Is Walking to School Safe?

Started by Wilma, March 26, 2009, 07:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

This is something that occurred to me while reading School Changes and wanted to ask it there.  But I think that School Changes should stay focused on just that.

I walked to school up until I was a junior in high school and we lived more than a couple of miles from the school.  I walked as much as 2 miles and as little as half a block.  Of course, there was always someone to walk with if I wanted and it was required until we moved to a small town where it was just a hop and skip to get to school.

Today the situation is totally different.  Do you think it is safe to let the small ones walk to school now?

Is it possible for the small ones to always have older children to walk with them?

Is it possible for the older ones that drive to school to transport the younger ones to their destination?

What is the situation now?  The last time one of mine was in school, it was a half block walk to school or to catch the bus to school.  Today, that child is a grandmother 5 times over.  Have times changed so much that we have to look at this entirely differently? 

Tobina+1

That's a good question, Wilma!  But I think the answers can vary.  It probably depends on where the school is located (on a street or on a highway).  For example, if the grade school and high school would combine in Howard, if I lived in town, I'd have a hard time letting my kids walk there.  Reason:  Not really any good sidewalks to/from the school, and the only way in/out is via roads (vs. city streets with sidewalks).  Now, if I lived in Moline or Severy, YES, my kids would walk to school (correction... I'd walk with my kids to school).

It really amazes me driving through Wichita how many kids you see walking to/from school on the busiest streets!  I think that I would never allow my kids to do that!

But another good question... where did the bus stops go?  Why drive all the way around town when it's much smarter to have a "bus stop" where kids meet and get on the bus?  There are some schools that even make the country kids meet at a bus stop.

Lookatmeknow!!

I agree totally about the bus stops.  For one it would take less time, the driver wouldn't have to sit and wait at each person's house the required time if they didn't come out.  When we lived at the old place, the water would always go over the Y down from our house.  I have had to take Parker down the road to meet the bus because the bus didn't want to cross over the water with all the other kids on it.  To me that is a very good driver, and not only thinking about getting Parker but the safety of the others on the bus.  But I have started taking my kids to daycare with me in the morning.  This saves the bus from coming out our way and they don't have to get on so early in the morning.  No one down our road gets on the bus anymore.  We live on Killdeer road, just a mile from town or a little more but not to much, and the time that we and the other kids on the road were to get on the bus was at 6:20, 6:30 and 6:40.  We used to get on the bus at 7:10 or 7:15.  I just figured that the girls could sleep in a little longer and I could take them to the bus at the daycare.  I have other kids that get on at the daycare, but what blows my mind is that our rental house on the corner there is a the bus that stops there, and at the daycare.  Plus another different bus that comes up Elk street, too.  Why couldn't that bus that comes up Elk street stop at the corner of the daycare and get the kids from my daycare plus the neighbor kids?  I don't even try to figure their reasoning about this one.  I was mad enough that kids that lived further out get on later than my kids that live closer.  To me it makes more sense to start the route furthest away form the ending place.  But I couldn't get an answer on that one, and they wouldn't change the time for us, so I did what I had to do to make my kids bus ride the shortest as possible. 

I would think that parents would want to help shorten the bus ride of the children.  I have more trouble with my kids getting in trouble on the bus than at school.  My middle child is in Kindergarten.  She had a problem with staying in her seat.  As her parents, we told her why it was so important to stay in her seat.  But they had to move her.  I was ok with that, but they put her in a seat with a 5th grade boy.  I was not ok with that.  I feel that they needed to at least put her in a seat with a girl especially if they were going to be that much older.

I would have no problem taking my kids to the high school to save money.  I feel that we need to do what is best for the kids and if that means that I have to get up and take them a mile to meet the bus that it is well worth it.
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

wasadeay

hmmm... i would think this would depend on many factors.  As a child my mother, as most others at the time, were able to stay home and take care of their children, walk or drive them to school.  I don't believe that is still the trend today.  I know it was not an option for me personally when I had little ones at home. Most parents also did not have to rise at 4am to drive 60 miles to work as we lived in an area where work was plentiful.

It doesn't seem to me that I recall meth houses, packs of dogs running loose, teenage drivers (many too young to have even a legal learner's permit)  ripping up and down the street, drug dealer's, drunks or a lack of local police officers in my area either. 

We had mother's up and down the block standing on the porches, and watching out their windows, and I might add that all of the neighbors and townfolk seemed to have my mother's permission to keep an eye on me, and not hesitate to get involved should problems arise (including snatching us up by the ear if we needed it!) I'm pretty sure that we have way too many folks these days not paying enough attention to their own children, let alone others.  We all know that we had "bad guys" back then, but it seems to me that those people kept to themselves and did their thing.  I truly don't remember spotting someone walking the street that was obviously strung out on drugs, or intoxicated on a regular basis.  Severy and Moline if I'm not mistaken have no local police to be on "school patrol" and West Elk sits on the edge of town on the highway.  :o

Our society has become such that most people refuse to become involved out of fear.   Fear that those who don't seem to correct their own children will have us arrested for making an attempt to do so.  And would you seriously put your child in a car with a teenage driver?  OR  Would you allow your responsible teenager to run a car pool and expect them to "ride herd" on youngsters while driving as well as risking the lawsuits in the event of an accident that could occur?  It's all sad...but all so true in today's world.

I realize we are not living in wichita out here, but stop and think about how many of the evils I've mentioned exist in our small towns........all of them!  I can't say I wouldn't let my children walk to school.... depending on where I lived from the school, and the age of the children, the people or situation in my area, etc. etc. etc........ lots of etc's!!! It wouldn't work for the majority I don't believe!  I don't think risking the safety of the kidos who's momma's don't have the luxury of walking/driving them to school.  I'm pretty convinced if cuts have to be that deep we could definately face reality and do without a few other things first!  I would almost bet we spend much more on fuel running to sporting events!  I'm sure no one would consider changing that.....so I find it outrageous that we'd consider this....I think something else would have to go!

Lookatmeknow!!

I was just having this conversation with my girls this morning.  They were telling me that their bus driver is mean.  I told them the true hard facts.  If there is alot of talking and running around on the bus, the drivers has to look in their mirror all the time.  He/she is taking there eyes off the road everytime they have to do this.  Is that safe?  Is the driver really being mean by making them mind?  NO!  I told them he has a whole bus of kids to transport safely to and from schools.  I think I made a point to them.  I walked to school.  But I lived in Severy right beside the Coop.  I wasn't to far from the school nor was there anyone to worry about.  Also in the summer, we were everywhere in town.  The only thing that we had to worry about was at crop cutting seasons and the trucks coming in and out of the coop.  We used to that and knew that we had to be on the look out for them.  No bad teenage drivers, no unattended children, and just like you stated all parents looked out for each and every kid.

When it comes to sports, I have said all along- Pay to play!  If your child wants to play a sport you pay a fee, the money could go towards many things.  When I was a cheerleader, we paid like 125.00 to try out.  This covered our camp cost and we also had to pay for our shoes and any extra things we needed.  Not sure what the policy is on this now.  Of course, I live on a farm but feel that the FFA does an outstanding job of supporting its events.  They raise and sell sausage and different things.

Tobina+1

Angie; I admire you as a parent.  To actually teach your girls about why the bus driver comes across as "mean" and not just jumping to defend your girls and gripe about the driver.  That's just not something we often hear about these days, when parents always assume that their kids are right and use any reason to point fingers at someone else.

Lookatmeknow!!

Tobina, I actually know how my girls are way to well!!  They like to talk, and alot!! :laugh:  I think that having been a teacher makes it alot easier.  I know that my kids are by no means the best behaved, but we are parents try.  I also know who they are complaining about and know that he has been driving for many years and he would be mean if he didn't have the best interest of the kids at heart.  Thanks Tobina!!

Tobina+1

Not that my parents didn't have sympathy for us, but they cut us NO slack, either.  I remember complaining about kids at school, and mom saying... "just ignore them."  or "just walk away or sit somewhere else."  or "find new friends."  or "well, what did YOU say first?"  It taught me to have friends that were true friends, rather than just nice when they wanted to be.  It also taught me compassion for other kids who got picked on, too.

Oh, and my parents stuck to their guns, too.  They threatened me that if I got a "C" in History my 7th grade year that I couldn't go out for track... and I did get one... and they didn't let me go out.  I was CRUSHED, as I loved to run!  But they didn't back down, and next year I didn't get a "C" (and I chose track over volleyball).  Also, grounding mean HAVING to ride the BUS!  Yuck!  When you're in high school, there's no bigger incentive to be good to your siblings.  And it wasn't just for a day, it was for a week!

Diane Amberg

I had to laugh. A bunch of my friends retired and now drive school buses. The kids will be happy to tell you that the "mean" drivers are the ones who don't put up with any nonsense. No standing, no seat hopping, no tormenting. If they have to, they just pull over and sit there and wait until the kids settle. Occasionally they will take the bus back to school! The drivers will play music for the kids, their choice if they behave....classic opera and his choice if they get too silly. All our buses have communication radios to the school and some of the rough routes have cameras on board.

Teresa

wasadeay I agree with you..............

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk