Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 52 – 59
Highlights:

Corrupt tendency of the tongue; thoughts of a fool; psalmist's trust in God; prayer for deliverance.
And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest. . . . For it was not an enemy that reproached me; then I could have borne it: neither was it he that hated me that did magnify himself against me; then I would have hid myself from him: But it was thou, a man mine equal, my guide, and mine acquaintance. We took sweet counsel together, and walked unto the House of God in company (Ps. 55:6,12-14).

David had experienced brokenheartedness because of the revolt and rebellion of his own son, Absalom, who had turned the people's hearts against his father and declared himself king. David probably was then not too surprised to discover that some of his friends also deceived him. When he discovered that Ahithophel, his most trusted adviser, not only had joined Absalom but had asked to personally execute him, David was shaken with grief. He expressed his deep disappointment in the hypocrisy and treachery of this one he called mine equal, my guide. Jesus also warned His disciples: If the world hate you, ye know that it hated Me before it hated you (John 15:18). He went on to say: And ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks, and friends; and some of you shall they cause to be put to death (Luke 21:16).

David's first reaction was a cry of helpless desperation. Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest. But David did not have wings like a dove, and he could not fly away; even if he could, there would have been no rest in doing so. Instead, he committed his problem to the Lord and trusted in Him. He had assurance that his God was able to sustain him in every trial and to accomplish His purpose for his life. Therefore, he included in his prayer, an encouragement to all of us by saying: Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and He shall sustain thee: He shall never suffer the righteous to be moved (Ps. 55:23).

Since we are the Lord's servants, we should not be greatly surprised when we are disappointed, deceived, or even betrayed by others because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour (I Pet. 5:8).

If they have persecuted Me, they will also persecute you . . . all these things will they do unto you for My Name's sake, because they know not Him that sent Me (John 15:20-21).

Thought for Today:

To be a servant of our Lord is the highest honor on earth.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who saves those who will call on Him (Ps. 55:16-17). And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the Name of the Lord shall be saved (Acts 2:21; also Rom. 10:13).
Word Studies:

53:3 filthy, corrupt; 55:4 sore, grievously; 55:9 divide their tongues, bring confusion to their counsel; 59:10 prevent, go before.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Iva Jo Swinsburg • Government Official: Rep. Sam Farr (CA) • Country: Lesotho (2 million) within the east-central part of the Republic of South Africa • Major languages: Sesotho and English • Limited religious freedom • 43% Roman Catholic; 30% Protestant; 6% ancestor worship, divination, and spirit-possession cults • Prayer Suggestion: Pray to the Lord with sincere lips (Ps. 17:1).
Optional Reading: I Thessalonians 3

Memory Verse for the Week: Revelation 22:12

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 60 – 66
Highlights:

David's prayer for deliverance from enemies; his confidence in God's promises; David's exhortation to praise God for His goodness.
My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from Him. . . . O Thou that hearest prayer, unto Thee shall all flesh come (Ps. 62:5; 65:2).

As Christians we often find ourselves in prayer with our mind full of thoughts that consist of our immediate wants or needs, seldom allowing time for God to respond. Our Lord's desire is for us to wait . . . only upon God, for His answer. While there is nothing wrong in praying for these things, there are more elements to prayer than just asking.

Prayer should be an interaction between God and man. We should pray with our hands raised to heaven, not only to receive but also in worshipful reverence to our Creator and Lord. This is a time to offer praise and repent of sin. However, that is just our speaking to God. There is a second part that is needed. What about allowing Him to speak to us? But He said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the Word of God, and keep it (Luke 11:28).

As we spend time in earnest prayer and meditation on the Word of God, the Holy Spirit reveals His will to us. It is through His Word that God speaks directly to us. By combining prayer and the Bible, we create a great spiritual refuge that the enemy will find it next to impossible to enter. We build a place of great defense to stand when the devil comes against us.

Waiting upon the Lord is not lost time. It doesn't mean doing nothing or having an attitude of "what will be, will be." Waiting upon the Lord is our way of developing a right relationship with Him. In waiting, we give God a chance to answer the prayers being offered up to Him. We allow God to lead us in the direction He wants us to go. The psalmist learned to give God time to speak to him: I wait for the Lord, my soul doth wait, and in His Word do I hope (Ps. 130:5).

Abraham waited for years. And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise (Heb. 6:15; Gen. 17:15-19). Listen for His voice to guide you down the road of His choosing. My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me (John 10:27). They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint (Is. 40:31).

Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer (Rom. 12:12).

Thought for Today:

God is never late in meeting our needs, but He often tests our faith.
Christ Revealed:

As the Rock — the unmovable, eternal, unchanging Savior (Ps. 61:2; 62:2,6-7). Jesus is the Rock of our salvation and that spiritual Rock (Petras) that followed (accompanied) them (Israelites) (I Cor. 10:4).
Word Studies:

60:12 do valiantly, gain the victory, do great things; 61:4 covert, shelter, protecting power; 62:9 to be laid in the balance, they prove to be worthless; 63:5 marrow and fatness, the richest of foods; 64:6 search out iniquities, devise injustices; 64:8 their own tongue to fall upon themselves, their own words will bring them to ruin; 66:3 terrible, awesome.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Thursday Morning Prayer • Government Officials: Rep. David Dreier (CA), Rep. Jim A. Himes (CT), Rep. John Fleming (LA), Rep. Roger F. Wicker (MS), Rep. Todd Akin (MO), and Rep. Nita M. Lowey (NY) • Country: Liberia (3 million) in West Africa • Major languages: English and more than 20 local languages of the Niger-Congo language group • Religious freedom • 41% ancestor worship and witchcraft; 21% Muslim; 13% Protestant; 2% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Lift up your prayer of thanksgiving for the marvelous blessings of God (Ps. 18:1-3).
Optional Reading: I Thessalonians 4

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 67 – 71
Highlights:

God's blessing upon His people; His judgment upon enemies; David's reminder to the Lord of his affliction; prayer of thanksgiving.
God setteth the solitary in families: He bringeth out those which are bound with chains: but the rebellious dwell in a dry land (Ps. 68:6).

Christianity has often been misunderstood as a gloomy, uninteresting existence. But just the opposite is true — it is those who rebel against God that dwell in a dry land. Without God, the brightest prospects of sinful enjoyment eventually leave its victim empty and miserable. Sin is life's worst disease. It eats away at every aspect of our lives. Our families, jobs, and even our mortal bodies are slowly broken down by sin. Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness? (Rom. 6:16). But those who trust in God experience peace and shall be abundantly satisfied (Ps. 36:8). Even the trying experiences of life are often blessings in disguise.

God's master plan is always at work. For I know the thoughts I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end (Jer. 29:11). Though, we, as believers, should expect to go through trials and tribulations, normally, God is carrying us to a better place and that is the reason we are walking on this particular road. It may not always appear that God has the best intended for those who trust life's greatest decisions to Him. However, we are held in the hands of our Almighty God. We are under His provision and protection at all times. And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the Tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself shall be with them, and be their God (Rev. 21:3).

So, regardless of external circumstances, the Christian's ultimate future is radiant, beautiful, and inviting as he looks forward to meeting his Savior, Jesus Christ. We are clearly told that this life will have many problems, but the life to come promises an endless life of joy, the beauty of heaven, and bountiful blessings. Thine eyes shall see the King in His beauty . . . There the glorious Lord will be unto us in a place of broad rivers and streams (Is. 33:17-21).

Let us therefore come boldly unto the Throne of Grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need (Heb. 4:16).

Thought for Today:

Our life is like a raging sea until we turn to the Lord; He then brings sweet peace.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who led captivity captive (Ps. 68:18). With His resurrection power, Jesus broke the captive power of Satan. When He led the Old Testament saints from paradise into heaven, He led captivity captive (comp. Eph. 4:8; also Gal. 5:1; Rev. 1:18).
Word Studies:

67:2 saving health, salvation; 68:4 JAH is an abbreviation for Jehovah — the Eternal, Self-Existent One — and corresponds to I AM THAT I AM; 68:13 pots, sheepfolds; 68:18 led captivity captive, led your captives captive — a prophecy concerning Jesus Christ (Eph. 4:8-9); 68:20 issues, escapes; 68:35 terrible, awesome, astonishing; 70:3 Aha, aha, an expression of scorn.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Lt. Col. Walter and Penny Swanson • Staff: Beth Carlton • Country: Libya (5 million) in North Africa • Major languages: Arabic and Italian • No form of Christian witness to Libyans is permitted • 98% Muslim; 2% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Call upon the Lord in time of trouble, for He promises to hear us (Ps. 18:6).
Optional Reading: I Thessalonians 5

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 72 – 77
Highlights:

David's prayer for Solomon; his love for the Sanctuary; the wicked and proud rebuked; God's majesty praised.
But as for me, my feet were almost gone; my steps had well nigh slipped. For I was envious at the foolish, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked (Ps. 73:2-3).

In self-pity the psalmist had complained: For all the day long have I been plagued, and chastened every morning (73:14). During one point in his life, the psalmist became critical as he saw those who blasphemed God enjoying life while those who worshiped God were having great difficulties. When Christians let their minds become centered on earthly things, it can become a huge stumbling block to their faith. That is why it is of great importance to all of God's children to concentrate on things from above. Remember that things of earth are temporal. But the Lord tells us that His thoughts and ways are much higher than ours and are eternal.

Keep in mind that the psalmist was not describing the facts, but rather what seemed to him to be the facts. He could not understand why the wicked, because of their sinful ways, were not plagued with sufferings. Sometimes believers do suffer the same or more than the unjust. It is not necessary for us to understand what God is doing at all times. We are not living just for this life, but a future one as well. That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for He maketh His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust (Matt. 5:45).

The psalmist may have heard a scribe reading the Book of Job and discovered that God has a marvelous purpose for the servant whom He can trust to suffer for Him. His faith could also have been strengthened as he heard how the great lawgiver chose rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season (Heb. 11:25). But his words testify that he gained a true perspective of life's problems when he went to the House of God to hear His Word: I went into the Sanctuary of God; then understood I their end (Ps. 73:17).

No Christian should ever feel slighted when others prosper because God will not withhold any good thing from those who walk uprightly (84:11).

But seek ye first the Kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33).

Thought for Today:

Trust God, even when all outward circumstances seem against you — that is faith.
Christ Revealed:

As the Righteous Judge who will crush the oppressor (Ps. 72:2-4). Psalm 75:8 describes the judgment of God upon those who refuse to accept the salvation so freely offered by Jesus, the Lamb of God (John 1:29,34-36; comp. II Thess. 1:8-9).
Word Studies:

73:4 bands, pain; 73:21 pricked in my reins, emotionally disturbed; 74:2 the rod, the tribe; 74:4 set up their ensigns for signs, replace the symbols of God with their own symbols; 75:5 speak not with a stiff neck, defy not God with an insolent attitude.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Judy Chu (CA) • Country: Liechtenstein (32,000) in western Europe • Major languages: German and Alemannic dialect • Religious freedom • 87% Roman Catholic; 12% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Let your faith in the Word of God overrule all fears (Ps. 18:30).
Optional Reading: II Thessalonians 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 78 – 80

Highlights:

God's long-suffering to Israel; His judgment against disobedience; prayer for mercy and restoration.
Turn us again, O Lord God of hosts, cause Thy face to shine; and we shall be saved (Ps. 80:19).

The psalmist was not content to pray this prayer only once. He prayed it three times, emphasizing the urgency he felt for God's presence (80:3,7,19). Israel was in desperate need, and they were being ridiculed by enemies who scoffed because it appeared that God had forsaken them. They could not see with their spiritual eyes. Even though God was ready to meet their need, He was waiting for them to call on Him for help. He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him. With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him My salvation (91:15-16).

God is longing for us to trust Him and look beyond our meager resources to His all-sufficiency. Our never-failing God has promised to keep us, and we can rest in the assurance of His Word. Always remember, it is in His Word we will find strength and comfort. That is why it is important to first turn to the Word of God for our counsel and help.

The Psalmist's thrice-offered prayer reveals that God expects us to continue in prayer and simply trust in Him. The Lord wants us to put our total reliance on Him. That is why sometimes we must pray for something more than once. God needs to know that we are serious about giving it all to Him. When we truly come to that place, we can completely trust in Him. But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the Gospel, even so we speak; not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts (I Thess. 2:4).

Certainly, there are times when we are plagued by doubts and frustrated by misgivings. We might say to ourselves, quite despondently, "I wonder if I've prayed in vain." That, surely, is the golden moment when man's weakness opens up God's opportunity. For it is in times of man's weakness, God is the most powerful. Often times, we are trying much too hard to solve the problems on our own. We must come to the place where we realize our inabilities. We then reach an understanding that alone we will not be able to accomplish the task at hand. Jesus said . . . all things are possible to him that believeth. . . . the father . . . cried out . . . I believe; help Thou mine unbelief. . . . And Jesus . . . saith, With men it is impossible, but . . . with God all things are possible (Mark 9:23-24; 10:27).

My grace is sufficient for thee: for My strength is made perfect in weakness (II Cor. 12:9).

Thought for Today:

When we trust the Lord for strength, His sufficiency enables us to bear anything.
Christ Revealed:

As the true Shepherd (Ps. 80:1). Christ is the Good Shepherd and the Door through which one must enter to be saved. He alone is The Way to heaven (John 10:9,11; 14:6).
Word Studies:

78:15 clave, split; 78:34 inquired early, sought diligently; 79:4 derision, ridicule; 80:3 Turn us again, Restore us; 80:8 a vine, Israel; 80:12 hedges, wall or fences; 80:18 quicken, revive.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. John D. Dingell (MI) • Country: Lithuania (4 million) eastern coast of Baltic Sea in northeastern Europe • Major languages: Lithuanian and Russian • Limited religious freedom • 80% Roman Catholic; 5% Russian Orthodox; 1% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to show you any sins that you are not aware of and to cleanse you of them (Ps. 19:12).
Optional Reading: II Thessalonians 2

Memory Verse for the Week: Galatians 6:7

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 81 – 87
Highlights:

Prayer for the poor and fatherless; David's longing for the Lord; his desire to walk in Truth; goodness and power of God.
Teach me Thy way, O Lord; I will walk in Thy Truth: unite my heart to fear Thy Name (Ps. 86:11).

Godly fear is an attitude of awe and reverence toward God. It deepens our sense of humility and leads us to see how unworthy we are of His love — so we pray: Teach me Thy Way, O Lord. David recognized that his heart was divided and needed to be whole and submitted to God. He yearned to know God's teachings because without them he would go astray. Once his heart was whole he could praise . . . God with all my (his) heart (86:12).

The Lord is always faithful to answer those that pray as David did. He wants us to follow Him in everything we do. God desires us to walk in His ways. The Lord wants us to keep His Commandments. If this is the life we seek to live, it will be a blessed life. If any man serve Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there shall also My servant be: if any man serve Me, him will My Father honour (John 12:26).

Once we understand the fear of God, we are released from lesser fears which destroy our peace. Those who are afraid of God either do not understand Him, or they are living in rebellion against Him. If our lives are in harmony with God, we have no reason to be afraid of Him. God loves His children with a pure and holy love that truly only He can understand. He has great plans for those who are His. We need not fear the world or the devil. These things have no power over the true believer. Even though at times our enemies attempt to lead us to fear, we need just remember that they are already defeated. These things I have spoken unto you, that in Me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world (16:33).

This is not to say we should not have a reverent fear of God. God is the holder of life. It is to Him we look for our soul's eternal life. The fear (awe, reverence) of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction (Prov. 1:7).

A holy fear of God is the result of walking in Thy Truth — it is not being afraid of God, for the Holy Spirit reveals Him as our loving Father, seeking only our good. Perfect love casteth out fear (I John 4:18). Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid: for the Lord JEHOVAH is my strength and my song (Is. 12:2).

Thought for Today:

We belong to the Lord because of the great price He paid for us.
Christ Revealed:

By Jerusalem, from where the psalmist declared that all of the springs (sources) of joy and happiness flow (Ps. 87:7). Jesus is the Source of our joy as the angel announced at His birth (Luke 2:10). Jesus also declared: These things have I spoken unto you, that My joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full (John 15:11).
Word Studies:

82:1 the gods, earthly rulers and judges; 82:4 rid, rescue; 82:5 foundations . . . out of course,  administration of justice is ignored; 82:6 gods, My representatives; 83:2 lifted up the head, exalted themselves.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Clarence Rathbone • Government Officials: Rep. Dave Camp (MI), Rep. Scott Garrett (NJ), and Sen. Lindsey Graham (SC) • Country: Luxembourg (429,000) in western Europe • Major languages: Luxembourgish and German • Religious freedom • 84% Roman Catholic; 2% Protestant; .1% Eastern Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to deliver you from willful sins (Ps. 19:13).
Optional Reading: II Thessalonians 3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 88 – 91

Highlights:

A cry for deliverance from death; psalmist's praise for God's Covenant and His promises; reminder of the brevity of life; protection for the faithful.
Blessed is the people that know the joyful sound (call to worship): they shall walk, O Lord, in the light of Thy countenance (Ps. 89:15).

The psalmist goes on to say: They rejoice all the day: and in Thy righteousness shall they be exalted. For Thou art the glory of their strength (89:16-17). What a blessing to know that as we join together in worship in our congregations, living for Him in our daily lives, and honoring Him in our homes, that the Heavenly Father has promised and delighteth in his (our) way (37:23).

These are just some of the places in our lives that God wants to bless. God, our Father, is happy to reward us for our obedience to Him. We should feel even more blessed with the knowledge that God is pleased with our actions. And whatsoever we ask, we receive of Him, because we keep His Commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in His sight (I John 3:22). It is important to remember that the life we live as Christians reflects on how people view God. It is much like our judging how good a parent is by the way the child behaves. Therefore, we should walk rightly in the paths our Heavenly Father leads us in. That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God (Col. 1:10).

A joyful sound (Ps. 89:15) of praise spontaneously comes from God's people who are walking in the light of what He has spoken to us. Christ promised this joy for His followers, saying: These things have I spoken unto you, that My joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full (John 15:11). Whatever Christ promises, you can always be sure it will be fulfilled in His time. The world, your family, or your employer may make empty promises to you. However, we can rejoice that the God we serve is faithful and true. Great and marvellous are Thy works, Lord God Almighty; just and true are Thy ways, thou King of saints (Rev. 15:3).

We can praise the Lord for His promises with anticipation and truly rejoice each moment in the expectation of His joy. Christ dwells in the praises of His people.

I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you (John 16:22).

Thought for Today:

May our Light not be dimmed nor our testimony hindered by sin in our lives.
Christ Revealed:

By the seed (descendants) of David (Ps. 89:3-4). Concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed (descendants) of David according to the flesh (Rom. 1:3; also Matt. 1:1; Luke 3:31-32).
Word Studies:

88:13 prevent, come before; 89:10 Rahab in this context is a poetic name for Egypt (see 87:4; Is. 51:9); 89:24 horn be exalted, authority shall increase; 89:41 spoil, plunder; 90:13 let it repent thee concerning, change your judgment to compassion on; 91:13 dragon, serpent, a reference to Satan. And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years (Rev. 20:2; see also 12:3-4,7,9,13,16-17;13:2,4,11).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Karen Hawkins • Government Officials: Rep. Tom McClintock (CA), Rep. Phil Gingrey (GA), and Rep. Russ Carnahan (MO) • Country: Macedonia (2 million) in southeastern Europe • Major languages: Macedonian and Albanian • strongly Orthodox country • 67% Macedonian Orthodox; 23% Muslim; 3% Catholic; 2% Protestant; 5% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Pray that your words and thoughts will be pleasing to the Lord (Ps. 19:14).
Optional Reading: I Timothy 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 92 – 100
Highlights:

Praise for the Lord's loving-kindness; an appeal for justice, for singing, worship, and praise to the Lord.
It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord, and to sing praises unto Thy Name, O Most High: To shew forth Thy lovingkindness in the morning, and Thy faithfulness every night (Ps. 92:1-2).

There is no God like our Jehovah God. He is the only God and deserves praise like no other person or being. He is unique and since He created and sustains our vast universe He desires and deserves our praise to Him. The Lord reigneth . . . Exalt ye the Lord our God, and worship at His footstool; for He is holy (99:1-5).

Christ is the Alpha and the Omega, so each day can begin and end with singing His praises. Singing expresses joy as we go through the day enjoying His presence, and singing hymns of praise honors the Most High God. O SING unto the Lord a new song (98:1).

Some people think that when they have problems they have a right to complain, but this is only self-pity that leads to additional gloom. Since we cannot praise God and complain at the same time, singing His praises will bring a release from the oppression of sorrow and bless us with His rest.

The Lord's presence can turn even a prison into a paradise. The apostles, after being beaten and thrown into prison, sang praises to the Lord at midnight. And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them (Acts 16:25).

Singing God's praises is a testimony of our absolute confidence that every event in our life is in accord with love's message sent from heaven.

Although we may find it hard to reconcile some disappointments with the Truth of God's Word, it is still a fact that all things work together for good to them that love God (Rom. 8:28). At times, this Scripture may be one of the hardest to accept. However, all of God's Word reveals how right it is to trust in this verse. The result will be that no longer will we be guilty of faultfinding, dissatisfaction, and unhappiness.

Serving the Lord with gladness begins with unconditional confidence in His unchanging Word. When we begin to put our total dependence on God's Word, we begin to understand how truly great God actually is. Those who really want to hear from Him will find it easier to see God revealing Himself.

Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord (Eph. 5:19).

Thought for Today:

When our speech is filled with praise, complaints will disappear.
Christ Revealed:

As the Creator: It is He that hath made us (Ps. 100:3). All things were made by Him; and without Him was not any thing made that was made (John 1:3; Eph. 3:9; Col. 1:16; Rev. 4:11).
Word Studies:

92:6 brutish, without regard to reason or propriety; 93:5 becometh, distinguishes; 94:20 throne of iniquity, workers of evil; frameth, devises; 95:7 of His hand, under His care; 99:3 terrible, holy, awesome.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Bible Pathway Printer: Ambrose Printing Staff, Nashville, TN • Government Official: Rep. Ed J. Markey (MA) • Country: Madagascar (15 million) an island in the Indian Ocean off the coast of Mozambique • Major languages: French and Malagasy • Increasingly anti-Christian • 43% witchcraft, ancestor worship, and some astrology; 21% Protestant; 21% Roman Catholic; 2% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to reveal His perfect will for you (Ps. 25:4).
Optional Reading: I Timothy 2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 101 – 105
Highlights:

A confession of God's justice; thanksgiving to God for His mercy; His mighty power; God's providence over Israel.
Moreover he called for a famine upon the land. . . He sent a man before them, even Joseph, who was sold for a servant . . . the Word of the Lord tried Him (Ps. 105:16-17,19).

The famine occurred in the time of Jacob and forced the people to migrate into Egypt, leaving the land which had been promised to them (Gen. 45 — 46). The Lord caused the famine in order to fulfill His purpose for His chosen people (Ps. 105:6-16). The first thing Jacob did when he heard that his son Joseph was alive, was seek the Lord in prayer (Gen. 46:1-4). Sometimes desperate times will call us to desperate measures. In these situations, it is so important to follow God's direction in your decision making. It was necessary for Jacob to follow the Lord's plan in order to save the nations.

For many years, Joseph may not have understood his unfortunate series of circumstances, so it is said: The Word of the Lord tried him (Ps. 105:19). Just like Joseph, we wonder at times why so many bad things come our way. Remember, God had a purpose for Joseph. The Lord was directing Joseph's movements to get him to a certain place. A place where he could be God's servant and do great things to preserve his family. Eventually, Joseph became the anointed provider whom God had sent to Egypt to preserve life (Gen. 45:5).

In God's eyes no person is above another, this incident of His guidance reveals the merit of trusting God even though we do not understand what is happening. Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons (Acts 10:34).

God's plan is not always clear as to what He is doing with our lives. He often withholds the knowledge of His presence in order to develop our faith, confidence, and trust in Him. We are told to: Trust in the Lord . . . and He shall direct thy paths (Prov. 3:5-6).

However, it should ease our minds just to know He has a plan for us. Remember, the roads Joseph had to walk through to get to his place. The Lord may be carrying you to a similar place. For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end (Jer. 29:11).

For all the promises of God in Him are yea, and in Him Amen, unto the glory of God by us (II Cor. 1:20).

Thought for Today:

God often directs circumstances differently to accomplish His purposes.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases (Ps. 103:3). Forgiveness of sin and the healing power of God describe the ministry of our Lord Jesus, who was sent to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, To preach the acceptable year of the Lord (Luke 4:18-19; Matt. 9:6).
Word Studies:

101:2 perfect heart, blameless; a heart of integrity; 101:4 froward heart, an obstinate and evil mind; 101:5 cut off, destroy; suffer, tolerate; 101:7 tarry, continue to dwell; 102:26 wax old, deteriorate; 104:9 bound, boundary; 104:13 chambers, dwelling place, heavens.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Rev. Gladys Davis • Staff: Rita Guerra • Government Official: Rep. Betty McCollum (MN) • Country: Malawi (10 million) in southeastern Africa • Major languages: English and Chichewa • Religious freedom • 34% Protestant; 23% Roman Catholic; 16% Muslim; 16% animist; 4% cults • Prayer Suggestion: Pray for understanding of His will as you read the Word of God (Ps. 25:5).
Optional Reading: I Timothy 3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 106 – 107

Highlights:

Israel's wilderness rebellion; God's great mercies to Israel; exhortation to praise God for His goodness.
He sent His Word, and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions. Oh that men would praise the Lord for His goodness, and for His wonderful works to the children of men! (Ps. 107:20-21).

The psalmist could have said, "The Lord delivered them." Instead, it is specifically stated: He sent His Word, and healed them. It simply means that His Word is the means by which God has chosen to supply and satisfy every need. Furthermore, there is no other reliable source of counsel for the inner emotional conflicts that seek to control our minds. Throughout the Bible we are taught the absolute necessity of relying on God's Word for every problem and every situation — without exception.

The Word of God has a power that few can understand. The words on its pages are mighty. He sent His Word. Yes, the Word by which the heavens were made (33:6), is the same Word by which God is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us (Eph. 3:20).

Through daily Bible reading we obtain the power that enables us to trust God in prayer to fulfill His promises. For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Heb. 4:12). How much of this power do you make available to Him to use in your life? Are you reading and allowing God enough room in your life to give strength in place of your weakness? One way we can allow the Lord to use His Word in our lives is by memorizing as much of it as we can, because: Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path (Ps. 119:105).

Experience has taught us that we are prone to view our weakness in the light of our abilities and fail to recognize the greatness of God's gift — His Word that supplies the answer for every need. It is in His Word that we will find the answer to all life's questions. But there are some who struggle as they try to exercise faith in God and His Word. We need to remember Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God (Rom. 10:16-17).

Christ said: Ye shall know the Truth, and the Truth shall make you free (John 8:32).

Thought for Today:

The man who delights in God's Word is content and derives strength for daily living from it.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who maketh the storm a calm (Ps. 107: 29). When Jesus calmed the storm, His awestruck disciples exclaimed: What manner of Man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him! (Matt. 8:27). Jesus offers to calm the storms of our lives and give us His peace (John 14:27).
Word Studies:

106:20 similitude, likeness; 106:29 inventions, deeds, acts; 106:30 stayed, stopped, checked; 107:11 contemned, despised, spurned.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Pam Murton • Government Official: Rep. Rob W. Bishop (UT) • Country: Malaysia (22.7 million) in Southeast Asia • Major languages: Malay and English • All Christian witness to Muslims is illegal • 58% Muslim; 23% Buddhist/Taoist/Chinese; 8% Christian; 6% Hindu; 5% Sikh/Animist/Other • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to be merciful and to forgive your sins (Ps. 25:6-7).
Optional Reading: I Timothy 4

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk