What Are You Reading?

Started by sixdogsmom, March 27, 2009, 01:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Just finished reading the Sharon Kinne Story.

Sharon Kinne has been featured on Unsolved Mysteries and she was a onetime school classmate and a customer at the grocery store where I worked as a teenager.

In 1960, she murdered her sleeping husband and pinned the killing on her three year old daughter. The police suspected her but could not determine anything different. The child, believe it or not, was familiar with hand guns and pushed the safety off and pulled the trigger of the unloaded murder weapon in the presence of police.

A short time later she murdered the wife of a car salesman she was dating in hope the salesman would marry her. The murder weapon was never found. A jury refused to convict her.

The death of her husband was reopened and she was tried for that murder. A jury convicted her and she went to prison but she won a new trial on appeal and was released on bond. Several families put up their homes to satisfy the bond.

While in prison, she became known as an "enforcer" and she acquired a new "husband" with the name Margaret. 
Out on bond, a new trial for killing her husband resulted in a hung jury. A follow up trial was stopped early in the proceedings.

While awaiting yet another trial and still subject to bond she decided to go to Mexico on vacation with a new acquaintance.  In Mexico she murdered one man and wounded another. The Mexicans sentenced her to thirteen years in prison.

Among the items she had in her possession in Mexico was the murder weapon used to kill the salesman's wife.

Since she did not show up for trial back home in Independence, Missouri, the several families lost all they had to the bondsman.

She escaped from the Mexican prison in 1969 and has not been heard from since.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Warph

Just finished "American Assassin" by Vince Flynn and halfway through his new one, "Kill Shot"... need my Mitch Rapp picker-upper from time to time!  This should hold me until "Last Man" his new book that comes out in the fall of this year.

The wife is reading "The Amatuer".... dare I pick it up? ???

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Janet Harrington

I am reading the book, "The Amatuer". Good book. Makes you realize just what this President has done to our country. (As if you didn't already know).

Warph

Read this Book about what this piece-of-trash President is trying to do to YOU, YOUR CHILDREN AND GRAND-CHILDREN!
...Warph

"Politics is fought between the forty yard lines," remarked Charles Krauthammer just after Obama was elected in 2008. Krauthammer is right about nearly everything, but his rule clearly warrants an exception when applied to Barack Obama and his administration. Attorney David Limbaugh shows why in this new book.
This is the second book in Limbaugh's very readable and insightful narrative of Barack Obama's Presidency. "The Great Destroyer" picks up where "Crimes Against Liberty" left off in 2010. Limbaugh meticulously narrates how the President has been striding to the liberal goal line with nearly every policy, appointment and statement since taking office. Almost without exception, Obama implements or supports policies that negate America's founding principles--individual liberty, limited government and the rule of law are among the casualties in the President's war on the Republic.

You say, "'War on the Republic.' That's a little strong, don't you think?"

You might think so until you read the book. I am a political junkie, but even I was shocked to see the extreme scope of Obama's anti-American assault.

"Oh, but this was written by a Limbaugh, and Limbaughs are well known for their conservatism."

If any liberal or so-called "independent" judgmentally dismisses The Great Destroyer simply because Limbaugh is a conservative, point out that people can present evidence objectively even if they personally are not neutral. First, neutral people rarely have the interest or expertise to write books! But more importantly, you can't dismiss what Limbaugh says simply because he supports conservative policies. That's a fallacy that cuts both ways--you'd have to dismiss everything Obama says because he supports liberal policies. The truth is, everyone has political beliefs. The issue is not those beliefs, but the evidence one presents!

David Limbaugh presents a wealth of evidence that Barack Obama is inflicting unprecedented injuries on America and the liberties of its citizens. He does the work the mainstream media refuses to do. In addition to using neutral sources, such as the Congressional Budget Office for financial data, Limbaugh quotes several liberals, administration officials, and, of course, Barack Obama himself to make the irrefutable case that Obama's ultra-liberal positions are resulting in catastrophic negative effects for America. Unfortunately, his case is quite compelling.

"The Great Destroyer" is well organized by topic. Chapter headings include: The War on America, The War on Our Culture and Values, The War on the Economy, The War on Our Future, The War on Business, The War America's National Security, and several others. The book also includes several helpful charts that display, at a glance, the current and impending disaster known as Obama's economic policies.

Since "The Great Destroyer" is over 500 pages (including nearly 100 pages of endnotes), I can only summarize a few revelations that Limbaugh provides. These are from just two chapters of "The Great Destroyer".

From "The War on Values and Culture":

* In prepared remarks, Vice President Biden said he had no objections to China's forced abortion policy.

* With several new policies and edicts, Obama has ensured that federal funds are now paying for abortion. He is clearly the most pro-abortion president in history.

* Education Secretary Arne Duncan warned public school districts about blocking students from forming gay themed organizations.

* HHS administrator Pam Hyde declared, "Your federal government has finally come out of the closet in support of LGBT youth." HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said, "I want to tell you, you have a friend in this administration, who will stand beside you each and every step along the way."

* Obama's HHS website promoted the idea that kids may "experiment" with homosexuality.

* The Obama Administration initially refused to publicize the results of their own study that abstinence education programs actually work.

* President Obama declared his support for "age-appropriate" sex education for kindergarteners.

* The survey of our military men and women about "Don't Ask Don't Tell" may have been a sham to mislead Congress--the executive report of the findings was written before the survey was actually taken!

* Attorney General Eric Holder and Obama appear to be in collusion in refusing to defend, and even attempting to overturn, democratically decided laws defining marriage as between one man and one woman.

* In July 2011, Holder ordered Banks to relax mortgage qualifications for the poor--the same insane policy that led to the housing crash in the first place!

* Obama's Justice Department refuses to prosecute several grievous injustices including video-taped voter intimidation by Black Panthers, and video-taped instances of potential sex trafficking, prostitution and underage abortions by Planned Parenthood.

* Obama not only lifted the ban on federal funding of embryonic stem cell research (which has yet to cure any human being of a disease), he rescinded President Bush's executive order to fund adult stem cell research (which has resulted in treating more than a hundred diseases and medical conditions). Obama is the "anti-science" president, not Bush!

* Obama's stance against the freedom of religious organizations to hire people with their values was so extreme that the Supreme Court ruled against him 9-0 (even Obama's own liberal appointees disagreed with him!).

From "The War on the Economy":

* Contrary to his claim to save or create 3.5 million jobs, Obama has actually lost almost 4.1 million jobs - a jobs deficit of 7.6 million.

* February 2012 was the worst one-month debt in U.S. history: $219 Billion (Bush's deficit for all of 2007 was less than that!).

* Four years in a row, Obama's deficits have or will be in excess of $1 trillion, dwarfing President Bush's deficits.

* Obama has added more to the debt in three plus years than Bush added in eight.

* Obama and his team have engaged in accounting gimmickry and unrealistic rosy predictions in an attempt to make their dismal plans look less dismal.

* New research into 108 national economies shows that government "stimulus" spending--staunchly advocated by Obama--tends to have a net negative effect on the economy.

* Despite promising not to raise taxes on those making less than $250,000 per year, ObamaCare will result in 17 new taxes or penalties that will burden all Americans.

* Costs for ObamaCare will be nearly double original estimates (and most of the program hasn't even started yet!).

* Despite the President promising that people could keep their current health insurance plan, multiple sources report that a majority will loose their current coverage under Obamacare.

* Union members comprise only 12 percent of all employees, but the Obama Administration has granted them 50.3 percent of all ObamaCare waivers. (By the way, if ObamaCare is such a good deal, why does anyone want a waiver?)

David Limbaugh provides more revelations in these two chapters and the other ten. You really need to get the book to appreciate the full breadth of the destruction--destruction that you are not going to hear from the mainstream media.

In the era of Obama, politics in America is no longer fought between the forty yard lines. Americans need to read The Great Destroyer to encourage enough voters to begin running the ball the other way--back to the principles that made America great.
--Warph

-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Janet Harrington

I have a friend who has this book and I plan on borrowing it when I can.

Teresa

Just finished all the 'Shades of Gray" books..
whew~~~~~~ I'd of been able to finish them faster but I had to keep going in and taking cold showers..  ;D

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Warph

"Fool me once; shame on you.
                                Fool me twice; shame on me."

A soon-to-be-released, game-changing election book will reveal the blueprint for a second Barack Obama presidential term.

Slated for national release Aug. 7 by WND Books, "Fool Me Twice: Obama's Shocking Plans for the Next Four Years Exposed" uncovers the template for Obama's next four years – the actual, extensive plans created by Obama's own top advisers and progressive strategists.

The book is available right now at:
http://www.amazon.com/Fool-Me-Twice-Shocking-Exposed/dp/1936488574#_
http://superstore.wnd.com/sales/Obama-Store

The explosive book unveils all the main areas of Obama's second-term domestic policy onslaught – jobs, wages, health care, immigration "overhaul," electoral "reform," national energy policy, Pentagon plans and much more.

"Fool Me Twice" is written by New York Times bestselling author, journalist and radio host Aaron Klein, together with New York Times bestselling author and researcher Brenda J. Elliott.

Just as in 2008, when Obama concealed his true presidential plans behind the rhetoric of ending partisan differences and cutting the federal deficit, his 2012 re-election theme of creating jobs conceals far more than it reveals about his true agenda for a second term.

Watch the trailer for "Fool Me Twice" here:

Most conservative books about Obama focus on his radical background and what he has done until now. A small number of ambitious projects attempt to show what America may look like after four more years of Obama based on generalities and what the president has already done.

While many are expressing general concerns over Obama's future ambitions, "Fool Me Twice" lays bare the devastating details and consequences of a second Obama term as president.

The book is based on exhaustive research into Obama's upcoming detailed presidential plans and policies, as well as the specific second-term recommendations of major "progressive" groups behind Obama and the Democratic leadership – the organizations that help craft legislation and set the political and rhetorical agenda for the president and his allies.

Here are a few highlights of dozens and dozens of second term plans uncovered in "Fool Me Twice":
•        An expansive, de facto amnesty program for illegal aliens via executive order and interagency directives linked with a reduction in the capabilities of the U.S. Border Patrol and plans to bring in untold numbers of new immigrants with the removal of caps on H-1B visas and green cards.

•        Government-funded, neighborhood-based programs to better integrate the newly amnestied immigrants into society, including education centers and healthcare centers. A "federal solution" to ensure that the amnestied immigrants are treated "equitably" across the United States.

•        The recreation of a 21st century version of FDR's Works Progress Administration program within the Department of Labor that would oversee a massive new bureaucracy and millions of new federal jobs;

•        Specific plans for a National Infrastructure Bank. This entity would "evaluate and finance infrastructure projects 'of substantial regional and national importance" and would finance "transportation infrastructure, housing, energy, telecommunications, drinking water, wastewater, and other infrastructures."

•        Wresting control of the military budget from Congress by attempting to place an "independent panel" in charge of military spending while slashing the defense budget in shocking ways.

•        The vastly reduced resources of the U.S. Armed Forces will be spread even thinner by using them to combat "global warming," fight global poverty, remedy "injustice," bolster the United Nations and step up use of "peacekeeping" deployments;

•        A new "green" stimulus program and the founding of a federal "green" bank or "Energy Independence Trust," which would borrow from the federal treasury to provide low-cost financing to private-sector investments in "clean energy."

•        Detailed plans to enact single-payer health care legislation controlled by the federal government.
[/font][/size]
--Warph

-- Warph

larryJ

In anticipation of a possible upcoming back surgery, my wife had asked a friend who reads a lot if she had some books she could borrow while recovering.  Included were some that she wasn't interested in reading and so passed them on to me.  So.......

I just finished the John Grisham book "The Testament."  Grisham usually always writes about lawyers as his main characters and this one was the same.  It can drag in parts, but overall was a good book.  I would recommend it.

The next one will be James Patterson's "Pop goes the weasel" if I haven't already read it.  You know how that works.  You can't remember if you read it and then after the first few pages, its "I've already read this one."   ;)

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Wilma

I have been trying to start Grisham's "The Confession".  I picked it up again this morning and had read one page, when Bud decided it was lap time.  I just finished a Jason Bourne, which is pretty violent and bloody for me, but for some reason I find him fascinating. 

My all time favorite Grisham story is "The Client", the movie more than the book.  I would like to see a sequel to it where Reggie, the lawyer is in trouble, and the client who is now an adult and has become a successful attorney due to his experience with Reggie, comes back to save her from a horrible fate.  Since he has been in the Witness Protection Program since leaving Reggie's community, his only proof of his former identity is the compass she gave him as he was boarding the plane that took him and his family away.  Do you think we could get Mr. Grisham to write it?

Janet Harrington

I have been reading lots and lots of free books on my Kindle Fire. I dearly love it. Lots of thrillers, mystery stuff, paranormal, religious, war, I just do an assortment. lOL

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk