Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Colossians 1 – 4

Highlights:

The true Church; reconciliation in Christ; warning against false teaching; Christian virtues.
For this cause we . . . pray . . . that ye might be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding . . . Strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness; Giving thanks unto the Father (Col. 1:9-12).

To grasp the importance of this prayer, notice how many times the inclusive word all is used: all wisdom . . . all might . . . all patience. The Word of God does its best to convey the great importance of prayer. Verse upon verse tells us of the power that is in prayer. In the same way it also explains the power we lack without it. Prayer can accomplish a multitude of things. And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him (James 5:15). We are told in this one verse that prayer works in healing, restoration and repentance. That is a lot of power. However, there is so much more to prayer than can even be imagined. As we state many times, prayer is our communication line to God.

A Christian's walk cannot be pleasing to God or impart peace of mind until it is led by a knowledge of His will in all wisdom which is gained through reading His Word. Only to that extent will we be strengthened with His Glorious power. Together the Word of God and prayer are what help us draw so much from God. When we keep a quiet time with the Lord, He can deal with our hearts in the matters He desires. Sometimes it is hard to hear from God with all the other voices in the world. However, if we keep special prayer times set aside, without any distractions, we are able to hear from heaven better. However, these should not be our only prayer times. Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints (Eph. 6:18). The Scripture teaches clearly that we should be in a constant state of prayer. This does not mean we are always on our knees with our heads bowed. You can talk to God anywhere and anytime. Whenever you feel the need for answers, pray. Whenever you need extra strength, pray. Whenever you need counsel, pray. Pray without ceasing (I Thes. 5:17).

God answers prayers in three ways. He answers yes, no or wait. I believe most of us find the hardest answer to accept is wait. It puts us in a place where we must trust God with our lives. If God wants you to wait, it'll be worth it.

The promises of God are exceeding great and precious (II Peter 1:4) to those who pray specifically and persistently.

And whatsoever we ask, we receive of Him, because we keep His Commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in His sight (I John 3:22).

Thought for the Day: The prayer of the upright is the Lord's delight.

Cross References:

For Col. 2:11: See Deut. 10:16. Col. 3:23: See Eccl. 9:10. Col. 4:6: See Eccl. 10:12.
Word Studies:

1:12 meet, sufficient; 1:13 translated, transferred; 1:23 settled, firmly grounded; 2:4 beguile, deceive; 2:23 will worship, self-inspired efforts at worship; 3:5 Mortify, Treat as dead; concupiscence, uncontrolled desire for what is forbidden, especially sexual immorality; 3:22 singleness of heart, sincerity, honesty, not hypocritical or self-seeking; fearing God, out of reverence for your Lord; 4:1 give . . . that which is just and equal, do what is right and fair.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: sponsored by Rev. Gladys Davis • Staff: Michael Moore • Government Officials: Sec. Ray LaHood (Dept. of Transportation) and Gov. Andrew Cuomo (NY) • Country: Iceland (272,000) at the northern end of the Atlantic • Major language: Icelandic • Religious freedom • 94% Protestant; 6% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Confess your sins to the Lord; He is merciful and forgiving (Dan. 9:4-9).
Memory Verse for the Week: Isaiah 7:14
:angel:

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Thessalonians 1 – 5
Highlights:

Manner of Paul's preaching; his appeal for purity; the coming of the Lord.
And the Lord make you to increase and abound in love one toward another, and toward all men, even as we do toward you: To the end He may stablish your hearts unblameable in holiness before God, even our Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all His saints (I Thes. 3:12,13).

The two letters to the Thessalonians contain twenty different references to the return of our Lord and have one supreme purpose for the believer to be prepared for the second coming of the Lord Jesus Christ. We should live our lives as though it were going to happen today. We should be diligently seeking to bring the lost to Christ. The desire of the believer should be for as many as possible to be ready to meet Jesus. That is why during this, the season of the Church, we must win souls. I must work the works of Him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work (John 9:4). The problem is that many do not feel the urgency to work towards winning the lost. We are more occupied with other things. Then saith He unto his disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few; Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that He will send forth labourers into His harvest (Matt. 9:37-38). Let us, therefore, commit ourselves to the task of winning souls for Christ. The task can seem overwhelming at times. The world can be a harsh place. However, for the believer, we have the knowledge it will come to a close one day. Yes, the world will revile us, but we must persevere. And ye shall be hated of all men for My name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved (Mark 13:13).

Among the words of comfort to His disciples was the Saviour's promise that He would come again and receive them unto Himself (John 14:1-3). This is the hope of the Church; the greatest event to take place since His ascension nearly 2,000 years ago. Christ will return for His own. Those who have chosen to follow Him will be united with Him forever and ever.

Will He come? Are the hopes of the Church doomed to be forever unsatisfied? Will the wrongs of the universe never be judged? Dear friends, the believer who is in fellowship with Christ never loses confidence in His promise. Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ (Titus 2:13). Long waiting has only sharpened his conviction, brightened his hope and clarified the Scriptures. He is watching and waiting for the triumphant shout of the Redeemer.

For the Lord Himself shall descend from heaven with a shout . . . And so shall we ever be with the Lord (I Thes. 4:16-17).

Thought for the Day: The Lord is returning for those who have made themselves ready (see Rev. 19:7).

Cross References:

For I Thess. 5:4: See Is. 35:4.
Word Studies:

2:2 shamefully entreated, mistreated, suffering outrageously; 2:9 chargeable, a burden; 3:8 fast, firm; 4:4 possess his vessel, control his body; 4:8 despiseth, rejects; 5:14 unruly, disorderly.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Sen. Thad Cochran (MS) and Sen. Susan Collins (ME) • Country: India (986 million) in southern Asia • Major languages: Hindi and English • Religious freedom, but increasing harassment and persecution of Christians by religious radicals • 78% Hindu; 12% Muslim (mostly Sunni); 3% Christian; 2.5% Indigenous; 2% Sikh; .9% Buddhist; .5% Jain; .3% Parsi; .2% Baha'i; .1% Jewish; .5% non-Religious • Prayer Suggestion: Commit your fears to the Lord; He will give you peace and strength (Dan. 10:19).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Thessalonians 1 – 3
Highlights:

Encouragement in persecution; instruction concerning the day of the Lord; commandments to work.
And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels (II Thes. 1:7).

There are two definite appointed times that we will all face: death, and the coming of the Lord (Mark 13:32). Christ is coming again, and preparation must be made before death for the life to come (John 11:26). The only way we can be prepared for these events is to be "born again into the Family of God" by His Spirit (I John 5:1; see also John 3:3-5). We must accept the free pardon from sin that is offered to us by Jesus. Jesus has made the way for us to prepare ourselves to meet Him. Jesus saith unto him, I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me (John 14:6). Jesus makes it clear that He has made the only way that will get us to Him in the end. We must place our trust in the work done upon the cross by Jesus Christ. And, having made peace through the blood of His cross, by Him to reconcile all things unto Himself; by Him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven (Col. 1:20).

Titus spoke of that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ (Titus 2:13). But this blessed hope, and the glorious appearing is only for Christians — others have no hope. Those who know God, and that obey not the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ . . . shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of His power (II Thes. 1:8-9). They have heard the message of the Good News. They understand that Christ died for them. They simply for one reason or another have chosen to reject the gospel message or put off their decision. And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgement to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have convenient season, I will call for thee (Acts 24:25). There are probably no sadder words spoken than these or others like them. So many have heard the message of Christ and simply said not now.

Don't let the enemy deceive you. The devil will use every device at his command to keep a person from coming to Christ. It is amazing that sometimes the simple schemes work the best. Just getting us to hold off long enough could cost us everything. Tomorrow is not promised us. For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation (II Cor. 6:2). So we need to seek the Lord while there is still time. Whether by death or the return of Christ, judgement is coming.

Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he can not enter into the Kingdom of God (John 3:5).

Thought for the Day: Those who truly love God will pursue righteousness.

Cross References:

For II Thess. 1:8: See Is. 1:28. II Thess. 2:3: See Dan. 7:25. II Thess. 2:4: See Ezek. 28:2.
Word Studies:

1:3 meet, fitting, right; 2:17 stablish, strengthen, make firm; 3:7 disorderly, irresponsibly.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Raul Labrador (ID) • Country: Indonesia (211.8 million) five large and 13,662 lesser islands in Southeast Asia • Major languages: Bahasa Indonesian (modified form of Malay) and English • Growing pressure from Muslim leaders to limit advances of Christianity by not renewing many of the missionaries' permits to stay in the country • 83% Muslim; 9% Protestant; 4% Catholic; 2% Hindu; 1% Buddhist; 1% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Seek the Lord's forgiveness with a repentant heart, knowing that God will graciously receive you (Hos. 14:1-2).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Timothy 1 – 6
Highlights:

Warning against false doctrine; thankfulness for mercy; bishops and deacons; instructions about widows and elderly; gain of godliness.
I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty (I Tim. 2:1-2).

Nero, the Roman ruler, was cruelly persecuting Christians at the time Paul wrote the book of I Timothy. Yet, the Bible emphasizes the importance of Christians praying for those who have authority over them, even though many rulers are ruthless, ungodly men. It is the same in today's times. We definitely have some godly men and women in leadership roles all over the world. In the United States in particular, there are many political and business leaders who follow the Lord. However, there are many more that don't follow Christ. We must remember to pray for these leaders. We can pray that God would touch their hearts and draw them to Himself. Even if the leaders are treating believers poorly, that is the time to pray for them. Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you (Luke 6:28). We can pray, that God will turn their hearts. We can also pray that God will remove them from power and place a believer in their office. We know from the Word of God that when people begin to pray and hearts change that a whole nation can experience revival. If My people, which are called by My name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land (II Chr. 7:14). Sometimes it is in God's plan for the rulers of a nation to be unbelievers.

Strange as it may seem, the Scriptures record occasions when God even used wicked rulers to accomplish His purpose. God may do this for many reasons. Sometimes, it is to pronounce judgment on a nation. Other times, it may take an evil leader to wake a nation up to its complacency. Even other times, God may be trying to steer the nation in another direction and it took this leader to do that. We often waste a lot of effort trying to figure out what God is doing when it is not in His plan for us to know. At times, He may reveal what He is doing, but not always. For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, saith the Lord (Is. 55:8).

We can have the confidence from God's Word that our prayers work. They work in our world and in the unseen world. Hearts can be changed, bodies healed and demons put to flight.

And I will give unto thee the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven (Matt. 16:19).

Thought for the Day: Pray for all that are in authority — both political and spiritual.

Cross Reference:

For I Tim. 5:18: See Deut. 25:4.
Word Studies:

1:5 unfeigned, genuine; without hypocrisy; 1:10 menstealers, kidnappers, people who enslave (control) others for their own evil purposes; 2:9 shamefacedness, modest behavior, reverence; 2:12 usurp authority, be domineering; 3:2 husband of one wife, married only once until parted by death; vigilant, disciplined, self-controlled: 3:8 greedy of filthy lucre, craving wealth; 3:13 purchase to themselves a good degree, gain a good reputation; 5:11 wax wanton against Christ, allow their passions to draw them away from Christ; 6:4 questions and strifes of words, controversial, contentious speculations, attacking the authority and reliability of Scripture.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (NY) and Rep. Pete Olson (TX) • Country: Iran (66.2 million) in southwestern Asia • Major languages: Farsi and Turki • Hostile to all Christian activity • 87% Shi'a; 12% Sunni; .5% Baha'i; .4% Christian; .03% Jewish; .04% Parsi (Zoroastrian); .03% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Fast, sanctify yourself, and unite in prayer with others as you cry unto the Lord (Joel 1:14).
Memory Verse for the Week: Luke 1:37

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Timothy 1 – 4
Highlights:

Exhortations to Timothy; the coming of apostasy; steadfastness in the Scriptures; the charge to preach.
Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ (II Tim. 2:3).

The ministry of Paul was marked by much suffering that demanded great endurance (II Cor. 11:22-28). He was in Roman prisons many times, but through it all, he never considered himself a prisoner of anyone other than Jesus (Phil. 1). He had also endured many other afflictions. He was beaten many times. He was shipwrecked. Often times, he faced opposition even from the Church because of his past. He even lived daily with some unknown ailment in his physical body as a spiritual challenge. And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure (II Cor. 12:7).

Paul knew that his end was near and he was deeply concerned that Timothy, his son in the faith (I Tim. 1:2), be prepared as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. He urged him to endure hardness and told him the secret of his success by urging him to Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed (II Tim. 2:15). It would appear from the things Paul was charging Timothy with that he was entrusting this young man to take up where he would leave off at the time of his death. The letter brings to mind the passing of the mantle from Elijah to Elisha. Elijah said unto Elisha, Ask what I shall do for thee, before I be taken away from thee . . . I pray thee, let a double portion of thy spirit be upon me . . . nevertheless, if thou see me when I am taken from thee, it shall be so unto thee; but if not, it shall not be so (II Kings 2:9-10). The Scripture conveys what would happen at Elijah's departure. There is more than one similarity here. Timothy was being summoned to be with Paul here at the end of his life. Both of these great spiritual leaders, Elijah and Paul, were preparing their students, their sons in the Lord, for the task of stepping into their shoes and leading the church in their respective times.

A good soldier of Jesus Christ obeys our Lord's orders. He knows that Christ is concerned for his welfare and will not leave him alone in any situation. Timothy needed to understand that even though he might face persecution and afflictions, that Christ would be with him. Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee (Heb. 13:5). The promise is clear from the Word of God. Christ will be with Timothy and all believers through the good and the bad times. Just like God led Paul through his hardships to a great life of service, He would do the same for Timothy.

No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please Him who hath chosen him to be a soldier (II Tim. 2:4).

Thought for the Day: The will of God will not lead where the grace of God cannot keep.

Cross Reference:

For II Tim. 2:19: See Num. 16:5; also Nah. 1:7.
Word Studies:

2:4 entangleth himself, becomes involved; 2:23 gender strifes, create or initiate quarrels or arguments; 3:3 incontinent, without self-control; 4:15 be thou ware, be aware, be on guard.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: sponsored by Mrs Priscilla Wilcox • Staff: Clarence Rathbone • Government Officials: Sen. John Boozman (AR), Rep. Austin Scott (GA), and Rep. Luis Gutierrez (IL) • Country: Iraq (22 million) in southern Asia Major languages: Arabic and Kurdish • Fierce harassment of non-Muslims • 96% Muslim; 3% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: The promises of God should be an encouragement to you to seek God in prayer (Amos 5:4,6).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Titus 1 – Philemon 1
Highlights:

Qualifications of elders and bishops; Christian citizenship; Paul's appeal for Onesimus.
Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work, To Speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men (Titus 3:1-2).

Under inspiration of God, the apostle Peter emphasized the Christians' responsibility to be law-abiding citizens (I Pet. 2:13-14). We must remember in everything we do that we represent Christ. Those who blatantly ignore laws and break them look no different than all those in the world around us. We, as believers, are the Church. We are Christians. Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God (II Cor. 5:20). People get their opinion of a nation from meeting its ambassadors. That is why it is so important that we behave in a way that represents the kingdom of God well. We need to follow the laws of the land as close to the letter as possible.

Does this Scripture mean that we should submit passively to corrupt government and be unfaithful to God's Word if evil forces demand it? Of course not! We represent Christ first and foremost. The believer should never turn to sin because the world commands it. For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps (I Pet. 2:21).

When Peter and the other apostles were commanded by religious authorities not to tell others that Jesus was the Messiah — Savior of the world, they responded as faithful Christians saying We ought to obey God rather than men (Acts 5:29). They took a stand against those who would have them deny Christ. They would not be silenced about their Lord and Savior. Even in the face of government opposition, they still spoke the truth about who Christ was.

These Christians did not respond with force or violence, but they declared the truth, for which they were often put in prison. Some were even killed for their loyalty to Christ. But the early Christians did not react with hatred toward those who attempted to silence them. It is Satan who instigates violence and rioting. We are to always continue showing the love of Christ in all we do. This is what makes us different. We are instructed by Christ to love those around us, even if we are being persecuted. Christ set the example heading towards His death on the cross. Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots (Luke 23:34).

For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men (I Pet. 2:15).

Thought for the Day: God's people should joyfully submit to "thus saith the Lord."

Cross References:

For Titus 1:2: See Num. 23:19.
Word Studies:

Titus 1:14 Jewish fables, myths; 2:10 purloining, stealing, even small things; Philemon 1:8 enjoin thee that which is convenient, order you to do that which is proper; 1:12 mine own bowels, out of my very heart.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Chris Robison • Government Officials: Sen. Max Baucus (MT), Sen. John Kerry (MA), and Rep. Mike Simpson (ID) • Country: Ireland (3.7 million) off the coast of western Europe • Major languages: English and Irish (Gaelic) • Religious freedom • 92% Catholic; 3.7% Anglican; 1% Other Protestant; .2% Muslim; .1% Jewish; 2% Other; 1% None • Prayer Suggestion: Pray when distressed and afflicted (Jon. 2:2).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Hebrews 1 – 4
Highlights:

Why Christ assumed human nature; His superiority to angels; to Moses: danger of unbelief.
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Heb. 4:12).

The Word of God is our all-sufficient strength to meet our every need. Therefore, let us earnestly yield ourselves to His Word, that we may live in fellowship with Him. The Word of God is our lifeline to God. When you think about all that the Word of God does, it make sense. It feeds us spiritually. But He answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God (Matt. 4:4). It gives us strength to fight in the daily spiritual warfare that goes on around us. (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds) (II Cor. 10:4). It is the only offensive weapon in the armour of God. And take the helment of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God (Eph. 6:17). It is obvious that the Word of God will supply all the direction in life we will ever need. However, a map is only good if it is followed to the letter.

God's Word first penetrates sharper than any twoedged sword exposing the deep corruption of sin. It searches every part of our inner being, even to discerning the thoughts and intents of the heart. Nothing can hide itself from the judgment of His Word. If we do not allow it to judge us now, it will condemn us later. Man in his sinful nature will never be able to live in God's presence. That is why God sent the Word in the flesh, Jesus Christ, the Living Word, to take away the sins of mankind. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God . . . . But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name (John 1:1,12). In the times of old, the Law was given to reveal the sins of man. It was written down so man could learn to serve God in the way God deserved to be served. He would know when he violated God's law. When Christ came, he fulfilled the Law of God. He made a way that man could be closer to God than ever before. Accept Christ as your Saviour and Lord and the Holy Spirit will live within, giving you further enlightenment of the Word of God. Let the Word of God make you more Christlike.

He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not My words, hath one that judgeth him; the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day (John 12:48).

Thought for the Day: Those who are obedient to the Word of God will live a blessed life.

Word Studies:

Heb. 2:17 behoved, was necessary for, was imperative for; 4:8 Jesus, Joshua (not the Lord Jesus Christ). Jesus is the Greek word of the Hebrew word Joshua. Joshua could not provide complete peace in their "promised land" because of their unbelief. Israelites in that day had to look forward (in time) to heaven for their perfect peace, just as Christians do today.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: sponsored by Leon and Ann Hataway • Staff: Rick Hash • Government Officials: Rep. Blake Farenthold (TX), and Sec. Tom Vilsack (Dept. of Agriculture) • Country: Israel (6.1 million) in the Middle East • Major languages: Hebrew and Arabic • Witnessing to Jews about Christ the Messiah is actively discouraged • 80.2% Jewish (mostly secular); 14.6% Muslim (largely Sunni); 2.1% Christian; 1.6% Druze; 1.5% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Seek the Lord when in despair; He is your deliverer (Jon. 2:5-6).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Hebrews 5 – 7
Highlights:

Christ, the High Priest; priestly order of Melchisedic; Aaronic priesthood inferior to Christ's priesthood.
And no man taketh this honour unto himself, but he that is called of God, as was Aaron (Heb. 5:4).

In Israel, there was a vast difference between the high priest and the other priests. The high priest was the only one permitted to enter the Holy of Holies into the very presence of God; and then only once a year. He alone bore on his forehead the golden crown with the words: HOLINESS TO THE LORD (Ex. 28:36-38), and only he could offer sacrifices for the sins of the nation and intercede on the annual Day of Atonement.

In the Old Testament, an unblemished animal took the place of an Israelite and was slain in his place for his sin. Thus, the devout Jew was continually reminded that it is the blood that made atonement. In fulfillment of God's plan the need for those numerous sacrifices ceased on the day Jesus, the sinless Son of God, died on the cross for our sins as the Lamb of God. The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world (John 1:29).

How thankful we are that mercy is an attribute of God, for it is one of our greatest daily needs. Mercy is an expression of His willingness to forgive sinners and deliver them from eternal hell. Mercy is a practical demonstration of love and compassion. But, because God is holy, He must also enforce the penalty for sin not showing any favoritism. And if ye call on the Father who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear (I Pet. 1:17). The Scripture is very clear as to what that penalty for sin is. For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord (Rom. 6:23). Of course, the second half of that verse holds the good news.

Our highest privilege is to press on to be like Him and treasure the love of God as the most precious thing in our lives. Too often our trouble is not that we do not know the will of God, but rather, that we do not yield to His will even though He makes it very clear. Resting in Jesus' finished work of grace can be deceptive by assuming there is nothing for us to do. Christ's soon return should be our strongest motivation to do the Savior's will. We should be concerned with the souls of those who are not ready to meet Jesus. Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision: for the day of the LORD is near in the valley of decision (Joel 3:14). Let us commit ourselves to the work of leading them out of the valley to an acceptance of Christ and His free gift of salvation.

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto Himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works (Titus 2:13-14).

Thought for the Day: When distress closes upon us, we can call on the Lord and He will hear.

Cross References:

For Heb. 5:5: See Ps. 2:7. Heb. 5:6: See Ps. 110:4. Heb. 6:14: See Gen. 22:17.
Word Studies:

6:17 immutability of His counsel, unchangeableness of His will and purpose.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Beth Carlton • Government Official: Rep. Anna Eshoo (CA) • Country: Italy (58 million) in southern Europe • Major languages: Italian and German • Religious freedom • 81% Roman Catholic; .4% Protestant; .1% Eastern Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Pray,trust in the Lord and wait on Him for He will hear you (Mic. 7:7).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Hebrews 8 – 10
Highlights:

Perfection of Christ's sacrifice; exhortation to hold fast to faith.
He said, Sacrifice . . . and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein . . . Then said He, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God (Heb. 10:8-9).

The Old Testament's God-ordained Aaronic priesthood, animal sacrifices, and Temple ceremonies were all symbolic and were fulfilled in Christ. For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh: How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God? (9:13-14). He was the One True Sacrifice and is the One Eternal High Priest. It is Christ who is the sacrifice to end all sacrifices. As the Scripture says, He was the true perfect Lamb of God. It is through His death on the cross that God's old Covenant with man is fulfilled.

God required the Israelites to offer sacrifices and offerings for sin. But no sacrifice or offering could truly satisfy God or restore fellowship between God and man because they could not produce complete atonement for sin. These sacrifices and offerings were only symbolic of Christ who was to come. When Christ came, He did not do away with all these things, but fulfilled them all. The time of the Law was to give way to the age of grace. Jesus would hold nothing back in bringing to fruition God's plan. This was not a new idea. The plan all along was for Jesus to offer His life as a substitutionary sacrifice for all mankind.

Christ's words: Lo, I come to do Thy will, O God, expressed His willingness to do everything necessary to carry out God's plan to redeem lost mankind. For by one offering He hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified . . . This is the Covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put My Laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them (Heb. 10:14,16). By receiving Christ as Lord and Savior, God the Holy Spirit would now dwell within the hearts of all believers.

Life under the grace of Christ enables us to serve God without the bondage of following a legalized way of life. Christ will now guide our lives by the Word and by the Holy Spirit. We praise the Lord for the privilege to obey Him with all our Hearts!

Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for He is faithful that promised;) And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching (Heb. 10:23-25).

Thought for the Day: When we are aware of our unworthiness, we will seek God's mercy.

Cross References:

For Heb. 8:5: See Ex. 25:40. Heb. 8:8-12: See Jer. 31:31-34. Heb. 9:20-21: See Ex. 24:8. Heb. 10:5-7: See Ps. 40:6-8. Heb. 10:12-13: See Ps. 110:1. Heb. 10:16-17: See Jer. 31:33-34. Heb. 10:30: See Deut. 32:35-36. Heb. 10:37-38: See Hab. 2:3-4.
Word Studies:

8:10 New Covenant, I will . . . write them in their hearts, in contrast to the Old Covenant — written in stone; 9:2 candlestick, lampstand; 10:33 gazingstock, object of public ridicule; 10:36 patience, steadfast endurance, trust; 10:39 perdition, state of being eternally lost.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: Mr and Mrs Philip Shay • Government Officials: Rep. Sandy Adams (FL) and Rep. Nan Hayworth (NY) • Country: Jamaica (3 million) in the West Indies • Major languages: English and Creole • Religious freedom • 78% Protestant; 10% Roman Catholic; 7% Afro-American spiritist • Prayer Suggestion: Rejoice over and pray for those who share the Good News (Nah. 1:15).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Hebrews 11 – 13
Highlights:

Worthy fruits of faith, patience, godliness; warning against disobedience; service well-pleasing to God.
By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went. By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country . . . a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God (Heb. 11:8-10).

Believers in Christ see the hand of God in ordinary experiences, such as where we shall live, our occupation, and who our friends should be. To the unbeliever, these decisions seem to be entirely in the sphere of man's own judgment. However, the true believer knows it is important to consult God on all life's decisions. The Holy Spirit will direct those who truly seek His direction in their decision making. Sometimes making decisions without consulting God can take us down a wrong track in life. We can avoid this by praying and following the direction of the Word of God. Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto My path (Ps. 119:105).

Although God's promise was not fulfilled during his lifetime, Abraham saw beyond the grave. In his heart he knew God did not deceive, even though at death he possessed only a grave in the promised land. They who know Christ best and have trusted God most are always the first to say that life is a series of disappointments to human reasoning. But our disappointments are His appointments. Everything in life is an opportunity for Christ to show how He is working in our lives. And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose (Rom. 8:28).

Abraham is spoken of as the Friend of God (James 2:23) and the father of many nations (Gen.17:4-5). Note, too, that Abraham was a wanderer, a homeless man who lived in tents as a mere visitor in the land of promise — a sojourner. Yes, the thought of being homeless seems to be incompatible with happiness, but Abraham's life does illustrate that the great secret to contentment in life is faith in the faithfulness of God.

God's promises may seem at first to assure earthly goods. With all our life before us, that is what we seem primarily to desire. However, life seldom fulfills the promises just as we first understand them. As one thing after another disappoints us, we need to see how God is leading us to see beyond life's unsatisfying deceptive rewards to His eternal treasure. As we grow in faith, we look beyond life's corruptible possessions to the heavenly city as Abraham did. Abraham illustrates the inseparability of faith and obedience.

Without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him (Heb. 11:6).

Thought for the Day: To fulfil God's purpose, we must follow His leading since He knows what is best.

Cross References:

For Heb. 11:18: See Gen. 21:12. Heb. 12:5-6: See Prov. 3:11-12. Heb. 12:12: See Is. 35:3. Heb. 12:26: See Hag. 2:6. Heb. 13:5: See Josh. 1:5; also Deut. 31:8. Heb. 13:6: See Ps. 118:6.
Word Studies:

11:29 assaying, attempting; 13:9 divers, various.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Sen. Mark Warner (VA) • Country: Japan (126.7 million) off the eastern coast of Asia • Major language: Japanese • Religious freedom • 49% Buddhist; 45% Shintoist; 1% Christian; 5% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Praise God for godly men of old who were faithful to record His Word of Truth (Hab. 2:1-2).

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk