Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read James 1 – 5
Highlights:

Christians to rejoice in trials and temptations; hearing and heeding the Word; dangers of the tongue; praying for one another.
Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath (James 1:19).

When James wrote let every man be swift to hear . . . and receive with meekness the engrafted Word (1:19-21), he meant receive with meekness Christ and His Word. They are the same. (John 1:1,14). Christ is manifest in His Word and it has the same authority. Who being the brightness of His glory, and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the Word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high (Heb. 1:3). The Word of God is God speaking directly to us. Sometimes because of outside influences and all the voices in the world we forget this. When we read God's Word, it is just as if God came down and sat beside us to offer help in making our life decisions according to His will.

One great hindrance to hearing the Voice of God in His Word is being preoccupied with our own thoughts. Therefore James cautions: Let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak (James 1:19). How often someone is talking to us and we are so taken up with our thoughts that we don't hear or consider what they say since we can't wait to say what we want to say. For all practical purposes, we have tuned them out. When we read God's Word are we swift to hear Him, or do we insult Him in a similar way? It is important to remember all the great things man has accomplished through following God's will. If we belong to Him, His voice is clear. And when He putteth forth His own sheep, He goeth before them, and the sheep follow Him: for they know His voice (John 10:4).

As Christians, it is of utmost importance that we listen to what God is saying to us as we read the Bible, for it is through His Word that we learn how to pray. It is through His Word that our faith is built to trust Him to answer our prayers. His Word shows us a multitude of examples of prayer working. All of us are afflicted with the distresses, burdens, and problems of life. Every affliction we face presents the opportunity, as well as the responsibility, to pray and trust God for the solution. He alone has the answers. Why do we look for help in so many places? God is only a prayer away.

Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms . . . . Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much (James 5:13,16).

Thought for the Day: It is God who gives us both the desire to pray and the answer to our prayers.

Cross References:

For James 2:8: See Lev. 19:18. James 2:11: See Ex. 20:13-14. James 2:23: See Gen. 15:6. James 4:6: See Prov. 3:34.
Word Studies:

1:27 visit, care for, look after the needs of; 2:11 kill, murder; 3:2 we offend all, we all make mistakes and offend others; 3:4 listeth, determines; 5:3 cankered, tarnished; 5:11 pitiful, full of compassion.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Gov. Pat Quinn (IL), Rep. Norman Dicks (WA), and Rep. Bill Young (FL) • Country: Jordan (5 million) in southwestern Asia • Major languages: Arabic and English • Religious tolerance • 93% Muslim; 5% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Examine yourself. Has prosperity dulled your willingness to sacrifice (Hag. 1:4)?
Memory Verse for the Week: Luke 1:50

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Peter 1 – 2
Highlights:

Call to Christian dedication; proper use of liberty in Christ; the example of Christ's suffering.
But if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God. For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow His steps (I Pet. 2:20-21).

Frequently we find ourselves in circumstances beyond our ability to find a solution, and often (intuituvely), we begin to inquire of God as to HOW He will help us. HOW is He going to lead us through this valley or over this mountain?

Sometimes we are confident that God will provide in a certain way or through a particular person. On other occasions we do not see HOW the Almighty can undertake the needs that face us. Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations: That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ (1:5-7).

Our fears are turned to faith when we exchange the word HOW for the word WHO. Our assurance comes in knowing WHO hears and answers prayers. If we know God as He really is, we find that we can depend wholly upon Him and, therefore, it need not concern us HOW He will come to our aide. We have the assurance that He will. God has never failed to follow through with His Word. The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance (II Pet. 3:9).

God has a thousand ways of helping His own which are beyond our imagination or understanding. He is not limited to our thoughts and ways, and we should fear limiting the Creator. The Word of God paints a clear picture of the faithfulness of God. Know therefore that the LORD thy God, He is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love Him and keep His Commandments to a thousand generations (Deut. 7:9). As we read and study the Word of God, we increase our faith and grow in Christ. The Word teaches us about the nature of God and His character and helps us become the people God wants us to be.

Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ (I Pet. 2:5).

Thought for the Day: My grace is sufficient becomes a reality in times of trials.

Cross References:

For I Pet. 1:16: See Lev. 11:44-45. I Pet. 1:24-25: See Is. 40:6-8. I Pet. 2:6-7: See Is. 28:16; Ps. 118:22. I Pet. 2:22: See Is. 53:9. I Pet. 2:24-25: See Is. 53:4-6,12.
Word Studies:

1:17 sojourning, temporarily residing; 2:2 sincere, perfect, pure, without a mixture; 2:4 disallowed, rejected; 2:19 thankworthy, acceptable, something for which we should give thanks.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Karen Hawkins • Country: Kazakhstan (15.4 million) central Asia • Major languages: Kazakh and Russian • Religious tolerance • 47% Muslim (largely Sunni); 25% Russian Orthodox; 2% Lutheran; 2% Catholic; 2.3% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Glory in the Lord. He is Victor over Satan (Zech. 3:2).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Peter 3 – 5
Highlights:

Duty of husbands and wives; suffering and reward: duty of elders.
Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time (I Pet. 5:6).

The danger of defecting in the face of suffering can hardly be overlooked since suffering is directly referred to in this letter sixteen times (1:11; 2:19-21; 3:14,17-18; 4:1(twice), 13,15,16,19; 5:1,10), as well as indirectly (1:6-7; 4:12-14). The Apostle Peter, author of this letter, could well recall his Lord's loving reminder: But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren (Luke 22:32). This was a call to Peter for the future. When Christ spoke to Peter he was mature in his faith. There were many things he would learn. Some of these lessons would come easy and some would be hard. As Christ said concerning Peter, he needed to be converted.

When thou art converted. Before Pentecost, Peter was far from being a spiritual rock; he was a shifting compound of human loyalty to Christ and self-interest. "Not the Cross!" had been his advice to his Lord (Matt. 16:22). As Jesus went toward that cross of suffering, in obedience to His Father's will, He did so without Peter's encouragement. Peter's way of thinking would greatly change in the future. He was looking at the world through eyes of flesh. However, not long after this, his spiritual eyes would begin to open. He would begin to see the world as Christ knew he would when he charged Peter with those commands. Praise God that when He looks at each of us He sees the potential for what we can be. He does not just see who we are now. He looks deeper into the heart of each of us.

Through the years, Peter endured much suffering, many beatings, and faced execution at Herod's court (Acts 12:1-3). He then wrote to encourage and strengthen his dear brethren of Asia by reminding them: If ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled . . . . Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin (I Pet. 3:14; 4:1).

Peter knew from experience that witnessing for Christ would bring persecution and that they would be tempted to become silent and secret disciples. This subtle form of denying our Lord tempts God's people in every age. Peter had been there himself. However, the Holy Spirit and the Word of God have been his teachers.

Jesus warns us about whom to fear: Fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear Him (God) which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell (Matt. 10:28).

Thought for the Day: The words that come from our mouth reveal what is really in our heart.

Cross References:

For I Pet. 3:10-12: See Ps. 34:12-16. I Pet. 5:5: See Prov. 3:34.
Word Studies:

3:11 eschew, turn away from; ensue, earnestly pursue; 3:20 were saved by water, were saved from the water by entering the ark (that illustrates Christ); 4:15 busybody, one who interferes in other people's affairs that do not concern him.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: sponsored by Lt. Col. Walter and Penny Swanson • Staff: Tifany Edwards • Government Official: Rep. Bill Posey (FL) • Country: Kenya (29 million) in eastern Africa • Major languages, English and Swahili • Religious freedom 46% Protestant, 27% Roman Catholic, 17% belief in mystical powers; 6% Muslim; 3% Eastern Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Call upon the Lord, for He promises to answer you (Zech. 13:9).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Peter 1 – 3
Highlights:

God's manifold graces; false teachers; the certainty of Christ's coming.
Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world though lust. And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge (II Pet. 1:4-5).

This second letter begins with one significant thought. God hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him that hath called us to glory and virtue (1:3). When we read His Word with a desire to please the Lord (Christ, who is the Living Word), our inner life is strengthened. God has made full provision for every Christian to live a victorious Christian life. His Holy Spirit enables us to overcome temptation, suffering, failure, sin and even success or pride as we follow His will. The Holy Spirit will lead, guide and direct the life of the believer if we will simply heed His Word. He will enable us to get through anything that the world and our enemy the devil can throw at us. He will open the Word of God to us in a way that we can become followers of the Word and not just readers. But be ye doers of the Word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves (James 1:22). This will enable the Word of God to become part of us. It will build our character and draw us closer to God.

The day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation (conduct)? (II Pet. 3:10-11). The word conversation means more than just one's speech. It includes one's manner of life and character. A holy conversation means our daily life transformed by the Holy Spirit to reflect His life though us. Our union with Christ takes place at the moment of conversion.

We are similar to Peter in many ways. He had a rough start. He was often found losing his temper. He even denied knowing Christ. However, when he truly surrendered to God, his life was transformed. On the Day of Pentecost, Peter stood as a confident preacher of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. He went on to win thousands of souls for the kingdom of God. Never let yourself doubt what God can accomplish using just one obedient servant. Hold fast to all that God promises in His Word. He will do something great with your life too.

Peter's key thought is that a life of godliness is made possible by taking to ourselves and applying God's great and precious promises in our life. Give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall (II Pet. 1:10).

Thought for the Day: Our conscience is the "window of the soul." It must be kept clean by the "Water or the Word."

Cross Reference:

For II Pet. 2:15: See Num. 22:5,7. II Pet. 2:22: See Prov. 26:11.
Word Studies:

2.7 vexed, distressed; filthy conversation, immoral conduct; 3:16 wrest, distort.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Ben Wallace • Government Officials: Rep. Adrian Smith (NE) and Sen. Rob Portman (OH) • Country: Kirabati (86,000) 3 islands in southwestern Pacific • Major languages: English and Gilbutese • Religious freedom • 52% Roman Catholic; 44% Protestant; 2% Baha'i • Prayer Suggestion: Can you say you are ready for the Lord's coming (Mal. 3:2)?

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I John 1 – 3
Highlights:

Tests of fellowship with God; reality and remedy of sin; danger of antichrists; loving one another.
But whoso keepeth His Word, in him verily is the love of God perfected (I John 2:5).

God is love (4:8,16). One of the greatest needs of mankind is to be loved. We all need love. We need to know that we are important to somebody, that somebody truly cares about us. The Good News from God's Word is that somebody does.

Twice the Apostle John catagorically stated that God is love (4:16). God's love is His nature. It is not merely an emotional attitude which He projects. It is the essence of His being. He is always going to act toward us in love because He cannot do otherwise. Love is the way He is. The anointing which ye have received of Him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is Truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him (2:27). The Bible is the only means through which the anointing teacheth you of all things.

The Lord warns: Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him (I John 2:15). We are called to the Lord and His Word, that is both the written Word and the living Word which is Jesus. We must turn our backs to worldly things. The Lord must become first in our lives. If we love or prioritize anything ahead of Him in our lives, we are out of line with the will of God.

There are some who say they have a relationship with Christ even though they still walk in darkness. God directed John to write that they lie (deceive themselves). Many live this way throughout their life. They lie to themselves about many things. However, lying to yourself about your relationship with Christ Jesus has eternal ramifications. We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death. Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him (3:14-15).

A jealous disposition, a secret spirit of envy, or a tendency to speak of the faults and failings of others rather than of their virtues are also characteristics of darkness and death. Others walk in darkness with a spirit of discouragement and self-pity and a determination to convey that spirit to everyone who will listen. Let God's Word illuminate your life. It will reveal anything that might cause our lives to be operating out of God's will.

Let us be like King David who prayed with a sincere desire: Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting (Ps. 139:23-24).

Thought for the Day: Our love for the Lord is perfected by obeying His Word.

Cross References:

For I John 1:8: See Eccl. 7:20. I John 3:12: See Gen. 4:8.
Word Studies:

2:3 keep, guard with our lives and obey; 2:20 unction, anointing of the Holy Spirit. This is how we can know all things (2:20); 3:9 His Seed, Jesus, the Word of God (Gal. 3:16; John 1:1-14; Luke 8:11).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: sponsored by Thursday Morning Prayer • Staff: Danny Murton • Country: Kuwait (2 million) in the northeastern corner of the Arabian Peninsula • Major languages: Arabic and English • Some religious freedom • 95% Muslim; 4% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Pray that God will move His people to give faithfully to His work (Mal. 3:8-10).
:angel: :angel:

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I John 4 – 5

Highlights:

How to try the spirits; the witnesses of our faith; asking and receiving.
Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as He is, so are we in this world (I John 4:17).

The believer who really takes Christ as his Guide will do as Jesus said. Love one another; as I have loved you . . . . By this shall all men know that ye are My disciples, if ye have love one to another (John 13:34-35). Loving others identifies us with Christ. Many ask the question: How am I to show the world that I am a believer? The answer is by letting the world see the love of Christ manifested in your life.

Scripture does not merely say that God loves us but that the love of God is hindered if we are unwilling to love everyone. If God so loved us, we ought also to love one another (I John 4:11). We ought (are obligated) also to love one another, regardless of what they "may" have done to us. This is not the easiest thing to do at times. However, it is a great necessity for us to forgive others if we ourselves are to be forgiven. Think about it this way, Jesus forgave all the wrong we have ever done or will ever do in our lives. We need to be just as willing to forgive.

The subject in the twenty-one verses of this 4th chapter is of our responsibility as stewards of God's love. It is mentioned more than twenty-five times. In all of life could there be a more vital subject for our consideration? Is there anything more important in this world than showing the love of Christ to the lost and dying? The theme of the New Testament is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. What is this gospel? The Gospel simplified is that we are loved so much by God that heaven gave up it's greatest treasure to provide our liberty from sin, death and hell. That great treasure of course was Jesus who laid down his life. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me (Gal. 2:20).

It is of utmost importance that we realize the consequences of an unforgiving attitude toward anyone. Jesus taught that our eternal destiny depends upon it. He tells us in the parable of the unforgiving servant (Matt. 18:21-35).

In fact we are to: Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you (Matt. 5:44).

If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar, for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? (I John 4:20).

Thought for the Day: The very nature of love is to give up and forget self for the sake of others.

Word Studies:

5:18 he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, he that is saved will not become involved in sinful activities.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Zoe Lofgren (CA) • Country: Kyrgyzstan (4.7 million) eastern central Asia • Major languages: Kirghiz and Russian • Religious freedom • 75% Muslim; 20% Russian Orthodox; 5% Other (Jewish, Buddhist, Catholic, Protestant) • Prayer Suggestion: Confess wrongs you have committed to the Lord and to those whom you have hurt; ask for forgiveness (Matt. 5:23-24).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II John 1 – Jude 1
Highlights:

The commandment of love; warning against deceivers; rebuke Diotrephes; judgment of false teachers.
Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints (Jude 1:3).

Jude is the only book in all of God's Word which is entirely devoted to the apostasy that will gradually draw Christians away from our Lord before His return. It should be the desire of every believer to faithfully follow Jude's exhortation to actively contend for (firmly defend) the faith which was once delivered unto the saints; the Message of salvation. There are so many things that would contend to draw us away from the faith. We must be steadfast in our stand for God. As these opposing spiritual forces come against believers, we must look to God for our help and preservation. So shall they fear the name of the LORD from the west, and His glory from the rising of the sun. When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him (Is. 59:19).

To earnestly contend for the faith implies not only the necessity of believing that all Scripture is given by inspiration of God but also that it alone is the final Word on all doctrine of the Church (II Tim. 3:16). The Holy Spirit led Jude to write: It was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort (urge) you . . . For there are certain men crept in unawares . . . ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ . . . . Woe unto them! (Jude 1:3-4,11).

Jude warns that such deceivers will be judged. Even as Sodom and Gomorrha . . . are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire . . . . these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities . . . . they corrupt themselves. Woe unto them! (1:7-8,10-11). They have done the ultimate evil. They have led souls away from Christ. They have turned them from the way of eternal life to the way of eternal damnation.

The Word of God is a living book. Its Words can be life changing. It is what we do with them that makes a difference. Some will read the Bible as they read any other book. They never give a thought to letting the Bible work in their lives. Praise the Lord, there are many others that will let these living Words come off those pages into their hearts to change their lives forever.

Now unto Him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless . . . To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever (forever). Amen (Jude 1:24-25).

Thought for the Day: Confess your sins today and you can stand before God — forgiven and unashamed.

Cross References:

For Jude 1:5: See Num. 14:28-35. Jude 1:7: See Gen. 19:24. Jude 1:11: See Gen. 4:3-8; Num. 16:1-3,31-35; 31:8-16. Jude 1:23: See Zech. 3:2.
Word Studies:

III John 1:10 prating against, falsely accusing; Jude 1:4 turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, perverting the grace of God to permit immodesty, immorality, lustfulness.
Prayer for Country: Laos (5 million) in Southeast Asia • Major languages: Lao and French • Great suppression of all Christian activities • 58% Buddhist; 33% belief in spirits and ancestor worship; 2% Christian; 1% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Pray for those who have hurt you (Matt. 5:44).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Revelation 1 – 2
Highlights:

Revelation of Jesus Christ; greetings to the seven churches; a vision of the Son of man; His message to the churches.
I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) . . . be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life (Rev. 2:9-10).

The Book of Revelation is the only Book of the Bible specifically promising a blessing for all who read it: Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein (1:3). The seven churches of Asia Minor each received a letter dictated by Christ and recorded by John while he was a prisoner on the island of Patmos. Since the character and conduct of these churches and Christians are similar in every generation, the messages are just as vital and valid for us today. Many have even theorized that these churches were not only seven literal churches, but also represented seven church ages and represented each type of church today. Not regarding the church age theory, it could easily be said that most of the churches of today could fit the description of one of these churches.

Words of praise were given to the church at Ephesus for its sound doctrine. However, Christ said: Thou hast left thy first love (2:4). Losing one's devotion to Christ usually happens gradually. We become so involved in business and leisure activities which crowd out spending time with the Lord in His Word. Even church responsibilities can keep us so preoccupied that the worship of Christ becomes mechanical and a mere formality. It can happen to any of us if we don't stay in the Word of God and in prayer. The enemy will try to overcome us with complacency. This charge is most serious: Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent . . . or else I will come . . . and will remove thy Candlestick . . . except thou repent (2:5).

The Christians at Smyrna faced great tribulation. Jesus observed their suffering. It might have been easy at times for the trials and tribulations to knock them down. They stood through it all and came out because they relied on the strength of the Lord.

The letter Jesus sent to Pergamos reminded them that they lived where Satan's seat is. But holdest fast (remain true to) My Name (2:13). But, some hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel (2:14). Sometimes we are blind to what the devil is doing. If we are not careful, we will end up like the people here at Pergamos. We can find ourselves ensnared in some false doctrine. We must be aware of our surroundings. The Bible teaches us to be watchful. This will prevent us from being overtaken by the enemy.

Jesus warned: Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the Sword of My Mouth (2:16).

Thought for the Day: Our present burdens may seem heavy, but our loving Lord gives the strength to bear them.

Cross References:

For Rev. 1:5: See Ps. 89:27. Rev. 1:6: See Ex. 19:6. Rev. 1:7: See Dan. 7:13; Zech. 12:10. Rev. 2:7: See Gen. 2:9. Rev. 2:23: See Jer. 17:10. Rev. 2:27: See Ps. 2:9.
Word Studies:

1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, I am the First of all things, and the End of all things, and know all things A to Z; 1:13 girt, wrapped around; paps, chest. The clothing of Christ designates Him as Judge as well as a Priest; 2:9 art rich, are abounding in faith; 2:19 charity, love; 2:23 reins, minds, innermost thoughts.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Michael Burgess (TX), Rep. David Loebsack (IA), and Rep. Jeff Landry (LA) • Country: Latvia (2.48 million) eastern coast of Baltic Sea in northeastern Europe • Major languages: Latvian and Russian • Religious freedom • 20% Protestant (mainly Lutheran); 20% Roman Catholic; 15% Orthodox; .9% Jewish; .4% Muslim; 43.7% Atheist/Agnostics/Other • Prayer Suggestion: Pray in secret before God, not seeking human praise (Matt. 6:6).
Memory Verse for the Week: Luke 2:11

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Revelation 3 – 5
Highlights:

His message to churches at Sardis and Philadelphia; rebuke of the church of Laodicea; the sealed book; the Lion and the Lamb.
And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith He that is holy, He that is true, He that hath the key of David, He that openeth, and no man shutteth, and shutteth and no man openeth; I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept My Word, and has not denied My name (Rev. 3:7-8).

The Church in Sardis could boast that there were no false doctrines being taught; but there was an equally serious sin. Unto . . . the Church in Sardis write . . . I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead. Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die . . . . repent (3:1-3). Many churches fall into this category. They have a reputation for being alive and vibrant. However, the truth is far from that. I would like to give a message to pastors, deacons and other church members. Full pews every Sunday is not a sure sign of a healthy church.

The Church in Philadelphia probably seemed weak and insignificant as far as the world was concerned; their numbers were small and they had only a little strength (3:8). But notice! That small group of Christians in Philadelphia was not dependent upon their little strength; their faith was in Christ, who had opened a door that no one, not even those of the synagogue of Satan (3:9) were able to close. Jesus commended the church, saying: Behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou . . . hast kept My Word . . . I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation (testing), which shall come upon all the world (3:8,10). We may look at our circumstances in our church and they may seem overwhelming. Philadelphia should be an inspiration to all of us to persevere.

The majority of Church members in Laodicea probably congratulated themselves on being broad-minded. They probably pitied the narrow-minded Christians in Philadelphia. The Laodicean believers prided themselves on their ability to compromise. But Jesus severely condemned Laodicea: So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue (vomit) thee out of My mouth (3:16). Still, He appealed to them.

Today God has opened a door to evangelize the world. It is an open door which God in His grace has entrusted to us. Jesus is still saying: I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me. To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with Me in My throne (Rev. 3:20-21).

Thought for the Day: A Christian can lay up treasures in Heaven which no earthly power can destroy.

Cross Reference:

For Rev. 3:5: See Ex. 32:32. Rev. 3:12: See Is. 62:2. Rev. 4:2-3: See Ezek. 1:28. Rev. 4:5: See Zech. 4:2. Rev. 4:6: See Ezek. 1:22. Rev. 4:7: See Ezek. 1:10. Rev. 4:8: See Is. 6:2-3.
Word Studies:

3:20 sup, feast, share spiritual food and fellowship; 4:6 beasts, living ones.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Rita Guerra • Government Officials: Rep. Randy Neugebauer (TX) and Sen. Jeff Sessions (AL) • Country: Lebanon (4.3 million) in the Middle East • Major languages: Arabic and French • Limited religious freedom • 55% Muslim (Shi'a, Sunni); 41% Christian (Maronite, Orthodox, Melchite, Protestant, Chaldean, Assyrian, Syriac); 3% Druze; 1% Others (Jewish, Baha'i, Alawi, Jehovah's Witness) • Prayer Suggestion: Don't try to impress others with your prayers; pray about whatever is on your heart (Matt. 6:7-8).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Revelation 6 – 8
Highlights:

The Seals; 144,000 sealed; the numberless multitude; four trumpets sounded.
And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains; And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of Him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: For the great day of His wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand? (Rev. 6:15-17).

Seven hundred years before Christ was born, Isaiah revealed that the administration of justice would rest upon the Messiah-King. The government shall be upon his shoulder: and His name shall be called . . . The mighty God (Is. 9:6).

Isaiah foreold that Christ would be brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers (Is. 53:7). This was confirmed by John the Baptist who pointed out the Messiah by saying Behold the Lamb of God (John 1:29). Jesus is the Lamb of God. He is the last and only sacrifice ever needed by mankind.

Christ as the Lamb of God came to earth to portray the gentleness of God's love to all who receive Him as their Savior and Lord. During His life on earth and for the last 2000 years, Christ has shown mercy upon mercy to every individual who would simply choose to accept it. But on Judgment Day, to all who have refused His love and have chosen to remain under the control of Satan and in rebellion against God, He will say: Depart from Me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the Devil and his angels (Matt. 25:41).

As believers we rejoice in the fact that our names are written in the Lords Book of Life and we have the promise and privilege of being in the presence of the King of kings for all eternity. As Jesus proclaimed: After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb (Lord Jesus Christ), clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb (Rev. 7:9-10).

In heaven multitudes of overcomers stand in the presence of their Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Through the centuries, this revelation has strengthened the faith of many Christians who have faced fierce opposition from a hostile world.

Thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ (I Cor. 15:57).

Thought for the Day: God loves everyone; it is not His will that any should perish.

Cross References:

For Rev. 6:12: See Joel 2:31. Rev. 6:13: See Is. 34:4. Rev. 6:17: See Joel 2:11. Rev. 7:3: See Ezek. 9:4. Rev. 7:17: See Ezek. 34:23.
Word Studies:

6:13 untimely figs, unripe figs; 6:15 bondman, slave.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: in Honor of Daniel Turner, A life well spent, 23 years. • Staff: Ilene Wallace • Country: Lesotho (2 million) within the east-central part of the Republic of South Africa • Major languages: Sesotho and English • Limited religious freedom • 43% Roman Catholic; 30% Protestant; 6% ancestor worship, divination, and spirit-possession cults • Prayer Suggestion: Pray that the will of God be done in every situation you face today (Matt. 6:10).

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk