Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read John 6 – 8 
Highlights:

Feeding of the 5,000; Jesus walking on the sea; Jesus, the Light of the World.
So when they continued asking Him, He lifted up Himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her (John 8:7).

A woman who had been caught in the very act of adultery was taken to Jesus and forced to stand before Him while the scribes and Pharisees hurled their accusations saying, Moses in the Law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest Thou? (8:5).

Spiritual darkness had covered this woman's life, but now she stood before the Light of the World (8:12). The religious leaders who had insisted on keeping the Law slipped away when the Light exposed their sin, too. As we stand before Jesus, we all fall short of what He intended for us to be. Sometimes, we want to be just like those who were bringing judgment on this woman. It is fairly easy to make ourselves look good when we think about who we are being compared to. However, always remember in the end it is Jesus, the one who is perfect, with whom we will be compared. How will we match up then? We will be compared like everybody on that day. It is only through Jesus that any of us are righteous. Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in His blood, to declare His righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God (Rom. 3:25).

Jesus did not suggest that what she had done was not a serious sin. No, He merely said, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her (John 8:7). She had indeed sinned, and according to the Law, she should have been stoned. But it is important to remember that she was not the only sinner present that day. All those that stood in the crowd except for the Son of God had transgressed the Law. For the Law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ (John 1:17). Notice the double emphasis, truth and grace. Truth says, "Stone her!" but grace says, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more (8:11).

To share His grace we must do more than say, "I will forgive, but I will never forget," or "I trusted you once, but I will never trust you again!" We must have a spirit of continual forgiveness. We are called to forgive just as forgiveness is given to us by the Lord. This is not always easy. Sometimes hurts linger on for years and years. It is important to realize that forgiveness helps bring healing to all involved including the one doing the forgiving.

Be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you (Ephesians 4:32).

Thought for Today:

We receive as much grace from the Lord as we are willing to show others.
Cross References:

For John 6:31: See Ex 16:4; Neh. 9:15; Ps. 78:24. John 6:45: See Is. 54:13.
Word Studies:

6:24 took shipping, got into boats.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Mazie Hirono (HI), Rep. Lynn Woolsey (CA) and Rep. Jamie Herrera-Beutler (WA) • Country: Cyprus (754,000) in the Middle East • Major languages: Greek and Turkish • No open evangelism or conversions to Christ • 75% Greek Orthodox; 19% Muslim; 1% Protestant; 1% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to help you teach His Word to your children; it will give guidance and instruction as they go through life (Prov. 6:20-23).
Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 119:33-34
:angel:

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read John 9 – 10
Highlights:

Healing the man born blind; Jesus, the Good Shepherd.
He answered and said, Whether He be a sinner or no, I know not: one thing I know, that, whereas I was blind, now I see . . . And he said, Lord, I believe. And he worshipped Him (John 9:25,38).

This unnamed man, blind from birth, told how he had received his sight. What a beautiful picture this is of all who have received Christ and now tell others of the wonderful Savior who gives eternal life. How could you not want to share this kind of news? God has just transformed your life. Of course, you are going to want to tell everyone you see. Many even preached and taught of what they had seen or experienced. The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the Gospel preached to them (Matt. 11:5).

The unconverted skeptic will find fault, deny it, and insist upon debating about the transformation that takes place in the heart of the believer, but the one who trusts Christ as his Savior can say with the blind man, One thing I know, that, whereas I was blind, now I see. Praise the Lord that we are changed by the saving power of Jesus. We were dead and now have become alive. What other force in the world can do that? None that I know. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth My Word, and believeth on Him that sent Me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life (John 5:24).

When we are exposed to Christ, the Light of the World, something happens. Either our eyes are opened and we see spiritually as did this blind man, or we remain blind eternally like the Pharisees. The light of God's Word has purifying power that cleanses the worst sinner. Many people feel they have gone too far to be forgiven. In their minds they have created a "sin line" which they have crossed. They believe their sins are so terrible they cannot be forgiven. For them this sin line is a point of no return. Grace is so much more than people understand. Through Jesus' death on the cross our sins are cast as far away as the east is from the west (Ps. 103:12). The Word of God will help us overcome our sin. For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Heb. 4:12).

The Bible first reveals the impurities in our lives, then it shows how God has provided for continual cleansing.

Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you (John 15:3).

Thought for Today:

To the sincere believer, the Bible is like a mirror, making us aware of our innermost thoughts and motives.
Cross Reference:

For John 10:34: See Ps. 82:6.
Word Studies:

10:3 porter, doorkeeper; watchman; 10:41 resorted unto Him, came to Him.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Jennifer Palafox • Government Official: Rep. John Yarmuth (KY) • Country: Czech Republic (10 million) in central Europe • Major languages: Czech and Slovak • Religious freedom • 63% Catholic; 7% Protestant; 4% Eastern Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Diligently seek the guidance of the Lord ( Prov. 8:17).
Memory Verse for the Week: Titus 3:3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read John 11 – 12

Highlights:

Raising of Lazarus; Mary anoints Jesus' feet; the triumphant entry.
If any man serve Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there shall also My servant be: if any man serve Me, him will my Father honour (John 12:26).

Follow me . . . serve me were familiar words to all who met the Master. Even when Jesus was on His way to Jerusalem to be crucified, He said, And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after Me, cannot be My disciple (Luke 14:27).

Speaking under the shadow of the approaching cross, Jesus told His disciples: Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit (John 12:24). Every grain of wheat, every seed teaches the lesson that through its death lies the path to a beautiful and fruitful life. The concept of dying to bring life is not the easiest to explain. However, the example of the seed explains it well. That's why Jesus is the best teacher of all. Through the old life dying, a new life can begin. Who doesn't want a clean slate to write a new story on. We die with Christ so we can live this brand new life. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me (Gal. 2:20).

Christ's death on the cross was not only a demonstration of completed obedience, but it is to be an example of self-denial for all who respond to His loving call, follow Me . . . serve Me. Jesus is calling us to obey Him on every issue. We know from the Word that obedience is superior to sacrifice (I Sam.15:22). Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God (Col. 3:22).

There is a heavenly reward for those who will endure unto the end (Rev. 2:26). Paul instructed Timothy to endure afflictions . . . make full proof of thy ministry . . . . I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love His appearing (II Tim. 4:4-8).

Only the few who accept the challenge of the cross and die to self will experience the meaning of Jesus' words, him will my Father honour, for their life belongs to Christ. When we truly belong to Christ, this is when life begins. The purpose God has for our lives can start to manifest itself within our lives. We can become the person God has planned for us to be.

And He said to them all, If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me (Luke 9:23).

Thought for Today:

The Holy Spirit enables us to submit to the work of the cross in our lives — crucifying self.
Cross References:

For John 12:13: See Ps. 118:26. John 12:15: See Zech. 9:9. John 12:38: See Is. 53:1. John 12:40: See Is. 6: 9-10; Ex. 4:21.
Word Studies:

12:46 I am come a Light, I have come to reveal the Truth.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Broadcast: sponsored by Rev. Gladys V. Davis • Government Officials: Rep. Ben Quayle (AZ) and Rep. Frederica Wilson (FL) • Country: Denmark (5 million) in northern Europe • Major languages: Danish and Faroese • Religious freedom • 92% Protestant; 1% Muslim; .5% Roman Catholic; .5% cults; .1% Jewish • Prayer Suggestion: Pray for national revival, for righteousness exalts a nation (Prov. 14:34).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read John 17 – 18
Highlights:

Jesus' prayer of intercession; betrayal and arrest; Peter's denial.
Sanctify them through Thy truth: Thy Word is truth (John 17:17).

On the mount of transfiguration, Jesus' countenance had shone like the sun; His garments were white as the light; and the voice of God had spoken from Heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased (Matt. 17:5).

But here as He prayed His great intercessary prayer, His Spirit shone like the sun and His voice of prayer beamed like a majestic light, saying, Sanctify them through Thy truth. He brings to our hearts the divine love of God that impresses His disciples to have a great desire to live for the One who died for them (II Cor. 5:1, 14-21). His love inspires a hatred for sin and a clear intent of separation from this world system of things. Because we truly love Christ, we will be against worldly things. We will constantly be at odds with the enemy, Satan. No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon (Matt. 6:24).

When Jesus prayed for those who are not of the world (John 17:14-16), He did not mean for them to not associate with unbelievers. The believer is in the world, but should not be of the world. His daily conduct should be such that the unbelieving world can clearly tell he is a child of God. Sometimes what they see makes it hard to tell the difference. However, it should be the easiest thing on earth to tell the child of God from the unbeliever. Since He hath chosen us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will (Eph. 1:3-5). Our lives should reveal us to be followers of Jesus Christ. We have been transformed from our old ways to something new. The old us is gone and we truly are a new person in Christ. Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new (II Cor. 5:17).

Some have attempted to live in seclusion in order to avoid being contaminated by the unsaved, thinking they can escape the pollutions of the world. But they are ignoring the purpose for which they were sent into the world which is to share Christ with others. As Christ, the Light of the World (John 8:12), did not avoid the public, so we as His disciples will "shine" not only at the family altar or in worship, but in our everyday conversation and conduct in the world.

But as He which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation (living) (I Pet. 1:15).

Thought for Today:

The precious Holy Spirit will apply God's Word to our hearts if we faithfully read it each day.
Cross Reference:

For John 17:12: See Ps. 41:9.
Word Studies:

17:12 the son of perdition, Judas Iscariot; 18:30 malefactor, evildoer, criminal.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Clarence Rathbone • Government Official: Rep. Sam Graves (MO) • Country: Dominica (65,000) in the British West Indies • Major languages: English and French patois • Religious freedom • 75% Roman Catholic; 12% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Read, study and listen to the Word of God so that your prayers will be answered (Prov. 28:9).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read John 19 – 21
Highlights:

Christ's crucifixion, burial, and resurrection; His appearance to His disciples.
Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as My Father hath sent Me, even so send I you (John 20:21).

Quite frequently the Lord used the word "as" in relation to Himself and God. Here, He links His disciples with Himself in His great mission, as My Father hath sent me, even so send I you. Jesus had been commissioned for a great work. He was to pay the sin debt for all of mankind by giving His own life as a substitutionary sacrifice. By this He also set an example of the way we should live. Hereby perceive we the love of God, because He laid down His life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren (I John 3:16).

Christianity has always produced a completely changed way of life wherever it has been accepted and practiced. The supreme purpose of Christ's coming into the world was that the world through Him might be saved (John 3:17). This was also the message of Luke, who wrote that Christ came into the world to seek and to save that which was lost (Luke 19:10). In Mark, Jesus said that He came to call sinners to repentance (Mark 2:17). In Matthew, Jesus' words, Come unto me . . . and I will give you rest (Matt. 11:28), are spoken. It is clearly made known by all four Gospel writers what was really important. To win the souls of the lost is clearly the mission for which Jesus came. It was these that He was calling to come to Him.

All four Gospel writers tell us that Jesus depends upon us, His disciples, to communicate His redeeming love. His words, even so send I you, are a true expression of evangelism. They never wait for prospects to come to us, but to go to where they are. The Spirit of Christ continues to prompt us today to share the witness of His salvation. We are the hands and feet of Jesus. We are His mouthpiece. We are commanded by God to introduce the lost to Christ. Jesus has commissioned all of us to: Go . . . teach all nations . . . to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you. He has promised: I am with you alway (Matt. 28:18-20). We are to bring these to Him.

Thought for Today:

Every Christian has a personal world for which he is responsible to tell of God's saving power.
Cross References:

For John 19:24: See Ps. 22:18. John 19:36: See Ex. 12:46; Ps. 34:20. John 19:37: See Zech. 12:10.
Word Studies:

19:1 scourged, whipped with leather cords weighted with sharp pieces of bone or lead; 19:30 It is finished, His physical ministry was complete.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Karen Hawkins • Government Official: Mayor Vincent Gray (DC) • Country: Dominican Republic (8 million) in the West Indies, occupying the eastern two-thirds of the island of Hispaniola • Major language: Spanish • Religious freedom • 96% Roman Catholic (many are spiritists); 2% Protestant; 1% Afro-American spiritist • Prayer Suggestion: Confess and forsake your sins that you may receive mercy (Prov. 28:13).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Acts 1 – 3
Highlights:

Ascension of Christ; promise of the Lord's return; coming of the Holy Spirit on Pentecost; Peter's sermon.
And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved (Acts 2:21).

Our Lord emphasized the importance of going forth as witnesses of the Gospel by saying, Ye shall be witnesses unto me (1:8). The first Christians knew that all hope for eternal life rested in Christ alone. Consequently, the word witness can be found more than thirty times in this dynamic book of Acts. It is obvious then that it was a priority of the early church to share the Good News of Jesus Christ with their families, neighbors, and even total strangers. They took the call seriously to win souls. They knew that this is a work with eternal ramifications. They were not afraid to tell the Gospel story. For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek (Rom. 1:16).

Godly men were appointed to tend to material and physical needs so the early church leaders could give themselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the Word (Acts 6:4). But it is also said of these early Christians, And daily in the Temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ (5:42). Leaders were needed in the church to help with the work the disciples were doing. They had become overwhelmed with the workload. Even with their time limited, they continued teaching and preaching. So, they chose godly men to help with certain parts of the ministry. For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee (Titus 1:5).

Not only the leaders, but the early converts also continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine . . . and in prayers (Acts 2:42). It is the privilege of every Christian to tell and teach others about Christ and His Word. Ye shall be witnesses unto me. . . unto the uttermost part of the earth (1:8). This call was not just for the disciples or the elders or the deacons, but to all that followed Christ. The fruit of their witness is recorded when the believers were scattered abroad because of persecution . . . . Some of them were men of Cyprus and Cyrene, which, when they were come to Antioch, spake unto the Grecians, preaching the Lord Jesus. And the hand of the Lord was with them: and a great number believed, and turned unto the Lord (11:19-21). God does not limit who can follow Him.

Whosoever therefore shall confess Me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven (Matt. 10:32).

Thought for Today:

A person may be wrong about many things, but he dare not be wrong about how to gain eternal life.
Cross References:

For Acts 1:20: See Ps. 69:25; 109:8. Acts 2:17-21: See Joel 2:28-32. Acts 2:25-28: See Ps. 16:8-11. Acts 2:34-35: See Ps. 110:1. Acts 3:22-23: See Deut. 18:15,18-19. Acts 3:25: See Gen. 12:3; 22:18.
Word Studies:

1:3 after His passion, after He had suffered death; 1:12 a Sabbath day's journey, a little over one-half mile, the extent a Jew was allowed to travel on the Sabbath; 2:27 leave My soul in hell, forsake Me in the grave (Sheol).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Raido sponsored by Mr. & Mrs. Nick Angelos • Government Officials: Sen. Sherrod Brown (OH) and Rep. Scott Tipton (CO) • Country: Ecuador (13 million) in South America, crossed by the equator • Major language: Spanish • Religious freedom • 91% Roman Catholic; 3% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: When you pray, be brief and pray from your heart (Eccl. 5:2).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Acts 4 – 6

Highlights:

Peter and John imprisoned; death of Ananias and Sapphira; Stephen's arrest, message, and stoning.
And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common (Acts 4:32).

One of the remarkable characteristics of this first church of Jerusalem was the spirit of oneness that manifested itself in the people's willingness to give up material possessions. Wealthy believers sold their lands or houses and brought the money to be used for the Lord's ministry and for those who did not have enough for their family needs. The program of sharing wealth in the early church was purely a voluntary one. What if the wealth of the church were mobilized in today's society just as in the New Testament? Few would be hungry or could say they had not heard the Gospel or they did not have the basic needs of life. True godly love will meet needs. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing (I Cor. 13:3).

A certain man in the church decided to sell some property and give to the poor. Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possesion, And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet (Acts 5:1-2). As long as the land belonged to Ananias, he could do with it as he chose; and even after he had sold it, the money was his to do with as he pleased. All the selling of property and giving of money was voluntary.

It appears that Ananias had a desire to imitate Barnabas, the man of Cyprus who, having land, sold it, and brought the money, and laid it at the apostles' feet (4:37).

Ananias' sin was not in keeping part of the money, but in pretending to have "one heart" in surrendering all his possessions. Ananias anticipated praise and recognition to which he was not entitled. Satan had filled his heart with a desire to gain a reputation as a generous and self-sacrificing giver while keeping part of the money for his own use. We should never seek praise for our gifts to the Kingdom of God. Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven (Matt. 6:1).

In every community, there are people like Ananias and Sapphira who outwardly uphold the Christian faith, but their inward desire is to put self first. But the Holy Spirit knows the difference.

Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over . . . For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again (Luke 6:38).

Thought for Today:

God knows us as who we really are — not as what we want others to think we are.
Cross References:

For Acts 4:11: See Ps. 118:22. Acts 4:25-26: See Ps. 2:1-2.
Word Studies:

5:2 being privy to it, knowing of it, she helped plan the deception; 6:11 suborned, influenced to do wrong, bribed.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Sen. Saxby Chambliss (GA), Rep. Silvestre Reyes (TX), and Rep. Bill Johnson (OH) • Country: Egypt (66 million) in northeastern Africa • Major languages: Arabic and English • Christians are not permitted to evangelize Muslims • 87.5% Muslim; 12% Christian; .5% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Pray that God will teach you His ways and transform your life by His Word (Is. 2:3).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Acts 7 – 8
Highlights:

Saul persecuting Christians; Simon, the sorcerer; Philip and the Ethiopian.
And Saul was consenting unto his (Stephen's) death. And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they were all scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judea and Samaria, except the apostles (Acts 8:1).

The stoning of Stephen marked the beginning of great persecution against the church. God permitted this persecution so that His Word might be preached across the world as the Christians were scattered abroad. This first scattering abroad began the fulfillment of the Lord's words: Ye shall be witnesses unto Me . . . in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth (Acts 1:8). As you can see, this initial persecution forced the disciples out of staying in Jerusalem and its surrounding areas. They ended up in varying places. They began to preach and set up house churches wherever they went. Even in the face of persecution, they continued doing what God had instructed them to do. And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers (Acts 2:42).

Philip, one of the seven deacons, was driven to minister in Samaria because of the persecution. As a result of Philip's preaching there, many believed and were baptized (8:12). Even though the Christians were forced to travel to new locations, like Jeremiah, they found that His Word was in mine (their) heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones . . . and I could not stay (Jer. 20:9). They had to tell the Gospel message. Thus, churches began to be established in other areas. By the end of the first century, churches populated large areas of Asia Minor. This included Ephesus, Corinth, Galatia, Pergamos, Smyrna, etc. They also began to branch out into Europe, establishing churches in Greece and Rome. God used these circumstances for the upbuilding of His Kingdom. Many would have thought this scattering would be the end of the church. However, it was only the beginning. But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty (I Cor. 1:27).

We make a serious mistake when we say that all our misfortunes and sufferings are caused by sin or Satan. We need to recognize that God often uses our blighted hopes to bring out the fulfillment of His will. So when the valleys of life come, look for God there. He may have a great work that He is doing in your life. The lesson may possibly only be able to be learned in difficult times.

But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled (I Peter 3:14).

Thought for Today:

You can find special delight in God's peace after you have encountered some of life's storms.
Cross References:

For Acts 7:3: See Gen. 12:1. Acts 7:27-28: See Ex. 2:14. Acts 7:32: See Ex. 3:6. Acts 7:33-34: See Ex. 3:5,7-8,10. Acts 7:37: See Deut. 18:15. Acts 7:40: See Ex. 32:1. Acts 7:42-43: See Amos 5:25-27. Acts 7:49-50: See Is. 66:1-2. Acts 8:32-33: See Is. 53:7-8.
Word Studies:

7:19 subtilly, shrewdly, treacherously took advantage; 7:51 stiffnecked and uncircumcised, stubborn, deaf to the truth, and unrepentant; 8:9 sorcery, witchcraft, magic arts.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Sen. Barbara Boxer (CA), Rep. Corrine Brown (FL), Rep. Pete Stark (CA), and Rep. Tim Huelskamp (KS) • Country: El Salvador (5.9 million) in Central America • Major language: Spanish • Some intolerance of Protestants by government officials • 75% Catholic; 20% Protestant; .5% Baha'i; 2.5% Other; 2% None • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to make you willing to go wherever He wants to send you (Is. 6:8).
Memory Verse for the Week: Titus 2:12

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Acts 9 – 10
Highlights:

Conversion of Saul; Dorcas raised from the dead; visions to both Peter and Cornelius; Gentiles receive the Holy Spirit.
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do (Acts 9:6).

From the time of his conversion, Paul surrendered himself to the will of God. Many like to be greatly used of God, such as Paul and others were, but few are willing to pay the price. There are often hardships in a life that is completely consecrated to God. You may end up in a jungle on the other side of the world or a soup kitchen five miles away. Whatever our way of life may be, it can be difficult. The trials can be overwhelming. They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented (Heb. 11:37). However, even though it may be hard at times to follow Jesus, we can be assured that our loving Father pours out his blessings daily.

The outstanding characteristic of Paul's life was his steadfast determination to do the will of His Lord. Like Paul we also have the privilege of abandoning our self-achievements to do God's will. Denying self is and always will be a necessity in truly being a follower of Christ. Then said Jesus unto His disciples, If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me (Matt. 16:24).

Are we no longer to have a will of our own? Oh, yes! We need our own will (our determination) everyday if we are to accomplish the work which God gave to us. Each one of us needs to decide to do what God wills. When our will is merged with the will of God, we discover God's presence in our daily walk with Him. This is when He truly begins to do great things in our lives. The passion of our life gets on track with the mission that God has for us. God will begin to move greatly in you and through you. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on Me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto My Father (John 14:12).

Having a desire to do His will is the secret of having the power to live the victorious Christian life.

Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus (Phil. 3:13-14).

Thought for Today:

Surrendering to the will of God is vital to one's spiritual growth and strength.
Cross References:

For Acts 10:14: See Lev. 11:4; 20:25; Deut. 14:3,7. Acts 10:34: See Deut. 10:17. Acts 10:38: See Is. 61:1-3.
Word Studies:

10:1 centurion, a captain of an Italian troop of 100 men; 10:3 ninth hour, 3 p.m., the usual hour of evening worship among the Jews.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Ben Wallace • Government Official: Sen. Jack Reed (RI) • Country: Equatorial Guinea (466,000) in western Africa • Major language: Spanish • Freedom for churches at this time • 71% Roman Catholic; 19% ancestral spirit worship and medicine men; 6% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Pray with a heart of righteousness, keeping the truth of God, and know He will hear your prayers (Is. 26:2).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Acts 11 – 13
Highlights:

Disciples called Christians; James' death; Peter's imprisonment and deliverance; missionary journey of Paul and Barnabas.
And when He had removed him, He raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also He gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after Mine own heart, which shall fulfil all My will (Acts 13:22).

David is known as a man after Mine (God's) own heart, but we seldom hear the reason that follows, that David was one who shall fulfill all My will. What made David a man after God's own heart? Simply this, he was willing to do the will of God with his whole heart. There are times we find David's life falling out of God's will. At the end of these times, David is normally found in a state of heartfelt repentance. So, even in his times of disobedience, David still ended up following God's leadings back to the right path. We all need to let God's will be the first priority in our lives. Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth His will, him He heareth (John 9:31).

King Saul performed part of God's will insofar as it pleased himself and the people. But this double-minded man was rejected by God. God never called us to follow Him sometimes. He desires us to follow Him always. Double-mindedness has no place in God's kingdom. If we are guilty of this, we must decide to follow Him. Draw nigh to God, and He will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded (James 4:8).

Compared to David's, your abilities may not seem important to you, but don't overlook what concerns God. Each of us has a particular calling, a place that no one else can fill. And the Lord wants you to fulfill His will with the abilities you have. God has chosen you to fulfill a certain place. No one else can fulfill this place except you. As long as we make ourselves availble to do the will of God, He will use us. Perhaps He may just want us to plant a seed, or give encouragement. We may never know the outcome of a simple act of obedience until we get to heaven. Paul said: I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase (I Cor. 3:6). This position is God's purpose for your life. Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began (II Tim. 1:9).

Decide right now to be the one of whom God can say, "I have this one who shall do My will." What he expects you to be, He will truly enable you to become.

For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure (Phil. 2:13).

Thought for Today:

Our fruitfulness is dependent upon how much of God's Word controls our lives.
Cross References:

For Acts 13:22: See I Sam. 13:14; Ps. 89:20. Acts 13:33: See Ps. 2:7. Acts 13:34: See Is. 55:3. Acts 13:35: See Ps. 16:10. Acts 13:41: See Hab. 1:5. Acts 13:47: See Is. 49:6.
Word Studies:

12:1 Herod, Agrippa I, king of Judea, grandson of Herod the Great (Luke 1:5); to vex, to trouble; 12:4 four quaternions, 4 guards of 4 soldiers each; Easter, Passover; 12:15 mad, out of your mind; 13:17 high arm, great power.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Dan Murton • Government Official: Gov. John de Jongh (Virgin Islands) • Country: Eritrea (4 million) in eastern Africa • Major languages: English and Tigrinya • Religious persecution • 51% Muslim; 40% Eritrean Orthodox; 4% Catholic; 1.5% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Keep your mind on the Lord and trust Him; He will give you peace (Is. 26:3).

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk