Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Joshua 20 – 21

Highlights:

Six cities of refuge appointed; forty-eight cities given to the Levites; Israel possesses the land.
And the children of Israel gave unto the Levites out of their inheritance, at the Commandment of the Lord, these cities and their suburbs (Josh. 21:3).

Aaron and his family were chosen from the tribe of Levi to be priests. They were responsible for performing the Tabernacle ceremonies, offering the sacrifices, and taking care of spiritual matters.

The families of the three sons of Levi were chosen to be the priests' helpers — Gershonites, Kohathites, and Merarites. They were responsible for erecting, transporting and preserving the Tabernacle.

Since the Levites received no inheritance in the promised land, the other tribes gave them forty-eight cities and a tithe of their income, produce, and cattle each year (see Num.18:21-28; Deut. 14:27-29). These cities were equally distributed throughout the tribes in order that every tribe would have spiritual guidance.

Nearly two-and-a-half centuries before this allotment, Jacob had prophesied of Levi: I will divide them in Jacob, and scatter them in Israel (Gen. 49:7). Without any reference to Jacob's prophecy, the ancient utterance became fact.

Each tribe was to provide for the financial welfare of the priests within its territory. It was not left up to the goodwill of the people but was the Command of God. This freed the Levites from being distracted by secular interests. It also made it clear it was not the will of God that those whom He called for spiritual service should be involved and distracted by temporal and material interests.

The Lord devoted the entire 21st chapter of Joshua — all 45 verses — to the necessity of supporting the ministry of His Word. When Israel was faithful in this responsibility, God mightily blessed them. When they failed to do so, the nation suffered.

This same principle holds true today. Every Christian is obligated to share in the support of those who are in full-time Christian service. The Apostle Paul illustrates this, saying: Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock? . . . it is written in the Law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. . . . Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the Gospel should live of the Gospel (I Cor. 9: 7-14).

Thought for Today:

When you take from man the privilege of giving, you rob him of one of life's greatest pleasures.
Christ Portrayed:

By Eleazar, the chief priest (Josh. 21:1; Num. 3:32). Jesus Christ is our High Priest. The . . . High Priest of our profession (confession), Christ Jesus (Heb. 3:1).
Word Studies:

20:2 Appoint out, Choose, Assign; 20:3 unwittingly, without premeditation, unintentionally; 20:4 declare his cause, state his case; 20:5 hated him not, was without malice; 20:9 stranger, foreign resident; sojourneth, temporarily dwells; at unawares, by accident; 21:1 heads, leaders; 21:4 lot, share.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Radio Broadcasts sponsored by Mr. & Mrs. Edward Mantych • Staff: Gina Lesnefsky • Country: United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, & Wales) (59.4 million) off the coast of western Europe • Major languages: English and Welsh • Religious freedom • 55% Anglican; 16% Catholic; 6% Other Protestant; 2% Muslim; .9% Sikh; .8% Hindu; .6% Jewish; .2% Buddhist; 10.5% Other; 5% Unaffiliated • Prayer Suggestion: Make everything you do a matter of prayer (I Thess. 5:17).
Optional Reading: John 11

Memory Verse for the Week: Philippians 2:15

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Joshua 22 – 24

Highlights:

Two and a half tribes sent home; controversy over the Altar of Testimony; Joshua's final reminder of the Lord's goodness to Israel; the altar of witness; Joshua's death.
Choose you this day whom ye will serve . . . but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord (Josh. 24:15).

The conquest of Canaan was concluded after many days that probably stretched into seven years (22:3). It is remarkable that during the sojourn in the wilderness there is one long dialog of murmurings, but during these seven years there were no murmurings, with the exception of one complaint from the tribe of Joseph after the territories were assigned (17:14-18). This marked difference between the Israel under Moses and the Israel under Joshua during much more difficult times is remarkable.

But it is when we're moving forward actively serving the Lord, overcoming the enemy, that we don't find time to murmur. As the Israelites' armies were subduing kingdoms, winning victories, experiencing the Lord's deliverance, there was no discontent, never a suggestion that they return to Egypt.

What joy it must have been for the old prophet Joshua to have the honor of reminding the nation of the mercies of God from the time He had brought them out of Egypt to the time He led them into the land He had promised to Father Abraham!

Seven times he referred to the idolatrous nations still remaining in Canaan. He knew the snare they would be to Israel, and he warned the Israelites not to associate with the idolatrous nations around them. Joshua said unto the people. . . . If ye forsake the Lord . . . then He will turn and do you hurt, and consume you, after that He hath done you good. . . . Now therefore put away . . . the strange (foreign) gods which are among you, and incline your heart unto the Lord God of Israel (24:19-23). We too need to be reminded daily to incline your (our) heart unto the Lord.What a tragedy that so many people today assume that, once a person has accepted Jesus Christ as Savior, he has nothing to do but "just leave everything up to the Lord." The truth is, the Lord has left it up to us to put on the whole armour of God (Eph. 6:11).

Joshua boldly declared his love and loyalty to God. Many Christians who have been tempted to compromise their convictions have been greatly strengthened by his words: But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord (Josh. 24:15).

For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth (Rom. 1:16).

Thought for Today:

Determine today that you and your household will serve the Lord.
Christ Revealed:

Through the Peace Offerings (Josh. 22:27). Our Lord offered Himself to God as our means of peace with the Father. Being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ (Rom. 5:1).
Word Studies:

22:9 were possessed, had acquired; 22:10 to see to, for all to see; 22:19 unclean, unfit, defiled; 22:20 accursed, belonged to the Lord — all Israel became accursed if anyone took something for himself (6:17-19); 22:23 require it, call us to account; 22:25 fearing, having reverential heartfelt submission to and respect for; 23:1 waxed, grew; 23:4 cut off, destroyed; 23:7 swear, make a vow; 23:9 stand before, withstand; 23:12 go in unto, associate with; 23:13 shall be snares . . . unto you, shall catch you unawares; scourges in, whip lashes on; 24:2 flood, Euphrates River; 24:20 strange, foreign; 24:23 incline, yield; 24:33 pertained, belonged.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in memory of Henry Rogers • Government Official: Rep. Jim Matheson (UT) • Country: United States (270 million) in North America • Major languages: English and Spanish • Religious freedom • 55% Protestant; 28% Catholic; 1% Orthodox; 2% Mormon; 2% Jewish; 1% Muslim; 11% Other/None • Prayer Suggestion: Give thanks always for fellow Christians (II Thess. 2:13-14).
Optional Reading: John 12

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Judges 1 – 2

Highlights:

Judah chosen to lead the wars against the Canaanites; angel rebukes Israel; death of Joshua; Israel's apostasy; their failure to drive out the Canaanites.
And the Lord was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron. . . . there arose another generation . . . which knew not the Lord (Judg. 1:19; 2:10).

Following the death of Joshua, the tribe of Judah had been chosen to lead the war, but they did not have the faith of Caleb, who wholly followed the Lord God of Israel (Josh. 14:14).

The Lord said, Judah shall go up, but Judah said to Simeon, Come up with me (Judg. 1:2-3). Then it appears that Simeon took the leadership, for we read: Judah went with Simeon (1:17). This revealed Judah's lack of faith in God alone, and he certainly did not trust the Lord later when they were confronted by an army with iron chariots.

This was not the first time the tribe of Judah was faced with horses and iron chariots. Under Joshua's leadership at the waters of Merom, they had defeated their enemies, who were as the sand that is upon the sea shore in multitude, with horses and chariots very many (Josh. 11:4).

It seems strange then that when Judah saw the iron chariots, they would not trust the Lord, for God had said: When thou goest out to battle against thine enemies, and seest horses, and chariots, and a people more than thou, be not afraid of them: for the Lord thy God is with thee, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt (Deut. 20:1).

There is no record of the tribe of Judah ever having been defeated by an army of iron chariots. The reason for their failure was unbelief. They simply refused to trust God.

The tribe of Judah was the first to go to battle against the Canaanites; and for a while, they conquered them. But from this time on, they never gained any more of their allotted territory.

What a revelation of the cause for powerless Christians who know so little of the Bible! Faith grows as we read the Word of God, enabling us to claim His promises.

Doubting the ability of God to answer prayer and His willingness to keep His Word is a dishonor to Him. Our faith is weakened when we dishonor the Lord by trusting in something or someone other than God Himself.

Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not (James 4:2).

Thought for Today:

Faith's food is the Word of God.
Christ Revealed:

As the Angel of the Lord who is understood to be Jesus Himself, for He speaks as God Himself (I made you . . . and have brought you . . . I sware . . . I said, I will never break My Covenant) (Judg. 2:1-4). Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am (John 8:58).
Word Studies:

1:7 meat under my table, leftover food; requited, repaid; 1:20 expelled thence, drove out, defeated; 1:23 descry, spy out; 1:27 would dwell, determined to remain; 1:30 tributaries, forced laborers; 2:12 bowed themselves unto, worshiped; 2:16 spoiled, plundered; 2:17 went a whoring after other gods, were unfaithful to the One True God; 2:18 repented, grieved, showed compassion; 2:19 corrupted themselves, became more sinful; 2:22 prove, test.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Jennifer Palafox • Government Officials: Rep. Pete Sessions (TX) and Sen. Orrin G. Hatch (UT) • Country: Uruguay (3 million) on the southeastern coast of South America • Major language: Spanish • Religious freedom • 60% Roman Catholic; 2% Protestant; 2% Jewish; .7% Eastern Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Intercede in prayer for those in authority over you (I Tim. 2:1-2).
Optional Reading: John 13

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Judges 3 – 5

Highlights:

Othniel judges and delivers Israel; Israel's sin; their enslavery by Moabites; Moabites defeated by Ehud; Deborah and Barak deliver Israel from Jabin, king of Canaan; death of Sisera; the song of Deborah and Barak.
And Deborah said unto Barak, Up; for this is the day in which the Lord hath delivered Sisera into thine hand: is not the Lord gone out before thee? So Barak went down from mount Tabor, and ten thousand men after him (Judg. 4:14).

Because of Israel's sins, God permitted Jabin, king of Canaan, to conquer them. We have no record of Barak or any other man in Israel praying for the Lord's guidance or deliverance during their twenty years of oppression.

Deborah's faith in the Word of God gave her the courage to urge Barak to go to war against Sisera and the 900 chariots of iron. Barak was afraid to face Sisera who had a powerful army with 900 chariots. He insisted that Deborah go with him to battle. With confidence in God and a prophetic message of victory, Deborah boldly led the way. Through her spiritual leadership God brought peace to the land for forty years (5:31).

The name Deborah means the Word. It is the Word of God and intercessory prayer that delivers us from the oppressor. He sent His Word, and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions (Ps. 107:20).

The Lord is seeking persons today who will intercede in prayer on behalf of His people. His Word tells us He is willing and waiting to release His people from the power of sin, but too many are willing captives of Satan and love this present evil age. And He saw that there was no man, and wondered that there was no intercessor: therefore His arm brought salvation unto Him; and His righteousness, it sustained Him (Is. 59:16).

God never chooses anyone because of their exceptional wisdom, military ability, political influence, or skillful leadership. The source of their strength and ability is the Spirit of the Lord (Judg. 3:10; 6:34; 14:6,19).

For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called . . . no flesh should glory in His presence (I Cor. 1: 26,29).

Thought for Today:

The Lord desires to release His people from the power of sin. But too many are willing captives of Satan.
Christ Portrayed:

By Othniel, a deliverer upon whom the Spirit of the Lord rested (Judg. 3:9-11). The Spirit of God was also upon Christ, our Deliverer (Matt. 3:16). There shall come out of Sion (Zion) the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob (Rom. 11:26). Jesus declared: The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He hath anointed Me . . . to preach deliverance to the captives (Luke 4:18).
Word Studies:

3:7 groves, idols, trees or poles set up near an altar for idol worship; 3:13 gathered, recruited; 3:18 made an end to offer the present, finished giving the tribute; bare, carried; 3:19 Keep silence, Leave us alone; 3:24 covereth his feet, taking a nap; 4:13 Gentiles, nations; 4:15 discomfited, struck terror in; 4:16 host, army; fell upon the edge of the sword, were killed; 5:10 ride on white asses, hold public offices; 5:11 go down to the gates, defend themselves; 5:14 root, few; 5:15 princes, rulers; 5:18 jeoparded, risked; 5:30 sped, found (the enemy); divers, various.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Barbara Jean Jackson • Government Official: Rep. Nydia M. Velazquez (NY) • Country: Uzbekistan (24.4 million) central Asia • Major languages: Uzbek and Russian • Limited religious freedom due to Islamic influence • 68.2% Muslim (largely Sunni); 4.4% Russian Orthodox; .2% Roman Catholic; .2% Protestant; .5% Jewish; .5% Other; .2% Baha'i; .3% Buddhist; 25.5% nonreligious/other • Prayer Suggestion: Pray without anger or resentment in your heart (I Tim. 2:8).
Optional Reading: John 14

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Judges 6 – 7

Highlights:

Midianites oppress Israel for seven years; call of Gideon to deliver Israel from the Midianites; Gideon's signs; his army reduced to 300; Gideon's victory.
And the Lord looked upon him, and said, Go in this thy might, and thou shalt save Israel from the hand of the Midianites: have not I sent thee? (Judg. 6:14).

There was peace in the land for forty years because of the faith and courage of the prophetess Deborah. Then once again, the Israelites did evil in the sight of the Lord and were delivered . . . into the hand of Midian seven years (6:1). After they prayed, God appeared to Gideon.

Gideon was from the half-tribe of Manasseh, where Baal worship was popular. But because of his faith and obedience to God, he was willing to risk his life in order to destroy the idol of Baal and offer sacrifices to Jehovah. Because of this, he faced hostile reaction from his own family, as well as from the men of the city (6:30).

At that time Israel was confronted with a vast invading army of 135,000 Midianite soldiers. Only 32,000 Israelites volunteered for battle (7:3). But 31,700 were disqualified, leaving only 300 soldiers to help Gideon conquer the Midianites.

Gideon was commanded to go in this thy might (6:14) and defeat the enemy. God certainly was not speaking of Gideon's mighty tribe for it was the smallest of all. Nor could He have been referring to his family, for it was the poorest. But this thy might rested in one thing — I sent thee.

No difficulty is so great that God cannot lead us through it. The things that confront a Christian are incidental in the light of the power of God. Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when His glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy (I Pet. 4:12-13).

Far too many Christians today, like Gideon's original army, are unqualified to serve God and are glad to be excused from sacrifice and service. They are too occupied with earthly things and are waiting for a more convenient time. Like Gideon's 300, the number of men and women who are dedicated enough to accomplish the will of God AT ANY COST are amazingly small. The believer's strength to overcome is from the Lord.

For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; (II Cor. 10:4).

Thought for Today:

God chooses the weakest, smallest, or least likely men's eyes to perform His work.
Christ Revealed:

As The Sword of the Lord (Judg. 7:20). In the Apostle John's revelation of Jesus, out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged Sword (Rev. 1:16). We know that the Sword is the Word of God (Eph. 6:17) and that Jesus is the Word of God made flesh (John 1:14).
Word Studies:

6:1 into the hand, under the control; 6:3 came up against them, invaded the country; 6:13 befallen, happened to; 6:16 smite, strike down; 6:19 unleavened, yeast-free; 6:20 flesh, meat; 6:28 grove, trees or poles set up in a place of idol worship; 6:36 by mine hand, through me; 7:3 in the ears, within the hearing.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Gov. Peter Shumlin, Rep. Donald A. Manzullo (IL), and Rep. Steve Stivers (OH)• Country: Vanuatu (189,000) a group of 12 large islands southwest of the Solomon Islands in the southwestern Pacific • Major languages: English and French • Religious freedom • 78% Protestant; 17% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Raise your hands in praise and prayer, and worship the Lord (I Tim. 2:8).
Optional Reading: John 15

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Judges 8 – 9

Highlights:

Ephraim's complaint against Gideon; kings of Midian slain; Gideon's children; his death; Abimelech made king: death of Abimelech.
And the men of Ephraim said unto him, Why hast thou served us thus, that thou calledst us not, when thou wentest to fight with the Midianites? And they did chide with him sharply (Judg. 8:1).

When Gideon, a peasant from the small half-tribe of Manasseh, blew the trumpet to summon volunteers to fight the Lord's battle (see 6:34), the so-called superior tribe of Ephraim stayed at home. The tribe of Ephraim was much larger in number, and they had the distinction of having the Tabernacle located within their territory. But because of their spirit of self-importance, God could not use them to share in the victory of Gideon's three hundred. Not until the battle was over and the Midianites were being pursued could God use them.

One would have expected them to apologize to Gideon and to express their regret for not having volunteered to help. But instead, after the major battle was won, they criticized Gideon for the way he handled the whole affair. Their finding fault with Gideon was actually a complaint against God, who had called and guided Gideon in bringing defeat to the Midianites.

Gideon's humility became apparent when he replied, What have I done now in comparison of you? Although he used diplomacy, he was faithful to God in reminding these proud complainers that the glory of all achievements belongs to God. For he concluded by saying, God hath delivered [them] into your hands (8:2-3).

True humility is the result of recognizing our utter dependence upon God. The humble person will not permit thoughts of jealousy or envy to dwell in his heart, for he has learned to say with the Apostle Paul, I be (am) nothing (II Cor. 12:11).

If God uses you in accomplishing His will, you can be sure that it is not because you possess greater abilities or talents than others, but because you recognize that you are nothing. Without His indwelling, nothing of eternal value is accomplished. Jesus said: I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in Me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without Me ye can do nothing (John 15:5).

Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves (Phil. 2:3).

Thought for Today:

In all our achievements, let us be as Gideon and give the glory to God.
Christ Portrayed:

By Gideon, who delivered the Israelites from Midian (Judg. 8:22-23). The Lord Jesus has delivered us out of the hands of our spiritual enemies, and it is fitting that He should rule over us. Our Lord Jesus Christ . . . gave Himself for our sins, that He might deliver us from this present evil world (Gal. 1:3-4; II Pet. 2:9; Rom. 11:26).
Word Studies:

8:1 chide, contend; 8:3 was abated, subsided; 8:9 in peace, victoriously; 8:12 discomfited, defeated; 8:26 collars, necklaces; 8:27 ephod, priestly garment; whoring, worshiping false gods; snare, stumbling block; 8:32 sepulchre, tomb; 9:2 your bone and your flesh, your relative; 9:4 vain and light, worthless and reckless; 9:17 adventured, risked; 9:20 fire, fiery destruction; 9:25 liers in wait, men in ambush; 9:38 mouth, boasting; 9:52 went hard unto, approached near; 9:56 rendered, returned.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Country: Vatican City (900) in Rome, Italy • Major languages: Italian and Latin • Religious freedom • Approximately 100% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Trust in God and offer up your prayers night and day (I Tim. 5:5).
Optional Reading: John 16

Memory Verse for the Week: Philippians 2:16

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read  Judges 10 – 11

Highlights:

Tola judges Israel twenty-three years; Jair judges Israel; Jephthah chosen captain; his rash vow which cost him his only child; victory over Ammonites.
And Gilead's wife bare him sons; and his wife's sons grew up, and they thrust out Jephthah, and said unto him, Thou shalt not inherit in our father's house; for thou art the son of a strange woman (Judg. 11:2).

Jephthah was forced to leave Israel because he was an illegitimate child. He went to his mother's country in Syria where he lived for eighteen years. Although it looked as though everyone was against him, he did not allow self-pity or bitterness to rob him of the Lord's blessing. Of all the thousands of men in Israel, Jephthah was chosen to be a judge, and his name is included among the great heroes of faith along with Samuel and David (see Heb. 11:32).

Many people in Jephthah's circumstances of being rejected might have said, "If this is how they feel, let them fight their own battles." However, Romans 11:33 tells us that the ways of God are past finding out! Who would have thought that this exiled, illegitimate son would one day be the only man amoung the thousands of Israelites qualified to occupy the position of Judge in Israel?

We often do not understand the way God arranges circumstances, but He does. It is not necessary that we feel God in our circumstances, for even though we may not be conscious of His presence, He is there!

Christians often tend to rate their influence and effectiveness by how well people accept them. But God has not called us to be popular or successful; He has called us to remain faithful. Great victory lies in accepting all things from His hand.

And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in His presence (I Cor. 1:28-29).

Those who are used of God will experience many testings. This is how He prepares us for the work He called us to do.

Accept with gratitude all that comes into your life — through friend or enemy, failures or humiliations — as the Lord's way of drawing you closer to Himself.

But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you (I Pet. 5:10).

Thought for Today:

Man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart (I Sam. 16:7).
Christ Portrayed:

By Jephthah's only child as she wholly submitted to her father's will even as Jesus wholly submitted to His Father's will (Judg. 11:34-40). On the night He was betrayed, Jesus prayed: Not as I will, but as Thou wilt (Matt. 26:39).
Word Studies:

10:8 vexed, afflicted, grievously oppressed; 10:14 cry unto, ask for help from; 11:2 strange, foreign; 11:3 vain, renegade; 11:23 dispossessed, driven out; 11:34 timbrels, tambourines; 11:35 opened my mouth, made a vow.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in memory of Letha Hash • Staff: Ilene Wallace • Government Officials: Gov. Lincoln Davenport Chafee (RI), Rep. Nancy Pelosi (CA), and Rep. Jason Chaffetz (UT) • Country: Venezuela (23 million) on the northern coast of South America • Major languages: Spanish and Indian dialects • Religious freedom • 94% Roman Catholic; 1% Protestant; 1% Indian pagan religions • Prayer Suggestion: Pray without stopping (II Tim. 1:3).
Optional Reading: John 17

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Judges 12 – 14

Highlights:

Jephthah's victory over the Ephraimites; Jephthah judges Israel six years; Israel delivered to Philistines; birth of Samson, Samson in Timnath; his feast and riddle.
The Spirit of the Lord began to move him [Samson] at times (Judg. 13:25).

Samson was the judge God appointed over Israel for twenty years. When he went to Timnath, it was of the Lord, that he sought an occasion against the Philistines (14:4). But it appears he may have been so distracted by the woman, that he forgot the purpose God had for sending him there. Then when he caused trouble with the Philistines, the leading Israelites of the tribe of Judah rebuked him saying: Knowest thou not that the Philistines are rulers over us? (15:11). How different would have been the outcome if the men of Judah had urged all the tribes of Israel to unite with Samson, pray, and overthrow the Philistines!

Each time the children of Israel cried unto the Lord (3:9, 4:3; 6:6-7; 10:10), God prepared a deliverer. This time the Israelites had been controlled by the Philistines for about forty years, but there was no prayer for deliverance. Therefore they remained powerless under the control of the Philistines. Israel had forgotten the Lord's purpose for bringing them into the promised land.

Even though Israel had forsaken Jehovah, God extended His mercy to them. His Spirit began to move upon Samson, the man who would deliver them. But Samson fell far short of fulfilling his calling, as the Lord foretold: He shall begin to deliver Israel out of the hand of the Philistines (13:5).

Samson's life was filled with failure because of his self-centered desires, as revealed when he said: Get her for me; for she pleaseth me well (14:1-3). Samson was more concerned over pleasing himself than he was in pleasing God.

Samson went down — geographically and spiritually — when he went down to Timnath (14:1). While he was in enemy territory, he was not able to cope with the temptations he encountered there.

The three women in Samson's life are a type of the world, undoubtedly very attractive, as sin often is. They represent the fair, pleasure-loving world which seeks to rob the true Christian of his power with God.

See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil (Eph. 5:15-16).

Thought for Today:

The life of Samson is typical of many who get distracted from carrying out the will of God.
Christ Portrayed:

By Samson, who, as a Nazarite, was to be consecrated to God from the womb (birth) to the day of his death (Judg. 13:7). Jesus was also set apart and consecrated to God from the womb to the day of His death on the cross. Unlike Samson, who failed God, Jesus totally fulfilled the will of God as He said He would do when He left heaven saying: Lo, I come . . . to do Thy will, O God (Heb. 10:7).
Word Studies:

12:6 frame, pronounce it right; 13:6 terrible, awe-inspiring, evoking profound respect; 14:4 occasion against, opportunity to destroy, but once again Samson became sidetracked; 14:17 lay sore upon him, pestered, persisted, and cried.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in honor of Linda Kennon • Country: Vietnam (78.5 million) in Southeast Asia • Major languages: Vietnamese and French • Very strict control of Christians in the North; the South has been more lenient but is getting tighter • 60% Buddhist; 8% Catholic; 1% Protestant; 3% Cao Dai; 2% Hoa Hao; 3% Islam; 13% Other; 10% None • Prayer Suggestion: Intercede in prayer for those who forsake or disappoint you (II Tim. 4:16).
Optional Reading: John 18

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Judges 15 – 17

Highlights:

Samson is denied his wife; Samson slays a thousand Philistines; his moral weakness; the secret of Samson's great strength revealed to Delilah; Samson avenged in his death; Micah's images and hired priests.
And it came to pass afterward, that he loved a woman in the valley of Sorek, whose name was Delilah (Judg. 16:4).

Samson did not go to Sorek (in Philistine territory) for the purpose of seeing Delilah. But when he saw her, he was attracted to her. Once again he was sidetracked from his mission in life.

Samson probably went to Sorek for the same reason he went to Timnath — to seek an occasion against the Philistines (14:4). But in the twenty years he judged Israel, we have no recordSamson prays for guidance to fulfill his calling. Consequently, he fell short of completing the will of God for his life.

Was Solomon thinking of Samson as he wrote, For by means of a whorish woman a man is brought to a piece of bread: and the adulteress will hunt for the precious life (Prov. 6:26)? Samson underestimated the power of lust. He thought he had it under control, but it finally controlled him. The hero who had never lost a battle in twenty years became a slave because he continued to lust for women.

Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death (James 1:15).

Samson's life was typical of the spiritual condition of the nation who had lost the vision of the Covenant promise to claim Canaan as the Lord's possession. Not once in the twenty years of his leadership do we read of his building an altar or praying for guidance to fulfill his calling. His natural ability and physical strength gave him an independent, self-sufficient spirit. He did that which was right in his own eyes (Judg. 17:6).

Satan effectively seeks to cut off the usefulness of every Christian as he did Samson. Our only safeguard is a daily dependence on the Lord. The person who is unfaithful in praying and meditating daily upon the Word of God, will, like Samson, be misdirected and eventually lose the purpose of the call of God for his life. When Christ rules our life, our chief concern will be, "What would Jesus have me do?"

But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway (I Cor. 9:27).

Thought for Today:

Sin often appears attractive, but the end results are ugly.
Christ Revealed:

Through the strength God gave to Samson for his last victory over the Philistines (Judg. 16:28-30). I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me (Phil. 4:13).
Word Studies:

15:2 hated, disliked; 15:3 a displeasure, great evil; 16:5 afflict him, hold him captive; 16:16 vexed, pestered, harassed, annoyed; 16:21 fetters, chains; 16:25 make us sport, entertain us; 17:5 teraphim, household idols.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in honor of Bonnie Wilhite • Government Official: Rep. David B. McKinley (WI) • Country: Yemen (17 million) in southwestern Arabia • Major language: Arabic • Attempts to convert Muslims to Christ are fiercely opposed • 98% Muslim; .03% Christian (all secret believers) • Prayer Suggestion: Pray for your Christian friends (Phil. 1:4).
Optional Reading: John 19

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Judges 18 – 19

Highlights:

Danites take Micah's idols and his priest, Jonathan; Danites attack Laish; moral degradation; the Levite's concubine slain.
In those days there was no king in Israel: and in those days the tribe of the Danites sought them an inheritance to dwell in. . . . when they came to mount Ephraim, to the house of Micah, they lodged there (Judg. 18: 1-2).

Although the tribe of the Dan was powerful and had more than 64,000 soldiers, they did not succeed in driving the Amorites from their territory. In fact, the Amorites forced the Danites into the mountains.

The Danites' failure in battle was an indication of a spiritual problem. They did not conquer the Amorites because they failed to believe the Word of God and claim His promise. There shall not any man be able to stand before thee (Josh. 1:5).

Likewise, our failure to claim the promises of God causes us to be dissatisfied with the blessings we have. This usually results in further spiritual decline. That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises (Heb. 6:12).

The faith by which Joshua, Caleb, and others had achieved their victories was missing, and their failure in battle caused them to be dissatisfied with the territory God had allotted to them. The tribe of Dan compromised and chose land that had not been allotted by divine appointment. As a result, their spiritual condition continued to decline. If they had remained in the territory God had given them, they would not have entered the house of Micah and become involved in idol worship.

Multitudes are deceived into believing that it doesn't make any difference where or how you worship. They say, "Let your conscience be your guide." But the Apostle Paul, by inspiration of God, wrote: But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed (Gal. 1: 8).

Victory in the Christian life is not attained by one's wisdom or strength, but rather by trusting Him. If we deny ourselves — that is, "crucify our old ego" (Luke 9:23) — and enthrone the Savior and His Spirit in our hearts God will enable us to be the person that pleases Him.

Look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal (II Cor. 4:18).

Thought for Today:

False religious beliefs are the result of turning from the one sure source of wisdom.
Christ Revealed:

In those days there was no king in Israel (Judg. 18:1). Christ was the rejected King of Israel. Pilate saith unto them, Shall I crucify your King? The chief priests answered, We have no king but Caesar (John 19:15).
Word Studies:

18:2 coasts, territory; 18:9 still, still here doing nothing; 18:15 saluted, gave a friendly greeting to; 18:19 lay thine hand upon thy mouth, stop complaining or else suffer the consequences; 18:21 carriage, goods; 19:4 retained him, pressed him to stay; 19:6 let thine heart be merry, enjoy yourself; 19:17 wayfaring, traveling; 19:21 provender, fodder; 19:25 spring, dawn.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Radio Broadcasts in honor of Rick Hash • Country: Zaire, Democratic Republic of the Congo (63 million) in south-central Africa • Major languages: French and Lingala • Limited religious freedom • 42% Roman Catholic; 28% Protestant; 12% magical practices, ancestor worship, and witchcraft; 1% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Thank God for the spiritual rest that is in Him (Heb. 4:9-10).
Optional Reading: John 20

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk