Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Isaiah 10 – 14
Highlights:

Assyria to be broken; promise of Israel's restoration; Christ, the Branch of Jesse; the wells of salvation; thanksgiving for God's mercies; Babylon's doom predicted; Israel to be preserved.
Behold, God is my salvation . . . Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation. . . . Praise the Lord, call upon His Name, declare His doings among the people (Is. 12:2-4).

If you were to give water to a person who was about to die of thirst, he would begin to revive and enjoy the water the very moment the precious liquid touched his lips. Water is essential and life-giving. Without water, humans will die. They can survive a little while, but, eventually dehydration will overtake the body. This water would be a most precious gift indeed.

All the wells of salvation are in Christ. Jesus is the Water of Life. But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life (John 4:14). There is no other way to obtain life except through Jesus. Every believer receives the priceless, satisfying water from Christ alone. The wells of salvation are revealed in His Word (John 3:3-5; 7:37-38).

Salvation and fellowship are the great themes of the Bible. These are gifts freely given to us by God. Salvation is given so that we might escape the penalties of sin. We all need fellowship to help us walk in this life in a Christ-like manner. We dare not neglect this joy of drawing the water . . . of salvation from His Word — it satisfies. If we reject this joy, we spurn the gift of salvation itself.

Come to the wellspring of eternal life. It is open to you. Whosoever will may come. The call goes out to every man, woman, and child to come to this fountain of Living Water to drink. It is the will of God that all should drink of this water that gives eternal life. The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance (II Pet. 3:9). The Word of God is clear concerning this free gift of life-saving water to the spiritually dying. Jesus Christ died in order to offer Himself, the Water of Life, to all who would come and drink.

And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely (Rev. 22:17).

Thought for Today:

Our Lord's well of life-giving water is as overflowing and inexhaustible as the nature of God.
Christ Revealed:

As the Descendant of Jesse, King David's father (Is. 11:1; comp. Luke 3:23,31-32). Isaiah 11 reveals Christ's coming earthly rule of righteousness. One day soon Jesus will return to earth in all the fullness of His glory and will be accompanied by His angels. Then He will set up the millennial Kingdom of His creation; this will be the beginning of His rightful eternal rule over His creation (Matt. 25:31-46; also Rev. 20-22).
Word Studies:

10:1 grievousness, oppression, injustice; 10:12 high, proud; 10:20 stay, rely; 10:22 consumption, destruction; 10:33 lop, cut off; 14:16 narrowly look upon, gaze at.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Iva Jo Swinsburg • Staff: Ben and Ilene Wallace's Anniversary • Government Official: Rep. Chris S. Murphy (CT) • Country: North Korea (22.2 million) in northeastern Asia • Major language: Korean • Violent oppression against all religions • 68% atheist; 15% Ch'ondogyo; 14% Other Traditional; 2% Buddhist; 1% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Pray to be considerate to the less fortunate (Ps. 41:1).
Optional Reading: Hebrews 11

Memory Verse for the Week: Galatians 6:10
:angel:

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Isaiah 15 – 21
Highlights:

Moab's devastation foretold; Syria and Israel threatened; God's judgments; Israel's conversion; captivity of Egypt foretold.
Where are thy wise men? . . . the princes of Noph (Memphis, capital of Egypt) are deceived . . . The Lord hath mingled a perverse spirit in the midst thereof: and they have caused Egypt to err (Is. 19:12-14).

Isaiah foretold that all the ancient glory of the pharaohs would soon vanish. He warned his people not to depend on Egypt for help against the invading Assyrians. Sadly, instead of repenting, praying to God, and turning from their evil ways, they turned to Egypt for security. It seems amazing that when given the choice between turning to God or turning to the world that we would choose the world. It seemed impossible to Israel that the prophecy against the great and powerful Egypt could actually come to pass, but true to God's Word, it was fulfilled in every detail.

They have rejected the Word of the Lord; and what wisdom is in them? (Jer. 8:9). We must understand the Word of God is the complete Truth from cover-to-cover. Every prophecy in the Bible has already or will in the future come true. The words on the pages of the Bible are not penned by some psychic or soothsayer, who might guess correctly on one or two predictions. These words are inspired by God Himself and written down by God-fearing men and women. For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the Word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in Truth, the Word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe (I Thess. 2:13).

The nation of God that had once followed after righteousness became ensnared with the wisdom of the world. When the Israelites turned to Egypt for help, they lost their source of guidance and spiritual values.

Most of the Bible deals with human problems — every conceivable problem anyone will ever face. It is remarkably true that the answers become unmistakably clear as we meditate upon His Word.

It is of little importance that we excel in the wisdom of the world, but it is of utmost importance that we study the Bible — the life-giving Book that illuminates our understanding of life's complicated problems.

I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known Him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the Word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one (I John 2:14).

Thought for Today:

The Word hidden in the heart provides wisdom for daily living.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who will sit on the throne of David (Is. 16:5). The angel Gabriel told the virgin Mary that the Lord God shall give unto Him the throne of His father David (Luke 1:32-33). Christ also is revealed as the Saviour (Is. 19:20; comp. Matt. 1:21; Luke 2:11).
Word Studies:

16:3 bewray, betray; 16:11 my bowels, my inner being, heart; 17:11 a heap, a failure; 19:8 angle, hooks; 21:14 prevented with their bread him that fled, gave food and water to the fugitives.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Pres. Barack Obama (USA), Rep. Keith Ellison (MN), and Rep. Robert E. Andrews (NJ) • Country: Norway (4.45 million) in northern Europe • Major language: Norwegian • Religious freedom • 87.8% Evangelical Lutheran; 3.8% Other Protestant and Catholic; 3.2% None; 5.2% Other (Orthodox, Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, Jehovah's Witness) • Prayer Suggestion: Pray for a greater desire to serve the Lord (Ps. 42:1-2).
Optional Reading: Hebrews 12

Memory Verse for the Week: Galatians 6:10

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Isaiah 22 – 26

Highlights:

Tyre destroyed because of her sins; the earth wasted and polluted by man's sin; Isaiah glorifies God in affliction; God's dominion over us; a way to perfect peace.
O Lord our God, other lords besides Thee have had dominion over us: but by Thee only will we make mention of Thy Name (Is. 26:13).

With every defeat of God's people — first by the Assyrians, then by Egypt, and finally by Babylon — Isaiah confessed how these nations had dominion over the Israelites. Each of them attempted to force the Hebrews to accept pagan worship.

Because of their faith and loyalty to God, Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego would not participate in pagan worship. Therefore, the three other children were cast into a fiery furnace, while, later, Daniel was cast into a den of lions. But God miraculously delivered all four of them (Dan. 3,6).

These men could say with Isaiah: Other lords besides Thee have had dominion over us: but by Thee only will we make mention of Thy Name. Praise God, He always provides a remnant who will choose to serve God above all other things. Even though the world may press in and try to force them to turn their backs on God. These faithful ones will stand strong continuing to refuse to surrender their faith. Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage (Gal. 5:1). The Word of God will give us the encouragement we need to stand in the face of oppression. The Bible shows us again and again that God is always with us. If we place our confidence in Him, Jesus will empower us to face the things of the world which seek to draw us into sin. Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us (Heb. 12:1).

God's people in every generation have faced similar enemies of God who seek to force them to accept pagan ways. Evil influences are constantly seeking to corrupt those who are loyal to Christ. But Christ must be the Lord of our lives. Other lords cannot have dominion over us. For sin shall not have dominion over you (Rom. 6:14).

Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God (Rom. 6:13).

Thought for Today:

Trials have helped many people come to know God's will for their lives.
Christ Portrayed:

By Eliakim, master of Hezekiah's household (Is. 22:20-22); what was said of him is true of Christ who is Master over the household of faith. Christ . . . a Son over His own house; whose house are we (Heb. 3:6; Gal. 6:10).
Word Studies:

22:1 valley of vision, Jerusalem; 22:2 stirs, shoutings; 23:13 raised up, destroyed; 24:7 mourneth, laments, sorrows; 24:15 fires, dawning light; 24:19 clean dissolved, split open; 24:23 ancients, elders; 26:7 weigh, make straight, lead in the right way.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Gov. Brian Sandoval (NV), Rep. Mike F. Doyle (PA), and Sen. Ron H. Johnson (WI) • Country: Oman (2 million) on the southeastern coast of Arabia • Major languages: Arabic and English • Fewer restrictions on Christian activity than most of its neighbors • 97% Muslim; .5% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Remember that God delights in your joy (Ps. 43:4).
Optional Reading: Hebrews 13

Memory Verse for the Week: Habakkuk 3:18

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Isaiah 27 – 31
Highlights:

Judgment threatened; Israel's hypocritical worship; Israel rebuked for its alliance with Egypt; future hope.
For the Egyptians shall help in vain, and to no purpose: therefore have I cried concerning this, Their strength is to sit still (Is. 30:7).

The Israelites were under the special guardianship of God, who had wrought many deliverances for them. Yet, when the Assyrians threatened to invade their nation, they turned to Egypt — the very people who had once so cruelly oppressed their forefathers. To ensure Egyptian alliance, they sent Egypt a large sum of money.

From Israel's past they knew that God would protect them, but they chose to put their faith in an earthly power. Even though they had the omnipotent God of heaven on their side, they picked a fallible army to help them. In some ways, it is simply repeating an age old sin, which is trusting more in the seen than the unseen. This sin demonstrates a lack of faith. For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith (I John 5:4).

It was as a rebuke for such lack of faith in God, that the prophet said sit still — don't panic, but rely on God to help. Today, the believer in Christ is often tempted to sin in a very similar way. The enemy, Satan, would love to influence our thinking so that he could trick us into losing faith in God. He wants to cause us to look to something or someone physical to help us in our time of need. Faith is not involved in the seen. Faith asks us to believe in the unseen. Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen (Heb. 11:1).

To sit still doesn't mean we are to remain idle and use none of our God-given abilities. If we are to receive God's blessings on our efforts, we must, in a sense, sit still by placing our whole dependence on God and not on our own plans. God said: Keep silence before Me. . . . Fear thou not . . . I will uphold thee with the right hand of My righteousness (Is. 41:1,10). It is only in God we will find our peace, strength, and rest. We must do this to allow God to truly work within us. As long as we are "helping Him," the plan of God for our lives will never be able to truly be put into action. God will complete what He is doing in our lives. Insomuch that we desired Titus, that as He had begun, so He would also finish in you the same grace also (II Cor. 8:6).

It is good that man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the Lord (Lam. 3:26).

Thought for Today:

When it seems there is no hope, is it because we are relying on our own strength rather than God's?
Christ Revealed:

As the precious (Chief) Corner Stone, a sure foundation (Is. 28:16; Eph. 2:20-21; Matt. 21:42; Acts 4:10-12; Rom. 9:33; I Pet. 2:6-8).
Word Studies:

27:1 piercing, swift; 28:21 strange, awesome, unusual; 28:22 bands be made strong, punishment be made greater; 30:1 cover with a covering, give an offering; 30:3 confusion, humiliation, your undoing; 30:24 ear, plow.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Carl Miller • Staff: Dan Murton • Government Official: Rep. Mike McIntyre II (NC)• Country: Pakistan (146.5 million) in southern Asia • Major languages: Urdu and English • There is no freedom to convert Muslims to Christ. Pakistan is an Islamic republic • 72% Sunni Muslim; 20% Shi'a Muslim; 3% Ahmadiya; 2% Christian; 2% Hindu; .1% Other (Baha'i, Animist, Farsi, Buddhist) • Prayer Suggestion: Remember that the Lord is always ready to help you in times of trouble (Ps. 46:1).
Optional Reading: James 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Isaiah 32 – 37

Highlights:

Righteous king foretold; judgment upon nations; Israel threatened; Hezekiah's prayer; destruction of Assyrians.
Now it came to pass in the fourteenth year of king Hezekiah, that Sennacherib king of Assyria came up against all the defenced cities of Judah, and took them. . . . thus saith the king . . . Neither let Hezekiah make you trust in the Lord, saying, the Lord will surely deliver us: this city shall not be delivered into the hand of the king of Assyria (Is. 36:1,14-15).

Just eight years after he invaded and destroyed the Northern Kingdom, Sennacherib, king of Assyria, attacked Judah (compare II Kin. 18:13-17 and II Chr. 32:1-8). It was during this time that King Hezekiah showed his great trust in God. He declared to the nation: With us is the Lord our God (II Chr. 32:8).

Hezekiah desperately sought to lead the people to trust in God as their only hope of survival against Assyria. When he read the letter which the Assyrian ambassador had brought them from Sennacherib, Hezekiah immediately took the letter to the Temple and spread it before the Lord. Then he sent an urgent message to Isaiah, asking the prophet to pray for the nation (II Kin. 19:15-19); II Chr. 32:20).

Hezekiah knew to whom to turn in times of trouble. As believers, we must also turn to God and His Word for help and guidance. But my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus (Phil. 4:19).

Hezekiah's prayer was short and simple, but sincere. There is no need for elaborate prayers with God. We simply need to come before Him believing and trusting that He is more than capable of meeting our need. God desires our prayers. The Apostles said: But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of The Word (Acts 6:4). Like the Apostles we should: Pray without ceasing . . . for this is the will of God (I Thess. 5:17-18). He wants us to pray in good times and bad times. The faithful Christian is one who prays even in the best of times. Then, when anything goes wrong, he instinctively turns to God in prayer because he is accustomed to turning to Him. If we truly live in fellowship with God, we will look to Him for all our needs. We will call out to God in prayer for we know He is our refuge and strength.

In every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God (Phil. 4:6).

Thought for Today:

You can depend on God's promises; they cannot fail.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who, in judgment, wields the sword of the Lord (Is. 34:6). Out of His mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it He should smite the nations (Rev. 19:15).
Word Studies:

32:2 covert, shelter; tempest, storm; 32:5 liberal, noble; churl, deceitful; 32:7 instruments, schemes; 32:19 low in a low place, completely destroyed; 33:9 hewn down, destroyed.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Beth Carlton • Country: Panama (3 million) in southern Central America • Major languages: Spanish and English • Limited religious freedom • 78% Roman Catholic; 12% Protestant; 5% Muslim; .1% Eastern Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: God wants to be exalted through you (Ps. 46:10).
Optional Reading: James 2

Read Isaiah 38 – 42

Highlights:

Hezekiah's life lengthened; Babylonian captivity foretold; God to be praised; Covenant; a light to the Gentiles.
Behold My Servant, whom I uphold; Mine elect, in whom My soul delighteth; I have put My Spirit upon Him; He shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles. He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause His voice to be heard in the street (Is. 42:1-2).

Jesus quoted from this portion of the Scripture when He said: That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias (Isaiah) the prophet, saying, Behold My Servant, whom I have chosen (Matt. 12:17-18). He didn't say "Behold the great King," or "Behold the Son of God." He just said Behold My Servant.

The words My Servant in these verses refer to the Messiah, but the Christian today should also develop this attitude. What greater privilege could we have than to serve in obedience to the Lord! One who is willing to be the servant of the Lord will — like the Master — with an unassuming attitude, also serve his fellowman. God is calling the Church to be just like Jesus to the world. And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant (20:27). One of these attitudes includes servanthood to mankind. We are challenged by the Word of God to have the heart of a servant as we look at those in the world that have a need. The need could be physical, spiritual, or emotional. Regardless of the nature of the need, God is calling us as believers, to step in and help as He would. In doing this, we serve the Lord. For I was an hungred, and ye gave Me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave Me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took Me in: Naked, and ye clothed Me: I was sick, and ye visited Me: I was in prison, and ye came unto Me. Then shall the righteous answer Him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed Thee? . . . And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these My brethren, ye have done it unto Me (25:35-40).

Many are still waiting for the Lord to call them to do something special. But while we are waiting, we must be serving Him where we are. There are opportunities all around us to serve the Lord. Your mission field might be halfway around the world or it may be right on your own street.

And whosoever of you will be the chiefest, shall be servant of all. For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give His life a ransom for many (Mark 10:44-45).

Thought for Today:

A faithful servant desires to please his Master.
Christ Revealed:

As the Creator (Is. 40:28; comp. John 1:1-3); as the Shepherd (Is. 40:11; comp. John 10:11); as the Redeemer (Is. 41:14; comp. Gal. 3:13; I Pet. 1:18-19; Rev. 5:9).
Word Studies:

38:10 residue, remainder; 40:2 comfortably, kindly and tenderly; 40:12 meted out, measured; span, spread of the fingers; 42:4 isles, Gentiles are mentioned in Is. 42:1, so the isles in 42:4 refer to the isles of the Gentiles (see Gen. 10:5); 42:13 jealousy, His fury.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Clarence Rathbone • Country: Papua New Guinea (5 million) in the southwestern Pacific • Major languages: 715 indigenous languages • Religious freedom • 64% Protestant; 33% Roman Catholic; 2% ancestor worship, belief in spirits, and witchcraft • Prayer Suggestion: Ask God for daily direction (Ps. 48:14).
Optional Reading: James 3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Isaiah 43 -- 46

Highlights:

Powerful promises of the Lord's love and protection; prophecy of our Savior's redeeming work and Jerusalem's restoration. Cyrus is introduced. Warning against idols (chap. 46 of Isaiah). Don't miss vs. 13! What a promise!!
Only the Spirit of God could have given Isaiah such amazing details about a man named Cyrus at least 150 years before he was born. Thus saith the Lord . . . I am the Lord . . . that saith to Jerusalem, Thou shalt be inhabited; and to the cities of Judah, Ye shall be built, and I will raise up the decayed places thereof . . . That saith of Cyrus, He is My shepherd, and shall perform all My pleasure (Is. 44:24-28).

When Isaiah foretold that God would will raise up the decayed places thereof, there were no decayed places in Jerusalem. The Temple was still standing; the walls were in perfect condition; and the nation was still enjoying freedom and prosperity. Furthermore, it seemed most unlikely that a world conqueror would release the Jews and then urge them to return to Jerusalem to rebuild their Temple for the God of heaven and even help finance it and restore the Temple vessels (Neh. 1:4; Ezra 1:1-4,7-8). No prophecy seemed more unlikely to be fulfilled. Yet, all these things happened exactly as Isaiah foretold.

Heaven and earth shall pass away, but My words shall not pass away (Matt. 24:35). The city of Babylon was divided into two sections by the River Euphrates. The solid walls surrounding all of Babylon were over 300 feet high and about 80 feet wide — broad enough for four chariots to be driven side by side on the top. Cyrus dug an immense canal north of Babylon and diverted the River Euphrates into this canal. Then he marched his army at night through the unguarded two-leaved (folding) gates across the entrance in the vacant river bed.

Who told Isaiah such minute details and named a man that would rule a kingdom which, at that time did not exist? Who told him the man would conquer a world empire and set free a slave nation that, at the time of the prophecy, was still enjoying its freedom in its own land? Who would have prophesied that in over 150 years the Lord God would dry up thy rivers (Is. 44:27) — that the Euphrates would be diverted from flowing through Babylon? How could Isaiah foresee that the guards of Babylon, who always closed the folding gates at sunset and stood guard throughout the night, would neglect on that particular night to close them (45:1)? Only God, who knows all things that will come to pass, could have told him.

Praise ye the Lord. O give thanks unto the Lord; for He is good: for His mercy endureth for ever (Ps. 106:1).

Thought for Today:

For the Lord is good; His mercy is everlasting; and His Truth endureth to all generations (Ps. 100:5).
Christ Revealed:

As the Redeemer (Is. 43:1; 44:22-24). Through His death on the cross, Christ has redeemed (bought back) all who trust Him as their Savior (I Cor. 6:20; Gal. 4:4-5; Titus 2:13-14; I Pet. 1:18-19).
Word Studies:

43:2 fire oppression; kindle upon consume; 43:13 let it prevent it from happening; 44:9 delectable cherished; 45:1 loose the loins of weaken; two leaved gates double gates; 46:12 stouthearted stubborn-minded.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Lt. Col. & Mrs. Walter Swanson • Country: Slovenia (2 million) in southeastern Europe • Major languages: Slovenian and Serbo-Croatian • Freedom of religion • 81% Roman Catholic; 1% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Thank the Lord for hearing your prayers (Ps. 28:6-7).
Optional Reading:

James 4

Memory Verse for the Week:

II Timothy 3:1
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Isaiah 47 – 51

Highlights:

Judgment on Babylon; Christ, a Light to the Gentiles; God's mercy to Israel in her captivity.
I will also give Thee for a Light to the Gentiles; that Thou mayest be My salvation unto the end of the earth (Is. 49:6).

At the time Mary and Joseph were approaching the Temple with Baby Jesus, Simeon was waiting for the Light to lighten the Gentiles (Luke 2:32). God had revealed to Simeon that he would not die until after he had seen the consolation of Israel (2:25).

When he saw Mary and Joseph, there was nothing to indicate that the baby they held was the Prince of peace. These two humble peasants were bringing the child to the Temple to present Him to the Lord . . . And to offer a sacrifice according to . . . the Law of the Lord (2:22-24).

Simeon was equally unpretentious. He was not the high priest; he was not even a priest. He was only a devout, godly Jew looking for the coming of the Lord. Holding the Baby Jesus, he announced the fulfillment of the prophecy which was given to Isaiah 700 years before our Savior's birth. The foretelling of our Lord's coming had been prophesied for a very long time. Many people had probably come to doubt that the Savior was coming. Some had probably lost all faith that it would happen. However, Simeon and other believers like him had kept their confidence in the Word of God. They were waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ (I Cor. 1:7). They were waiting on God to fulfill His promise. We should likewise be ready for the Lord to return. For the Lord Himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord (I Thess. 4:16-17).

How easy it is to miss some of the greatest moments of our lives! We must continually be watchful and listening to hear from God. He is always on the move and He speaks to His children. We must be tuned in to hear what God is saying to us. Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me (Rev. 3:20). We, like Simeon, must be ready to be moved by the Spirit of God!

For mine eyes have seen Thy salvation, Which Thou has prepared before the face of all people; A Light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of Thy people Israel (Luke 2:30-32).

Thought for Today:

God reveals His will to those who humbly seek to please Him.
Christ Revealed:

As the Light to the Gentiles (nations) (Is. 49:6). Jesus said: I am the Light of the world (John 8:12; 9:5; Luke 2:32; Acts 13:47; 26:23).
Word Studies:

47:8 carelessly, securely; 47:11 put it off, avert or avoid it; 47:15 quarter, own region; 48:2 stay, rely; 48:10 refined, tested; not with silver, not like silver, which requires heat you could not bear; 49:21 removing, wandering.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Rev. Gladys V. Davis • Staff: Karen Hawkins • Country: Peru (26 million) on the western coast of South America • Major languages: Spanish and Quechua • Open to evangelism and Bible distribution • 90% Christian; 8% non-Religious/Other; 1.2% Traditional ethnic; .3% Buddhist; .09% Baha'i; .02% Jewish • Prayer Suggestion: Trust the Lord for deliverance in times of trouble (Ps. 50:15).
Optional Reading: James 5

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Isaiah 52 – 57

Highlights:

Christ to bear our grief, sufferings, and sins; everyone a sinner; a call to faith and repentance.
Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the Lord revealed? . . . He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon Him; and with His stripes we are healed (Is. 53:1,5).

Thank God for His Word! It is His report to us. The suffering that the Messiah was to endure to redeem sinful man was foretold by Isaiah. Isaiah said: Who hath believed our report? After all, the report was given about 700 years before the birth of Christ. It is understandable people doubted his words. As we read the first four books of the New Testament, we realize that these "reports" of Isaiah were all fulfilled — from the naming of the place of Jesus' birth to the details of His sacrificial death.

Christ miraculously fed the multitudes, healed the sick, and raised the dead. But not one soul would ever have been saved if Christ had not suffered and died on the cross. It was there by His wonderful love and mercy, that He paid the supreme sacrifice so our sins could be forgiven. Isaiah, who wrote this prophecy, was included when he said that Christ was wounded for our transgressions. The salvation of those who lived before Christ's death was dependent on the forthcoming crucifixion and the resurrection of the Messiah. Christ Jesus alone was the perfect man who could offer Himself in our place.

Praise the Lord that He saw His mission through to the end. The Lord Jesus could have stopped short of the cross, but He knew it was all necessary for the salvation of all mankind, not just the generation in which He lived. The death of Christ on the cross paid the sin debt for all generations past, present, and future. And, having made peace through the blood of His cross, by Him to reconcile all things unto Himself; by Him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven (Col. 1:20).

Let us earnestly endeavor to report faithfully His message of salvation to a lost and dying world. The only way the world will hear this message is from those who believe in Christ. As this report came to us, it is our responsibility to take it to all the world. The day will come when He will call us to make a report to Him.

For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad (II Cor. 5:10).

Thought for Today:

None of our ways are hidden from the Lord.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who was rejected by His own people (Is. 53:3; comp. Luke 23:18; John 1:11); remained silent when He was falsely accused (Is. 53:7; Mark 15:3-5); was buried with the rich (Is. 53:9; Matt. 27:57-60); and was crucified with sinners (Is. 53:12; Mark 15:27-28).
Word Studies:

52:1 uncircumcised = heathen (those without a covenant with God); 52:10 made bare His holy arm = revealed His power; 52:12 rereward = rear guard; 52:14 visage = appearance, countenance; 57:4 sport yourselves = ridicule; 57:17 frowardly = rebelliously.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Billy Long (MO) • Country: Philippines (76 million) in Southeast Asia • Major languages: Filipino and English • Religious persecution in some areas • 80% Catholic; 9% Protestant; 8% Muslim (mostly Sunni); 3% Other (Buddhist, Animist, non-Religious) • Prayer Suggestion: Confess your sins and ask the Lord to restore the joy of your salvation (Ps. 51:1-3,12).
Optional Reading: I Peter 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Isaiah 58 – 63

Highlights:

A description of true fasting; blessings of affliction; Christ's proclamation.
The Spirit of the Lord God is upon Me; because the Lord hath anointed Me to preach good tidings unto the meek; He hath sent Me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound (Is. 61:1).

Our Lord came as a servant to bind up the brokenhearted and set the captive free. Each person who has been redeemed by the blood of Jesus the Lamb should accept their responsibility to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty. This work of the Lord is one of the highest privileges of a child of God. Our labors on behalf of less fortunate ones show our nearness and likeness to Him, who ever liveth to make intercession for them (Heb. 7:25).

A servant of God cares about other people and is a living trophy of God's forgiving love and His will. Furthermore, when the needs of others are made known to him, he brings these needs before God in prayer and gives words of comfort to his fellowman. The believer will do his best to be like Jesus to the world around him. He will try in every way to represent Christ. The best way to do this is by becoming a servant to the world. The true heart of a servant was within Christ and by His transforming power will be inside every believer. As this heart is inside us, we will follow the Lord's example: If any man serve Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there shall also My servant be: if any man serve Me, him will My Father honour (John 12:26).

The daily responsibility of the servant is to be in harmony with the Master's will. As God is holy, the servant also seeks to be holy as he strives to represent his Master. Not only are we to carry out the Lord's service, we are also to be conformed to His likeness in our lifestyle as well. Although by grace are ye saved through faith . . . we are . . . created in Christ Jesus unto good works (Eph. 2:8-10). We show our love towards God and our fellowman through our deeds (works). Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great Commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself (Matt. 22:37-39). By showing this love, we are truly representing Christ.

Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another (Rom. 12:10).

Thought for Today:

If you have experienced the joy of salvation, tell someone.
Christ Revealed:

As the One anointed to preach Good Tidings (Is. 61:1). Jesus read this passage to the rulers of the synagogue (Luke 4:16-22) but stopped without completing the second verse (Is. 61:2), thus showing that He fulfilled the first part. But, the second part, the Day of Judgment, was yet to be fulfilled.
Word Studies:

60:5 see, and flow together = become enlightened, and shine forth the Light of God; fear = be in awe (be amazed at what God is doing), and then when that has registered, comes the joy; 61:3 appoint = impart comfort; 62:4 Hephzibah = My delight is in her; Beulah = married; 63:15 the sounding of thy bowels = the yearning affection of your heart.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Connie Mack (FL) • Country: Poland (38.6 million) in eastern Europe • Major language: Polish • Religious freedom • 96% Roman Catholic (including Greek Catholic — .31%); 1.56% Orthodox; .5% Protestant; .01% Muslim; .01% Far Eastern Religions; 1.7% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Ask for forgiveness for particular sins (Ps. 51:1-9).
Optional Reading: I Peter 2

Memory Verse for the Week: Isaiah 55:11

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Isaiah 64 – 66

Highlights:

Our righteousness as filthy rags; prayer for God's presence; the New Jerusalem; promises of inward contentment.
For thus saith the Lord, Behold, I will extend peace to her like a river, and the glory of the Gentiles like a flowing stream (Is. 66:12).

There is a peace of God that passeth all understanding (Phil. 4:7) — as never-ending as a great and mighty river. This peace is the promised inheritance of every child of God. Jesus said: Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled (John 14:27).

Our Lord didn't promise freedom from suffering; nor did He promise success and prosperity. But He did promise an inward peace like a well of water springing up into everlasting life (4:14). This peace that comes from the Lord is so different from anything the world can give. There really is no comparison because there is nothing in this life that can offer true peace except for the Prince of Peace, Himself. The best the world can offer us is a temporary "cease fire". This means maybe for a short time we might experience some calm from the storms of life. This calm is temporary and rooted in deception.

The peace of God is, in fact, long lasting and eternal. This peace does not mean that we will not endure trials and tribulations. It simply means we have someone carrying us through it all. Our God can be compared to the pilot that guides the plane through a safe spot in a massive storm. This peace is truly hard to describe or comprehend unless you have felt it in your own heart. How do we find this true peace? For the believer, it is found in faith and hope in Christ Jesus and His Word (see II Thess. 2:16-17; Heb. 6:18-20; I Pet. 1:3-5). If you belong to Christ, this is yours: Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost (Rom. 15:13).

Christ the Living Water, should flow from the life of those who have made Him Lord of their lives. It is the Holy Ghost living inside us that will empower us to live in a way that the love and peace of Christ flows out of us for all the world to see. When God has full control of our lives, we will be like a fountain for Christ.

If any man thirst, let him come unto Me, and drink. He that believeth on Me, as the Scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water (John 7:37-38).

Thought for Today:

We can live in perfect peace when we keep our minds stayed on the Lord.
Christ Revealed:

As the Creator of new heavens and a new earth (Is. 65:17; 66:22; comp. John 1:1-3; II Pet. 3:13). As the One whose glory will be declared among the nations (Is. 66:18-19; Rev. 5:12-13).
Word Studies:

64:3 terrible = awesome, revered greatly, greatly to be feared; 64:11 are laid waste = have been destroyed; 65:14 howl for vexation of spirit = cry out in misery; 66:6 voice = sound.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Pam Murton • Government Official: Rep. Pete J. Visclosky (IN) • Country: Portugal (10 million) in western Europe • Major language: Portuguese • Limited religious freedom • 95% Christian; 5% non-Religious/Other; .5% Muslim; .1% Hindu; .01% Jewish • Prayer Suggestion: Thank God for His mercy to cleanse from all sins (Ps. 51:2).
Optional Reading: I Peter 3

Memory Verse for the Week: Isaiah 55:11

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk