Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Genesis 13 – 15
Highlights:

The blessings increasing as Abram allows Lot to chose. Three covenant promises God makes to Abram — land, descendants, and blessing — are the foundation to bring salvation to all (Matt. 7:24,26; Luke 8:21; John 14:15).
After these things the word of the Lord came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward (Gen. 15:1).

God wanted Abram to know that He would protect him against all his enemies. It made no difference to God if His enemies were stronger or more numerous. Just as Christ promised to be Abram's shield. He promises to be the shield of His people against all their spiritual enemies, sin, Satan, and the world. Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked (Eph. 6:16). Notice it is called the Shield of Faith!

Throughout these three chapters we see how the Lord takes care of Abram. When Abram gave Lot his choice of the land to the left or the right, Abram put his trust in the Lord to care for him wherever he settled. When Abram and his army pursued Chedorlaomer's army because of Lot, he put his trust in the Lord. Abram rescued Lot and all the women and other captives even though the men of Sodom were wicked and sinners before the Lord exceedingly (Gen. 13:13), and even though Lot had chosen to pitch his tents toward Sodom. By doing this, Abram showed compassion and left the judgment to the Lord. Judge not, that ye be not judged . . . . and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again (Matt. 7:1-2).

The Lord told Abram that He (God) was his (Abram) exceeding great reward. Christians can hold onto this truth as well, in that God tells us to lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also (Matt. 6:20-21). Our hearts should be focused on God. Even when we find it hard to do the right thing, we have God's promise that He will care for us. And with this promise, we can have faith that doing the right thing is always the right choice.

Jesus suffered and died that we might live. That we might freely receive all that our Creator has for us. The Lord gave Abram a promise many generations before us. He (God) brought him (Abram) forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and He said unto him, So shall thy seed be (Gen. 15:5). You can know that you are counted in that number as a child of God and of Abraham (Abram).

God's word stands true and never falters. Heaven and earth shall pass away, but My Words shall not pass away (Matt 24:35).

Thought for Today:

Do we express God's worth by giving our tithes?
Christ Portrayed:

By the high priest, Melchizedek (Gen. 14:18-20; Heb. 4:15-16; 5:5-10; 7:1-4). Today Christ is our High Priest who is interceding in prayer for us and who alone is deserving of our gifts and service to Him.
Word Studies:

13:6 bear, support; 13:12 toward, near; 14:11 victuals, provisions, food; 14:13 confederate, allies; 14:17 dale, valley; 15:4 shall come forth out of thine own bowels, is your own flesh and blood.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Mr. and Mrs. E. Schatz Jr. • Government Officials: Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (NY) and Rep. Mark S. Critz (PA) • Country: Mali (10 million) in West Africa • Major languages: French and Bambara • Religious freedom despite Muslim majority • 81% Muslim; 17% animism and spirit worship; 2% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Pray the Lord of the harvest to send workers to harvest for Him (Matt. 9:38).
Optional Reading: Matthew 5

Memory Verse for the Week: Matthew 4:4

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Genesis 16 – 18
Highlights:

God promises Abram, at the age of 99, that Sarah shall have a son (17:16,19; 18:10). God's Covenant with Abram embraced circumcision. God changes Abram to Abraham, meaning father of a multitude (17:1-3).
And Sarai said unto Abram, Behold now, the Lord hath restrained me from bearing: I pray thee, go in unto my maid; it may be that I may obtain children by her (Gen. 16:2).

Abram and Sarai didn't trust that God was really going to give them the promised son. They thought they had better take things into their own hands. So they jumped ahead of God by getting Abram together with Hager, Sarai's servant. They learned that they should have waited.

We see in these chapters that God's timing may not be our timing and that God's plan is far better than our own. Be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day (II Peter 3:8). When Sarai took life into her own hands by giving her handmaid, Hager, to Abram in order to bear them children, strife came from it. Strife continues to this day with the bloodline of the child Ishmael. And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him; and he shall dwell in the presence of all his brethren (Gen. 16:12).

Taking matters into our own hands instead of waiting on the Lord is never a wise decision. Abram thought that God would establish His Covenant through Ishmael since he and Sarai were so old, but that was not God's plan. At times a situation may look like it is part of God's plan, but we must pray and wait for God's assurance that it is. Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding (Prov. 3:5).

As with Noah, God chose Abram, a righteous man, with whom to establish His Covenant. For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the Lord may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him (Gen. 18:19).

God loves us and wants us to raise our children to keep the way of the Lord. We need to do this in order that generations to come may be blessed instead of filled with wickedness as in the days of Cain and Noah. It is important that what God teaches us through His word and our lives should be taught to our children as well as to those who look up to us. Being a parent or a teacher is a responsibility not to be taken lightly. If we do not teach the ones God entrusts to us, someone else will. Jesus held children in high regard and so should we. Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto Me: for of such is the Kingdom of Heaven (Matt. 19:14).

Thought for Today:

God always supplies strength and grace to overcome trials (see I Pet. 1:7).
Christ Revealed:

As the Seed of Isaac (Gen. 17:19). Christ was a descendant of Isaac. Jesus . . . Which was the son of Jacob, which was the son of Isaac (Luke 3:23-34; Heb. 11:18).
Word Studies:

16:6 dealt hardly, treated harshly; 17:1 perfect, blameless, being faithful, having integrity; 18:7 dress it, prepare it; 18:12 waxed, grown; 18:28 Peradventure, Suppose.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Frank D. Lucas (OK) • Country: Malta (388,000) about 60 miles south of Sicily • Major languages: Maltese and English • Religious freedom • 97% Christian; 1.7% non-Religious/other; 1% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Pray for the Lord to give you the right words to share Christ with others (Matt. 10:18-20).
Optional Reading: Matthew 6

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 100:1-2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Genesis 19 – 21
Highlights:

Fire and brimstone destroy the sinners of Sodom and Gomorrah (19:24) as well as consume Lot's wealth. God not only blessed Sarah, but also Hagar and Ishmael.
And Abraham said of Sarah his wife, She is my sister . . . . But God came to Abimelech in a dream by night, and said to him, Behold, thou art but a dead man, for the woman which thou hast taken; for she is a man's wife. But Abimelech had not come near her: and he said, Lord, wilt thou slay also a righteous nation? (Gen. 20:2-4).

The focus of today's reading is upon a repeat of a situation that happened in the Scripture before. By faith, Abram left his homeland and journeyed to the new land of promise. Much to our surprise, when the father of the faithful was faced with famine, he forsook the land where God had told him to live and went to the well-watered land of Egypt (12:10). We are a little surprised by Abram's deception in telling the Egyptians that Sarai was his (half) sister, rather than say she was his wife, just so his life would be spared (12:12-17).

About a quarter of a century later, this event was repeated, when Abraham went to live with the Philistines in Gerar. And Abraham said of Sarah his wife, She is my sister: and Abimelech king of Gerar sent, and took Sarah (20:2).

It is difficult to understand why Abram would tell a "half truth" to protect himself after God had already told him: Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield (15:1).

Throughout the Scriptures, God reveals His mercy and patience. He tenderly and patiently leads us from sin and self-seeking and shows us that enjoyment of life is the result of integrity in all circumstances. This shows us that at times even the faith of the strongest believer can become weak. At times we will find our faith to be shaken because of worldly circumstances.

But, praise the Lord, God, who is merciful and long-suffering, is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think (Eph. 3:20). God in mercy once again strengthened Abraham to see himself as a powerful prophet who prayed for God to bless this heathen nation (20:7,17).

The most valuable lesson we can learn from these verses is to speak the truth. Lies and deception will only cause us to fall deeper into the pit of sin. Therefore, let us always tell the truth so we can totally avoid the sin of deception.

Howbeit when He, the Spirit of Truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth: for He shall not speak of Himself; but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall He speak: and He will shew you things to come (John 16:13).

Thought for Today:

We should be careful to make decisions based on the authority of the Word of God.
Christ Portrayed:

By Isaac, the promised son of the Covenant of God (Gen. 21:12). Faith in Christ sets us free from the bondage of the Law because God made a new Covenant through Christ (Matt. 26:28; Mark 14:24; Luke 22:20; I Cor. 11:25; also Heb. 12:24).
Word Studies:

19:3 pressed upon = urged them; 19:5 know, rape and abuse; 19:8 shadow, protection; 19:13 is waxen, has become; 20:6 suffered, allowed; 20:16 a covering of the eyes, compensation; 21:18 hold him in thine hand, take care of him.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Kevin Jennings • Government Officials: Rep. Loretta Sanchez (CA), Rep. Jeff D. Duncan (SC), Sen. Rand Paul (KY), and Sen. John Thune (SD) • Country: Mauritania (2.6 million) in western Africa • Major language: Hasaniya Arabic • Islamic state with no mission work allowed • 99+% Muslim (predominantly Sunni); .2% Christian (predominantly foreigners) • Prayer Suggestion: Unite with others in prayer; God will bring your request to pass (Matt. 18:19-20).
Optional Reading: Matthew 7

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Genesis 22 – 24
Highlights:

Miraculous, divine intervention because of obedience to God. Abraham does not hesitate to sacrifice Isaac.
But thou shalt go unto my country, and to my kindred, and take a wife unto my son Isaac. And the servant said unto him, Peradventure the woman will not be willing to follow me unto this land: must I needs bring thy son again unto the land from whence thou camest? And Abraham said unto him, Beware thou that thou bring not my son thither again (Gen. 24:4-6).

It is all important that the children of God's people should marry only in the Lord. Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? (II Cor. 6:14). Only in this way can we hope to perpetuate, as Malachi teaches, a godly seed. But those who live in fellowship with Him may confidently count on His angels being sent to help in securing this desirable issue. Every marriage should be a matter for profound concern and much prayer, both for the parents of each, as well as for those that are to be wed.

Abraham sent Eleazer, his most trusted servant, to his old homeland in Aram to choose a wife for Isaac from among his own people, with this comment: The LORD . . . He shall send His angel before thee, and thou shalt take a wife (Gen. 24:7).

Abraham expressed his absolute confidence in the ability of God to lead his servant in every detail to obtain a wife for his son. And Abraham said unto him, The Lord God of heaven, which took me from my father's house, and from the land of my kindred, and which spake unto me, and that sware unto me, saying, Unto thy seed will I give this land; He shall send His angel before thee, and thou shalt take a wife unto my son from thence (24:7). However, to Eleazar, this tremendous assignment of going to what would be a foreign land to find the exact wife for his master's son must have seemed an impossible task. The providential guidance of God led in such a significant way that it removed all possible doubt from Eleazar.

When faced with a problem, Christians should be aware of the unseen hand of God that orchestrates events and solves our problems. We should give glory to God by offering Him instant praise and thanksgiving for His guidance.

When our heart's desire is to please Him, God orders all the ways of our lives so that He may use us and we may offer Him the worship He desires and deserves. Christians should not hesitate to give Him all the credit and all the praise for everything, even life itself.

This is illustrated in the life of one leper who was healed by Jesus. Jesus had healed ten of them. However, only one returned. Are you like the one out of ten? And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God, And fell down on his face at His feet, giving Him thanks: and he was a Samaritan. And Jesus answering said, Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine? (Luke 17:15-17).

Thought for Today:

We are to walk by faith, not by sight (II Cor 5:7).
Christ Revealed:

Through Isaac's submission to his father and his willingness to be offered (Gen. 22:7-10). Jesus willingly offered His life. I lay down (give up) My life. . . . No man taketh it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself (John 10:11-18).
Word Studies:

22:1 tempt, test, prove; 22:3 clave, split; 22:12 fearest, do reverence, are unconditionally surrendered to; 22:14 Jehovah-jireh, the Lord will provide; 23:17 were made sure, were deeded; 24:60 seed possess the gate, descendants overcome and be victorious over.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Bible Pathway Printer: Ambrose Printing Staff, Nashville TN • Government Officials: Rep. Kevin W. Yoder (KS) and Rep. Charles F. Bass (NH) • Country: Mauritius (1 million) 500 miles east of Madagascar • Major languages: English and Creole • Limited religious freedom • 50% Hindu; 27% Roman Catholic; 17% Muslim; 5% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Remember, what is impossible with men is possible with God (Matt. 19:26).
Optional Reading: Matthew 8

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Genesis 25 – 27

Highlights:

Abraham dies. Isaac, Rebekah and their twin sons, Jacob and Esau. God reveals their weaknesses, failures, and blessings.
And Esau said, Behold, I am at the point to die: and what profit shall this birthright do to me? And Jacob said, Swear to me this day; and he sware unto him: and he sold his birthright unto Jacob. Then Jacob gave Esau bread and pottage of lentiles; and he did eat and drink, and rose up, and went his way: thus Esau despised his birthright (Gen. 25:32-34).

Isaac's marriage, like Abraham's, was a long time without children. The seed of the promise was to be prayed for from the Lord, that it might not be regarded merely as a fruit of nature. But Isaac received and recognized it as a gift of grace. When Rebekah conceived, the children struggled together in her womb. When she gave birth, there were twins; the firstborn was Esau and the second Jacob.

Esau revealed his lack of interest in spiritual things when he said: Behold, I am at the point to die: and what profit shall this birthright do to me? (25:32-34). Esau could not have been referring to being at the point of death because of missing one meal. If he were really starving, he could have easily asked either of his two Canaanite (Hittite) wives to prepare a meal for him. Obviously, he had no concern for the things of God. Later Scripture called him a profane (godless) person. Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright (Heb. 12:16).

The family birthright included, among other things, the sacred position of spiritual leadership of the family, to be the priest of the family and to stand between the Most High and the rest of the household. The priest of the family received divine communications and led the family to execute the divine will of God. He was to be heir to the covenant between God and Abraham and his descendants. The birthright was a link in the line of descent through which Messiah was to come (Num. 24:17-19).

Though much maligned by Esau and others, the fact is that Jacob purchased the Abrahamic covenant from Esau for what Esau thought it was worth. In sharp contrast with Esau, Jacob was a plain man, dwelling in tents (Gen. 25:27). The Hebrew word for plain is the same word translated in other Scripture as perfect, upright, undefiled; so the word plain refers to Jacob's character — Jacob was a man of God. God declares twice: Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated (Rom. 9:13; Mal. 1:2-3). And David records: The Lord hath chosen Jacob unto Himself, and Israel for His peculiar treasure (Ps. 135:4).

How many today are like Esau, choosing to gratify fleshly cravings, and disregard God's will in their lives until it is too late? Then they find fault with the people of God and blame their failure on someone else! When God calls his children to a task, He intends for it to be done according to His will. There may be opposition that comes strongly against you. But God is doing this through you. So be strong in the Lord and finish the work you are called to do. Being confident of this very thing, that He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ (Phil. 1:6).

Thought for Today:

It is not too late for us to impart godly spiritual values to our children or someone else's.
Christ Revealed:

As the spiritual Seed that would bless all the nations of the earth (Gen. 26:4). Now to Abraham and his Seed were the promises made. . . . as of one . . . which is Christ (Gal. 3:16).
Word Studies:

26:8 sporting with, caressing, expressing love; 26:14 great store, a great number; 26:21 Sitnah, enmity, anger; 26:31 betimes, early; 27:36 supplanted me, taken my place; 27:42 as touching thee, concerning you.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in honor of Joyce & Bruce Rutherford • Staff: Karen Hawkins • Government Official: Rep. Michael E. Capuano (MA) • Country: Mexico (99.7 million) in North America • Major language: Spanish • Religious freedom • 89% Catholic; 6% Protestant; 3.5% None; 1.5% Other (Orthodox, Muslim, Jewish, Baha'i) • Prayer Suggestion: Pray with great faith and the Lord will answer (Matt. 21:22).
Optional Reading: Matthew 9

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Genesis 28 – 30
Highlights:

Abrahamic Covenant is bestowed upon Jacob (28:3-4) and confirmed through a vision (28:11-13). He works seven years for the wrong wife!
And, behold, I am with thee, and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest, and will bring thee again into this land; for I will not leave thee, until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of (Gen. 28:15).

When Esau and Jacob were in Rebekah's womb, God, in His foreknowledge of their character, had prophesied to her: Two manner of people shall be separated from thy bowels; and the one people shall be stronger than the other people; and the elder shall serve the younger (25:23). Disregarding this revelation, Isaac made plans to confer the sacred blessing on his favorite son Esau.

When Isaac discovered that he had unintentionally bestowed the Abrahamic birthright blessing upon Jacob rather than upon Esau, he trembled. He realized that Almighty God had overruled his rebellious, carnal plans (27:33). Isaac then openly acknowledged that Jacob was the one God had chosen to receive the blessing and once again conferred on him the Abrahamic Covenant.

Jacob journeyed hundreds of miles on foot, fleeing from the murderous threat of his brother, traveling to a strange heathen land over paths he had never traveled, and facing an uncertain future. Little did he realize that he was being directed by God and would be the father of twelve tribes of Israel, making up a great and mighty nation that was foretold to Abraham.

Although it appeared that Esau would receive the family wealth, Jacob had something far more priceless — the birthright of God's promise: I am with thee (28:15). All that was included in the Abrahamic Covenant was now Jacob's inheritance (12:23;22:18;26:4). It not only included the promised land, but it meant that Jacob would be an ancestor of the promised Messiah. And He shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of His kingdom there shall be no end (Luke 1:33).

Jacob's life is an illustration of how God wonderfully uses and blesses His faithful servants — even though there are times when it seems they are being cheated out of the best opportunities of life. But God's promises will be fulfilled as He wills and when He wills. The deceptive efforts by an unbelieving world can never cheat a faithful Christian out of God's best. What difference does it make if a Christian is penniless? He shall soon possess priceless treasures. To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you, Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time (I Peter 1:4-5).

Thought for Today:

The Bible teaches us that a single day with the Lord is better than a thousand anywhere else (Ps.84:10).
Christ Portrayed:

By Joseph who was born (Gen. 30:23-24) in order to save and preserve his people (50:20). Jesus was born in order to offer salvation to all mankind. For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life (John 3:16).
Word Studies:

28:11 lighted upon, came to; 28:17 dreadful . . . place, awesome holy place; 28:19 Bethel, House of God; 29:25 beguiled, deceived; 29:31 hated, unloved, loved less; 30:37 pilled, peeled; strakes, stripes.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Beth Carlton • Government Officials: Rep. Lois Capps (CA), Rep. Leonard L. Boswell (IA), Rep. Chris Van Hollen Jr. (MD), Rep. Greg Walden (OR), Rep. Bill Shuster (PA), Sen. Mark L. Pryor (AR), and Sen. Roy D. Blunt (MO) • Country: Moldova (4.3 million) southeastern Europe • Major languages: Rumanian and Russian • Limited religious freedom • 66% Russian/Romanian Orthodox; 2.5% Catholic (Greek and Roman); 1.7% Protestant (mainly Baptist); 1.5% Jewish; .2% Muslim; 28.1% Agnostic/Atheist/Other • Prayer Suggestion: Continually watch and pray so that you won't yield to temptation in a moment of weakness (Matt. 26:41).
Optional Reading: Matthew 10

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Genesis 31 – 33
Highlights:

An exciting climax to the personal problems and struggles Jacob has encountered in his life and thus far overcome. Jacob fearful of Esau, who vowed to kill him, prayed all night.
I am the God of Bethel, where thou anointedst the pillar, and where thou vowedst a vow unto me: now arise, get thee out from this land, and return unto the land of thy kindred (Gen. 31:13).

God reminded Jacob of his earlier experience at the same hallowed place where he had received confidence that God would protect and direct him. Jacob had mixed emotions and fears concerning this call. His life had been filled with many disappointments and struggles. Now he was commanded to obey God and return to his native land where he knew that he must face his brother Esau, who did not fear God and who had angrily vowed to kill him.

Jacob had just escaped from the hatred of Laban and his sons. He was returning to his homeland when the messengers reached him, saying, We came to thy brother Esau, and also he cometh to meet thee, and four hundred men with him. Then Jacob was greatly afraid and distressed (32:6-7). Twenty years earlier, Esau had said: The days of mourning for my father are at hand; then will I slay my brother Jacob (27:41). Therefore, Jacob apparently faced certain death unless God miraculously intervened.

This was a victorious event in Jacob's life. He recognized his helplessness and was led to rely on the power and the mercy of God for deliverance. Thus he came to a new realization of the true source of his strength. Jacob prayed based on God and His word and His faithfulness in His past actions (32:9-12).

In desperation, Jacob wrestled an angel all night in prayer. An inner transformation of spirit resulted from this night of prayer. God said: Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed (32:28). Throughout the balance of Scriptures, whenever the name "Israel" is used, it is making reference to the spiritual man whom God richly blessed. Even to this day, the Jews are called by his spiritual name. But the Lord said unto him (Ananias), Go thy way: for he (Saul) is a chosen vessel unto Me, to bear My name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel (Acts 9:15).

Christians do not always reflect inner transformation in their outward behavior, but those who love Christ should always pray, as Jacob did, to have their inner spirit expressed in godly behavior. For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God (Romans 8:13-14).

Thought for Today:

Sometimes the strength of our flesh requires extraordinary measures in order to crucify it (Gal. 5:24).
Christ Revealed:

As the Angel (Messenger) of God who guides (Gen. 31:11-13). The Angel speaks not merely in the Name of God but as God, leaving no doubt that He is the Lord Jesus in His preincarnate state. I and My Father are One (John 10:30).
Word Studies:

31:1 glory, wealth; 31:19 images, family idols; 31:30 sore longedst after, greatly longed to return home; 31:36 chode, argued; 32:2 host, army encampment; 32:16 drove, herd; 32:25 hollow, hip socket; 32:28 hast prevailed, have overcame; 32:31 halted, limped; 33:2 hindermost, last; 33:14 softly, slowly; 33:17 booths, temporary shelters (tabernacles) (Lev. 23:42-43).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Carl Miller • Staff: Rick Hash • Government Official: Rep. Michael R. Turner (OH) • Country: Monaco (32,000) in southeastern France • Major languages: French and English • No open evangelism permitted • 90% Roman Catholic; 7% Protestant; 1% Eastern Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Pray in faith and the Lord will answer (Mark 11:24).
Optional Reading: Matthew 11

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Genesis 34 – 36
Highlights:

Abraham remains faithful to God? In contrast many of his descendants degenerate into gross immorality. Warning to us as we read how even Jacob's household had strange (popular, false) gods.
And God said unto Jacob, Arise, go up to Bethel, and dwell there: and make there an alter unto God, that appeared unto thee when thou fleddest from the face of Esau thy brother (Gen. 35:1).

Jacob's prayer was answered and Esau welcomed his return after twenty years. Following Esau's departure, Jacob continued on toward Bethel since the Lord had said: I am the God of Bethel . . . return unto the land of thy kindred (31:13). But, just a short distance from Bethel, Jacob discovered the beautiful valleys and opportunities for financial gain at Succoth, and built him an house (33:17). He then came to Shalem . . . and pitched his tent (33:18) on the border of the promised land. It appears that he expected God to bless his "almost complete obedience" when he erected an altar there (33:20) and settled his family.

For ten years Jacob's stay seemed to be successful. Then we read the tragedy of his daughter Dinah. When the prince of the country, saw her, he took her, and lay with her, and defiled her (34:2). After their sister's rape, Dinah's brothers Simeon and Levi retaliated with murder and their brothers looted homes and destroyed property, violently taking out their revenge upon the inhabitants of the city.

Oh, how often children suffer eternal consequences because of their parents' poor example, bad decisions or disobedience. Parents are entrusted to train up a child in the way he should go (Prov. 22:6). Proper training can be accomplished only by teaching them about Jesus and teaching them to read and obey the Word of God. When parents become too involved with achieving material goals, they often neglect spiritual responsibilities to their children during their teachable years. This leaves the door open for worldly pursuits to gain control of their hearts. That often leads to a series of far-reaching, long term consequences.

Often, as we increase materially, we decrease spiritually,and it is not until we are faced with a crisis that the Lord is able to get our attention. No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon (Matt. 6:24).

We can learn from the way Jacob handled tragedies in that he didn't give up when his situation looked hopeless. Instead, he turned to the Lord (Gen. 35:1).

When we fail, we too, need to be reminded of how we began our walk with the Lord, trusting Him for help, strength, and guidance. But, too often as time passes and God continues to bless us, we lose the sense of urgency or the same simple dependence upon God that we had in the beginning.

Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen (Matt. 6:11-13).

Thought for Today:

We seldom realize the far-reaching effects of our disobedience.
Christ Revealed:

As God Almighty, El Shaddai, the All-Sufficient One (Gen. 35:11). Jesus is the Lord . . . which is . . . the Almighty (Rev. 1:8).
Word Studies:

34:2 defiled, raped; 34:3 clave, clung to, was passionately attracted to; 34:7 wrought folly, brought disgrace; 34:27 spoiled, plundered; 34:30 troubled, made trouble for; 35:11 come out of thy loins, be among your descendants.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (TX) • Country: Mongolia (2.4 million) in east-central Asia • Major language: Khalkha Mongol • As a 70-year era of communism wanes, Bibles are now on sale in the capital, Ulaanbaatar • 95.5% Tibetan Buddhist; 4% Muslim; .3% Christian; .2% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Rejoice that our Savior was born (Luke 2:11).
Optional Reading: Matthew 12

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Genesis 37 – 39
Highlights:

Joseph foreshadows Jesus. Both are especially loved by their fathers; hated by their brethren; rejected as rulers over their brethren; conspired against; sold for silver; condemned though innocent; and raised from humiliation to glory.
Now Israel loved Joseph more than all his children, because he was the son of his old age: and he made him a coat of many colours (Gen. 37:3).

Joseph was deeply troubled about his older brothers' evil conduct while away from home, and he shared this concern with his father. As if to confirm the reports that Joseph brought to his father about the conduct of his brothers, the thirty-eighth chapter abruptly breaks into an account of another brother. It introduces the shameful behavior of Judah. Perhaps, Joseph's concern for his brothers' spiritual well-being, in addition to the fact that Joseph was the son of his old age (37:3), influenced Jacob to love Joseph more than all his children.

Now, as then, some people discourage the exposing of wrongdoing, while others say they do not want to become involved. But Joseph possessed deep spiritual integrity and was willing to face abuse from his brothers for exposing their evil ways (37:2-4). Their envy and hatred only increased when Joseph shared his prophetic dreams with them, revealing that God had a special position of leadership for him (37:4-8).

There can be little doubt Joseph's brothers perceived that his dreams were prophetic. Otherwise, they would have disregarded them as just nonsense or youthful visions.

After his brothers sold him as a slave, Joseph was sold again in Egypt. Then he was cast into prison, not for breaking the law, but for once again maintaining his high moral integrity. As a homesick prisoner, Joseph remained locked up for many years. During that time his feet were injured by the cruel treatment he received there.

Without a doubt, his faith was tested. Although innocent, he suffered as one who was a guilty criminal, having to bear shame and physical cruelty. God always tests our loyalty to Him by bringing circumstances into our lives that we may not understand or that may seem unfair and undeserved. But this is His means of testing our attitude; of perfecting our patience as well as our faith in Him.

How amazing to realize God has a role for each of us to play in order to enhance His Kingdom. His plan was to use Joseph to save His chosen people from extinction. While in prison Joseph learned the ways of the Egyptians, and when the time came, was able to run the nation.

Although we tend to seek the ways of comfort and ease, the Christian life as foreshadowed by Joseph's ordeal proves Peter's words to the Church.

He sent a man before them, even Joseph, who was sold for a servant: Whose feet they hurt with fetters: he was laid in iron: (Ps. 105:17-18).

Thought for Today:

The Bible teaches us that we should not be ashamed if we suffer for doing the right thing (I Pet. 4:16).
Christ Portrayed:

By Joseph, who was rejected by his own brothers, sold for 20 pieces of silver to Gentiles, and unjustly imprisoned, but who eventually became their savior and a world ruler (Gen. 37:28; 41:39-40). Jesus came unto His own (people), and His own received Him not (John 1:11). He was sold for 30 pieces of silver, imprisoned, and crucified; and He became our Savior who soon will return to rule the world (Rev. 19:11-16; 22:3).
Word Studies:

37:9 made obeisance to, bowed or prostrated before; 37:22 rid, rescue; 38:2 took, married; 38:18 signet, ring of authority; 38:28 travailed, gave birth; 39:8 wotteth not, does not know.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Rita Guerra • International Broadcast: In honor of Max Goman's baptism • Country: Morocco (28.2 million) on the northwestern coast of Africa • Major languages: Arabic and French • Government very hostile to Christians and missions • 99.75% Muslim (mostly Sunni); .25% Christian (including foreigners); small numbers of Jews and Baha'i • Prayer Suggestion: Pray for (not against) your enemies (Luke 6:28).
Optional Reading: Matthew 13

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 100:3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Genesis 40 – 42
Highlights:

Joseph's dramatic rise to second ruler of Egypt. His brothers, willingly bow down to him, fulfilling the vision. What will Joseph do to those who betrayed him?
And there was there with us a young man, an Hebrew, servant to the captain of the guard; and we told him, and he interpreted to us our dreams; to each man according to his dream he did interpret (Gen. 41:12).

From foreign slave to service as the Egyptian king's prime minister is the story of Joseph's life. There were many years of cruel suffering before he became the savior of his people. It appears that he suffered three betrayals. First, the hatred and jealousy of his brothers; next, the perverted passions of Potiphar's wife; and also, the ingratitude of the chief butler. But regardless of his many adverse circumstances and disappointments, Joseph, confidently told Pharaoh that God ruled over the affairs of earth. Although from all outward appearances, the events which took place in Joseph's life would seem to contradict that fact. Two years earlier, two of Pharaoh's officers were in prison and depressed over their dreams (41:11). Even in that situation, Joseph pointed out how God ruled by asking: Do not interpretations belong to God? (40:8). When he was telling them about his own circumstances, he did not blame his brothers for his situation. He simply stated: I was stolen away out of the land of the Hebrews (40:15). In every crisis, Joseph acknowledged that God was with him.

God is in control of the affairs of our lives. However, even when we remain faithful to Him, it may appear that God either does not care about us or will not do anything about our circumstances. The life of Joseph points out that the enemies of God cannot defeat the person whose supreme desire is to be obedient to Him, regardless of adverse situations. God has amazing ways of developing our talents, maturing us spiritually, and honoring all who remain faithful to Him. Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love Him (James 1:12).

There are no shortcuts to spiritual maturity or to preparation for being used by the Lord. The discipline of hardship is necessary to develop spiritual strength, but it is never one hour longer than needed to develop His plan for our lives.

This is thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully. For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God. For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow His steps (I Peter 2:19-21).

Thought for Today:

God always has a higher purpose for our lives that he is developing.
Christ Revealed:

By the wisdom of Joseph (Gen. 41:39). Christ; In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge (Col. 2:2-3).
Word Studies:

40:3 in ward, in custody; 41:2 kine, cows; 41:56 waxed sore, became severe; 42:7 strange, as a stranger; 42:9 nakedness of the land, weak points of our defense; 42:27 espied, saw; 42:34 traffick, do business; 42:38 mischief, harm.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff • Becca Luccio • Government Officials: Gov. Beverly Perdue (NC) and Rep. Michael T. McCaul (TX) • Country: Mozambique (19 million) on the eastern coast of Africa • Major language: Portuguese • Religious freedom • 40% worship of false gods, ancestral spirits, and some witchcraft; 23% Roman Catholic; 14% Protestant; 13% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Seek the Lord's teaching; grow and mature in your prayer life (Luke 11:1).
Optional Reading: Matthew 14

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 100:3

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk