What Are You Reading?

Started by sixdogsmom, March 27, 2009, 01:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indygal

I used to be one of the biggest Stephen King fans on the planet. Bought them all in hardcover before the ink was dry. Gave them all to my son-in-law a few years ago. I just lost interest, or he failed to hold my interest, after Hearts in Atlantis. I think the accident dampened his creative spark.The Stand will always be a favorite, and I really enjoyed his short-story collections. I wasn't crazy about the Gunslinger/Dark Tower series, but I read them anyway...being his biggest fan and all ...LOL.

I'm also a "series" reader, and one of my favorites was the Earth Children series by Jean Auel that started with Clan of the Cave Bear. Well researched and highly entertaining. The later books in the series wandered off into Bodice-Ripper-Land, but were still good reads.

I'm currently re-reading Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins.

jensarlou

As much as all of you guys read have any of ya'll considered an e-reader (electronic readed)?  If you are familiar with it what are your thoughts?  I am considering getting one and would love some feedback.  Does anyone here like to read books more than once?
Andrea

pamsback

If a book is good I'll read it more than once lol I read Gone With the Wind 11 times growing up! Most Louis L'Amour books I've read more than once, specially the Sackett ones.

Wilma

Jensarlou's question.  Yes, yes, yes, yes and YES.  With my memory they are always new to me.  I will sometimes get into a book before I realize that I have read it before, but I go ahead and read it again.  With mysteries, I will have forgotten the ending after several years.  Makes it all the more fun.  I can also hide my own Easter eggs and buy my own Christmas presents.

pamsback

I don't know anything about e-readers..I've seen em on TV but that's about it :P

Warph

Quote from: larryJ on September 18, 2009, 09:18:18 AM
Just finished Michael Connellys "Brass Verdict."  Good book if you like mysteries and/or cops and robbers sort of thing.  Currently working on Robert Ludlum's "The Promethus Deception".  I have read all the books written by Robert Ludlum even those that are published with him as the author even though he is long gone.  I have also read all the books by Michael Connelly.  Both of these authors are great story tellers.

Larryj

Larry.... our taste on thrillers run together..... if you like Ludlum, here is a few authors in the same vein you might go for:  David Hagberg, David Silva, Brad Thor, Vince Flynn (reading his "Extreme Measures" now), Stephen Coonts, Joel Rosenberg.  I'm also a big fan of Tom Clancy, Ken Follett, Frederick Forsyth and probably my favorite is John La Carré.

We have a well stocked library here where I live.  It's cheap.  Just go in and pick out what you want to read.  Since I suffer from insomnia at times, it gives me a chance to read.
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

sixdogsmom

Okay, Diane and Pam, you are in a lot of trouble! I took your advice and bought a small lot of Tony Hillerman books on Ebay. Those got slurped down like goldfish at an oldtime frat party. I have since purchased 12 more and am on the third one of those. HELP! I can't stop reading! I am enjoying them thoroughly, but canot help thinking of my Mom and how much she would have enjoyed these as she did love a mystery! They are clean as a whistle, something she would have appreciated. I really hate to start a book and then throw it away because it just uses pages as an excuse to write dirty. I am certainly no prude, but gross is gross! My Mom used to read a series of mysteries that centered around cats, does anyone know who that author was?
Edie

Mom70x7

Lilian Jackson Braun ? ? ? she wrote The Cat Who . . . books.

sixdogsmom

That sounds right--- I will have to try one. I am not necessarily a mystery buff, but I am enjoying the Hillerman books. Thanks, Mom!
Edie

pamsback

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk