Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Proverbs 16 – 19

Highlights:

The values of pleasing the Lord and choosing wisdom.
An ungodly man diggeth up evil: and in his lips there is a burning fire. A froward man soweth strife: and a whisperer separateth chief friends (Prov. 16:27-28).

Once words have escaped the lips, they cannot be recovered. The damage done by insults and careless gossip possibly exceeds the damage done by crimes that have sent others to prison. The Lord includes gossipers, backbiters, whisperers, and maliciousness among the vilest of sins (Rom. 1:28-32). We must remember that as we speak evil of someone that we may never be able to reverse what has been said. You might be able to make retribution for some crimes; give back money that was stolen; repair property that was vandalized; even pay the medical cost for an assault; but you can't undo murder! That is exactly what we are capable of doing with our lips. We can destroy the character and testimony of people who are often not even remotely guilty of that for which they are accused. We must reign in our tongues. For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile (I Pet. 3:10).

Thoughtless gossip releases a cruel stream that flows on and on, spreading destruction wherever it goes. The psalmist's prayer should be ours: Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips (Ps. 141:3). We must ask the Lord to help us guard against speaking evil of one another. We are not instructed by the Word to tear each other down. To the contrary, God's Word calls us to lift each other up. Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the Law of Christ (Gal. 6:2).

Words of criticism that were spoken as idle conversation are no longer idle. They are very busy, undermining the helpless victim. These words go on impacting the life of the person they have been spoken against for years to come. Rumors spread much quicker than you could ever imagine. That is why Jesus so strongly condemned this vicious evil, saying: Every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment (Matt. 12:36).

Paul outlines the Christian way in Phil. 4:8-9. He also tells us to: Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt (Col. 4:6). Titus cautions us to speak evil of no man (Tit. 3:2). James warns that even though the tongue cannot be tamed we are to speak not evil of another (James 4:11).

Thought for Today:

The destructive force of evil words goes on and on.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who punishes the proud (Prov. 16:5). Jesus said: Whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased (humbled); and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted (Luke 14:11). As the Friend that sticketh closer than a brother (Prov. 18:24), Jesus is our Friend (John 15:14-15) and will never leave (us), nor forsake (us) (Heb. 13:5).
Word Studies:

16:2 spirits, motives; 16:8 without right, dishonestly gained; 17:18 striketh hands . . . surety, gives a pledge to be responsible for his neighbor's debts; 18:2 discover itself, express itself; 18:3 with ignominy reproach, with dishonor and disgrace; 19:3 fretteth, is resentful; 19:7 they are wanting to him, they abandon him; 19:13 a continual dropping, an unending irritation.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Micheal Moore • Government Official: Sen. Claire McCaskill (MO) • Country: Mozambique (19 million) on the eastern coast of Africa • Major language: Portuguese • Religious freedom • 40% worship of false gods, ancestral spirits, and some witchcraft; 23% Roman Catholic; 14% Protestant; 13% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Bless the Lord at all times regardless of circumstances (Ps. 34:1).
Optional Reading: Hebrews 1

Memory Verse for the Week: Galatians 6:9

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Proverbs 20 – 22

Highlights:

Deception of wine; sovereignty of God over the kings of the earth; moral virtues rewarded.
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it (Prov. 22:6).

Obedience is the key to pleasing God. Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God (Col. 3:22). It is the parents' responsibility to teach their small children to be obedient. Correct thy son, and he shall give thee rest; yea, he shall give delight unto thy soul (Prov. 29:17).

Some parents do not correct their children when they do wrong. But the blessing of the discipline far exceeds the pain, as expressed by the psalmist when he said: Before I was afflicted I went astray: but now have I kept Thy Word (Ps. 119:67).

The cruelest injustice a parent can inflict upon his child is to send him into the world undisciplined. To love is to chasten. The all wise-God has said: He that spareth his rod hateth his son (Prov. 13:24). How contrary to the popular way of thinking! How unrealistic is the philosophy of many parents who say they love their child too much to discipline him! The Lord has said: Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him (22:15). If we really truly love, we must discipline our children. If our children go into this world believing there are no consequences for their behavior, there will be a quick, painful wake-up call in life. They need to learn that there is a cost to everything in life.

Ignoring the need to discipline a child shows a lack of concern for his ultimate destiny. Children are admonished to obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. When discipline is necessary it should be firm, yet it should manifest the gracious love of Christ. Fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord (Eph. 6:1,4).

For every action, there is a reaction. Someone always has rule over you. This could relate to any part of your life. This could be your boss, landlord, or a professor. Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you (Heb. 13:17).

Despise not thou the chastening of the Lord . . . For whom the Lord loveth He chasteneth (Heb. 12:5-6).

Thought for Today:

Unless a child has learned to be obedient to his parents, he will not learn obedience to God.
Christ Revealed:

As the King who sits on the throne of judgment (Prov. 20:8). For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son (John 5:22).
Word Studies:

20:10 divers, differing; 20:19 meddle not, do not associate; 20:25 make inquiry, reconsider; 21:7 robbery, violence; 21:9 brawling, contentious; 21:14 a reward in the bosom, a secret gift; 22:2 meet together, have this in common; 22:26 sureties for, responsible for.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Barbara Jean Jackson • Country: Myanmar (formerly Burma) (48.1 million) in Southeast Asia • Major languages: Burmese and ethnic languages • Limited religious freedom • 87.5% Buddhist; 6% Christian; 4% Muslim (mainly Sunni); 1% animist; .5% Hindu; 1% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Magnify the Lord; exalt His Name (Ps. 34:3).
Optional Reading: Hebrews 2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Proverbs 23 – 26

Highlights:

Moral, ethical, and spiritual precepts; comparisons, warnings, and instructions; observations of Solomon.
Wisdom is too high for a fool: he openeth not his mouth in the gate (Prov. 24:7).

Wisdom is too high for a fool. Therefore, he modifies the truth because he is influenced by fear of people or by circumstances, or by his own ambitions. He will accept God's wisdom only when it does not interfere with his own self-interest. Some things in the Word of God, we accept without issue. However, those things that impact us on a personal level are harder to accept. It is easy to stop something if it is not satisfying or enjoyable. When it is something we really enjoy, you and I will often contend with the Word to try to hold on to that thing we see no harm in doing.

We are tempted, at times to ignore or avoid the Truth when it conflicts with our personal interests or prejudices. There are times when some disregard their convictions in order to save themselves from an awkward situation! But a person who is truly wise, will proclaim the Truth — regardless of popular opinion in the gate — that is, in public.

The pitfall many fall into is when we begin to substitute human reasoning for God's revealed Word. God has said: Lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him (3:5-6).

To the wise, truth and loyalty to God are inseparable. There is satisfaction and a positive joy to be experienced in proclaiming the precious Truth of God's Word. But when we compromise that Truth, we hinder the work of the Holy Spirit, who alone can guide us into all Truth (John 16:13).

All material wealth and possessions can be sacrificed with little consequence, but no one can ever sacrifice Truth without spiritually damaging loss. We need to understand that all other things are temporary, but the Word of God is everlasting. Heaven and earth shall pass away, but My words shall not pass away (Matt. 24:35).

The Truth of God's Word is final and should govern all our associations and decisions. It is important to remember that the Word not only molds and shapes our lives but will have the final say over them. Looking unto Jesus the Author and Finisher of our faith; who . . . is set down at the right hand of the Throne of God (Heb. 12:2).

But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear (I Pet. 3:15).

Thought for Today:

To be committed to the wisdom of the Scriptures is to be on the side of God and of conscience.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who rewards those who repay evil with good (Prov. 25: 21-22). If thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink (Rom. 12:20). Jesus commanded: Love your enemies (Matt. 5:44; Luke 6:27,35).
Word Studies:

23:20 riotous, gluttonous; 24:26 Every man shall kiss his lips that giveth a right answer, A fair answer is as pleasant as a kiss on the lips; 25:9 discover not a secret to another, do not betray another man's confidence; 26:24 dissembleth, harbors deceit.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Ilene Wallace • Government Official: Rep. Martha Roby (AL) • Country: Namibia (1.6 million) in southwest Africa • Major languages: Afrikaans and German • Religious freedom • 89% Christian; 10% Traditional; 1% Other (Muslim, Jewish, Baha'i) • Prayer Suggestion: Pray and the Lord will free you from your fears (Ps. 34:4).
Optional Reading: Hebrews 3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Proverbs 27 – 31
Highlights:

Comparisons, warnings, and instructions; Agur's confession of his faith; the words of King Lemuel; praise of a virtuous woman.
Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the Law, happy is he (Prov. 29:18).

Without obedience to God's Word there is no vision. The Lord arranged these two thoughts together because they are vital to each other.

No vision does not refer to physical eyesight, nor does it refer to our dreams, goals, objectives, plans, or projects. When Samuel was a child the Bible says the Word of the Lord was precious . . . there was no open vision (I Sam. 3:1). Vision is the revelation of the Truth of God's Word by the Holy Spirit. It results in inner peace — happy is he.

Samuel was called the seer — the man with a vision for fulfilling God's will. God chose him to be a prophet because he had an intense desire to do God's will. This can be observed in his response to God: Speak; for Thy servant heareth (3:10). In contrast, the sons of Eli the priest disregarded God's Word and were, therefore, rejected as His servants. It is impossible to be a true servant of God if we will not obey His Word.

After hearing the parable of the seed and the sower, many who heard thought it was too difficult to understand. But Jesus said the difficulty was not in the parable, but in the hearts of the hearers which are waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed (Matt. 13:15).

Paul prayed that the eyes of your understanding would be enlightened to know the treasures of God's riches (Eph. 1:18). The treasures of the Lord are found in the Scriptures. As we continue to read all of God's Word, the eyes of our understanding will be opened and our spiritual vision will come into clear focus. It is then and only then that we will see where the true King of our lives, Jesus, wants us to go. Until this time, our vision has not been clear. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known (I Cor. 13:12). However, now we can find the golden nuggets of God's Word and apply them to our lives. We can truly become men and women of vision that God desires for us to be.

As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the Word, that ye may grow thereby: If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious (I Pet. 2:2-3).

Thought for Today:

As you read God's Word each day, pray for understanding.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who descended from and ascended to heaven (Prov. 30:4). Jesus came down from heaven, even the Son of Man which is (now) in heaven (John 3:13).
Word Studies:

27:16 Whosoever hideth her hideth the wind, Restraining a contentious woman is like attempting to hold the wind; 28:11 searcheth him out, sees through him; 28:14 that feareth alway, who is always reverent; 28:17 stay, help; 29:10 seek his soul, has concern for his well-being; 30:23 odious, hateful.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Kevin Jennings • Government Officials: Rep. William Lacy Clay, Jr. (MO) and Rep. Glenn Thompson, Jr. (PA) • Country: Nauru (11,000) in the central Pacific • Major languages: Nauruan and English • Religious freedom • 57% Protestant; 24% Roman Catholic; 10% Buddhist and Chinese folk-religionist • Prayer Suggestion: Revere and worship the Lord with godly fear and you will have no want (Ps. 34:9).
Optional Reading: Hebrews 4

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ecclesiastes 1 – 4
Highlights:

The vanity of living for pleasure and material gain; a reason for everything; varied proverbs of wisdom.
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven (Eccl. 3:1).

There is a time for everything we do. Many feel they do not have enough time to pray and read God's Word, but just the opposite is true. Unless we give God time to reveal Himself to us, He cannot reveal His direction for our lives. As we pray and meditate on His Word, His thoughts become our thoughts, and we are strengthened to face our busy schedule. God will empower us to serve Him since the same Spirit that rests on Jesus is in the heart of every believer (Luke 4:14). If we put our total dependence on Him, God will equip us to walk in the path that He intends for us to travel. He will give us the desire to follow after His will instead of our own will. These desires will draw us to the Word of God even more. He will not direct us to do a task that is too difficult to accomplish. For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things (Acts 15:28).

It is the Christian's responsibility to devote part of his time to the Lord's service — not just spending an hour or so Sunday morning in church, but becoming involved in the work of the true Church, the Body of Christ. We should consider the idea of tithing our time as well as our money. We should give God His time each and every day. We are told to: Serve the Lord with gladness (Ps. 100:2). Paul goes even further by saying: I beseech you . . . present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service (Rom. 12:1). A block of time set aside to read the Word of God, pray and listen to how God answers. We need this spiritually as a believer.

However, our responsibility does not end by keeping a quiet time each and every day. Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth (II Tim. 2:15). We are also told to invest time to be a witness and soul-winner for the Kingdom of God. We should be sharing the good news of Jesus Christ every day. But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto Me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth (Acts 1:8).

The time is fulfilled, and the Kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the Gospel (Mark 1:15).

Thought for Today:

Life's greatest rewards go to those who meditate on the Word of God and live by its principles.
Christ Revealed:

As God, the true Source of wisdom, and knowledge, and joy — the One who truly satisfies (Eccl. 2:26). We have the mind of Christ which is wisdom, knowledge, and joy (I Cor. 2:16; see also Luke 21:15; John 15:11; Rom. 15:14).
Word Studies:

1:13 sore travail, grievous task; 1:17 madness and folly, the ways of the foolish; vexation of spirit, very unsatisfying; grasping after the wind; 2:21 in equity, with skill; portion, inheritance.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Country: Nepal (24.3 million) a mountain-ringed Himalayan state between Tibet and India • Major language: Nepali • Limited religious freedom • 85% Hindu; 10% Buddhist; 3% Muslim; 2% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Pray that God will keep you from speaking evil (Ps. 34:13).
Optional Reading: Hebrews 5

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ecclesiastes 5 – 8
Highlights:

Caution against hasty vows; the vanity of riches; wisdom and goodness upheld; respect for rulers.
It is better to hear the rebuke of the wise, than for a man to hear the song of fools. For as the crackling of thorns under the pot, so is the laughter of the fool . . . Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry: for anger resteth in the bosom of fools (Eccl. 7:5-6,9).

Even as Solomon considered life under the sun (Eccl. 1:3,9,14; 2:11,17-20,22) he gave wise counsel for any of us who consider life and its struggles. We need to reflect on what our goals will be and we need someone to give godly advice. In the multitude of counsellers there is safety (Prov. 11:14; 2:6). Many, as they look back over their lives, wish they had listened to the counsel of someone who had foresight. This is especially true in choosing goals that have lasting value.

Solomon did many frivolous things but he described them as vanity of vanities (1:2). Times of recreation in moderation are not condemned in the Scripture, but wasting our time is. We are instructed: See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil (Eph. 5:15-16).

Why do we get angry? Solomon wisely says be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry but he didn't stop there. He says anger is the way of the fool. That is, someone who exercises no self-control, but allows any kind of irritation to provoke him. The Spirit of the Lord directed Solomon to write the benefits of being slow to anger (Prov. 16:32).

Is it ever right to become angry? Often anger is stirred up when someone wrongs us, or when one feels another person disagrees for a wrong reason. When our anger or our pride is stirred up for personal reasons, we are sinning. We all need to use self-control. We should be angry at sin but not angry at the sinner. God says: Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath (Eph. 4:26).

The Preacher, Solomon, shared many lessons with us that he learned from his experience. As we consider that this Book looks at life under the sun, we realize that God wants us to understand that only searching for meaning in life from a human perspective will always end in futility. Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition (I Cor. 10:11).

If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him (James 1:5).

Thought for Today:

A search for wisdom without God ends in deception.
Christ Revealed:

As One who expects us to keep our vows made to Him (Eccl. 5:4). So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God (Rom. 14:12).
Word Studies:

5:12 suffer, permit; 5:13 sore evil, great adversity or affliction; 5:14 evil travail, misfortunes; 6:3 an untimely birth, stillbirth or miscarriage; 7:2 lay, take; 7:12 excellency, advantage; 7:26 bands, chains.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in memory of Letha Hash • Government Official: Rep. Jeff Denham (CA) and Rep. Diana L. DeGette (CO) • Country: Netherlands (15.8 million) in northwestern Europe • Major language: Dutch • Religious freedom • 35% Catholic; 28% Protestant; 3% Muslim; 1% Hindu; .9% Buddhist; .1% Jewish; 2% Other; 30% Unaffiliated • Prayer Suggestion: Call to the Lord for help; He will save you out of your troubles (Ps. 34:17).
Optional Reading: Hebrews 6

Memory Verse for the Week: Galatians 6:10

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ecclesiastes 9 – 12

Highlights:

Struggles of the righteous and the wicked; wisdom better than strength; observations of wisdom versus folly; the Creator to be remembered.
Remember now thy Creator (Eccl. 12:1).

The Christian accepts creation as the work of the Creator — just as it is written in the Book of Genesis. It is no mystery to the child of faith that a kernel of corn produces corn, that a monkey has always been a monkey, and that man was distinctly set apart as the special creation of God — created in His own image (Gen. 1:27). Yes, it is true that things do evolve. We can grow comfortable in different climates. Animals many times change their diets based on what is available. We and they evolved to survive. However, just as we have already mentioned, a dog was never a fish. An elephant was never a bug. And you I were never apes. We have been what we are since God created us and will remain so. And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind. . . . And God saw every thing that He had made, and, behold, it was very good (Gen. 1:25,31).

Volumes of speculative theories about the Creator have been printed by God-denying scientists in an effort to refute the clear, literal, and obvious fact that a Creator is in control of all things. The Word of God states: In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth (1:1). There is so much proof for this Truth. The universe is full of scripted order. An obvious specific plan had to be in place for so many things to work in unison. If there was a plan, there had to be a planner. Anything that has an intelligent design must have had a designer. Who is this planner or designer? The Word of God is very clear on the subject. God . . . Hath . . . spoken . . . by His Son . . . by whom also He made the worlds (Heb. 1:1-2).

For by Him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth (Col. 1:16).

God is the only explanation for man's existence. The creation of the universe and life itself have withstood every skeptic examination. Science has tried time and time again to refute the Bible. However, so many times science has found itself just catching up to God's Word. Many great scientific discoveries by brilliant men and women were made and given great accolades. However, on occasion, that discovery could have been found in God's Word.

All things were made by Him; and without Him was not any thing made that was made (John 1:3).

Thought for Today:

All the wisdom of man cannot improve upon what God has written in His Word.
Christ Revealed:

In the statement: For God shall bring every work into judgment (Eccl. 12:14). Jesus will judge all, for the Father (God) judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son (Jesus) (John 5:22).
Word Studies:

10:14 is full of words, talks as though he knows everything about which he knows nothing; 10:15 he knoweth not how to go to the city, he is ignorant concerning the most obvious matters; 12:11 goads, rods sharpened at the ends, used in driving oxen (Judg. 3:31; I Sam. 13:21); The words of the wise are as goads, The words of wisdom rouse into action to do right.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Tifany Edwards • Government Official: Rep. Francisco R. Canseco (TX) • Country: New Zealand (4 million) two large islands southeast of Australia • Major languages: English and Maori • Religious freedom • 51% Protestant; 16% Roman Catholic; 3% cults • Prayer Suggestion: Pray not to be envious of others (Ps. 37:1).
Optional Reading: Hebrews 7

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Song of Solomon 1 – 8

Highlights:

The virtues of married love — a type of the Church and its love for Christ.
I am my beloved's, and his desire is toward me (Song of Solomon 7:10).

The Song of Solomon is a poem of love. It reveals the mutual love that should exist between husband and wife and thereby teaches us to honor marriage as a gift from the Creator. It is God who created the institution of marriage. He did this in the very beginning.

God gives us two beautiful examples of pure, simple love in Scripture. It was God who led Eve, the first bride, to her admiring bridegroom and they became man and . . . wife (Gen. 2:22-25). A respect for the purity and holiness of the physical bond of love as seen through the eyes of God will also lead us to a better appreciation for the love relationship that should exist in the believer's heart toward His Lord.

Many see in the Song of Solomon a parable of the great love of Christ for His Church and the believer's desire and enjoyment of Christ's love. God clearly says: Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the Church, and gave Himself for it; That He might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the Word, That He might present it to Himself a glorious Church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself (Eph. 5:25-28).

Even as the shepherdess-maid longed to see her beloved, so the believer now loves an unseen Savior. Christ is the Great Lover of our souls. We should long for Him even more than we would even for the great love of our lives if he or she was absent from us. Christ should be in our thoughts constantly. We should ache inside and out to be able to see Him, talk to Him and be with Him for all eternity. Jesus has that kind of love for all of us. His is true love. Those who know Him as our personal Savior are part of His bride, the Church. That is the kind of love that we should have for Jesus Christ the Savior of our souls.

Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us, and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another. . . . We love Him, because He first loved us (I John 4:10-11,19).

Thought for Today:

Lord, help us to express love to others as You express Your love to us.
Christ Revealed:

As the chiefest (outstanding) among ten thousand (Song 5:10). Jesus is the KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS (Rev. 19:16).
Word Studies:

1:3 savour, fragrance; 1:11 borders, ornaments; 1:12 spikenard, perfume; 1:16 our bed is green, we recline on a grassy field; 2:5 Stay me, Invigorate me; flagons, delicacies; sick of love, overcome; lovesick; 4:4 bucklers, small shields; 5:4 bowels, heart; 8:5 raised, awakened.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Rick Hash • Government Officials: Gov. Deval Patrick (MA), Rep. Betty Sutton (OH), and Rep. Joe Wilson (SC) • Country: Nicaragua (5 million) in Central America • Major languages: Spanish and English • Limited religious freedom • 95% Roman Catholic; 5% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart (Ps. 37:4).
Optional Reading: Hebrews 8

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Isaiah 1 – 4

Highlights:

Isaiah's burden — the nation's sin; Isaiah's exhortation for repentance; coming of Christ's Kingdom; Jerusalem's glorious future.
The ox knoweth his owner, and the ass his master's crib: but Israel doth not know, my people doth not consider (Is. 1:3).

During Isaiah's ministry, the ten-tribed nation of Israel was defeated by Assyria. The nation had provoked the Holy One of Israel unto anger (1:4) by their disloyalty to God in turning to false gods. Isaiah's burden was to call the remaining small nation of Judah back to the Lord: Make you clean . . . cease to do evil. . . . let us walk in the light of the Lord (1:16; 2:5).

Even though God had chosen them to be His people, delivered them from Egyptian slavery, taken them through the wilderness journeys, and given them the promised land, they did not remain faithful to Him. God had fulfilled every promise He had made to them. They still chose to turn their backs on Him. The Lord had previously instructed them: Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image . . . to bow down unto it: for I am the Lord your God (Lev. 26:1). Consequently the prophet Isaiah looked far beyond their sins and God's imminent judgment to a glorious future when God's people would be established in peace.

We should give thanks to God that He does not look at us as we are, but He looks to what we can become. God can look into the depths of our hearts to see the potential we have stored inside. He knows the person we are intended to be. We will attain that place of perfection once we graduate from this sinful life to the next life that has no sin. This is promised for those who belong to Christ Jesus. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory (I Cor. 15:54).

We look forward to the day when the King of kings shall reign — when the Lord alone shall be exalted (Is. 2:17). That will be the day when we no longer are at war with our enemy the devil. He will be gone from our lives forever. We will live in perfect peace forever and ever.

Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God (II Cor. 7:1).

Thought for Today:

Continued disobedience blinds one's eyes to the will of God.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who will judge the nations (Is. 2:2-4). The Lord Jesus Christ . . . shall judge the quick and the dead at His appearing (II Tim. 4:1).
Word Studies:

1:13 vain oblations, worthless sacrifices offered by hypocrites; 2:12 day of the Lord, the coming judgment upon the unfaithful as well as the time of rejoicing for the faithful; 3:18 cauls, and their round tires like the moon, headbands bejeweled with sun and moon ornaments; 3:22 crisping pins, money bags or purses; 3:24 stomacher, rich robe; 4:4 blood of Jerusalem, Jerusalem was guilty of killing innocent prophets.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for our Military worldwide • Staff: Jennifer Cunningham Palafox • Government Official: Rep. Sue Wilkins Myrick (NC) • Country: Niger (10 million) in west-central Africa • Major languages: French and Hausa • Christian evangelism is limited • 89% Muslim; 10% animist; .4% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Sing praises to God, for He hears your prayers and delivers you (Ps. 40:1-3).
Optional Reading: Hebrews 9

NOTE: Bible Pathway covers the Old Testament with devotional and commentary insights over a nine-month period, January through September. Each day during these months, an optional reading of one chapter a day from the New Testament will also be listed. The October, November, and December issues will provide a daily commentary on the New Testament readings. Thus, the reader goes through the New Testament twice each year using the Bible Pathway plan.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Isaiah 5 – 9
Highlights:

God's judgment upon sinners; Isaiah's vision of God's holiness; his prayer for Israel; Christ's birth and Kingdom foretold.
Ask thee a sign of the Lord thy God; ask it either in the depth, or in the height above. But Ahaz said, I will not ask, neither will I tempt the Lord (Is. 7:11-12).

The kingdoms of Israel and Syria joined forces and declared war against the kingdom of Judah. This was done in revenge because Ahaz, king of Judah, refused to join them in a war against Assyria.

It was during this time that God sent Isaiah to tell King Ahaz that his kingdom would not be defeated by these two nations. To assure him of victory, God told Ahaz: Ask for a sign (7:11). But Ahaz refused to ask for a sign of assurance concerning the outcome of the war. He did not have faith in God's Word and proceeded with his own scheme to seek help from the king of Assyria.

When our lives are not in right standing with God, we will find it hard to trust in anything, especially the promises of God. If we do not study the Word of God, it is next to impossible to have a total confidence in the lessons it proclaims.We must read, study, and believe God's Word. Then these promises become real to us. Ahaz could not trust in that which he had no belief. The only path to ultimate victory is a full belief, trust, and dependence on God Himself and His Word. But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through His Name (John 20:31).

Even though the king was unfaithful to God in this hour of national crisis, God gave Israel further insight concerning the supernatural nature of the coming Messiah, saying: His Name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace (Is. 9:6). We serve a truly loving God who, even in our disobedience, causes the promise of Christ to still be proclaimed over our lives. But God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us (Rom. 5:8).

When we begin to read and believe God's Word, former fears will no longer seem so great. The Word of God will give us every assurance we need of what is to come in the future. There is no need to fear tomorrow when you have a personal, intimate relationship with the Lord. He is the One who holds tomorrow in His hands. Therefore, we can have confidence in the future as we allow God's Word to become part of us by hearing and obeying it. Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God (Rom. 10:17).

Thought for Today:

The Truth of God's Word will set us free from worry, fear, and inner conflict.
Christ Revealed:

Isaiah reveals that a Child shall be born; a Son shall be given; and that the government shall be upon His shoulder (Is. 9:6). The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of His Christ; and He shall reign for ever and ever (Rev. 11:15).
Word Studies:

5:1 vineyard, the Israelites; 5:5 go to, listen to Me; 5:23 reward, bribes; 7:16 abhorrest, hate, despise; 8:21 hardly bestead, sorely distressed, hard pressed; 9:9 stoutness, arrogance.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in memory of Dr. John A. Hash • Staff: Chris Robison • Government Official: Rep. Dan Boren (OK) • Country: Nigeria (113.8 million) in western Africa • Major languages: English and Hausa • Government permits all types of religious activity • 45% Muslim (largely Sunni); 40% Christian; 9% Indigenous; 6% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Pray to be sensitive in giving God the praise for everything you do (Ps. 95:7).
Optional Reading: Hebrews 10

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk