Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Job 38 – 40

Highlights:

God's challenge to Job; man's weakness and ignorance; Job humbled.
Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind (Job 38:1).

Day after day, Job wondered why he experienced so many tragedies. When God finally revealed Himself out of the whirlwind, He did not give Job an explanation for his past sufferings or promise future restoration. He did not explain that Satan was the source of all Job's calamities and that it was all within His permissive will for Job's ultimate good. Neither did God compliment Job on his faithfulness.

He gave Job what he really needed most — a revelation of Himself: His power, majesty, greatness, and goodness. Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? . . . When the morning stars sang together . . . Hast thou commanded the morning . . . Hast thou entered into the springs of the sea? . . . Hast thou perceived the breadth of the earth? . . . Where is the way where light dwelleth? . . . Canst thou send lightnings . . . Who provideth for the raven his food? (38:4-41).

This fuller revelation was Job's greatest need — and ours! But this was not revealed until he was able to say: Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him (13:15). If we put all our trust in God and His Word, we are guaranteed He will respond. He may not do what we want Him to do or give us everything we pray for. We must remember that He knows better than we do what is good for us and what is not. He will show Himself on His terms, in His timing, and for His purpose. Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God (II Cor. 3:5).

When we consider the greatness of God's wisdom, we, too, will recognize our insufficiency to know what is best and will trust God to direct our lives. God will always direct our lives to what is best for us. We must allow Him control for this to happen. We must seek godly counsel and seek the right choice in all our decision-making. God alone can grant the wisdom necessary to discern the will of God through His Word. That the . . . Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and . . . The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of His calling, and what the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints (Eph. 1:17-18).

Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen (Rev. 7:12).

Thought for Today:

The Christian would rather walk in the darkness of the night, knowing that God was with him, than to walk in the light of the day without Him.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who laid the foundations of the earth (Job 38:4). By Christ, God created our universe (Heb. 1:1-2). All things were made by Him; and without Him was not any thing made that was made (John 1:1-3).
Word Studies:

38:9 swaddlingband, wrapping; 38:12 dayspring, dawn; 38:31 Pleiades, the seven stars that stood for the 7 influences of spring; bands of Orion, storms; 39:9 unicorn, wild ox; 40:4 vile, insignificant; 40:21 fens, marshes.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Country: Japan (126.7 million) off the eastern coast of Asia • Major language: Japanese • Religious freedom • 49% Buddhist; 45% Shintoist; 1% Christian; 5% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Pray aloud with your voice — God hears (Ps. 3:4).
Optional Reading: Philippians 1

Memory Verse for the Week: Lamentations 3:22-23
:angel:

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Job 41 – 42

Highlights:

God's great power reviewed; Job's submission to God; Job's prayer for his friends; God's blessings to Job.
The Lord said to Eliphaz the Temanite, My wrath is kindled against thee, and against thy two friends: for ye have not spoken of Me the thing that is right, as My servant Job hath (Job 42:7).

Job's four friends fully expected the Lord's approval upon their efforts to convince Job how wrong he was. From all outward appearances, they were enjoying God's favor while Job seemed to be experiencing His displeasure. They must have been astounded to hear the voice from heaven say: My wrath is kindled against thee. We usually assume if things are going well that we must be in God's will. Likewise, if things are not going well for another person, their life must be out of God's will. If there is one thing we know about God, He does not think, move or act like this natural, carnal world does. O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are His judgments, and His ways past finding out! (Rom. 11:33). Many times, as God begins moving, we have no idea where He is going or what He is doing. So, be careful, not to judge God's plan. Remember, you are looking at what He is doing with natural eyes and a carnal mind. He is a supernatural God working both in the physical and spiritual areas of our lives. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the Law of God, neither indeed can be (8:7).

Little did Job realize that God was pleased with him (Job 42:8). With the utmost confidence, it may be said that if God did not have some reason for our sufferings, He would not permit them. God has a plan and a purpose for everything He does. He clearly said: My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways . . . so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts (Is. 55:8-9). We do go through hard times in this life. Many do not understand how God can allow bad things to happen to good people. God is looking at a much bigger plan for our lives than we are. We are so often only concerned with today, but God desires to work His perfect plan for our whole life. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure (Phil. 2:13).

Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby (Heb. 12:11).

Thought for Today:

God's ways many times are different from man's expectations.
Christ Revealed:

Through Job's praying for his "friends" (Job 42:10). We are reminded that it is Christ . . . who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us (Rom. 8:34).
Word Studies:

41:13 discover the face of his garment, strip off his outer coat of armor; 41:17 sundered,  separated; 41:23 flakes, folds; 42:6 abhor, loathe; 42:10 turned the captivity, restored the fortunes.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Micheal Moore • Government Officials: Rep. Leonard Lance (NJ) and Justice Sonia M. Sotomayor (US Supreme Court) • Country: Jordan (5 million) in southwestern Asia • Major languages: Arabic and English • Religious tolerance • 93% Muslim; 5% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Offer up your prayer to God, your King, who will hearken to your prayer (Ps. 5:2).
Optional Reading: Philippians 2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 1 – 9

Highlights:

David's prayer of confidence in God; prayer for protection, mercy, and deliverance; praise for God's justice.
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the Law of the Lord; and in His Law doth he meditate day and night (Ps. 1:1-2).

A blessed person is one who possesses the happiness produced by experiencing God's favor. He is content with God's guidance, regardless of outward circumstances. The blessed person does not simply look at what his life is now, but where God is carrying him. He knows that God is in control of his life and follows the path laid out for him by God. For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow His steps (I Pet. 2:21).

The secret to having a blessed life is to refuse to walk in the counsel of the ungodly. But a mere worldly goodness will not ensure true blessedness. Therefore, the psalmist revealed the God-given secret of true happiness: But his delight is in the Law of the Lord (Ps. 1:2). What a contrast this happiness is to the superficial, empty happiness the world offers! The happiness of the world is often short-lived and temporary. It falls short of the deep true happiness found in God. As we walk with Him, He fills our lives with His joy and happiness. But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when His glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy (I Pet. 4:13).

As we meditate day and night (Ps.1:2) upon God's Word with the purpose of doing His will, our lives take on new meaning. To meditate means to go over in the mind repeatedly, a process of deliberately focusing on specific Bible passages and reflecting on their meaning in context with the love of God. Meditation helps get the meaning within our spirit where core changes actually take place. Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God (Rom. 10:17). We find true happiness by knowing the Word of God and letting Him actively direct our lives. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ (Eph. 1:3).

This Book of the Law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night . . . for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success (Josh. 1:8).

Thought for Today:

Only to the extent that we love God will we enjoy obedience to His Word.
Christ Revealed:

As the Son of God (Ps. 2:7). God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life (John 3:16; Acts 13:33; Heb. 1:5).
Word Studies:

2:2 Anointed (One), Messiah (Hebrew) and Christ (Greek); 5:6 leasing, lies.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Ilene Wallace • Government Official: Gov. Neil Abercrombie (HI) • Country: Kazakhstan (15.4 million) central Asia • Major languages: Kazakh and Russian • Religious tolerance • 47% Muslim (largely Sunni); 25% Russian Orthodox; 2% Lutheran; 2% Catholic; 2.3% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Begin each morning with prayer (Ps. 5:3).
Optional Reading: Philippians 3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 10 – 17

Highlights:

A prayer for judgment upon the wicked; David's desire for justice; prayer for protection.
For Thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt Thou suffer Thine Holy One to see corruption. Thou wilt shew me The Path of life: in Thy presence is fulness of joy; at Thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore (Ps. 16:10-11).

As David's thoughts went beyond his immediate surroundings, he considered the day of his death. With full confidence in God, he said: Thou wilt not leave my soul in hell. He looked beyond the grave with assurance that he would live forever in the presence of God, saying: In Thy presence is fulness of joy . . . pleasures for evermore.

Who would have thought that Psalm 16 referred to Christ if the Holy Spirit had not revealed it hundreds of years later on the day of the Pentecost? The Apostle Peter declared that David was referring to Christ's death and resurrection (Acts 2:25;31; 13:35). There are many Old Testament promises of the coming Messiah. Jesus, though not using that name, is mentioned and prophesied about often in the Old Testament, including the Book of Psalms. Psalm 110 refers to the coming Messiah. It affirms the deity of Jesus (v. 1) and His eternal priesthood (v. 4) and prophecies His return. The Lord shall send the rod of Thy strength out of Zion: rule Thou in the midst of Thine enemies (v. 2).

So much of the revelation of our Lord is missed when we fail to read all the Scriptures! As we read, we should pray: Open Thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of Thy Law (Ps. 119:18; Luke 24:27). It is easy to overlook many things in the Word of God if we do not read and study prayerfully. But without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him (Heb. 11:6).

David foretold of a path of life (Ps. 16:11), but we know Him who is The Path — The Way, The Truth, and The Life (John 14:6). As stated above, Christ is revealed throughout the Word of God. He is revealed as The Path; David was telling of who was to come. Jesus is that path. The Father decided long ago that the Son would be the One to stand in the gap for mankind. And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the Book, and to open the seals thereof: for Thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by Thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation (Rev. 5:9).

I am The Way, The Truth, and The Life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me (John 14:6).

Thought for Today:

Brief moments of earthly pleasures cannot compare with the lasting joy our Lord imparts.
Christ Revealed:

In the prophecy that God would not allow His Holy One to see decay (Ps. 16:10). This foretells the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 2:25-27; 13:35-39). When Jesus spoke His Revelation to John, He declared: I am He that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death (Rev. 1:18).
Word Studies:

10:5 puffeth at, makes light of; 10:13 contemn, defy; despise; 11:3 foundations, principles of society based on the Word of God.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in memory of Letha Hash • Government Officials: Rep. Mike M. Honda (CA), Rep. Jeff B. Miller (FL), Rep. David A. Scott (GA), and Sen. Kelly A. Ayotte (NH) • Country: Kenya (29 million) in eastern Africa • Major languages: English and Swahili • Religious freedom • 46% Protestant; 27% Roman Catholic; 17% belief in mystical powers; 6% Muslim; 3% Eastern Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Glorify the person, character, and attributes of God as you pray a prayer of praise (Ps. 8:1-9).
Optional Reading: Philippians 4

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 18 – 22

Highlights:

Thanksgiving for deliverance; creation and Covenants of God; praise for victory; cry of anguish and song of praise.
The Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul . . . The Statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart . . . sweeter also than honey (Ps. 19:7-10).

God's Word is sweeter . . . than honey. Jeremiah said: Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and Thy Word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart (Jer. 15:16). Not only are we to learn from the Word of God, but we are also to eat of it and enjoy it. God's Word is food to nourish the believer. Then as the psalmist said, we can say: How sweet are Thy words unto my taste! (Ps. 119:103).

When a baby is born, his immediate need is to drink milk. Without nourishment, the baby will fail to grow. Our immediate need is to recognize the purpose of reading the Bible. As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the Word, that ye may grow thereby (I Pet. 2:2). The Word of God provides the good things our spiritual self needs. The vitamins and minerals of the Spirit are found in God's Word. These are essential if we are to grow to be men and women of God. These vitamins and minerals of God's Word will become part of us. Then, they will be transformed into the works of the Spirit in our lives.

Jesus even spoke of God's Word as spiritual food: Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God (Matt. 4:4).

Every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God is different from any other word or book. The world has only the words of human beings, but the Bible is the Word of Almighty God! Although you may not understand certain passages, you are still nourished through reading His Word. The more of God's Word that you read the better you will be able to understand what you are reading. The Bible will explain itself if we allow it to do so. Scripture reinforces Scripture. Thereby, if we continue to read, we will come to an understanding of what the Word of God is saying to us. Thus, the Scriptures became spiritual food by which our spiritual life is sustained, nourished up in the words of faith (I Tim. 4:6).

Thought for Today:

Have you given the Word of God priority in your life today?
Christ Revealed:

As the One to whom the Psalms refer when they speak of the nails that pierced His hands and feet on the cross and the parting of His clothing (Ps. 22:16,18). When they had crucified Him, they parted His garments, casting lots upon them, what every man should take (Mark 15:24; also Matt. 27:35; Luke 23:34; John 19:18).
Word Studies:

18:2 horn of my salvation, my strong deliverer; 18:26 froward (first use), crooked; froward (second use), opposed; 18:45 close places, fortresses or strongholds; 22:5 confounded, put to shame; 22:7 shoot out the lip, ridicule, hurl insults; 22:17 tell, count.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Tifany Edwards • Government Officials: Rep. Edward Lopez Pastor (AZ), Rep. Donna F. Edwards (MD), Sen. Carl Levin (MI), and Rep. Mike G. Fitzpatrick (PA) • Country: Kirabati (86,000) 3 islands in southwestern Pacific • Major languages: English and Gilbutese • Religious freedom • 52% Roman Catholic; 44% Protestant; 2% Baha'i • Prayer Suggestion: Let your prayers express gratitude to God for His wonderful works (Ps. 9:1).
Optional Reading: Colossians 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 23 – 30
Highlights:

David's confidence in the Great Shepherd; the King of Glory; David's love for God's House; his prayer for God's help; thanksgiving for deliverance.
The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want. . . . He restoreth my soul: He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His Name's sake (Ps. 23:1,3).

No other livestock requires so much attention as sheep. If they are left alone, they will follow the same trails until those trails become ruts. One sheep may become so engrossed in following its own eating path that it becomes separated from the flock and is lost.

We, by nature, are like sheep, blindly and habitually following the same paths that we have seen ruin the lives of others, or becoming so wrapped up in our own affairs that we lose our way. We turn our backs to the Word of God and go into the crooked roads, which lead us down the wrong paths towards destruction. We hear the phrase in life of "living in your own little world." This is so true of us even as Christians at times. We often don't see or won't see that which is going on around us. Scripture refers to the child of God, saying: We like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on Him the iniquity of us all (Is. 53:6). The enemy likes us to be this way because he has his trap laid in wait for us to fall into. The god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the Light of the glorious Gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them (II Cor. 4:4).

There is something almost terrifying about the destructive self-determination of those who refuse to be led in the paths of righteousness (Ps. 23:3) by actually going their own way, even though it has taken others into great trouble.

How many times have we prayed for our Shepherd to lead me in the paths of righteousness, while in our day-by-day conduct, we still refuse to deny self or give up our "rights" or yield our own interests to the interests of others? It is easy to speak one way, but to act in another way entirely. We often will tell the Lord that we hear His Commands and understand. However, God is calling us to do, not just to hear and understand. But be ye doers of the Word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves (James 1:22).

If we truly seek God's will, then the offer of the Great Shepherd is still open: I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight (Is. 42:16).

Thought for Today:

The tender voice of our Good Shepherd is still calling, "Come unto Me."
Christ Revealed:

As our Shepherd (Ps. 23). Christ called Himself the Good Shepherd and vowed to lay down His life for the sheep (John 10:11).
Word Studies:

26:1 slide, waver, fall; 26:2 reins, desires and thoughts; 26:4 dissemblers, pretenders, deceitful ones; 28:2 Holy Oracle, Mercy Seat in the Holy of Holies; 28:3 mischief, evil.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Kevin Jennings • Government Official: Rep. Collin C. Peterson (MN), and Rep. Virginia Foxx (NC) • Country: Kuwait (2 million) in the northeastern corner of the Arabian Peninsula • Major languages: Arabic and English • Some religious freedom • 95% Muslim; 4% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Trust the Lord; He will never forsake you (Ps. 9:10).
Optional Reading: Colossians 2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 31 – 35

Highlights:

David's trust in God; blessedness of forgiveness; praise to the Lord for His creation; David's prayer for safety.
I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and Thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin (Ps. 32:5).

The Lord forgave David the iniquity of his sin. Iniquity for a believer means more than rejecting God's Word — more than mere failure or weakness. It means turning aside from what we know is right by disobeying the Truth to satisfy one's desires. The inevitable result of iniquity is always misery and unhappiness. It's not difficult at the moment of turning our backs on God to say this is easy because in that instance the fulfilling of our desires feels good to us. However, remember that sooner or later that "feeling" will wear off. Then what you are left with is misery. David said: Day and night Thy hand was heavy upon me. Then with humble heart David repented: I acknowledged my sin unto Thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid (32:4-5). Then he prayed: Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation; and uphold me with Thy free spirit (51:12). We should consider every choice in life to ensure it is not directing us away from God. Count the cost of the decision like Moses did when deciding his path. Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season (Heb. 11:25).

When Nathan the prophet confronted David with his iniquity, David confessed his sin and his need for mercy and forgiveness. Even though David had sinned, he did the right thing by not trying to hide his sin. He was brokenhearted and confessed his sin. He set a great example for us. However, if you have sinned, confess your sin before someone else reveals it. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (I John 1:9).

So let it be with you, whoever you are. Confess your sins now; believe and receive Christ as your Savior and enjoy a life of fellowship with Him: As many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His Name (John 1:12).

Sin is deceptive and hardens the heart. Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap (Gal. 6:7).

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation (II Cor. 6:2).

Thought for Today:

You can choose a life of misery and emptiness. God never forces anyone to accept His priceless, precious gift of eternal life.
Christ Revealed:

In the prophecy that not one of His bones would be broken as recorded concerning His crucifixion (Ps. 34:20). These things were done, that the Scripture should be fulfilled, A bone of Him shall not be broken (John 19:36).
Word Studies:

31:4 privily, secretly; 31:6 lying vanities, all other gods; 31:8 shut me up, given me over; 32:2 guile, deceit; 32:3 roaring, complaining; 35:12 spoiling, determined to take my life; 35:15 abjects, slanderers.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Bible Pathway Media Producer: Rick Hash • Country: Kyrgyzstan (4.7 million) eastern central Asia • Major languages: Kirghiz and Russian • Religious freedom • 75% Muslim; 20% Russian Orthodox; 5% Other (Jewish, Buddhist, Catholic, Protestant) • Prayer Suggestion: Sing praises to the Lord; tell others what He has done (Ps. 9:11).
Optional Reading: Colossians 3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 36 – 39
Highlights:

David is persuaded to maintain confidence in God: inevitable destruction of the wicked; prayer of a penitent heart; brevity and vanity of life.
Delight thyself also in the Lord; and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart (Ps. 37:4).

The loving desire of God is to gain first place in the hearts of men. He imparts His love to all who are willing to yield themselves to Him. As we yield to God, we become conformed to His likeness. We then discover great joy in loving the things God loves. However, to truly experience the love of God, we not only love the things He loves, but we learn to love as He loves. But, how do we know the love of Christ? God's love is unconditional, without wavering or faltering. He does not stop loving us when we sin because if He did we would all be lost. But, His love is demonstrated by what Jesus did on the cross. God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us (Rom. 5:8). To know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God (Eph. 3:19).

The love of God is not the easiest thing to understand. It is not in our human nature to love like God does. It takes a change inside of us to make this happen. We learn to love not just in our heads but deep in our hearts. Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first Commandment (Mark 12:30).

When God's desires become our desires, our prayers are answered. Such prayer is inspired of God who worketh in us both to will and to do of His good pleasure (Phil. 2:13). This happens as a result of God's will and our will coming together. And whatsoever we ask, we receive of Him, because we keep His Commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in His sight (I John 3:22).

In doing His will, we become co-laborers with God which brings our deepest happiness. As we truly delight in the Lord, our thoughts of self-interest will become secondary. We must genuinely put the Lord first, choosing His will above our will. By submitting to Him as Lord, we step down off the throne of our lives and allow God to take His rightful place as our Creator and Loving Heavenly Father. Thy seed will I establish for ever, and build up Thy throne to all generations. Selah (Ps. 89:4). Walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given Himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour (Eph. 5:2).

The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much (James 5:16).

Thought for Today:

Those who lose all for Christ will find all in Christ.
Christ Revealed:

As the Fountain of Life (and the) Light (Ps. 36:9). In Him was Life; and the Life was the Light of men. . . . That was the True Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world (John 1:4-9; comp. 4:10,14; Rev. 22:1).
Word Studies:

36:7 put their trust under, take refuge in; 38:2 Thy hand presseth me sore, your punishment presses heavily upon me; 38:8 roared, groaned with anguish; 38:11 sore, afflictions.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for our Military worldwide • Staff: Jennifer Cunningham Palafox, President, Bible Pathway Ministries • Country: Laos (5 million) in Southeast Asia • Major languages: Lao and French • Great suppression of all Christian activities • 58% Buddhist; 33% belief in spirits and ancestor worship; 2% Christian; 1% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Cry out to God in humility (Ps. 9:12).
Optional Reading: Colossians 4

NOTE: Bible Pathway covers the Old Testament with devotional and commentary insights over a nine-month period, January through September. Each day during these months, an optional reading of one chapter a day from the New Testament will also be listed. The October, November, and December issues will provide a daily commentary on the New Testament readings. Thus, the reader goes through the New Testament twice each year using the Bible Pathway plan.
Memory Verse for the Week: Revelation 22:12

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 40 – 45

Highlights:

Praise for answered prayer; David's enemies' treachery; his longing for God's presence; greatness of God's glory.
I waited patiently for the Lord; and He inclined unto me, and heard my cry. He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings (Ps. 40:1-2).

Looking back upon the past, the psalmist recalled how he had experienced many hopeless situations to which there seemed to be no end. It was like being encased in a pit where he continued to sink in the mire. David confessed his helplessness and his great need for God to lift him out of the mire of earth's problems. I cried unto the Lord with my voice, and He heard me out of His holy hill. Selah (3:4). As the God of great mercy answered David's prayer and lifted him up, his faith became firm as a rock. Likewise our faith through prayer is reinforced just as David and Paul's were (see II Cor. 11:24-27) through the faith of Christ (Phil 3:9).

The word patiently means more than quietly enduring; in a sense, it also carries the thought of a doctor's patient — one who is suffering and needs a physician.

The psalmist felt assured that he was under the watchful care and wisdom of the Great Physician, who is capable of caring for the most hopeless patient. He could wait patiently for the Lord with complete confidence, knowing the Great Physician had chosen the very hour for his restoration. Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh (James 5:8).

The Apostle Paul wrote of his sufferings in serving Christ: Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one. Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck . . . in perils of waters, in perils of robbers . . . in perils by the heathen . . . In weariness and painfulness . . . in cold and nakedness (II Cor. 11:24-27).

God does not prolong our suffering one moment beyond the wisdom of His great love. Only one who waits patiently for the Lord (Ps. 40:1) experiences the deeper walk by faith and not by sight (II Cor. 5:7). When we realize our only hope is in the Lord, that is when we truly begin to learn that we are safe in His care. God is always faithful to take care of His own.

For since the beginning of the world men have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God, beside Thee, what He hath prepared for him that waiteth for Him (Is. 64:4; compare I Cor. 2:9).

Thought for Today:

Walking in fellowship with the Lord often means suffering with Him.
Christ Revealed:

As One who will do the will of God (Ps. 40:6-8). Jesus said that His purpose on earth was to do the will of Him that sent Me, and to finish His work (John 4:34; Heb. 10:7-9).
Word Studies:

40:6 ears . . . opened, You have given me a heart to hear and obey; 41:3 make all his bed in his sickness, sustain him in all his sickness; 42:1 panteth after, longs for; 42:11 health, salvation; 44:19 sore broken, severely crushed; 45:1 inditing, overflowing with; 45:6 right sceptre, righteous rule.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in memory of Dr. John A. Hash • Staff: Chris Robison • Country: Latvia (2.48 million) eastern coast of Baltic Sea in northeastern Europe • Major languages: Latvian and Russian • Religious freedom • 20% Protestant (mainly Lutheran); 20% Roman Catholic; 15% Orthodox; .9% Jewish; .4% Muslim; 43.7% Atheist/Agnostics/Other • Prayer Suggestion: Trust in the Lord; He is your refuge (Ps. 15:1-4).
Optional Reading: I Thessalonians 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 46 – 51
Highlights:

The psalmist's confidence and praise; deception of worldly wealth; prayer for mercy and forgiveness.
Whoso offereth praise glorifieth Me: and to him that ordereth his conversation aright will I shew the salvation of God (Ps. 50:23).

God is glorified when we praise him. From the rising of the sun unto the going down of the same the Lord's Name is to be praised (113:3). The name of the Lord should be lifted above all names. He deserves to have the praises of His people. He deserves to have the worship of all creation: For great is the Lord (I Chr. 16:25).

God bestows all of life's blessings — He loadeth us with benefits (Ps. 68:19). How often we take for granted our good health, sound mind, physical well-being, and all our possessions! Not only do we tend to take these things for granted, but even worse, we sometimes complain, as if we think we deserve more. God gives us so much more than we deserve. We should learn contentment with the abundance God grants. Many, O Lord my God, are Thy wonderful works . . . to us-ward . . . they are more than can be numbered (40:5).

The psalmist greatly encourages us to praise the Lord: Praise ye the Lord. Praise God in His sanctuary: praise Him in the firmament of His power. Praise Him for His mighty acts: praise Him according to His excellent greatness. Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet: praise Him with the psaltery and harp. . . . Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord (150:1-3,6).

We praise God because of who He is (Rev. 21:6-7). He is worthy of praise (I Chr. 16:25; Rev. 5:11-14). When we openly praise Him and let others know that all we have comes from God rather than "good luck," we glorify Him. God calls us to lift up His Name. This is how the world will know of His good works. And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto Me (John 12:32).

When we sincerely praise Him and are truly thankful, we express satisfaction with His arrangement of the affairs of our life. When we trust Him in the face of disappointments, it is not necessary that we know why or that we understand what God is working in our life. The secret of "rejoicing forevermore" is confidently trusting in Him who knows what is best. Therefore, our praise must go beyond being thankful for what is pleasing to us.

Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you (I Thess. 5:16-18).

Thought for Today:

As Christians our greatest fulfillment comes when we praise and exalt our wonderful Lord.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who will judge His people (Ps. 50:4). The Lord Jesus Christ . . . shall judge the quick (living) and the dead at His appearing (II Tim. 4:1).
Word Studies:

46:6 heathen raged, nations were in turmoil; 48:11 daughters of Judah, its cities and villages as opposed to Jerusalem, the major city; 49:9 see corruption, experience death; 50:23 conversation, daily conduct; 51:4 clear, pure, blameless.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Dan Murton • Government Official: Sen. Lamar Alexander (TN) • Country: Lebanon (4.3 million) in the Middle East • Major languages: Arabic and French • Limited religious freedom • 55% Muslim (Shi'a, Sunni); 41% Christian (Maronite, Orthodox, Melchite, Protestant, Chaldean, Assyrian, Syriac); 3% Druze; 1% Others (Jewish, Baha'i, Alawi, Jehovah's Witness) • Prayer Suggestion: Trust in the Lord: where He guides, He provides (Ps. 16:1-8).
Optional Reading: I Thessalonians 2

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk