Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Matthew 10 – 11
Highlights:

Twelve disciples chosen; questions sent by John the Baptist; great invitation.
And as ye go, preach, saying, The Kingdom of Heaven is at hand (Matt. 10:7).

Following His request for prayer to send forth labourers into His harvest (Matt. 9:36-38), Jesus chooses seventy also, and sent them two and two before His face into every city and place, whither He Himself would come (Luke 10:1).

Jesus chose just ordinary men from the communities in which He preached to send out as lambs among wolves (10:3). Wolves are the natural enemy of sheep. Although wolves often appear as sheep (Matt. 7:15), beneath the surface the hostility against Christ and the Lord's work never goes away — it is relentless. The wolf's eyes, teeth, and muscles are always poised to destroy the one whose conversation, conduct, and conscience are set on glorifying Christ. With heartless cruelty, the world pursues Christ and His disciples as did Herod, the Pharisees, the rulers, and even Pilate who found no fault in this man (Luke 23:4) yet cooperated in putting Christ to death.

The Christian has a "sheep-like" nature, but is not "sheepish." The sheep is a symbol of innocence, not cowardice. The Christian can stand bold in the face of the fiercest enemy, for he fears not them which kill the body. . . but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell (10:28). The disciple is not above his Master (10:24). And the Christian has no reason to expect kindness from a hostile world, when his Master faced fierce enemies. Christian persecution, often in the form of pressure to compromise, has always been a test of sincerity. Persecution immediately divides the professor from the possessor; it separates the tares from the wheat. Times of peace have too often become a time of ease, lukewarmness and indifference.

The diciples were warned to beware of men (10:17). Sheep could not defend themselves, consequently they needed to stay close to the Shepherd.

Jesus continued by saying that the Kingdom of Heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force (11:12) meaning that the Kingdom will be entered by men and women who will not be intimidated or stopped by friends, peer pressure or fierce opposition. His true disciples, like the Apostles who were beaten for witnessing of their faith in Christ, rejoiced that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for His name (Acts 5:40-42).

Thought for Today:

We will find new joy in our Christian lives when we learn to yield our will and do God's will.
Cross References:

For Matt. 10:11, 35-36: See Mic. 7:6. Matt. 11:5: See Is. 35:5; 61:1. Matt. 11:10: See Mal. 3:1. Matt. 11:23: See Ezek. 26:20; 31:14; 32:18,24. Matt. 11:29: See Jer. 6:16.
Word Studies:

10:25 Beelzebub, prince of evil; 10:29 a farthing, a small coin of little value; 10:35 variance, division, disagreement; 11:20 upbraid, rebuke.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: sponsored by Ruben Thuillard • Pray for Staff: Kevin Jennings • Pray for Country: Venezuela (23 million) on the northern coast of South America • Major languages: Spanish and Indian dialects • Religious freedom • 94% Roman Catholic; 1% Protestant; 1% Indian pagan religions • Prayer Suggestion: Praise the Lord for His wonderful blessings (Ps. 150:2).
Memory Verse for the Week: James 1:17
:angel:

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Matthew 12

Highlights:

Jesus, Lord of the Sabbath; controversy with Pharisees; unpardonable sin; Christ's death and resurrection foretold.
For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth (Matt. 12:40).

While our Lord was healing great multitudes, the pharisees held a council against Him, how they might destroy Him (Matt. 12:13-14). The hatred and violence of the religious leaders reached a climax when one was brought unto Jesus possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and He healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw. And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David (12:22-23)?

Yes, the people were convinced that Jesus fulfilled the prophecies of the Messiah. But in the minds of the religious leaders, this man was a threat to "their" authority and must be stopped.

To destroy the people's belief in Jesus as the Messiah the religious leaders said that He did cast out devils, but that it was through the power of the devil (12:24). By knowingly seeking to attribute the miracle ministry of the Holy Spirit through Christ to that of Satan, the religious leaders had committed the unpardonable sin (Mark 3:29).

The religious leaders continued questioning Jesus, saying Master we would see a sign from You (Matt. 12:38). They had already had hundreds of signs and they had just seen a marvelous miracle. He answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas (12:39). But with these words Jesus was also pointing out to these religious men the condition of their hearts. When Jonah preached to the heathen city of Nineveh, the people there recognized God's Word and repented. But even when confronted by the Son of God Himself, these experts in the Law would not turn, saying instead: Out of Galilee ariseth no prophet (John 7:52).

Jesus then referred to the Queen of Sheba, a Gentile who had come a great distance to hear the wisdom of God from Solomon. This was also a rebuke to the Pharisees, who would not listen although a greater than Solomon is here (Matt. 12:42). Like the Pharisees this will be the undoing of all who refuse to hear the One whose wisdom is from everlasting; of whom Paul said, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God (I Cor. 1:24).

Thought for Today:

What great foolishness it is to question the Scriptures and profess to be wiser than Jesus Christ Himself!
Cross References:

For Matt. 12:7: See Hos. 6:6. Matt. 12:18-21: See Is. 42:1-4. Matt. 12:40: See Jon. 1:17.
Word Studies:

12:1 corn, grain fields; 12:5 profane, violate or break the law; 12:29 spoil his goods, take away his possessions; 12:44 garnished, ready for use.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: In memory of Al Joslyn • Pray for Government Officials: Sen. Benjamin L. Cardin (MD) and Rep. Denny R. Rehberg (MT) • Country: Vietnam (78.5 million) in Southeast Asia • Major languages: Vietnamese and French • Very strict control of Christians in the North; the South has been more lenient but is getting tighter • 60% Buddhist; 8% Catholic; 1% Protestant; 3% Cao Dai; 2% Hoa Hao; 3% Islam; 13% Other; 10% None • Prayer Suggestion: Let your prayers be praise to the Lord (Ps. 150:6).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Matthew 13 – 14
Highlights:

Jesus' parables; execution of John the Baptist; feeding of 5,000; Jesus walks on water.
All these things spake Jesus . . . saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world (Matt. 13:34-35).

Jesus gave seven prophetic parables which puzzled the disciples who said: Why speakest thou unto them in parables? (13:10). In answer to the disciples' question, Jesus quoted from Isaiah, saying This people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed (Matt.13:15; Is.6:9).

The seven parables should be considered as vital aspects of the mysteries of the Kingdom of Heaven (13:11). Jesus first describes four kinds of responses from those who hear His Word. Some react with self-destroying indifference; they represent the seed that fell by the way side, and the fowls . . . devoured them (13:4). The fowls imply internal disinterest as well as external evil influences. Others seem receptive to His Word, but soon lose interest; these are like the seed sown upon stony places (13:5), meaning solid rock beneath a very shallow covering of soil. Because the seed sprouts quickly and springs up, these "converts" appear so promising, so full of life, and anon with joy receiveth it (13:20). When they are faced with persecution, opposition, or even the rebuke of God's Word, they are offended (13:21) because there is no real depth to their commitment.

Still others become too occupied with the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches (13:22). They represent seed that falls on good soil, people who are neither indifferent, as in the first example, nor shallow, as in the second. However, they are double-minded, allowing other interests to hold equal devotion within their hearts. The tragic result is that, like weeds left in a "good garden," the Word of God is eventually crowded out by other "good things" which choke the Word and it becometh unfruitful (13:22). But some fell into good ground (13:8). This represents the few who not only believe God's Word, but allow it to break up the rocky ground — areas that have not been yielded to God — and root out the weeds and thorns which represent mixed motives that hinder spiritual effectiveness.

The extent of our fruitfulness depends on how thoroughly we weed out our material, social, political, or other interests to allow our good seed to produce some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty (13:23).

Thought for Today:

We should be devoted to Christ and His interests if we expect the Lord's blessings.
Cross References:

For Matt. 13:14-15: See Is. 6:9-10. Matt. 13:32: See Ps. 104:12; Ezek. 17:23; 31:6; Dan. 4:12. Matt. 13:35: See Ps. 78:2. Matt. 13:41: See Zeph. 1:3. Matt. 13:43: See Dan. 12:3.
Word Studies:

13:5 forthwith, quickly; 13:15 is waxed gross, has grown hardened; 13:20 anon . . . receiveth it, immediately accepts it; 13:21 dureth for a while, continues only a short time; 13:25 tares, weeds — symbolic of satanic activities; 13:33 leaven, seemingly insignificant yeast that affects the whole; meal, ground grain; 14:8 charger, large platter.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: sponsored by Leon & Ann Hataway • Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Steve J. Scalise (LA), Rep. Brian Higgins (NY), and Rep. Lloyd Doggett (TX) • Country: Yemen (17 million) in southwestern Arabia • Major language: Arabic • Attempts to convert Muslims to Christ are fiercely opposed • 98% Muslim; .03% Christian (all secret believers) • Prayer Suggestion: The heart of the wise teacheth his mouth, and addeth learning to his lips (Prov. 16:23).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Matthew 15 – 17
Highlights:

Scribes and Pharisees rebuked: many healed; 4,000 fed; Peter's confession of Christ; death and resurrection foretold; transfiguration; question of tribute money.
And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the Living God (Matt. 16:16).

Jesus had now reached a major turning point in His mission. His marvelous miracle ministry was finished. After feeding the 4,000 men, besides women and children, near Capernum, He dismissed the crowds, got into a boat, and went across the lake to Magdala (15:38-39) near where the Jordan enters the Lake of Gennesaret. He arrived in the vicinity of the principal source of the Jordan at Caesarea Philippi, the northernmost city of the Promised Land.

Caesarea Philippi is located at the foot of Mount Hermon. It was here in the midst of prominent and popular idol worship that Jesus asked His disciples: Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? (16:13). It could have been a very troubling question, since the religious leaders of the nation all violently opposed Him.

Furthermore, Jesus had not fulfilled the hopes of the people for a revolution. Thus, some of the crowds that once had followed Him with great enthusiasm, had left Him (John 6:15,66).

In response to His question, the disciples answered: Some say that Thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets (Matt.16:14). At this time, none regarded Him as the Messiah. But when He said: whom do you say that I am? without hesitation, Peter said: You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God (16:16).

Matthew, throughout his Gospel, clearly points out how Jesus of Nazareth fulfilled "all" the prophecies concerning the Messiah. But, most importantly, the revelation was inward, as the Lord confirmed: Flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but My Father which is in Heaven (16:17). The world will always be confused as to whether Jesus was a prophet or just a good man. Not until the eyes of our understanding have been opened by the Holy Spirit, can we receive the true revelation of who Jesus really is.

All who confess their sins and see their need of a Savior recognize Him as their only hope of eternal life. And, like Matthew, millions have forsaken all to follow Him. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? (Matt.16:26).

Thought for Today:

No one will ever recognize Jesus as Lord through human reasoning.
Cross References:

For Matt. 15:4: See Ex. 20:12; 21:17; Lev. 20:9; Deut. 5:16. Matt. 15:8-9: See Is. 29:13. Matt. 16:27: See Ps. 62:12; Prov. 24:12.
Word Studies:

16:6 leaven, false teaching; 16:18 gates of hell, the powers of Satan; 17:25 prevented him, anticipated what Peter would say and spoke before Peter could.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Country: Zaire, Democratic Republic of the Congo (63 million) in south-central Africa • Major languages: French and Lingala • Limited religious freedom • 42% Roman Catholic; 28% Protestant; 12% magical practices, ancestor worship, and witchcraft; 1% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Study and heed the instruction of the Word of God that your prayers may be heard (Prov. 1:28-30).
Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 139:1-2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Matthew 18 – 20
Highlights:

The child and humility; importance of forgiveness; marriage and divorce; rich young ruler; laborers in the vineyard; request of James and John.
Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? (Matt. 18:21).

Jesus' ministry in Galilee was finished, and great multitudes followed Him and He healed them there (19:1-2). Instead of entering Judea by the direct route through Samaria. He took the most lengthy southeastern route through Peraea, east of the Jordan, and through the cities of Decapolis, that extended south to the Dead Sea. The ruler of this district was Herod Antipas, the one who executed John the Baptist for his outspoken views against Herod's divorce and remarriage (see Matthew 14:1,3; Luke 3:1,19).

The vicious religious leaders had followed Him from Jerusalem, north to Galilee. And they continued to be a part of the crowd. And now, in Herod's territory, they asked: Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause? (Matt. 19:3). The religious leaders thought that if our Lord took the position of John the Baptist, possibly Herod Antipas might execute Him. But they thought whatever Jesus said, it would at least bring division among His followers.

The popular trend of the day, as well as the followers of Hillel, a prominent rabbinical school, taught that divorce was allowable for almost any reason. But there was a strong, conservative, minority school, followers of Shammai, that held to the biblical view. In our Lord's Sermon on the Mount, He taught the strict view of marriage, with no exceptions.

As always, Jesus quotes the Scriptures to answer their question, saying: Have ye not read, that He which made them at the beginning made them male and female, And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? . . . What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder (19:4-6).

We cannot relive the past and are most grateful for God's mercy and forgiveness to all repentant sinners. Many church members in our corrupt society do not realize the God ordained seriousness of marriage or divorce.

God is a loving Father who wants the best for our lives, that is why he offers the free gift of forgiveness of sin. Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins (James 5:20).

Thought for Today:

When praying the Lord's Prayer, you are asking God to forgive you in the same way you forgive others!
Cross References:

For Matt. 18:16: See Deut. 19:15. Matt. 19:4: See Gen.1:27; 5:2. Matt. 19:5: See Gen. 2:24. Matt. 19:7: See Deut. 24:1-4. Matt. 19:18: See Ex. 20:13-16; Deut. 5:16-20. Matt. 19:19: See Ex. 20:12; Lev. 19:18; Deut. 5:16.
Word Studies:

18:6 offend, do wrong, cause to sin; 19:14 Suffer, Permit; 20:3 third hour, about 9 a.m.; 20:11 murmured against the goodman of the house, were indignant, critical of their employer; 20:15 Is thine eye evil?, Are you begrudging, jealous, or envious?; 20:26 minister, servant.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Michael and Deedee Moore Anniversary • Pray for Internet Radio: sponsored by James & JoAnn Casteel • Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Tom Price (GA) and Rep. Dennis J. Kucinich (OH) • Country: Zambia (10 million) in south-central Africa • Major languages: English and 70 indigenous languages • Religious freedom • 30% Roman Catholic; 25% Protestant; 24% ancestor worship, magic, and witchcraft; 19% cults • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord for wisdom and discernment (Prov. 2:1-6).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Matthew 21 – 22
Highlights:

Jesus' triumphal entry; Temple cleansed; fig tree cursed; more parables; tribute to Caesar; greatest Commandment.
All this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, Tell ye the daughter of Sion, Behold, thy King cometh unto thee, meek, and sitting upon an ass, and a colt the foal of an ass (Matt. 21:4-5).

Jesus was on His way into Jerusalem on Sunday morning (Palm Sunday), to present Himself as King of the Kingdom of Heaven. He began on foot from Bethany, which is only about two miles from Jerusalem.

Near Bethphage, located between Bethany and Jerusalem on the Mount of Olives, He sent His disciples to bring Him an ass and its colt. More than 500 years before this, the prophet Zechariah foretold that the King of kings would one day appear, riding upon an ass (Zech. 9:9).

Undoubtedly, a large crowd had followed Him. Also additional crowds of pilgrims had joined them who were on their way to Jerusalem for the Passover Feast. They hailed the Lord as King, spreading their garments in the way as men had done formerly for kings (II Kings 9:13). They strewed His path with branches from the trees and cried: Hosanna to the son of David. They hailed the Lord as the Messiah, crying out the Messianic greeting: Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord (Matt. 21:9).

When the chief priests and scribes saw the wonderful things that He did, and the children crying in the Temple, and saying, Hosanna to the Son of David; they were sore displeased, And said unto Him, Hearest thou what these say? (21:15-16).

To these learned men of the Scriptures, Jesus responded: Yea; have you never read, Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings thou hast perfected praise? (21:16). The Pharisees had agreed that if any man did confess that He (Jesus) was Christ, he should be put out of the synagogue (John 9:22). But they were powerless that day, because of the overwhelming acclaim Jesus was receiving from the people.

In the Temple, He assumed supreme authority as the King of Peace. And soon He will return to gather his own to ever be with the Lord (I Thes. 4:17). And the hostile powers of the world will be just as powerless to withstand Him when He returns with His mighty angels . . . taking vengeance on them that know not God (II Thes.1:7-10).

Thought for Today:

Unless humility is shown before God and man, it is of little value.
Cross References:

For Matt. 21:5: See Is. 62:11; Zech. 9:9. Matt. 21:9: See Ps. 118:26. Matt. 21:13: See Is. 56:7; Jer. 7:11. Matt. 21:16: See Ps. 8:2. Matt. 21:33: See Ps. 80:8-9; Is. 5:1-2. Matt. 21:42: See Ps. 118:22-23. Matt. 22:24: See Deut. 25:5. Matt. 22:32: See Ex. 3:6. Matt. 22:37: See Deut. 6:5. Matt. 22:39: See Lev. 19:18. Matt. 22:44: See Ps. 110:1.
Word Studies:

21:2 over against you, ahead of you; facing you; 21:8 strawed . . . in the way, spread in His path; 21:33 husbandmen, tenant farmers; 21:42 The Stone . . . is become the Head of the corner, Christ (Ps.118:22-23) who is the Chief Corner Stone (Eph. 2:20; I Pet. 2:6).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Rita Guerra • Pray for Government Officials: Gov. Paul R. LePage (ME) and Rep. Alan Nunnelee (MS) • Country: Zimbabwe (11.2 million) in south-central Africa • Major languages: English and Shona • Limited religious freedom • 59% Christian; 35% Traditional; 2% Muslim; 4% Other/non-Religious (Hindu, Buddhist, Baha'i, Jewish) • Prayer Suggestion: Let your faith in the Word of God overrule all fears (Prov. 3:6).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Matthew 23 – 24
Highlights:

Hypocrisy denounced; destruction of the Temple foretold; signs of Christ's return.
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation (Matt. 23:14).

During our Lord's last day in the temple, He exposed the false and evil character of the religious leaders. The pretended sanctity of the Pharisees and the orthodoxy of the scribes had won for both of them a reputation of religious superiority. Then there were the wealthy Sadducees, who neither pretended or practiced biblical orthodoxy (21:23-22:34).

At this time Jesus proclaimed His strongest denunciation for these religious leaders calling them blind guides. . . . hypocrites . . . full of . . . all uncleanness. . . . of hypocrisy and iniquity. . . . Ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell? (23:13-33). It was the strongest, sternest, severest pronouncement of judgment in His entire ministry; somewhat paralleling that in Galilee when He denounced the unbelieving cities in which most of His miracles took place (11:20-24).

After leaving the Temple, His disciples, as loyal, patriotic Jews had done for centuries, were admiring the marvelous structure of the Temple buildings. They had especially noticed the greatness of the stones and were astounded when Jesus declared that this same temple would all be torn down, not one stone left upon another (24:1-2, Mark 13:1).

As He sat upon the Mount of Olives, His disciples asked Him privately, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of Thy coming, and of the end of the world? ( Matt. 24:3).

There can be no question about the exactness of the details Jesus prophesied, but Bible teachers disagree as to whether He refered to the destruction of the Temple in 70 A.D under Titus, the still-to-be fulfilled tribulation, or His return in the end times.

Jesus begins with: Take heed that no man deceive you (24:4). This statement is of utmost importance since we can become too concerned over the year and the exact time of Christ's coming. But, He makes it clear that this should not be our primary concern.

The unsaved need to know that His love and saving grace are also avalible to them. Thus our part, as believers, is to proclaim the praises of Christ to the world. Jesus said to occupy until He comes (Luke 19:13). Jesus has commissioned us to Go . . . teach all nations . . . to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you (Matt. 28:18-20).

Thought for Today:

Is your life an outflow of the love of Christ each day?
Cross References:

For Matt. 23:39: See Ps. 118:26. Matt. 24:15: See Dan. 9:27; 11:31; 12:11. Matt. 24:29: See Is. 13:10; 24:23; 34:4; Ezek. 32:7; Joel 2:10,31; 3:15; Zeph. 1:15. Matt. 24:30: See Dan. 7:13. Matt. 24:31: See Deut. 30:4; Is. 27:13; Zech. 2:6. Matt. 24:38: See Gen. 6:3-5; 7:7.
Word Studies:

23:5 phylacteries, Scripture texts in small boxes worn by some Jews to impress others of their religious zeal; 23:15 compass, to "go about," or "go around," sea and land; 23:29 garnish, decorate, adorn.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Clarence Rathbone • Pray for Internet Radio: sponsored by Mr & Mrs Nick Angelos • Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Steve Southerland II (FL), Rep. Vicky Hartzler (MO), and Rep. Joe R. Pitts (PA) • Country: Afghanistan (22.7 million) in central Asia • Major languages: Pastu and Afghan Persian (Dari) • Hostile to Christian evangelization. For a Muslim to convert to Christianity is automatic execution • 97.5% Muslim; 1.5% Parsee; .35% Hindu; .1% Traditional ethic; .1% Baha'i; .02% Christian; .02% Sikh; .01% non-Religious • Prayer Suggestion: Seek God as more important than food to satisfy your hunger (Prov. 3:13-18).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Matthew 25 – 26
Highlights:

Parable of ten virgins; of talents; judgments of the nations; last Passover; Lord's Supper; Christ's agony and prayer; Judas' betrayal; Jesus on trial; Peter's denial.
And He went a little further, and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from Me: nevertheless not as I will, but as Thou wilt (Matt. 26:39).

Caiaphas was high priest that year as appointed by the Roman governor. After Lazarus was raised from the dead, the dismayed religious authorities consulted together about how to kill the Miracle Worker. Caiaphas justified putting Jesus to death saying that one man should die for the people (John 11:50). This simply meant that there could be no better opportunity for showing their loyalty to Rome than by crucifying this Person who claimed to be King of the Jews. Thus, from that day forth they took counsel together for to put Him to death (11:53).

Jesus' popularity was the only thing that prevented them from immediately following through with their plan to assassinate Him (Luke 20:19; 22:2). But undoubtedly, to their great surprise, one of the twelve, Judas, volunteered to betray Him (Matt. 26:14-16). Knowing His destiny, Jesus had been agonizing in prayer and His sweat was as it were great drops of blood (Luke 22:44).

Judas arrived in the Garden leading an armed mob of soldiers and, before them all, he approached Jesus; And when he rose up from prayer . . . behold a multitude, and he that was called Judas, one of the twelve, went before them, and drew near unto Jesus (Luke 22:45,47) and said: Hail, Master; and kissed Him (Matt. 26:49). Although Jesus had the power to defend Himself, He does not use it (26:52-53). Then, as we read the full account, we see an odd reversal of roles as Jesus, the victim, dominates all that takes place.

The high priest, acting as judge, also became the accuser of the Son of God, and finally, in a frenzy of anger, demanded: I adjure thee by the living God, that Thou tell us whether Thou be the Christ, the Son of God (26:63). Jesus answers, Ye say that I am (Luke 22:70).

That single admission condemns Jesus to death, for the members of the Sanhedrin had a different expectation of the Messiah. They wanted a conqueror to set them free by force. Jesus knew that only one thing — his death — would truly set them free. For that reason He came to Earth.

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life (John 3:16).

Thought for Today:

Obedience to His Word and seeking Him in prayer each day is a means God uses to strengthen us in the hour of testing.
Cross References:

For Matt. 26:31: See Zech. 13:7. Matt. 26:64: See Ps. 110:1; Dan. 7:13.
Word Studies:

25:27 exchangers, moneylenders; usury, interest on money loaned; 26:15 covenanted, established an agreement; 26:47 staves, clubs; 26:63 I adjure Thee, I charge You under oath before God.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: sponsored by Pat Boehme • Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Chuck Fleischmann (TN), Rep. Sam Johnson (TX), and Sen. Patty Murray (WA) • Country: Albania (3.1 million) in southeastern Europe • Major languages: Albanian and Greek • Newly opened to evangelism • 41.5% Christian; 39% Muslim; 18.5% non-Religious/Other; .2% Baha'i; .01% Jewishi • Prayer Suggestion: Commit your fears to the Lord and He will give you peace (Prov. 3:24-26).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Matthew 27 – 28
Highlights:

Jesus before Pilate; Judas' suicide; crucifixion; entombment; resurrection; the Great Commission.
When the morning was come, all the chief priests and elders of the people took counsel against Jesus to put him to death (Matt. 27:1).

Pilate was the Roman procurator (Governor) over Judea and Samaria. His authority was absolute. After considerable deliberation and transferring Christ to Herod, who had jurisdiction over Galilee, Pilate refused to condemn the Lord saying: I, having examined Him before you, have found no fault in this Man . . . No, nor yet Herod . . . nothing worthy of death (Luke 23:14-15).

Pilate was determined to let the Savior go, saying, I find in Him no fault at all (John 18:38). He then sent Jesus to Herod, hoping perhaps that the responsibility would shift to someone else. Pilate's wife added to his fears when she said: Have Thou nothing to do with that just Man (Matt. 27:19).

Pilate, faced with an angry crowd, resorted to the scourge as a means of saving Jesus' life: I will . . . chastise Him, and let Him go (Luke 23:22). This fulfilled two prophecies: I gave my back to the smiters (Is. 50:6) and with His stripes we are healed (53:5). Words can not describe the unbearable agony our Savior suffered.

However, when Pilate's own position was challenged by their next threat, that whosoever maketh himself a king speaketh against Caesar (John 19:12), Pilate felt too intimidated to release Jesus and took water, and washed his hands before the multitude, saying; I am innocent of the blood of this just Person: see ye to it (Matt. 27:24).

Then came the actual crucifixion — the lingering torture at a place called Golgotha, that is to say, a place of a skull (Matt. 27:33). Wherefore Jesus also, that He might sanctify the people with His own blood, suffered without the gate (Heb. 13:12). We must remember that it was because of His great love for us that He suffered to rescue us from Hell's eternal prison.

The accumulated guilt of the sins of the world was a burden which He bore that no one else could bear. The constant thought of the cross is a great safeguard against willful sin, ingratitude, murmuring, and complaining.

If you suffer for doing right and are patient beneath the blows, God is pleased with you. Because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow His steps (I Pet. 2:21).

Thought for Today:

Jesus Christ is alive and reigning in the midst of His people today.
Cross References:

For Matt. 27:5-10: See Zech. 11:12-13. Matt. 27:34: See Ps. 69:21. Matt. 27:35: See Ps. 22:18. Matt. 27:39: See Job 16:4; Ps. 109:25; Lam. 2:15. Matt. 27:43: See Ps. 22:8. Matt. 27:46: See Ps. 22:1.
Word Studies:

27:15 wont, accustomed; 27:16 notable, notorious; 27:24 tumult, uproar, riot; 27:48 straightway, immediately, without delay.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: sponsored by Beverly Fortran • Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Ed R. Royce (CA) and Rep. Steve C. Austria (OH) • Country: Algeria (31.5 million) in North Africa • Major languages: Arabic and French • Opposition to the Gospel is intense • 96.7% Muslim; 3.02% non-Religious; .29% Christian; .01% Baha'i • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to help you teach His Word to your children; it will give guidance and instruction as they go through life (Prov. 6:20-23).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Mark 1 – 3
Highlights:

Ministry of John the Baptist; baptism and temptation of Jesus; His Galilean ministry; the twelve disciples chosen; the unpardonable sin.
And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, He went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed (Mark 1:35).

Before beginning His ministry and immediately following His baptism, Jesus remained in the Jordan praying . . . And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon Him (Luke 3:21-22). This was the first of many examples that Jesus gave us of the importance of prayer (Matt. 14:23; Mark 1:35; 6:46; 14:32,35-39; Luke 5:16; 6:12; 9:18,28; 10:2,21; 11:1-4; 18:1-8; 21:36-37; 22:39-46; John 11:41; 14:16; 17:1-26). This points out how important prayer was to Christ.

We read of one day when He was teaching in the synagogue. He was interrupted by a demon-possessed man. Afterwards, He healed Peter's mother-in-law. The great crowd of the sick continued to press upon Him until far into the night (Luke 4:31-41). It was a long and exhausting day's work. Perhaps we would have felt that it was more important to get an extra hour of sleep instead of rising to pray.

Again, He departed into a mountain to pray (Mark 6:46), suggesting not a single act but rather a habit of action. When the ministry's pressure was the greatest, He slept the least and gave more time to prayer.

Thinking of the serious work the day before He selected the twelve men who were to be the future leaders of the Church, Luke says: He went out into a mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God (Luke 6:12). His constant prayer life caught the attention of the disciples, and even they said: Lord, teach us to pray (Luke 11:1).

Jesus' example teaches us that prayer is one of the most important Christian activities. Like Jesus, through prayer and daily Bible reading we maintain an intimate walk with our Savior and lay the foundation for success in other spiritual activities, ensuring victory in the struggle against Satan.

It is the basis and strength of all we do. Through His Word and prayer we can understand His will and plan for our lives. We are told to renew our minds (Rom. 12:2), that we may stand against the wiles of the devil (Eph. 6:10-12).

Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need (Heb. 4:16).

Thought for Today:

No hindrance is too great for those who know that Christ alone can transform a life.
Cross References:

For Mark 1:2: See Mal. 3:1. Mark 1:3: See Is. 40:3. Mark 1:11: See Ps. 2:7.
Word Studies:

1:7 latchet, leather strap similar to a shoelace; 1:26 torn him, thrown him into convulsions; 1:43 straitly charged, sternly warned; 1:45 blaze abroad, make known everywhere; every quarter, everywhere; 2:1 it was noised, the news spread.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Sen. Maria Cantwell (WA) • Country: Andorra (78,000) in the eastern Pyrenees between France and Spain • Major languages: Catalan and French • Official freedom of religion • 94% Christian; 4% non-Religious; .6% Muslim; .9% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Diligently seek the guidance of the Lord (Prov. 8:17).

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk