Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Numbers 36

Highlights:

The daughters of Zelophehad wisely understood the significance of the Lord's inheritance. Did you note the rule of inheritance (Num. 36:7)? In striking contrast, Esau sold (gave away) his birthright (Gen. 25:32-34) and later we read that God said: Esau have I hated (Mal. 1:3; Rom. 9:13).
These are the Commandments and the Judgments, which the Lord commanded by the hand of Moses unto the children of Israel in the plains of Moab by Jordan near Jericho (Num. 36:13).

The new generation of Israelites was "near Jericho," about to take possession of the promised land. But before they did, Moses reviewed the happenings of the past 40 years in the light of the Commandments of the Lord. He reminded them of the reason their fathers had not been allowed to enter Canaan. Moses emphasized the importance of having God Himself guide them if they were to possess the promised land.

The purpose of the Commandments was to teach the people of God that they must be cleansed from all that would defile them — morally and spiritually. They reveal the importance of the Word of God in instructing His people to live a holy life pleasing to the Lord. Obedience to these Commandments provided the means whereby the people of God could have fellowship with Him. This illustrates how obedience to the Word of God makes a Christian acceptable: Now ye are clean through the Word which I have spoken unto you. Abide in Me, and I in you (John 15:3-4).

The Commandments are the supreme Old Testament illustration of the great New Testament Truth. If we walk in the Light, as He is in the Light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from all sin (I John 1:7).

Even the blood had no atoning value — no cleansing power — until it was offered in accordance with His Word. The blood was a substitute for the offender, the sinner, and pointed us toward the precious substitute, our Savior, who alone is able to cleanse us from sin.

The Book of Numbers reveals how the Lord's best is missed when we disobey His Word and fail to walk in His ways.Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the Living God (Heb. 3:12).

And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full. This then is the message which we have heard of Him, and declare unto you, that God is Light, and in Him is no darkness at all (I John 1:4-5).

Thought for Today:

If we walk in the Light, as He is in the Light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from all sin (I John 1:7).
Christ Revealed:

As the inheritance of the children of Israel (Num. 36:7). While they were given an inheritance of the land that would pass away, we have been given a greater inheritance, one that will not pass away. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to His abundant mercy hath begotten (through spiritual birth) us again unto a lively (living) hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, To an inheritance incorruptible (imperishable), and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you (I Pet. 1:3-4).
Word Studies:

36:4 jubile refers to every fiftieth year jubilee, when all debts were canceled (Lev. 25:10-12,28).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts: Sponsored by Dr. John A. Hash in memory of Letha Hash • Country: Sweden (8.09 million) in northern Europe • Major language: Swedish • Religious freedom • 90% Evangelical Lutheran; 1.5% Roman Catholic; 1% Pentecostal; 4% Muslim; 3.5% Other (Orthodox, Protestant, Muslim, Jewish, Mormon, Buddhist) • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to reveal His will and fill you with His Spirit (Eph. 5:17-18).
Memory Verse for the Week: Ephesians 3:20

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Deuteronomy 1 – 2

Highlights:

Moses reviews the Lord's goodness to the Israelites; the years in the wilderness; failure to enter the promised land because of unbelief; Israelites conquer Sihon.
For the Lord thy God hath blessed thee in all the works of thy hand: he knoweth thy walking through this great wilderness: these forty years the Lord thy God hath been with thee; thou hast lacked nothing (Deut. 2:7).

The old generation that left Egypt had not discerned that the purpose of God had for their trials was to develop their faith in His loving guidance. How different the history of Israel could have been if only they had trusted the Word of God instead of believing the report of the ten spies. They forever missed the blessings in Canaan (See Num. 13: 31).

Moses told the new generation the reason their parents failed to gain the promised land — they did not believe the Lord your God (Deut. 1:32).

The new generation of Israelites faced the same problems their parents faced thirty-eight years earlier. In a few days they would be crossing the river Jordan, facing walled cities, and walking in unfamiliar territory.

Not only were the Canaanites a numerous and powerful people, but the Israelites were a very unpromising people. The Israelites' history was a continuous record of complaining, wanting to return to Egypt, and disobeying the Laws of God.

At one time or another, every Christian faces "giant" problems, but God provides strength to all who trust Him. But not until we actively move out in faith to accomplish His purposes will we truly be what He would have us be.

To trust the Lord when we are faced with giants and high walls does not come natural for anyone. But faith is developed as we act upon the Word of God because faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God (Rom. 10:17). To the measure that we read and meditate upon His Word —and act upon it — our faith is increased.

The Holy Spirit is the divine Interpreter of the Word we have in our hearts. As we read the Bible, the Holy Spirit's ministry is to make the Word quick, and powerful so that Bible Truths become a living reality in our lives. For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Heb. 4:12).

Then, we need not fear the strength or the number of our hindrances, for the shield of faith . . . shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked (Eph. 6:16).

Thought for Today:

Do not be discouraged because of past failure. Just look to God and trust in Him.
Christ Portrayed:

By Moses, who spake unto the children of Israel, according unto all that the Lord had given him in Commandment unto them (Deut. 1:3). Jesus faithfully told others everything God told Him to say. I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father hath taught Me, I speak these things (John 8:28).
Word Studies:

1:12 cumbrance, disputes; 1:39 should be a prey, would be taken captive; 1:42 smitten, defeated; 2:1 compassed, went around; 2:18 coast, border or territory; 2:33 smote, defeated.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for our Military worldwide • International Radio Broadcasts sponsored by Mr. & Mrs. Edward Mantych • Staff: Dr. John A. Hash • Government Official: Rep. Randy M. Hultgren (IL) • Country: Switzerland (7 million) in central Europe • Major languages: German and French • Religious freedom • 53% Roman Catholic; 41% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Give thanks to the Lord for all things (Eph. 5:19-20).
Optional Reading: Luke 16

NOTE: Bible Pathway covers the Old Testament with devotional and commentary insights over a nine-month period, January through September. Each day during these months, an optional reading of one chapter a day from the New Testament will also be listed. The October, November, and December issues will provide a daily commentary on the New Testament readings. Thus, the reader goes through the New Testament twice each year using the Bible Pathway plan.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Deuteronomy 3 – 4

Highlights:

Og, King of Bashan; division of the land; Moses' prayer to enter Canaan; his view of the promised land; his plea for national obedience; warning against idolatry; cities of refuge chosen.
And because He loved thy fathers, therefore He chose their seed after them, and brought thee out in His sight with His mighty power out of Egypt (Deut. 4:37).

The new generation of Israelites that grew up in the wilderness experienced many changes. The desert "wanderings" ceased as they settled within the promised land of Canaan. Houses replaced the tents, produce from the land replaced the manna.

Not only did Moses declare the Law of God to this new generation, but most precious of all, they experienced a new revelation of God — the revelation of His love!

From the time of creation in Genesis through the Book of Numbers — almost 3,000 years — nothing is said about the love of God. But in the Book of Deuteronomy, it is repeated four times: The Lord . . . loved thy fathers (4:35-37); the Lord loved you (7:8); The Lord had a delight in thy fathers to love them (10:15); the Lord thy God turned the curse into a blessing unto thee, because the Lord thy God loved thee (23:5).

This added revelation was to strengthen the new generation's faith in Him to lead them into the promised land. But the supreme manifestation of the love of God was yet to be revealed.

Yes, God loved Israel, and He loved the world so much that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life (John 3:16). As many as received Him (Jesus) . . . gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His Name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God (1:12-13).

Jesus further explained how and why we receive this new nature of God: Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the Kingdom of God (3:5-7).

Believe and receive the love-gift of eternal life and let Jesus express His will through you. He said: He that hath My Commandments, and keepth them, he it is that loveth Me: and he that loveth Me shall be loved of My Father, and I will love him, and will manifest Myself to him (14:21).

Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another ( I John 4:11).

Thought for Today:

It is easy to say that we love God, but the true test is: Do we show that love to the people we see daily?
Christ Portrayed:

By Joshua who led the Israelites into their inheritance (Deut. 3:28). Through Jesus we receive His promised inheritance among them which are sanctified (set apart) by faith that is in Me (Acts 26:18).
Word Studies:

3:7 spoil, plunder; prey, prize of the war; 3:18 meet, fit; 3:28 charge, commission (also 31:14); 4:2 diminish ought, take away anything; 4:10 fear, have reverential heartfelt submission to and respect for (also 14:23; 28:58; Josh. 22:5); 4:13 covenant, binding agreement with all qualifications given by God (also 5:2; 33:9); 4:14 possess, live in; 4:19 divided, allotted; 4:27 heathen, Gentile people; 4:30 tribulation, distress, suffering; 4:34 assayed, ever tried; 4:41 severed, separated; 4:42 unawares, accidentally.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Radio Broadcasts unto the Lord • Bible Pathway Printer: Ambrose Printing Staff, Nashville, TN • Staff: Dan Murton • Government Officials: Rep. Hansen Clarke (MI) and DOI Sec'y. Ken L. Salazer • Country: Syria (17 million) in southwestern Asia • Major languages: Arabic and Kurdish • Limited religious freedom for Christians • 90% Muslim; 4% Eastern Orthodox; 2% Roman Catholic; .25% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Wives, ask the Lord to give you a submissive spirit to your husbands as if it were to the Lord (Eph. 5:22).
Optional Reading: Luke 17

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Deuteronomy 5 – 7

Highlights:

The Ten Commandments; warnings against disobedience; teaching the children the Law of God; blessings of obedience.
And Moses called all Israel, and said unto them, Hear, O Israel, the Statutes and Judgments which I speak in your ears this day, that ye may learn them, and keep, and do them (Deut. 5:1).

Just as their parents before them had done, the second generation of Israelites soon began to ignore the Word of God.

Under the old Covenant there was always one problem: although the Law that was given at Mt. Sinai was holy, it was written on stone. It could reveal the divine will of God and expose sin, but it could not impart the desire or the strength to obey its Commands.

The new Covenant in Christ was written not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart . . . not of the letter, but of the spirit (II Cor. 3: 3,6). This is made possible through the new birth whereby we are given the nature of God that dwells within all who receive Christ as Savior and Lord (John 3:3,5; Rom. 8:9-11).

As we read His Word with a desire to please the Lord, it becomes "written in our hearts." Through the indwelling Word that is written in our hearts, our spirit can know His will. But it is only by surrendering to Christ that we receive the desire and strength to fulfill His will. Christ — the living, indwelling Word — becomes our very life. All of us should be able to say: I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me (Gal. 2:20).

Whoever has a love for God will live by His message. By this we can be sure that we are in union with Him. Whoso keepeth His Word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in Him (I John 2:5; comp. Jer. 31:33; Phil. 2:13).

When we love the Lord, we are enabled by Him to suffer, sacrifice, or surrender whatever is necessary to please Him. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ (Phil. 3:8).

Whoever loves God will desire to live according to His Word. For this is the love of God, that we keep His Commandments: and His Commandments are not grievous (I John 5:3).

Thought for Today:

Empowered by His Word we will do His will.
Christ Revealed:

Through the land flowing with milk and honey (Deut. 6:3). This pictures Christ who bountifully provides for our needs. Seek ye first the Kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33).
Word Studies:

5:1 statutes, permanent laws; judgments, laws, verdicts, sentences; 5:2 Covenant, binding agreement with all qualifications given by God; 6:21 bondmen, slaves; 6:22 sore, terrible; 7:25 graven images, carved wooden idols; abomination, detestable, hated thing; 7:26 cursed thing, thing set apart for destruction.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. David Schweikert (AZ) and Rep. Rosa L. DeLauro (CT) • Country: St. Lucia (154,000) in the eastern Caribbean • Major languages: English and French patois • Religious freedom • 83% Roman Catholic; 13% Protestant; 2% spirit worship • Prayer Suggestion: Husbands, love your wives as Christ loves the Church (Eph. 5:25).
Optional Reading: Luke 18

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Deuteronomy 8 – 10

Highlights:

A good land to be possessed; warning against forgetting the Lord; judgment upon the Canaanites; Israel's rebellion and Moses' intercessory prayer; second tables of stone; the Lord's requirements of Israel.
And He humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that He might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord doth man live (Deut. 8:3).

After entering Canaan, the new generation would be especially tempted to become proud that they had possession of the promised land. They would then be tempted to forget God while enjoying the abundance of the land.

The desert wanderings were to teach the Israelites to lose confidence in self and to cause them to daily depend on His Word and realize that man does not live by bread alone but by the Word of the Lord.

Moses assured the new generation that obedience to the Word of God would bring them into a land of prosperity. However, if in their prosperity they forgot God and served false gods, then God would remove them from their inheritance.

When Jesus was tempted by Satan in the wilderness, He quoted from Deuteronomy (8:3) saying: Man shall not live by bread alone (Matt. 4:4). In each of Christ's three testings in the wilderness, He over came Satan by quoting Old Testament Scripture. These are examples of the power of the Word of God to overcome the enemy (Deut. 6:13-16; 13:4).

One of the most remarkable facts of modern times is that the Bible, although it is hundreds of years old, is now the world's "best seller." By the time most textbooks are ten years old, they are out of date.

God has preserved His written Word through many centuries and through it, He speaks to our generation today. The Christian who desires to please His Master will let the Scripture be his daily food and meditation.

All the Bible is essential for man's complete spiritual food and growth. Nothing can be omitted without seriously impairing the whole. As we read the Bible, His power and life become a part of us.

This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever (John 6: 58).

Thought for Today:

The Bible is the Bread of Life — our source of strength that enables us to accomplish His will.
Christ Revealed:

Through the shittim (acacia) wood used to make the Ark of the Covenant (Deut. 10:3). Acacia wood, a desert growth, is symbolic of Christ in His human form. When the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth His Son, made of a woman, made under the Law (Gal. 4:4).
Word Studies:

8:2 prove, test; 8:14 thine heart be lifted up, you become unmindful of God; 8:18 establish His Covenant, accept His agreement with His qualifications; 9:5 perform the word, accomplish His promise; 9:6 stiffnecked, stubborn, self-willed; 10:6 stead, place; 10:15 seed, descendants.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Gov. Rick Perry (TX), Rep. Chris Smith (NJ), and Rep. James Lankford (OK) • Country: St. Vincent and The Grenadines (120,000) in the Lesser Antilles of the eastern Caribbean • Major languages: English and French patois • Religious freedom • 50% Protestant; 17% Roman Catholic; 2% spiritist • Prayer Suggestion: Children, ask the Lord to enable you to honor your parents (Eph. 6:1-3).
Optional Reading: Luke 19

Memory Verse for the Week: Philippians 2:13

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Deuteronomy 11 – 13

Highlights:

Diligent study of the Word of God required; blessings for obedience and the curse for disobedience; God to choose the place of worship; idolatrous cities to be destroyed.
Therefore shall ye lay up these My words in your heart. . . . And ye shall teach them your children, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. And thou shalt write them upon the door posts of thine house, and upon thy gates (Deut. 11:8-20).

Children by nature do not develop a godly character. Through the ages, we have seen how they can be deceived by the prevailing materialistic philosophy.

The parents' first responsibility is to lay up the Word of God in their own hearts. Then they are commanded to teach the Word of God to their children. When thou sittest in thine house . . . when thou liest down, and when thou risest up calls for diligent teaching of scriptural Truths day after day. Parents should take advantage of every opportunity to teach them to be obedient to the Word of God.

Godly love for our children should prompt us to faithfully instill in them a realization that keeping His Commandments will lead to a right relationship with God and assurance of His future blessings.

God revealed to the Israelites the reason for obedience when He said: Ye shall command your children to observe to do, all the words of this Law. For it is not a vain thing for you; because it is your life (Deut. 32:46-47).

Today, as never before, Christian parents should teach their children about the worldly and evil influences that would turn their attention away from the Lord. If parents are to be effective in training their children to love the Lord, they must take a definite stand in where their children worship, the friends they choose, and the places they go.

What we teach our children — both by example and instruction — determines, to a great extent, their love for God. We are assured that if we train up a child in the way he should go . . . when he is old, he will not depart from it (Prov. 22:6).

If our hearts are not full of the love of God — regardless how correct our discipline and teaching may be — our children will see our hypocrisy. Provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord (Eph. 6:4).

And that from a child thou hast known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation (II Tim. 3:15).

Thought for Today:

It is crucial to the future well-being of any nation to diligently teach the Word of God to their children.
Christ Revealed:

Through the Burnt Offerings which were totally consumed. These typified Christ's total offering of Himself to death (Deut. 12:6; see Heb. 10:5-7). The bodies of those beasts, whose blood is brought into the Sanctuary (Holy Place) by the high priest for sin, are burned without the camp. Wherefore Jesus also, that He might sanctify (make holy) the people with His own blood, suffered without the gate (Heb. 13:11-12).
Word Studies:

11:1 keep His charge, be true to all His requirements; 11:6 opened her mouth, split like a chasm; 11:10 thy foot, working a water treadmill with your foot; 11:11 drinketh water, soaks up water; 11:17 wrath be kindled, anger flare up; 11:21 as the days of heaven upon the earth, forever; 11:22 cleave, hold fast; 11:25 stand before you, resist you; 12:15 lusteth after,  covets, desires; 12:26 holy, consecrated; 12:29 cut off, destroy; 13:13 Belial, worthlessness, evil; 13:15 smite, strike; 13:16 spoil, plunder; 13:18 hearken, listen and obey.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Radio Broadcasts sponsored by Mr. & Mrs. Rodney Heikkila • Staff: Beth Carlton • Government Officials: Gov. John Albert Kitzhaber (OR), Rep. Tim Holden (PA), and Rep. Todd Russell Platts (PA) • Country: Taiwan, Republic of China (22 million) 77 islands off the southeastern coast of Red China • Major language: Mandarin Chinese • Religious freedom • 80% "Chinese Religions" (Buddhist/Taoist/Confucian); 4% Christianity; .2% Muslim; 14% Atheist; 1.8% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Realize that you are insufficient (Eph. 6:10-11).
Optional Reading: Luke 20

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Deuteronomy 14 – 16

Highlights:

Clean and unclean food; the Laws of the tithe; the year of release; three feasts that must be observed.
Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year (Deut. 14: 22). The principle of tithing was established many centuries before the Law through Abraham, known as the father of the faithful. Abraham acknowledged his gratitude to God, the Provider of all his possessions, by presenting his tithes to Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God (Heb. 7:1-9).

Although the Law commanded Israel to present their tithes to God, no legal penalty was imposed upon those who were disobedient. This permitted the offering to be an expression of love. The giving of the tithe was a test of integrity. Furthermore, it was an act of acknowledging one's obligation to God as the true Possessor of all things.

The Israelites were warned that failure to tithe meant they were robbing God, and they would experience many trials, including crop failures, insects, and plagues (Mal. 3:11).

By bringing their corn . . . wine . . . oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks they would learn to fear the Lord thy God always (Deut. 14:23). Tithing would teach the Israelites to esteem God for who He is as well as acknowledge their responsibility to bring their tithes first — before any other consideration. God should occupy first place in their lives because all they possessed was the result of His loving provision. It would be an insult merely to bring something left over.

Israel was not only taught to bring the tithe before the Lord as a moral obligation, but they were to experience a heartfelt appreciation for the privilege; and all were to rejoice (14:26). Under the new Covenant with Christ, the principle of love should dictate even greater giving than was required under the old Law. Our gifts to the Lord are a means of expressing our love for His Word, as well as avoiding the danger of covetousness (Matt. 6:21), which is idolatry (Col. 3:5). Furthermore, it provides an opportunity for every Christian to have a part in the ministry of the Word of God.

The Lord repeats the principle of giving in our New Testament: He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver (II Cor. 9:6-7).

Thought for Today:

The person who lives only for his selfish gain and pleasure discovers that life becomes less satisfying with every passing year.
Christ Revealed:

Through the year of release, which typifies Christ's forgiveness of our sins (Deut. 15:1). This should cause us to realize how important it is to forgive others, even as He has forgiven us (Matt. 6:14-15). Be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you (Eph. 4:32).
Word Studies:

14:1 cut, disfigure; make any baldness, shave; 14:2 holy . . . peculiar people, treasured possession, dedicated; 14:7 cloven, split; 14:8 swine, pig; 14:23 fear, give reverential, heartfelt submission to and respect for; 14:25 turn, exchange; 14:26 Whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, Whatever you desire; 15:1 release, forgiveness of debts; 15:4 Save, Except; 15:5 hearken, listen and obey; 15:9 be evil, be selfish, inconsiderate, hateful, hostile, hold grudge; 15:10 not be grieved, have no regrets; 15:11 open thine hand wide, give freely; 15:14 floor, threshing floor; 15:15 bondman, slave; 16:3 leavened bread, bread that contains yeast; affliction, humiliation, distress; 16:13 corn, grain; 16:19 gift, bribe; 16:20 That which is altogether just, What is right.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Radio Broadcasts in memory of Audrey Hash • Staff: Chris Robison • Country: Tajikistan (6 million) southeast central Asia • Major languages: Tajik and Russian • Almost entirely Muslim • 82% Muslim; 4% Russian Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Put on God's whole armor so that you may be able to successfully stand up against Satan's evil attacks (Eph. 6:11).
Optional Reading: Luke 21

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Deuteronomy 17 – 20

Highlights:

Laws concerning disobedience to the priest; warning the kings; the portions of the Levites; prophecy concerning Christ; cities of refuge; murderers denied any refuge; Laws concerning war.
The Lord thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken (Deut. 18:15).

Moses was the great lawgiver who had the privilege of giving the Laws of God to His people. But Moses was more than a lawgiver — he was a prophet, foretelling of the coming Messiah-Savior.

There are many parallels in the life of Moses and life of Christ. Both of them were in great danger in infancy. Both were miraculously protected from death when Satan — through civil rulers (Pharaoh and Herod) — sought to kill them.

Both Moses and Christ were called by God, and both were rejected by their brethren. Jesus came unto His own, and His own received Him not (John 1:11). And Moses supposed his brethren would have understood how that God by his hand would deliver them: but they understood not (Acts 7:25). They both showed "signs and wonders" to confirm the anointing of God upon their mission. Both were great deliverers and great teachers. As a servant of God, Moses brought the Israelites out of Egyptian slavery and led them for forty years toward the promised land. But while Moses was only a servant, Christ is the Savior — the Son of God.

For 40 years, Moses interceded in prayer for Israel and delivered them from the judgment of God (Deut. 9:25-26). But Jesus is the Mediator of a better Covenant that is established upon better promises, for He ever liveth to make intercession for them (saints) (Heb. 7:25).

Although Moses was a prophet who received and proclaimed the Word of God, he was powerless to change the hearts of his followers. But One greater than Moses came — Christ, who is the Word and indwells and transforms the life of every believer.

And Moses verily was faithful in all his house, as a servant . . . But Christ as a Son over His own House; whose House are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end (3:5-6).

Moses' leadership ended at the border of the promised land, but Jesus leads His people into His Kingdom, where we shall reign with Him forever. He is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by Him (Heb. 7:25).

Thought for Today:

The Lord arranges daily incidents to present opportunities for us to express His love to our fellowman (I Pet. 2:24).
Christ Revealed:

Through the Old Testament animal (without blemish) sacrifices which were made (Deut. 17:1). Christ was perfectly pure from all sin. Christ . . . without blemish and without spot (I Pet. 1:19). As the Prophet (Deut. 18:18-19).
Word Studies:

17:2 transgressing His Covenant, sinful conduct, disregard; 17:4 wrought, done; 17:12 presumptuously, arrogantly, haughtily; hearken unto, listen to and obey; 17:15 stranger, foreigner; 18:3 due, right; 18:6 sojourned, has been residing; 18:8 patrimony, father's estate; 18:10 maketh . . . to pass through the fire, burns his child alive as an offering to an idol; divination, enchantment, witchcraft; 18:11 familiar spirits . . . wizard, necromancer, various activities of fortune-telling, consulting the dead, etc.; 18:13 perfect, wholehearted in your love and service to God, blameless; 19:4 ignorantly, unintentionally; 19:5 helve, handle; lighteth, strikes; 19:18 make diligent inquisition, investigate thoroughly; 20:11 tributaries, forced laborers.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Radio Broadcasts sponsored by Iva Jo Swinsburg • Bible Pathway Media Producer: Rick Hash • Government Officials: Rep. Elton Gallegly (CA) and Rep. Jason Altmire (PA) • Country: Tanzania (31.3 million) in eastern Africa • Major languages: Swahili and English • Churches are expected to help implement Marxist policy • 45% Christian; 19% Muslim; .4% Baha'i; .1% Hindu; 35.5% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Realize that prayer is one of the ways God uses to strengthen you in the power of His might (Eph. 6:18).
Optional Reading:  Luke 22

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Deuteronomy 21 – 23

Highlights:

Laws and responsibilities governing children, marriage, enemies, separation, integrity and worship.
Thou shalt not see thy brother's ox or his sheep go astray, and hide thyself from them: thou shalt in any case bring them again unto thy brother (Deut. 22:1).

Israel had been taught to express the same concern for the property of others as they would for their own. Everything belongs to God. Therefore, because of their Covenant relationship with Him, they were caretakers of the Lord's possessions. This meant that they were responsible for the property of even their enemies (compare 22:4, 25:15-16).

In our Lord's Sermon on the Mount, He summed it up by saying: Bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven (Matt. 5:44-45). As His disciples we must do the same.

We may not be legally responsible for an enemy's loss, but our stewardship responsibility to God requires that we respond to another's needs in the spirit of love. This, of course, goes far beyond merely complying with the law. It means responding to the needs of others as we would want them to respond to our needs.

The benefactor may or may not appreciate or deserve the kindness. But our responsibility is not to the person; it is to the Lord, who provides opportunities for us to express His love.

Jesus illustrated this by saying: A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which . . . wounded him . . . leaving him half dead. . . . a certain priest. . . . And likewise a Levite . . . looked on him, and passed by (Luke 10:30-32). Perhaps they had completed their religious responsibilities in Jerusalem and were on their way home to Jericho, the city of palm trees, where many of the Temple priests lived. To stop and help this man could have defiled them and made them ceremonially unclean or, perhaps, they felt he was undeserving. But a certain Samaritan wasn't looking for excuses to avoid giving aid or questioning whether the hurting man was deserving of help. Instead, this outcast from Samaria, who was much despised by the religious Jews, demonstrated Christlike love and had compassion (pity) on the man who fell among thieves and proved it by providing for his care (10:33-36).

My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth (I John 3:18).

Thought for Today:

The Lord arranges daily incidents to present opportunities for us to express His love to our fellowman.
Christ Revealed:

Christ died on a cross in our place, submitting to the penalty of death imposed by the Law for our sins (Deut. 21:22-23). In the evening He was taken down from the cross, signifying the Law had been satisfied (John 19:31). Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the Law, being made a curse for us (Gal. 3:13).
Word Studies:

21:3 wrought, worked; 21:4 eared, ploughed; strike, assault; 21:12 pare, trim; 21:13 bewail, mourn; 21:15 hated, loved less; 22:3 hide thyself, do nothing to help him, avoid responsibility; 22:6 dam, mother; 22:8 battlement, guard rail; 22:9 divers, various kinds of; 22:14 maid, virgin; 22:15 damsel, young woman; 22:19 amerce, fine; 22:25 force, rape; 22:30 discover, uncover; 23:1 stones, testicles; 23:13 paddle, spade; 23:19 usury, interest.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Radio Broadcasts sponsored by Thursday Morning Prayer • Staff: Clarence Rathbone • Country: Thailand (60 million) in Southeast Asia • Major languages: Thai and English • Limited freedom of Christian ministry; Buddhism is the state religion • 92% Buddhist; 4% Muslim; 2% Chinese folk-religionist; 1% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Pray that Christ will be seen through you (Phil. 1:20-21).
Optional Reading: Luke 23

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Deuteronomy 24 – 27

Highlights:

Laws for relationship with others; the offering of firstfruits; the offering of tithes; Laws for worship; blessings at Mt. Gerizim and curses at Mt. Ebal.
Remember what Amalek did unto thee by the way, when ye were come forth out of Egypt. . . . thou shalt blot out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven; thou shalt not forget it (Deut. 25:17,19).

From the days of Moses to the reign of David, the Amalekites, descendants of Esau (Gen. 36:12), were numbered among the enemies of Israel (Ps. 83:7). These perpetual enemies made a fierce attack on the Israelites at Rephidim near Mount Sinai soon after the exodus from Egypt (Ex. 17:8-16).

The judgment of God was against the Amalekites for their unwarranted attacks upon Israel when they were weak and defenseless. A record of this sin was kept in the book and God foretold, I will utterly put out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven (Ex. 17:14).

Israel illustrates how the people of God are guided by the Spirit of God and the Amalekites picture the old Adamic nature motivated by Satan that can often hinder Christians. Paul explains how our old sinful nature still exists and tempts us to fail in fulfilling the will of God: I delight in the Law of God after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members (Rom. 7:22-23).

Just as God commanded Moses to destroy the sinful Amalekites, we are to allow our sin nature to be destroyed. Our old man is crucified with Him (Christ), that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin (6:6).

Although love was to be Israel's guiding principle, the love of God was not to be interpreted as sentimental weakness or indifference toward lawlessness.

This principle of justice is based on the unchangeable nature of God and is implanted within every Christian. Furthermore, the weak person and the wronged person are to be protected; evildoers are to be dealt with according to their crime.

For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other Commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the Law (Rom. 13:9-10).

Thought for Today:

God carefully takes note of every thought and intent of the heart.
Christ Revealed:

Through the deliverance of the Israelites from Egypt and Pharaoh (Deut. 26:8). Our Lord Jesus Christ . . . gave Himself for our sins, that He might deliver us from this present evil world (Gal. 1:3-4).
Word Studies:

24:3 hate, dislike; 24:4 abomination, detestable; 24:10 pledge, a loan, security; 25:1 unto judgment, to court; 25:13 divers, different; 26:5 sojourned, dwelled temporarily; 26:6 evil entreated us, treated us harshly; bondage, cruel slavery; 26:10 set, offer; 26:14 in my mourning, in distress, defiled ceremonially; hearkened, listened; 26:18 peculiar people, treasured possession; 26:19 holy, consecrated; 27:11 charged, commanded; 27:15 an abomination, a detestable thing; 27:16 setteth light by, disgraces, dishonors; 27:19 perverteth the judgment, denies justice or the rights; 27:24 smiteth, strikes, kills; 27:25 taketh reward, accepts a bribe; 27:26 confirmeth not, fails to live by word of this Law.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Barbara Bivens • Country: Tibet (province of China) (4.6 million, from 1990 census) in eastern Asia • Major language: Tibetan • The Chinese government is still committed to promoting atheism, while at the same time, officially permitting Lamaism (a form of Buddhism) • 97% Tibetan Buddhist; 1% Muslim; 1% Bon; 1% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Pray that at all times you will find pleasure in what pleases the Lord (Phil. 2:13).
Optional Reading: Luke 24

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk