Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Mark 4 – 5
Highlights:

Jesus' parables; storm stilled; legions of devils cast out; Jairus' daughter raised.
The Kingdom of God . . . . is like a grain of mustard seed, which, when it is sown in the earth, is less than all the seeds . . . it groweth up, and becometh greater than all herbs (Mark 4:30-32).

In the parable of the seed and the sower, the field is the world and the good seed are the children of the Kingdom. Matthew introduces the tares who represent what appear to be converts to Christ who meet with true Christians (Matt 13:25-40).

The first parable implies the importance of hearing and receiving the Word and producing a harvest. But the second one reveals the counterfeit, led by evil motives, who joins with true believers but cannot produce spiritual fruit. Sadly three parts of the good seed are lost.

The third parable which describes The Kingdom of God . . . . like a grain of mustard seed (4:30-31) is intended to build faith in the ultimate outcome of His Kingdom.

The seed will continue to grow and reproduce, and will become immensely successful, and all . . . the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea (Is.11:9). The beginning is very insignificant like a grain of mustard seed (Mark 4:31). It is a prophecy of the gradual spreading of the Kingdom throughout the world. The King of the Kingdom began as a mere babe in a manger who died on the cross with only a handful of followers. Then 120 believers met in an upper room and were filled with the Holy Spirit and in a few days thousands had received Him and were baptized (Acts 2:38-41). Today, millions have acknowledged Him as Savior and Lord. The least of all seeds becometh greater than all herbs (Mark 4:32).

Without a doubt, the Israelites in Jesus' time were looking for a Messiah who would overthrow the Roman empire. And once again, give them the freedom and the preeminence the Kingdom had enjoyed under David, as was foretold by the prophets (II Samuel 7:16; Isaiah 9:6-7; Zechariah 6:12-13). But they had not recognized the prophecy that the Messiah would come first to build a spiritual Kingdom.

The mustard seed foretells the eventual greatness of the Kingdom which will be seen by all as foretold: After these things I heard a great voice of much people in heaven, saying, Alleluia; Salvation, and glory, and honour, and power, unto the Lord our God . . . . And He hath on His vesture and on His thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS (Rev. 19:1,16).

Thought for Today:

The Lord may delay His rescue in the storms of our lives to more fully develop our faith in Him.
Cross Reference:

For Mark 4:12: See Is. 6:9-10; Jer. 5:21; Ezek. 12:2.
Word Studies:

4:24 mete, measure out, give to others; 5:19 suffered him not, did not permit him.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Steve R. Rothman (NJ) • Country: Angola (11 million) in west-central Africa • Major languages: Portuguese and Bantu dialects • Christianity is gradually being driven underground by communism • 60% Roman Catholic; 20% Protestant; 5% belief in ancestor spirits, witches, and medicine men • Prayer Suggestion: Pray for national revival, for righteousness exalts a nation (Prov. 14:34).
Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 139:7-8

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Mark 6 – 7
Highlights:

Twelve apostles sent out; John the Baptist beheaded; 5,000 fed; Jesus walking on the sea; Jesus heals many.
Howbeit in vain do they worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men (Mark 7:7).

The Pharisees were the largest religious group of their day and firmly proclaimed their belief in Scriptures, but Jesus exposed their hypocrisy. He pointed out that their error was even more serious than equal acceptance: Ye reject the Commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition (7:9). And still worse: Making the Word of God of none effect through your tradition (7:13). For instance, the Commandment of God taught the necessity of mercy, loving one's enemies, and purifying the heart from worldly desires and sinful ambitions. But instead of realizing the need of their heart being right with God, the Pharisees were satisfied with external observances.

Jesus said: Woe unto you . . . hypocrites! For ye pay tithe . . . and have omitted the weightier matters of the Law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone (Matt. 23:23).

Today none goes by the name of Pharisee, but many worshipers still ignore the fact that our Lord prescribed a far higher standard than the outward observance of the Law for His followers, saying: Ye have heard . . . Thou shalt not commit adultery; But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart (5:27-28).

We deceive ourselves if we believe there is no harm in thinking sinful thoughts so long as they are never expressed. Even in the Old Testament we read: For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he (Prov. 23:7). As we yield to His will, as revealed in His Word, our lives will be a practical, daily expression of the indwelling Christ.

The Christian is made pure in heart as the Holy Spirit imparts His holy nature at conversion and through a daily denying of self — a sincere confession of our faults, failures, and sin.

It includes genuine motives, intentions, and affections to please the Lord. A pure heart is one which immediately checks evil thoughts and lustful desires. It is one that mourns over pride, discontent, and coldness — content with nothing less than inward godliness and holiness. Those who are pure in heart . . . shall see God and are changed . . . from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord (Matt. 5:8; II Cor. 3:18).

Thought for Today:

Our daily actions, attitudes, and speech reveal what we meditate on.
Cross References:

For Mark 7:6-7: See Is. 29:13. Mark 7:10: See Ex. 20:12; 21:17; Lev. 20:9; Deut. 5:16.
Word Studies:

6:25 charger, a large dish; 7:19 purging all meats, declaring all food ceremonially clean.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Barbara Jean Jackson • Pray for Internet Radio: sponsored by Mary Lynne Taylor • Pray for Government Official: Rep. Rush D. Holt (NJ) • Country: Antigua and Barbuda (64,000) in the Leeward Islands of the eastern Caribbean • Major languages: English and local dialects • Religious freedom • 83% Protestant; 11% Roman Catholic •Prayer Suggestion: Prayer with an upright spirit and heart is a delight to God (Prov. 15:8).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Mark 8 – 9
Highlights:

4,000 fed; leaven explained; Peter's confession of faith; death and resurrection foretold; transfiguration; warning of hell.
And after six days Jesus taketh with Him Peter, and James, and John, and leadeth them up into an high mountain apart by themselves: and He was transfigured before them (Mark 9:2).

During the previous six days Jesus and His disciples had been at Caesarea Philippi ( Matt. 16:13; 17:1). Six signifies the number of man and his efforts. The next day was the seventh, the number of perfection, typifying Christ transfigured in all His glory, in the presence of Moses and Elijah. Elijah went to Heaven without dying, and Moses, though spoken of as having died, was removed by God Himself. His body was under special care of Michael the Archangel (Jude 1:9).

Although our Lord came into the world and took upon Him . . . the likeness of men (Phil. 2:7), at His transfiguration, He appeared as the glorious, eternal Son of God.

The Holy Spirit directed Matthew to write: His face did shine as the sun (Matt. 17:2), and Luke was inspired to write: The fashion of His countenance was altered, and His raiment was white and glistering (Luke 9:29), meaning He radiated with the matchless glory of His deity.

The purpose of this glorious, momentous event seemed to commemorate the sufferings of Christ — His death and resurrection — and to honor the Messiah, the promised Savior of the world. For they spoke of His decease (departure), which He should accomplish at Jerusalem (9:31).

The three apostles stood before the former great exponents of the Law and the Prophets, Moses and Elijah, great men of God. But Jesus was the fulfillment of both the Law and the prophets. Christ, by virtue of His sinless perfection as the virgin born Son of God, is far superior to the most godly men of history.

Peter made the mistake of suggesting that they build three tabernacles — one for Moses, one for Elijah, and one for Jesus. So many people today make a similar mistake and miss the Lord's best because they place too much importance on great speakers, popular tapes, and books, instead of seeking Christ through His Word. However good and helpful these may be, they cannot possibly take the place of personally reading the Bible — the one true source of spiritual life and growth!

The voice from Heaven still says: This is My beloved Son, hear Him (Mark 9:7).

Thought for Today:

The worship that Christ deserves cannot be directed toward man.
Cross References:

For Mark 8:18: See Ezek. 12:2. Mark 9:44,46,48: See Is. 66:24.
Word Studies:

9:3 fuller . . . can white them, launderer can bleach them; 9:12 set at nought, rejected; 9:13 whatsoever they listed, whatever they wanted; 9:45 halt, crippled.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Danny Murton • Pray for Internet Radio: sponsored by Carl E Miller • Pray for Government Officials: Gov. John Dalyrmple (ND), Rep. Gary G. Miller (CA), and Rep. Andre Carson (IN) • Country: Argentina (37 million) in southern South America • Major languages: Spanish and English • Religious freedom • 87% Roman Catholic; 8% Protestant; 1.5% Muslim; 1% Jewish; 2.5% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Read, study, and listen to the Word of God so that your prayers will be answered (Prov. 28:9).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Mark 10 – 11
Highlights:

Law of divorce; children blessed; rich young ruler; request of James and John; triumphal entry; cleansing the Temple.
They said unto Him, Grant unto us that we may sit, one on Thy right hand, and the other on Thy left hand, in Thy glory (Mark 10:37).

Jesus had just told His disciples that He would suffer and die at Jerusalem and arise on the third day, but they were still expecting an immediate kingdom (10:33-34).

James and John, along with their mother, asked Jesus if he would give them the two most prominent positions in His Kingdom. Their question, just like their thinking, was so off track. But Jesus was prepared to get them thinking the right way. Jesus answered them by asking a very striking question: Can ye drink of the cup that I drink of? and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? (10:38). Sharing the cup of agony, pain and humiliation that Jesus suffered was a far greater privilege than having a position of importance. Sometimes, our priorities in life can get out of sorts. We might think we need one thing, when it is really something else entirely that is of greater importance.

The rewards of life are the same way. It is easy to get wrapped up in end results. But what about life along the way? The joy should be in serving Christ. Yes, thank God, a home in heaven is being prepared for us. However, we live everyday for the honor and privilege of being the chosen vessel of God we are. Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear: (Heb. 12:28).

Christians today should be just as willing to suffer with Christ as they are to reign with Him. When the authorities commanded the Apostles not to teach in Jesus' Name, they replied: We ought to obey God rather than men. After being beaten, the Apostles departed rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for His Name (Acts 5:27-41.) We may never have to suffer beatings, imprisonment, or death for the cause of Christ. However, there will be times we will deal with our own brand of trials and tribulations. The greatest blessing that lies ahead for us is spending an eternity in the presence of God. He has promised that we will share His future honor if we share in His suffering (Rom. 8:17; II Tim. 2:12).

It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn Thy Statutes (Ps. 119:71).

Thought for Today:

A true disciple is more than just a casual follower, for he is learning to die to self daily.
Cross References:

For Mark 10:6: See Gen. 1:27; 5:2. Mark 10:7-8: See Gen. 2:24. Mark 10:19: See Ex. 20:12-16; Deut. 5:16-20. Mark 11:9: See Ps. 118:26. Mark 11:17: See Is. 56:7; Jer. 7:11.
Word Studies:

10:1 by the farther side of, beyond; people resort, multitudes gather; 11:8 strawed, spread, scattered.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Karen Hawkins • Pray for Internet Radio: sponsored by Julia Rhodes • Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Mike Quigley (IL), Rep. Martin Heinrich (NM), and Rep. Gene Green (TX) • Country: Armenia (3.8 million) southwest Transcaucasia between Europe and Asia • Major languages: Armenian and Russian • Religious freedom • 78.5% Armenian Apostolic Church; 3.3% Muslim; .05% Protestant; 17.7% Atheist/Agnostic • Prayer Suggestion: Confess and forsake your sins that you may receive mercy (Prov. 28:13).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Mark 12 – 13
Highlights:

Wicked husbandmen; tribute to Caesar; Great Commandment; widow's mite; signs of the end.
And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that He had answered them well, asked Him, Which is the first commandment of all? (Mark 12:28).

The presence of the One True God set Israel apart from all the nations of the earth and ensured their being a peaceful, prosperous, and powerful people. This glorious truth was found in Moses' key message: Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord (Deut. 6:4). Israel was called not only to confess this to an idolatrous world, but they were also to condemn the world's false gods and destroy their worship centers.

In today's reading, this grand truth was made clear by our Lord Jesus Christ. When questioned by a scribe as to what was the greatest commandment, Jesus quoted Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: and thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first Commandment (Mark 12:29-30). Jesus commends this scribe who added to love Him (God) with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices ( Mark 12:33).

This scribe knew that character and conduct are of supreme importance and that the only conclusive evidence that a man has received genuine redemption and has experienced the renewing power of the Holy Spirit is in a life that is ruled by Christ's love in every aspect..

Today there is a tendency to give diligent attention to external conduct, worship services, and religious activities, and neglect the weightier matter of the law, judgment, mercy, faith and the willingness to be kind, patient, and loving (Matt. 23:23). To be acceptable, we must express ourselves in practical ways. To say that we love the Lord means that we truly worship Him with our whole being in obedience to His Word. If our love toward God is genuine, it will reveal itself in our language and our conduct with all those we meet.

How wonderful to realize we have an exalted position in Christ — we are privileged far beyond what earthly Israel ever knew — to know the One God of Israel, manifest in the flesh, our soon coming King who said: I and My Father are One . . . the Father is in Me, and I in Him (John 10:30, 38).

Thought for Today:

Do you pray daily for those in authority over you, that you may lead a quiet and peaceful life?
Cross References:

For Mark 12:1: See Is. 5:2. Mark 12:10-11: See Ps. 118:22-23. Mark 12:19: See Deut. 25:5. Mark 12:26: See Ex. 3:3-6. Mark 12:29: See Deut. 6:4. Mark 12:30: See Deut. 6:5. Mark 12:31: See Lev. 19:18. Mark 12:32: See Deut. 4:35. Mark 12:33: See Deut. 6:5; Hos. 6:6. Mark 12:36: See Ps. 110:1. Mark 13:14: See Dan. 9:27; 11:31; 12:11. Mark 13:24: See Is. 13:10. Mark 13:26: See Dan. 7:13. Mark 13:27: See Deut. 30:4; Zech. 2:6.
Word Studies:

12:1 let it out, rented it; 12:17 Render to Caesar, Give to Caesar; 12:34 durst, dared; 12:42 two mites, a farthing (a penny).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: sponsored by Thursday Morning Prayer • Pray for Government Official: Rep. Dennis A. Ross (FL) • Country: Australia (19 million) an island continent between the Indian and Pacific Oceans • Major languages: English and native languages • Religious freedom • 40% Protestant; 27% Roman Catholic; 3% Orthodox; 2% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: When you pray, be brief and pray from your heart (Eccl. 5:2).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Mark 14 – 16
Highlights:

Plot against Jesus; Jesus' last Passover; Lord's Supper instituted; prayer in Gethsemane; Judas' betrayal; Peter's denial; Jesus on trial; Christ's crucifixion, burial, resurrection, and ascension.
Being in Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as He sat at meat, there came a woman having an alabaster box of ointment (Mark 14:3).

Simon, a former leper, had invited Jesus and the disciples to his home for supper. As they sat eating, Mary poured a cruise of oil upon the head of Jesus (John 12:1-8; Matt. 26:6-13). This very precious ointment of spikenard was valued at three hundred denari, almost a year's wages (Matt. 20:2). But the disciples were indignant saying: Why was this waste of the ointment made? For it might have been sold for more than three hundred pence, and have been given to the poor. And they murmured against her . . . . saith . . . Judas Iscariot . . . because he was a thief, and had the bag (Mark 14:4-5; John12:4-6).

Mary's anointing of Jesus reveals an important contrast between her insight and devotion to the Lord and the insensitive response of the disciples. We read that she brake the box, and poured it on His head (Mark14:3). Her actions not only demonstrated her deep devotion and love for the Savior but also the keen insight she had into His true identity and purpose. This is made clear by Christ's own interpretation (14:6-9).

Her actions revealed that she knew Christ as King. Since such an extravagant gift was only lavished on a king. She knew Him as Priest since as our Royal Priest, He received the anointing (14:8). And she also grasped that fact that He must die. Jesus had revealed this fact to the disciples but they hadn't understood. His anointing was an act of faith and devotion. Like Mary, we should all understand that the reason for His death was her (our) sin and the significance of His death and resurrection was her (our) salvation.

Mary turned all attention on the Lord and His person. Judas and the disciples turned the issue from Christ onto the poor. The disciples were motivated by greed and jealousy. This also shows that the spiritual always takes precedence over the social. To turn the Gospel of the Savior into just a social Gospel is to pervert the message of the cross.

Like Mary, as Christ followers we should always take advantage of any opportunity to serve the Savior according to our capacity and ability. Jesus has said: She hath done what she could: she is come aforehand to anoint my body to the burying (Mark 14:8).

Thought for Today:

Jesus' death on the cross brought victory over the power of sin. By His sacrifice we receive life everlasting!
Cross References:

For Mark 14:27: See Zech. 13:7. Mark 14:62: See Ps. 110:1; Dan. 7:13. Mark 15:24: See Ps. 22:18. Mark 15:28: See Is. 53:12. Mark 15:29: See Ps. 22:7-8. Mark 15:34: See Ps. 22:1. Mark 16:19: See Ps. 110:1.
Word Studies:

14:31 spake the more vehemently, protested emphatically; 14:65 buffet Him, hit Him with their fists; 15:15 scourged, whipped; 15:38 twain, two; 16:16 damned, condemned to eternal hell.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Kurt Schrader (OR) • Country: Austria (8.1 million) in central Europe • Major language: German • Religious freedom • 78% Catholic; 6% Protestant; 3% Other Christian; 2% Muslim; .1% Jewish; 1.9% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Pray that God will teach you His ways and transform your life by His Word (Is. 2:3).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Luke 1
Highlights:

Virgin birth of Jesus foretold; Mary's visit to Elizabeth; Mary's praise; birth of John the Baptist.
The angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favor with God. And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call His name JESUS. He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto Him the throne of His father David (Luke 1:30-32).

Then we read that Mary arose in those days, and went into the hill country with haste . . . into the house of Zacharias a priest, whose wife, Elisabeth, was Mary's cousin.

When Mary arrived, she greeted Elisabeth. And, immediately, Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost: And she spake out with a loud voice, and said, Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? (1:39-43).

How delightful this must have been to Mary's heart. Instead of suspicion there was salutation and miraculous revelation from Elisabeth who felt so privileged and yet unworthy of being in the presence of the mother of her Messiah.

Following this, the Holy Spirit speaks through Mary, saying: My soul doth magnify the Lord, And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour . . . . For He that is mighty hath done to me great things; and Holy is His name and His mercy is on them that fear Him from generation to generation (1:46-50).

After being unable to speak, Zacharias was filled with the Holy Spirit, and prophesied, saying, Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for He hath visited and redeemed His people, And hath raised up an horn of salvation for us in the house of His servant David . . . . To give knowledge of salvation unto His people by the remission of their sins (1:67-69,77).

The greatness of that promised Child was threefold. It related first to His divine origin. He was to be called the Son of the Highest (1:32) and shalt call His name JESUS (1:31) because He shall save His people from their sins (Matt.1:21). Secondly, not only does Jesus deliver us from the curse of sin, but He raises us to the high heritage of adopted sons (Gal. 4:5; Eph. 1:5). And, most glorious of all, He shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of His Kingdom there shall be no end (Luke 1:33).

Thought for Today:

Magnifying and praising the Lord are two of our most blessed privileges.
Word Studies:

1:40 saluted, greeted, embraced; 1:46 magnify, exalt, praise; 1:54 holpen, helped.
Cross References:

For Luke 1:17: See Mal. 4:5-6. Luke 1:50: See Ps. 103:17. Luke 1:53: See Ps. 107:9. Luke 1:71: See Ps. 106:10. Luke 1:76: See Mal. 3:1. Luke 1:79: See Is. 9:1-2; 59:8.
16Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Pat Meehan (PA), Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (RI), and Sec'y. Hilda L. Solis (Dept. of Labor) • Country: Azerbaijan (7.7 million) southern Transcaucasia between Europe and Asia • Major languages: Azeri and Russian • Religious freedom • 65% Shi'a Muslim; 30% Sunni Muslim; 2% Russian Orthodox; 2% Armenian Apostolic; 1% Jewish • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to make you willing to go wherever He wants to send you (Is. 6:8).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Luke 2 – 3
Highlights:

Birth of Jesus; shepherds' adoration; Simeon's and Anna's prophecies; return to Nazareth; Jesus among the doctors; ministry of John the Baptist; baptism of Jesus; genealogy of Jesus through Mary.
And it came to pass, that after three days they found Him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions (Luke 2:46).

Now His (Jesus) parents went to Jerusalem every year at the Feast of Passover (Luke 2:41). Each year every man in Israel must celebrate three feasts: the Feast of Passover/Unleavened Bread; the Feast of Weeks/Pentecost; and the Feast of Tabernacles (Deut. 16:16). When He was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem. . . . When they had fulfilled the days, as they returned, the child Jesus tarried behind . . . and His (parents) . . . knew not of it (Luke 2:42-43).

In all of the preparation for returning to Nazareth, His parents, Mary and Joseph, were under the impression that He must be in the company of other boys in the caravan. Up to this time in His life, being perfect as He was, they had never had any reason to question His absolute obedience, submission, and cooperation. At evening they discovered He was not with them.

When Mary questioned Him: Why hast thou thus dealt with us? He answered: wist ye not that I must be about My Father's business? (2:48-49). I must be about My Father's business parallel with His words later in life: I must work the works of Him that sent Me (John 9:4). Jesus was always found doing His Father's will.

His devotion to being about His Father's business drew Him to the Temple, but His submission to His Father's will caused Him also to return to Nazareth, and was subject unto them (Luke 2:51). The One to whom all things are subject willingly submitted Himself to His earthly parents.

In this age of rebellion, there is a growing number of young people who do not submit to God ordained parental authority, The first Commandment with promise (Eph. 6:2). Many parents also rebel against restrictions which are placed on them on the job, at church, or in the community, setting a wrong example for their children.

We are told to: let every soul be subject unto the . . . power . . . of God (Romans 13:1-2). Whatsoever we ask, we receive of Him, because we keep His Commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight (I John 3:22).

Thought for Today:

Talking with our Heavenly Father in prayer is vital to living a victorious Christian life.
Cross References:

For Luke 2:23: See Ex. 13:2,12. Luke 2:24: See Lev. 12:8. Luke 2:32: See Is. 9:2; 42:6; 49:6. Luke 3:4-6: See Is. 40:3-5.
Word Studies:

2:7 swaddling clothes, linen cloth wrapped around an infant; 2:46 doctors, the rabbis who were the instructors in the Law; 3:1 tetrarch, ruler of a fourth part or one of four rulers of a country or province.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: in honor of Lee Rutherford's Birthday • Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Jerry Lewis (CA) and Rep. Patrick J. Tiberi (OH) • Country: Bahamas (284,000) in the northern portion of the West Indies • Major languages: English and some Creole • Religious freedom • 72% Protestant; 26% Roman Catholic; • Prayer Suggestion: Pray with a heart of righteousness, keeping the truth of God, and know He will hear your prayers (Is. 26:2).
Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 139:16

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Luke 4 – 5
Highlights:

Temptation of Jesus; His teachings; healings; miracles; call of Matthew.
He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up: and, as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day (Luke 4:16).

During the Sabbath service there were two lessons read. The first was always taken from the Pentateuch, the five books of Moses, and the other from the prophets. No doubt, Jesus was invited to speak since our Lord was well known in His hometown and had recently gained a great reputation as a preacher and a healer. He stood up for to read. And there was delivered unto Him the book of the prophet Esaias (Isaiah) (4:16-17).

It could be no coincidence that the opening words that the Lord read contained a clear mention of the three Persons of the Trinity: the Holy Spirit, the Father, and Himself, the Anointed One. And He read: The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He (God) hath anointed Me to preach the Gospel to the poor. He gives eternal treasures not material wealth to the poor; healing, not freedom from trial to the hurt and brokenhearted; freedom from sin to the captives; the recovering of sight to those groping in darkness; liberty to the bruised in spirit; and freedom to all imprisoned ones. The Great Physician was now in their midst ready to heal the brokenhearted (4:18-19; Isaiah 61:1-2).

After closing the book: He began to say unto them, This day is this Scripture fulfilled (Luke 4:21).

You can imagine how startled the little congregation was when Jesus said that He, their carpenter's son, was the expected Messiah. Aware of their thoughts of scorn and unbelief, the Lord reminds them that in rejecting Him, they would be rejected for their unbelief. Even as Israel was rejected for its unbelief during the days of Elijah when a despised Phoenician woman living near Sidon was mightily blessed with God's mercies (I Kings 17:9-24) and Naaman, the Syrian leper, was healed of his leprosy (II Kings 5:1-14). The messiah was praising a Syrian and a Sidonian, both Gentiles. And, as one man, the congregation interrupted the worship service, seized the Preacher, and attempted to put Him to death by pushing Him over a rocky precipice (Luke 4:29). But He passing through the midst of them went His way (4:30). As far as we know, He never returned to Nazareth.

Jesus, the Anointed One, In His own country. . . . He could there do no mighty work. . . . And He marvelled because of their unbelief (Mark 6:4-6).

Thought for Today:

Every Christian is responsible to take part in the work of God.
Cross References:

For Luke 4:4: See Deut. 8:3. Luke 4:8: See Deut. 6:13-14. Luke 4:10-11: See Ps. 91:11-12. Luke 4:12: See Deut. 6:16. Luke 4:18-19: See Is. 61:1-2. Luke 5:14: See Lev. 14:1-32.
Word Studies:

4:29 brow of the hill, edge of a cliff; 5:9 draught, catch; 5:27 a publican, a tax collector for Rome; 5:36 rent, tear.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Pam Murton • Pray for Internet Radio: sponsored by Lt. Col. Walter and Penny Swanson • Pray for Government Officials: Gov. Haley Barbour (MS) and Rep. Patrick T. McHenry (NC) • Country: Bahrain (629,000) 11 islands in the Persian Gulf near Saudi Arabia • Major languages: Arabic and English • No evangelical work is permitted • 85% Muslim; 5% Roman Catholic; 2% Protestant; 1% Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Keep your mind on the Lord and trust Him; He will give you peace (Is. 26:3).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Luke 6 – 7
Highlights:

Jesus and the Sabbath; twelve chosen; Sermon on the Mount; healing and miracles; John the Baptist's questions; Jesus anointed.
Why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but perceivest not the beam that is in thine own eye? . . . Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in thy brother's eye (Luke 6:41-42).

Jesus did not say that the mote did not exist, nor did He say that we were not to take action concerning it. But, He does say, first attend to the beam in your own eye; then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in thy brother's eye.

The judge must pass sentence upon criminals. It is his responsibility to God and to society. The minister of God must reprove, rebuke, exhort (II Tim. 4:1-2). God has said, the wicked . . . shalt surely die. But, if we fail to warn the wicked of his sin, God has also said: that wicked man shall die in his iniquity, but He will hold us responsible. But His blood will I require at thine hand (Ezek. 3:18).

It is our responsibility to recognize the mote for what it is; but we must first consider the beam and examine our attitude toward the sinner, as well as the sin. Do we possess the attitude of David, who said: Rivers of waters run down mine eyes, because they keep not Thy Law (Ps.119:136). This is in contrast to those who can easily overlook their own faults and failures and at the same time critically discuss another's conduct, imply evil motives to their deeds, repeat slander, possibly exaggerating it, and take sinful pleasure in condemning others. This unchristian judgment reveals self-righteousness.

It can even become a devilish desire to slander and destroy another. It is this beam of self-righteousness and failure to express God's mercy and love that Jesus spoke of when He said: Cast out first the beam out of thine own eye.

Surely those who are quick to mouth uncharitable comments toward others have joined with Satan, the accuser of our brethren . . . before our God day and night (Rev. 12:10). It is our responsibility to restore others. Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted (Gal. 6:1).

We all need to remember: Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults. . . . Search me, O God, and know my heart (Ps. 19:12-13; 139:23-24).

Thought for Today:

The extent of our love for Christ is revealed by our spirit of compassion or condemnation toward one another.
Cross References:

For Luke 7:22: See Is. 61:1. Luke 7:27: See Mal. 3:1.
Word Studies:

6:11 communed, discussed; 7:14 bier, open coffin on which a corpse was carried to burial.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Micheal Moore • Pray for Country: Bangladesh (125.7 million) in southern Asia • Major languages: Bangla and English • Present religious freedom may become limited • 86.6% Muslim; 12.1% Hindu; .6% Buddhist; .3% Christian; .4% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Cry and pour out your soul in prayer in time of affliction (Is. 26:16).

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk