Purple Martins

Started by Dee Gee, March 29, 2009, 08:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catwoman

I'm still looking for my brown thrush that usually shows up in my back yard...although, why don't they call them red thrushes?  They're more of a red-brown, to my eye.

Wilma

The resident robin has babies.  Three of them.  Daughter saw them sticking their mouths up to be fed.

I saw my first hummingbird yesterday.  A ruby throat.  He didn't stay long.  Just long enough to check out the honeysuckle.

Wilma

There are four babies.  I saw them myself today and took some pictures.

Otherwise, I am having a real treat today.  There are two doves in my yard that look like turtle doves, only smaller with a little more striping.  I have concluded that they are young turtle doves that their parents have brought to the spot where I throw bird feed.  They have been picking at the ground and a couple of larger turtle doves have been flying in like they are checking on them.  They have been out there for quite a while now.  I have never seen young turtle doves before, but I am pretty sure that is what these are.

Wilma

The young turtle doves are now up in the feeder. 

The picture is the robins.  In case you need to be told.

Diane Amberg

That's a great photo.

Wilma

Thank you.  Considering that my camera is a Kodak digital and I took the pictures from my back porch, using the zoom feature.  Then I cropped and tweaked a bit.

sixdogsmom

Just darling Wilma, lucky you!  ;)
Edie

Wilma

My back yard has been a real treat for me this spring.  On top of everything else out there, there is a family of baby bunnies in the iris patch.  I just saw two of them try to venture out, but something scared them back.  There are at least two kinds of hummingbirds visiting the honeysuckle and I think the chickadees are feeding babies from my feeder.

Jo McDonald

Fred and I drove out to Polk Daniels Lake Saturday evening - it was our 62nd wedding anniversary - and we were just enjoying the day, doing nothing and loving every minute of it.  The lake is so very pretty and the willows around the north side are awesome.  One of them had a "whole house" full of blue indigo buntings.  I was thrilled to see them...so vibrant and when there were several at a time flying around it was a beautiful sight.  I hated driving away from them.  But we were hungry, so went to Poplar and had dinner.  It is always nice to eat there -- wonderful food and good fellowship with others that are enjoying their meal.
  So as Sunday morning we started working on our 63rd year.  lol

Jo
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Diane Amberg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk