20 quit, no longer bound.

Christ Revealed:

Through the scarlet line in the window that saved Rahab and her household – symbolic of the blood of Christ (Joshua 2:21; Hebrews 11:31; James 2:25). The blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from all sin (I John 1:7).

Pray for Government Officials:

on your local, State, and Federal levels • Pray for Bible Pathway Printer: Ambrose Printing Staff, Nashville TN • Country: Italy (58 million) in southern Europe • Major languages: Italian and German • Religious freedom • 81% Roman Catholic; .4% Protestant; .1% Eastern Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Seek the Lord when in despair; He is your deliverer (Jonah 2:5-6).

Optional Reading: John 4

Memory Verse for the Week: Revelation 1:3 

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Joshua 7 – 8
Highlights:

Sin of Achan; Israelites flee at Ai; Law recorded at Mount Ebal.

And the men of Ai smote of them about thirty and six men: for they chased them from before the gate even unto Shebarim, and smote them in the going down: wherefore the hearts of the people melted, and became as water (Josh. 7:5).

The Lord held back the waters of the Jordan River at the time of year when the Jordan River overflowed its banks and all the Israelites passed over on dry ground into Canaan (Joshua 3:6-17). After the victory over Jericho, the Israelites were rejoicing.

Nine times in the first six chapters of this book it is said that the Lord had spoken and directed Joshua (1:1; 3:7; 4:1,8,10,15; 5:2,15; 6:2). However, now, without seeking direction from God, the Israelites attacked the city of Ai (Chapter 7). By not consulting the Lord, Israel was ignoring it's Commander in Chief and therefore was not made aware of sin in the camp, which made their defeat inevitable. Joshua had momentarily failed to consider that the Lord Himself was their Commander-in-Chief, and that He alone could issue orders that would result in success (1:5). God commanded that the evil sin by Achan had to be judged first. Only then could Joshua call on the Lord for directions in the complete victory over Ai.

The Israelites' reasoning that led to their defeat at Ai has been repeated by most of us. When no serious problems seem to exist, we become overconfident, seemingly self-sufficient, and assume the Lord expects us to use "our own good judgment." However, apart from our submission to the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit, the smallest temptation will prove to be too powerful for us. He alone imparts discernment as we read and desire to obey the Word of God. That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour (II Pet. 3:2).

Many begin their Christian lives in prayer and daily Bible reading but eventually become self-confident and forget what the Word of God tells us. Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall (Proverbs 16:18). The truth here is we don't win our victories because we are Christians any more than Joshua won the battle at Ai because he was an Israelite. Our battles are won by the love, care, and direction of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The Word of God is quick (living), and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder (in two) of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner (judge, critic) of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Hebrews 4:12).

Thought for Today:

The most honored of God's servants fail when they fail to pray!

Word Studies:

7:5 in the going down, on the way down the hillside; 7:6 put dust upon their heads, an expression of humility and sorrow; 7:11 dissembled, acted deceitfully; 7:19 give, I pray thee, glory to the Lord, confess the truth, which honors God.

Christ Revealed:

Through the uncut stones of the altar (Joshua 8:31). Daniel saw Christ as a Stone which was not cut by human hands (Daniel 2:34,45). Jesus is our Chief Corner Stone (I Peter 2:6-8).

Pray for Government Officials:

on your local, State, and Federal levels • Pray for Country: Japan (126 million) off the eastern coast of Asia • Major language: Japanese • Religious freedom • 57% Buddhist; 27% Shintoist and other Eastern religions; 3% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Rejoice over and pray for those who share the Good News (Nahum 1:15).

Optional Reading: John 6

Memory Verse for the Week: Revelation 1:3

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk