Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Jonah 1 – 4
Highlights:

Jonah commissioned; his effort to avoid God's will; prayer of Jonah; second commission; Nineveh repents; Jonah's displeasure.
For I knew that Thou art a gracious God, and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness (Jonah 4:2).

Nineveh, the city where God told Jonah to preach was the capital of the Assyrian Empire, which at that time, dominated the world. It had oppressed many people, including the Jews. So Jonah was probably delighted with the good news that the city would be destroyed.

As believers, we should always remember the value of the soul. We should never let our prejudices hinder the work of God. We are created equal in the sight of God. Racism has no place in God's Kingdom. If we intend to be Christ-like, we cannot judge mankind on the basis of nationality or race. If these feelings are in your heart, you should repent and ask God to give you love for mankind as He has. He wants the same for every man and woman on the face of the earth, that they come to a place of repentance and accept the free gift of salvation. For there is no respect of persons with God (Rom. 2:11).

Jonah knew God wanted him to go to Nineveh, but he wasn't willing to obey. Jonah made the mistake of believing he could avoid God. The only thing a man gains from his flight from God is trouble, and more trouble. This is not the anger of a harsh God, but rather the dealings of a merciful Father who is not willing that any should perish (II Pet. 3:9).

When Jonah refused to go to Nineveh, God could have chosen another prophet and let Jonah sink to a watery grave. But God patiently dealt with him through a series of gracious acts, teaching him the importance of obedience, and Jonah did go to Nineveh as God had commanded him.

Thank God that He is a God of second chances to both sinner and servant alike. Jonah could have missed seeing this nation turn to God. However, God had chosen him to be the man to see it happen, so God kept maneuvering Jonah in the direction of Ninevah. The Lord will send you where He wants to. We do not choose our calling. We should just feel blessed to be called. Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began (II Tim. 1:9).

To day if ye will hear His voice, harden not your hearts (Heb. 3:15).

Thought for Today:

Submission to God brings deliverance from the judgment of God.
Christ Revealed:

By Jonah's experience in the great fish (Jon. 1:7 — 2:10). Jesus used this historical event as an illustration to tell of His death, burial, and resurrection when the Pharisees demanded a sign from Him (Matt. 12:39-41; also I Cor. 15:3-4).
Word Study:

2:2 hell in O.T. 31 times (from Sheol, used about 65 times), to hide, cover, or the grave. In the N.T. Jesus used hell (from Hades, Gehenna) to explain an after-death place of torments (Matt. 8:29; Luke 16:23,28; Rev. 14:10; 20:10); 2:8 lying vanities, worthless idols, false worship; 3:10 God repented, He was grieved; 4:5 booth, shelter; 4:8 vehement, scorching.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by A. Joan Joy • Staff: Rick Hash • Country: Tuvalu (11,000) nine islands in the southwestern Pacific • Major languages: Tuvaluan and English • Religious freedom • 92% Protestant; 5% Baha'i; 2% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: In times of trouble, pray and seek comfort in the Word of God (Ps. 119:50).
Memory Verse for the Week: James 1:12

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Micah 1 – 7

Highlights:

Impending judgment against Israel and Judah; Future deliverance of a remnant; birth of Christ foretold; His kingdom conquest; the great battle.
But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall He come forth unto Me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting (Micah 5:2).

The birthplace of our Savior was foretold by Micah seven hundred years before Jesus was born. Micah was the only prophet who specifically said that Christ would be born in Behlehem.

Since nineteen of Judah's twenty kings were born in the royal city of Jerusalem, it seemed unlikely that the Messiah-King would be born in the little village of Bethlehem.

All circumstances surrounding the birth of Jesus seemed contrary to the fulfillment of this prophecy. Mary, Jesus' mother, and Joseph were living in Nazareth, ninety miles north of Bethlehem. But, because of a decree by Caesar Augustus of Rome concerning taxation, they had to travel to Bethlehem, where the Messiah was born.

God will use any means that is necessary to bring to fruition His plan. He used this decree by the ungodly Caesar to bring this chosen family to the place that was propheied to be the birthplace of Jesus Christ. We never have to worry about the Word of God coming up short of its promises. These words are written by men, but inspired by God. It is God that backs up His Word as His infallible Truth. When God says it, it is going to happen. Therefore, we should trust the Word of God above all things. Let it have control of your life. But whoso keepeth His Word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in Him (I John 2:5).

The size of Bethlehem is also significant — little among the thousands of Judah (Micah 5:2). Christ is always born among the "little ones" — in those with hearts humble enough to confess sin and acknowledge Him as Lord (Matt. 18:3). God reaches out to all mankind, even the least. Likewise God commends us when we help the least of them. And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these My brethren, ye have done it unto Me (Matt. 25:40).

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven. . . . Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth (Matt. 5:3,5).

Thought for Today:

True satisfaction can only be found in our Lord Jesus Christ.
Christ Revealed:

As the Ruler in Israel (Mic. 5:2). Jesus will rule not only Israel but the world. She brought forth a man Child, who was to rule all nations (Rev. 12:5).
Word Studies:

1:16 Make thee bald, and poll thee for thy delicate children, Shave your head as a sign of sorrow for your children, who shall be taken from you into exile; 2:5 none that shall cast a cord by lot, no one who shall divide inheritances (because there shall be no inheritance to divide — see vs 4); 2:7 straitened, limited; do not My words do good to him that walketh uprightly, this speaks of our Creator, the Spirit of the Lord, and His Word, His perfect Guide to life; 2:13 The Breaker refers here to Messiah; 6:9 hear ye the rod, obey the rod, the instrument of the coming judgment of God.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in honor of Joshua Belisle's birthday • Staff: Micheal Moore • Government Officials: Rep. Doris O. Matsui (CA), Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart (FL), Rep. Jerry F. Costello (IL), Rep. Gregory W. Meeks (NY), and Sec'y. Robert M. Gates (Dept. of Education) • Country: Uganda (23 million) in eastern Africa • Major languages: English and Luganda • Religious freedom • 51% Roman Catholic; 30% Protestant; 10% animist; 7% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Lift up your prayers to God with your whole heart (Ps. 119:58,145).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Nahum 1 – Habakkuk 3
Highlights:

Prophecy and fulfillment of Nineveh's destruction; Habakkuk's prayer; vision of coming woes.
O Lord, how long shall I cry, and Thou wilt not hear! even cry out unto Thee of violence, and Thou wilt not save! (Hab. 1:2).

Through sympathy for his fellow-sufferers, the prophet cried for help as if he himself needed it. He prayed, asking: Why is it, Lord, that violence and strife and contention abound; the Law is set aside; the righteous are oppressed; the evil man reigns; and I am helpless to stop it?

Surely, thousands of Christians who have been wrongly accused, tortured, or put to death must have asked he same question: Why?

One of the greatest lessons of this Book is to follow the example of Habakkuk. When he received no answer, he said: I will stand upon my watch . . . and will watch to see what He will say (2:1). Habakkuk understood that it is not always for the believer to understand the circumstances that they are going through. It has not changed in over 2000 years that have passed since Habakkuk's time. As believers today, there are going to be times we go through things and we have no idea why they are happening. Or, we may never know the answer because it is of no benefit to us to know. God knows why and He will reveal to us as He sees fit. We must trust God as He leads and guides us down life's roads. Our desire should be that our walk glorifies Him. Furthermore then we beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more (I Thess. 4:1).

In the midst of a Chaldean invasion, the prophet Habakkuk declared: The just shall live by his faith (Hab. 2:4). It was also proclaimed by Paul: To all that be in Rome, beloved of God. . . . The just shall live by faith (Rom. 1:7,17). And this message is still being proclaimed by Christians in every part of the world.

We must continue to carry this message of faith in Christ to the lost, the brokenhearted, the homeless and all who need to hear the good news of Jesus. We can live by faith because we have someone who is worth believing. We have the promise of Jesus' return. Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen Him go into heaven (Acts 1:11).

Now the just shall live by faith (Heb. 10:38).

Thought for Today:

There are daily problems in life for which God alone has the best answers. Therefore, we need to trust Him to execute justice.
Christ Revealed:

As the One whom even the sea obeys (Nah. 1:4). Jesus rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm (Matt. 8:26).
Word Studies:

Nah. 1:12 quiet, strong, safe, secure; 1:14 no more of thy name be sown, nothing of your name will remain; 2:7 tabering, beating; 3:19 bruit, report. Hab. 1:4 the law is slacked, the law is never enforced.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in memory of Letha Hash • Staff: Barbara Jean Jackson • Government Officials: Gov. Janice K. Brewer (AZ) and Rep. Frank C. Guinta (NH) • Country: Ukraine (51 million) east-central Europe • Major languages: Ukrainian and Russian • Religious freedom • 55% Orthodox (various jurisdictions); 15% Catholic (mainly Greek-Catholic); 3.2% Protestant; 1% Jews; .5% Muslim; 25.3% Agnostic/Atheist/Other • Prayer Suggestion: Ask for understanding as you read the Word of God (Ps. 119:73).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Zephaniah 1 – Haggai 2
Highlights:

Judgment on Judah and future destruction of Gentile nations; reproof for negligence in the building of the Temple.
Thus speaketh the Lord of hosts, saying, This people say, The time is not come, the time that the Lord's House should be built. . . . Is it time for you, O ye, to dwell in your ceiled houses, and this House lie waste? (Haggai 1:2,4).

Fourteen years had passed since the work had ceased on the Temple (Ezra 4:24). The people in Haggai's time could give many reasons why it was not the time to renew their efforts — the opposition of the Samaritans, their own poverty, the losses they had sustained from bad harvests, the many long hours they had to work in the fields.

Disregarding all possible excuses, Haggai said: Consider your ways — think about what has happened to you (Hag. 1:5)! Why is it that you reap a bad harvest? Why is it that you are never satisfied? Why is it that your wages are not meeting your needs? Why is it that you look for much and get so little? (1:6-9). Haggai wanted them to understand there was a reason all these things were happening to them. They were so busy working for themselves that they had forgotten the work that needed to be done to grow God's Kingdom. They had gotten so entangled in the day-to-day activities of life that they forgot about God. God had a purpose for each of these people and a specific design in mind for their lives. They had just allowed circumstances to overtake them. The Lord tells us: In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of Him who worketh all things after the counsel of His own will (Eph. 1:11).

Like these people, many today are not aware of the necessity of being actively involved in the Lord's work. We must remember, just like God's chosen nation of Israel, we are called by God for a specific work. The problem we face in our time is that there are hundreds of distractions to draw us away from the Lord's work. We find time for all our work hours. We find time to meet our family needs. We even find a little time for recreation. The one thing that is often given a lesser role is God. We should love Him above all these things. And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the First Commandment (Mark 12:30).

But seek ye first the Kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33).

Thought for Today:

Every person has twenty-four hours a day. What has priority in your life?
Christ Revealed:

As King of Israel, even the Lord (Zeph. 3:15; compare John 1:49).
Word Studies:

Zeph. 1:4 Chemarims, idolatrous priests in charge; 1:9 leap on the threshold, rush into houses to confiscate the property by extortion and deceit; 2:15 carelessly, securely, with no equal; Hag. 2:7 the desire of all nations, the One desired by all people, the Messiah, Jesus Christ.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in honor of Grace Oreta Rutherford's birthday • Staff: Ilene Wallace • Government Official: Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (FL)• Country: United Arab Emirates (2 million) on the eastern Arabian Peninsula • Major languages: Arabic and Farsi • Pressure and hostility against Christians are increasing • 95% Muslim; 4% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Rise early in the morning to lift up your prayers to God and hope in His Word (Ps. 119:147).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Zechariah 1 – 7
Highlights:

Visions of Zechariah; warnings of Jehovah's displeasure: Joshua and Satan; visions of golden candlestick, flying roll, four chariots.
Then He answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the Word of the Lord unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit, saith the Lord of hosts. Who art thou, O great mountain? before Zerubabbel thou shalt become a plain (Zech. 4:6-7).

The foundation of the Temple that lay desolate for fourteen years was evidence of the exile's disobedience and lack of faith. Therefore, God raised up the prophets Haggai and Zechariah (Ezra 5:1) to proclaim His Word and to challenge them to finish rebuilding the Temple (Hag. 1:3-11). This time they ignored the threats of their enemies. And the elders of the Jews builded, and they prospered though the prophesying of Haggai . . . and Zechariah (Ezra 6:14).

The word mountain is a symbol of the great obstacles and powers that face Christians (Is. 40:4; 49:11; Dan. 2:35,45). But all the mountain-like obstacles can be overcome by steadfast faith when Christians put Christ and His Church first in their lives. We will be able to accomplish any task put before us by God. However, if Christ and His Church are not first in our lives, we will find things to be much more difficult. If we live in disobedience to the Word of God, it is next to impossible to have a fruitful life for God. We may still do the right things sometimes. However, we are acting in our own might. We need to allow God to rise up within us and work through us. He must increase, but I must decrease (John 3:30).

Haggai and Zechariah proclaimed God's Word — the source of power by which any work of God is accomplished. It is not by might, nor by power (human effort), but as God's Word is quickened — made alive and real by the Holy Spirit, so that we act upon it (Zech. 4:6).

We must read and study God's Word continuously, over and over. This is how it takes control of our lives. The more we give ourselves to the Word of God, the more alive in our hearts it will become. The Word of God can then help us to have a Christ-like heart. For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Heb. 4:12).

My grace is sufficient for thee: for My strength is made perfect in weakness (II Cor. 12:9).

Thought for Today:

God's Spirit can perfect His strength in the weakest believer.
Christ Revealed:

As My Servant the BRANCH (Zech. 3:8). Christ was brought into the world in the fulness of the time (Gal. 4:4), and took upon Him the form of a servant (Phil. 2:7). But He will soon return as the Righteous Branch to reign as King (Jer. 23:5).
Word Studies:

1:15 helped forward the affliction, increased your afflictions beyond My intentions; 1:19 horns, world powers; 1:21 fray, terrorize; 3:5 mitre, turban; 5:1 roll, The Word of God was written on parchment or skins, then rolled up.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Doyle Foss • Staff: Kevin Jennings • Government Officials: Rep. Joe Donnelly (IN) and Rep. Bill Cassidy (LA) • Country: United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, & Wales) (59.4 million) off the coast of western Europe • Major languages: English and Welsh • Religious freedom • 55% Anglican; 16% Catholic; 6% Other Protestant; 2% Muslim; .9% Sikh; .8% Hindu; .6% Jewish; .2% Buddhist; 10.5% Other; 5% Unaffiliated• Prayer Suggestion: Praise God for His mercy (Ps. 136:2).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Zechariah 8 – 14
Highlights:

Jehovah's purpose for restoring Jerusalem; Christ presented as King-Savior; dispersion and regathering; return of Christ; Kingdom established.
Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: He is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass (Zech. 9:9).

Zechariah's prophetic message was far more than words of comfort and encouragement to the returned exiles. It was a message of hope, foretelling the coming King of kings when many nations shall be joined to the Lord (2:11).

This prophecy was fulfilled in part when Jesus entered Jerusalem, riding upon an ass (Matt. 21:2-5). This was His formal presentation as King.

But the cry, Hosanna (21:9) was soon changed to: Crucify Him! The King was rejected and betrayed for only thirty pieces of silver (26:15; compare Zech 11:12; also compare Matt. 27:3-5; Zech. 11:13). But it was only through the death of the Messiah that people could be cleansed of sin as silver is refined (13:9).

But Zechariah also foretold of a time when the King shall return and His will shall be done in earth, as it is in heaven (Matt. 6:10). All evil will be removed, and His people shall reign with Him. And the Lord shall be King over all the earth: in that day shall there be one Lord, and His Name one, and a spirit of HOLINESS UNTO THE LORD will prevail (Zech. 14:9,20).

We have the wonderful privilege of living after the fulfillment of our Lord's earthly ministry and in the expectation of His soon return. It is truly an honor to live a life of service to God. We are fulfilling the work that was started by Jesus Christ Himself. He is the one who began the work of the New Testament Church through His disciples. The apostles whom He had chosen . . . began to speak . . . And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved (Acts 1:2 — 2:47). We should feel privileged that we are called by God to the office of kingdom building. We are truly the hands, feet and mouthpiece of God. God has set each one in their proper place. And God hath set some in the Church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues (I Cor. 12:28).

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto Myself; that where I am, there ye may be also (John 14:3).

Thought for Today:

If the Lord were to come today, would you rejoice to see Him face to face?
Christ Revealed:

As King and as a Servant sold for thirty pieces of silver (Zech. 9:9; 11:12). They covenanted with him (Judas) for thirty pieces of silver (Matt. 26:15).
Word Studies:

8:2 was jealous . . . with great jealousy, loved with great protective love; 10:3 goats, civic and political leaders; 10:8 hiss, signal; 11:7 Beauty, and . . . Bands, two shepherd's staffs; 14:9 His Name One, Jesus will be recognized and reign as God with no rival false god.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Sen. Bill Nelson (FL) • Country: United States (270 million) in North America • Major languages: English and Spanish • Religious freedom • 55% Protestant; 28% Catholic; 1% Orthodox; 2% Mormon; 2% Jewish; 1% Muslim; 11% Other/None • Prayer Suggestion: Give thanks to the God of heaven; His mercy and loving-kindness endure forever (Ps. 136:26).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Malachi 1 – 4
Highlights:

The sins of the priests; mission of John the Baptist; the day of the Lord and final judgment.
Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from Mine ordinances (Mal. 3:7).

Many specific ordinances were given to Israel — some concerning their relationship with God, and others concerning their relationship with their fellowman.

The sacrificial ordinances were done away with for the believer by the coming of Christ. Even the Law of Commandments contained in ordinances (Eph. 2:15).

The "civil" laws, which expressed their responsibility toward one another in His Kingdom, ceased to exist when the nation of Israel was taken into captivity. The "ceremonial" laws, which expressed their responsibility toward God, became meaningless after the One whom they foreshadowed had come. But God's eternal "principles" upon which the "moral" laws were based will never cease. They reveal the attitude that God's people should express toward God, and also the attitude we should have toward our fellowmen who are made in His image. The impartation of His nature enables us to fulfill our privilege to reverence God and love our fellowmen for whom Christ died.

Everything hinges on Jesus Christ. It is in Him that we find our model for life. He shows us the way to live a life consecrated to God. He does not do this with a long list of rules and regulations that are hard to understand. He did this simply by living a life as an example to follow after. He teaches us how to pray, how to fast, how to study, and how to live. In the end, Jesus teaches us how to love. Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the First and Great Commandment. And the Second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the prophets (Matt. 22:37-40). In these verses, Jesus shows us a great doctrinal statement for every believer. If we could simply love as Jesus loves, other things would be sure to work themselves out. If we love our neighbor, it makes it hard to sin against him. If we love God, we will want to be the person He wants us to be.

In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother (I John 3:10).

Thought for Today:

Our daily attitudes toward fellow believers should be ruled by God.
Christ Revealed:

The Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to His Temple (Mal. 3:1). Jesus went into the Temple. . . . saying . . . My House shall be called . . . the House of prayer (Mark 11:15-17).
Word Studies:

1:6 fear, reverence, willing obedience; 1:13 snuffed at, sneered at, lightly esteemed, despised, scorned; 2:12 The Lord will cut off . . . the master (who hath married the daughter of a strange god — see 2:11) and the scholar, the priest and the layman will be rejected; 3:13 Your words have been stout against Me, Your attitude has been harsh, strong against Me.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Beverly Skinner • Country: Uruguay (3 million) on the southeastern coast of South America • Major language: Spanish • Religious freedom • 60% Roman Catholic; 2% Protestant; 2% Jewish; .7% Eastern Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Praise the Lord for His loving-kindness and faithfulness (Ps. 138:2).
Memory Verse for the Week: James 1:17

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Matthew 1 – 3
Highlights:

Generations of Jesus Christ; His birth; flight into Egypt and return to Nazareth; ministry of John the Baptist; baptism of Jesus; temptation by Satan; first disciples called.
Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as His mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost (Matt. 1:18).

Prophecy records a covenant requirement — the Messiah would belong to the royal house of David. Both Mary, through the blood lineage (Luke 3:23-38), and Joseph, through the legal lineage (Matt.1:1-16), were descendants of David. The miracle of the virgin mother was mentioned in the first promise as the Seed of the woman (Gen.3:15) meaning without the man, but is of the Holy Ghost (Matt:1:20). Isaiah prophesied: Therefore the Lord Himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel (Isaiah 7:14). The prophet is speaking of one virgin in the history of mankind, who would have a miraculous conception, a supernatural birth. For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given: and the government shall be upon His shoulder: and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace (Is.9:6). The Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us (John 1:14).

While Mary was espoused to Joseph (Matt.1:18) which was "their engagement" she explained to him the revelation that she was with child by a miraculous act of God. Joseph found this hard to accept and was considering a divorce (1:19). He then received a revelation from the angel of the Lord . . . in a dream, saying . . . fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for . . . she shall bring forth a Son, and thou shalt call His name JESUS: for He shall save His people from their sins (1:20-21).

Our Lord was born by a miraculous conception, in the likeness of sinful flesh (Rom. 8:3) but without sin, so that our human nature might be redeemed from sin and created anew in the image of God.

Christianity starts with a miracle birth and a like miracle takes place in the life of all who received Him . . . which were born, not of the blood, nor of the will of the flesh . . . but of God (John 1:12-13). Christ in you, the Hope of Glory (Col. 1:27).

Thought for Today:

Which is more important to you — personal desires or doing God's will?
Cross References:

For Matt. 1:23: See Is. 7:14. Matt. 2:6: See Mic. 5:2. Matt. 2:15: See Hos. 11:1. Matt. 2:18: See Jer. 31:15. Matt. 3:3: See Is. 40:3.
Word Studies:

1:18 espoused, engaged; came together, had physical relations, she was a virgin; 2:16 mocked of, deceived by; coasts, surrounding regions; 3:8 fruits meet for repentance, a life that confirms your change of heart; 3:15 Suffer, Allow; fulfil all righteousness, do all that God requires.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: sponsored by Mrs. Ruth Hess • Pray for Staff: Jennifer Palafox • Pray for Government Official: Rep. Devin G. Nunes (CA) • Country: Uzbekistan (24.4 million) central Asia • Major languages: Uzbek and Russian • Limited religious freedom due to Islamic influence • 68.2% Muslim (largely Sunni); 4.4% Russian Orthodox; .2% Roman Catholic; .2% Protestant; .5% Jewish; .5% Other; .2% Baha'i; .3% Buddhist; 25.5% non-Religious/Other • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to reveal what is not pleasing to Him (Ps. 139:23-24).
NOTE: We list the President, Vice President, Supreme Court Justices, Cabinet Members, Senators, Representatives, and Governors on their birthdays. Because we publish in advance our list may not reflect the results of the most recent elections.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Matthew 4 – 6
Highlights:

Sermon on the Mount.
And seeing the multitudes, He went up into a mountain . . . And He opened His mouth, and taught them (Matt. 5:1-2).

Following the martyrdom of John the Baptist, Jesus left Judea and returned in the power of the (Holy) Spirit into Galilee (Luke 4:14). His fame went throughout all Syria . . . . And there followed Him great multitudes of people from Galilee . . . Decapolis . . . Jerusalem . . . Judaea, and from beyond Jordan (Matt. 4:24-25).

Jesus sat on an open mountainside where He proclaimed ten spiritual principles to guide the conduct of His followers. In contrast to the world's view, our Lord makes known the basic principles upon which true, satisfying blessings may be achieved. He begins by saying Blessed are the poor in spirit (5:3). Poor in spirit describes the humble who have discovered that self-importance, and self-righteousness are inappropriate in their life. Such persons never take credit for successes or achievements but praise the Lord for His enabling. In contrast is the self-assertive, self-sufficient, self-made man. O Lord, I know that . . . it is not in man to direct his (own ways) steps (Jer. 10:23).

The next blessing is for they that mourn: for they shall be comforted (Matt.5.4). This is not a reference to sorrows over the loss of material possessions, blighted hopes, or the death of loved ones. It means to mourn with a "godly sorrow" that worketh repentance. There are thousands today who acknowledge that Christ died for sinners, but who have never mourned over their own sins. Jesus was known as a Man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief (Is. 53:3). As we draw near to Him, we too, will become deeply concerned over lost sinners and over the evil in the world.

Spiritual growth and true satisfaction are reserved for the meek: for they shall inherit the earth (Matt. 5:5). Meekness is not weakness, as noted in the life of Moses, the meekest man on earth (Num. 12:3). Meekness is unwavering loyalty and unconditional submission to Christ as Lord, regardless of the opposition. Jesus said: Learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart (Matt. 11:29).

The meek know what it is to be delivered from a greedy, grasping attitude, being, instead, content with such things as God has provided as having nothing, and yet possessing all things (II Cor. 6:10). This blessing is reserved for all who receive with meekness the engrafted Word, which is able to save your soul (James 1:21).

Thought for Today:

It is the heart and not the head which makes God's servant willing to do God's will.
Cross References:

For Matt. 4:4: See Deut. 8:3. Matt. 4:6: See Ps. 91: 11-12. Matt. 4:7: See Deut. 6:16. Matt. 4:10: See Deut. 6:13-14. Matt. 4:15-16: See Is. 9:1-2. Matt. 5:21: See Ex. 20:13. Matt. 5:27: See Ex. 20:14. Matt. 5:31: See Deut. 24:1. Matt. 5:33: See Num. 30:2. Matt. 5:38: See Ex. 21:24. Matt. 5:43: See Lev. 19:18.
Word Studies:

5:13 his savour, its usefulness; 5:18 one jot or one tittle, as the dot on the letter "i" or the cross of a "t"; 5:22 say . . . Raca, worthless one, pour contempt; 5:29 offend thee, causes you to sin; 5:33 forswear, swear falsely, break an oath; 5:46 publicans, Jewish tax collectors, worldly-minded; 6:19 corrupt, make money worthless; 6:22 single, free from deceit; 6:23 evil, selfish, sinful; 6:24 mammon, material things.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: sponsored by Mr & Mrs Eugene Gossett • Pray for Staff: Chris Robison • Pray for Government Official: Rep. Hank C. Johnson (GA) • Country: Vanuatu (189,000) a group of 12 large islands southwest of the Solomon Islands in the southwestern Pacific • Major languages: English and French • Religious freedom • 78% Protestant; 17% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Trust the Lord and ask Him to direct your steps (Ps. 143:8).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Matthew 7 – 9
Highlights:

Conclusion of the Sermon on the Mount; preaching and miracles; call of Matthew.
Not every one that saith unto Me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the Kingdom of Heaven; but he that doeth the will of My Father which is in Heaven (Matt. 7:21).

The Jews presumed that they were all the chosen ones of the Messiah and would inherit His kingdom simply because they were descendants of Abraham and were identified with His covenant through circumcision.

It was a disturbing shock for them to hear the Lord say: Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in . . . and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it (7:13-14). The Lord made it clear that the majority of the religious people of His day were on the broad . . . way, that leadeth to destruction. Sadly, the same can be said today about many who consider they are part of the Christian world.

Many of the "religious" people today believe that Heaven can be obtained on much easier terms than those described in this Sermon on the Mount. But it is Christ who said if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out . . . and if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off (5:29-30). The Word is clear: If ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live (Rom. 8:13).

Entering into this "narrow gate" is the sincere desire to change masters; to now serve the Savior and not the lusts of the flesh (I John 2:15-17). Our minds, our affections, our wills, our conversation, and our conduct must all be brought into harmony with God's Holy Word.

The broad way is much more popular (Matt. 7:13). It is wide and full of self-will and self-gratification with no restrictions. It is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death (Prov. 14:12). The popular false prophets of today pride themselves on their broad-mindedness and liberality, while avoiding anything which suggests surrender, repentance, or obedience.

The true follower of Christ looks not to his own way but seeks his direction from the Holy Spirit. He chooses to serve God rather than the flesh. Even though he may have to endure trials at times he knows that he has the ultimate victory in life. Verily, verily I say unto you, He that heareth My Word, and believeth on Him that sent Me, hath everlasting life (John 5:24).

Thought for Today:

God will never put stones in the bread He gives.
Cross References:

For Matt. 7:23: See Ps. 6:8. Matt. 8:4: See Lev. 14:1-32. Matt. 8:17: See Is. 53:4. Matt. 9:13: See Hos. 6:6.
Word Studies:

7:2 ye mete, you measure out, give; 7:3 mote, tiny, insignificant speck; beam, such as judgmental unloving self-righteousness, pretending to have a character one does not possess; 7:6 rend, to tear apart; 8:31 suffer, permit; 9:9 receipt of custom, tax collector's office; 9:10 sat at meat, sat down to a meal; 9:36 fainted, were distressed by the burden of the rituals and rules of the scribes and Pharisees; scattered abroad, thrown down, confused, deceived, neglected by the self-righteous leaders who were more concerned about keeping their own position than helping others.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Tifany Edwards • Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Karen Bass (CA), Sen. Jeff Bingaman, Jr. (NM), Rep. Allyson Y. Schwartz (PA), and Sen. Sean P. Duffy (WI) • Country: Vatican City (900) in Rome, Italy • Major languages: Italian and Latin • Religious freedom • Approximately 100% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Sing unto the Lord with thanksgiving (Ps. 147:7).

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk