Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Exodus 23 – 25
Highlights:

Three very important feasts and the pattern of the Tabernacle and the Ark of the Covenant — all symbolic of Christ and His relationship with believers today.
And let them make Me a Sanctuary; that I may dwell among them. According to all that I shew thee, after the pattern of the Tabernacle, and the pattern of all the instruments thereof, even so shall ye make it (Ex. 25:8-9).

As evidence of the Israelites' covenant relationship with God, they were commanded: Ye shall serve the LORD your God (23:25). God alone determines what worship of Him is acceptable; thus He gave Moses detailed instructions for building the Tabernacle after the pattern of the one in Heaven (Heb. 8:5). It was to be a portable tent, appropriate for their wilderness journey, made from material given by every man that giveth it willingly with his heart (Ex. 25:2).

The parts of the Tabernacle and its furnishings all in some way foreshadowed the coming Messiah, Jesus Christ. The Tabernacle had a threefold purpose — to provide: a way for the Israelites to obtain a right relationship with God; a place for them to serve Him; and a place for God to dwell.

The Israelites were to follow the Lord's leading as to when to move and when to camp by following His visible presence in the form of a pillar of cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night (13:21-22; 14:19-20,24; 19:9; 24:15-18; 33:9-10).

Like Jesus, of whom Isaiah prophesied: There is no beauty that we should desire Him (Is. 53:2). In outward appearance, the Tabernacle was unattractive. It was covered with rams' skins . . . and a covering above of badgers' skins (Ex. 26:14). A white linen wall of separation was symbolic of the holiness of God and excluded all Gentiles from the Tabernacle. We cannot approach God on our own terms, but can only approach Him obediently in the way prescribed by God Himself. This linen curtain illustrates that sin has separated all mankind from the Holy Presence of God. And it is a reminder: As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one (Rom. 3:10).

There was only one door through which the worshiper could enter to present his sacrifice (Ex. 26:36). Again we see Jesus portrayed as He said unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door (John 10:7). For there is one God, and one Mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus (I Tim. 2:5).

As was fitting, the Tabernacle and all its furniture were eventually destroyed since Christ fulfilled all they represented. Today, access to God can be obtained only through our Lord Jesus Christ which he has offered freely to those who accept Him as Saviour and Lord (Matt. 10:32).

I am the door: by Me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture (John 10:9).

Thought for Today:

Isn't it amazing that such a Holy God would make a way for us as sinful people to have access to His presence?
Christ Revealed:

As the Ark of the Covenant (Testimony). The wood demonstrates His humanity; the gold overlay represented His deity. Only through His blood sprinkled on the Ark could one receive forgiveness. God dwelt above the Mercy Seat (Ex. 25:10-22). Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by His own blood He entered in once into the Holy Place, having obtained eternal redemption for us (Heb. 9:12).
Word Studies:

23:2 decline after many, yield to the evil majority; 23:8 gift, bribe; 23:13 be circumspect, take heed, be cautious; 23:31 sea of the Philistines, Mediterranean Sea; 25:10 cubit, about 18 inches; 25:37 over against it, on the opposite wall.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Andy P. Harris (MD) and Rep. Richard L. Hanna (NY) • Country: Norway (4.45 million) in northern Europe • Major language: Norwegian • Religious freedom • 87.8% Evangelical Lutheran; 3.8% Other Protestant and Catholic; 3.2% None; 5.2% Other (Orthodox, Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, Jehovah's Witness) • Prayer Suggestion: Pray that your life will always be pleasing to God (John 8:29).
Optional Reading: Matthew 25

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 100:4
:angel:

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Exodus 26 – 28
Highlights:

Pattern for the Tabernacle. It speaks of the person of Christ and the way of redemption. Progression from suffering, blood, and death, to beauty, holiness, and glory.
And thou shalt make an altar of shittim wood, five cubits long, and five cubits broad; the altar shall be foursquare: and the height thereof shall be three cubits (Ex. 27:1).

There were two altars connected with the Tabernacle worship. Both were made of Acacia or Shittim wood, but each was covered with a different metal. The first altar, just inside the court, was called the Brazen Altar and was covered with brass. Brass is a symbol of God's judgment. This was illustrated later when Moses lifted up the serpent of brass in the wilderness. God sent the deadly serpents as judgement for their complaining. The believing Israelites simply had to look at the brass serpent to be saved (Ex. 38:30; Num. 21:6-9; John 3:14-16).

The sinner, with his offering, entered the one door through the outer court and approached the Brazen Altar but could proceed no further. He placed his hands upon the sacrifice to acknowledge his guilt being transferred to the innocent animal. The blood was sprinkled to atone for his sins by the priest who prepared his sacrifice. The Brazen Altar was the only place on earth where acceptable sacrifices could be made for sin. The fire was kindled by an act of God and was never to go out. The trespass offering, meal offering, peace offering, and burnt offering were also made on this altar.

By faith, the sinner saw sin reduced to ashes at the Brazen Altar. Now, the believer has perfect peace in the assurance that his sins were all put away by God's own hand of redeeming love, mercy, and grace.

After the priest offered the sacrifice, he approached the laver of brass that contained the water which the priests used to cleanse their hands and feet before ministering in the Holy Place. The laver was symbolic of the Word of God that reveals our sins but provides His cleansing power in our lives.

As Christ foretold, the Temple was destroyed. The Ark of the Covenant and the Mercy Seat have been missing since the Babylonian captivity. God employed the Romans to destroy everything that had been vital for the Jews to worship Him. These things were only types and shadows of Christ. However, since the crucifixion, resurrection, and ascension of Christ, Jews and Gentiles have only one God-appointed means to be cleansed from sin. Christ gave Himself for the Church.

For He hath made Him to be sin for us, Who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him (II Cor. 5:21). The believer's sins have already been judged and cleansed at the cross, and when we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (I John 1:9). The result is: the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus (Phil. 4:7) of which the world knows nothing.

That He might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the Word (Eph. 5:26).

Thought for Today:

God desires for us to follow His plan for our lives and not to devise one of our own. His thoughts for us are thoughts of peace (Jer. 29:11).
Christ Revealed:

Through the Brazen Altar, upon which the Sin Offering was burned (Ex. 27:1-8; Lev. 4:1-35). Jesus' offering of Himself as the final sacrifice was the fulfillment of all Old Testament altars as well as all sacrificial offerings. Jesus Christ. . . . In whom we have redemption through His blood (Eph.1:5-7; John 1:29,36; Col. 1:14; Heb. 9:12).
Word Studies:

26:6 taches, devices for fastening two parts together; 26:19 tenons, projections that fit into one another; 27:6 staves, poles for carrying; 27:21 order it, keep it burning; 28:8 curious girdle, skillfully made belt; 28:32 hole of an habergeon, neck in a jacket or protective armor.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Gov. Mark Dayton (MS), Rep. Xavier Becerra (CA), Rep. Kevin McCarthy (CA), and Rep. Albio Sires (NJ) • Country: Oman (2 million) on the southeastern coast of Arabia • Major languages: Arabic and English • Fewer restrictions on Christian activity than most of its neighbors • 97% Muslim; .5% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: When discouraged over material or financial loss, praise the Lord for preparing and providing an eternal home (John 14:1-3).
Optional Reading: Matthew 26

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 100:4

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Exodus 29 – 31
Highlights:

Precise detail is given to fulfill God's will. The exceedingly great importance of the Ten Commandments written by God's own finger! The high priest foreshadows Christ, our great High Priest (Heb. 4:14-16; 9:11-12, 24-28).
And I will sanctify the Tabernacle of the congregation, and the altar: I will sanctify also both Aaron and his sons, to minister to me in the priest's office (Ex. 29:44).

After the priest had washed his hands and feet at the laver, he then proceeded toward the Tabernacle and entered through a heavy linen veil — the only door to the Holy Place. On the left was the seven-branched candlestick, made of solid beaten gold. It provided the only source of light in the Holy Place. The golden candlestick was actually a seven-branched lampstand. The Hebrew meaning of the word is light-bearer.

The priest of God enjoyed the holy bread in the light of the seven lamps which burned with pure olive oil (Ex. 25:31-37; Lev. 24:2,4). The work of the Holy Spirit can never be separated from the work of Christ in and through His disciples. The seven lamps were there, but priestly effort and diligence were needed to keep them trimmed and burning bright. Without this light, the room would have been in total darkness.

The candlestick represents Christ, who said: I am the Light of the world: he that followeth Me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the Light of Life (John 8:12, also Rev. 1:12-20). He also said: Yet a little while is the Light with you. Walk while ye have the Light . . . . believe in the Light, that ye may be the children of Light (John 12:35-36).

The lampstand tells us of the gracious provision which the Lord has made for all believers. The Church functions as the light of the world in the energy of the Holy Spirit. Walk in the light, as He is in the light (I John 1:7). He has provided just one Book as the source of light and discernment to comprehend His will (Ps. 119:105,130; Prov. 6:23).

On the right was the table of showbread with its twelve loaves of unleavened bread sprinkled with incense. After seven days the bread was eaten by the priest's family, but only in the Holy Place (Lev. 6:16-26; 24:5-9). None could be removed and eaten elsewhere. The name of the bread suggests more than just bodily nourishment. It implies the gaining of spiritual insight that is not obtainable in any other way.

The showbread is yours. Your place is at His pure table to feed upon Christ, the Living Word, in the light of the Holy Spirit. And as we continue to read His Word with a dependence upon the Holy Spirit, our lives will continue to become more and more an expression of His life. Showbread is also symbolic of the priceless, incomparable value of our Bible. Beyond our ability to explain, the Holy Spirit enlightens, empowers, and then transforms the lives of those who prayerfully continue to "eat" the Word of God, the Bread of Life.

But He answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God (Matt. 4:4).

Thought for Today:

The angels teach us that worship is not just an activity for us as individuals, but is also intended to be done as a group (Luke 2:13; also Heb. 10:25).
Christ Revealed:

Through the Laver, Christ is revealed as both the container and the dispenser of Living Water (Ex. 30:18; John 4:10). Jesus . . . cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto Me, and drink. . . . ye are clean through the Word which I have spoken unto you (John 7:37, 15:3; compare I Cor. 10:4).
Word Studies:

29:22 caul, fatty appendage on the liver; 29:24 wave them, present them with a waving motion; 29:39 even, twilight; 30:25 apothecary, perfumer.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by James and Ila Drost • Government Officials: Rep. John L. Mica (FL) and Rep. Bill J. Pascrell, Jr. (NJ) • Country: Pakistan (146.5 million) in southern Asia • Major languages: Urdu and English • There is no freedom to convert Muslims to Christ. Pakistan is an Islamic republic • 72% Sunni Muslim; 20% Shi'a Muslim; 3% Ahmadiya; 2% Christian; 2% Hindu; .1% Other (Baha'i, Animist, Farsi, Buddhist) • Prayer Suggestion: Ask in the name of Jesus for His glory, and your request will be granted (John 14:13-14).
Optional Reading: Matthew 27

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 100:5

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Exodus 32 – 34
Highlights:

The principal god of Egypt later became a god of Israel, a great sin (I Kings 12:28). Turning from the Living God to a molten calf reveals how deceptive "worship" can be.
And when the people saw that Moses delayed to come down out of the mount, the people gathered themselves together unto Aaron, and said unto him, Up, make us gods, which shall go before us; for as for this Moses, the man that brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we wot not what is become of him (Ex. 32:1).

Our attention has been on the Tabernacle and its marvellous picture of Christ in His glorious Person and perfect ministry for mankind. But at the same time, something tragic is taking place among the Israelites. Moses returns to the camp to behold how quickly and how far the Israelites had turned from the True and Living God.

They imagined that a calf, which they could see, was better than the invisible, yet ever-present God. Only six weeks before, all the people had sworn: All that the Lord hath spoken we will we do (19:8). Whenever something is needed to remind us of the Lord, too often we have chosen a visible counterfeit to replace His invisible reality.

It seems strange that there was no voice of protest from the elders or even from Miriam. Surely the decision was not unanimous. Perhaps, they were like some of us — when it seems that the misguided majority are loudly proclaiming what we know to be against the will of God, yet we do not protest. In such times silence becomes a sin.

Whenever anyone or anything takes the place that God should have in our lives, it is rebellion and sin. The human heart loves anything that can be seen — that which meets and gratifies the senses. We need to remember Moses' example: By faith . . . he endured, as seeing Him who is invisible (Heb. 11:27).

But before we too quickly throw stones and voice condemnation, let us compare the problem of the Israelites with twentieth century conduct. Most of us would not bow down to a graven image, but how easily money or career become similar idols. For others, the idol may be success or material things. Believing we've got to have more and more, our love and devotion for the Lord diminishes as things take His place.

Perhaps an even more subtle danger lies in surrounding ourselves with friends or business associates who are not Christians. Soon our social lives revolve around unbelievers. This may lead to spiritual fellowship with other Christians being crowded out and eventually forsaken.

And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say? (Luke 6:46).

Thought for Today:

Too often it is those who are rich in this world's goods that rule the Church instead of those of this world rich in faith (James 2:5).
Christ Revealed:

As the One who is ever-present. My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest (peace) (Ex. 33:14). He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee (Heb. 13:5; compare Matt. 11:28; John 14:27).
Word Studies:

32:12 mischief, evil intent; 32:20 strawed, scattered; 32:25 made them naked, let them get out of control; 34:10 terrible, marvelous, awesome.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Ilene Wallace • Government Officials: Rep. Brian P. Bilbray (CA), Rep. Linda T. Sanchez (CA), Rep. Bennie G. Thompson (MS), Rep. Lou Barletta (PA), and Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (NH) • Country: Panama (3 million) in southern Central America • Major languages: Spanish and English • Limited religious freedom • 78% Roman Catholic; 12% Protestant; 5% Muslim; .1% Eastern Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: If the words of God abide in you, whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive (John 15:7).
Optional Reading: Matthew 28

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Exodus 35 – 37
Highlights:

The Tabernacle completed. Worship of God must be in accordance with His Word. The Ark, Mercy Seat, Table of Showbread, Candlestick (Lampstand), Altar of Incense, and Tent each are an illustration of true worship of Jesus Christ.
And he made the incense altar of shittim wood: the length of it was a cubit, and the breadth of it a cubit; it was foursquare; and two cubits was the height of it; the horns thereof were of the same (Ex. 37:25).

Directly in front of the entrance to the Holy of Holies was the golden Altar of Incense. It was about 3 feet high, 1½ feet wide, and 1½ feet deep (30:2). The Altar of Incense was made with Acacia wood. It was much smaller than the Brazen Altar, but was covered with gold inside and out (30:3).

This golden Altar of Incense was used exclusively to burn incense morning and evening. Note the procedure: the sacrifice was offered, followed by the washing at the laver, the priest proceeded into the Holy Place and in the light of the seven-branched candlestick the bread was eaten. Only the priest was permitted to offer incense on behalf of the people. Each morning he would take a coal of fire from the Brazen Altar and place it on the Altar of Incense and then place the incense on it. Not until then were prayers acceptable to God. God was the source of this fire.

Just as it was then, the fire on the altar had to come from Heaven, so today Christ alone makes it possible to approach the Heavenly Father in prayer. For there is one God, and one Mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus (I Tim. 2:5). It is Christ that died . . . that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us (Rom. 8:34). This is also made clear in the book of Hebrews where we read: He is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by Him, seeing He ever liveth to make intercession for them (Heb. 7:25). Day and night, Christ, our High Priest, is interceding in prayer for Christians. Although our prayers are faulty, our praise feeble, and our worship far below the level of what it ought to be, the golden altar of incense illustrates that all true believers are a royal priesthood (I Pet. 2:5,9) unto God and have equal privilege to offer their prayers unto God.

The Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought; but the Spirit knows the desires of our hearts and alone is qualified to make intercession for us (Rom. 8:26). So, when we pray in the name of Jesus, every believer's prayer to our Heavenly Father is expected, welcomed, and pleasing to Him.

And another angel came and stood at the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given unto him much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne (Rev. 8:3).

Thought for Today:

Only believers who have received Christ as Savior and Lord of their lives can experience a true relationship with God.
Christ Revealed:

Through the Candlestick (Ex. 35:14). Christ is The Light of the World (John 1:6-9; 8:12; 9:5; comp. Luke 1:78-79).
Word Studies:

35:10 wise hearted, skillful, expert craftsman; 35:11 his, its; 35:32 curious, artistic, skillful.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Paul D. Ryan (WI) and Rep. Lee Terry (NE) • Country: Papua New Guinea (5 million) in the southwestern Pacific • Major languages: 715 indigenous languages • Religious freedom • 64% Protestant; 33% Roman Catholic; 2% ancestor worship, belief in spirits, and witchcraft • Prayer Suggestion: Thank God for sending the
Holy Spirit (John 16:7-8).

Optional Reading: Mark 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Exodus 38 – 39
Highlights:

Precise instructions of God regarding the garments the priests should wear.
The Ark of the Testimony, and the staves thereof, and the Mercy Seat (Ex. 39:35).

The Ark of the Testimony (Ex. 25:22) was also called the Ark of the Covenant (Num. 10:33). It was a wooden chest about 4 feet long, 2¼ feet wide, and 2¼ feet high. The wood was overlaid with gold, both inside and out. The Ark was a type of Christ — the fulfilment of God's Covenant — who was both human and deity. The wood and the gold symbolize the dual nature of our Lord as God and man. The other six items described in this passage all express some aspect of Christ's work, but the Ark symbolizes who He is. The Ark was made of the Acacia tree which grew in the dry deserts through which Israel journeyed. It portrayed the human nature of our Lord, as foretold by Isaiah: He shall grow up before Him as a tender plant and as a root out of a dry ground (Isa. 53:2). The "lid" to the Ark was called the Mercy Seat and was made entirely of gold, signifying the supreme glory and majesty of God.

The Ark of the Testimony was kept within the veil, in the Holy of Holies — the only place of communication between God and Moses (25:22). Without the Ark and the presence of the Lord, all the services of the Tabernacle would have been meaningless. Likewise, when God's Word becomes an incidental part of our worship service or when it is mixed with humanistic philosophy, the Lord cannot reveal Himself to His people and our service is meaningless. Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away (II Tim. 3:5).

The priests, on behalf of the worshiper, were allowed to enter only the first room of the Tabernacle, called the Holy Place. On only one day of the year, God directed Aaron, the High Priest, to go from the Holy Place into the Holy of Holies.

On the Day of Atonement, the High Priest sprinkled the blood of an innocent animal upon the Mercy Seat seven times (Lev. 16:14). Only after the blood was sprinkled did God say, I will meet with thee and I will commune with thee (Ex. 25:22). How we thank God that Christ, the perfect Lamb of God, redeemed us by His own blood. Then, He as our High Priest entered the Holy of Holies in Heaven as our Mediator, having obtained eternal redemption for us (Heb. 9:9-24).

Being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in His blood, to declare His righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God (Rom. 3:24-25).

Thought for Today:

We can truly trust Him with our every need.
Christ Revealed:

Through the Golden Altar and its incense — representing prayers going up to heaven (Ex. 39:38; also Rev. 5:8; 8:3-4). Christ prayed for us: Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on Me through their word (John 17:20).
Word Studies:

38:17 chapiters of silver, tops of silver; 38:18 answerable, corresponding to; 39:2 ephod, high priest's outer garment; 39:3 wires, fine strings, threads; 39:13 ouches, settings for a brooch worn as jewelry; 39:15 wreathen, twisted, braided.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Frank R. Wolf (VA) • Country: Paraguay (5 million) in southern South America • Major languages: Spanish and Guarani • Religious freedom • 96% Roman Catholic; 2% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Ask according to the will of God and you will receive (John 16:24).
Optional Reading: Mark 2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Exodus 40
Highlights:

It is the first day of the first month in the second year. The Tabernacle was reared up (40:17). The glory of the LORD filled the Tabernacle (Ex. 40:35).
And thou shalt put therein the Ark of the Testimony, and cover the Ark with the vail (Ex. 40:3).

The contents of the Ark provided a record of Jehovah's faithfulness. The first tables of the Law were broken when Moses saw the golden calf. This illustrates how all mankind has broken God's Word. But the second two tablets of stone were written by the finger of God and foretold the time of which God said: I will put My law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts (Jer. 31:33).

In addition to the Law, within this Ark was a golden pot that contained manna (Ex. 16:32-34; Heb. 9:4), the daily bread that was provided the Israelites during their 40-year wilderness journey. It was a complete diet. Nothing else was necessary. Jesus said He is the true manna, (John 6:31-35) and that we should live by every Word of God.

The only other article within the Ark was Aaron's rod that budded, a reminder of the absolute authority of God in directing the affairs of our lives. In the desert Moses and Aaron were confronted by their cousin Korah and a crowd that revolted against their authority in deciding daily issues (Num. 16-17). To settle the matter of authority, the heads of each of the tribes, including Aaron, laid their staffs together, symbols of their tribal authority. All the rods were lifeless, just dead pieces of wood. But the following morning Aaron's rod had miraculously budded. We need to recognize that our authority is not based on popular opinion, but on God's Word alone.

Since the authority of God is revealed in His Word, the Christian cannot neglect any portion of the Bible without suffering loss: All Scripture . . . is profitable (II Tim. 3:16). Whatsoever things were written aforetime (meaning the Old Testament) were written for our learning (Rom. 15:4).

Once everything was complete, then a cloud (the Shekinah glory of God's visible presence) . . . filled the tabernacle . . . . when the cloud was taken up from over the tabernacle, the children of Israel went onward . . . But if the cloud were not taken up, then they journeyed not (Ex. 40:34-37).

After Jesus ascended into Heaven, the precious Holy Spirit came to indwell all who turn from sin and acknowledge Christ as Saviour. Now we are God's dwelling place, His holy Temple, dedicated, consecrated, and sacred. We are in Him and in fellowship with one another, built together as a place where God lives through His Spirit (Eph. 2:21-22). Yes, your body is the Temple of the Holy (Spirit) Ghost (I Cor. 6:19).

This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh (Gal. 5:16).

Thought for Today:

The Bible teaches us to look for the glorious appearing of . . . our (Lord and) Saviour Jesus Christ. What a blessed hope we have (Titus 2:13).
Christ Portrayed:

By Aaron as the high priest (Ex. 40:13). Christ being come an High Priest. . . . to appear in the presence of God for us (Heb. 9:7-24).
Word Studies:

40:3 cover the Ark, install the veil as a partition; 40:7 Laver, large basin or bowl used for washing the hands and feet; 40:8 hanging, curtains; 40:9 hallow, set apart, consecrate, dedicate; 40:10 sanctify, set apart for God; 40:11 his foot, its stand, base.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. C.A. "Dutch" Ruppersberger (MD), Rep. Bill P. Huizenga (MI), and Rep. Larry Kissell (NC) • Country: Peru (26 million) on the western coast of South America • Major languages: Spanish and Quechua • Open to evangelism and Bible distribution • 90% Christian; 8% non-Religious/Other; 1.2% Traditional ethnic; .3% Buddhist; .09% Baha'i; .02% Jewish • Prayer Suggestion: Pray that Christians would be united as Christ and God are one (John 17:11,21).
Optional Reading: Mark 3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Leviticus 1 – 3

Highlights:

In Leviticus, the first words of God to Moses are: Speak unto the children of Israel (Lev. 1:2). Find out for yourself how to approach God and continue in fellowship with Him.
If his offering be a Burnt Sacrifice of the herd, let him offer a male without blemish: he shall offer it of his own voluntary will at the door of the Tabernacle of the congregation before the Lord. And he shall put his hand upon the head of the Burnt Offering; and it shall be accepted for him to make atonement for him (Lev. 1:3-4).

The Burnt Offering was unlike all other sacrifices in that it was burned entirely and was presented voluntarily. It could be brought by one who felt the need of humbly coming before the Lord in deep gratitude for His mercy, confessing any offenses and failings which were not specifically mentioned in the Law. But most of all, it signified his dedication and consecration to God.

In some instances, like the Peace Offering, both the priest and the one who brought the offering ate of the sacrifice. In most sacrifices, only the fat was burned; but with the Burnt Offering, no one could eat of it — everything was burned. This was an act of seeking to fully please the Father, with no thought of satisfying self or of pleasing others (Ex. 29:42). As the sacrifice was reduced to ashes, a sweet savor ascended to God and satisfied Him.

The Burnt Offering was often a valuable ox that normally plowed in a field or pulled a huge cart. To offer less than his best, his offering would not qualify as a Burnt Offering. This was designed to teach us that we too are to offer our best unto God — the best of our time, talents, and possessions.

Just as a transformation took place from the time the ox was plowing the field to the time it was reduced to ashes, so every Christian who presents himself a "living sacrifice" will be transformed by the indwelling Holy Spirit.

As Christ takes control of our lives, all pride, self-sufficiency, and self-interest will be reduced to ashes — eliminated — and the Christian becomes a sweet savor — a satisfaction to God.

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God (Rom. 12:1-2).

Thought for Today:

And that He died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto Him which died for them, and rose again (II Cor. 5:15).
Christ Revealed:

Through the Meat (Meal, Grain) Offering which was made without leaven (symbolic of sin) (Lev. 2:11). Christ was without sin (Heb. 4:15).
Word Studies:

2:4 oblation, offering, sacrifice; 3:9 hard by, near.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for our Military worldwide • International Broadcasts: Sponsored by Mr. & Mrs. Edward Mantych • Staff: Dr. John A. Hash • Government Official: Sen. Mike Enzi (WY) • Country: Philippines (76 million) in Southeast Asia • Major languages: Filipino and English • Religious persecution in some areas • 80% Catholic; 9% Protestant; 8% Muslim (mostly Sunni); 3% Other (Buddhist, Animist, non-Religious) • Prayer Suggestion: Rejoice that our Savior lives (John 20:15-18).
Optional Reading: Mark 4

NOTE: Bible Pathway covers the Old Testament with devotional and commentary insights over a nine-month period, January through September. Each day during these months, an optional reading of one chapter a day from the New Testament will also be listed. The October, November, and December issues will provide a daily commentary on the New Testament readings. Thus, the reader goes through the New Testament twice each year using the Bible Pathway plan.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Leviticus 4 – 6
Highlights:

The Lord is saying again to Moses: Speak unto the children of Israel (Lev. 4:2). In today's reading we discover how sin is confronted and how people guilty of sin can approach the holy sinless God. In His marvelous mercy Christ made a way!
And if he be not able (too poor) to bring a lamb, then he shall bring for his trespass, which he hath committed, two turtledoves, or two young pigeons, unto the Lord; one for a Sin Offering, and the other for a Burnt Offering (Lev. 5:7).

The Sin Offering was mandatory and had to be offered before any other sacrifice could be made. Each person was required to bring his own animal to the Tabernacle, but only the priest could offer the blood upon the Altar.

In other offerings, the Israelite came as a worshiper; but when making a Sin or Trespass Offering, he came as a confessor. The offerer placed his hands upon the head of the animal as an act of passing his sins to the innocent animal. It was then put to death instead of the sinner, thus paying the price for the sinner's redemption. It was only then that he was qualified to worship and was allowed to voluntarily present the Burnt Offering, the Meat Offering, and the Peace Offering.

The Sin Offering was a testimony to the fact that man had sinned and that God had provided atonement for sin. It typifies the faith of a sinner who is trusting in the fact that his sins have been borne by another.

These animal sacrifices were no longer required by God after Christ, the Lamb of God, became our Sin Offering when He died on the cross. No one will ever be saved by offering other sacrifices, such as keeping the Golden Rule, doing the best he can, or by joining a good church.

As the Sin Offering was mandatory, so was Christ's death on the cross. Before we can accept Christ as our Savior, we must recognize that we are sinners.

But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year. For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins. Wherefore when He cometh into the world, He saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared Me: In Burnt Offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure. . . . By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all (Heb. 10:3-6,10).

Thought for Today:

Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost (Titus 3:5).
Christ Revealed:

Through the body of the young bull which was burned without the camp (Lev. 4:12). This pictures Jesus as He suffered without the gate (Heb. 13:11-12).
Word Studies:

4:20 an atonement, forgiven; 5:2 unclean, defiled as stated in the Law; 5:8 asunder, in two parts; 5:10 manner, law, ordinance; 5:17 bear his iniquity, bear the consequences of his sin; 5:18 thy estimation, valued by you; 6:14 meat, grain; 6:18 statute, ordinance, rule; 6:28 sodden, boiled.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts: In memory of Clarence Chauncey • Bible Pathway Printer: Ambrose Printing Staff, Nashville TN • Staff: Chris Robison • Government Official: Sen. John Cornyn (TX) • Country: Poland (38.6 million) in eastern Europe • Major language: Polish • Religious freedom • 96% Roman Catholic (including .31% Greek Catholic); 1.56% Orthodox; .5% Protestant; .01% Muslim; .01% Far Eastern Religions; 1.7% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Pray in one accord with other Christians (Acts 1:14).
Optional Reading: Mark 5

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Leviticus 7 – 8
Highlights:

Consecration and 10 steps to cleansing. They do dovetail with our responsibilities. What is required of a priest and how does the priesthood parallel with those who are Christians? Can you draw a parallel between Aaron, the first high priest (Lev. 21:10), and Christ, a Christian's Great High Priest (Heb. 4:14)?
In the place where they kill the Burnt Offering shall they kill the Trespass Offering: and the blood thereof shall he sprinkle round about upon the Altar (Lev. 7:2).

The Trespass Offering implied sin against another, as well as sin against God. The Sin Offering was required because all men are sinners. But the Trespass Offering was made for specific sins.

God not only demanded that all who committed an unlawful act should bring an offering, but if he had wronged another, he was to restore equal value, plus an additional 20 percent.

The offender could not eat of the Trespass Offering, as he could of the Peace Offering. Instead, he came as an unworthy sinner seeking to restore peace with God.

Even if the offender had committed a trespass in ignorance, he was just as guilty. His ignorance showed that he had neglected to hear or read the Word of God (6:26).

God chose Aaron to be the high priest, the most prominent position in Israel's worship. To prepare him for this, God commanded Moses to wash Aaron and his sons with water (7:6).

In addition, it was commanded that the blood of it (the sacrificed ram be) . . . put . . . upon the tip of Aaron's right ear, and upon the thumb of his right hand, and upon the great toe of his right foot (8:22-23). This signified that their whole bodies were set apart for service to God.

The applications of the blood as described meant that the ear was prepared to hear, the hand was prepared to work, and the foot was prepared to walk in the way and in the will of God.

Christians should prayerfully weigh each decision and conduct their daily walk in ways which honor the Lord.

Christ . . . gave Himself for it (the Church); That He might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the Word . . . (Therefore, the Christian) should be holy and without blemish (Eph. 5:25-27).

Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water (Heb. 10:22).

Thought for Today:

For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them (Eph. 2:10).
Christ Portrayed:

By Moses as he consecrated the priests who were called for the ministry of the Tabernacle (Lev. 8:1-36). Christ is the One who sets the believer apart for service. Ye have not chosen Me, but I have chosen you, and ordained (appointed) you (John 15:16).
Word Studies:

7:4 flanks, sides; 7:18 abomination, offensive thing, unclean, detestable to God; 8:7 curious girdle, artistic band; 8:8 U'rim and the Thum'mim, unspecified items used to determine the will of God; 8:9 mitre, turban, headdress; 8:11 foot, base; 8:13 bonnets, headpieces; 8:35 keep the charge, obey the ordinances.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts: Sponsored by Iva Jo Swinsburg • Staff: Dan Murton • Government Officials: Rep. Tom Graves (GA), Rep. Rob J. Whitman (VA), and Gov. Robert J. Bentley (AL) • Country: Portugal (10 million) in western Europe • Major language: Portuguese • Limited religious freedom • 95% Christian; 4% non-Religious/Other; .5% Muslim; .1% Hindu; .01% Jewish • Prayer Suggestion: Pray in one accord and praise God as the Creator (Acts 4:24).
Optional Reading: Mark 6

Memory Verse for the Week: Ephesians 3:17

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk