Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Genesis 43 – 45
Highlights:

Joseph reveals himself. See Christ's love, mercy, and forgiveness clearly as Joseph weeps for his brothers. Jacob's joy as he learns Joseph is alive.
If thou wilt send our brother with us, we will go down and buy thee food (Gen. 43:4).

Unrecognized by his brothers, Joseph gave them strict orders that they must bring their youngest brother Benjamin when they returned, or they would not be allowed to buy any more food. Hearing this, they were once again stricken with feelings of deep guilt over selling Benjamin's older brother Joseph.

After questioning them about their family, Joseph had them put in prison for three days — not for revenge, but to give them time to think about their sinful past (42:17).

Joseph then demanded that Simeon be kept hostage until they brought their youngest brother as proof they were telling the truth, that they were not spies but in need of food (42:11). After returning home, Jacob was deeply distressed concerning the demand to bring Benjamin to Egypt. Not until they were in desperate need and there was no choice but to either starve or let him go, would Jacob permit his sons to take Benjamin on their next journey.

In Egypt their sacks were once again filled. As they were returning home, they were arrested and their sacks searched. Joseph's silver goblet was discovered in Benjamin's sack where it had been secretly placed by Joseph's steward. Benjamin was immediately taken into custody. The brothers were all forced to return to Egypt and, in fear, met at the ruler's home. Judah begged to take Benjamin's place, pleading that they could not face their father knowing how heartbroken he would be. Although the cup in his sack made Benjamin look guilty, Judah was ready to become a slave to set Benjamin free. What a wonderful change in attitude!

Like Joseph, our Lord in loving-kindness, is merciful. He brings us to the place where we no longer attempt to defend ourselves but confess that we are undeserving sinners. It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is Thy faithfulness (Lam. 3:22-23).

Joseph's exalted position never caused him to lose sight of his loyalty to God because of the affairs of his life. Consequently, he held no hatred or bitterness for his brothers' cruelty. The Holy Spirit will work the same in the hearts of all who allow God to control their lives.

Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye (Col. 3:12-13).

Thought for Today:

The circumstances of our lives change day by day. Much of life is dealing with the good and the bad times of our lives and responding properly to what comes.
Christ Revealed:

Through Joseph's dealings with his brothers. Christ deals with us in such a way as to bring about our confession of sin and a recognition of His forgiving love. In a similar way, He reveals His sovereignty over the affairs of life (Gen. 45:5-8,15; compare Rom. 5:8; Eph. 1:17, 20-22).
Word Studies:

43:7 straitly, specifically; tenor, had to answer him; 43:25 against Joseph came, for Joseph's arrival; 43:30 bowels, heart; 44:12 left at, finished with; 45:16 fame, news; 45:24 fall not out by the way, have no argument on your way.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff • Micheal Moore • Country: Myanmar (formerly Burma) (48.1 million) in Southeast Asia • Major languages: Burmese and ethnic languages • Limited religious freedom • 87.5% Buddhist; 6% Christian; 4% Muslim (mainly Sunni); 1% animist; .5% Hindu; 1% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Ask for your daily needs (Luke 11:3).
Optional Reading: Matthew 15

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 100:3

:angel:

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Genesis 46 – 48
Highlights:

Read the stirring details of how God used Joseph to dramatically save not only the small Israelite family from extinction but enabled them to grow into a great nation.
And Israel took his journey with all that he had, and came to Beersheba, and offered sacrifices unto the God of his father Isaac (Gen. 46:1).

Jacob's sons returned from Egypt with the wonderful news: Joseph is yet alive, and he is governor over all the land of Egypt (45:26).

Although Jacob longed to see his precious son Joseph, yet he must know God's will. His grandfather Abraham had gone into Egypt and had sinned and Isaac, his father was forbidden by God to go to Egypt. Furthermore, Jacob had other reasons to fear. He was an old man now, far advanced in years. Would he forsake the promised land to be buried in Egypt outside the will of God? Could he, even for Joseph's sake, go down into Egypt? NO! He would not allow his natural love for his son or his desperate need for provisions to interfere with God's purpose. In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of Him who worketh all things after the counsel of His own will (Eph. 1:11).

Jacob was afraid to proceed further. He did not want to forfeit his right to the Abrahamic Covenant promises. He could not risk entering Egypt with all these fears. So, before he left Canaan, he stopped at Beersheba, near the border of the promised land, where Abraham and Isaac had offered sacrifices (Gen.21:33; 26:24; 25; 46:1). In the same area where God had met Abraham and had spoken to Isaac, Jacob presented his fears and laid his all on the altar — "To go, or not to go?" — leaving the decision to God. Much later, Paul prayed, Now God himself and our Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, direct our way unto you (I Thes. 3:11).

After entering Egypt and enjoying Joseph's care for some years, Jacob had to teach his descendants the consequences of failing to seek God's guidance. As the time drew nigh that Israel (Jacob) must die (Gen.47:29), he bestowed his prophetic blessing upon Joseph's two sons, Manasseh and Ephraim (48:17-20).

Our road ahead is designed to test our faith and focus our attention on the guidance of God. If Christians could realize what those in eternity know now, they would drop all interest in this world's attractions and prayerfully read all that God has written. But there are rival voices sounding everywhere. They demand attention and fill our eyes and ears with such a multitude of sounds that we often neglect the Voice from the throne, God's voice, through His word. And too often it is ignored.

Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world (I John 4:4).

Thought for Today:

Before making any life decision, seek the Lord for His guidance. His Word is our Guide.
Christ Portrayed:

By Joseph, who was placed second only to Pharaoh (Gen. 41:39-40) to sustain life and give provision (47:15-17). Jesus said: The Bread of God is He which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world (John 6:33).
Word Studies:

46:4 put his hand upon thine eyes, be with you when you die; 46:31 Pharaoh was a title given to the monarchs of Egypt; 47:4 sore, severe; 47:6 activity, ability, competence; 48:6 thy issue, your offspring; 48:14 wittingly, knowingly.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcast • Thursday Morning Prayer • Government Official: Rep. Diane L. Black (TN) • Country: Namibia (1.6 million) in southwest Africa • Major languages: Afrikaans and German • Religious freedom • 89% Christian; 10% Traditional; 1% Other (Muslim, Jewish, Baha'i)• Prayer Suggestion: Realize that your life is in the hands of God, and ask Him to deliver you from all evil (Luke 11:4).
Optional Reading: Matthew 16

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Genesis 49 – Exodus 1
Highlights:

Jacob foretold prophetic future of each tribe. Jacob dies. The death of Joseph. Israel's extreme need for redemption in Exodus.
And Joseph said unto his brethren, I die: and God will surely visit you, and bring you out of this land unto the land which he sware to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob (Gen. 50:24).

Joseph's words echoed his father Jacob's dying words (49: 9-10). They expressed his utmost confidence in the same promises of God that said the Messiah King would descend from his son Judah. The prophetic promise of God to Abraham and Isaac has now become Jacob's. Jacob foretold: Judah is a . . . lion . . . . The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto Him shall the gathering of the people be (49:9-10).

As part of God's plan Jacob's son Joseph had enjoyed prosperity in Egypt (47:28). But prosperity in Egypt had not satisfied him. His heart was in the land of promise (49:29-33). Then Joseph, in his dying days, reminded his brethren that Egypt was not God's best.

Joseph, without a doubt, believed this, so he did not want to be buried in Egypt. Joseph said . . . God will . . . bring you out of this land. And Joseph took an oath of the children of Israel, saying, God will surely visit you, and ye shall carry up my bones from hence (50:25).

Joseph had lived in prosperity for seventeen years, but prosperity may not be a blessing but is often a curse. Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the Kingdom which He hath promised to them that love Him? (James 2:5). It is impossible to hold on to the best of both the physical and spiritual worlds at the same time. So the Lord has taught Christians to lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven . . . For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also (Matt. 6:20-21).

Often material riches subtly lead into a state of slavery to our possessions. This is the spiritual significance of events narrated by Chapter 40 of Genesis to Exodus 1. Israel became enslaved, but their slavery and suffering prepared them for their Exodus (escape) out of Egypt and to enhance their love for the promised land. It caused them to pray earnestly for deliverance and thereby God was able to reveal His great mercy in bringing about their redemption and freedom. Through this experience, they learned that they had a King above all kings. Even today, true spiritual growth and progress are often preceded by suffering and sorrow.

Though He were a Son, yet learned He obedience by the things which He suffered; And being made perfect, He became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey Him (Heb. 5:8-9).

Thought for Today:

The more important the things of the world become to us, the easier it is to forget God's purpose for our lives.
Christ Revealed:

As the Messiah who would come through the tribe of Judah. The sceptre shall not depart from Judah . . . until Shiloh (Peacemaker) come (Gen. 49:10). Jesus . . . the son (descendant) of . . . Juda (Luke 3:23-33).
Word Studies:

Gen. 49:10 gathering, obedience; 49:20 fat, rich; 49:21 hind, deer; 50:15 requite us, pay us back in full; Ex. 1:10 when there falleth out any, in the event of; 1:13 serve with rigour, work as slaves under cruel circumstances.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Dan Murton • Country: Nauru (11,000) in the central Pacific • Major languages: Nauruan and English • Religious freedom • 57% Protestant; 24% Roman Catholic; 10% Buddhist and Chinese folk-religionist • Prayer Suggestion: Pray persistently; you will receive an answer (Luke 11:9-10).
Optional Reading: Matthew 17

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Exodus 2 – 4
Highlights:

Moses, the distinguished lawgiver, is a type of Christ. Both were prophets who were endangered in infancy. Both were deliverers and mediators. God commissioned Moses to stand before Pharaoh as their advocate.
And the woman conceived, and bare a son: and when she saw him that he was a goodly child, she hid him three months. And when she could not longer hide him, she took for him an ark of bulrushes, and daubed it with slime and with pitch, and put the child therein; and she laid it in the flags by the river's brink (Ex. 2:2-3).

After the death of Joseph, the once privileged Israelites were reduced to bitter slavery. The severity of their oppression became obvious when Pharaoh charged all his people, saying, Every (Israelite) son that is born ye shall cast into the river (1:22). It may have appeared that God had forsaken His people. But, centuries earlier, God had foretold their slavery to Abraham, saying: Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years; And . . . afterward shall they come out with great substance (Gen. 15:13-14).

This promise of deliverance began to be fulfilled when Amram's wife Jochebed, the daughter of Levi (Num. 26:59) bare a son. We cannot measure the power of faith, but this is an example of how a mother's faith saved the child who became the great lawgiver. God used Moses, Jochebed's son, to lead His people out of bondage.

Through the miracles God said He would and did perform through Moses (Ex. 4:30), the people were convinced that God would use him to lead them to the promised land.

No change had yet actually taken place in their condition. They had only been assured by Moses and Aaron that God had not forgotten them during their four hundred years. Although their suffering was still just as intense, they bowed their heads and worshipped (4:31). To those with an unbelieving heart, this worship would seem presumptuous.

Some Christians who are suffering the greatest hardships, should not lose sight of the awesomeness of the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Moses. The Lord permits impossible situations to develop our faith.

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him that loved us (Rom. 8:35-37).

Thought for Today:

God cares about us and knows how to deliver us (II Pet. 2:9).
Christ Revealed:

As the I AM THAT I AM who commissioned Moses (Ex. 3:13-14; comp. Heb. 13:8). Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily (Truly, truly), I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am (John 8:58).
Word Studies:

2:13 strove, were quarreling; 2:16 of Midian, of the descendants of Abraham through his second wife Keturah (Gen. 25:1-4); 2:23 sighed by reason of, groaned because of; 2:25 had respect unto, was concerned about; 3:22 spoil, take the wealth of.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Gov. Martin O'Malley (MD), Rep. Elijah E. Cummings (MD), Rep. Kay Granger (TX), and Rep. Michael H. Michaud (ME) • Country: Nepal (24.3 million) a mountain-ringed Himalayan state between Tibet and India • Major language: Nepali • Limited religious freedom • 85% Hindu; 10% Buddhist; 3% Muslim; 2% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Be specific in your prayers (Luke 18:41-43).
Optional Reading: Matthew 18

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Exodus 5 – 7
Highlights:

Pharaoh brashly questions: Who is the LORD (5:2)? God reveals Himself through specific object lessons — the ten plagues. God faithfully fulfills His promise to Abraham (6:6; 15:13-14). Egyptians in a river of blood.
And Moses returned to the LORD, and said, Lord wherefore hast Thou so evil entreated this people? why is it that Thou hast sent me? For since I came to Pharaoh to speak in Thy name, he hath done evil to this people; neither hast Thou delivered Thy people at all (Ex. 5:22-23).

Instead of freeing the Israelites from slavery, it seemed that their pain and suffering had increased because of Moses and Aaron. Whenever God is ready to do something through us for others, there often is a breaking before there is a making. Moses and Aaron not only experienced ridicule and resistance from Pharaoh, but they were criticized by those whom they attempted to liberate from slavery. That was truly a test.

One would think that the Israelites would be thankful to be set free from their 400 years of slavery. They had the knowledge that God would be by their side the entire time. Instead, they criticized Moses and Aaron, accusing them of having increased their burdens and of turning the Egyptians against them. However, in faith, Moses and Aaron did as the LORD commanded them (7:6). The Israelites had an outward need to be freed from slavery but they had an inward need to exercise faith in the Word of God. Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the Word of God (Heb. 11:13). Humanly speaking, most would not choose to have to endure suffering. But God has said, Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution (II Tim. 3:12). Like the Israelites, some Christians complain rather than seek to obey the will of God.

Once God begins to move in our lives to free us from sin or to use us to witness to others, Satan attempts to frustrate God's purposes and discourage the child of faith from fulfilling the will of God. The Apostle Paul wrote: If so be that we suffer with Him that we may be also glorified together. For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us (Rom. 8:17-18).

Like Moses, the servant of God, you should seek to persuade others to unconditionally give their hearts and lives to the Lord. He delights to see his Savior glorified in the eyes of others.

And He said to them all, if any man will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after Me, cannot be My disciple (Luke 9:23; 14:27).

Thought for Today:

Don't be surprised when Satan comes against you when you begin to serve the Lord.
Christ Revealed:

As the Redeemer from the bondage of sin. I will bring you out . . . I will redeem you (Ex. 6:6). Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things . . . But with the precious blood of Christ (I Pet. 1:18-19).
Word Studies:

5:8 tale, quota; 5:9 vain words, worthless promises of Moses; 5:11 not ought, none; 5:13 hasted, kept driving; 5:19 minish, make fewer in number; 5:21 made our savour to be abhorred, made us offensive; 7:15 against he come, waiting to meet him.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Del. Gregorio Kilili Camacho Sablan (Northern Mariana Islands) • Country: Netherlands (15.8 million) in northwestern Europe • Major language: Dutch • Religious freedom • 35% Catholic; 28% Protestant; 3% Muslim; 1% Hindu; .9% Buddhist; .1% Jewish; 2% Other; 30% Unaffiliated • Prayer Suggestion: Watch and pray that you may be worthy to stand before the Lord Jesus Christ (Luke 21:36).
Optional Reading: Matthew 19

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Exodus 8 – 10
Highlights:

With frogs everywhere, including in his bed, the stubborn Pharaoh tells Moses to wait until "tomorrow" to remove them (8:10). Notice how the plagues grow in severity.
And Pharaoh called for Moses and for Aaron, and said, Go ye, sacrifice to your God in the land (Ex. 8:25).

When Moses requested that the Israelites be permitted to worship the One True God, it was an insult to Pharaoh, who considered himself one of the great gods of Egypt — then the most powerful kingdom on earth. Pharaoh did not refuse Moses' request, but he disagreed with the way they should worship.

Pharaoh is symbolic of Satan, and since Satan's opposition is still the same today, we need to consider Pharaoh's demands on how to worship. If Satan can't succeed with open scorn and opposition, he will try to persuade us to compromise. While God had told Moses that Israel was to go into the wilderness to sacrifice (3:18), Pharaoh said the opposite, be one of us. Ye shall not go very far away (8:28). This is one of the means of compromise that Satan suggests to draw people away from true worship of the Lord. God had also said: Three days' journey (3:18) — a complete break from Egypt. Pharaoh meant: "Do not get too involved in serving your Lord." Many today believe they can worship on the Lord's Day but live like the world the rest of the week. But, to God, worship should reflect total commitment to Christ as our way of life.

Pharaoh asked: Who are they that shall go? And Moses said, We will go with our young and with our old, with our sons and with our daughters, with our flocks and with our herds . . . for we must hold a feast unto the LORD (10:9).

Pharaoh had also said: Go . . . only let your flocks and your herds remain (10:24). If he could not induce them to sacrifice in the land, he would send them without sacrifices. Moses made no concessions, no compromises. Full surrender to Christ and supreme loyalty to Him are considered narrow-minded and are never understood by the world. Satan would have us believe that our faith should not interfere with nor influence our business affairs, social lives, government, or schools.

Enter ye in at the strait gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it (Matt. 7:13-14).

Thought for Today:

There is only one way to worship and that is in Spirit and in Truth (John 4:24).
Christ Revealed:

As the Light to His people. There was a thick darkness in all the land of Egypt . . . but all the children of Israel had light in their dwellings (Ex. 10:22-23). Jesus said: I am The Light of the World: he that followeth Me shall not walk in darkness (John 8:12). The Lord will lighten my darkness (II Sam. 22:29; also Is. 42:6-7).
Word Studies:

8:15 respite, relief, an interval of delay; 8:22 sever, set apart; separate; 8:23 put a division, make a distinction; 9:3 grievous murrain, severe pestilence or disease; 9:31 in the ear, ripening; bolled, in the bud; 10:7 be a snare unto us, endanger our welfare.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in honor of Joshua Belisle • Government Officials: Gov. Nimrata Randhawa Haley (SC), Rep. Shelley Berkley (NV) and Rep. Bill L. Owens (NY) • Country: New Zealand (4 million) two large islands southeast of Australia • Major languages: English and Maori • Religious freedom • 51% Protestant; 16% Roman Catholic; 3% cults • Prayer Suggestion: Intercede in prayer for others by name (Luke 22:31-32).
Optional Reading: Matthew 20

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 100:4

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Exodus 11 – 13
Highlights:

Israel's salvation was through the blood from the Passover lamb. In terrifying contrast was the death of all the Egyptian firstborn. The Exodus is the central event of the Old Testament as the Blood of Christ is in the New.
Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year: ye shall take it out from the sheep, or from the goats (Ex. 12:5).

A Holy God does not ignore sin. The Egyptians and the Israelites alike were sinners by nature. For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God (Rom. 3:23). According to God's purpose the death sentence was passed upon all the firstborn in the land of Egypt (Ex. 11:5) where Israelites and Egyptians both dwelt. However, God provided a way of deliverance for the Israelites because of His Covenant with Abraham. But it was surely not by works of their righteousness — they had none. The sentence of death must be executed, but for all who believed in the One True God, a substitute was offered. It's blood was applied as God had directed.

Some might have said: "I have no need for the blood; I'm a descendant of Abraham. Furthermore, I was circumcised on the eighth day and am now recognized as a true Jew. Also, everybody knows I'm a good moral person." But none of these reasons would have kept the death angel from executing the death sentence upon the firstborn. It was personal faith in God and the sacrificial blood of the lamb that made the difference between life and death. When the angel of God's judgment saw the blood upon the houses of the Israelites, he passed over as promised: When I see the blood, I will pass over you (Ex. 12:13). This was because death had already taken place; the innocent had died in the place of the guilty. Christians are not only to recognize the Passover sacrifice by Christ, but also it is their own responsibility to keep the feast by living a sincere and godly life (12:13-14; I Cor. 5:6-8).

The old life and all that it meant in Egypt was gone. This month shall be unto you the beginning of months: it shall be the first month of the year to you (Ex. 12:2). The same is true for a believer today: Old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new (II Cor. 5:17). All that attracted our attention in the old life — the honors, the riches, the pleasures, the so-called attractions of life — are contrary to spiritual values and cannot bring eternal life. He that believeth not the Son shall not see life (John 3:36).

The lamb was a type of the Lord Jesus Christ, our Passover sacrificed for us: Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us: Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth (I Cor. 5:7-8).

Thought for Today:

"Are you washed in the blood, in the soul cleansing blood of the Lamb?"
Christ Revealed:

Through the sacrifice of lambs without blemish. Not one of the lambs' bones was to be broken (Ex. 12:5,46). We were redeemed with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot (I Pet. 1:19). It was foretold of Christ: He keepeth all His bones: not one of them is broken (Ps. 34:20; John 19:36).
Word Studies:

11:2 borrow, ask, accept; 12:9 sodden, boiled; purtenance thereof, inner organs of an animal; 12:11 loins girded, dressed for a journey; 13:2 Sanctify, Dedicate, Set apart; 13:12 matrix, womb; 13:18 harnessed, armed, equipped.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff • Clarence Rathbone • Government Officials: Secy. Gary F. Locke (Dept. of Commerce) and Atty. General Eric H. Holder (Dept. of Justice) • Country: Nicaragua (5 million) in Central America • Major languages: Spanish and English • Limited religious freedom • 95% Roman Catholic; 5% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Ask that the will of God be done in your life (Luke 22:42).
Optional Reading: Matthew 21

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Exodus 14 – 16
Highlights:

Miracle after miracle. The salvation of Israel preserved by manna and water — both are types of Christ, the Living Word (John 4:10-11; 7:37-39; I Cor. 10:3-4).
Is not this the word that we did tell thee in Egypt, saying, Let us alone, that we may serve the Egyptians? For it had been better for us to serve the Egyptians, than that we should die in the wilderness (Ex. 14:12).

The Israelites had journeyed only a short distance toward the promised land when they saw Pharaoh's army rushing toward them in a desperate effort to recover his slaves. Pharaoh, with six hundred chosen chariots, and all the chariots of Egypt . . . . pursued after the children of Israel . . . . and overtook them . . . . The children of Israel . . . were sore afraid: and . . . cried out unto the LORD. And they said unto Moses, Because there were no graves in Egypt, hast thou taken us away to die in the wilderness? (14:7-11). When the Israelites cried out unto the LORD, it was not in faith but in fear and bitter criticism of Moses.

The Israelites should have believed God and trusted in His loving care, for they had seen His miracles in Egypt that had set them free. However, when they faced what seemed to them impossible circumstances, they chose not to trust God but decided to let fear overwhelm their hearts. By contrast, Moses' faith was in Almighty God. Although he did not know how the Lord would save them, he confidently said: Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD. . . . The LORD shall fight for you. . . . And the LORD overthrew the Egyptians . . . . the waters returned, and covered the chariots . . . and all the host of Pharaoh (14:13-14, 27-28).

Although God had again saved them, just three days later they arrived at Marah to discover they could not drink the bitter water. And the people (again) murmured against Moses, saying, What shall we drink? (15:24). The Lord challenged them to have faith by saying: If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, and wilt do that which is right in His sight, and wilt give ear to (listen to and obey) His Commandments . . . I will put none of these diseases upon thee . . . for I am the LORD that healeth thee (15:26). God then led them to Elim, where (there) were twelve wells of water (15:27).

While things were going well, there was no apparent difference between the faith of Moses and that of the people. But, note that the same trial that revealed the Israelites' unbelief also revealed Moses' faith in the Word of God. The same is true today. The trials that we go through will reveal the depth of our faith. It is important to remember that we have been freed from Satan and the power of sin as typified by Pharaoh, a type of Satan, and Egypt, symbolic of the world.

For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will He withhold from them that walk uprightly (Ps. 84:11).

Thought for Today:

A "worldly Christian" has little, if any, influence.
Christ Revealed:

Through the bread (manna) from heaven (Ex. 16:4,15). Jesus said: I am the Living Bread which came down from heaven (John 6:51; also 6:32-48).
Word Studies:

14:8 with an high hand, triumphantly; 14:17 get me honour upon, assert my authority; 14:27 to his strength, to its normal depth; 15:14 Palestina, Philistia, land of the Philistines; 15:23 Marah, bitterness; 16:4 prove, test; 16:18 mete, measure.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcast • Lt. Col. & Mrs. Walter Swanson • Government Officials: Rep. Steve J. Chabot (OH) and Rep. Rick A. Crawford (AR) • Country: Niger (10 million) in west-central Africa • Major languages: French and Hausa • Christian evangelism is limited • 89% Muslim; 10% animist; .4% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Pray for a spirit of humility and submission before the Lord (John 3:30-31).
Optional Reading: Matthew 22

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Exodus 17 – 19
Highlights:

The Israelites are called a peculiar treasure (19:5). Murmuring and mercy. The nation sanctifies itself. A new covenant relationship with God.
And all the congregation of the children of Israel journeyed from the wilderness of Sin, after their journeys, according to the commandment of the LORD, and pitched in Rephidim: and there was no water for the people to drink (Ex. 17:1).

Israel had just experienced the journey to Marah where they could not drink the water because it was bitter. When the people began to criticize Moses saying: What shall we drink? (15:24), the Lord miraculously responded to Moses and the waters were made sweet (15:25).

In spite of the fact that God had brought them out of Egypt, destroyed Pharaoh's army, stopped the Red Sea and let them cross on dry land, the Israelites still had no faith in the providing power of God. He had demonstrated that He can do anything, yet the children of Israel continued to question His power to supply their daily needs.

Certainly it was a disappointment that there was no water to drink. But there is no record that even one Israelite died of thirst. The children of Israel had journeyed according to the commandment of the LORD, and pitched in Rephidim (17:1). The Lord knew there was no water for them to drink. This illustrates the fact that God always arranges to test and develop our faith. God desires to bring us to the place where we no longer rely upon material and human resources.

How sad, that just like the Israelites, we too often demonstrate a lack of trust in God. Sometimes it is not so easy to rely on what is not seen. Our faith begins to waver. We begin to look in other directions for our provisions. However, God is still ready to provide for our every need.

Often when we reach some particular difficulty or discouraging situation, we find it easy to blame ourselves or our Christian brethren. We must guard our heart so that we do not fall into a state of frustration. We might even find ourselves casting blame where it doesn't belong. Those who are led by the Lord must expect to encounter many unexpected situations that will test their faith in the faithfulness of God.

Family problems, job or emotional stress can all be issues in today's society to cause us to doubt God's provision. We must remember that God is God in the good times and the bad times. Remember, our Heavenly Father cares for the birds and the flowers. Are ye not much better than they? . . . But seek ye first the Kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:26, 33).It's easy to praise the Lord in the good times. The Christian's faith, however, is not based on favourable circumstances. Try praising Him for the blessing that's coming.

For it became Him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the Captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings (Heb. 2:10).

Thought for Today:

Trust the Word of God that he will supply all you need according to His riches (Phil. 4:19).
Christ Revealed:

As the Rock and the Water that came forth from it (Ex. 17:6). They drank of that spiritual Rock (Petras in Greek) that followed (accompanied) them: and that Rock was Christ (I Cor. 10:4; compare John 7:38).
Word Studies:

17:2 chide, find fault; 17:13 discomfited, defeated; 17:15 Jehovah-nissi, The Lord is my standard or banner; 19:5 peculiar treasure, special possession.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Joe Baca (CA), Rep. Bobby T. Schilling (IL), Sen. Thomas R. Carper (DE), and Sen. Frank R. Lautenberg (NJ) • Country: Nigeria (113.8 million) in western Africa • Major languages: English and Hausa • Government permits all types of religious activity • 45% Muslim (largely Sunni); 40% Christian; 9% Indigenous; 6% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Your prayers must be offered to God with the Spirit and understanding (John 4:22-24).
Optional Reading: Matthew 23

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Exodus 20 – 22
Highlights:

The Law! What we are and what we should be. I the LORD . . . shewing mercy unto . . . them that love Me, and keep My Commandments (20:5-6).
And God spake all these words, saying, I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage (Ex. 20:1-2).

The Ten Commandments were written with the finger of God on tablets of stone and given to mankind (31:18). Eight of the Ten Commandments are expressed negatively: Thou shalt not. Four of the commandments point to the absolute perfection of the Holy, One True Creator-God, who alone is to be worshiped and obeyed. Six of the commandments present standards for our relationship with others.

The Law reflects man's sinful nature and therefore his ability to have a direct relationship with the Holy God. Yet it reminds us that none of these relationships with God or man can be ignored. In an exclusive, covenant relationship, the Lord God must always have priority in our hearts and be our first consideration, without compromise. Consequently, His Commandments begin: God spake all these words, saying, Have no other gods before Me. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or likeness of any thing that is in Heaven . . . or . . . earth . . . I the LORD . . . am a jealous God . . . shewing mercy unto . . . them that love Me, and keep My Commandments. Thou shalt not take the Name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh His Name in vain. Remember the Sabbath Day, to keep it holy. . . . Honour thy father and thy mother. . . .Thou shalt not kill. . . . commit adultery. . . . steal. . . . bear false witness. . . . covet . . . any thing (20:1-17). Obedience to the Law was to be Israel's outward sign of having accepted God's Covenant and their willingness to live as a holy nation (19:6).

The Law calls for a sincere obedience from the heart. If I have love toward my neighbor, I will not steal his property or commit adultery with his wife. I will protect his loved ones because they are the property of God. True Christians seek to know more of God.

What peace it is to know that when we do fall short of keeping His Word: If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (I John 1:9).

Thought for Today:

A nation may remove the Ten Commandments from its buildings, but that doesn't make them any less Divine Law for mankind now.
Christ Revealed:

The perfection of Christ is revealed through the Ten Commandments, for He kept all of them (Ex. 20:1-17). He was perfect and without sin (Heb. 4:15). He also gave us a new Commandment . . . That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another (John 13:34).
Word Studies:

20:13 kill, murder; 21:14 come presumptuously upon, willfully attacks; 21:16 stealeth, kidnaps; 21:19 be quit, go unpunished; 21:22 her fruit depart from her, she miscarries; 21:29 were wont, has tried before; 22:2 breaking up, breaking in.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Pam Murton • Government Officials: Rep. Mike C. Thompson (CA), Rep. John Garamendi (CA), and Secy. Shaun L.S. Donovan (Dept. of HUD) • Country: North Korea (22.2 million) in northeastern Asia • Major language: Korean • Violent oppression against all religions • 68% atheist; 15% Ch'ondogyo; 14% Other Traditional; 2% Buddhist; 1% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Have faith in the Word of God (John 4:49-53).
Optional Reading: Matthew 24

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk